You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

makedo-wp-pinball-machine.jpg
81SzLEXWIML._SL1500_.jpg
rawr-just-kidding-im-only-a-turtle.jpg
gotpro.jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Just looked over the freshly released photos of GOT. I think Stern made a huge mistake in scaling the pro back as far as they did from the premium and the LE on this game. To completely take away the upper playfield on the left side completely changes this game. It truly resembles something more like The Pin rather than a pro.

This isn't a thread to bash on Stern, I think the LE and the premium look amazing assuming that the premium is going to have the same playfield layout as the LE. Hints back to BK2K, SOF, etc. make no mistake though, Stern makes their money within the volume of pros that they sell, not by selling premiums and LE's in limited numbers. The empty look and completely stripped back appearance of the pro on this game is really going to hurt sales. I could be wrong, but I just can't see people being happy with the pro on this version if they've ever seen or played the premium. That, combined with a raised MSRP for all three models could really be an issue. I don't have the money for a premium or an LE but you can be damn sure I'm going to hunt one down and play one because it looks really cool!

#2 8 years ago

I totally agree, i was considering GOT pro instead of twd, but seeing how poor it looks compared to premium/le, combined with overall very amateur-looking artwork on translite and cabinet.... twd pro wins.

the gameplay of pre/le looks real cool!

#3 8 years ago

I really was hoping Stern would stop making major gameplay differences between the models. I'd imagine it even costs them money since they have to produce two versions of code and design 2 playfields for one game. In my perfect world Stern would keep LE and Premium the way they are with just cosmetics and then design it so if you purchased a pro you could later add-on to make it a premium with bolt ons (costing you more if you get them all) if you decided to. Then you could even cherry pick something you really wanted such as spinners for Mets Pro.

#4 8 years ago

The PRO of GOT looks bad. I can't believe how bad.

#5 8 years ago

I think that is a really good idea! TWD has really come along way in regards to code and is a really fun game to play now. The artwork, toys and layout are going to be much better than what I see on the pro version of GOT

Quoted from Edenecho:

I totally agree, i was considering GOT pro instead of twd, but seeing how poor it looks compared to premium/le, combined with overall very amateur-looking artwork on translite and cabinet.... twd pro wins.
the gameplay of pre/le looks real cool!

#6 8 years ago

The big trend you'll start to see after the GOT Pro has been on the market for a little while is people wanting to move their game to upgrade to something much more full-featured like...Avatar Pro

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

The big trend you'll start to see after the GOT Pro has been on the market for a little while is people wanting to move their game to upgrade to something much more full-featured like...Avatar Pro

Avatar was a $5400 piece of a equipment during the cost cutting era and this will be $6000 during a boom period. I'm just going to go full EM and stop thinking about it, modern pinball is too much for me.

#8 8 years ago

Less features equals less maintenance for the Pros, which are supposed to be on location.

Just saying.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Less features equals less maintenance for the Pros, which are supposed to be on location.
Just saying.

And rental cars should not have heat, air conditioning, and radios.

#10 8 years ago

Back in my day windows had buttons to get them up or down and it was called standard… F you stern I am out.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm just going to go full EM and stop thinking about it, modern pinball is too much for me.

I'm with you. I started about a year ago. Got a Centigrade 37, Atlantis & Abra Ca Dabra and couldn't be happier. All 3 for WAY less than any NIB being sold. I still like 'modern' pins and will keep the ones I have, but the bang for the buck just isn't there any more.

#12 8 years ago

If Stern goes back to the days of designing games, even if it's at the pro level, for location use only... They are dead as a company! Just saying!

The only reason they survived outside of their new investors and forced improvements in game offerings because of competition like JJP is that Gary finally buckled and started catering to the home market. A certain percentage of that market only buys the pro games but they want something more full-featured than what this offers.

#13 8 years ago

This pro is definitely a step backward it may rival WWE in sales numbers.

#14 8 years ago

Link to photos?

#15 8 years ago

This is how Ac/Dc looked felt too. St was decent because there was no MAJOR toy to remove. ST was Steves cost cutting game. Maybe they gimped his budget every other game.

#16 8 years ago

I predict an uptick in TWD Pro and Kiss Pro sales after this announcement. Disappointing to see so much stripped off on GOT Pro! Let's hope Dwight can program a hell of a rule-set because that's the only thing that might be able to save it. ACDC Pro is also stripped down but at least it has Lyman's rule-set to fall back on.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Just saying.

I think the best game on route right now is the most featured packed, rainbow seizure out there, not the most basic and easy to maintain one!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Just saying.

Just saying?

What are you just saying?

That's a pretty lame point.

Just saying.

Operators haven't been clamoring for games with "less features," ever. Well they did in the late 80s but when Premier built them nobody bought any.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

If Stern goes back to the days of designing games, even if it's at the pro level, for location use only... They are dead as a company! Just saying!

haha, really? I'd wager Stern sold more of their last pro version than any other current company has sold in total.

#20 8 years ago

Have to agree as well. The pro looks..... Well.....

#21 8 years ago

Can someone post a link to these photos.

#22 8 years ago

gotpro.jpggotpro.jpg

#23 8 years ago

I'm with you on this one Brian. I had funds ready to go. I'm a Pro buyer, not a pre/LE buyer. I'm out on this one for now by the looks of it. I can deal with some things missing from a pro, but damn....this one looks stripped.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

This is how Ac/Dc looked felt too. St was decent because there was no MAJOR toy to remove. ST was Steves cost cutting game. Maybe they gimped his budget every other game.

However, on ACDC, the lower playfield was not an interactive part of the game. On GoT, the upper playfield appears to be a significant part of the gameplay.

#25 8 years ago

The pro looks like it could be pretty fast and fun. We might all want to wait and see something in action or actually play a game before we decide it is garbage. Hell, if both the LE and pro are different enough and fun I might own both of them.

#26 8 years ago

You're making my point for me! What I'm saying is that the pro version of this game is such a vast departure from the LE and premium as opposed to the previous games that it's really going to hurt Stern.

Quoted from smokedog:

haha, really? I'd wager Stern sold more of their last pro version than any other current company has sold in total.

#27 8 years ago

I bet the only person excited about the pro model is Andrew Heighway.

#28 8 years ago

I'm glad I wasn't the only thinking the Pro looked like "The Pin"

Quoted from jgentry:

The pro looks like it could be pretty fast and fun. We might all want to wait and see something in action or actually play a game before we decide it is garbage. Hell, if both the LE and pro are different enough and fun I might own both of them.

Not saying garbage....just stripped down. But at the price....eeeshh..

#29 8 years ago

How can you tell this one is stripped down without pics of the other version as a point of reference?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

that it's really going to hurt Stern.

I disagree. AC/DC Pro sold a ton, and it had a giant face on it.

I think everyone should hold their wild speculations until the pin is available for play ... but, this is pinside after all.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

How can you tell this one is stripped down without pics of the other version as a point of reference?

There are pics.

#32 8 years ago

It kind of looks system 11ish. Like a HS or Taxi.

#33 8 years ago

Blowup the photo of the pro playfield and look at the rear left 1/4 of the playfield, nothing but dead, bare space. The Modders are going to have to really go to town in order to make the pro palatable.

At least the AC/DC pro had the Canon, Bell, jukebox and lockdown bar fire button as features/toys. If you compare this release to pro versions like Metallica, TWD, Kiss etc. as far as toys, artwork and features, well, you can't compare them...

#34 8 years ago

I don't know if it's that bad but very underwhelming. Doesn't look like it commands $6500. Maybe it will sell for way less than past pro's. Lol, yeah right.

#35 8 years ago

This is all optics. The pro has way more on it than other pros. Has drops, spinner, kickback, LEDs, just as many shots if not more. The problem is the LE/Premium is packed with stuff and it makes the pro look sparse, but objectively compared to TRON or KISS this pro has way more features.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't know if it's that bad but very underwhelming. Doesn't look like it commands $6500. Maybe it will sell for way less than past pro's. Lol, yeah right.

MSRP is 5995. Most people end up paying closer to 5

#37 8 years ago

Care to share? I just got into work and all I am finding is the pic already posted in this thread.

#38 8 years ago

So sad,was thinking this pro would be my first NIB but just can't see it, especially with a higher price

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Care to share? I just got into work and all I am finding is the pic already posted in this thread.

Go to Sterns Facebook page. THey are all there

#41 8 years ago

That pro looks like a white wood. That never got completed. Way to make a sh!t sandwich stern.

#42 8 years ago

I'm not here to argue with anyone, I was just making an observation based on the photos that were released. All I can say is that if I look at the pro playfield compared to previous models that Stern has put out, it looks sparse at best. A lot of dead space at the rear of the playfield where they have taken away the upper playfield and the artwork is very underwhelming. I will reserve all other observations until I see one in person

#43 8 years ago

Years of pinside comments about about previous Stern pins: "There's NO reason to buy Premium/LE because the gameplay is not significantly different."

Thy wish is granted.

#44 8 years ago

Met Pro and ST Pro are standing tall as lords of the pros right now.

#45 8 years ago

Why can't they just focus on one design of a game? Why change up the features of it? Just average out the price something in the middle of LE and Pro. I can see why they make the pro. So that others can buy a cheaper game. But to me, I'd think if you made only one version of the game, list it in the middle, both types of people would be happy. Those who normally but the Premium/LE would think they're getting a deal. And those who normally buy the Pro, would probably be comfortable spending another $1000, instead of $3000, to have all the features.

I don't know. Just my thoughts. Pinball machines used to be like this, right?

#46 8 years ago

It still has the interactive dragon!

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Why can't they just focus on one design of a game? Why change up the features of it? Just average out the price something in the middle of LE and Pro. I can see why they make the pro. So that others can buy a cheaper game. But to me, I'd think if you made only one version of the game, list it in the middle, both types of people would be happy. Those who normally but the Premium/LE would think they're getting a deal. And those who normally buy the Pro, would probably be comfortable spending another $1000, instead of $3000, to have all the features.

There is something with all the features and is in the middle for pricing. It's called the prem model.

But all the ppl looking to buy a pro will bitch and complain about the price

Then you will ppl bitch and complain about an upper play field

Then you will have ppl bitch and complain about a $7500 machine with bad art.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

And those who normally buy the Pro, would probably be comfortable spending another $1000, instead of $3000, to have all the features.

Pinball "used to be" like a 98 % market for operators, with scraps sold to the home market.

It's completely different now. Lord knows the real percentage but I wouldn't be shocked if it's close to 50/50 these days. The buyer's market has become flooded with big-spending newbies who will pay thousands of dollars more for a "premium" model. Stern is simply exploiting and adapting to the new market.

If things were like they "used to be" - thriving arcades and location pinball, with extremely rare home sales - this wouldn't make sense. But today it does. You all created this monster.

#49 8 years ago

Now I must humbly ask..what is "The Pin"? This phrase, what is its deeper meaning?

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

At least the AC/DC pro had the Canon, Bell, jukebox and lockdown bar fire button as features/toys. If you compare this release to pro versions like Metallica, TWD, Kiss etc. as far as toys, artwork and features, well, you can't compare them..

Disagree regarding AC/DC Pro
- Bell - original pros just had a standup target - no swinging bell
- Jukebox - all it is is some lights
- Fire Button - GoT has a fire button
- Canon - yes - that's the one item you got right
- GoT has 3 "toys" AC/DC doesn't have: the sword lock, battering ram and IM War Monger kicker

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pin-returns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.