(Topic ID: 52223)

"The Pin" no longer for sale at amazon

By frolic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Your_fired.gif
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago

The story of "The Pin" reminds me that sometimes non of us is a dumb as all of us.

I'm sure it started as a good idea. At some point, someone realized that this was not a great idea, but wasn't able to just pull the plug and walk away. Get enough people in a group that are afraid to speak their mind, and you get something like this machine. Maybe it wasn't all the machine, but the marketing and support.

I'm sorry to see it fail. It wasn't marketed to someone like me, so I certainly don't think it failed because of hobby/collector types. It might have been marketed differently.

Perhaps it's the distributor model that wouldn't allow it, but it seems like Stern should have put 4 or five of these at the entrance to every pinball show in the country for a year. They could have gotten some good PR out of it and maybe even encouraged the faithful to tell their more casually interested friends about it. They could have donated them a raffle prizes etc. You are either proud of your product or you are not.

#52 10 years ago

Maybe they will make more when the factory slows down 0_o

#53 10 years ago

It was gone for 2 weeks before on Amazon, then it came back.

I would not count it out quite yet.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Maybe they will make more when the factory slows down

If they are "selling out" and having to make more, that would be a success.... I just can't see it. But we'll check in a couple weeks.

#55 10 years ago

Personally I hope they don't completely abandon the idea, I would like to see them do something like Fender does with Squire, build them offshore somewhere else to keep costs down. Whatever they can do to drop the price. If they can get it down to around $1500 I could see some selling.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

If they can get it down to around $1500 I could see some selling.

Back in 1978 Bally sold 10,000 of the home Fireball for $750 each.

$750 in today's dollars is $2688.

So adjusted for inflation, Stern actually has the Pin priced historically correct.

#57 10 years ago

It will probably end up being a huge collectors item.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Back in 1978 Bally sold 10,000 of the home Fireball for $750 each.
    $750 in today's dollars is $2688.
    So adjusted for inflation, Stern actually has the Pin priced historically correct.

but hasn't peoples wages and everything increase since then? And pinball isn't what it was in the 70s? and back then we didn't have ebay to pick up older full machines from? and there wasn't 40 years of existing pins already selling cheaper

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

It will probably end up being a huge collectors item.

Like Vacation America?

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I played it at Costco and it was real pinball. Fast and fun.
    Yes, you can open it up and service it - don't believe the crap from people who've never even seen it.
    The manager at the store said he had sold a dozen as of a few months ago, not bad for a $2500 toy.

I had a lot of fun playing one at CES. It felt like real pinball to me with satisfying shots. As everyone has said, the price point was too high . . . I don't think it needed to be $999 to be successful though; they would have sold fine at the $1,999 price point in my view. I might have bought one for my son.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Its funny because they are idiots who dont learn from there mistakes.....They did this once before you know. They knew damn well it would not sell for that much. The only way this thing would have had any hope from day 1 was to sell it for less than 1,000 bucks.

Your pathetically biased review of the game on amazon was friggin lame. Naming Stern employees specifically by name was especially low. You even posted reviews on other items the same day to try to legitimize your obviously biased pin review. It was painfully obvious you had an agenda. In no way was that good for the hobby. You saying I told you so here is even more pathetic. Do us all a favor and try to make a positive contribution to the hobby now and then.

Anyone who hasn't read his 'review' should click on the link below and read it. Then look at the other reviews he posted the same day.

http://www.amazon.com/Stern-Transformers-Pin-Pinball-Machine/product-reviews/B009AVLBS0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt

#62 10 years ago

After making what I felt were very personable and constructive statements regarding the price of The Pin, my comment was deleted and I was promptly banned from posting on their YouTube videos. That was right after it was announced. One could've seen this coming a mile away just by looking at all of the other comments that were getting deleted. At one point, their were more deleted comments than readable ones.

I hate that it failed, but it seemed a fool's errand from the beginning.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Like Vacation America?

Vid is in this thread and he has the all time greatest quote I have ever heard about Vacation America . . . I think he said "it is charmingly awful".

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

but hasn't peoples wages and everything increase since then?

You got it! Here in the States we call it "inflation".

That is why today's dollar has a different buying power than a 1978 dollar.

Quoted from pinmanguy:

and back then we didn't have ebay to pick up older full machines from?

You just went to the local coin-op auction once a month in 1978.

100s of machines, much better than Ebay.

You brought your own extension cord and tried before you buyed'.

Quoted from pinmanguy:

and there wasn't 40 years of existing pins already selling cheaper

If you share the belief that the first real pinball machine with flippers was Humpty Dumpty in 1947, then there was 31 years of existing pins selling for cheaper in 1978.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Vid is in this thread and he has the all time greatest quote I have ever heard about Vacation America . . . I think he said "it is charmingly awful".

I always keep a lookout to buy one of those games.

Just to have Steve Kordek's last game is worthy of my quest.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Who saw this coming?????

Heard it was supposed to be just like a real pinball machine. Who doesn't love pinball?

#67 10 years ago

What makes me really sad is that Stern did not listen to the core market here on Pinside who said it would fail. Sure, they are going for a "blue ocean" strategy like Nintendo did with the Wii, but regardless: Few people want to spend $3K on an tiny piece of interactive furniture.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Like Vacation America?

Or Iron Man "Home Edition"?

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Anyone who hasn't read his 'review' should click on the link below and read it. Then look at the other reviews he posted the same day.

um at least i played it lol. TOLD YAH! Yescalling out powers and gary was oh so bad booo hisss ahhhhh. Getting a little personal there. Sorry I reviewed my kids skylanders. How many of those reviews up there with 5 stars are from Jody.......... Another one joins the ignore list. Getting might big these days. 23 people ha.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

What makes me really sad is that Stern did not listen to the core market here on Pinside who said it would fail.

The Pin is not marketed towards the core here at Pinside - that's for sure.

The Pin is marketed towards people who will impulse buy a game to go next to their pool table.

Someone who would never buy a used game.

Someone who is not a pinhead.

Someone who needs the security of an in-home warranty.

#71 10 years ago

I know of three owners total...of which I am one....we formed a collectors club. Actually I may even get the parts manual and wiring diagram soon I am told from Stern after dogging them. Jpop

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Pin is not marketed towards the core here at Pinside - that's for sure.
    The Pin is marketed towards people who will impulse buy a game to go next to their pool table.
    Someone who would never buy a used game.
    Someone who is not a pinhead.
    Someone who needs the security of an in-home warranty.

This is why it tanked... This "rec room" market goes to Sports Authority and buys $30 electronic dart boards and $500 pool tables, and that is about the max price of the casual market. Even at a grand it would be too high.

I think my main issue with Stern is that they don't seem to learn... They couldn't sell a superior decontented machine at Costco, how could they possibly think stripping one down even further for nearly the same price would work? How could everyone but them see this was a bomb?

#73 10 years ago

I know it's hard to fathom, but not only do the pinball companies know about Pinside, they also know when to ignore Pinside.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

I know of three owners total...of which I am one....we formed a collectors club. Actually I may even get the parts manual and wiring diagram soon I am told from Stern after dogging them. Jpop

Your open minded about the concept. That's pretty cool. I'd like to see a video review from you on this game.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

This "rec room" market goes to Sports Authority and buys $30 electronic dart boards and $500 pool tables, and that is about the max price of the casual market. Even at a grand it would be too high.

It really depends on where you live.

All of my neighbors have $3500+ billiard tables (you get your beer spit in if you call it a "pool table") in their basements. I have a client that has 3 billiard tables in what most people would call the dining room (he also has the obligatory Bally Playboy that I restored for him).

$2500 for a fast and fun, brand new pinball machine means nothing to a middle class household.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$2500 for a fast and fun, brand new pinball machine means nothing to a middle class household.

Correct but seeing as how these people are presumed to have some Equipment wouldnt you think they would ask the Amusement guy for a pin rather than pick one up at flapping costco?

#77 10 years ago

If you want the best example look at those expensive but cheap multicades that sell for $1500-3000 to the same target market. These have more appeal to a wider audience and I don't believe they sell that well either. Anything in the $3k range is a tough sell. To expensive for lower middle class in general and not real enough for the bigger earners that want something in there "Man" room to show off. I have been in many high end homes and this was nearly always the case.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Correct but seeing as how these people are presumed to have some Equipment wouldnt you think they would ask the Amusement guy for a pin rather than pick one up at flapping costco?

Most people probably don't have an "amusement guy" in their circle of friends.

Even if they knew me, I can't sell them a used machine with one year in home service for anywhere near $2500. The machines I restore are $3500+. I charge $75 /hr for a house call.

Even if I did have a really nice machine that I did not have to restore for lets say $1500, would the kids want a dated looking Bally Nitro that beeps and boops, or a ripping fast Transformers with 4 ball multi-ball, ramps, speech, great sound and lighting?

Exactly.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

If you want the best example look at those expensive but cheap multicades that sell for $1500-3000 to the same target market. These have more appeal to a wider audience and I don't believe they sell that well either. Anything in the $3k range is a tough sell. To expensive for lower middle class in general and not real enough for the bigger earners that want something in there "Man" room to show off. I have been in many high end homes and this was nearly always the case.

those multicades don't come from a big company though do they? They wouldn't have to be producing and investing as much cash into the whole process and would probably attract a larger marketbase considering that retro games are now cool and you get essentially the same games you would on a real cabinet but thousands more in one new cab.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Most people probably don't have an "amusement guy" in their circle of friends.

Even if they knew me, I can't sell them a used machine with one year in home service for anywhere near $2500. The machines I restore are $3500+. I charge $75 /hr for a house call.

Even if I did have a really nice machine that I did not have to restore for lets say $1500, would the kids want a dated looking Bally Nitro that beeps and boops, or a ripping fast Transformers with 4 ball multi-ball, ramps, speech, great sound and lighting?

Exactly.

I ment the person that they get pool tables from

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

those multicades don't come from a big company though do they?

If you are talking about those 60 in 1 multicades that are always on CL, they are built locally because they are not licensed products.

You probably don't want to get caught trafficking those across state lines, LOL.

$36 for the board and you can convert any JAMMA cabinet.

http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=47160&Pdtid=307139

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you are talking about those 60 in 1 multicades that are always on CL, they are built locally because they are not licensed products.
    You probably don't want to get caught trafficking those across state lines, LOL.
    $36 for the board and you can convert any JAMMA cabinet.
    http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=47160&Pdtid=307139

yeah I was into arcades before pins, that's what I was assuming but I wasn't 100% sure in the u.s what was being refered to, as I thought I remembered someone who had a company doing it (but i think their in jail now?).

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

think their in jail now?

daddona from automated and foley from ultracade.

#85 10 years ago

would it be difficult for a company to re make EM machines as solid state remakes and sell them at a home based price? Would that be cheaper not having to re do the art and design process and having a simpler table lay out?

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

This is why it tanked...

Quoted from Nevus:

I'm sorry to see it fail.

Guys. It didn't fail. It didn't tank. It sold out.

More coming later in the year. Don't get too excited lol

Quoted from pinmanguy:

would it be difficult for a company to re make EM machines as solid state remakes and sell them at a home based price? Would that be cheaper not having to re do the art and design process and having a simpler table lay out?

Maybe the guys who remade King of Diamonds could chime in. They remade an EM game w/ SS parts....crickets. I think it's safe to say THAT game tanked.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Bahahahahahahah!

All the Sad Sallys were so eager for it to fail....

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

would it be difficult for a company to re make EM machines as solid state remakes and sell them at a home based price?

That is what Bally did in the mid 80s, reissue the popular EMs with SS guts - but they sure did not sell them at home prices.

Stern is figuring the cost of producing Whoa Nellie right now, it will be interesting to hear what they come up with.

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That is awesome news!!! As I have said, if the price comes down a hair on these I will be buying one for my son. I think they are a lot of fun; they certainly feel like real pinball (and will fit in places like my son's room) . . . they are just a bit smaller and cheaper; it all comes down to price.

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is what Bally did in the mid 80s, reissue the popular EMs with SS guts - but they sure did not sell them at home prices.
    Stern is figuring the cost of producing Whoa Nellie right now, it will be interesting to hear what they come up with.

ok, I may be in the minority but I know i'd be all over re releases of em or earlier ss games if they could keep the costs down. They are also simpler and less maintenance to market to the home user but then again a home user not into pins will ikely be looking to a movie tie in or something they recognise rather then a retro looking art theme.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

ok, I may be in the minority but I know i'd be all over re releases of em or earlier ss games if they could keep the costs down. They are also simpler and less maintenance to market to the home user but then again a home user not into pins will ikely be looking to a movie tie in or something they recognise rather then a retro looking art theme.

Did you buy a King of Diamonds?

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you buy a King of Diamonds?

wasn't around then, also talking about someone large doing it with distribution that would be able to target the home market well not a boutique run if thats what that one was.

Another idea for something like that would be to try and target designers too if it's for the home, i know recently some design mags and stuff have started mentioning and showing pins as art work in the house

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe the guys who remade King of Diamonds could chime in. They remade an EM game w/ SS parts....crickets. I think it's safe to say THAT game tanked.

If that's the case, good news!

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Guys. It didn't fail. It didn't tank. It sold out.More coming later in the year. Don't get too excited lol Maybe the guys who remade King of Diamonds could chime in. They remade an EM game w/ SS parts....crickets. I think it's safe to say THAT game tanked.

If true, that's awesome. But how? Amazon showed an in-stock number that held at 14 units for months with no increase in sales or reviews. Then it sells out?

Maybe Stern moved the inventory to Costco or amazon decided to discontinue carrying the game, but I can't believe that amazon sold out overnight.

#95 10 years ago

Please make Whoah Nellie!

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Those are some juicy melons.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Amazon showed an in-stock number that held at 14 units for months with no increase in sales or reviews. Then it sells out?

if they were selling units, there would be more reviews beyond the first batch of plants + troll reviews. There were literally only 1 or 2 legit reviews. and none recently.

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Dennis Nordman told me at TPF that they were negotiating with Stern to make Whoa Nellie. That would be cool.

#99 10 years ago

They should have just had the whole thing made in China, MSRP $1500 and they'd have been good to go....

Pricing at at greater that the cost of an entire home entertainment system (big screen TV, sound system, DVD and an Xbox) was not a good strategy- at least not for mass market.

Maybe they should repackage mini playfields from existing games and sell them as standalones.... That be fun to have on your desk, eh?

#100 10 years ago

You need a better sound system ; )

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pin-no-longer-for-sale-at-amazon/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.