Engadget.jpg
GaryS.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg
GeorgeG.jpg
screen-capture-1.png
copycat.jpg
copycat.jpg
Mobbed.jpg
There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

My kids can memorize 80 hit combos in killer instinct for damn near all the people ....pinball is to hard. My 8 yrl old knows every juggle in mk2 just like me. I can put money my 8 yrl old could woop ass loads of people at mk2 even me sometimes. But Avengers is to hard or acdc is to hard.
BUT BUT BUT
If i was not into pinball myself.....than it would be to hard for my kids. gtfo

I will destroy your kids in MK1 MK2 or MK3. KI1 as well.

#252 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

These people will be calling for service if the flipper rubber falls off...
you will see alot of customers just bail on them an NOT put the money in it...

Great then I should be able to pick one up for >$100 on Craigslist in a couple of years.

#253 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

Great then I should be able to pick one up for >$100 on Craigslist in a couple of years.

You might be able to do just that.

At its price point, I don't see how this will be anything but a failure. I think they would have had a shot if it was in the range of $1,700.

#254 11 years ago

I have Raven, and it brings joy...

I just see alot of issues in the future with the PIN..

And it is way too expensive.

For 2600 familys could buy way more for the money..

And at least have something tha would hold some kind of value..

#255 11 years ago

And get a real pinball experience...

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

And it is way too expensive.

If it is fun to play, who cares what it costs?

#257 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

For 2600 familys could buy way more for the money..

And at least have something tha would hold some kind of value..

You've got to quit worrying about other people's money.

I've got a $3500 billiards table.

Did I pay too much? Nope it is exactly the table I wanted.

Will it hold some kind a value? I don't care. I wanted it, I bought it.

#258 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've got a $3500 billiards table.
Did I pay too much? Nope it is exactly the table I wanted.
Will it hold some kind a value? I don't care. I wanted it, I bought it.

I'd like to play that table..

8'..9'...

I like 9'ers...

A buddy of mine is getting a Diamond, they are super nice...

We play on diamonds on our 9 ball leauge..

they are stupid fast...and the pockets are tight as hell....

#259 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If it is fun to play, who cares what it costs?

I think Stern will care if actual sales are not close to their forecast.

We'll see.

#260 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Bah Ha Ha!!!

Sound like my ex mother in law.......

#261 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My home service rate is $60 a hour, same as a plumber or furnace tech in our area.

A plumber just stabbed me for $75 a hour.

#262 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I'd like to play that table..
8'..9'...
I like 9'ers...
A buddy of mine is getting a Diamond, they are super nice...
We play on diamonds on our 9 ball leauge..
they are stupid fast...and the pockets are tight as hell....

BTW, what kind of table is is ?

#263 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

$2500 is more than the core component of most people's entertainment center (the tv)

It depends on the tv your getting and from who but most of the better brands are going into the 3's now

#264 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

BTW, what kind of table is is ?

9' Bellocichi (sp?) turn of the century.

#265 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

A plumber just stabbed me for $75 a hour.

Thanks, I'll have to raise my rates.

#266 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

Actually, you can buy one new for >$100 right now.

#267 11 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Actually, you can buy one new for >$100 right now.

LOL you got me! That should have been <$100.00...

#268 11 years ago

I like how some say an Xbox 360 is $300 or so. In reality, the average user has 50 games at $60 a pop plus sprinkle in a few Benjamins for extra controllers and headphones. Thus, the same or more than " The Pin".

#269 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I like how some say an Xbox 360 is $300 or so. In reality, the average user has 50 games at $60 a pop plus sprinkle in a few Benjamins for extra controllers and headphones. Thus, the same or more than " The Pin".

Yep, then add in your monthly Xbox Gold subscription fees....

#270 11 years ago

But when you go to sell those $50 games, they will cheerfully offer you $10 each for them.

#271 11 years ago

Or when a online game is 1 year old they drop online support for it.

#272 11 years ago

That's funny, he states "we are the only manufacture of pinball machines in the world"

#273 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

That's funny, he states "we are the only manufacture of pinball machines in the world"

Prove him wrong.

Anytime I see a picture of any other "manufacturer" there is a factory without any workers working.

Anytime I see a picture of Stern factory, there is 150+ people hustling.

#274 11 years ago

I agree, but there are still two manufactures, at the moment.
I think I read a post recently regarding the 2012 Expo Stern Pinball factory tour, he asked that no pictures to be taken because they are not the only manufacture. Or something to that affect.

#275 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

I agree, but there are still two manufactures, at the moment.

Three actually.

If we are counting anyone that has built a new machine design, but has not delivered a single unit to an end user, you have to count me in too.

#276 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Three actually.
If we are counting anyone that has built a new machine design, but has not delivered a single unit to an end user, you have to count me in too.

Yes, yes, we know. Not until a game ships can we count JJP as a manufacturer. Doesn't the same simplistic definition you use to scope-out JJP also scope-in Marsaplay? Maybe even Retro? They've shipped, no? Pretty silly argument to backup a pretty silly statement from Stern.

#277 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Yes, yes, we know. Not until a game ships can we count JJP as a manufacturer. Doesn't the same simplistic definition you use to scope-out JJP also scope-in Marsaplay? Maybe even Retro? They've shipped, no? Pretty silly argument to backup a pretty silly statement from Stern.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

When JJP, Skipiball or Jpop starts manufacturing games and putting them in customer's hands, we will have something.

Until then, if I go to any distributor today, the only machines I can load in my truck and deploy on route are Stern.

#278 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm just playing Devil's advocate.
When JJP, Skipiball or Jpop starts manufacturing games and putting them in customer's hands, we will have something.
Until then, if I go to any distributor today, the only machines I can load in my truck and deploy on route are Stern.

I suppose that is true. However, I've purchased a number of NIB machines - none of which I've actually picked up from a distributor. All drop-shipped direct from manufacturer, which I suppose you could do with Retro or Marsaplay?

#279 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

All drop-shipped direct from manufacturer, which I suppose you could do with Marsaplay?

Honestly don't know if they ship to USA or have UL listed machines that run on 110v.

#280 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Not all of us on pinside are super rich, and we are addicts of the silver ball.... sometimes we have to stretch to buy $2k pins...
the average Joe that would even entertain this due to not knowing any better, will more than likely NOT have the money available to dump on this thing..

You're not getting it. Many people ARE super rich and they haven't seen pinball in ages. I know you want to use logic here but these people never see pinball on a daily basis. It's like that tribe in South America that for the most part has never had any interaction with the modern age. Do you think they watch Oprah, The Jersey Shore, or the Super Bowl?

ALL...and I mean ALL...including most of the movers, say one of two things:

1. WOW...I haven't seen a pinball in ages.
2. What do you do with these things? Do you own a bar or what not?

By the way Gerry, it's extremely annoying that someone who owns 17 pins is preaching about a bad economy or "stretching to buy $2K pins."

REALLY??

#281 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Honestly don't know if they ship to USA or have UL listed machines that run on 110v.

Yeah... maybe not. They posted about a month ago I think. Mentioned difficulty getting into NA - looking for a distributor if I recall.

#282 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

We are used to fixing our 25+ year old games.
These are brand new, with limited wiring, new switches, LEDs soldered directly to circuit boards, etc etc...
When was the last time a LED burned out on your TV or DVD player? Probably never, because they are soldered in place.

Look, if these things are bulletproof lets put that technology into the full sized pins. I mean...do the same thing with the LEs and pros. Just think, no more QC issues!

#283 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Look, if these things are bulletproof lets put that technology into the full sized pins. I mean...do the same thing with the LEs and pros. Just think, no more QC issues!

Gary Stern talked about that at CES in one of his interviews. He said that these new technologies would be used in future pro and LE games. IMO, "the pin" is good for pinball. People are afraid of change, but I embrace it. I don't know if these games will make it, but I think there is more good than bad that will come from this. Just one guys opinion here.

#284 11 years ago

I was at CES, got some pics with Gary, may change my avatar on Monday. I had plenty of fun on the home edition pins. Is it Tron LE? No, it's not meant to be. I think they are priced about $500 too high, as many do, but they are heck of fun.

#285 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That doesn't matter until Gary states that 'Stern is the only pinball manufacturer that sells in the USA'.
Worldwide there's indeed Marsaplay who delivered. Retro delivered as well.
And in the future I'm sure with JJP, Heighway Pinball (hope it'll come true!) and smaller runs by Skitbpinball/predator, JPOP and Ben Heck, Gary can't say 'the only' anymore.

Officially, Stern already (after a long time) changed it to 'the leading maker .... in the world', but Gary (un?)intentionally still uses 'the only...'.

#286 11 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Officially, Stern already (after a long time) changed it to 'the leading maker .... in the world', but Gary (un?)intentionally still uses 'the only...'.

Tough to teach an old dog new tricks .

When doing interviews, you basically regurgitate the same info all the time, so it gets mapped out in your brain. I wouldn't make much of Gary repeating the same old lingo. Probably coming out accidentally. In a lot of ways it is much BETTER to say they are the leading company, not the only one.

It's like that other tired old line about how he doesn't want to say they are "the last", for the same reasons, it makes it sound like a dying business.

#287 11 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

150 tickets for a high score is obviously not very appealing

I agree since that's the only award. Kids can walk up to any redemption machine and get 1 ticket for completely failing. I've never seen a kid set the high score at our local CC on the nascar pin and get the 150 ticket. Although Stern is trying to fix that by coming out with a variable ticket dispenser.

#288 11 years ago

If this is a pinball aimed for the YOUNGER generation then why the hell are they not throwing a LCD screen on these machines to attract the younger generation! Most kids are just into ipads, iphones, etc...

I love the fact that Stern is trying to get kids into pinball.
I think they are on the right track by offering a less expensive option for familes. But I strongly feel that they need to innovate quite a bit more to get the younger generation into this hobby.

I personally think Farsight studio is doing the best job in trying to get kids into pinball by releasing emulated versions of classic tables on xbox, ps3 and ipad systems. If they can get these kids hooked on playing these emulated versions of the tables, I strongly feel it will help the pinball world greatly.

#289 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I personally think Farsight studio is doing the best job in trying to get kids into pinball by releasing emulated versions of classic tables on xbox, ps3 and ipad systems. If they can get these kids hooked on playing these emulated versions of the tables, I strongly feel it will help the pinball world gr

Farsight has probably brought more people into "real" pinball than anything has in a very long time. Myself included.

#290 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

ration! Most kids are just into ipads, iphones, etc...

I love the fact that Stern is trying to get kids into pinball.
I think they are on the right track by offering a less expensive option for familes. But I strongly feel that they need to innovate quite a bit more to get the younger generation into this hobby.

I personally think Farsight studio is doing the best job in trying to get kids into pinball by releasing emulated versions of classic tables on xbox, ps3 and ipad systems. If they can get these kids hooked on playing these emulated versions of the tables, I strongly feel it will help the pinball world greatly.

a LCD + the art work costs more then a LED 16 seg display.

And Farsight in a way pigged back on the Vp + pinmame ideas. I think back when VP and Pinmame was new that helped pinball over all as well.

#291 11 years ago

I actually don't think the LED would bring in kids. Pinball is still at its heart a mechanical game and if a kid isn't into that, they are unlikely to enjoy pinball no matter how many bells and whistles you put on it.

I personally think the innovation should be on the software side. Making the code open source and easily customizable. I look at the hours people put into things like Minecraft building their own worlds and wonder if you could nab some of those people. Let them customize how the lights display, how the rules work, and so on. Trade versions of their game with others online. Maybe an added revenue stream for companies like Stern could be selling different accessories like alternate ramps and playfield parts that can be swapped in and out by owners.

Nothing wrong with updating hardware and pushing the limits, but I think the innovation we're looking for needs to come on the software side. Imagine a new Avengers game coming out and having 20 different ways of playing the game.

#292 11 years ago
Quoted from creyes82:

Looks like a reskinned Transformers pin. Similar ramps, loops, bumper locations, tessteract/allspark, inserts in the same locations on the upper playfield, etc.

The avengers pin
Transformers then this when will they make a actual machine than a kiddie machine for 2 year olds

#293 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I personally think the innovation should be on the software side. Making the code open source and easily customizable. I look at the hours people put into things like Minecraft building their own worlds and wonder if you could nab some of those people. Let them customize how the lights display, how the rules work, and so on. Trade versions of their game with others online. Maybe an added revenue stream for companies like Stern could be selling different accessories like alternate ramps and playfield parts that can be swapped in and out by owners.

While I think customizable rules would be an AWESOME idea I don’t think this would be something for a non-pinhead. And let’s be honest, The Pin is not marketed to you or me. Whenever I have friends over, who aren’t into pinball, I have to explain the rule set and they still don’t get 75% of what I’ve explained. Adding a feature like that wouldn’t transition for kids who aren’t hardcore pinball freaks.

#294 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Is there any decent video of The Pin in action available to watch yet?

I assume you've seen the official promotional video. If not, there are a few seconds of footage:

#295 11 years ago

BTW, as a newcomer to pinballs, I did seriously consider one of these. Yes, it's more expensive than a good used one, but then again, you can get a used Mercedes for the price of a new Chevy - I don't see Chevy sales being lost for that reason.

#296 11 years ago

I really love this idea and I applaud Stern for trying, but, there are a couple of things that need to be looked at here.

1) It should be a 4 player game if you want to sell it to families. All the rec room games such as pool, darts, Foosball and pinball have always allowed for 4 players.

2) The machine should look like it has moved forward, not backwards in technology. People want to see progress, and the scoring, for example, looks like it's from a 1970's machine.

3) It should have easy maintenance. It should never be intimidating. There should be a button you push and the playfield glass lifts like the trunk on a Honda minivan. That way, people could easily grab a trapped ball or replace a part. It could even include an extra set of rubbers and a set of easy to replace playfield plastics.

I am not sure if Stern reads this thread, but I think a lot of great ideas have been presented here.

Any other ideas...in case they are reading it?

#297 11 years ago

Is $2,500 the new retail price for these? Down from the original $3,999

#298 11 years ago

My brother and a friend went to CES. They both said, "they look neat, but were super cheaply built." Not really good impressions from a couple of casuals. If a casual thinks that they look and feel cheap, that's bad.

#299 11 years ago
Quoted from NYG:

Is $2,500 the new retail price for these? Down from the original $3,999

Yes, $2500 to $2600.

Jim

EDIT: I just looked on Amazon and they are $3200, but I remember Gary mentioning $2600.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pin-is-mobbed-at-ces/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.