(Topic ID: 115528)

The Pin - Avengers

By nobitingmyarm

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FullSizeRender.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.57.59.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.08.53.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.09.28.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.08.37.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.08.32.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.08.43.jpg
    2015-01-18 15.08.29.jpg
    2015-01-17 23.14.20.jpg
    2015-01-02 13.20.20.jpg
    2015-01-14 19.00.23.jpg
    2015-01-14 19.00.29.jpg
    2015-01-14 19.11.30.jpg
    2015-01-14 19.10.16.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    2015-01-14 19.10.34.jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

About a month ago I started hearing ads on the radio that one of our furniture stores had pinballs for sale. I figured that it couldn't be a standard pinball machine and that it was likely The Pin. Turns out I was right. I walked into the store asked about pinballs and they told me I could get a Transformers or Avengers pinball machine. Either would've been awesome but I told them I'd have to take the Avengers and about five minutes later I was walking out the door with my paperwork.

I picked up the pin about a week later. We brought it home and I unboxed it. Unboxing photos below.

Opening my first pinOpening my first pin
    What's inside the boxWhat's inside the box
    It's a Fort!It's a Fort!
    There's too much freaking plastic wrap!There's too much freaking plastic wrap!
    I'm not sure but I think I look like Jabba the HuttI'm not sure but I think I look like Jabba the Hutt
    Unboxing the backboxUnboxing the backbox
    Why do I stick my tongue out?Why do I stick my tongue out?
    Some help assembling the legsSome help assembling the legs
    More Leg WorkMore Leg Work
    Corbin is dancing for the pinball godsCorbin is dancing for the pinball gods
    I think I lost a wing nutI think I lost a wing nut
    Playing the first game on The Pin!Playing the first game on The Pin!

2014-12-23 18.45.49.jpg2014-12-23 18.45.49.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Congrats! Nothing like a NIB pin.

#3 9 years ago

Way to go! If you don't mind sharing, what was the price?

Thanks for all the photos and have a great time!

#4 9 years ago

That's what it's all about. Family and fun. Great pics and congrats on the game.

One must ask... wonder how a pinball refinery cube would look on it

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Way to go! If you don't mind sharing, what was the price?

It ran $3,000 including taxes.

#6 9 years ago

Awesome! Hope you and the family enjoy it!

#7 9 years ago

Are they still making The Pin? Any new games?

#8 9 years ago

I've never seen this before. Looks cool.

#9 9 years ago

The unboxing process for The Pin was relatively easy and straight forward. The assembly was pretty easy until I got to the backbox. I had to have Corbin help me get the three connections made between the backbox and the cabinet before I could finally place the backbox on the the cabinet.

That was the easy part. The hard part was putting the wing nuts on to secure the backbox.

I could not get them on. In fact I lost both of the wing nuts. Unfortunately, the playfield doesn't lift up so I had to unscrew the panel on the bottom of the cabinet to get them out and in the process most likely voided my warranty.

This was impossible!This was impossible!

Outside of that the install process went pretty well.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Awesome! Hope you and the family enjoy it!

I had my sister, brother-in-law, and niece over after Christmas and the whole family enjoyed it. Corbin (my son) and Kerry (my fiancee) enjoyed it as well. I was really surprised to see how popular it was.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from PavBall:

I've never seen this before. Looks cool.

This is a true limited edition if there ever was one. I have seen one TF The Pin before, but never an Avengers.

#11 9 years ago

If you're able, I think everyone would love to see a video. I'm curious to see how it plays.

#12 9 years ago

Interesting. Enjoy! Would love to see some more up close play field pics when you have the time.

Edit---why is your christmas tree still up?

#13 9 years ago

Congrats on your new "pin"

Looks interesting and unique I am with flank more PF pics or vids would be very cool when you have time.

Enjoy your new toy

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yours isn't?

#15 9 years ago

video of gameplay?

#16 9 years ago

I've never see Avengers, have played the Transformers version. It's a lot better than people give it credit for. The playfield is big and uses the real parts. Much smaller footprint too in the home.

If you get a chance to get some playfield pictures or videos, we'd love to see it. Seems the Avengers version is rare.

#17 9 years ago

I had the Transformers version when it first came out. The drop targets wouldn't reset shortly after and I was a complete newbie. Returned it.

It got me into pinball though. I now have 6 full size machines. It's a sickness, so watch out.

#18 9 years ago

This thread already has more information on The Pin than the rest of Pinside. Hope to see a video! Also glad you guys are enjoying your pin, it actually seems rather cool.

#19 9 years ago

I would like to see a video as well !!
    Recently saw the transformers the pin in person very interesting

#20 9 years ago

And, he's the first to have the new SPIKE system, basically.

#21 9 years ago

If The Pin hooked you in that is great. Enjoy playing it with your family and good luck in the hunt for your next pinball. You know it will happen.

#22 9 years ago

How the heck do you do maintenance on it if the PF don't lift up.....how do you change a bulb...???....btw...led's or incandescent.....???.....Thank you..........Joey

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

How the heck do you do maintenance on it if the PF don't lift up.....how do you change a bulb...???....btw...led's or incandescent.....???.....Thank you..........Joey

Looks like the glass comes off and he mentioned the bottom is held on by a couple of screws. Not as easy to work on as a full size game but it sounds like it's still accessible if necessary.

#24 9 years ago

Very cool; these have seemed very elusive over the years. They have kept making "the pin" but I have never even seen unboxing pics like this. A video would be very cool.

Thank you for sharing, and I hope you enjoy!

#25 9 years ago

All LED:

http://www.sternpinball.com/community/transformers-pin

Both The Transformers and Avengers use the same setup.

Brad

#26 9 years ago

Zizzle on Steroids!!!!!!

It looks to have taken the Zizzle design idea completely and just added upgraded components.

So is Zizzle the forefather of the Modern Pinball Machine?

Stern builds the Pin on the Zizzle model then uses what it learns from that on its Spike system.

#27 9 years ago

Funny how the Pin is a complete unknown on Pinside. Uncharted waters!

Would also like to see some video.

#28 9 years ago

I would have bought Avengers .. but its missing Dianna Rigg and Patrick Macnee..

#29 9 years ago

It will be interesting to see if these games retain their re-sale value

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

Funny how the Pin is a complete unknown on Pinside. Uncharted waters!
    Would also like to see some video.

Seriously? There were tons of threads on The Pin when it was announced.

Great to see an unboxing thread though. Hope it gives you years of use!

Chris

#31 9 years ago

Tons of threads but I never saw a gameplay video. A decent one.
    Would love to see it..

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Seriously? There were tons of threads on The Pin when it was announced.
    Great to see an unboxing thread though. Hope it gives you years of use!
    Chris

Haven't ever seen a real gameplay video or a description of rules, etc.

#33 9 years ago

$3K just seems way too much for something like this. I bet this has a better profit margin than the Pro.

#34 9 years ago

This is the best vid I found. I did not take video when I owned Transformers for a week, unfortunately.

#35 9 years ago

What struck me is all I could hear were a few sound effects and this one repeating little tune. No call-outs or music.

Gomez said in his interview that Avengers had the same music and call-outs as the full-size. Can anyone confirm this?

#36 9 years ago

I believe the documentation states that nothing inside is serviceable.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

We got this the week before Christmas. The Christmas tree is still up.

Quoted from 85vett:

Looks like the glass comes off and he mentioned the bottom is held on by a couple of screws. Not as easy to work on as a full size game but it sounds like it's still accessible if necessary.

The glass actually lifts up. I'll throw a picture of that up tonight along with some playfield pics.

#38 9 years ago

I had a Christmas tree in the downstairs family room up until April one year

#39 9 years ago

Cool! Congrats....and enjoy!!!

#40 9 years ago

According to the documentation there is nothing serviceable inside.

IMG_1539.jpgIMG_1539.jpg

I still need to get video up.

#41 9 years ago

The "pin" was marketed towards people who don't really know how to work on pins thus where I think that note comes from. I can assure you that everything under there can be serviced it's just they are trying to lean people towards having a tech come to work on it vs having people whom don't know what they are doing go rummaging around trying to fix something. It uses standard pinball parts which are all serviceable. They would just be harder to get at on the pin.

In a home use environment I doubt anything will need service for a very long time. The only parts that may cause issue is the Tesseract cube and some coil stops. I've seen a few of them break at the bracket (Tesseract cube) and, more than we should, coil stops coming apart. Not overly common issues for either but it does happen.

#42 9 years ago

Hey take the backbox apart and VOILA! Spike System.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I can assure you that everything under there can be serviced it's just they are trying to lean people towards having a tech come to work on it vs having people whom don't know what they are doing go rummaging around trying to fix something. It uses standard pinball parts which are all serviceable. They would just be harder to get at on the pin.

I think the "no user servicable parts" is a marketing ploy. They have that as a response to anyone who asks if you need to be able to fix your own pinball. So if a sales person gets asked about fixing it, they have a quick response.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

The "pin" was marketed towards people who don't really know how to work on pins thus where I think that note comes from. I can assure you that everything under there can be serviced it's just they are trying to lean people towards having a tech come to work on it vs having people whom don't know what they are doing go rummaging around trying to fix something. It uses standard pinball parts which are all serviceable. They would just be harder to get at on the pin.
    In a home use environment I doubt anything will need service for a very long time. The only parts that may cause issue is the Tesseract cube and some coil stops. I've seen a few of them break at the bracket (Tesseract cube) and, more than we should, coil stops coming apart. Not overly common issues for either but it does happen.

Drop targets. If they won't reset, you have to open it up.

#45 9 years ago

I like this thread. The pin might not be for everyone, but i like how much info you are passing along.

#46 9 years ago

Putting your NIB pinball machine together at Christmas time is an event your son will never forget.

Good job OP!

#47 9 years ago

Agree! Family pinball time is the best. Wish i had a oin when i was a kid!

#48 9 years ago

The perfect size for the corner of my office at work. You don't see these in AustAustralia.

Congrats on the purchase and thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
    Adam.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I think the "no user servicable parts" is a marketing ploy. They have that as a response to anyone who asks if you need to be able to fix your own pinball. So if a sales person gets asked about fixing it, they have a quick response.

I would have to agree with you. The documentation that they provide includes a list of parts on the playfield and underneath with two diagrams that you'd typically find in a pinball operation manual.

In the pictures below you will see a screw in the playfield, just above the pop bumpers and underneath the switch? Is that typical to see? It's noted on the diagram but I'm not sure why it's there. Every time the ball goes through that switch (correct term?) or hits the pop bumpers it hits the screw every time.

Quoted from sturner:

If you get a chance to get some playfield pictures or videos, we'd love to see it. Seems the Avengers version is rare.

Here are some additional pictures. If there's additional things you'd like to see LMK.

2015-01-17 23.14.20.jpg2015-01-17 23.14.20.jpg2015-01-02 13.20.20.jpg2015-01-02 13.20.20.jpg2015-01-14 19.00.23.jpg2015-01-14 19.00.23.jpg2015-01-14 19.00.29.jpg2015-01-14 19.00.29.jpg2015-01-14 19.10.16.jpg2015-01-14 19.10.16.jpg2015-01-14 19.11.30.jpg2015-01-14 19.11.30.jpg

#50 9 years ago

Looks better than the real avengers game wich is awful.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pin-avengers/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.