Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bay78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161029_195713 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195645 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195617 (resized).jpg
    images-17 (resized).jpg
    13667734_10153575929860755_805417180272741182_o_(resized).jpg
    handicap-van_(resized).jpg
    2010_Ford_E150_wheelchair_accessible_conversion_van_(resized).jpg
    12670561_10156512653855472_2506820747139048459_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_13001.jpg
    image.jpg
    shortbus.jpg
    00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg
    Valentines_Vehicles_2007.jpg
    NPTransit.jpeg
    image.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nimblepin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Whoa. That thing looks cool.

I thought so too when they first announced the new body design.
    Special ordered the short wheelbase XLT EcoBoost wagon (w/liftgate) back in the Spring of 2014 and have been super happy with it's performance/daily driveability thus far.
    Now that it's over a year old; with a fair amount of various-sized machines moving in and out of it due to the low liftgate and cavernous interior, I can confidently say it's an awesome pin-hauler.
    NPTransit.jpegNPTransit.jpeg

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how many standard DMDs legs off can you fit?

Since I went with the short wheelbase I usually can only take one on it's belly but, if I REALLY needed to carry more than one I could 69 them (Hiyo!) on their respective sides and make the unexpected two machine trip work if I absolutely had to. DMD's wouldn't really fit properly due to the taller cabs and I'd probably need to properly support/space the cab off the floor for each head of a standard machine but, it could be done if I knew I was picking up two.
    With the flat floor and low liftgate, my usual method of loading DMD/SS machines is to use a piece of remnant carpet slightly larger than the machine to "glide" the pin in with very minimal effort. My Harbor freight table lift is used in the very beginning to position and to get all four legs off the ground. After I remove either the front or rear legs, I push 1/4 of the machine (still raised) into the vehicle, stopping the lift just before the bumper. Once the machine is positioned, I slide the start of the carpet between the pin and the floor and lower the machine into the floor to keep the carpet from moving. Once that's done, I can push the machine in enough to take off the remaining legs no problemo.

Not that Whysnow or the majority of Pinsiders on here care but, you can ALSO put about FOUR woodrails vertically into it as well if need be...

#47 8 years ago

I'll go measure...
    Ooooohhh, pretty close for newer Sterns but unfortunately the narrowest part of the cargo area hinders it at 47-1/4" wide. The interior portion of the sliding doors on both sides ARE a tad bit wider (57-ish") than the 47-1/4" but, I don't know if the machines could angle that tiny bit more to fit at the narrowest point.
    Heads off though, no problemo!
    Plenty of room to spare.

I guess I just have to try it since most standard DMD cabs are around 22" wide with roughly 3" of overhang from the edge of BB.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

do you think the standard wheel base would fit 2?

Probably not the way you envisioned it Whysnow but as of 2:30AM PST I give you "Exhibit A", of the short bus Transit hauling prowess/goodness.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Note all that extra space on top for even MORE various pinball booty plunderings; all while getting around 34mpg on the highway too!

#57 8 years ago

Snow?!?!? Pfffft...
    Man, this thing needs to see some real rain first before it can even think about snow!
    It IS just a FWD vehicle Whysnow but, I also specifically chose it because it had the biggest/widest wheels/tires out of all it's direct competitors. (250/50 R17's 95H Conti pro contacts are on it now)
    I can attest on pavement anyway that this sucker handles like a chunky sportscar in the twisties and still feels pretty good loaded down but, that doesn't matter much if it's riding on Wisconsin's finest slush.
    I really wish they made an AWD model and went with the Escape's 2.0 EcoBoost to improve the hauling prowess but, it is what it is.
    The bottom of the vehicle does have a protective shield running under almost the entire car which is kinda interesting and the assisted foglights when you turn is a nice touch too when you actually have some weather to deal with.
    Trying to defrost the huge front window might be a problem though.
    Best thing to do is to try driving one and I guess, PM me if you have any more questions?
    Your local dealer can probably give you a better rundown on the snow stuff methinks. lol

#61 8 years ago

My seats come out easily for a flat cargo area so, I think that's a "Yes" to the question.
    (Two yellow-coated push down tabs under each seat and then lift away.)
    They do the standard fold and also can be flipped up if you need a bit more room.
    Pins need the seats gone though on the short wheelbase.
    The long wheelbase's seats can only go flat and can't be removed without a little help from "Mr. Socket."
    Kinda dumb that Ford didn't make the seven passenger wagon's seats easy to remove as well...
    Loading pins in that baby would suck hard because they make you go up another level with the machine two feet in to get to the real "flat" portion of the cargo area. Plus, you're still smashing down on the seats.
    As for my hitch,
    It's mainly used for bikes if I'm taking a road trip with three or more friends.
    Hauling two pins (as seen in pic above) is currently no problem but, yeah- if I was going to take more than the interior can carry then the hitch is ready for action.
    If I can remember correctly my wagon can tow around 5100lbs?
    More than enough for my needs, fortunately.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nimblepin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-perfect-pin-hauling-vehicle?tu=nimblepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.