Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bay78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161029_195713 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195645 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195617 (resized).jpg
    images-17 (resized).jpg
    13667734_10153575929860755_805417180272741182_o_(resized).jpg
    handicap-van_(resized).jpg
    2010_Ford_E150_wheelchair_accessible_conversion_van_(resized).jpg
    12670561_10156512653855472_2506820747139048459_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_13001.jpg
    image.jpg
    shortbus.jpg
    00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg
    Valentines_Vehicles_2007.jpg
    NPTransit.jpeg
    image.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I'm interested in what you guys think a good vehicle for hauling pins would be. When I first started looking, I was looking for a compact pickup. My dad used to have a Chevy Luv and I really "luved" that vehicle. I hauled fire wood in it, took trips to Indy to visit my brother from southern Indiana, and saved a lot on gas with it's manual 4 cylinder. It was also a cinch to work on myself being an older vehicle.

chevrolet-luv-06.jpgchevrolet-luv-06.jpg

I love the early compact pickups for their gas mileage and ease of use in the city. I was also looking at VW Caddys which are like Rabbits but a with a bed. They apparently get really good gas mileage but it's a unibody which is a little worrying.

100_1456.jpg100_1456.jpg

Recently I've been wondering if I should expand looking at bigger pickups or SUVs or minivans or even wagons. I'm single, live in a rural area which can be a problem when it snows and don't take many trips. I don't have to drive to work so day to day mileage doesn't matter much. I kind of have a preference for smaller vehicles with less of a footprint and older vehicles from the 70s and 80s. That said, I'm open to any suggestions with your personal experience on how easy it is to haul one or two pins and other pros or cons.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

4WD toyota matrix. older models need to slide the head towards the lockdown bar slightly to fit, but i've heard newer models don't have this problem

That looks like a pretty inexpensive car. I wasn't expecting that. I may have to watch for one of those. I assume that's a one pin car. It's kind of similar to something else I was looking at.

01212_jOWzq9stHAI_600x450.jpg01212_jOWzq9stHAI_600x450.jpg

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why is a unibody worrying? These are light weight trucks so you don't need a frame and its one of the reasons thier MPG are better.
    All of the minivan pin haulers out there are unibody too, thats what makes them "mini"

I guess sometimes Dad tells you things and they just stick. I imagine if you have a something heavy in the bed it could have extra stress on the sides. A minivan would have more support with the roof but trucks that are unibody like a El Camino would have less support for sides. I know with that LUV I hauled a lot weight in the bed, probably more than I should have.

#30 8 years ago

Does anybody worry about heighth? Some of them pickups are tall.

#36 8 years ago

Here's a pretty fairly priced Ford Transit but it runs on propane. Not much storage space left and where would you fill it up?

chicago.craigslist.org link

00f0f_4wrflLqT3Zg_600x450.jpg00f0f_4wrflLqT3Zg_600x450.jpg

#50 8 years ago

I've been searching CL and been finding all sorts of oddities. Here's a 2012 Nissan Sprinter Van. The thing looks like a moose.

00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg

I've found a couple of Broncos and thought maybe that would be a nice truck to have. It could haul a trailer or I could take out the back seat and store pins in the back. Plus the top comes off which I always thought was cool.

00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Snow?!?!? Pfffft...
    Man, this thing needs to see some real rain first before it can even think about snow!
    It IS just a FWD vehicle Whysnow but, I also specifically chose it because it had the biggest/widest wheels/tires out of all it's direct competitors. (250/50 R17's 95H Conti pro contacts are on it now)
    I can attest on pavement anyway that this sucker handles like a chunky sportscar in the twisties and still feels pretty good loaded down but, that doesn't matter much if it's riding on Wisconsin's finest slush.
    I really wish they made an AWD model and went with the Escape's 2.0 EcoBoost to improve the hauling prowess but, it is what it is.
    The bottom of the vehicle does have a protective shield running under almost the entire car which is kinda interesting and the assisted foglights when you turn is a nice touch too when you actually have some weather to deal with.
    Trying to defrost the huge front window might be a problem though.
    Best thing to do is to try driving one and I guess, PM me if you have any more questions?
    Your local dealer can probably give you a better rundown on the snow stuff methinks. lol

It looks like you have the passenger transit. Does the back seat fold flat or did you have to take it out? I noticed it has a trailer hitch. Does it haul a trailer well?

1 month later
    #66 8 years ago
    Quoted from JIM_Z:

I think it will be a slow trip!
    IMG_13001.jpg
    Got a new today.

The winch should come in handy.

Does it have a top speed? What's with all the dust?

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

No one has mentioned a Suburban yet?
    I guess that's a good thing, since I am looking for another one.
    Longest continuous make of ANY auto(for a good reason).

Dad has a '72 chevy truck ambulance with the extended height fiberglass top. I don't really want to drive that everyday right now but maybe someday I'll help restore it for a good pin-hauler.

7 months later
    #82 7 years ago

I tried to put an EM in a Ford Festiva. If the backseat wasn't in there, it would have fit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-perfect-pin-hauling-vehicle?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.