3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bay78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20161029_195713 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195645 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195617 (resized).jpg
    images-17 (resized).jpg
    13667734_10153575929860755_805417180272741182_o_(resized).jpg
    handicap-van_(resized).jpg
    2010_Ford_E150_wheelchair_accessible_conversion_van_(resized).jpg
    12670561_10156512653855472_2506820747139048459_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_13001.jpg
    image.jpg
    shortbus.jpg
    00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg
    Valentines_Vehicles_2007.jpg
    NPTransit.jpeg
    image.jpeg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've found a couple of Broncos and thought maybe that would be a nice truck to have.

Get a white one and you could pretend to be OJ Simpson.

rd

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Whoa! If this is what a 2016 Honda Element looks like, I do agree that it's ugly! The old ones look 1000 times better. What are they thinking?
    image.jpeg

That isn't an Element, rather a completely different model that isn't / won't be sold in the U.S. market. It's called the N-Box +. They're all over Japan and also sold in European markets. They also sell a related model call the N-Box Slash. Again, not for North American markets and not a replacement for the discontinued Element. (they are MUCH smaller than an Element)

#53 3 years ago

Some of our fellow Pinsiders may remember these from school. It turns out they're great for hauling pins!

shortbus.jpg

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

Some of our fellow Pinsiders may remember these from school. It turns out they're great for hauling pins!

shortbus.jpg

I wanted to buy either a School bus, an Ambulance or a Fire truck for my "Route 66 hearse trip" ... Inspired by Cannonball Run, no doubt ... However you can't register Left Hand Drive trucks in New Zealand so that's why I bought a hearse.

rd

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

do you think the standard wheel base would fit 2?

Probably not the way you envisioned it Whysnow but as of 2:30AM PST I give you "Exhibit A", of the short bus Transit hauling prowess/goodness.
    image.jpg
    Note all that extra space on top for even MORE various pinball booty plunderings; all while getting around 34mpg on the highway too!

#56 3 years ago

wish it was just a little taller so you could lay a game upright on its back

I have a question I am sure you unfortunately can't answer... How do they do in the snow?

#57 3 years ago

Snow?!?!? Pfffft...
    Man, this thing needs to see some real rain first before it can even think about snow!
    It IS just a FWD vehicle Whysnow but, I also specifically chose it because it had the biggest/widest wheels/tires out of all it's direct competitors. (250/50 R17's 95H Conti pro contacts are on it now)
    I can attest on pavement anyway that this sucker handles like a chunky sportscar in the twisties and still feels pretty good loaded down but, that doesn't matter much if it's riding on Wisconsin's finest slush.
    I really wish they made an AWD model and went with the Escape's 2.0 EcoBoost to improve the hauling prowess but, it is what it is.
    The bottom of the vehicle does have a protective shield running under almost the entire car which is kinda interesting and the assisted foglights when you turn is a nice touch too when you actually have some weather to deal with.
    Trying to defrost the huge front window might be a problem though.
    Best thing to do is to try driving one and I guess, PM me if you have any more questions?
    Your local dealer can probably give you a better rundown on the snow stuff methinks. lol

#58 3 years ago

Chrysler or Dodge minivans with the Stow-n-Go seating is perfect for me. I've had 3 of them over the last 20 years. The earlier ones were a hassle to take out the back seats, but the Stow-n-Go is perfect. I carry two in them easily (in a T).

#59 3 years ago

Buddy of mine runs a small used car dealership in Minnesota. He's got a '05 Chevy G-1500 cargo van, with the 4.3 v6 motor, 206k miles, lots of e-track installed, barrier to the front seats, and a lift inside the back doors. This would be a great pin transporter. It was a company truck, well maintained. He's asking $2995.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Snow?!?!? Pfffft...
    Man, this thing needs to see some real rain first before it can even think about snow!
    It IS just a FWD vehicle Whysnow but, I also specifically chose it because it had the biggest/widest wheels/tires out of all it's direct competitors. (250/50 R17's 95H Conti pro contacts are on it now)
    I can attest on pavement anyway that this sucker handles like a chunky sportscar in the twisties and still feels pretty good loaded down but, that doesn't matter much if it's riding on Wisconsin's finest slush.
    I really wish they made an AWD model and went with the Escape's 2.0 EcoBoost to improve the hauling prowess but, it is what it is.
    The bottom of the vehicle does have a protective shield running under almost the entire car which is kinda interesting and the assisted foglights when you turn is a nice touch too when you actually have some weather to deal with.
    Trying to defrost the huge front window might be a problem though.
    Best thing to do is to try driving one and I guess, PM me if you have any more questions?
    Your local dealer can probably give you a better rundown on the snow stuff methinks. lol

It looks like you have the passenger transit. Does the back seat fold flat or did you have to take it out? I noticed it has a trailer hitch. Does it haul a trailer well?

#61 3 years ago

My seats come out easily for a flat cargo area so, I think that's a "Yes" to the question.
    (Two yellow-coated push down tabs under each seat and then lift away.)
    They do the standard fold and also can be flipped up if you need a bit more room.
    Pins need the seats gone though on the short wheelbase.
    The long wheelbase's seats can only go flat and can't be removed without a little help from "Mr. Socket."
    Kinda dumb that Ford didn't make the seven passenger wagon's seats easy to remove as well...
    Loading pins in that baby would suck hard because they make you go up another level with the machine two feet in to get to the real "flat" portion of the cargo area. Plus, you're still smashing down on the seats.
    As for my hitch,
    It's mainly used for bikes if I'm taking a road trip with three or more friends.
    Hauling two pins (as seen in pic above) is currently no problem but, yeah- if I was going to take more than the interior can carry then the hitch is ready for action.
    If I can remember correctly my wagon can tow around 5100lbs?
    More than enough for my needs, fortunately.

2 weeks later
    #62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bob86ZZ4:

Buddy of mine runs a small used car dealership in Minnesota. He's got a '05 Chevy G-1500 cargo van, with the 4.3 v6 motor, 206k miles, lots of e-track installed, barrier to the front seats, and a lift inside the back doors. This would be a great pin transporter. It was a company truck, well maintained. He's asking $2995.

I've put 100k on one of those and that's a pretty fair price if it's running well. I didn't get that high in mileage but never had much trouble with it... heater blower died around 160k and rear differential went full shrapnel about a year prior to that but wasn't expensive to fix. 15mpg, give or take IIRC.

#63 3 years ago

Chevy astro awd.... Cheap as dirt now... Fits two pins in a T configuration with no disassembly, just slide in- slide out. Best vehicle in snow we've driven. At least as good as the awd subarus and audis I've driven. Cheap to fix, but getting harder to find. Also good beach vehicles if you care.

#64 3 years ago

Chevy astro

2 weeks later
    #65 3 years ago

I think it will be a slow trip!

IMG_13001.jpg

Got a new toy today.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from JIM_Z:

I think it will be a slow trip!
    IMG_13001.jpg
    Got a new today.

The winch should come in handy.

Does it have a top speed? What's with all the dust?

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

The winch should come in handy.
    Does it have a top speed? What's with all the dust?

One spec sheet shows 50 mph and another 72. I would guess 50. It has been sitting in a garage for a long rest. I will be waking it up soon.

#68 3 years ago

No one has mentioned a Suburban yet?
    I guess that's a good thing, since I am looking for another one.
    Longest continuous make of ANY auto(for a good reason).

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

No one has mentioned a Suburban yet?
    I guess that's a good thing, since I am looking for another one.
    Longest continuous make of ANY auto(for a good reason).

Dad has a '72 chevy truck ambulance with the extended height fiberglass top. I don't really want to drive that everyday right now but maybe someday I'll help restore it for a good pin-hauler.

#70 3 years ago

Anyone come across a high mpg hauler that can handle say 2 or even more..NIB pins....?? THX> Looking for ride and comfort also..

So a lot to ask.. 25 plus mpg..Decent ride. Is Diesel the way to go...? Looking at 6-12 hour roundtrips. .

#71 3 years ago

1997 Suburban holds three pins easily. I removed the third row seat, folded the second row into the floor and put down a full 4x8 sheet of plywood as a deck. The other great thing is the Suburban has barn doors instead of a tailgate. Tailgates are the bane of loading pinball machines.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

Anyone come across a high mpg hauler that can handle say 2 or even more..NIB pins....?? THX> Looking for ride and comfort also..
    So a lot to ask.. 25 plus mpg..Decent ride. Is Diesel the way to go...? Looking at 6-12 hour roundtrips. .

Your are going to laugh but I don't care. We just bought a 2016 Kia Sedona for just the reasons you talked about. For years I have been running my full size Chevy vans picking up pins and I was just getting tired of 13 or 14 MPG. The Kia has a nice low deck height for easy loading, nice plush interior, heated seats with lumbar suppose, highway MPG around 24 to 26, and should hold 2 pins nicely.

I already ordered a trailer hitch so I can tow a 6x10 or 6x12 enclosed trailer which would enable me to get pin count up to about a dozen if necessary but 7 or 8 with ease.

Sedona has great crash test results, 10 year 100,000 mile warranty (even if I tow trailers with it), nice SUV look for a mini van, plush interior with plenty of features, etc.

I have never owned a mini van before but even with gas close to $2 a gallon my weekly fuel bill runs about $100 and that is just getting old.

#73 3 years ago

All good.. Guess I should of mentioned we only need it for pin pickups and NIB drop offs..... Not an everyday driver... But glad you got something that works for you..

NT>

2 months later
    #74 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

I've "rented" Dodge Caravans that get high mileage and have tons of cargo space with the stow and go seating. Don't think I would want to own one full time, but renting one is dirt cheap and sure fits the need when it comes up on rare occasions. Smooth ride and easy to load 3 pins with the side and rear doors.

I would buy what meets your everyday driver needs, and "rent" a hauler for the once in a while use cases.

1 month later
    #75 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

All good.. Guess I should of mentioned we only need it for pin pickups and NIB drop offs..... Not an everyday driver...

Wait, so you're looking for a vehicle that can handle two or more palletized pinball machines, NIB?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-ford-transit-150-power-stroke-vs-2015-mercedes-benz-sprinter-2500-bluetec-2014-ram-promaster-1500-ecodiesel-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

Look for a fleet version of one of those, highest mileage you can find. It'll have been maintained for at least the most important years and those diesels tend to run forever. Doubt you'll do better on the mpg.

#76 3 years ago

I've fit three at once in my 2001 Honda Odyssey. They were EMs so of course the heads were off, everything fit in the back and front seats weren't crowded with heads or anything, I don't even think I had the legs in the front with me. Two in through the back, one through the side on it's side (to fit the heads behind the other two), heads behind the bodies and one head up behind the passenger seat. Like Tetris!

You could feel the weight when driving but it had 0 issue doing it, even up a big hill. Love that car. Everything stayed nice and secure, mostly because there was no room for anything to move.

#77 3 years ago

BMW X3

12670561_10156512653855472_2506820747139048459_n_(resized).jpg

#78 3 years ago

In the SUV world, I am finding that many MANY new models have raked rooflines, meaning that the actual hatch opening will be smaller than needed for a folded pin. For this reason I am looking at a Didge Durango R/T right now. Measured 33" at the smallest part of the hatch opening. What do you need for a folded pin? I thought I measured 31 1/2" on my Airborne. Can anyone accurately confirm?

I don't want to buy the Suv and then not be able to do what I want to with it. Was also thinking of a Jeep Grand Cherokee but the hatch opening measured 30 3/4".

Chris

3 months later
    #79 2 years ago

If I was in the market, I'd consider this. Put a bench seat/bed in the back and it would be perfect for road trips.Pin Hobby Mobile

If I got really serious about it, this would be my perfect vehicle. I have no life outside of pinball.

#80 2 years ago

A Honda Element is a perfect choice for a single pin hauler. Low tail gate for easy loading. Small and nimble and a very reliable vehicle. I've had mine for 10 years and 180,000 miles. Great vehicle. Everyone always thinks a pin won't fit, but it fits like a dream.

#81 2 years ago

I won't lie, I'd love to see that. I was barely able to shoehorn Police Force into a Pontiac Vibe but the issue was height, not width or depth. Next one I think I'll probably attempt in a PT Cruiser and this time I'll take pictures.

#82 2 years ago

I tried to put an EM in a Ford Festiva. If the backseat wasn't in there, it would have fit.

#83 2 years ago

Astro Van.

A big ole square box, no round corners to waste space. Plus it looks cool.

13667734_10153575929860755_805417180272741182_o_(resized).jpg

1 year later
    #84 1 year ago

I've put three with the heads folded and the legs off in my Chevy Astro van too many times to count, you can load one from the side door and two straight in the back. I totally agree the all-wheel-drive Astro is an awesome vehicle for family, seating 8, I've hauled a 5 by 8 enclosed U-Haul trailer on the back with six pinballs inside and still have room for the family. The biggest problem now is they quit making them and they are hard to find

Quoted from seanymph:

Chevy astro awd.... Cheap as dirt now... Fits two pins in a T configuration with no disassembly, just slide in- slide out. Best vehicle in snow we've driven. At least as good as the awd subarus and audis I've driven. Cheap to fix, but getting harder to find. Also good beach vehicles if you care.

#85 1 year ago

This one would be perfect.

images-17 (resized).jpg

#86 1 year ago

This is my vehicle I use. 700hp gets me to the deal the quickest. Reinforced military grade Black Ops Super Charged Ford F150. I think it is the safest way to transport my pin.

20161029_195617 (resized).jpg

20161029_195645 (resized).jpg

20161029_195713 (resized).jpg

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

That looks like a pretty inexpensive car. I wasn't expecting that. I may have to watch for one of those. I assume that's a one pin car. It's kind of similar to something else I was looking at.

AMC Pacer my aunt & uncle owned one from Florida. They didn't keep it very long. I called it the Fishbowl.

Toyota Tundra https://www.toyota.com/tundra/photo-gallery/exterior/3

They start around $40,000.00 and up. They could even tow a trailer if you attached one to haul more.

4 months later
    #88 1 year ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Cheap Ford Focus Wagon will fit any pin except the stupid tall Gottlieb Sys 3 pins. I easily fit in a STTNG with the head on and folded down and you will have room for a cart and front seat passenger. Also it is low to the ground and easy to load. The car is cheap and parts are everywhere cheap. The only downside is that it is a Ford Focus Wagon, so it will never be a real joy to drive and you can only fit in one pin at time (at least without really taking them apart).
    If you plan on hauling more than one pin at a time I would look at a mini-van of some sort.

What year Focus Wagon do you have?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.75
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 15.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside