3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bay78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20161029_195713 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195645 (resized).jpg
    20161029_195617 (resized).jpg
    images-17 (resized).jpg
    13667734_10153575929860755_805417180272741182_o_(resized).jpg
    handicap-van_(resized).jpg
    2010_Ford_E150_wheelchair_accessible_conversion_van_(resized).jpg
    12670561_10156512653855472_2506820747139048459_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_13001.jpg
    image.jpg
    shortbus.jpg
    00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg
    Valentines_Vehicles_2007.jpg
    NPTransit.jpeg
    image.jpeg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I'm interested in what you guys think a good vehicle for hauling pins would be. When I first started looking, I was looking for a compact pickup. My dad used to have a Chevy Luv and I really "luved" that vehicle. I hauled fire wood in it, took trips to Indy to visit my brother from southern Indiana, and saved a lot on gas with it's manual 4 cylinder. It was also a cinch to work on myself being an older vehicle.

chevrolet-luv-06.jpg

I love the early compact pickups for their gas mileage and ease of use in the city. I was also looking at VW Caddys which are like Rabbits but a with a bed. They apparently get really good gas mileage but it's a unibody which is a little worrying.

100_1456.jpg

Recently I've been wondering if I should expand looking at bigger pickups or SUVs or minivans or even wagons. I'm single, live in a rural area which can be a problem when it snows and don't take many trips. I don't have to drive to work so day to day mileage doesn't matter much. I kind of have a preference for smaller vehicles with less of a footprint and older vehicles from the 70s and 80s. That said, I'm open to any suggestions with your personal experience on how easy it is to haul one or two pins and other pros or cons.

#2 3 years ago

4WD toyota matrix. older models need to slide the head towards the lockdown bar slightly to fit, but i've heard newer models don't have this problem

#3 3 years ago

I get to borrow my wife's parent's Ford Transit. I can fit 2 machines.

#4 3 years ago

Why is a unibody worrying? These are light weight trucks so you don't need a frame and its one of the reasons thier MPG are better.

All of the minivan pin haulers out there are unibody too, thats what makes them "mini"

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

4WD toyota matrix. older models need to slide the head towards the lockdown bar slightly to fit, but i've heard newer models don't have this problem

That looks like a pretty inexpensive car. I wasn't expecting that. I may have to watch for one of those. I assume that's a one pin car. It's kind of similar to something else I was looking at.

01212_jOWzq9stHAI_600x450.jpg

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why is a unibody worrying? These are light weight trucks so you don't need a frame and its one of the reasons thier MPG are better.
    All of the minivan pin haulers out there are unibody too, thats what makes them "mini"

I guess sometimes Dad tells you things and they just stick. I imagine if you have a something heavy in the bed it could have extra stress on the sides. A minivan would have more support with the roof but trucks that are unibody like a El Camino would have less support for sides. I know with that LUV I hauled a lot weight in the bed, probably more than I should have.

#6 3 years ago

This is what I use she's never let me down and get pins easy.

image.jpeg

#7 3 years ago

Only bad thing about open pickup bed is the weather. You may want to get a cap.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Twilight1:

This is what I use she's never let me down and get pins easy.

image.jpeg

Nice!
    This is mine.....87 shortbed

IMG_11861.jpg

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from JIM_Z:

Nice!
    This is mine.....87 shortbed

IMG_11861.jpg

Love it. Mines a 81 4+4 long box. Short box is nice but more pins fit in a long box.

#10 3 years ago

This is what I use most of the time.Has worked well for me. 2001 S10 excellent on gas
    IMG_2062.JPG

If I have to move more than one I use this one 2001 Chevy Express

IMG_2700.JPG

#11 3 years ago

Hands down the best vehicle to own for moving pins is a full size Chevy Van. Right now I have a 2001 half ton that works good but my 2001 one ton - that I wore out - was the absolute best. I have both set up with class 3 hitches & trailer brake controls so if everything doesn't fit into the van I just grab one of my enclosed trailers.

As for space in the van - if you are moving standard width machines with removable heads you can actually move 7 of them in a full size Chevy Van - tight squeeze with one head on luggage rack and hand truck on cargo carrier (one that slides into class 3 hitch). When doing that I put cardboard down and slide machines in on their side stacking machines two high and it does work.

Newer fold down head machines 4 is the max in the van with them staggered head first & coin door first side by side two rows deep.

With a 7x14 trailer I have moved 21 machines all at the same time using my 1/2 ton but I wouldn't recommend it. Kind of a heavy load for the poor 1/2 ton truck.

The biggest difference between Chevy Vans and everyone else is Chevy & GMC vans have progressive rear springs. So they ride great both empty & loaded. Other vans ride rough empty but not my Chevy Van - it rides as nice as most cars dead empty or overloaded.

The down side to a full size van is 13 to 15 MPG but other than that I wouldn't own anything else for moving machines!

#13 3 years ago

1966 Chevy 4x4 Fleet Side Short Bed 4 Speed w/ Big Six 29266photo.JPG

#15 3 years ago

Cheap Ford Focus Wagon will fit any pin except the stupid tall Gottlieb Sys 3 pins. I easily fit in a STTNG with the head on and folded down and you will have room for a cart and front seat passenger. Also it is low to the ground and easy to load. The car is cheap and parts are everywhere cheap. The only downside is that it is a Ford Focus Wagon, so it will never be a real joy to drive and you can only fit in one pin at time (at least without really taking them apart).

If you plan on hauling more than one pin at a time I would look at a mini-van of some sort.

#16 3 years ago

Unfortunately, I was part of a funeral party a few months ago.
    When the Hearse was opened, and we were sliding the casket into the back, I noticed that there were small wheels/rollers in place, so the casket just slides in easily.
    I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't considered how awesome this setup would be for moving a pinball machine.

#17 3 years ago

What's with all the pick ups as "perfect pin vehicles". A bit of rain and your in trouble. Even if its covered with a tarp your going to get moisture inside.

Vans with flat floors and tie down points are easily the best. Sure, you can't sit at the lights and nod to the guy next to you about the reno'ed TZ in the back but i'd take practicality over looks for transport

We have a guy here that does a 4000km pinball delivery/pickup run round trip (~2500 miles) once a month and uses a transit van plus covered trailer.

#18 3 years ago

I use a Honda Odyssey.... it fits anything, even 2 pins, and you don't have to worry about the weather.

#19 3 years ago

Check out the Ford Transit Connect ... They are affordable, Great on Gas and Tons of Room

2010-Ford-Transit-Connect-Exterior-Image-012-800.jpg

trn15_specs.jpg

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

Check out the Ford Transit Connect ... They are affordable, Great on Gas and Tons of Room

2010-Ford-Transit-Connect-Exterior-Image-012-800.jpg trn15_specs.jpg

Whoa. That thing looks cool.

#21 3 years ago

This has been covered many times before.

I have a 2011 Honda Fit. Fits any pin and most arcades, gets 35MPG while doing so, 40 with cruise control!

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Unfortunately, I was part of a funeral party a few months ago.
    I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't considered how awesome this setup would be for moving a pinball machine.

Indeed. Indeed it is.

rd

The RotorDave PinHearse of Doooooooooooom

#23 3 years ago

No pickup truck, SUV or station wagon can be considered the "perfect pin-hauling vehicle".

The perfect vehicle would probably have to be a box truck with a lift gate because then you could just wheel the machine right in fully-assembled with the legs on and back box in the upright position, but as far as "normal" vehicles go it would definitely have to be a cargo van.

Here's my 1/2 ton Chevy Express cargo van. I can fit three machines in it but two are the norm.

IMG_3584.JPG

#24 3 years ago

Yes for the long trips a van is ideal. But When picking up a pin locally nothing better then pulling up in a old school Chevy

#25 3 years ago

I used to say my Toyota 4Runner...until I tried to carry my Banzai Run this weekend. Used my neighbor's Astro Van with plenty of room.

#26 3 years ago

My glorious shit box Ford Ranger was near the end of its days so I sold it and picked up this 02 Ford Windstar for $1500. Decent mileage, you can easily fit 2 pins in it, front wheel drive and they are cheap! You have to be a very "comfortable" with your manhood to drive this thing though. At least it isnt my daily driver. I do make everyone call me Lord Windstar (in a Jean-Luc Picard voice) now...

00V0V_gmSreRuCZU8_600x450.jpg

#27 3 years ago

image.jpegIf you want something with a small footprint consider a Honda Element. It has a low tailgate so it's easy to lift games into and has a high ceiling and you can slide a game in and out without taking the game off of the dolly. You can also get Elements in all wheel drive. We have one and it's great.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

image.jpeg If you want something with a small footprint consider a Honda Element.

sorry but damn she's ugly though ...

http://newestcars2016.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-Honda-Element-Review.jpg

It's what i'd imagine if KTM designed a covered mobility scooter to look like.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

sorry but damn she's ugly though ....

To each his own, I think the Element looks cool - especially the orange color!

#30 3 years ago

Does anybody worry about heighth? Some of them pickups are tall.

#31 3 years ago

Whoa! If this is what a 2016 Honda Element looks like, I do agree that it's ugly! The old ones look 1000 times better. What are they thinking?
    image.jpeg

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

image.jpeg If you want something with a small footprint consider a Honda Element. It has a low tailgate so it's easy to lift games into and has a high ceiling and you can slide a game in and out without taking the game off of the dolly. You can also get Elements in all wheel drive. We have one and it's great.

From what I understand only one pin fits in these.

#33 3 years ago

Honda CRV.......look no further

#34 3 years ago

One in, one out.P1010019 - Copy.JPG

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I use a Honda Odyssey.... it fits anything, even 2 pins, and you don't have to worry about the weather.

I'm in the minivan fan club as well('09 Odyssey). Only thing is, I'm not single and have 4 kids so it's more functional for me. Just buy the most affordable, spacious, fuel efficient one that you can from the forum post about which cars hold how many comfortably. Truth is, you should just look at it this way; car for 10k and 4 pins for 10k($2500 each)= car purchased for 20k. That should help you with your decision.

#36 3 years ago

Here's a pretty fairly priced Ford Transit but it runs on propane. Not much storage space left and where would you fill it up?

chicago.craigslist.org link

00f0f_4wrflLqT3Zg_600x450.jpg

#37 3 years ago

I use a 2002 Chevy Suburban. The back is almost the perfect height to place a pin on, and you can find suburbans pretty cheap.

#38 3 years ago

toyota rav4, barely any petrol and fits a pin nicely.

#39 3 years ago

How many pins fit in aregular ford transit?

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

How many pins fit in aregular ford transit?

I had a 2005 Mid Roof model, and it fitted 4 machines with legs on (pretty easily).

I would think it would fit 8-10 in with the legs off and vertical. 8 easy, maybe 10. I didn't try ...

rd

image.jpeg

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Whoa. That thing looks cool.

I thought so too when they first announced the new body design.
    Special ordered the short wheelbase XLT EcoBoost wagon (w/liftgate) back in the Spring of 2014 and have been super happy with it's performance/daily driveability thus far.
    Now that it's over a year old; with a fair amount of various-sized machines moving in and out of it due to the low liftgate and cavernous interior, I can confidently say it's an awesome pin-hauler.
    NPTransit.jpeg

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Special ordered the short wheelbase XLT EcoBoost wagon (w/liftgate) back in the Spring of 2014

how many standard DMDs legs off can you fit?

#43 3 years ago

My vote goes to anything covered. I've transported at least 20 pinball machines in a 2006 Honda Odyssey. I'd hate to be transporting a game in a pickup and run into a sudden rain squall.

#44 3 years ago

Now that I have been introduced to those ford transits, I see them all over now. Haha. The 350HD is like a sprinter. That things is like mobile work shop.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how many standard DMDs legs off can you fit?

Since I went with the short wheelbase I usually can only take one on it's belly but, if I REALLY needed to carry more than one I could 69 them (Hiyo!) on their respective sides and make the unexpected two machine trip work if I absolutely had to. DMD's wouldn't really fit properly due to the taller cabs and I'd probably need to properly support/space the cab off the floor for each head of a standard machine but, it could be done if I knew I was picking up two.
    With the flat floor and low liftgate, my usual method of loading DMD/SS machines is to use a piece of remnant carpet slightly larger than the machine to "glide" the pin in with very minimal effort. My Harbor freight table lift is used in the very beginning to position and to get all four legs off the ground. After I remove either the front or rear legs, I push 1/4 of the machine (still raised) into the vehicle, stopping the lift just before the bumper. Once the machine is positioned, I slide the start of the carpet between the pin and the floor and lower the machine into the floor to keep the carpet from moving. Once that's done, I can push the machine in enough to take off the remaining legs no problemo.

Not that Whysnow or the majority of Pinsiders on here care but, you can ALSO put about FOUR woodrails vertically into it as well if need be...

#46 3 years ago

do you think the standard wheel base would fit 2?

I was thinking side by side on their bellies; one in face front and one in facing back?

#47 3 years ago

I'll go measure...
    Ooooohhh, pretty close for newer Sterns but unfortunately the narrowest part of the cargo area hinders it at 47-1/4" wide. The interior portion of the sliding doors on both sides ARE a tad bit wider (57-ish") than the 47-1/4" but, I don't know if the machines could angle that tiny bit more to fit at the narrowest point.
    Heads off though, no problemo!
    Plenty of room to spare.

I guess I just have to try it since most standard DMD cabs are around 22" wide with roughly 3" of overhang from the edge of BB.

#48 3 years ago

This was the fleet and they will all haul pinball machines, except the V65 Magna...LOL
    1946 Dodge 3/4 ton; 1951 Chevy 3/4 ton ; 1960 Ford Panel; 1966 Chevy 4x4, 1998 Chevy Suburban, 2003 American General H2, and 2003 Escalade. All American!!

Valentines_Vehicles_2007.jpg

#49 3 years ago

I don't think I would ever buy one, but I have rented Dodge Caravans with stow and go seating and those suckers will hold 3 pins easy. They get great mileage if you are going to do a long road trip and there is any chance of rain. Did two 1000 mile plus trips and they just rock as a pin hauler.

That said, I am a Chevy man with two Vettes and an Avalanche, which is only good for short hauls.

#50 3 years ago

I've been searching CL and been finding all sorts of oddities. Here's a 2012 Nissan Sprinter Van. The thing looks like a moose.

00N0N_c2WM3iOjhad_600x450.jpg

I've found a couple of Broncos and thought maybe that would be a nice truck to have. It could haul a trailer or I could take out the back seat and store pins in the back. Plus the top comes off which I always thought was cool.

00V0V_bJs33MKnRoF_600x450.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside