Slaughter_of_the_Soul.jpg
1341.jpg
repeater-4fbcd9269a18b.jpg
population_override.jpg
shvl-795-front.jpg
Zappa_Roxy__Elsewhere.jpg
roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg
Clutch-Psychic-Warefare-Cover-300x300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#277 8 years ago

Love most of the music listed so far and many of my top 10 have already been thrown in so I'll add one that I consider to be a perfect album:

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk

Their first album, Bellybutton, was more of a Beatles sound but Spilt Milk is their Queen record. Perfectly produced (Jack Joseph Puig) and mixed power-pop with hilariously fun lyrics. I highly recommend it.

Also didn't see The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, which I personally think is to Robitussin what Floyd's DSOTM is to weed but hey, however you like to do it. =) Either way, it's the sort of album you put on because you want to listen closely and do nothing else. Would make a crazy pinball theme too...

#298 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Blue Oyster Cult- Tyranny and Mutation

I had a BOC greatest hits tape in my teens and loved it but I was really mostly in it for the hits - Reaper, Burning, Godzilla, etc. - never listened to the deeper cuts. This past winter I got hooked on the Swedish band Ghost (currently Ghost B.C. in the US due to lawyers) and somewhere in my 2-3 times a day listenings, I realized how much they sound like BOC meets Black Sabbath. Slow, churning minor-key doom metal with beautiful pop harmonies and amazingly well written songs. So to mix it up a bit I started digging into the BOC back catalogue and was very pleasantly surprised. Ended up listening to a bunch of their albums on repeat. I love when a band I never really 'got' before suddenly clicks.

Quoted from swampfire:

Maybe not perfect, but this is the most creative and artistic album I've heard. Not a bad song in it. MM - The Moon and Antarctica.PNG

Now THIS I'm very curious to hear. I loved the last album and was pretty fond of all of them but didn't realize this was coming. Shame Johnny Marr bailed... I've been a huge Smiths fan since the first time I heard The Queen is Dead and liked Electronic quite a lot too. I had hoped he would be a good fit.

Quoted from swampfire:

I like this one too. It's an anti-materialist manifesto, but it has some good tunes - I love "Society". This album makes me want to run away from home. Into the Wild.PNG

Great album and movie, damn if it didn't depress the hell out of me on the first go-round. My high school girlfriend and I were into Steinbeck and stuff like that and often talked about just taking off for anywhere... hitchhiking, hopping trains - you know, stuff that sounds romantic when you're young and have zero ability to assess risk. She once rear ended someone because she was trying to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance while driving in town. Come to think of it, I'm due for a re-read on that one myself.

#301 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So many great albums...
doors.jpeg

Recently found my CD boxed set with the album-style sleeves. God, I think I bought (err, shoplifted.. wayward youth and all) every book with Morrison's name on it. Growing up in a conservative xtian home, I had never heard of the Doors until this song came along.

#302 8 years ago

(may not work in all countries, but the song is Steve Taylor's "Jim Morrison's Grave" from I Predict 1990.)

Related: Danny Sugarman's 'Appetite for Destruction' - fascinating GnR bio from the guy who defined the Doors in print.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I heard a lot of early boc on an underground station that played a lot of obscure music from a large variety of bands that other stations wouldn't play. They changed format a few times since coming online in the late 60s. I had to bend my antenna to make it come in. They dabbled in punk, reggae and new wave for a few years and I took all that in. Saw some great shows. Then one day I turned it on and they were playing Fade To Black by Metallica. We had come full circle. 105.5 KNAC RIP.

I feel you, brother. For me it was the indie record store nearby (http://www.recordconnectionpa.com/) ...one of the guys who worked there would send me back in the stacks around closing time so he could clear out the customers and then we'd chill and groove on Gentle Giant or whatever he was into at the time. I used that opportunity to spin all the stuff I'd heard was cool from cool people who were cooler than I could ever hope to be.

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Thanks man. Don't waste your money, just share the love. That's why we have that stuff up there non-password protected now. I'd rather have everyone hear it than make a single cent. We just do what we love to do, if other people like it, added bonus.

I was gettin' ready to listen to it already before I read this, but good on you brother!

#316 8 years ago

Wow, that was really good. That's gonna get listened to a lot here. Have to check out your other stuff when I can. I recently came indoors and now have a job where I can have my headphones on most of the time so the music fiend in me is on a rampage.

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Well, after a few days and probably a dozen listens I'm hooked. Have a different take on Pink Floyd now, that's for sure.
Can see what you guys were talking about re flow and great songs. Even my 7yr old girl loves the start of Money...lol, started singing along to it where she can!!
What other albums of there's should I look at?!

The Division Bell
Meddle
Wish You Were Here

Whichever one of those you like the best will determine the next list. =) Don't forget Roger's solo stuff...

Roger_Waters_Pros_Cons_HH.jpgRoger_Waters_Pros_Cons_HH.jpg

#323 8 years ago

Petra_Never_Say_Die.jpgPetra_Never_Say_Die.jpg

Same label?

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

All the albums by Porcupine Tree and Gomez, two current UK bands that I love.

Local record store owner turned me on to Porcupine Tree somewhere around Downstair/Sky Moves Sideways, been a fan ever since. Have you checked out Neal Morse (Spock's Beard) and his band's (which includes Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater) new album, The Grand Experiment? I've been enjoying it lately when I'm in the mood for something cheery and uplifting (Ghost BC when I'm not) --

Haven't listened to Gomez much but have loved what I've heard. I'll add them to the rotation. I was out in the field for the past decade but recently came inside and one of the perks is that my Grados are on my head all day unless the phone rings.

#341 8 years ago

Jesus built my hotrod.

#342 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks for the link. That is good stuff. Reminds me slightly of the stuff Yes did in the 80's. Is Neal Morse any relation to Steve Morse?

nope, but you're not the first to ask. they did do a project together though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Colors_(band)

#349 8 years ago

Grandma's Boy is without question my fav comedy movie out there.

2 weeks later
#354 8 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I personally think August and Everything After is the most complete CD ever made. It is a complete thought start to finish. Seeing and meeting Adam in person truly explains this CD completely. The man lives through his music and every time he performs it hurts. You can see him hurting.

I had half a mind to make fun until I remembered how much I actually enjoyed that album. I know they kind of became a punchline later on but damn that album was good. I also remember warm fuzzies from when Adam wore a Jellyfish t-shirt in the Mr. Jones video, since I was completely obsessed with them and Roger was the one who turned me on to Counting Crows long before they blew up.

https://yerdoingreat.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/bellybutton/

Huge Tool fan as well. =)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-perfect-album?tu=emkay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.