4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 94 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
blood-ceremony-lord-of-misrule_(resized).jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
cover_masterofpuppets_lg.jpg
Speakenglish.jpg
Bing-Crosby-Merry-Christmas-Wallpapers-3.jpg
Slaughter_of_the_Soul.jpg
1341.jpg
repeater-4fbcd9269a18b.jpg
population_override.jpg
shvl-795-front.jpg
Zappa_Roxy__Elsewhere.jpg
roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg
Clutch-Psychic-Warefare-Cover-300x300.jpg

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I'm sure most of you have never heard of this guy but if you like good music you owe it to yourself to list to this recording at least three times:
http://kevingilbert.com/discography/solo/the-shaming-of-the-true/
He's dead now which is a huge shame. This album was put together post-mortem. You can find all the songs on youtube.
RB

Everyone here who is even a casual fan of prog/eclectic rock should check this out, and I agree completely with the idea of giving it at least three listens before making up your mind. It's the kind of album which richly rewards active rather than passive listening (give it your undivided attention when listening, works great with headphones), almost in the same way a good Classical piece can grow on the listener.

I strongly recommend the special edition CD set: http://www.popplusone.com/kg_sott_special_ed.html
I know $45 is a lot to spend on a single album (though a hell of a lot less than a pinball machine!), but if you are a music collector (especially one with eclectic tastes) this really should be in your library.

He was one of the founders of the "Tuesday Night Music Club" (a group of friends who met on Tuesdays to jam/write) and his musical input is the main reason Sheryl Crow had so much success with the album. Unfortunately she completely screwed him over once her career started to take off, and he was dead a few years later.

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

How about a little Black Sunday by Cypress Hill?

Agreed.

#403 4 years ago

More metal...

Slaughter_of_the_Soul.jpg

#404 4 years ago

Bing-Crosby-Merry-Christmas-Wallpapers-3.jpg

#405 4 years ago

The shift away from the album to producing Singles is unfortunate. you can blame many factors (high compression files, music sharing, overall direction of the industry) but the artists focusing on crafting an album has declined. Not only do you loose the creative process of structuring a group of work or creating a story with music but the cover art and liner notes are almost non existent. Granted there are a few left that still strive for an album. Was nice to see the Mars Volta use Storm on their first few album covers.

When I started discovering music I would scour through my fathers classic rock albums and while listening to the record would look through the album artwork package. Sadly this emmersive experience is not what it was.

But I digress lementing on nostalgia. Below are the albums I love to listen through. I think you can tell when both me and my father grew up. And I think most of these have been mentioned

Radiohead: ok computer
Alice in chains: jar of flies, Alice in chains, dirt, black gives way to blue
Pearl jam: Vs., ten
Smashing pumpkins: Siamese Dream
Tool: aenima
U2: Joshua tree (maybe best into ever)

Beatles: Abby road, revolver
Led Zeppelin: houses of the holy
Yes: close to the edge
Pink Floyd: animals, dark side

Chill music:
Bucket head: colma
Mike Oldfield: songs of distant earth

#406 4 years ago

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

... [removed]

#407 4 years ago

I love "Jesus he knows me" for some reason.

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Thanks for the bump guys...gotta say after first starting this thread and being told to go listen to Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.....it has turned into one of my all time favourites.
Not sick of it yet and still on high rotation in my car!

So cool to see that people are STILL discovering this album, one of the greats for sure. It also happens to be one of the best-recorded Rock albums as well.

Now go listen to "Wish You Were Here", you'll almost certainly enjoy it too. I think I might actually prefer it to DSOM.

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

So cool to see that people are STILL discovering this album, one of the greats for sure. It also happens to be one of the best-recorded Rock albums as well.
Now go listen to "Wish You Were Here", you'll almost certainly enjoy it too. I think I might actually prefer it to DSOM.

Done.

Actually thinking of going back over this thread and grabbing all the albums that have been given the most thumbs up in here...hehe. Might be a good way to enlighten my musical taste.

#410 4 years ago

Dire Straits : Alchemy

#411 4 years ago

Speakenglish.jpg

#412 4 years ago

Abby Road
Rumours
DSOTM
Back In Black
Purple Rain

#413 4 years ago

cover_masterofpuppets_lg.jpg

#414 4 years ago

It's a tie for me...

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Everyone here who is even a casual fan of prog/eclectic rock should check this out, and I agree completely with the idea of giving it at least three listens before making up your mind. It's the kind of album which richly rewards active rather than passive listening (give it your undivided attention when listening, works great with headphones), almost in the same way a good Classical piece can grow on the listener.
I strongly recommend the special edition CD set: http://www.popplusone.com/kg_sott_special_ed.html
I know $45 is a lot to spend on a single album (though a hell of a lot less than a pinball machine!), but if you are a music collector (especially one with eclectic tastes) this really should be in your library.
He was one of the founders of the "Tuesday Night Music Club" (a group of friends who met on Tuesdays to jam/write) and his musical input is the main reason Sheryl Crow had so much success with the album. Unfortunately she completely screwed him over once her career started to take off, and he was dead a few years later.

well stated. sheryl crow is not sheryl crow without KG. Listen to some of his stuff then go listen to all I wanna do and you will see how much KG is in there. Here's a really cool cover of kashmir. Listen to the whole thing. Give him a chance and you will get hooked like I did. Dude was brilliant:

#416 4 years ago

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Beck - Odelay
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Weezer - Blue Album
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Social Dostortion - self titled
Agent Orange - Living in Darkness
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
The Cure - The Head on the Door

#417 4 years ago

UFO - Strangers In The Night. Double live album from '79. Michael Schenker crushes it !

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Abby Road
Rumours
DSOTM
Back In Black
Purple Rain

+1 for rumors

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece.
... [removed]

oh my. wow. ummmmm. duuuuuuude....

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

oh my. wow. ummmmm. duuuuuuude....

I would have gone for the album Abacab.

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

I would have gone for the album Abacab.

gabriel era: selling england by the pound
collins era: trick of the tail

invisible touch: dead last

#422 4 years ago

Supertramp- Crime of the Century
Alan Parsons Project- I Robot
UK-UK
Foghat- Live
Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic

8 months later
#423 3 years ago

Basement bump!

One of my favorite new finds of the last few years - Blood Ceremony
If you're into anything 70's rock, stoner, Jethro Tullish, you can't not like this band. Love their latest record, caught myself listening to it twice in a row at work last week.

https://play.spotify.com/album/1tWozguuzNdP3biFsKcIiC

blood-ceremony-lord-of-misrule_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#424 3 years ago

At least one other mentioned it but...

Maggot Brain

1 year later
#426 2 years ago

IMG_1220 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#428 2 years ago

Hell yes!! That's a great album!! May have drag it out of the collection a drop that in the car.

I must say, reading this thread again there is such an eclectic range albums in here, it's awesome!!

#429 2 years ago

Now you guys are just throwin shit at the walls.
This thread used to mean something​.

#430 2 years ago

Probably already mentioned but I listened to & loved "Double Live Gonzo" a lot in my years & that's my pick for this thread

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Hell yes!! That's a great album!! May have drag it out of the collection a drop that in the car.
I must say, reading this thread again there is such an eclectic range albums in here, it's awesome!!

Right on! A very dark time for Thrax but this album came out AMAZING

#433 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Now you guys are just throwin shit at the walls.
This thread used to mean something​.

You used to be fun man.
Now you're just cranky.

#434 2 years ago

You want the truth?
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Knocked the ole lady's iud out so now I have to wear condoms until we can *compromise* on a solution. I can't stand a fckn condom so yeah...IM NOT GETTIN LAID ENOUGH. IS IT NOTICEABLE?

#436 2 years ago

I can't tell if it's perfect or not I have a hard time making it through a death metal album at my old age. I had a hankerin' for some Cannibal Corpse last week, I only made it like 6 songs into The Bleeding.

#437 2 years ago

Oops. Not a "PERFECT" album contender. Just what I'm jammin right now. Cattle Decap will cut yer throat!

#438 2 years ago

Listening to this band lately, great tunes on their first self titled album. This song will be on the next album released soon. Just Classic ROCK

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 28.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside