4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 94 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
blood-ceremony-lord-of-misrule_(resized).jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
cover_masterofpuppets_lg.jpg
Speakenglish.jpg
Bing-Crosby-Merry-Christmas-Wallpapers-3.jpg
Slaughter_of_the_Soul.jpg
1341.jpg
repeater-4fbcd9269a18b.jpg
population_override.jpg
shvl-795-front.jpg
Zappa_Roxy__Elsewhere.jpg
roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg
Clutch-Psychic-Warefare-Cover-300x300.jpg

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

Tool Aenima
Killers Hot Fuss
Pearl Jam Ten
Counting Crows August and Everything After

Lol, thought I might be the only person on the planet that loved both Aenima and August and Everything After.

#352 4 years ago

I've been following this thread and trying the different albums. Cool thread! I recommend

Big Wreck: pleasure and the greed
Queensryche: Empire

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Lol, thought I might be the only person on the planet that loved both Aenima and August and Everything After.

Nope.

I personally think August and Everything After is the most complete CD ever made. It is a complete thought start to finish. Seeing and meeting Adam in person truly explains this CD completely. The man lives through his music and every time he performs
it hurts. You can see him hurting. Seeing him perform 'a long december' live is truly numbing. Even though its from 'a desert life'.

Maynard is the same. Ive been lucky to meet them both.

Eucrid,
Have you heard Barenaked Ladies 'Gordon' or 'rock spectacle'? Buy one!

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I personally think August and Everything After is the most complete CD ever made. It is a complete thought start to finish. Seeing and meeting Adam in person truly explains this CD completely. The man lives through his music and every time he performs it hurts. You can see him hurting.

I had half a mind to make fun until I remembered how much I actually enjoyed that album. I know they kind of became a punchline later on but damn that album was good. I also remember warm fuzzies from when Adam wore a Jellyfish t-shirt in the Mr. Jones video, since I was completely obsessed with them and Roger was the one who turned me on to Counting Crows long before they blew up.

https://yerdoingreat.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/bellybutton/

Huge Tool fan as well. =)

#355 4 years ago

When I first read this post, my first thoughts were Yes albums. Some others posted them and I went with Porcupine Tree, not to be redundant.

In memory of Chris Squire, I would say these 3 albums would be on top of my list as perfect:

The Yes Album 1971
Fragile 1972
Close to the Edge 1972

Huge loss in the music world today, very sad.

#356 4 years ago

Some great 90s punk rock
Pennywise - Unknown Road
Rancid - ...and out come the wolves

#357 4 years ago

I'd usually say "Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain", Use Your Illusion by Guns n Roses was also great at the time, but thinking about it i need to give this thread some European flavor, and also choose something from this Decade...so: "Arctic Monkeys - AM"

#358 4 years ago

Another perfect one, for me at least: The Black Keys - Brothers

#359 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

Yes - Close to the Edge

Oh yeah, man. Listened to it several times today in honor of Chris Squire. What an artistic masterpiece!

#360 4 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

When I first read this post, my first thoughts were Yes albums. Some others posted them and I went with Porcupine Tree, not to be redundant.
In memory of Chris Squire, I would say these 3 albums would be on top of my list as perfect:
The Yes Album 1971
Fragile 1972
Close to the Edge 1972
Huge loss in the music world today, very sad.

Those are my favorite three YES albums. All superb.

#361 4 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

Nope.
I personally think August and Everything After is the most complete CD ever made. It is a complete thought start to finish. Seeing and meeting Adam in person truly explains this CD completely. The man lives through his music and every time he performs
it hurts. You can see him hurting. Seeing him perform 'a long december' live is truly numbing. Even though its from 'a desert life'.
Maynard is the same. Ive been lucky to meet them both.
Eucrid,
Have you heard Barenaked Ladies 'Gordon' or 'rock spectacle'? Buy one!

Man, so jealous you've met Maynard. I've seen Tool several times, definitely an awesome concert. Last year I bought a ticket to see Puscifer and forgot to go to the concert, lol.

Nope, I've not I've not listened to those, I'll check them out. Thanks.

#362 4 years ago

51siwf0oYXL._SL500_.jpg

Mostly bluegrass mixed with a bit of 70s prog folk and a touch of southern rock for an excellent mostly perfect album from start to finish.

1 week later
#363 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I love Porcupine Tree, love all of it. From Voyage 34 to the last one, The Incident. Obviously Wilson drove it 95%, but the variety, complexity, and quality of the songwriting and musical ability of the band is second to none in this modern age. Deadwing is a masterpiece, as are Stupid Dream and Lightblub Sun. Starting to get them all on vinyl and they sound every better. Can't find Deadwing on vinyl though....bummer.
However, we have to consider them as no longer a current band as Wilson has moved on. If you haven't already, check out Blackfield's first three albums where Wilson also was involved. The songs are shorter, but they have the same style. Blackfield II is a perfect album.
amazon.com link »

Hey Methos, Listened to Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun last night (for the 100th time ), masterpieces for sure. Check out John Wesley, touring guitarist for Pork Tree and Marillion. Disconnect and Lilypad Suite are very good albums. Link to his site:

http://johnwesley.bandcamp.com/

2 months later
#365 4 years ago

Two other albums I love listening all the way through....
Dream theater - images and words
Sage Francis - personal journals

#366 4 years ago

To name a few

Megadeth_-_Peace_Sells____But_Whos_Buying-.jpg

MI0000677693.jpg

91c94559e7.jpg

179392.jpg

Slayer-Reign-In-Blood-1024x1024.jpg

#367 4 years ago

Wow, the bleeding heh? I have a hard time listening to a death metal album back to back nowadays, but I've been an advocate of how cannibal corpse manage to make their stuff as heavy as heavy music can get without overdoing it. Wouldn't have thought about it, but that album is pretty close to a death metal masterpiece.
F'd with a knife and the pick axe murders are my two faves, and the title track is a great one to slow things down and keep things interesting.

#368 4 years ago

Can't find the full album, but here's something I can listen to back to back when the mood is right. Little known band, just one album, hits the nail on the head.

#369 4 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Wow, the bleeding heh? I have a hard time listening to a death metal album back to back nowadays, but I've been an advocate of how cannibal corpse manage to make their stuff as heavy as heavy music can get without overdoing it.

Six feet Under with the same singer (Chris Barnes) is the same kind of stuff, better in fact and there lastest album is quite good, I love Death Metal but like you I'm very selective, the new stuff for the most part is too much, I like it to have some groove, the late 80's and 90's is the best time for this music.

#370 4 years ago

Yeah I know these guys, haven't listened to that in years... I'll give em a spin at work tomorrow...

#372 4 years ago

My pick for a perfect album is one that I am sure not many people have even heard of. It is "The Unforgiving" by Within Temptation.

#373 4 years ago

Double Live Gonzo!!

#374 4 years ago

Lou Reed. Transformer
Bowie. Ziggy Stardust

#375 4 years ago

97f4ec8a07c4f5d64b819cbf72ce1734532c9e1b.jpg

Rage_Against_the_Machine_-_Evil_Empire.png

#376 4 years ago

My top 10 for PURE, straight Rock and Roll (no particular order):

Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed"
13th Floor Elevators "Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators"
Johnny Thunders & Heartbreakers "L.A.M.F."
Runaways "Queens of Noise"
Who "Live at Leeds"
Stooges "Fun House"
Flamin' Groovies "Teenage Head"
Dead Boys "Young Loud and Snotty"
Blue Cheer "Vincebus Eruptum"
Johnny Cash "Live at San Quentin" (not strictly "Rock", but more attitude than Stiv Bators, Iggy Pop, and John Lydon combined)

#377 4 years ago

Thanks for the bump guys...gotta say after first starting this thread and being told to go listen to Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.....it has turned into one of my all time favourites.

Not sick of it yet and still on high rotation in my car!

#378 4 years ago

#379 4 years ago

Never listened to that one, I'll give it a spin today.

#380 4 years ago

roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.....it has turned into one of my all time favourites.

that reminds of this... meddle

shvl-795-front.jpg

#382 4 years ago

almost forgot about buckethead's population override.

population_override.jpg

#383 4 years ago

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Immortal - At The Heart of Winter (almost entire catalog - like Michael Bolton lol)
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
God Dethroned - Bloody Blasphemy
Carcass - Heartwork
Depeche Mode - Violator
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace

These are pretty mainstream in the metal world..but as I get closer to 40 I just don't care. At least off the top of my head since the list can go on...and on...

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Thanks for the bump guys...gotta say after first starting this thread and being told to go listen to Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.....it has turned into one of my all time favourites.
Not sick of it yet and still on high rotation in my car!

It's the best.I wore out three albums playing it.

#385 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg

Love Joes Garage,especially the first one.

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

Toto IV
Van Halen 1984

excellent choices. 1984 is way underated but by far the best VH release imo

#387 4 years ago

I'm sure most of you have never heard of this guy but if you like good music you owe it to yourself to list to this recording at least three times:

http://kevingilbert.com/discography/solo/the-shaming-of-the-true/

He's dead now which is a huge shame. This album was put together post-mortem. You can find all the songs on youtube.

RB

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

Oh so that's a brand new one is it? I found a playlist on youtube that has what seems to be most of the songs, but not on spotify yet... anywhere I can stream this in its entirety and correct order?
Listening to X-Ray vision right now, sounds pretty damn good.

#390 4 years ago

repeater-4fbcd9269a18b.jpg

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

I would have to say Boston's self titled album is as close to perfect as you can get.

Boston's first LP was a superb album. First offerings are usually better than follow-ups, since the songs on first LPs are the best ones chosen from everything the artists have written up until then. Songs on second albums are either leftovers from their early compositions (that didn't make the cut for the first album) or new songs artists write (or slap together) while on tour playing the songs from the first album.

My favorite album of all time is New York Connection by Tom Scott, but I'm a big fan of jazz-rock fusion music.

#392 4 years ago

Alright, I admit that it's not all "classic rock" but I am way too huge of a Dream Theater fan to leave some of their stuff off.

1.Scenes from a Memory - This album tells a super compelling story while still hitting some of the best of rock, ballads, and acoustic has to offer.

2.Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Another album that is a rollercoaster. Orchestral openings and closings around some fantastic and thought provoking rock and acoustic awesomeness

I'll move past Dream Theater so that it's not too much of an overload, but overall, their lineup is great. Also check out "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" as well as "Systematic Chaos" by them.

Rush - 2112
Rush - Moving Pictures
Kansas - Leftoverture
Kansas - Point of Know Return
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
Alan Parson's Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

There are my two cents of some of my favorite albums from some of my favorite bands. I love albums that tell a story and that flow naturally from one song into the next.

#393 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Boston's first LP was a superb album. First offerings are usually better than follow-ups, since the songs on first LPs are the best ones chosen from everything the artists have written up until then. Songs on second albums are either leftovers from their early compositions (that didn't make the cut for the first album)

You're mostly right.
But DANZIG II, Lucifuge, is absolutely an exception to that. As good as his first....some say better. I can't decide, but I listen to II more.
Under her black wings....

#394 4 years ago
Quoted from blastbeat:

Carcass - Heartwork

Didn't think anybody liked that album but me. Nice 1st post. Welcome to Pinside.

#395 4 years ago

I like it too brother.
I think the first time I played guitar on a stage was a music school show where I played Black Star and Hallowed be thy name.

Agreed for Lucifuge too, except for that horrible cover.

*Edit: Oh wait, Heartwork! Everyone who likes Carcass likes that one! It's Swansong that people hate...

#396 4 years ago

Doh ! You're right Phil.
I still like Swansong.
Polarized is a bad ass track....but it's no Heartwork or Descanting the Insalubrious...their masterpiece. Dont know how I always confuse the two.
As long as it's Carcass,...I'll take it....

#397 4 years ago

Here's two excellent (maybe not perfect, but close IMO) 90's black metallish albums for you metalheads:

1341.jpg

#398 4 years ago

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.....
The Dust of Retreat.
Indy shoegaze perfection.

#399 4 years ago

Here's a few older albums that I consider 10s' :

Armageddon - s/t
Audience - House on the Hill
Adrien Belew - Op Zop Too Wah
Blue Oyster Cult - s/t, Secret Treaties, Tyranny and Mutation
Djam Karet - The Devouring

more to come.

#400 4 years ago

How about a little Black Sunday by Cypress Hill?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,450.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
$ 47.00
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 89.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 229.99
There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside