4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 94 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
blood-ceremony-lord-of-misrule_(resized).jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
cover_masterofpuppets_lg.jpg
Speakenglish.jpg
Bing-Crosby-Merry-Christmas-Wallpapers-3.jpg
Slaughter_of_the_Soul.jpg
1341.jpg
repeater-4fbcd9269a18b.jpg
population_override.jpg
shvl-795-front.jpg
Zappa_Roxy__Elsewhere.jpg
roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg
Clutch-Psychic-Warefare-Cover-300x300.jpg

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So many great albums...
doors.jpeg

Recently found my CD boxed set with the album-style sleeves. God, I think I bought (err, shoplifted.. wayward youth and all) every book with Morrison's name on it. Growing up in a conservative xtian home, I had never heard of the Doors until this song came along.

#302 4 years ago

(may not work in all countries, but the song is Steve Taylor's "Jim Morrison's Grave" from I Predict 1990.)

Related: Danny Sugarman's 'Appetite for Destruction' - fascinating GnR bio from the guy who defined the Doors in print.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I heard a lot of early boc on an underground station that played a lot of obscure music from a large variety of bands that other stations wouldn't play. They changed format a few times since coming online in the late 60s. I had to bend my antenna to make it come in. They dabbled in punk, reggae and new wave for a few years and I took all that in. Saw some great shows. Then one day I turned it on and they were playing Fade To Black by Metallica. We had come full circle. 105.5 KNAC RIP.

I feel you, brother. For me it was the indie record store nearby (http://www.recordconnectionpa.com/) ...one of the guys who worked there would send me back in the stacks around closing time so he could clear out the customers and then we'd chill and groove on Gentle Giant or whatever he was into at the time. I used that opportunity to spin all the stuff I'd heard was cool from cool people who were cooler than I could ever hope to be.

#304 4 years ago

Scorpions Toko Tapes, Scorpions world wide Live, Pennywise-Pennywise, Offspring-Smash, Motorhead Inferno, j ust few that come to mind I can listen from start to finish.

#305 4 years ago

I'm proud to say that "L.A. Woman" got me into trouble when I was 16. I was working at a skating rink where "Double Dutch Bus" and such pap were played over and over. I brought in my Doors album and asked the DJ to put on LA Woman. People were really digging it, but about halfway into the song the manager came up to the DJ booth and yelled "What the hell is this? Change it NOW!" I took my record and slunk back to my skate counter. "Tuck in your laces!", I growled for the rest of the day.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I threw that Journey album on the list as it is nothing like what they turned into after they got the new singer and went on to sell millions of albums. The one I mentioned is pretty solid.

Ah cool, I love when bands have lost albums like that that the bands stop acknowledging...like the very first Def Leppard album or the four Pantera hair metal albums

#307 4 years ago

MAXINQUAYE

71uxmuD6P8L._SL1061_.jpg

#308 4 years ago

probably already mentioned before.... this is my perfect album (start to finish)

RADIOHEADthebends.jpg

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Maybe not perfect, but this is the most creative and artistic album I've heard. Not a bad song in it.

MM - The Moon and Antarctica.PNG (Click image to enlarge)

Love that album too. Lyrics are sick.

3rd Planet opening line - "Everything that keeps me together is falling apart,
I've got this thing that I consider my only art of fking people over"
Genius

You may like my band's stuff if you like more out-there kinda artsy stuff. It's more electronic though, less guitar and drums (although our older stuff is more guitar & real drums). That usually deters a lot of new listeners, not everyone loves synths and synth drums. I show people that don't dig that stuff the older stuff first. But the album as a whole was a very conscious effort, meant to be listened to straight-thru.
http://www.thedefog.com/shadow/The_Defog-The_Shadow_Companion.zip
Rest of the albums here:
http://www.thedefog.com/promo/

#310 4 years ago

Cool, I'm going to grab these and give them a listen tonight!

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Cool, I'm going to grab these and give them a listen tonight!

Cool, hope you enjoy it!.

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I like this one too. It's an anti-materialist manifesto, but it has some good tunes - I love "Society". This album makes me want to run away from home.

Into the Wild.PNG (Click image to enlarge)

Not a big Pearl Jam, nor Eddie Vedder, nor folk fan, hate hippies, but love this album from start to finish.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

You may like my band's stuff if you like more out-there kinda artsy stuff. It's more electronic though, less guitar and drums (although our older stuff is more guitar & real drums). That usually deters a lot of new listeners, not everyone loves synths and synth drums. I show people that don't dig that stuff the older stuff first. But the album as a whole was a very conscious effort, meant to be listened to straight-thru.
http://www.thedefog.com/shadow/The_Defog-The_Shadow_Companion.zip

I love this album! It's going into rotation for sure. I'll probably buy some CDs...great stuff.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I love this album! It's going into rotation for sure. I'll probably buy some CDs...great stuff.

Thanks man. Don't waste your money, just share the love. That's why we have that stuff up there non-password protected now. I'd rather have everyone hear it than make a single cent. We just do what we love to do, if other people like it, added bonus.

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Thanks man. Don't waste your money, just share the love. That's why we have that stuff up there non-password protected now. I'd rather have everyone hear it than make a single cent. We just do what we love to do, if other people like it, added bonus.

I was gettin' ready to listen to it already before I read this, but good on you brother!

#316 4 years ago

Wow, that was really good. That's gonna get listened to a lot here. Have to check out your other stuff when I can. I recently came indoors and now have a job where I can have my headphones on most of the time so the music fiend in me is on a rampage.

#317 4 years ago

Thanks guys, hearing stuff like this just makes me wanna keep writing, making music.

#318 4 years ago

Well, after a few days and probably a dozen listens I'm hooked. Have a different take on Pink Floyd now, that's for sure.

Can see what you guys were talking about re flow and great songs. Even my 7yr old girl loves the start of Money...lol, started singing along to it where she can!!

What other albums of there's should I look at?!

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Well, after a few days and probably a dozen listens I'm hooked. Have a different take on Pink Floyd now, that's for sure.
Can see what you guys were talking about re flow and great songs. Even my 7yr old girl loves the start of Money...lol, started singing along to it where she can!!

Now that you have Dark Side of the Moon you will want to follow it up with in this order....

Wish You Were Here
Animals
Meddle
The Wall
and then everything else...

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

The Division Bell
Meddle
Wish You Were Here

Whichever one of those you like the best will determine the next list. =) Don't forget Roger's solo stuff...

Roger_Waters_Pros_Cons_HH.jpg

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Maybe not perfect, but this is the most creative and artistic album I've heard. Not a bad song in it.

MM - The Moon and Antarctica.PNG (Click image to enlarge)

Swamp, I gave this the Amazon preview test and blah, didn't like it at all. You know, I grew up on Led Zep, Van Halen, AeroSmith, etc. But these days I'm much more inclined to listen to something like this(yes, I am 50 and enjoy, Dub Step and Electronic Dance Music quite a bit, especially on ear buds while playing pinball)!

zomboy.jpg
#322 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

(yes, I am 50 and enjoy, Dub Step and Electronic Dance Music quite a bit, especially on ear buds while playing pinball)!

The soundtrack from the indie game Fez is pretty awesome:
http://music.disasterpeace.com/album/fez-ost

#323 4 years ago

Petra_Never_Say_Die.jpg

Same label?

#324 4 years ago

All the albums by Porcupine Tree and Gomez, two current UK bands that I love. Just my opinion.

glwts

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

All the albums by Porcupine Tree and Gomez, two current UK bands that I love. Just my opinion.
glwts

I love Porcupine Tree, love all of it. From Voyage 34 to the last one, The Incident. Obviously Wilson drove it 95%, but the variety, complexity, and quality of the songwriting and musical ability of the band is second to none in this modern age. Deadwing is a masterpiece, as are Stupid Dream and Lightblub Sun. Starting to get them all on vinyl and they sound every better. Can't find Deadwing on vinyl though....bummer.

However, we have to consider them as no longer a current band as Wilson has moved on. If you haven't already, check out Blackfield's first three albums where Wilson also was involved. The songs are shorter, but they have the same style. Blackfield II is a perfect album.

amazon.com link »

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I love Porcupine Tree, love all of it. From Voyage 34 to the last one, The Incident. Obviously Wilson drove it 95%, but the variety, complexity, and quality of the songwriting and musical ability of the band is second to none in this modern age. Deadwing is a masterpiece, as are Stupid Dream and Lightblub Sun. Starting to get them all on vinyl and they sound every better. Can't find Deadwing on vinyl though....bummer.
However, we have to consider them as no longer a current band as Wilson has moved on. If you haven't already, check out Blackfield's first three albums where Wilson teamed up with Aviv Geffin. The songs are shorter (most are of a depressing nature), but they have the same style. Blackfield II is a perfect album.
amazon.com link »

#327 4 years ago

Every household should have a copy of The Wall in it.

#328 4 years ago

Methos, Last time I saw them live (billed as Steve Wilson), it was the Porcupine Tree band, and he even joked about it. Steve is still putting out albums, touring, and I think he is a genius.
Rock on Steve.

Have all the Blackfield albums, and some of his No-Man albums.

Couple of vinyl Deadwing albums on epay....big dollars though. I'll check with the guys I know who sell vinyl.

Glad someone else is hip to this more or less unknown band.

#329 4 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

All the albums by Porcupine Tree and Gomez, two current UK bands that I love.

Local record store owner turned me on to Porcupine Tree somewhere around Downstair/Sky Moves Sideways, been a fan ever since. Have you checked out Neal Morse (Spock's Beard) and his band's (which includes Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater) new album, The Grand Experiment? I've been enjoying it lately when I'm in the mood for something cheery and uplifting (Ghost BC when I'm not) --

Haven't listened to Gomez much but have loved what I've heard. I'll add them to the rotation. I was out in the field for the past decade but recently came inside and one of the perks is that my Grados are on my head all day unless the phone rings.

#330 4 years ago

Have all the Spocks Beard albums, but not this new one.
emkay, thanks for the heads up.

#331 4 years ago

Theshinsohinvertedworld.jpg

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Local record store owner turned me on to Porcupine Tree somewhere around Downstair/Sky Moves Sideways, been a fan ever since. Have you checked out Neal Morse (Spock's Beard) and his band's (which includes Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater) new album, The Grand Experiment? I've been enjoying it lately when I'm in the mood for something cheery and uplifting (Ghost BC when I'm not) -- » YouTube video
Haven't listened to Gomez much but have loved what I've heard. I'll add them to the rotation. I was out in the field for the past decade but recently came inside and one of the perks is that my Grados are on my head all day unless the phone rings.

Thanks for the link. That is good stuff. Reminds me slightly of the stuff Yes did in the 80's. Is Neal Morse any relation to Steve Morse?

#333 4 years ago

No mention of Neil Young, Harvest? Such a perfect album!

#334 4 years ago

TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg

#335 4 years ago

appetite for destruction.

#336 4 years ago

After watching the Cobain Doco (which you guys alerted me too!! THANKS!!!) back on In Utero....great album. Almost as good as Nevermind. I just can't go past Nevermind at the moment.

PS: For those who haven't go see Montage of Heck!!! F**kin amazing!!

#337 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

After watching the Cobain Doco (which you guys alerted me too!! THANKS!!!) back on In Utero....great album. Almost as good as Nevermind. I just can't go past Nevermind at the moment.
PS: For those who haven't go see Montage of Heck!!! F**kin amazing!!

The documentary is good, it paints Kurt properly. Only crappy thing about the documentary is dumb-ass Courtney Love.

In case you're wondering why there is no Dave in the documentary while watching, as part of the deal for her to include the home video and her interview part, she said no Dave Grohl allowed in the film. They filmed Grohl's interview too. She's what, 50 now, and still hasn't grown up, and is still ugly both outside and in.

The production studio made up this lie to cover Love about how his interview was redundant info, and didn't add anything, which is why they didn't use it. What a piece of crap she is. Her band sucks, her writing sucks, and her only relevant songs were written and produced by Billy Corgan.

#338 4 years ago

Give Lingua Mortis Orchestra (self titled) a crack, a truly awesome album. Metal with orchestra elements and a bloke with a dodgy, gruff singing voice mixed with a chick with an operatic voice. LOVE IT!!

#339 4 years ago

Black sabbath - paranoid

#340 4 years ago

If only to show I do not listen to classical music only:

Ministry - "Psalm 69" first, "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste" as a close second.

with a few sonata from Scarlatti in between

#341 4 years ago

Jesus built my hotrod.

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks for the link. That is good stuff. Reminds me slightly of the stuff Yes did in the 80's. Is Neal Morse any relation to Steve Morse?

nope, but you're not the first to ask. they did do a project together though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Colors_(band)

#343 4 years ago

Queens of the Stone Age, Lullabies To Paralyze and Songs for The Deaf

and I know I'm gonna take shit for this one, but it's a great album:

Hole, Celebrity Skin

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Queens of the Stone Age, Lullabies To Paralyze and Songs for The Deaf
and I know I'm gonna take shit for this one, but it's a great album:
Hole, Celebrity Skin

Are you a Pumpkin's fan at all? Most people like that album for a reason, Courtney Love didn't write it, despite her 40/40% split with Corgan on the credits, along with their guitarist 20%. When you have an uneven royalty split like that, you know how things are really functioning behind the scenes.

It is no secret Corgan was seeing her, even while Kurt was still alive (he had already filed for a divorce), and Corgan wrote and produced most of that album, as well as other songs, for her while they were dating and together for several years.

You can hear really distinct trademark Pumpkins/Corgan-style choruses and verses in those songs. Remove Love's voice and replace with Corgan's mentally and in some instances, it is a straight-up Pumpkin's song. And he is such a control freak, there is no way in hell he didn't do a lot of it himself. I'd be willing to bet he even recorded a lot of the instruments, but didn't list himself on the credits, like on Siamese Dream.

Nothing wrong with liking that album though, even if you aren't a pumpkins fan. Billy Corgan sucks singing live, and in honestly, I always looked past his singing on albums cause the music was good, his voice is grating to me. His mixing of his vocals in a similar manner to My Bloody Valentine and use of a dynamic microphone instead of a traditional condenser for vocals certainly helped the recordings to highlight the music.

BTW, QofSA, great album there. Under-rated band.

#345 4 years ago

Some of my more obscure favorites:

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
Eric Clapton - Another Ticket

As far as live albums, it doesn't get any better than The Last Waltz.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Are you a Pumpkin's fan at all?

I dig many songs by Smashing Pumpkins (esp. Bullet w/Butterfly Wings) but I wouldn't call them one of my favorite bands. And oddly, while I think Celebrity Skin is a great album, I'm not a fan of anything else by Hole or Courtney Love. I'll have to give C.S. a listen in my head and replace Love's voice with Corgan's.

#347 4 years ago

Your new favorite band!

Clutch.jpg
#348 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I dig many songs by Smashing Pumpkins (esp. Bullet w/Butterfly Wings) but I wouldn't call them one of my favorite bands. And oddly, while I think Celebrity Skin is a great album, I'm not a fan of anything else by Hole or Courtney Love. I'll have to give C.S. a listen in my head and replace Love's voice with Corgan's.

Songs like Celebrity Skin & Malibu are Pumpkins 100%.

That was the first Pumpkins song that I could think of that has similarities, but I can probably find a ton more. Malibu has close similarities to 1979 and a number of other sans distortion tracks of theirs.
(Funny note: I wonder if Grandma's Boy got the idea for JP's clothes from Billy Corgan).

#349 4 years ago

Grandma's Boy is without question my fav comedy movie out there.

1 week later
#350 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Every household should have a copy of The Wall in it.

I have it on vinyl, cd and cassette. That's pretty messed up right there...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
$ 259.99
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 149.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 15.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 299.00
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 209.99
$ 9,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 15.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Wheezer
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside