4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 94 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
blood-ceremony-lord-of-misrule_(resized).jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
cover_masterofpuppets_lg.jpg
Speakenglish.jpg
Bing-Crosby-Merry-Christmas-Wallpapers-3.jpg
Slaughter_of_the_Soul.jpg
1341.jpg
repeater-4fbcd9269a18b.jpg
population_override.jpg
shvl-795-front.jpg
Zappa_Roxy__Elsewhere.jpg
roxy_and_elsewhere.jpg
Clutch-Psychic-Warefare-Cover-300x300.jpg

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 4 years ago

Bob Marley's Legend
bobmlegend.jpg

#52 4 years ago

There are just so many.

Personal faves-Gish and Siamese Dream from smashing pumpkins. 2 perfect albums.

Janes addiction, nothing shocking.

Physical graffiti

Wall

Master of puppets and ride the lightning.

At budokan cheap trick

There are 50 more...

#53 4 years ago

Frogstomp - Silverchair

Any of ACDC's albums with Bon up front .

#54 4 years ago

Def Leppard Pyromania. Ac/DC High Voltage and Back in Black. Pearl Jame Ten. Stone Temple Pilots Core. Danzig 2. Metallica Master of Puppets. Huey Lewis and the News Sports. A Perfect Circle The 13th Step

#55 4 years ago
original_449.jpg
#56 4 years ago

Pearl Jam Ten

#57 4 years ago

Wu-Tang Clan-Enter The 36 Chambers
Pink Floyd-The Wall-Animals
Metallica-Death Magnetic

#58 4 years ago

Such a shame that the art of album design is dying. A lot of bands now openly admit they just aim to keep pumping singles out. A good album runs like a concert, with the whole show-runner idea behind it. And it's a good distinction too. Not just what's your favourite album, but what album really captured best the art of the symphony-like construction with songs representing movements, rather than just bolted together songs.

My vote, whether you like the music or not, is Songs From The Wood: Jethro Tull. Flawless construction.

#59 4 years ago

Another vote for:
U2-The Joshua Tree
And
NIN-Pretty Hate Machine
I'd also add The Downward Spiral as well

Oh, and for "flow"...nothing beats either of the first two Enigma albums

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

To me, this is one the the most perfect albums I have listened to and own. Not in composition or any type of bullshit like that, but the ability to have one song after another just flow perfectly into the next. The songs, the tunes, the ability to not have me flick past a song to get to the next and able to scream along with Kirt, hell yeah.......love the album and would rank it up with my very favourite.
What say you? Agree? Have your own personal favourite?

It is up there for sure. Nirvana's gift to music was more importantly brutal honesty, much like the punk scene, something that has been seriously lacking in all popular music as of late, it was a breath of fresh air for sure. They struck a nerve with people used to listening to pop music, but unfamiliar with the underground scenes, they made it accessible to all. Kurt's lyrics were raw and open, he was an open book emotionally. As much as the album flows together, that has more to do with the single-faceted writing style of Kurt in conjunction with higher level production normally not reserved for bands like Nirvana (Butch Vig & Andy Wallace). Green Day's Dookie has the same "flow" as do Ramones albums and Weezer's Blue album and Pinkerton. In no way am I taking a pot shot at any of them (although not a Green Day Fan), but when you write very similar sounding and stylized songs, they're obviously going to have good cohesion.

Pink Floyd is a band that evolved constantly, but still managed to do this with just about every album. Beach Boys did this, Stevie Wonder as well. They had some that were obviously more successful than others, but they went into the studio with the mindset of recording a cohesive album each time, sometimes with the use of segues for added flow.

#61 4 years ago

The Clash Sandinista

#62 4 years ago

DMB- Under the table and dreaming and Crash albums

#63 4 years ago

This is a tough thread because there were so many great albums. More than a many. There were plenty before any of our time. The Beatles were the most important band in recent or not so recent times with most of their albums far above any of the rest.

If there was one album by a single artist that had as much effect on the future of music as any other, I would go with this one.
Experienced.jpeg

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Alice in Chain's Dirt

Great choice. Every song has something to offer.

I'm a prog fan first and foremost, so with that gene in mind I go with

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Marillion - Marbles
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Blackfield 2
The Moody Blues - To our Children's Children's Children
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Queen - Innuendo

#65 4 years ago

double post

#66 4 years ago

triple post

#67 4 years ago

For ' Grunge Rock ' I would agree that Kurt was write up there.
Sound Garden
Alice and Chains
For classic Rock 'The Grateful Dead ' any of there songs . Terrapin Station , goose bumps guaranteed

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

MOTORHEAD-Ace of Spades
WIRE-Pink flag
POGUES-Rum Sodomy and the Lash
KRAFTWERK-Computer World
PINK FLOYD-Dark Side of the Moon
MISFITS Walk-Among Us / Earth A.D.
NAKED RAYGUN-Throb,Throb/ Basement Screams
BIG BLACK-Earth, Atomizer, Let's Go!

Had to give you a thumbs up for including Kraftwerk-Computer World. So awesome to listen to!

#69 4 years ago

A lot of greats already mentioned. I could listen to the following albums front to back with zero >>|

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Ween: The Mollusk
Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Mr. Bungle: California
Clutch: Blast Tyrant
Beck: Sea Change
Beatles: Revolver
Melvins: Stoner Witch
Air: Moon Safari

#70 4 years ago

#71 4 years ago

My two favorite start to end are Megadeth's Rust in Peace and Faith No More's The Real Thing

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from thePLAyNone:

My two favorite start to end are Megadeth's Rust in Peace and Faith No More's The Real Thing

Real Thing is a great album, but I would rate Angle Dust a bit higher.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Real Thing is a great album, but I would rate Angle Dust a bit higher.

Now you guys have me thinking of
Mr. Bungle - California

MrBungle-California.jpg

#74 4 years ago

And another album that is not to be F'd with:

John Zorn - Naked City

A friggin ADD tour de force - 100% pure awesomeness

John_Zorn-Naked_City_(album_cover).jpg
#75 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

It is up there for sure. Nirvana's gift to music was more importantly brutal honesty, much like the punk scene, something that has been seriously lacking in all popular music as of late, it was a breath of fresh air for sure. They struck a nerve with people used to listening to pop music, but unfamiliar with the underground scenes, they made it accessible to all. Kurt's lyrics were raw and open, he was an open book emotionally. As much as the album flows together, that has more to do with the single-faceted writing style of Kurt in conjunction with higher level production normally not reserved for bands like Nirvana (Butch Vig & Andy Wallace). Green Day's Dookie has the same "flow" as do Ramones albums and Weezer's Blue album and Pinkerton. In no way am I taking a pot shot at any of them (although not a Green Day Fan), but when you write very similar sounding and stylized songs, they're obviously going to have good cohesion.
Pink Floyd is a band that evolved constantly, but still managed to do this with just about every album. Beach Boys did this, Stevie Wonder as well. They had some that were obviously more successful than others, but they went into the studio with the mindset of recording a cohesive album each time, sometimes with the use of segues for added flow.

Expertly put....I'll never forget buying that album for as long as I live. I was visiting my Grandmother in Queesnland and was wondering around. Dropped into the local music shop and saw the cover. Wondered what is was all about so grabbed it...honestly the minute I listened to it I didn't put it down that while holiday. Spent all its time in my portable CD player.

Also bought there EP - Hormoning, Australian '92 Tour. Aparrantly pretty rare!

As for the music, really did hit my soul while listening to it. Not sure another band has had that same sort of impact on me. Always thought that they were the Beatles of our time?? Exploded onto the music scene, created something new from the region they were from and impacted many artists moving forward, always felt like they dissapeared way to quick.

#76 4 years ago

JH, Electric Ladyland
Wishbone Ash, Argus
Mountain, Climbing
JA, Surrealistic Pillow
Blue Cheer, Inside/Outside
Spirit, 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
Roxy Music, Avalon

#77 4 years ago

Bad Brains
Morrison Hotel.

#78 4 years ago

For me, Guster's "Lost and Gone Forever" is one of the best, with the most consistent quality. There's only one song out of the 11 I don't really like.

#79 4 years ago

Jayhawker...where you been ? Now Ive gotta go listen to this album.
Will let you know via thumbs up or thumbs down.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Jayhawker...where you been ? Now Ive gotta go listen to this album.
Will let you know via thumbs up or thumbs down.

It's free on Amazon Prime if you happen to have that. Not sure if it's your style or not.

#81 4 years ago

Queenryche's Operation Mindcrime was the perfect rock album of the late 80's, even despite how strong Empire was.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Jayhawker...where you been ?

I just pop in for the JPop and SkitB s**tshows.

#83 4 years ago

Listening to WY's own Teenage Bottle Rocket...(Canea fucking rocks).

#85 4 years ago

Oh yea, Add Queenryche Empire to my list. that album is flawless.

#86 4 years ago

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Sitting here on a Saturday night watching a Top 100 countdown of the best Rock Anthems (Max) got me thinking....No.3 was Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nevermind album ).
To me, this is one the the most perfect albums I have listened to and own. Not in composition or any type of bullshit like that, but the ability to have one song after another just flow perfectly into the next. The songs, the tunes, the ability to not have me flick past a song to get to the next and able to scream along with Kirt, hell yeah.......love the album and would rank it up with my very favourite.
What say you? Agree? Have your own personal favourite?
-just for reference sake, AC/DC came in second with Long way to the Top
- 1st place was GnR with Sweet Child....

As soon as I read the title, Nevermind was the first album that came to mind.

My second choice personally was Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson. Both favourites of mine from late high school when music was everything to me.

#88 4 years ago

2nd song, after Freak Out, and almost the perfect song :

#89 4 years ago

+1 for Boston

Honorable mentions
Appetite for Destruction
Pyromania
Highway to Hell/Back in Black(tie)

#90 4 years ago

Alice in chains self titled album (3 legged dog)
Toadies "Rubberneck"
Radiohead "The Bends"
Nirvana "Inutero"

#91 4 years ago

Tesla "The Great Radio Controversy"
Boston
AC/DC "Back in Black"
Cry of Love "Brother"
The Scream "Let it Scream"
Thunder "Laughing on Judgement Day"

MI0002026641.jpg

#92 4 years ago

Pearl Jam - Ten
Soundgarden - Super Unknown
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
Far - Water and Solutions
Thrice - Vheissu
Our Lady Peace - Happiness is Not A Fish You Can Catch
Radiohead - OK Computer
Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

#93 4 years ago

No perfect album.
No perfect pinball machine.
---
Let's hear about a GREAT (near-perfect in your ears) album that wasn't in the top-100 list on VH1 or whatever... That's a bit more interesting query...
-mof

#94 4 years ago

This was a very thought provoking question!

The album I thought of that I have listened to most recently is Murder By Death's "Good Morning Magpie". It keeps me engaged every single time I listen to it, and the themes from song to song flow perfectly.

The first album that popped in to my head was Weezer's "Blue Album".

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

No perfect album.
No perfect pinball machine.
---
Let's hear about a GREAT (near-perfect in your ears) album that wasn't in the top-100 list on VH1 or whatever... That's a bit more interesting query...
-mof

My thread, my question besides, seems a whole lot of ppl see to have the same thought process as me, in that there is a best album based on what they feel....

It wasn't a Top 100 album, it was a rock countdown which got me thinking about my best album!

Appreciate your input however....I think....lol.

#96 4 years ago

Nirvanas nevermind is amazing…

Just watched the Kurt Cobain documentary Montage of Heck last night...
Poor guy.

#97 4 years ago

The Clash (self titled album) and Give 'em Enough Rope
Tommy
Circus Animals by Cold Chisel
Milo Goes To College by Descendents
Dude Ranch by Blink 182 (yeah, I know)

Interesting, I'd never really thought about great albums in terms of no skip-over tracks before. I'd have Ten, The Colour And The Shape and 21st Century Breakdown in my top 10 albums, but all contain tracks I usually skip.

#98 4 years ago

Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman. Megadeth Peace Sells.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Crystal Method's Vegas

Crystal Method is awesome. Saw them play a show in Lake Tahoe a handful of years back.

Dark side of the moon hands down. Followed closely by Bob Marley Babelon by Bus

#100 4 years ago

These albums are pretty good and were quite popular in the late '60's....

Note on the photo what is playing on the car stereo and what is in the background. Yes, that is San Quentin Prison....

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.jpg
Johnny_Cash_At_San_Quentin.jpg
At San Quentin.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
£ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 22.50
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 20.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside