(Topic ID: 102067)

The Peak of Pinball?

By KingNine

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2Snaps_3.gif
    2Snaps_7.gif
    2Snaps_5.gif
    2Snaps_4.gif
    2Snaps_2.gif
    2Snaps_1.gif
    1191_minecraft_posters_computronic.jpg
    minecraft-download-skinsminecraft-skins-download-free-minecraft-skinsdownload-minecrafts-eikdxxzz.jpg
    lego-sculpture-nathan-sawayas-adn.jpg
    minecraft.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Both are tied to nostalgia obviously, but the restoration crowd bubble will pop in less than 10 years, as the supply is drying up and there is zero demand by the current 20-somethings to own or restore a Pinbot or a Funhouse.

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I couldn't disagree more. I have friends in their 30's who love older games, and my 15-year-old son enjoys the 80's pins as much as the DMDs. Since the supply of 80's pins is capped at the current supply, I think the restoration of these games will still be booming in 10 years.

Using myself as an example: I was born in 1964, and I'm mostly interested in games from '73-'90. Even if people my age stop collecting when we turn 60 (doubtful), the 70's EM restoration business still has another 10 years to run. Now apply that logic to 80's pins, and I think another 20 years would be realistic. You also have to account for the fact that new grads can't afford to buy new pins. Will the B/W 90's B-list games take the place of 80's games as "starter" pins for young folks? Maybe, but if system 11 prices sag, I'll be scooping them up with both hands.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'd kill for a FH. I LOVE that game.

Great example, and here's a funny story: my 43-year-old non-pinball buddy asked me a few days ago if $6k was too much for a FH. I quickly set him straight - no more than $3k unless it's really nice. But it illustrates the fact that people like great games, whether they're brand new or 25 years old.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

What arcades?
    What leagues?
    What pinball shows?
    There is only one pinball show in Australia per year
    I do visit oother pinball friends, but gatherings happen rarely

Four years ago, there were no leagues, tournaments or shows in GA. It was fewer than 10 people that made all of those things come to pass. And before that, there were just a few of us who would open our houses to strangers. It's pretty remarkable how few people it takes to spark a revolution. Anyway, if we can make all of those things happen in Georgia, I know that you guys can make them happen in Australia.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Sadly where I live I know there are two other collectors like me
    I have not met either of them nor do they use either of the two Australianpinball forums
    I did try to have a meet years ago, only oone guy turned up>

I keep forgetting that Australia is a huge country. It would be like spreading the Georgia pin collector population over the entire US continent and expecting them to get together.

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I can't really put a number on it, but I venture to say way more people play/buy EMs, older solid states, even 90s Bally Williams games, and could care less or understand what this terminology even means ("LE" "MMr" etc...)
    There is a lot of pinball community/collectors/players that cannot simply relate to, or understand, the few paragraphs you posted here. The things you are saying are really a non-factor to folks like me, collecting 1980s games and playing a few pins in the wild at barcades. While you and a few others might understand what you posted, I think very little of what you said can be assumed to be the "pulse" of the entire pinball community.
    Repost your post in the EM sub forum and you are likely to get crickets, yet those folks tinkering with $300, 30+ year old games are still a huge part of what makes the pinball hobby go 'round.
    Hope I made some sense there.

I'm picking up my 20th pin tonight, a $300 project Stern Trident. I can honestly say I'm as excited as I was when I ordered Metallica.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-peak-of-pinball?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.