(Topic ID: 102067)

The Peak of Pinball?

By KingNine

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2Snaps_3.gif
    2Snaps_7.gif
    2Snaps_5.gif
    2Snaps_4.gif
    2Snaps_2.gif
    2Snaps_1.gif
    1191_minecraft_posters_computronic.jpg
    minecraft-download-skinsminecraft-skins-download-free-minecraft-skinsdownload-minecrafts-eikdxxzz.jpg
    lego-sculpture-nathan-sawayas-adn.jpg
    minecraft.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.jpg
    There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago

It is a weird market bubble right now. There is the restoration/nostalgia crowd and the new pin crowd. Both are tied to nostalgia obviously, but the restoration crowd bubble will pop in less than 10 years, as the supply is drying up and there is zero demand by the current 20-somethings to own or restore a Pinbot or a Funhouse. Sure they're having fun in barcades, but there is a certain hip factor to that and it won't last like it would if they had grown up with them. If they played anything growing up, it was late 90's and early 2000's games, and not many arcades still cared about pinball at that point. They're also not all beat to shit like 80's/90's games are. When they finally have the $$$ to own something expensive, it won't be a pinball machine.

Let's just face reality, this is a bubble, but a nice one. Enjoy it! Have fun at the tournaments if you're into that. Just be reasonable about the value of the items you own, they're not going to appreciate in value. If I cared only about the cash value of what I owned, I'd sell all of my machines right now. I know that in 10 years, they'll probably be worth 1/2 or less of what I paid for them.

#52 9 years ago

Products need to become cheaper to expand the market. Pinball only becomes more expensive.

There also needs to be a completely out of left field theme like Angry Birds or Minecraft to really find new fans.

#53 9 years ago

Yes we have Stern, JJP and some small companies and the internet and other resources not available in some eras including the internet. Yes there is more information, forums, and networking in this hobby than at most times past. However, prices for new games and really nice condition "A" and some "B" level used games has gone really expensive and some have left fr those and other reasons.

Until recently, all we had was Stern in the past 15 years making pins. I'm not bashing Stern at all, it's much thanks to that company and to Gary Stern that we have had pins to look forward to since B/W and Gottlieb closed in the 90's. I'm so glad that company has survived in an age when no was else was making pins. Stern, JJP, and the other companies starting up give us topics to talk about and new pins.

HOWEVER, my worry as I've stated elsewhere, is do you think the current generations of kids when they become adults will be playing, buying, and collecting pins? I'm sad to say, I don't see it happening, much as I wish to. The difficult question is, if today's pinball world is somewhat golden, what will it be like in the next generation or two?

#54 9 years ago

What arcades?
    What leagues?
    What pinball shows?
    There is only one pinball show in Australia per year
    I do visit oother pinball friends, but gatherings happen rarely

Quoted from phishrace:.
    The current small 'resurgence' is mostly from home buyers (collectors). For 70+ years in this country, pinball was a social activity. Now, playing alone in your basement and posting to pinside is considered social activity.
    If you feel so strongly that pinball hasn't peaked, what are you doing to continue the growth? Do you play on location regularly? Play in a league? Do you attend more than one show a year and bring games to the shows? Do you operate any games? You have a relatively large collection. Do you have company over regularly to play the games? Before you start questioning others opinions, you need to let us know what you're doing for the hobby.
    There isn't enough wealth in this country to continue the growth on the collector side. Not enough households that can afford $4500+ toys in the home. That surge is over. There is plenty of room for the hobby to grow among non-collectors. That's where the future of the hobby lies. So how are you going to help?

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

there is zero demand by the current 20-somethings to own or restore a Pinbot or a Funhouse. Sure they're having fun in barcades, but there is a certain hip factor to that and it won't last like it would if they had grown up with them. .

I'd kill for a FH. I LOVE that game. Just because I didn't play them when they were brand new in the early 90s doesn't mean I can't start developing a nostalgic feeling for the game in my 20s. Never played Pinbot, though I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

but I don't. I think it's a bad assumption. 2 years ago I had zero dollars in pinball. now I'm pushing $20k. why should we assume the available dollars are static when participation in events and tournaments is on the rise?

I hear what you are saying, 2 or 3 years ago the base was growing, in decent numbers, including us.

I just don't see it today, in large part due to the huge increase in pricing during that time. I paid $5200 for a Lotr Le back in 2011, NIB. Now that same pin with upgraded lighting would be sold today by Stern for at least $7500?

There is no catalyst or driving force to make the numbers grow. Certainly not tournaments and shows. The other issue for me about adding any more pins is that you have to keep them working! Working on two pins versus a dozen makes a big difference.

Jack thought he would sell thousands of Woz pins back in the beginning. It's not Ac/dc and doesn't cater to everybody.

Stern thought there was 799 STLE's to sell through to the end user. There wasn't. Now they are looking at 500 TWD LE's. That tells you all you need to know right there.

The demand is simply not increasing and you still have the huge hurdle of overseas sales at the much higher prices. I just don't see it happening.

Does anybody really think that these guys can keep pumping out LE's and premiums at these prices and people will keep gobbling them up. No way that happens. Wait until MMr, TH, TBL etc. actually filter into the market.

JJP has made a huge investment in overhead that they have to recoup. Stern is about to move into a new high dollar facility.

Pinball is getting a lot more expensive, not cheaper. Like Ben said, you need cheaper to grow. How does a $5200 LE sound? Dreaming.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Products need to become cheaper to expand the market. Pinball only becomes more expensive.
    There also needs to be a completely out of left field theme like Angry Birds or Minecraft to really find new fans.

I just wrote a letter to Stern yesterday advocating a Minecraft theme. It is a theme that crosses generations as I am 46 and love to play it. It has sold over 54 million, yes 54 million, copies world wide and isn't even close to hitting full saturation yet. I did tell them in my letter that I felt it is a theme that would truly benifit from a monitor in the back glass as you could see your character building or mining ect as you made shots.

#58 9 years ago

The majority of kids out there have little or no interest in pinball at all, sad but true...this hobby will die a slow death with this generation.

#59 9 years ago

I disagree that we (the 30 to 40 year olds) are the last pinball generation. I'm involved in a few leagues and there is a slow but steady influx of the younger crowd getting into pinball. From the early 20s professionals who discovered it through Pinball Arcade (quite a few of them), to the teens and even a number under the age of 10 who are now competing here in Australia. Additionally, look at PAPA and IFPA with the young guys coming in and competing at the top level.

Will it explode and become a huge thing again? Probably not. But the doom and gloom stories of pinball fading away to nothing with the 'old guys' is flat out not going to happen. The evidence is all around us.

#60 9 years ago

It will need a massive change of attitude amongst the kids to sway them to become future pinball owners.
    Every kids party we have had we have always had the pins running, sure the kids play them for a bit and it's a bit of a novelty but they don't last long and are all soon back to the xbox , playstation or other activities.
    The adults are a different story, can't get them off them.

Put it this way, if I told my kids I was selling my pins and not buying anymore they would shrug the shoulders and couldn't care less but if I told them I was selling the xbox, playstation, pc games, etc to help fund a future pin and that the consoles would not be replaced.....well all hell would break loose!

#61 9 years ago

Lol, nailed it!

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

I just wrote a letter to Stern yesterday advocating a Minecraft theme.

…and I'm happy that they will ignore you.

Minecraft is the ugliest visual vomit I've seen in gaming….there are more appealing all-ages themes to base a pinball machine on.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Both are tied to nostalgia obviously, but the restoration crowd bubble will pop in less than 10 years, as the supply is drying up and there is zero demand by the current 20-somethings to own or restore a Pinbot or a Funhouse.

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I couldn't disagree more. I have friends in their 30's who love older games, and my 15-year-old son enjoys the 80's pins as much as the DMDs. Since the supply of 80's pins is capped at the current supply, I think the restoration of these games will still be booming in 10 years.

Using myself as an example: I was born in 1964, and I'm mostly interested in games from '73-'90. Even if people my age stop collecting when we turn 60 (doubtful), the 70's EM restoration business still has another 10 years to run. Now apply that logic to 80's pins, and I think another 20 years would be realistic. You also have to account for the fact that new grads can't afford to buy new pins. Will the B/W 90's B-list games take the place of 80's games as "starter" pins for young folks? Maybe, but if system 11 prices sag, I'll be scooping them up with both hands.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You also have to account for the fact that new grads can't afford to buy new pins.

Yep. It sucks. I'll get there eventually.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'd kill for a FH. I LOVE that game.

Great example, and here's a funny story: my 43-year-old non-pinball buddy asked me a few days ago if $6k was too much for a FH. I quickly set him straight - no more than $3k unless it's really nice. But it illustrates the fact that people like great games, whether they're brand new or 25 years old.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

What arcades?
    What leagues?
    What pinball shows?

Four years ago, there were no leagues, tournaments or shows in GA. It was fewer than 10 people that made all of those things come to pass. And before that, there were just a few of us who would open our houses to strangers. It's pretty remarkable how few people it takes to spark a revolution. Anyway, if we can make all of those things happen in Georgia, I know that you guys can make them happen in Australia.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

It will need a massive change of attitude amongst the kids to sway them to become future pinball owners.
    Every kids party we have had we have always had the pins running, sure the kids play them for a bit and it's a bit of a novelty but they don't last long and are all soon back to the xbox , playstation or other activities.
    The adults are a different story, can't get them off them.
    Put it this way, if I told my kids I was selling my pins and not buying anymore they would shrug the shoulders and couldn't care less but if I told them I was selling the xbox, playstation, pc games, etc to help fund a future pin and that the consoles would not be replaced.....well all hell would break loose!

Us 40 somethings are the 1st real video game generation. I grew up playing with the first pong systems and have owned almost every major console system since Atari. I got into pinball because my father bought one when I was a kid. Did I play it all the time? No. Did my friends and I play it when they came over? Maybe for a short time but that was it. Pinball was at the arcade I played at but I was busy playing Space Invaders and then Asteroids to Pac Man on to Donkey Kong. But I was exposed to it and that was the important part. The parents and arcade operators back then probably said the same things about my generation that we are saying about this one. Our base is not kids playing a lot but kids needing to be exposed to it. When they grow up they will recognize it as a great game and thier nostalgic perception will kick in. Pinball grows on you as you grow older and start realizing the mystique of the game and how no two are ever the same. The escence of the rules seem so easy - keep the ball in play - but it is endlessly harder than that. Once you try to master it is when it's claws are set and their is no escape.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

…and I'm happy that they will ignore you.
    Minecraft is the ugliest visual vomit I've seen in gaming….there are more appealing all-ages themes to base a pinball machine on.

I'm sorry you feel that way but 54 million people disagree

Edit: You are right that they will ignore me. At least they won't act like they read it or considered it due to their secretive nature.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I couldn't disagree more. I have friends in their 30's who love older games, and my 15-year-old son enjoys the 80's pins as much as the DMDs. Since the supply of 80's pins is capped at the current supply, I think the restoration of these games will still be booming in 10 years.
    Using myself as an example: I was born in 1964, and I'm mostly interested in games from '73-'90. Even if people my age stop collecting when we turn 60 (doubtful), the 70's EM restoration business still has another 10 years to run. Now apply that logic to 80's pins, and I think another 20 years would be realistic. You also have to account for the fact that new grads can't afford to buy new pins. Will the B/W 90's B-list games take the place of 80's games as "starter" pins for young folks? Maybe, but if system 11 prices sag, I'll be scooping them up with both hands.

Thanks for the posts. Your post is right on with the escense of the thread. My 16 year old daughter could careless at the moment but my 12 year old daughter loves pinball and played in our last local tournament. Her and her friends will play our wedge heads some when they come over because they are easy to learn. She likes to play AC/DC when they aren't around. But... she doesn't play all day and retreats to her iphone and ipad after a little bit of playing. The key is the exposure to both of them for me.

#70 9 years ago

I'm not so sure that measuring a kid's interest in pinball now will be a good indication of what their interest in pinball as an adult would be. From childhood up through a few years ago (mid 30s) I spent most of my leisure time either playing video games or sports and the thought of buying a pinball machine had never occurred to me. Now I'm about to buy my 5th machine and I spend far more time playing pinball than I do video games (and half the video game time is Pinball Arcade). People's interests change over time is all I'm saying.

#71 9 years ago

What arcades?
    What leagues?
    What pinball shows?

The first pinball expo is coming up in mid November, are you coming to that? Do a search on Aussie Arcade. I have my ticket, I'm coming over from Adelaide. Newcastle have an event in September, too. There are plenty of IFPA tournaments now running in Australia, these are great meets of 20-30 people. A few years ago there were only a dozen Australians registered with IFPA, now there are more than 600!

On topic, I think the key is to get young people playing, or pinball will die with our generation. I am building a 7 machine collection in my garage I am renovating for this purpose. I plan to get a lot of people over, coach them about basic flipper skills, show them how to play individual machines, and then run some private beginners' tournaments. Most beginners have no idea that you can 'aim' with the flippers, or that pinballs have 'rules'. Once they get a taste for this, they start to get interested.

A mate of mine in his late 30's never played pinball til he started coming over to my place, now he's hooked and he's bought two project machines of his own which he has restored and is coming along to local IFPA tournaments and having a crack.

Pinball is a lot of fun, it just takes a commitment from beginners to keep playing until you get your skills to a level where you start to feel some mastery over the machine and get a sense of accomplishment. The real trouble with machines on route (aside from the fact that many need a decent service to be fun) is that beginners have to pay 75c or a dollar for 2 mins of entertainment. That is prohibitively expensive. Back when I was a kid in the 70s it was 20c a play in Australia, and I could win 3 or 4 credits in a single game. So on 40c pocket money I could get hours of entertainment and develop my skills.

I think The Pinball Arcade has a lot to do with the current resurgence. I hadn't played pinball for 20 years, but TPA on the iPhone got me going again, 18m later I now have 6 machines. Hopefully it will bring in some young ones, too. It is our job as collectors to open up our collections to these new players and get them hooked. And when they get a taste for it, I tell them to download TPA on their phone or tablet or xbox and have some fun. It helps build and reinforce the pinball experience.

#72 9 years ago

8000$ nib machines will be enough stimulus to guarantee pinball growth is near impossible. builders greed and our stupidity paying these prices is to blame. i just hope pinball doesn't price itself into oblivion and choke on its own vomit.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

If you are out there everyday trying to make it happen why are you attacking me when I'm on your side? If you feel you have the right to ask me these questions like I'm some sort of pretender who really doesn't want pinball to succeed shouldn't you be putting your "qualifications" down for all to see as well?

Your message came across as mixed to me. You started well by saying pinball hasn't peaked, then you calmly suggested pinball will never reach it's previous peaks. That's what pushed my button. Why can't it come back even stronger now than it did in the 70's or 90's? If you're going to get on the bandwagon, go all in. Don't say it can only get a little better.

You say it's tough finding games on location in your area. Have you considered putting some of your games out? Beaumont is a big city. If there are only two locations in town, it shouldn't be hard to solicit new ones. Pinball is popular right now, as you've noticed. Operating games is just about the best way to support the hobby. There isn't much more room for growth on the collector side. So if we want to keep the hobby growing, we need to recruit non-owners. I currently have all my games out. Not a single game at home.

Besides operating games for years, I also play on location regularly. I also run my own pin repair business, bring games to shows and tournaments, volunteer for PAGG (a fund raiser for local charities), have helped set up and run tournaments for years, compete in tournaments, have played in the local league regularly and maintain the most games at the local league's primary location. I also help other operators in the area.

Yesterday I helped Rick Stetta setup his cherry 1963 Gottlieb Sweet Hearts in Paul and Harvey's bar in Sunnyvale Cal. I told him he's crazy because he can't set it for more than 25 cents a game (the dime slot is taped closed), but he won't listen. He's an even bigger location nazi than me. Doesn't care about the money, just wants games out there being played. If we're really serious about pinball making a comeback, we need more guys like Rick.

#74 9 years ago

Interesting thread. My two cents:

I think there are two issues here. Pinball as a game and pinball as machines.

Pinball as a game has a much lower barrier of entry than it originally did, due to virtual pinball simulation. Many of my friends (mid-30s) play pinball, but hardly any actually play a real pinball machine. Pinball Arcade, Pinball FX2, various pinball apps, all the PC pinball games (past and present)... these are the venues of The Now. So long as good historic games are translated (a la Pinball Arcade) or new games are created (a la Pinball FX2), there is the opportunity to expose new generations to the game and how it works. Except now, dozens of tables are accessible, and money is almost no object.

Looking at how well Pinball Arcade's Kickstarter efforts have gone to bring back certain licenses, and the continued support Pinball FX2 receives (new generation of consoles just got it, a new table was just released based on Guardians of the Galaxy), the video game world is treating pinball as niche but accessible (there are other video game genres that get far less distribution and exposure than pinball does). There aren't a lot of developers, but those who are active in the field are seen as bringing some of the most accurate pinball physics and design the video game world has ever experienced (of course, opinions vary).

So, as a game, pinball has the means and ability to attract new people into its fandom. I have no idea if it will succeed... maybe if they get it together like the fighting game community, start pushing the use of Twitch and announcers and regular broadcast of major tournaments (I'm seeing more pinball on Twitch now, but it is a drop in the bucket), they could key in on what the younger generation is into on the competitive gaming front.

As machines, however, I think the heyday is gone. Prices were prohibitive for a lot of people even before recent years. Space obviously is another big issue. Coupled with the fact that arcades are also way past their heyday (at least in the U.S.), there's really just not many places where someone could get exposed to multiple pinball machines unless they deliberately sought such a place out. Which is of course unlikely unless they already were interested in pinball.

I think there's a big enough niche market to see a few manufacturers continue to make pinball machines for the foreseeable future. In fact, the game room/rec room demand may be enough to keep at least one player around for a long time, especially if they are past their upfront investment costs and can continue to get away with using the same old technology. But, the ability to attract lots of new, younger people into pinball to the degree that they'll actually spend the money on machines... unlikely.

At best, virtual pinball could become an e-sport. Perhaps, if the similarities are strong enough, players could transition between physical machines and virtual machines, and tournaments could revolve around both. But I think video-game pinball is the only way you're getting any sort of sizable infusion into the game.

Analogy from last week. I was talking to my brother-in-law about a pinball table and noted the seller was asking for $8k. He (someone who actually played these machines in arcades and is fond of the game) immediately said, "I'd rather buy a car." His nostalgia isn't strong enough to overcome the issue of dropping several thousand dollars on one game. I bought him 21 tables in Pinball Arcade that day, thanks to Steam's Labor Day sale I spent $15 on that. If he wants more, he can get the rest of the entire library, at regular price, for less than $60. My cheapest (quasi-)working pinball machine cost me $150 (1950s EM). The math does not favor pinball as a machine, especially when compared to the price of modern gaming options.

Given the shift from arcades to home entertainment, the only way I see pinball machines ever seeing a serious comeback is if some major advances in reduced-cost production occur and dramatically lower prices to the consumer are the result.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

8000$ nib machines will be enough stimulus to guarantee pinball growth is near impossible. builders greed and our stupidity paying these prices is to blame. i just hope pinball doesn't price itself into oblivion and choke on its own vomit.

I do agree that the increasing prices are becoming ridiculous. The market will correct itself eventually as do all markets. When it does correct itself we will probably start seeing more scaled back pinballs that don't have as many toys and gimmicks. I'm ok with that as the game play is what it is all about. Heck it could change in that they make a base model pin that plays on its own merrits and then sell a lot of the toys themselves as aftermarket add ons like in other industries. You could dress up your machine as you see fit and have the money to do so with. It could evolve into marketing where ads scroll on the screen between games or players and you can pay to turn them off or just live with them etc. That is two things that "could" happen and who knows what someone might think of. There are tons of possible scenarious and paths this hobby can take. To declare it dying while it is quite obviously not is wrong at this juncture IMO.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

There is no need for such vitriol. There are tons of affordable machines out there. The NiB LEs are not the only games in the world.

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Your message came across as mixed to me. You started well by saying pinball hasn't peaked, then you calmly suggested pinball will never reach it's previous peaks. That's what pushed my button. Why can't it come back even stronger now than it did in the 70's or 90's? If you're going to get on the bandwagon, go all in. Don't say it can only get a little better.
    You say it's tough finding games on location in your area. Have you considered putting some of your games out? Beaumont is a big city. If there are only two locations in town, it shouldn't be hard to solicit new ones. Pinball is popular right now, as you've noticed. Operating games is just about the best way to support the hobby. There isn't much more room for growth on the collector side. So if we want to keep the hobby growing, we need to recruit non-owners. I currently have all my games out. Not a single game at home.
    Besides operating games for years, I also play on location regularly. I also run my own pin repair business, bring games to shows and tournaments, volunteer for PAGG (a fund raiser for local charities), have helped set up and run tournaments for years, compete in tournaments, have played in the local league regularly and maintain the most games at the local league's primary location. I also help other operators in the area.
    Yesterday I helped Rick Stetta setup his cherry 1963 Gottlieb Sweet Hearts in Paul and Harvey's bar in Sunnyvale Cal. I told him he's crazy because he can't set it for more than 25 cents a game (the dime slot is taped closed), but he won't listen. He's an even bigger location nazi than me. Doesn't care about the money, just wants games out there being played. If we're really serious about pinball making a comeback, we need more guys like Rick.

Thank you and I like your ideas.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

but I don't. I think it's a bad assumption. 2 years ago I had zero dollars in pinball. now I'm pushing $20k. why should we assume the available dollars are static when participation in events and tournaments is on the rise?

Coin op once made more money than Hollywood. Plenty of room for growth. But not on the collector side. How many households in the country do you suppose can afford to buy a $4500+ toy for the house every year or two? A pinball machine in the home is a very expensive luxury item.

When pinball made more money than Hollywood for years, there were no collectors. Everyone played on location. This likely won't happen again (collectors are here to stay), but there's unlimited room for growth among non-owners. That's where we need to be recruiting.

#79 9 years ago

Success is often measured by money. I believe the "peak" of pinball was in 1979 with over 2 billion dollars in revenue. Pinball will never be that popular again. But today, thirty five years later, my love of pinball could not be any stronger. My peak is simply playing...

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Four years ago, there were no leagues, tournaments or shows in GA. It was fewer than 10 people that made all of those things come to pass. And before that, there were just a few of us who would open our houses to strangers. It's pretty remarkable how few people it takes to spark a revolution. Anyway, if we can make all of those things happen in Georgia, I know that you guys can make them happen in Australia.

Sadly where I live I know there are two other collectors like me
    I have not met either of them nor do they use either of the two Australianpinball forums

I did try to have a meet years ago, only oone guy turned up>

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

I do agree that the increasing prices are becoming ridiculous.

Are..... ???I think that started about 2.5 years ago D:

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

There is no need for such vitriol. There are tons of affordable machines out there. The NiB LEs are not the only games in the world.

i still believe nib machine prices are getting to the point of killing any chance of this hobby getting to the next level. this is my opinion of the ramifications, and not "vitriol"

#83 9 years ago

I think another potential problem that is going to lead to the down fall of pinball machines is physical up keep. There are already a ton of parts for various games that are unobtainable. Whats the stock going to look like in 10 to 15 years? No to mention some of the electronics inside are going to be pushing 30-40 years old.

On top of that the 'Old Timers' that know theses machines inside and out are getting older. Whats going to happen when they are gone or when they don't want to be hanging on a forum all the time? Who's going to help the new guys troubleshoot problems? You can already see the knowledge starting to take a dive regarding EM repair. Fewer and fewer people know how to repair those machines.

We are seeing an influx of newer buyers that know little to nothing about basic electronics, shopping machines, or repairing mechanical problems. I mean that as no offense really, but there is a lot under the hood that your average user has no knowledge of or wants to learn. So whats going to happen when documents and resources start disappearing and people can no longer fix problems on their machines?

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

» YouTube video

LMAO I missed that one. LOL

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

i still believe nib machine prices are getting to the point of killing any chance of this hobby getting to the next level. this is my opinion of the ramifications, and not "vitriol"

NIB prices will stay the same or continue to rise as long as people keep blindly throwing money at them. Before game play or a playfield is shown people put down payments or have paid for machines in full. Even though time and time again they have been burned with incomplete codes, shoddy parts, or delays in shipping they continue to line up. I can't think of any other hobby in which a manufacturer enjoys that type of luxury. Even Apple nerds don't wait in line without seeing pictures of the newest model first.

#86 9 years ago

If you take the price of a NIB from '93 and adjust the price based on inflation $5000 is inline. The difference is that today's pin people are buying is rarely used to put on route and make money. If you want a cheap pin to put in your house buy "The Pin" from Stern or request them to make "Batman - Standard" they put at some Costco stores.

#87 9 years ago

What arcades?
    What leagues?
    What pinball shows?

Not sure where you were going with this, but just to reply to your points regarding 'what's out there' in Australia (specifically NSW which is where I live);

Leagues: Sydney has 3 very active leagues that you can pretty much fill your calendar with. Pinball HQ meets every Wednesday with a final on the last Thursday of the month. Z Ball meets every first Tuesday of the month with a number of mini meets and comps over the month too (marathons, pub crawls etc) and gives away a pinball machine as the yearly prize (Z Ball is in it's 10th year). And Wildball League meets approx once a month. All of these are IFPA endorsed.

Pinball 'shows': Depends what you define as a 'show'. Pinball exclusive? Pinfest annually, and now Pinball Expo happening end of this year. But do you count things like Supanova and PAX as a show? The Australian Pinball League and AMD always have a booth with about 8 machines.

Competitions: Too many to list. Usually run by the APL but also one off comps all over the state.

I think my point is, at least here in Sydney, there are more pinball events than I can attend, and I attend a lot of them (just ask my wife). In the last month alone I attended 6 competitions and some of those attracted 14 of the top 20 players Australia wide (and not counting Pinball HQ league as I didn't go to that this month). Having a week where there is not a pinball comp or meet is actually rare.

#88 9 years ago

IMO, we need the economy to finally turn around.

Pinball has grown the last several years through a pretty crappy economy.

Get us a booming economy and I think pinball will expand even further.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

If you take the price of a NIB from '93 and adjust the price based on inflation $5000 is inline. The difference is that today's pin people are buying is rarely used to put on route and make money. If you want a cheap pin to put in your house buy "The Pin" from Stern or request them to make "Batman - Standard" they put at some Costco stores.

No......if you want a cheap pin to put in your house buy one from the 90's........or 80's.......or 70's.........or...........

#90 9 years ago

Sadly where I live I know there are two other collectors like me
    I have not met either of them nor do they use either of the two Australianpinball forums
    I did try to have a meet years ago, only oone guy turned up>

I keep forgetting that Australia is a huge country. It would be like spreading the Georgia pin collector population over the entire US continent and expecting them to get together.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

that's a better way of putting it. but when you use phrases like "greed and stupidity" and "choke on its own vomit", yeah, that's called vitriol.

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I keep forgetting that Australia is a huge country. It would be like spreading the Georgia pin collector population over the entire US continent and expecting them to get together.

it does depend where you live
    Sydney does have events
    Adelaide people are a great bunch and very friendly
    I live an 1 1/2 hours from Melbourne, most people there keep to themselves, pinball politics is partly to blame
    but once you do get to know them they are also a good bunch of people

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

How many people have no space at their homes for new/different games, just gotta try to keep putting as many games out in the wild as we can. If you route it, they will play!
    hehe

also would add Forums like this where we can learn how to maintain and trouble shoot our machines so that those that are 20+ years in age stick around for another 20+

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If you assume there is a finite amount of $$$ in the pinball community as it stands now, home buyers, operators, barcades, etc., here in the US and International, like I do, and that the pool of $$$, whatever that is, keeps getting sucked up by all these new releases from different manufacturers, then all you are really doing is shifting the available pool of $$$ around in the short term.
    In the long term, a few manufacturers will survive and the rest will die off because they can't make it on the volume they are doing. The new guys have zero room for error. They can't afford to produce a total crapper like Stern can with Mustang.
    Where was pinball in 2008 and 09? Think about that one, since then Stern has had the great fortune of producing Ac/dc which has seemed to lift all boats there. Is there another Ac/dc in the pipeline soon?
    Nobody really knows past TH and Lawlor's pin of whether or not JJP can be viable, including them. Where is the breaking point on pricing?
    The breaking point on pricing is here, how many people, especially after all the history with code and such, and watching $7800 pins depreciate instantly, be willing to keep taking the plunge up front? Not I (with a few exceptions )
    Think about MMr for a second, not to bang on that pin or the job that PPS is doing because it looks like first class quality, and after all its Medieval Madness.
    There are 1,000 MMr "Le's", which should be retitled as "NLE's" or "not really limiteds".
    Ask yourself if you would be better off waiting a few months and picking one up for 7k or 6500 versus paying up front at 8k? The mentality that omg I have to get one right now because they are going to run out and I'll never being to find one for less than 10k is absurd.
    For me personally, I can say I was part of the resurgence/craziness as I came back in January of 2011 with Woz and started buying pins.
    I'm pinned out in terms of I'm just flat out not going to buy anything new past what is already on the drawing board without getting rid of stuff. That simple, and I know a lot of other people are feeling the same way.
    Just like every other hobby out there, the "LE" craze has died down, but not died off just yet. It's coming though and then we will be back to making reasonable decisions! At least I'm trying to do that now
    All that said, its just pinball, enjoy what we have now!

Well, I don't mean any disrespect....but (and saying JOKINGLY) "Blah, Blah, Blah".

What I mean is, there is only a very, very small percentage of the pinball community who understands what you are saying here. I can't really put a number on it, but I venture to say way more people play/buy EMs, older solid states, even 90s Bally Williams games, and could care less or understand what this terminology even means ("LE" "MMr" etc...)

There is a lot of pinball community/collectors/players that cannot simply relate to, or understand, the few paragraphs you posted here. The things you are saying are really a non-factor to folks like me, collecting 1980s games and playing a few pins in the wild at barcades. While you and a few others might understand what you posted, I think very little of what you said can be assumed to be the "pulse" of the entire pinball community.

Repost your post in the EM sub forum and you are likely to get crickets, yet those folks tinkering with $300, 30+ year old games are still a huge part of what makes the pinball hobby go 'round.

Hope I made some sense there.

#95 9 years ago

Bet that's not true as here you are reading and posting ; )

#96 9 years ago

the peak was in the 1970's . when games were everywhere !

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from rockfantasyman:

the peak was in the 1970's . when games were everywhere !

Earlier!

2.jpg2.jpg

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

We are seeing an influx of newer buyers that know little to nothing about basic electronics, shopping machines, or repairing mechanical problems.

They will learn. No one walks into a hobby knowing everything they need to know. You also mentioned documentation... the internet has led to far better documentation of, well, EVERYTHING. Most manuals and schematics, repair information, parts sources, etc are little more than a click away.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Cheaper products=More maintenance & repairs!!

#100 9 years ago

I am 35 and had not played a pinball machine that I can remember growing up. I just thought it would be cool to have one in my den (something different) and found a place about 2 hrs away that had several. With pretty much no research and no experience I ended up buying a Tron because I thought it looked cool and I somehow started multiball while trying it out. So that was my first game in late 2011.

The pricing will all work itself out as when the price gets too high people will quit buying. If people continue to buy they will end up broke with a pile of credit card debt and will be out of the hobby. My largest concern is that newer games are not built to bring in new players. I have a WOZ and I love it, new people come over and it's the first game that they go to but they quickly walk away from it. It's overwhelming to them and they have no clue what to do. Most people think pinball is just hitting a ball as many times as possible, they have no idea of the deep rulesets and how complex the games are. I say this as a fact because it took me 6 months to figure out some of the rules of Tron. Once I learned there was a lot more to it I was amazed at how deep and difficult some games are. It does not help that very few pinball machines come with rules or any explanation of how to play the game. So when a new player walks up to a game in someones home setting the owner can at least try to explain what is going on. In a barcade or anywhere on route someone pays $0.75 or $1 and it's over quickly and they have no idea what just happened. All of the newer games are geared towards advanced players because most of the games are going into homes. When I have family or friends over people play all of my machines but there is always a line in front of whitewater. How could that be? It's old, it's not a recent movie, it doesn't have a crazy light show. It's the most played because a new or casual player can understand what they are attempting to do pretty quickly. They can understand it because it tells you what to do next and the rule set is very straight forward. The callouts are very clear. Most people have been rafting so they can relate to the theme. The upper playfield shots are full and they feel like they have accomplished something when they make them.

I think if the non home use market is going to grow they have to start making some games with easier to understand rulesets that will not make new players feel lost or like they just waisted $1. I love deep games and there is a market for those but not every game should be this way. If you look at the top 5 games many are not deep at all and are very simple to understand and play. They are just pure fun. That's just my opinion on what needs to happen to grow hobby and from what I have noticed in my own home from new players. I'm not saying remove toys and have empty play fields. Have lots of toys but make a rule set that is straight forward. I still have no freaking clue what I'm doing when I try to play AC/DC or TZ and it makes then not overly fun to me. I want to play them but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

I think the upkeep will be a problem for some people as I was afraid of it as well. But I quickly learned a few things and it's not rocket science. As long a parts remain available any mildly skilled person can handle most repairs. But it is something that needs to be considered before buying pins. I spend one saturday morning a month tinkering with stuff and waxing/adjusting things. No big deal to me as I actually enjoy it and feel an increase in confidence with every repair that I'm able to make. Each new thing that breaks teaches me something and increases my repair skills.

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-peak-of-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.