Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

This topic is closed.

#1 1 year ago

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL TOPIC OR DEBATE. I just wanted to inform my fellow Pinball enthusiasts as I know a lot of us use PayPal and Venmo.

Have you heard about this?

""PayPal on Oct. 8 sent out an update to its terms of use, or acceptable use policy (AUP). It included a shocking addition. It reserved the right to confiscate $2,500 from people’s accounts if they spread 'misinformation.' It was a clear announcement of what many already suspected: PayPal has enlisted in the information war.

In a similar vein, protests all over the world poured in about PayPal’s new policy. Twitter filled up with announcements from people who were canceling their accounts.

By the following day, PayPal reversed itself, claiming that the banning of 'misinformation' was just a mistake.

'An AUP notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information,' a spokesperson told The Epoch Times. 'PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy.'

In other words, PayPal claimed that its policy on misinformation was itself misinformation.""

https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-paypal-fiasco-was-no-accident_4786458.html?utm_source=News&src_src=News&utm_campaign=breaking-2022-10-10-3&src_cmp=breaking-2022-10-10-3&utm_medium=email&est=%2Bj8z6kMs%2BKT89mpITyBGc9r2ZzhlERdSXaoeqWQQlmNK4%2BNRtvea0XO5fT7T

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/paypal-apologizes-for-policy-notice-saying-users-could-face-2-500-fines-for-misinformation-11665391789?mod=article_inline

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/paypal-tells-users-fine-them-111951288.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANRu4hRx27T01H-PjqiSiOlD9GKkrALzuItO5J9PxfbEmc9hi0fsOD6FoIgBFAJnMlLI3k60q6aHcx3HRQS_NQEAK72z-B_UpF1rvYkjoZoBJJZonYh38hBh9j_v_RkJ2VcL-7xRjetnv3PYSCRH87jCIpft636jDF4OlSlPPrI8

This wasn't a "mistake". Such a regulated company that handles millions of financial transactions had this approved all the way to the top and then some.

They cancelled and deleted my previous account without reasons a few years back (so I created a new one under a different email), and when I asked them why, they said, "We don't have to provide a reason. This account can no longer use PayPal." I never did anything illegal, obviously, so I wondered what it could be (and I know I'm not the only one as I've seen others complain about their account being deleted suddenly as well). Was my account information stolen and they saw logins from different IPs; I have absolutely no idea and still don't to this day. I had that account since 2001 when they first started on Ebay and when all of that was new - that didn't matter to them.

I, personally, deleted my account. I'm fine using alternatives (PayPal owns Venmo too... so not that), but it's only a matter of time before another big player comes around. Zelle is one I will continue to use for now, and the other smaller alternatives will see a huge spike in users now.

If you have something snarky to say and/or are going to be all self-righteous behind a keyboard, please troll away. Go for it. If you are going to judge me and think you know me because I post this, please, go right ahead. That's your right. But I just ask you to stop and think about it for a second before you take out your bad day or righteous opinions out on me. I'm literally just trying to inform you all and you can make your own decisions and do with it as you will. Are you ok that a company can literally take your hard-earned money from you and your family for something they disagree with?

What do you all think of this? Is this troubling to anyone else? We are living in a strange time right now and companies/bodies are trying to get away with stuff like this and that's a road I don't want to see paved here in the USA. And I don't think they're sorry at all, I think they're sorry they were caught.

A mistake in your Acceptable Use Policy that related to confiscating money from individuals/companies when they themselves are a financial transaction company? Bullshit.

#2 1 year ago

Of corse it was not a mistake!and they would love to punish you for something said they don’t agree with even if it’s true.

Very very very scary times!

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-paypal-fiasco-was-no-accident and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.