Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by galaga50
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cosmic Gunfight (resized).jpg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

First and foremost, I hope all the pinball hobbyists and pinball business are doing as good as can be expected during these unprecedented times. I wish you and your love ones well.

I know us people who were hanging out in arcades before the mid 80’s always had the go to pinball at our local arcades. There was always one or two that caught our eyes because of gameplay, design, or artwork.

I am curious as to what pins forever got you into this hobby. Please share your arcade classic pin with the group. I know there will be a wide variety listed here and that’s what makes this hobby so great.

For me it was Catacomb.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

#3 4 years ago

Was mostly into video arcade games and foosball back as a teen but when I did play pinball it was Bonzai Run that I went to.

#5 4 years ago

Cyklone and Whirlwind

#6 4 years ago

BANZI RUN & BEST GAME EVER SPACE SHUTTLE

#7 4 years ago

Bad cats for me . meow meow meow meow

#8 4 years ago

Very interesting, but aside from @thelazybman, no one has a single pin mentioned in their collections. I don't either, I just found it curious.

#9 4 years ago

For me, Fun House.

#10 4 years ago

Time Machine from Data East, at Grand Slam Batting Cages in Monrovia CA.

I had played pinball before at a great place in Pasadena called Pak-Mann Arcade, in the late 90s. They had a good selection of the WMS games (plus the inescapable South Park), and I remember them getting Revenge from Mars and Episode 1 when they came out, which at the time I was too young to understand the significance of. I loved playing pinball then just for the kinetic action of the ball, and had no play strategy other then keeping the ball away from the drain. Getting the ball onto a ramp at all was the coolest thing ever and enough to constitute a good game for me.

Later on in middle school, I was looking for any place to play arcade games near me, and found Grand Slam, where Time Machine was the only pinball they had. It was the first non-DMD game I ever saw and the presentation of it was captivating. The great music and sound (especially that incredibly cool "singing" vocoder robot voice) drew me in, and the simple rules started turning gears in my head and got me to think about how to start and complete different scoring features. I remember looking up the different flipper techniques for the first time one day before walking over to Grand Slam to play, and I tried nudging for the first time shortly after. Time Machine is the game that elevated pinball from something I liked to play now and then into my favorite game of all (pardon the pun) time.

#11 4 years ago

last action hero

#12 4 years ago

High Speed.

The ball is the car. The roads are the shots.

I get it.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hertig:

Cyklone and Whirlwind

It wasn't until Whirlwind that I realized beating people was the most fun.
    Hey, you cant beat the game.
    EDIT: Although I had fun learning at one of the six local arcades with Centaur, Comet, & Gamatron.

#14 4 years ago

Cosmic Gunfight! We bought it at a yard sale for about $50 when I was 8 years old... Good times

Cosmic Gunfight (resized).jpgCosmic Gunfight (resized).jpg
    #15 4 years ago

High speed in high school

#16 4 years ago

BoP and F14 at the hotdog arcade place. Later on they got WCS and Junkyard. I miss Top Dog like you wouldn't believe

#17 4 years ago

Aladdin's Castle.

#18 4 years ago

When I regularly hung out in arcades, I always spent a lot of time at the banks of pinball machines, but I don’t really remember any specific titles from back then. The first pinball machine that I know I played was Spirit of 76. The first game I made a point to play all the time was TAF.

#19 4 years ago

I lived in a small farming town when I was young. Didn’t see an arcade until high school. Luckily it was across the street next to the coffee shop. There was about 15 arcades and 2 pins that rotated out. It was the early to mid 90’s.

I remember learning that pinball was more then just flipping the paddles on games like fish tales, whitewater, World cup soccer.

#20 4 years ago

I spent all my moneys on BK back in the day. My allowance and paper route money went really fast since it was the first 50 cent game, and I wasn't very good.

We ended up with a Big Deal '77 in the garage one day, when a guy who owed my father some money left it as collateral. He never paid, so it stayed there until my parents moved.

I have both machines in my collection today.

#21 4 years ago

hocus pocus then i remember blackout.

#22 4 years ago

Lights...Camera...Action! and Whirlwind, as a pair.
    I was a kid of 9 years old, the location was a camping in France, the year 1990. The two machines were both very new and standing next to each other. Two much bigger kids, who I now realise were very good players, were playing them. This is the first time I saw things like post passes and drop catches happening. By watching these two wizards at play, I realised that pinball was very much a game of skill. And I knew that I wanted to be able to play the way they did. I also remember finding that WW a much more difficult machine to play than the LCA. Which, I guess, is still true

Also: Banzai Run, that pin of which nobody seems to know how to spell the name correctly. This pin was (and is) just outstanding in every way.

As of now, I've owned all three of these pins at least once. BR turned out to be the keeper of the bunch.

#23 4 years ago

Ted Nugent

#24 4 years ago

Rollergames, in a bowling alley on the highway that is now a car dealership.

It had a ball trough switch malfunction that gave me a never-ending game, giving me a new ball back every time I lost one.

I was five, and that was my gateway drug. Yes, I own one now.

#25 4 years ago

Gorgar, Flash, FirePower

#26 4 years ago

Had a lot that would keep me busy at an arcade. It's sad that we can't do today what my mom did for me back in the day. She would go to the mall and give me a couple dollars and leave me at the arcade. she would then go do her shopping and if I ran out of money, I just hung out there. can't do that today. so the games that I always went to-Cyclone, High Speed, Whirlwind, and Fish Tales. just always loved to play some games while I was there.

#27 4 years ago

Indiana Jones (Williams)

#28 4 years ago

In 1978 my dad brought home a super-flite. That was it. Until that point I was like others that had stated about just plunging and flipping. But since I didnt have to go broke learning the nuances and objectives, I was hooked. From that point on every campground, amusement park, restaurant, or shopping center that had a machine, I was playing it.
    Fast forward to 1989 in the pizza shop I worked at. They had regularly rotated pairs (1 pin, 1 vid) so it was normal to have 4 of us in a spirited game of high speed or playing rush'n attack while waiting for f14 to open up.
    Then one glorious day in November she showed up...
    A brand new Elvira. I was in love and knew I wanted one. After 3 machines and 3 decades had gotten away from me, it finally happened

#29 4 years ago

T2 and not a pin but roadblasters.

At the local bar my dad would take me to on the weekends after he picked me up. He would fill them full of games for me once a month or so.

T2 still plays great! Someday I’ll own one.

#30 4 years ago

I was more into the arcade machines at the time and lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere so selection was very limited, but the only ones that I definitely recall were at the bowling alley: Black Knight and Firepower. Played them from time to time, but didn't care for BK then, still not a big fan of it, but do own Firepower.

#31 4 years ago

Hard to pull me away from those new, flashy arcade games, but Black Hole was my gateway drug.

#32 4 years ago

Fathom (dive again)

#33 4 years ago

I don't remember seeing too many pins growing up. Not sure if arcades were mostly video games or that's all I paid attention to. Earliest I really remember is BK2000 mostly because of the sounds/music. Since I worked at an arcade that had one and had the keys, I would play it for free now and then. I had no idea about rules or strategy. The first game I really wanted to put my own money in was TZ. Even back then I could tell something was special about it. It had so many features, great sounds, and cool theme. TAF and FH were also very memorable. Those games had such personality and visually interesting playfields.

#34 4 years ago

Whirlwind at Chuck E Cheese
    Addams Family and Slug Fest at the bowling alley

#35 4 years ago

Was not into pins as a kid in the early 80’s...video games were my thing. Played pins occasionally but was not my thing....but Kiss was my favorite band. Bought a Kiss pinball for $300 with my own money when I was 15....the ULTIMATE Kiss collectible at the time. Loved it more because it was Kiss theme than a pinball machine.....But enjoy pinball now!

#36 4 years ago

In the 80's and 90's I was more into the Arcade games... funny enough it wasn't until after highschool (graduated in 2000) I went to a convention (MGC) and that is when I saw a prestine Creature. I was in love! But back then it was for sale for $2000.... who the hell had that kind of scratch to buy a pinball machine! lol

#37 4 years ago

Bow and arrow 1976 Farrells ice cream parlor
    Black Knight blew me away 1980 at putt putt in fern creek
    Before I really got back into playing pinball the last one that
    sticks in my mind was Rocky and Bullwinkle early 90s aladdins
    Castle bashford manor mall. I remember JP and IJ being there also
    but I liked Rocky and Bullwinkle better. Haha.

#38 4 years ago

My local swimming pool snack bar had a TAF that I have fond memories of playing in the 90s. Looking back, I cringe at the thought of the number of dripping wet hands that probably played that thing! By the end of its life it was probably a moldy mess.

#39 4 years ago

My local arcade was Malibu Grand Prix in Kelowna BC, it was a go cart track with a really nice layout of games inside.We would go there after high school and play Daytona USA for bragging rights.

My one buddy always made us keep a few quarters at the end of our arcade session to play the line up pinball machines together. It was the mid 90s and at the time I had no idea how amazing of a line up they had. STTNG, IJ, Medevil madness, and TAZ to name a few.

The call outs and the magic trunk bash toy of TOM is the one is that I enjoyed the most and started my love if pinball. Hoppy to own a nice example today! My 7 year old daughters favorite to play !

#40 4 years ago

I grew up in the far north suburbs of Chicago. There was pinball in many places. However, my parents NEVER gave me, my brother or sister any money to play games. On the random occasions that we ended up at an arcade it was mostly video game arcades as the pinball was usually in a seperate room and my buddies were not into that. I used to walk by the room and stare at all the lights when I ran out of quarters.

One day my best friend and neighbors dad brought home a pinball machine and put it in his basement where he had a pool table and bar. It was a 1979 Brunswick Aspen... LOL. We played the shit out of that thing. Every minute, every day.

#41 4 years ago

Team One and T2

#42 4 years ago

FIRE! , High Speed, TAF, Fish Tales.

#43 4 years ago

Changed over time — Meteor then Cyclone then Funhouse

#44 4 years ago

Gottlieb Tournament, my grandfather had one of these at his house in the 80's, around six years old, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2613

#45 4 years ago

Funhouse for me, the music/sounds and Rudy just drew me in!

#46 4 years ago

Sinbad, while in high school and college. Thought once I found a perfect condition one I'd be set. Now, 16 pins later, still looking to purchase

#47 4 years ago

For me it was WhiteWater sometime in the late 90s when I was barely tall enough to see the playfield. I particularly remember watching the ball whizzing up and down the Insanity Falls ramp. I was excited and intrigued because I've never seen that kind of ramp design before in a game.

It's now one of my favorite titles.

#48 4 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe

#49 4 years ago

Black Knight

#50 4 years ago

I remember going to the arcade with my uncle in the 80's, but don't remember any particular game. I just remember the sounds of all the pins. In college, my friend and I played The Getaway in between classes. I was never any good, but really loved playing.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-one-pin-at-the-arcade-?hl=lymes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.