(Topic ID: 92434)

The One and Done Pinball Podcast - Submit your podcast now!!! - UP AND RUNNING!!!

By RustyLizard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 469 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kimzupi
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    IMG_9059.JPG
    one_and_done_logo.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-709.jpg
    image-816.jpg
    image.jpg
    tb-dachshunds.jpg
    There are 469 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 9 years ago

Have this idea floating around in my head about a podcast kit that could be passed from person to person for individuals to do a podcast. Could be a certain group or just an individual.

Kit would contain a recording device and a set of instructions for recording and uploading your podcast to wherever we would have this hosted.

When it was your turn you could talk about:

Your collection
    Deals that you got or deals that went bad
    Projects or repairs
    Local pinball on location
    A party or event
    Your local league
    Your opinion on current topics
    Anything pinball

After recording and uploading your podcast you mail the kit to the next person on the list.

The idea of this would be to have more pinball podcast content and provide and opportunity to be heard for people who would never do a recurring podcast.

If someone did a great job we could maybe encourage them to do a follow up at a later date.

Would this work or is it too crazy of an idea?

#2 9 years ago

I think that is a really cool Idea Russ!

#3 9 years ago

It's mad! I love it. It's gold baby.
    Do it.

#4 9 years ago

Bump for the morning crowd. I thought this would at least generate some discussion.

#5 9 years ago

I am in, we could broadcast from one of our league nights here in Lafayette and talk to the different individuals.

#6 9 years ago

I do like it. But we would need to make sure we track it and if someone broke/lost something, they replace it.

#7 9 years ago

Very cool idea - some could be interesting and some could be 'bad'... but all pinball stuff is good - clever idea - hats off to ya'... We have guests on our 'PinballSTAR of the Month' segment on Spooky Pinball Podcast and it's always a challenge to keep it fresh and find people who haven't been on before or on other podcasts over time... I always enjoy when Charlie does the 'man on the street' stuff from shows etc... Keeps it fun and light... Different people doing different segments would be certainly varied, some serious, some funny, some from locations no other podcast people get to... Great idea ! I'm ready to subscribe now !

Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    [email protected]
    570-357-0042

#8 9 years ago

Maybe we could get it int he hands of people attending an event and they could do a segment on it?

"real shows reviews from real pin heads"

#9 9 years ago

I think this would only work if there was a central authority in charge of mixing, editing and checking volumes, etc to ensure a semi-consistent product.

Note that you're suggesting getting the recording device and uploading setup into the hands of total amateurs.

I know a lot of the guys I'd like to hear from may be a lot less comfortable editing, etc.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

I think this would only work if there was a central authority in charge of mixing, editing and checking volumes, etc to ensure a semi-consistent product.
    Note that you're suggesting getting the recording device and uploading setup into the hands of total amateurs.
    I know a lot of the guys I'd like to hear from may be a lot less comfortable editing, etc.

I would assume the final product would never be as polished as the regular podcasts we listen to now. I agree we would need several 'experts' to oversee this.

This is an idea that has been bouncing around in my head and I thought I would throw it out there. I would be willing to play a part in keeping it organized. Would definitely need help with the technical parts of it. Your suggestions make me lean towards just sending out one or multiple recorders and having someone edit it before putting it out there. Problem with that is it adds another mailing cost to each podcast. My initial thought was that anyone willing to record a podcast would also take responsibility for the roughly $6 it would take to mail the kit to the next person in line.

Keep the ideas coming.

#11 9 years ago

How much production goes into a podcast? I thought it was more of a sit, record, publish online type of activity.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

How much production goes into a podcast? I thought it was more of a sit, record, publish online type of activity.

yeah for off the cuff ones. But the current pod casts out, coast 2 coast and spooky etc, are all very nicely edited, sound leveling etc. A lot of work actually.

#13 9 years ago

I'm in. LMK who needs my address for mailing the kit.

#14 9 years ago

I think what you would want to do would best be accomplished the way Gene X does it for the Pinball Podcast. You should get a show with some kind of central host to introduce segments, and then instead of gene you send out just a recorder for people to use and then they could send whatever they produce to whoever is the central host.

Unsure what Gene uses to record his segments, but I imagine its not too big or complex.

#15 9 years ago

I think it's a great idea - if I may take it a little further. . .

Most people have what's needed to record their voice and make a podcast. A microphone and Audacity is sufficient. I will be happy to provide the website/bandwidth, create and maintain the iTunes feed, and minimally prep/edit/upload and notify iTunes / RSS feed of new episodes. Episode makers need only record and optionally edit their podcast and email/upload to me and I'll do the rest. . .

I won't send microphones to anyone.

Not meaning to step on any toes either. . .if the OP wants to do any/all the stuff needed. . .i just wouldn't mind doing it.

Who's first?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

I think it's a great idea - if I may take it a little further. . .
    Most people have what's needed to record their voice and make a podcast. A microphone and Audacity is sufficient. I will be happy to provide the website/bandwidth, create and maintain the iTunes feed, and minimally prep/edit/upload and notify iTunes / RSS feed of new episodes. Episode makers need only record and optionally edit their podcast and email/upload to me and I'll do the rest. . .
    I won't send microphones to anyone.
    Not meaning to step on any toes either. . .if the OP wants to do any/all the stuff needed. . .i just wouldn't mind doing it.
    Who's first?

I would love to see this happen and if you ran with it I would be happy. I would submit a podcast later this summer.

#17 9 years ago

This is a cool idea. But I would want to do it in tandem with someone else. McCune and I could do it. It would basically just be recording one of our phone conversations. That would go over like gangbusters!

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

This is a cool idea. But I would want to do it in tandem with someone else. McCune and I could do it. It would basically just be recording one of our phone conversations. That would go over like gangbusters!

That would be cool.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

That's what I just PMd to RustyL - I'm not sure (but am sure it's easy) how to record a pair over the net/phone with equal quality on both ends (rather than one clear and one on a phone)

#20 9 years ago

Might have to do it over the computer.

#21 9 years ago

Awesome idea.

#22 9 years ago

Reckon it would be OK to call it 'The Pinside Users Pinball Podcast'? Someone give this monster a name and I'll get the tech stuff done

#23 9 years ago

I was thinking, The One and Done Pinball Podcast. We can take suggestions also.

#24 9 years ago

The One and Done Pinside Podcast

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I was thinking, The One and Done Pinball Podcast. We can take suggestions also.

This is my vote. Just think Robin would probably prefer to be left out

#26 9 years ago

A live call in segment could add some chaos to the mix for tech podcasters.

#27 9 years ago

I don't know that you need a "kit"? Sure it's nice to have things professionally done, but for shows / events I think most people have a decent phone or pocket camera that can film HD. If you're just doing audio, most phones do a good job of that too (I have a pretty good audio technica usb mic for audio if I want higher quality). I like that Gene-x has become sort of an open source interview guy, though he's been mostly submitting to the pinball podcast.

If anyone records something, I'm sure any number of the half dozen pinball podcasts would be happy to get submitted audio for the show.

#28 9 years ago

Celebrity guests ? LIONMAN ! maybe ?

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't know that you need a "kit"? Sure it's nice to have things professionally done, but for shows / events I think most people have a decent phone or pocket camera that can film HD. If you're just doing audio, most phones do a good job of that too (I have a pretty good audio technica usb mic for audio if I want higher quality). I like that Gene-x has become sort of an open source interview guy, though he's been mostly submitting to the pinball podcast.
    If anyone records something, I'm sure any number of the half dozen pinball podcasts would be happy to get submitted audio for the show.

You are right and it would probably work best for the person submitting a podcast to use their own recording device. This was nothing more than idea that was hatched and we are molding it as we go along.

I would like to differentiate this from GeneX type submissions by saying that this is for the average guy to be heard. Take a one time shot at telling us about yourself, your collection or anything pinball. Average Joe who has a few interesting pinball stories or just wants to take a shot at podcasting. The type of guy who wound not normally find his way on to one of the established podcasts. It can be an event recording if you wish but doesn't have to be.

There will be about 20 topic headings. You can pick one or many that you wish to include in your podcast. It can be two pinheads having a pinball conversation, whatever. Some of it will suck, some will be really cool. It doesn't matter.

#30 9 years ago

I threw together a little placeholder podcast to break the ice and get the technical side setup and running. Although the 2nd half is just some info about me, I wanted to add a little practice podcast to the introduction. The goal is to make it as easy as possible for everyone who wants to participate. . .we will collectively be working on that. . .

http://www.cjarcade.com/podcasts/oneanddone/oneanddone.rss

#31 9 years ago

I listened today. This is taking shape quite nicely. Anyone ready to jump in?

#32 9 years ago

Alright, I'm sorta digging this idea. RSS feed is in my podcatcher, curious what people will record now.

#33 9 years ago

Great idea Rusty and way to kick it off Dan! I'm in. I'll try to record something in the next week and get it to you.

Now how about titles? I'm thinking that each episode title could be an individual's name or maybe Pinside user ID? Or maybe that person could pick a title he/she likes such as "playfield restoration tips by xxx" or "my awesome CL purchase". Kinda like someone comes up with their own thread title.

On and done is a fine name and idea. I'd hope that nothing would preclude someone from doing multiple episodes. There's likely going to be some people with enough content for multiple episodes. Or perhaps someone does such a good job that there's demand for another episode.

I bet this is going to work out great!

#34 9 years ago

More info to come

#35 9 years ago

Very cool.

Listening to the first one now.

I would participate, but have NO IDEA how to even get started. I have a CPU and plenty of pinball stories.

What sort of microphone should I get? What program do I need to dowload to be able to record?

edit >> sounds like this is covered in the first episode

In text for those that want easy access:
    Blue Yeti mic
    Audactity (will save as aud file> feel free to convert to MP3 or Rush can do this if you dont know how)
    Project rate 44.1 kz
    1 channel mono
    hit record

edit if you like to make it pretty (not needed) but rush will not be editing

email rush [email protected] and he will help you to figure out how to get him the files

#36 9 years ago

first show was pretty cool! thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it!

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

first show was pretty cool! thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it!

Awesome - glad you enjoyed it - it's hard, even if only a podcast, to "put yourself out there" - but I just thought the concept was awesome and wanted to jump in a hopefully encourage others to join the fun. Thank you for the compliment - that was uplifting

#38 9 years ago

you have got a really cool story and thanks for sharing that. I wish I had known you existed 2 years back when I was in OKC for a night with nothing to do.

I would like to do a podcast but just not sure what I would talk about...

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you have got a really cool story and thanks for sharing that. I wish I had known you existed 2 years back when I was in OKC for a night with nothing to do.
    I would like to do a podcast but just not sure what I would talk about...

I am going to do it and I have nothing earth-shattering to say. Talk about your collection, the restoration work you do, how you got started in pinball, the games you have on location, your local league......

#40 9 years ago

I'd do it with RonB and Astropin.... That would be a fun time...

#41 9 years ago

I'd think for a 2-way (or more) remote podcast, each person would need headphones (to listen to the conversation) along with the mic, of course. How it's recorded, I'm not sure yet . . . Anyone?

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

I'd think for a 2-way (or more) remote podcast, each person would need headphones (to listen to the conversation) along with the mic, of course. How it's recorded, I'm not sure yet . . . Anyone?

I know the "pinball podcast", as well as a bunch of other podcasts skypes in for continuity (could be a cellphone for that matter), but each party records their own audio on their own computer, then one of them sends his audio to the other, then both are spliced together into a single file using audacity (just have to make sure they line up). That's how you get a good quality audio podcast that makes it sound like they're in the same room.

I've got the audio technica usb mic with condenser and it records beautifully:
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001AS6OYC/ref=sr_1_1

#43 9 years ago

I'm actually surprised more people aren't participating in this thread.

#44 9 years ago

Besides an RSS feed, I'd build a little web page(big or small, don't matter) around it for direct downloads.

As for recording equipment, I use a cheap headset that cost me $3. It's crap, but it works. Record into Audacity which is free.

The hardest part is getting off of one's duff to record it.

1 week later
    #45 9 years ago

Just found this and listened to the first episode, what a great idea, I hope it takes off. I've just added it to the list of podcasts I maintain on The pinball Arcade Forum to help spread the word.

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/3989-Pinball-podcasts

1 week later
    #46 9 years ago

Are there any more episodes incoming?

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kevlar:

Are there any more episodes incoming?

So far the inbox has been quiet. Anyone wanna talk about pinball?

#48 9 years ago

Hmm.... If I didn't have a podcast already. But maybe just...let me ask someone.

#49 9 years ago

I'm up for it. Great idea.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Hmm.... If I didn't have a podcast already. But maybe just...let me ask someone.

You do?

There are 469 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-one-and-done-podcast-would-it-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.