Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello all, I've had an issue with my Scared Stiff where it would start acting nutty in the middle of a game (serving up multiple balls and generally disregarding the optos). The last time this happened I noticed that the LED on the playfield-mounted 16 opto board was not on when the game was powered up. I re-seated the connectors and that solved the issue. I of course, checked all the connectors involved elsewhere and checked fuses F101 and F109 for power as well. This was a year or so ago.

Fast forward to today, and the game again exhibits the same flaky behavior in the middle of a game. I power cycle the game and get the "Check fuses" error message. I immediately go to the 16 PCB opto board, and the light is again, off. This time, re-seating things and checking fuses does not solve the issue, so I checked for 12v at pins 12+13 at connector J5 on the opto board. There is voltage there (actually read 13.5 volts or so), but no LED.

Did the board crap out?

I am at the limits of my troubleshooting skills here, and would greatly appreciate some guidance as to what to do next!

Thanks very much for looking!

#2 5 years ago

Full disclosure: Have never worked on a B/W with an opto trough.

Have a look at the solder joints on the board, particularly on the connectors, and check for cracks or cold joints. Reflow as needed. To me it seems like this may be a likely cause if reseating the connectors fixed it once.

The thing about having voltage is that it's a reasonably good indicator that you have power, but it won't indicate you have return (through ground, etc) and it won't indicate if the connection is good enough to carry the necessary current.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Fooped:

I checked for 12v at pins 12+13 at connector J5 on the opto board.

Was this with the connectors connected to the board?

@kellycorcoran has good advice on looking at connections, and I agree its most likely a connection issue. The voltage check I would do next, would be to measure the voltage between ground and both sides of diode of D19.

#4 5 years ago

Wiggling the connector at J5 does make the light come on, but it fails during game play, so it is a connection issue. I reflowed the joints where the pin connectors attach to the board, but still can't get consistent results. It seems the the redesigned board is out of stock everywhere. Does anyone have a source for it?

#5 5 years ago

Its possible that its not the board at all, and is looking more likely that its on the connector side since reflowing the connector didnt solve the issue. I would just use a cheap .156 IDC punch tool to ensure the wires are firmly seated in the socket. You should also do a good visual of the connector and look for any discoloration that would also point to the connector as being the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 249.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 38.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

£ 37.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-old-check-fuses-f101-f109-j127-amp-the-opto-12v-supply-problem?hl=gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.