20240410_181338 (resized).jpg
IMG_1438 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_184826850.MP.jpg
IMG_5558 (resized).jpeg
PNG image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6461 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #91 Rush song list Posted by Bill2112Rush (2 years ago)

Post #1378 RULES. Link to RUSH Rulesheet Posted by Av8 (2 years ago)

Post #1389 TECH: SWITCHES. Lockdown bar action button not working - fix Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1818 MOD: SOUND. Amp DIY upgrade for RUSH Posted by TinyBlackDog (2 years ago)

Post #2123 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter lane adjustment to stop rattling ball launch Posted by Coyohtay (2 years ago)

Post #3107 TECH: SOUND. Headphone Jack no-boot when installed workaround Posted by AUKraut (2 years ago)

Post #3632 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Scoop losing track of balls. Posted by Schwaggs (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

The scoop on Rush is about 1’ closer than my Kiss, I played some games tonight and the blows are about the same. Hopefully these new protectors are shipped prompt.[quoted image]

I actually removed my KISS scoop and live with the minimal damage. The scoop protector results in lots of bogus rejects.

If Borg wants to use such tight holes, he/they should bezel the opening to accommodate a really sweet (i.e. thick) protector. It's called integration...engineering the PF for protection! Hard to believe in 2022, pinball companies can't even get this level of improvement implemented. Instead, we are left with the problem to either solve or ignore...sigh.

IMG_0496 (resized).jpegIMG_0496 (resized).jpeg
#785 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is ill-advised for Rush. Unlike KISS, Rush seems to have extremely minimal clear paired with art adhesion issues. There are some NASTY damage pictures after less than 200 plays. You will not have the same experience as KISS on a Rush missing a protector.

Agreed, which is why it's really unfortunate Stern/Borg didn't do what I suggested in my post (to engineer a more robust solution with a PF bezel). At this point, it's too late (obviously), but they should consider it for future games. Mantis style protectors work great for larger holes.

#786 2 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

The game is a big disappointment to me. The whole scoop thing pisses me off. Game needs better code. I have no clue what is going on! Game has no new mechs!! I am a big RUSH fan. Grew who with them and have been to many shows. Questioning my purchase. They could have done better!

Interesting...haven't played it yet, but the scoop thing is upsetting. Just shows how little they care, since fixing it isn't rocket science.

#1314 2 years ago

Nauseating scoop wear (especially on a new release). So glad I decided to be patient on this one. The NIB shit show continues...

#1316 2 years ago
Quoted from Jcanuck72:

This may be naive of me to say, but why don't we as a pinball/Rush community "Resist" buying LE's from flippers that are clearly not fans looking to make a fast (and unreasonable return). If I'm not mistaken this is the first time Stern has built 1000 LE's -- there are already a ton on the market and most haven't even been delivered yet!
In this case supply of LE's may well exceed demand. I think it would be fitting if flippers were made to sit on there NIB machines due to a lack of buyers and then have to sell at a loss!

Not just flippers, but distributors are selling them for insane markups. Last week, a distributor offered me one @ 12.5k and acted like I was getting a "deal". I declined and will be patient...as you say, not only are 1000 being made, but many folks will be selling when they decide the game isn't for them OR they chase the next game and have limited space and/or funds. I played an LE, and while the game shoots nice, I already have 3 Borg games that I believe are all superior (MET/KISS/TRON).

2 weeks later
#2570 2 years ago
Quoted from sofgwhat:

Couldn't agree more! My first LE stern and I'm not impressed, game play and build quality are great but lacking on the frills for $11K IMO. No topper, simple shooter rod, unimpressive graphics finish (compared to what a spooky butter cabinet looks like), no speaker lights and not to mention the sound system that sounds like Rush is playing from a tin cup. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game but feels like a stern money grab.

Yep. Surprising that licensee/Rush doesn't insist on better audio. If the promo video is accurate, they were involved and you'd think would have some say. Just more business for PinWoofer, but at LE prices it's just insulting.

#2605 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

After adjusting the audio settings on my LE (4ohm and then the other settings to bring the treble & bass back), my Rush sounds spectacular IMO. Crystal clear music & voice, great stereo separation, and I can feel the bass as my hands rest on the game.
Everyone has different audio expectations though. I went to a collector's house once and he was like "AC/DC just sounds like absolutely SHIT...so I modded mine, it's unbelievable, you've GOT to hear it!" He had this GIANT amplifier or equalizer or something inside his game. He turned it on. It was SOOOOOOO bad...just absolutely caustic. Sounded like a car that blasts too much bass in the distance. You couldn't hear the lyrics or much of the music anymore...just diarrhea fart bass. He looks at me smiling..."Isn't it GREAT?!?!?" I'm like...are you serious? It's horrible. It's viscerally hurting my ears...I think my factory stock one sounds better, you can actually hear the music"....and he says "Oh, well, I'm mostly deaf from going to too many concerts - so this sounds good to me"
Anyway, with some tweaks - Rush sounds awesome.

Good to hear tweaks make a big difference. R&M was the same way...sounded awful out-of-the-box but with some fiddling sounded great.

No doubt everyone has different ears and experience...I have PinWoofer on most of my music pins and it does wonders for clarity (could care less about LOUD, but it does that as well

2 months later
#6150 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Do it. The LE looks awesome, you get better speakers, expression lighting, shaker, invisiglass, inner art blades, guitar rails…at todays Prem prices, no reason not to get LE if it’s about MSRP or less.

Good advice. Just paid for Rush LE #799 today...will be delivered next week! Will sit right next to KISS

IMG_0664 (resized).jpegIMG_0664 (resized).jpeg
#6316 1 year ago

Unboxed #797 yesterday. Updated to 0.93. Other than rusty balls, game seems to play fairly well out of the box. Thought rusty balls were a thing of the past...guess not. Kind of pathetic when you are paying such crazy prices. Oh well.

One question: I just got 2 balls stuck in the dead-end VUK. After convulsing for awhile, one of the balls fell out of the lane. Unfortunately, the ball remaining in the VUK stayed in the VUK until a ball search was triggered. Has anyone else seen this bug? Or am I just really lucky to have triggered it on my first game

IMG_0964 (resized).jpegIMG_0964 (resized).jpegIMG_0966 (resized).jpegIMG_0966 (resized).jpeg
#6427 1 year ago

Man, this game is so fast. Turned my flipper power down from the default of 255 IIRC to 225. The shot choreography is really sweet. Love the combos.

Anyone know why the subway ball lock feature is turned off by default? I'm running the latest/greatest code...0.93 IIRC.

IMG_0999 (resized).jpegIMG_0999 (resized).jpeg
#6521 1 year ago
Quoted from redbarchetta:

Long-time Rush fan, first-time poster. Apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't see any mention in this thread. Just received my Premium and noticed that the ball will jump the left-return rail with a strong shot on the right/steel ramp that runs behind the back cabinet (with diverter inactivated). Ball ends up careening back onto the playfield as a result. I lowered flipper strength down to 225, which seems to resolve *some* of those shots, but not all of them (a good flush hit will still cause it). What could be causing this?

I have this problem as well and lowered my flipper strength to 225 as well. Doesn't happen as often now and I've decided to not worry about it until some of my other issues are fixed (all fairly minor). I might try going even lower...the ball is just flying all over the place more than other Sterns I've owned.

As for what's causing it? The flippers on this game are just wildly strong and the ramp design/turns can't handle the velocity. Ball velocity is also a problem for the inner loop shot (where the ball skips over the switch). Some folks installed felt I believe to slow the ball down and keep it on the PF.

#6546 1 year ago

I just updated via USB and seems to be fine (but I don't "log in", so I can't comment on that feature).

The improvements to the expression lighting effects are dramatic. Wow!

#6627 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

For those with the Expression lighting system and that have played JJP Guns ‘n Roses, how do the two compare? I have both Rush Pro (no expression) and a GnR LE, with a zillion RGBs. Lighting on GnR is blow-away impressive. I’m mean, REALLY impressive. Each song custom choreographed, and tons of special lighting effects. IMHO, it’s a quantum leap in Pinball lighting, like nothing ever done before. After a few games of GnR, all my Sterns look barren and plain, honestly. Hoping Stern starts to catchup in this area.
Thanks.

I just sold my GNR LE and replaced it with a Rush LE. No doubt, the GNR light show is amazing (for me, the rotating spot lights are part of the awesomeness). Before the latest code update, I would have said Stern was still far behind. HOWEVER, the expression lighting software upgrade is really impressive…creative choreography with the music.

I don’t think Rush LE is quite as beautiful as GNR LE overall, however it’s much more fun. Stern knows how to choreograph shots, sounds and shaker effects. JJP just doesn’t seem to have “it” when it comes to making a really fun game with interesting rules/scoring. I’ve played Rush more in one week than I played GNR in 6 months. I’ve owned almost every Stern music pin and Rush LE is a standout.

#6637 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's superficial, but the thing that turns me off of GNR is right when you hit the start button. You don't get a hit GNR song to send you into gameplay...it's just some generic rock. I guess it's Slash, but still...when you hit start on DE GNR, you're greeted with Welcome to the Jungle. That makes me happy & pumped to play. I don't like having to play to non-GNR music and only get some when starting a mode. Meanwhile, with Rush...I hit start, instant happiness as I can listen to any of my favorites from the jump.

Good point...on GNR, hitting the start button is more about the lighting effects.

Love the way Rush incorporates the tunes. I just wish YYZ was included...one of my favorites. Bummer.

It's also odd that Slash was involved with GNR yet the "Slash Solo" mode is so lame and almost universally hated. Just not fun. Having the licensee too involved I guess can have some downsides. As you know (being a creative type, collaboration sometimes means head banging, and I can imagine that JJP folks might be intimidated by Slash (who knows). You'd just think that a mode named after the man himself would be fun and engaging?

#6698 1 year ago
Quoted from Raiders36:

Love the new code. Keeps getting better.
Has anyone had a ball get stuck to the R of the time machine ramp when it is in the up position. During a multiball I have had a ball somehow make it up in the little dead area and dont realize it until the ramp is trying to go down but the ball prevents it. Maybe a small mode in the area would help. It has to be a freak thing as only with multiballs do I ever get it stuck but there all a lot of multiballs.

Happens to me all the time. Stern is looking into a solution apparently. I could fiddle with moving the ramp or time machine, but I'd prefer they weigh-in since it isn't that big a deal. Worst case, the game does a ball search. Sure, it slows down the game, but it's not like the glass needs to come off to fix.

IMG_0970 (resized).jpegIMG_0970 (resized).jpeg
#6872 1 year ago

My spinner loop delivers the ball to the right upper flipper about 90% of the time. The other 10% it will backup into the left inner loop exit and come around to the left inner loop entry...typically happens when it's a really fast shot with a lot of spin.

Are other people seeing this behavior? Is there an adjustment or mod to prevent the backup? Or is my game unique Or is the game designed to work that way?

Thanks for any feedback about what your game is doing...

#6913 1 year ago
Quoted from misterschu:

This sounds like a pitch or lean issue on the game setup, it's not supposed to do that. I would check your pitch and lean with a digital level if you have access to one, you can't always trust the bubble level in the plunger lane. you can also check lean by just releasing a ball manually down the an open part of the playfield, but that's obviously less accurate.

Hey, thanks for the response! It was leaning a bit and very slightly under pitch. Now that it's been leveled with a digital level, the problem has largely disappeared. It did happen once, but a lot less than before! Having it "back up" to the left loop once in awhile isn't a big deal. The ball velocity is much greater than my other Stern games for some reason (and I've had a bunch), which may be contributing to the problem. I dialed down the flipper strength, but might have to fiddle with it some more.

#6938 1 year ago

After leveling my machine properly, it was much easier to dial-in all the shots. Cool to get to Cygnus X1...very cool mode.

Amazing how touchy some games are to proper leveling...

IMG_1105 (resized).jpegIMG_1105 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7212 1 year ago

Just installed the Ninja translucent scoop protector. Looks great with the translucent Titans.

I also purchased the Mantis protector and tried to install it as well...unfortunately, the 2 are incompatible. I've had Mantis protectors on many other games and love Kerry's approach for new games. If the Ninja protector doesn't provide adequate protection, I can always install the Mantis later...

I neglected to take a photo, but there was 0 damage under the Stern factory protector.

IMG_1197 (resized).jpegIMG_1197 (resized).jpeg
#7391 1 year ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

I installed the gameroommods yesterday - the time machine and dice over each scoop - look very good. I'm very pleased with both. Also picked up the pinmonk insert color films to help with mode clarity. Other than that, I don't plan to mod RUSH much more. It already seems visually busy/exciting for me. Expression lighting is high on my list and then I think I'm done. Everybody has their own preferences, I a bit of a minimalist on RUSH: I do so enjoy this game!

Me too, the time machine VAC-Tube LED's and lighted Dice look AWESOME (and I'm a minimalist as well when it comes to mods on RUSH).

Not cheap, but the attention to detail and design/implementation are first-rate. Good job gameeroommods!

The photo doesn't do it justice, but here is one anyway

IMG_1216 (resized).jpegIMG_1216 (resized).jpeg
#7411 1 year ago

The scoop issue was minor...now we have a boatload of choices for solving it.

My lineup is Borg-heavy, and I think this is his best layout. Something about the rules isn't clicking with me yet for some reason. One of the things I miss is any information regarding how many shots are left! (to complete the song). This is especially true if you resume the song after losing the ball.

#7430 1 year ago
Quoted from Maken:

Top left portion of the LCD will give you progress updates on your modes as you play. Limelight, for example, shows your % as you make the shots.

I see now...I guess the progress is variable (not always %). Still wish it were a bit more prominent...no big deal.

Image 6-23-22 at 4.53 PM (resized).jpgImage 6-23-22 at 4.53 PM (resized).jpg
#7446 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Has anyone removed the Stern scoop protector fix in order to install a NinjaCamp protector? Was it difficult to remove?
I had purchased a NinjaCamp protector before I received my Rush Pro. Trying to determine if it's worth the time and how much effort it would take to remove the black bumpers and put in the NinjaCamp.

It's time consuming. If you have a lot of experience fiddling with games, it's pretty straightforward. If not, you might find it frustrating since the PF is pretty busy in that area. For example, one of the nuts is so close to the metal ball guide, you can't simply use a standard nut driver. So having the right tools is important. Again, not that big a deal, but not a 15 minute job. Took me a couple hours despite being pretty experienced. The Ninja Camp installation guide is very well done...I should have read it more closely before making a couple mistakes

#7487 1 year ago
Quoted from Av8:

That helped. Found the burnt chip and connector on Node 10 board. I contacted Stern who told me to contacted my distributor for a warranty replacement of Node 10. This Rush LE only has 100 plays on it. [quoted image][quoted image]

Was your game missing this? Curious. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/115#post-6910252

#7522 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the only downside to the v3 stern fix that I can see is that you have to hit the ball directly into the lower scoop due to the bumper protectors. with the original design (just the metal cliffy-style scoop protection), you could roll a ball into the scoop from either side.
the ninja protector still allows the lower scoop to function the way that the game was originally designed and intended to play

Didn't the Stern original have the forks on either side to keep the cliffy-style from raising? (or was that v2...I forget).

In any event, the Ninja minimalist design looks better and appears to protect the holes just fine. Stern's v3 is over-engineered, ugly, and doesn't allow for a ball to roll in from either side. Just a mess IMHO.

#7539 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Got to play Rush at Pintastic. Couldn't hear the music very well in the show environment. Gameplay was amazing. Better than Mando. Better than Godzilla. Better than Toy Story. To me, it won the show as far as best overall pinball experience. I'm not a music pin guy but I would consider this as my first one. I kept getting drawn back to it not matter what else I played. Have to go with the premium but the pro was a ton of fun also.

Glad you liked it...not surprised. The expression lighting and choreography with the music are incredible. If you get a Premium, highly recommend the expression lighting (when it's available).

#7689 1 year ago
Quoted from Wicked-Flip:

You might think so and re re-reading my post it does seem like im super negative about the machine. I'm really not. This game is challenging me. It's the hardest game I've ever had. It's fast. Hard to get control. Hard to get the ball on the flipper I want (it's a pro so no VUK. Dead end returns the ball in a chaotic random way). It drains like there are magnets in the outlines. The left ramp rejects 9 of ten shots. Ect.
In an hour of play I'll have a bunch of games between 3 and 20 million then one great run between 100 and 300m. If I complete one mode it's a big deal. Haha. Full disclosure, I never death save. My games are on carpet and they don't slide at all.
I can get through Elviras house. Addams Mansion. This is the way on Mando. I used to crush my fish tales before I got rid of it. This Rush, though. It's kicking me in the balls. I'm making up new swear words every game but I keep pressing start and going again and again. Lol. Masochist!
I spent an hour trying to backhand that spinner yesterday. I managed to hit the right post at the bottom of the TM ramp a bunch but I couldn't hit the spinner lane. I checked the level and it's spot on. I dunno. The soul of my game is evil

Really odd. My LE is the fastest, yet most forgiving Borg pin in my collection (i.e. easiest, with fairly long ball times). I backhand the spinner easily...one of the more gratifying shots. Wonder if you need to dial down the flippers or tweak something else. I know when mine was slightly off level, I was getting some odd behavior.

#7805 1 year ago
Quoted from Animal:

I don't care, but the point is, it is not professional.

It's a Spooky employee, not Charlie (the founder). No big deal.

#7890 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I can confirm that my Rush Premium is not registering the loop shot most of the time. I'm going to start with the airball preventer and go from there with solutions as needed.
This seems to be a problem on most Rush games produced. Hard to believe they didn't catch this in the pre-production process.

I'm not surprised. My LE hasn't had this problem...hard to know how many suffer from this issue.

I'm more concerned about the Node 10 failures, since the fix is more costly and I'm not sure there is an explanation from Stern about what causes it. Hopefully it's just buggy boards and not something external to the boards that is causing the failure.

#8107 1 year ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Got a good look at my playfield today and noticed what looks like planking. Is this normal or something I should be contacting my dealer about? This is my first NIB. It doesn't look quite this bad in person, and it's relatively smooth, although I can feel the ridges in some spots and I can definitely see it depending on the light and angle.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not planking...just poor PF prep, common with newer Sterns. I had awful wood grain showing like this on my Iron Maiden...Stern doesn't consider this a problem.

#8128 1 year ago
Quoted from Fussa71:

I’m not sure if this issue has been addressed here, but on a fast shot up the Rush ramp (when diverting to the left) the ball is flying of the left ramp and onto the playfield. Could be a leveling issue.
Anyone else deal with this?

Happens very infrequently on my game...only when the ball is traveling at light speeds. I've turned my flipper power down, but the game still plays very fast/strong (which I like). I'm sure the habitrail can be bent/tweaked, but I haven't seen the need yet.

#8134 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

anyone have the right hand side pop bumper stick down? Have not taken a good look at it yet but thought perhaps an inherent problem mentioned somewhere before? cheers

Mine didn't have this problem, but I know many did (including my friend Greg). Here is a post he made awhile ago...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/31#post-6802915

#8198 1 year ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Rush is a ways out. Theyre making expression kits for the final Zeppelin run this fall. We're after that. Either end of year or 2023

Man, I'm glad I decided to splurge on the LE...the expression lighting (and programming) rocks. Also love the real backglass....

Quoted from swampfire:

It seems like the longer I’m away from it, the more Rush rewards me with great gameplay. I was 2 shots away from Cygnus X-1 last night, left with 450M but I was sweaty and happy.

It's one or Borg's most satisfying shooters for sure. My stock post locations are the lowest, so the ball times can be pretty long. Just don't have the motivation to move the posts yet.

#8296 1 year ago

I use translucent Titans on many of my games now. Years ago, use to fiddle with different colors, but keeping all the colors in stock just wasn't worth the effort.

The translucent posts and Ninja scoop also looks great. On this title, I simply used white Titan flipper rubber. Like the simplicity...

IMG_1218 (resized).jpegIMG_1218 (resized).jpeg
#8332 1 year ago
Quoted from Animal:

You have to take that with a grain of salt. No way GnR is better, let alone MB for that matter.

I traded my GNR LE after 6 months for a Rush LE...no comparison. Rush is a cohesive game that's a blast to shoot. Just had my best game (2.5B)...definitely a long shooter, but so much fun blasting out combos. Right flipper has so much to shoot for. My long GNR games were always "flat"...shot choreography sucked, scoring sucked. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and have never looked at the "ratings"...who gives a crap? I know what I like...don't need anyone else affirmation.

1 week later
#8497 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Thanks for letting me know that ads can be disabled.
I’m not touchy, just rubs me the wrong way when someone acts like I can’t have an opinion and then are white knighting For a stranger. If the guy who made the mod sees my comments and takes offense, then he’s the only one that really should even care.
Seems like you’re touchy because you bought the tacky mod and someone’s not patting you on the back saying it looks fantastic.

I didn't know ad's could be disabled either, so you indirectly provided a public service! fwiw, no doubt many mods are cringy...better to just ignore. If someone asks explicitly, fire away

#8624 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Anyone else having a hard time post passing from the right flipper ?

Yes...the only flipper I've ever had a problem passing. Glad to hear it's not just me

#8629 1 year ago
Quoted from Maken:

You should still be able to pass it over, but it's more of a bash it back into the inlane and then ski pass it over to the left type of deal.

For sure...that I'm able to do. Thanks...

#8690 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

What is up with quality of games of late? It seems like there are countless Rush and Godzilla machines coming into peoples homes with problems. I see over in the Godzilla thread some people are remarking about thin clear coat...

My GZ Premium landed a few days ago and was built 7/25/22. Game played great out of the box and the PF quality was consistent with my JP Premium built several years ago. Both PF's look great but have more of a matte/thin clear coat. No complaints so far.

Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

godzilla as a theme is terrible and dated, but that doesnt take away from the exceptional playfield design and layout for the pure pinball player.

I'm not a huge Godzilla fan, but it seems like a great pinball theme...many recently produced games have dated/retro themes.

1 week later
#8871 1 year ago
Quoted from etr104:

lol That certainly works, as does waiting for the ball search if you don't have a multiball on the go. But still, I'd like to know what I can do to solve this.

Happens on mine as well. Not aware of any solution. If it were simple, someone would have posted a fix by now.

#8912 1 year ago
Quoted from CrashJT:

Look at standard option #79 to turn off the tilt when the coin door is open. Will help you clear a lot of stuck balls without removing the bar and glass.
[quoted image]

Interesting, but wouldn't it just be more sensible for the code to (automatically) disable tilt coincident with a "ball search" kicking in? (and re-enbale tilt once the ball(s) is found).

#8932 1 year ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I believe the rationale is that ops might not want people being able to tilt the machine to clear a stuck ball, so it's left as an adjustment for people to choose how they want to handle it.

Trivial to add a setting called "Disable tilt coincident with ball search", which would default to "off" for ops. Done. No need to fiddle with the coin door.

#8985 1 year ago

Now that the side lock scoop defaults to "always", I've been noticing some wonky behavior (like the ball not being recognized). I have the new/improved subway switch, which I imagine will fix it...I've just been too busy with other things. Question: Is the ball lock mechanism really fun? Doesn't seem like it's that big a deal...thinking of simply disabling it for now (until I have the hood open for other reasons). Opinions?

#8998 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I personally love physical ball locks so I think it's worth doing the fix sooner rather than later.

Quoted from CrashJT:

I like the subway ball lock. This is the only pin that shoots 2 balls simultaneously. If you turn it off, you'll miss that feature. The premium/le have 2 Extra kickers, an opto and a switch to support this one-of-a-kind feature (that you paid for). Why even consider turning it off? Why not do the install? You'll be fine. Watch the video Stern's John Borg did. Read the manual. Give yourself 4 hours so you're not rushed, although it will likely take much less. One other tip, whenever you go to screw in any screws into the playfield, always put them into the existing hole and slowly turn them backwards (out) until they rise and pop into place, then slowly turn them clockwise to screw them in. This allows the thread of the screw to align with the previously cut threads. Same goes with screwing screws into the plastic opto that you'll have to screw into.

ok...so you guys motivated me I just finished the install (took about 1 hour). Thanks!

#8999 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

First, it's an easy swap to do and a good time to mylar the scoops. Really all the lock does is eject both balls at once, I believe, so not necessary to have it turned on if you don't want. I'd definitely do the ninja and mylar when you decide to tho,,

Yeah, I did the ninja scoop protectors a couple months ago...much more work than swapping out the scoop switch. At the time, the code default for the scoop lock was "never" (so I decided to wait).

#9035 1 year ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I am getting the dreaded “Operator Alert: Side Scoop Device Malfunction” today after taking things apart to replace the scoop protector. I had this problem a couple weeks ago and Stern said they were sending a replacement switch, but after I put everything back together this happened.
If I go into switch test both the opto and the switch register as they should, with finger pressure or a ball. However if I go into the Rush-specific Diana and pick “side scoop” it seems to always think a ball is there even when it isn’t. Seems like the switch might be stuck closed???
This whole mech has been very frustrating to troubleshoot, for a brand new game and what seems like a pretty simple mech![quoted image][quoted image]

I just installed the same switch yesterday and had the same issue. For me, the switch needed to be dialed-in by loosening the 2 screws and moving the switch as far away from the subway as possible. When it's too close, the switch activates...it's much more sensitive than other switches I've dealt with.

I'd be very surprised if the switch itself was defective...just try adjusting it. Good luck...

IMG_1465 (resized).jpegIMG_1465 (resized).jpeg
#9043 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Easy fix, had to do this on my Rush too after pulling the scoops to add protectors, change the switch, etc. Whoever put my machine together stripped a number of them.
Take some bamboo skewers, put two or three in the offending screw hole, use some side snips to cut them flush, and then use some super glue (I prefer gorilla super glue) to bond them. Wait an hour and you should be good to go.

I simply put a nice round toothpick in the hole, break it off and screw away. Dealing with any glue for putting a screw back is really unnecessary. For larger screws, sometimes doubling up the toothpick is necessary (but quite rare). FWIW, I've been working on games for ~20 years.

#9117 1 year ago
Quoted from kbenson13:

I have the same issues and am hopeful someone has some suggestions on how to mitigate this. It's super frustrating when the gate sticks and my shot rejects. I have a hard enough time making that shot!

What gate sticks? Confused.

#9136 1 year ago
Quoted from Wicked-Flip:

I've typed up dozens of rants then deleted them before posting because I like to stay as positive as possible. Not easy in the current enviornment of inflated prices and low quality.
Truth is Stern (JJP too) is really dropping the ball a lot. I won't put the Rush Pro I have on location bc I haven't been able to go 25 consecutive plays without taking the glass off to fetch a stuck ball. I've had to dissemble and adjust major components to get them working. The upper parts of the PF are a mess of bad geometry.
The code is fun. The layout concept is excellent. The assembled product is just not great.
It's shouting at the rain. Maybe Stern will one day hear us and put more care into the games before boxing them up and stamping them done.
Probably not, though.

Kind of surprised to hear this. My Rush LE build has been solid...the only stuck balls I get are on the moving ramp (and a ball search takes care of that). Since the Pro's typically have less mechs they are usually more solid than the Premium's/LE's. As far as geometry goes, my Rush rocks...one of the best shooting games ever (and I have a Borg heavy lineup). MUCH kinder and gentler than TRON...

#9221 1 year ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Yeah that thought crossed my mind... since it WAS a new hole that had to be created... so I completely took that red screw out (temporarily) and left that side of the bracket unattached, and nothing changed with this behavior. While I was at it I also loosened up some of the other wood screws on the switch side to see if any of them would effect any change and none of that helped either.
I KNOW that this is a self-induced problem because what used to happen is that this was an intermittent problem where the game would occasionally be unaware of a ball in the scoop, but I didn't get the operator alert. It's only since I removed the whole assembly to put in the NC scoop protector that it has become a 100% persistent problem.
When I have the whole assembly out of the game and still cabled, I can feel one of the coils pulse (but not fire) 8 or 10 times immediately before the operator alert comes on the screen. If I remove the switch from the assembly (but still have it plugged in) I never feel this pulsing happen and the game starts normally.

Man, you've really had a tough time with this "upgrade". Are you the first owner? Have you asked your distributor for help? Swapping a part like this should be fairly straightforward...maybe time to get some local help?

2 weeks later
#9515 1 year ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

All we know is that Stern likes making money, and they know how to do it - if they could sell RUSH EL kits right now and turn the profit one can assume they make from a couple LED strips, art, and a node 2 board, they absolutely would.

Companies that truly like making money are skilled at operations (to fulfill the orders in the pipeline). You speak as if building these high-margin items isn't within their control, which is ludicrous. It is in their control! They just don't have an organization focused on meeting customer demand for these items.

That said, I would contend Stern doesn't like making money on accessories! I don't usually buy LE's, but bought Rush LE solely because I knew they wouldn't produce the EL kits in a timely fashion. I feel bad for all the Premium buyers that are waiting...bummer.

#9526 1 year ago
Quoted from kmad:

I need some help. My right flipper has started sticking after about 2000 plays. Went to order new coil stops and sleeves before i start taking it apart and saw conflicting part numbers/sizes on the coils sleeves. Also any recommendations on best quality. I was looking at Pinball life and Marco Everything Pinball.

I've ordered coil stops from both PBL and Marco and never noticed a difference in quality. PBL is typically a bit less expensive IIRC.

#9577 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

But until that happens, they shouldn't be making rules tweaks that do that. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the rules tweak, but it needs to wait to happen until Stern's got all the machines working properly.
(Unless of course their intent is to drive business to the third-party mod makers who are profiting from Stern's error. I doubt that's the case. I doubt Stern cares one way or the other about those businesses. But that's the only reason I can see that would logically justify Stern's choice to make this rule change now before they've got the machine fixed.)

I've been buying NIB Stern games for 20 years. The notion that Stern needs to get "all the machines working properly" is unlikely to happen. Tuning games to work perfectly is a function of Stern, modders and owners. To be honest, over my 20 years, the community is usually doing the heavy lifting on figuring out problems and coming up with solutions. Sure, it's an imperfect world, but that's why it's a great hobby...for people that don't want to get their hands dirty, I understand it can be frustrating. You are fairly new here, so it's not too surprising that you are unaware of some of this history...

fwiw, my game doesn't have any problem with the inner loop. I don't believe Stern has even issued a "Service Bulletin" on the inner loop...like they did with the physical ball lock that required an updated switch.

#9582 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

The problem for me is the assumption that all the owners with defective machines are just going to go to the third-party commerce sources for a fix, with Stern doing nothing more than absolving themselves of any responsibility on the matter.
And for what it's worth, I do have a reply via my distributor directly from Stern saying that they are aware of the problem and that their "engineering team is looking into a fix". Now, that may very well be slimy corporate double-speak for "don't hold your breath". But I'd like to think they can be taken at their word and they will eventually provide support to those with affected machines. And given that, I don't think it's asking too much for them to hold off on changes to the software that make the shot more important than it already is (it's bad enough that it's how to increase the bonus multiplier) until they actually do have a fix available to owners.
I can be plenty patient waiting for Stern to address the issue, and IMHO it's reasonable to expect the software team to be at least as patient about it as I am being.

Well, the world you desire isn't reality, unfortunately (but I do understand your frustration!). The software team just delivered "1.0", which is ~9 months after the release of the hardware IIRC. Expecting them to "be patient" is silly, really...we, the buyers have been patiently awaiting the 1.0 release. Each of our games has different idiosyncrasies, some people had problems with one of the pop rings sticking...which I didn't have either. Should the software folks turn off the pop closest to the VUK until "engineering has a fix" for games that have this issue? Of course not. Did Stern even issue a bulletin? I don't believe so...

What games have you owned NIB? I don't believe the other manufacturers (of new games) are any better (than Stern). Dialing in a game is pretty standard for all manufacturers. Stern is arguably the most prolific pinball manufacturer over my 20 years...

#9703 1 year ago

Man, I love the shots and combos in this game (like a Borg greatest hits layout).

My only complaint (as far as the rules go), is almost every mode seems to have almost every shot lit! Am I missing the wisdom here? What's cool about every shot yearning to be hit

#9706 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Looking at the two philosophies, the main advantage I can see for limiting specific modes to specific shots would be to give the player an opportunity to have at least one or two modes they can easily complete, i.e. the ones that have the shots that are easier for them. And I'd agree that from an accessibility point of view, there's some value in that.

From my perspective, it's the opposite. The more lit shots, the easier it is to progress through a mode. For Rush, they just seemed to increase the number of shots which increases the time/difficulty. A matter of shot volume vs. shot placement. Rush is a very, very forgiving game (unlike Borg's TRON). One of the reasons I think it's so loved is it makes people feel good (about their play I've played more TRON than any other game and I have many games that last 1-2 minutes With Rush, a game I've owned months (not years) a "bad" game takes 5-6 minutes. A good game is 15-30 minutes, which is fairly common. For me, a 15-30 minute game on TRON is rare...

#9712 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

I know, I keep considering it
But then have to move/sell my Premium.
And geographically Canada is a smaller/tougher/different market than the USA hotspots. Then added $ exchange rate, border cross etc.
Seems either you get an LE on list at MSRP or get thrown to the flippers… which in CAD$ It’s just not even remotely fun lol
Thnx for the idea tho. Believe me I’ve been contemplating it for a while.
I love this pin That much. It’s something very special and “underrated” as you said.
If I could pull off the change, I’d do it.

I don't think it's underrated as a game. Most of the pinheads I know admit it's a fun game to shoot...they just don't dig the band/license. Rush has a huge fanbase, but it might not intersect much with people that would consider a wildly expensive toy. Beatles is a timeless band/license, but the game didn't sell that well. Sure, pinheads can criticize Beatles as a game, however Stern didn't make that many and they still had a problem moving them...they were unable to reach the millions of potential Beatles buyers.

I paid $11,400 for my LE, which is considered a bargain in today's LE marketplace.

#9750 1 year ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Can someone please start a new thread entitled, "Hey Stern where the heck is the Topper & more importantly Expression lighting!" ?!

What's worse than the Expression Lighting delay is the absolute silence from both Stern and it's distributors. Given past history, I paid up for the LE because I saw this coming (though it's worse than I thought), so it doesn't effect me. Nevertheless, I feel bad for the community that supports Stern and then gets ignored on support issues like this (among others, like having to wait months for a replacement board). If they were a consumer friends company, they'd have a friggin website where you could purchase node boards, expression lighting, etc. without going through distributors (that rarely have stock of anything). If distributors did stock these items, it wouldn't be as big a deal. End rant

#9772 1 year ago
Quoted from Dobler:

So I’d say first of all that the two machines go great together so definitely go for it! After just having bought my GnR LE I just couldn’t make a Rush Premium or LE happen so I got a Pro. I love this machine so much that I really want to upgrade to a Premium or LE, but I just don’t see it happening, and to be honest I really don’t feel like I’m missing much (unlike most Stern Pros). I do intend to get expression lighting, topper, and a shaker motor and I will still be ahead plenty of $$. I like the LE art package better and resale value is better so if I had the budget I’d get that. I ordered on release day and if I had known how much I would like the game (I bought it for the theme) I probably would have tried harder to find a way to make a Premium work, but I’m still very happy with my Pro. Rush is by far my favorite shooter of all time and I hate to admit it but I rarely play GnR now.
[quoted image]

Not surprised your GNR isn't getting much love now that Rush is in the house. I sold my GNR LE after a few months of trying to love it...in the end, the game just isn't for me (biggest complaint is the arcane scoring...). Sold my GNR LE for 9.5k and picked up Rush LE for 11.4. Very happy with the "trade". Food for thought. Rush LE is still fairly priced for LE's...might think of upgrading

#9773 1 year ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

I think to trade my Tron for a Rush. Playfield is very similar (mirrored Xmen sort of). I have no doubt about flow, but i have about code. I love Tron because the code is simple but very addictive, shallow but fun. But how is the Rush code? I had a BK Pro whith same programmer (Sexton) and i think the code sucks.

That's a valid concern (I own/love both TRON and Rush). I find the Rush code to be a bit repetitive...many of the song modes seem the same (with all the shots lit). Fortunately, the expression lights, amazing shot/combo feel make up for the repetitive rules. If the layout wasn't so stunning, the rules would be more of an issue (for me, at least). Rush is a much longer playing game than TRON, fyi.

#9784 1 year ago

Love my rock and roll games...finally they are all together in one room. I've owned both GNR's, Aerosmith, Beatles...these 4 are my favorite.

Not surprisingly, the great Lyman Sheats (LFS) was involved in 3 out of 4 of them...the rules maven!

IMG_1642 (resized).jpegIMG_1642 (resized).jpeg
#9789 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

ACDC and Met are still 2 of the greatest games of all time. I didn’t realize LFS was involved with Kiss?

I don't believe he was formally recognized, but believe he led the infamous massive 1.4 update (that dropped 12 months after 1.3) that took it from "meh" to "wow".

#9833 1 year ago
Quoted from H3XAG0N:

My upper scoop protector has some weird discoloration in spots. Not sure if this is dents or corrosion? Is Ninjacamp still considered the best protector available? Has anyone here had the stern v3 fix on for a while before swapping? Any shot geometry changes?
[quoted image]

Ninja working great for me (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/145#post-6984075). Stern's V3 is fugly and prevents the ball from going in the scoop from the sides IIRC.

#9836 1 year ago
Quoted from Bill2112Rush:

“Hi, my name is Bill and I’m suffering from Node 10 failure”.
*sigh*
Not really understanding any of this, is there something I did to cause the board to fry? Played too many games in a row? Left the machine on too long? Powered up/down incorrectly?
A little background: it’s got the most recent software update and about 1000 plays. No mods (other than the NC loop and plunger correctors).
Mid game, the center ramp wouldn’t come up. Powered it down and saw the red warning.
Sure enough:
[quoted image]
This is the board number:
[quoted image]
My distributor is working with me to get a replacement. Anybody have insight as to what causes it or how to prevent it?

Considering how long the game as been out and the frequency of the Node 10 boards failing, it's kind of disgraceful that Stern and it's distributors don't have a definitive answer to this. Pinside shouldn't have to figure this type of issue out!

Since other recent games (like GZ) use the same platform and boards, it seems like this issue might be more Rush specific? If Node 10 boards fail more uniformly across other games, it's more likely to be cheap board failure? Man, I hope Stern is looking into this...

#9841 1 year ago
Quoted from orangedude71:

there was something in the newest software update that addressed something on the clock. I bet they hoped that this would address this, but clearly its not. I just got my node 10 board two days ago after waiting for almost 3 months. I have chosen to disconnect the clock for now and run it only with the ramp for a few weeks. If i lose another node 10 board now, it would most likely be the ramp motor. If after i plug in the clock, and then the node 10 board goes, ill be asking for a new clock motor. Thats how im handling it.. Also.. no mods for me other than playfield protector

Sorry to hear you had to wait 3 months...awful. Assuming you bought it NIB, shame on the distributor for not pulling strings to get you the board in a more timely fashion. I've never waited that long for a part, but I guess Stern and distributor will blame COVID supply constraints...whatever.

#9852 1 year ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I believe that this has been mentioned in previous threads but not directly addressed. I own an IMDN Prem (it's not leaving) and thinking of adding a Rush Pro. I have played one on location and have really enjoyed it (and I am a Rush fan), but I worry that once I own it and the new game exploration period is over that I will find it to be just a shooter similar to IMDN but not as good and will want to move it. I prefer to buy thinking a game is a keeper, so I am reaching out to those of you who own both games or who have played both extensively to ask your opinion about having both in your home lineup.

Well, IMDN Premium wasn't a keeper for me and RUSH LE is, so there ya go. The only one that can answer this question is you...

#9899 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Which Pinwoofer setup do I need for the LE? Just the amp? Or the whole kit?

I recently installed the whole kit on my LE...sounds great. Recommend getting the Ground Loop Isolator...I needed it on both Rush and GZ to eliminate some very high pitched noise in the line (likely coming from the game, but who knows).

#9913 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Ordered the PinDefender shooter lane protector from Pinhead mods on here (pinside). Wanted to share the pics of how well the purple goes with the colors on the game.
Product works great too. And was an easy 5 minute install. Not bad for $15.00.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That mod looks awful and I imagine also changes the ball/shooter feel. For years, I've used self-adhesive laminating sheets (https://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-FEL5221501-5221501-Self-Laminating-Sheets/dp/B001HA4PXK/ref=sr_1_6) and my shooter lanes have remained pristine.

5 months later
#13192 1 year ago

Love the new "minimal" UI option.

One tweak would be nice (if anyone from Stern is listening. Since 1-player games are extremely common, I think it would be great to remove the player 2-4 "tabs" at the bottom. Jurassic park does this, and it's really nice (and it centers the single player score as well, which looks great and is easy to focus on).

IMG_2744 (resized).jpegIMG_2744 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#13795 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

The way I see it is the upgraded speakers will absolutely sound better. Costing 5% of what the whole machine cost, would it add 5% more enjoyment? Maybe, but not likely for me.
I've had killer audio systems at home and in my car, and this is what I've come to realize: Once you appreciate and get used to something, you care an awful lot less about upgrading it. I don't imagine people who have only heard a modern stock pin saying "Man, this really needs to sound better." Just like how practically nobody bought a pin and thought "Man, you know what this needs? Something on top of the backbox." without first seeing toppers. I don't fault anyone for wanting those things, but the fact that they're hyped up and normalized in our circles absolutely effects our impressions of them. For me, the only real exception is bass you can feel. During every game of a bass-heavy pin (Heist and Halloween come to mind), I appreciate it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if everyone's upgraded sound slowly reverted back to stock over time, few would notice.

I have PinWoofer on many of my games. Some games it makes a huge difference, others not as dramatic...it depends on the source. On games that have higher resolution audio content (like KISS, Rush), the difference is huge. On my STTNG, the difference isn't as dramatic (since it's an old game with no-so high resolution content). I considered investing in PinSound (which has insanely high resolution content for STTNG), but I decided against it.

Also important to note that not everyone has the same ears. For some folks, the stock audio sounds just fine. For other folks with great ears and a taste for great audio, the differences are more noticeable/dramatic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Lighting - Led
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

6,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersburg, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Virginia Beach, VA
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.