IMG_6410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2562 (resized).jpg
IMG_2578 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2574 (resized).jpeg
20240322_163542 (resized).jpg
20240322_163631 (resized).jpg
20240319_194137 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,884 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 358.
#4501 2 years ago

Success! Spent around 4 hours installing the playfield protector, Ninja scoops protector, felt pad switch maker and signals dalmation hydrant mod.

And spent most of last night celebrating by playing this most excellent game that I've found is Stern's answer to JJ's GnR.

This game plays awesome! And I can't tell the play difference with the playfield protector on. It feels the same as the few plays I had with no protector. =)

DSC06351 (resized).JPGDSC06351 (resized).JPGDSC06355 (resized).JPGDSC06355 (resized).JPGDSC06357 (resized).JPGDSC06357 (resized).JPGDSC06358 (resized).JPGDSC06358 (resized).JPGDSC06359 (resized).JPGDSC06359 (resized).JPGDSC06360 (resized).JPGDSC06360 (resized).JPGDSC06361 (resized).JPGDSC06361 (resized).JPG
#4502 2 years ago

I’m having a problem.
Hoping someone can help figure out what could be wrong.

My flipper buttons is at times (once every 5-7 pushes) triggering the right Ramp entry opto thus activating the diverter.

I have tried (in switch test mode) shaking and causing vibrations etc. Nothing.
Again pressing flipper button same thing activates R ramp entry opto/diverter

But nothing from shaking or vibrations.
Even pulling PF etc. No switch activation.

Even tried vibrations near opto, tapping it etc.
No activation.

Is there is a wired connection that could perhaps be the cause ? Or something I’m not accounting for?
Please advise thnx
78E5770F-10E2-4D5E-90D4-1ACDB28CD555 (resized).jpeg78E5770F-10E2-4D5E-90D4-1ACDB28CD555 (resized).jpeg

#4503 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Success! Spent around 4 hours installing the playfield protector, Ninja scoops protector, felt pad switch maker and signals dalmation hydrant mod.
And spent most of last night celebrating by playing this most excellent game that I've found is Stern's answer to JJ's GnR.
This game plays awesome! And I can't tell the play difference with the playfield protector on. It feels the same as the few plays I had with no protector. =)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work! I had GnR Le and was underwelmed. When I sold it there were only 125 plays. I much much prefer Rush. Yes, Im biased as a huge Rush fan and allot of the songs on GnR, their backtracks, were, lets say "wanting." Im sure if you put a GnR album beside a Rush album, the GnR album hole is liable to close out of embarrassment, lol...but I digress. So glad I dumped GnR for this pin...Borg has done it again!

#4504 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

I'd pull the crumpled Stern protector and lay Mylar down until you get the ninja.

~3 weeks in and mylar on the surfaces around the scoops, with $1.98 sally hansen hard as nails for the interior exposed wood in the hole is holding up great.

#4505 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Scoop protector looks friggin' awesome! Good work.

#4506 2 years ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

I’m having a problem.
Hoping someone can help figure out what could be wrong.
My flipper buttons is at times (once every 5-7 pushes) triggering the right Ramp entry opto thus activating the diverter.
I have tried (in switch test mode) shaking and causing vibrations etc. Nothing.
Again pressing flipper button same thing activates R ramp entry opto/diverter
But nothing from shaking or vibrations.
Even pulling PF etc. No switch activation.
Even tried vibrations near opto, tapping it etc.
No activation.
Is there is a wired connection that could perhaps be the cause ? Or something I’m not accounting for?
Please advise thnx
[quoted image]

The flipper leaf switches for the buttons are on node 8 and the opto you're talking about is on node 9, so unlikely to be some kind of node issue.

Go into switch mode and try wiggling the wires going into the opto emitter (one side) and the receiver (other side) to see if it exposes an inside the wire insulation intermittent connection (ie breaking wire). These Stern opto setups are pretty notorious for this. I hate them.

If not that loosen the opto and try to re-adjust so the emitter and receiver are better aligned. If their beam is hitting the edge of the hole for them in the ramp, it will also trigger them, and that alignment can change from use if they're not tight enough on their mounts.

#4507 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

This game plays awesome! And I can't tell the play difference with the playfield protector on. It feels the same as the few plays I had with no protector. =)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’m assuming most folks are removing the Stern “protectors” when they put these new ones on correct?

#4508 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Spent around 4 hours installing the playfield protector

Do you happen to have the link for the Rush playfield protector? Thank you.

#4509 2 years ago

Went to a wedding last night - all the tables were rock themed. Guess what table I was at?!

C6F4AE74-5735-4DA0-85AF-4422163B0471 (resized).jpegC6F4AE74-5735-4DA0-85AF-4422163B0471 (resized).jpeg
#4510 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Went to a wedding last night - all the tables were rock themed. Guess what table I was at?! [quoted image]

Now THATS a wedding I’d want to attend.
Nice!

#4511 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I’m assuming most folks are removing the Stern “protectors” when they put these new ones on correct?

Correct. Remove all of the Stern attempts and install this Ninja. I concur that this may be a game changer for scoop protection moving forward it is so good.

#4512 2 years ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Do you happen to have the link for the Rush playfield protector? Thank you.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/RlKho_Qk2kCBOijW6kDz5w?catgoryid=22&name=Rush%20%28Limited%20Edition%29%20%7C%202022%20%7C%20Playfield%20Protector

I did have to do some minor trimming of this playfield protector around the scoop holes as they were over haning the holes by a few millimeters and thus was effecting how the Ninja would lay down properly. But that protector is trimmed, everything else was spot on and the Ninja layed down there like it was made to be from the very beginning.

#4513 2 years ago

Update on this: I emailed [email protected] today (Sunday) and got a reply less than an hour later with a return shipping label, and confirmation that new parts have been ordered. Kudos to Adam Spreadbury at Stern, for his quick and positive response.

My free advice for anyone emailing Stern for support:

1. Include the part # that failed, the circumstances and how you diagnosed it (if possible).
2. Include your serial #, distributor and “born on” date
3. Include your full name and address, for shipping
4. Be polite and professional, this is absolutely not the time to complain.

I’ve been on both sides of this, and I can tell you, this works. When I used to manage a large software project, I quietly followed the message boards on our product. The posts I paid attention to were those that included all the info I needed to solve the problem, without bitching and moaning about how “the manager should be fired” (lol). I grew some pretty thick skin that year (2004), but I’m human, and we all like to be treated with respect.

Quoted from swampfire:

It’s been a frustrating weekend, but I’ve learned a lot about the dual stepper node board (Node 10 on Pre/LE). It has 2 stepper circuits, one for the clock minute hand, and one for the ramp. The ramp stopped working on my friend’s Rush LE, so I brought the Node 10 board from my Premium so his ramp would work for league tonight. His ramp did indeed work all night long, but now the clock stepper controller is dead on my node board 10. His is completely dead - neither the clock or the ramp work. I think we need to check 48V on his game.
I’ll write an email to Stern tomorrow for both boards. The schematic for this board (520-5781-02) isn’t online yet, but it looks like at least some of the parts are through-hole instead of SMD. Anyone else had this board fail (problems with the ramp or clock minute hand)?

#4514 2 years ago

Question for those with Expression lights and or experience installing them:

Would it be possible to only install One side?

ie if wanted to install Expression lights one side and another Blade on the opposing side.

#4515 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Update on this: I emailed [email protected] today (Sunday) and got a reply less than an hour later with a return shipping label, and confirmation that new parts have been ordered. Kudos to Adam Spreadbury at Stern, for his quick and positive response.
My free advice for anyone emailing Stern for support:
1. Include the part # that failed, the circumstances and how you diagnosed it (if possible).
2. Include your serial #, distributor and “born on” date
3. Include your full name and address, for shipping
4. Be polite and professional, this is absolutely not the time to complain.
I’ve been on both sides of this, and I can tell you, this works. When I used to manage a large software project, I quietly followed the message boards on our product. The posts I paid attention to were those that included all the info I needed to solve the problem, without bitching and moaning about how “the manager should be fired” (lol). I grew some pretty thick skin that year (2004), but I’m human, and we all like to be treated with respect.

Lucky for you… because my experience is stern requires the customer distributor to place advance replace purchase orders for expensive parts which slows things down and involves having to deal with multiple parties.

#4516 2 years ago

Speaking of Expression lights... I'm interested in installing them on my premium (maybe coming this month). Any word on when they might be available?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4517 2 years ago

I think Mirror Blades would be almost as good as expression lighting.
It would be great f it could be both. =)

#4518 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Another total accident of something I did for myself that turned into a thing, starting with either Metallica fuel gauge or Iron Maiden Lens Tree, I don't remember now. I learned a LOT about the process of how the sheets are made and best practices for the brackets over the years, out of necessity.
I DO try to keep the color brackets to just ones that improve the game aesthetic or functionality, though. Every white or clear PF lens doesn't have to be color. There are some I just left white because they're better. Case in point the line of inserts up the middle of Ghostbusters. I tried green gradients and pink gradients that got more saturated as you moved up the line and in the end, it just looked better white. So I left it. Godzilla has a few white inserts, but they look good as-is since it's such an otherwise colorful game. Left that one alone for the most part, too.

I've always felt your choices are really tasteful. I love the gradient on my Deadpool LE for the Boom rollovers.

#4519 2 years ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Question for those with Expression lights and or experience installing them:
Would it be possible to only install One side?
ie if wanted to install Expression lights one side and another Blade on the opposing side.

Do NOT do that. The expression lights aren’t the same on both sides. There are often different effects and colors on either side.

#4520 2 years ago
Quoted from Wicked-Flip:

Thought about doing one for the drop target area?

I've never quite understood what can happen with the drop target banks. I designed a rollover one about a year ago and then OutpostKodelia came along and made an improved model for it.

As I said before, I had good evidence (in my own games) to indicate that this solution would be an awesome solve for our protection needs but I didn't have the great partnership with OutpostKodelia to help me iterate and test MUCH faster!! Now that we're cranking on this stuff you might actually see my fabled shooter lane protector make it into the wild! The sky is the limit...well the 3D printers are the limit actually .

#4521 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I think Mirror Blades would be almost as good as expression lighting.
It would be great f it could be both. =)

No way. Expression lighting adds WAY more than mirror blades, especially as the animations are being tightened up to each song.

No as for WHEN the expression lighting kit is available for Pro/Prem, I have no idea.

#4522 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I've always felt your choices are really tasteful. I love the gradient on my Deadpool LE for the Boom rollovers.

I actually made two gradient versions for Deadpool's B-O-O-M inserts. Initially it was yellow on the B with a gradient into red on the M, but the M kind of got lost in the red GI on the shooter lane, so I ended up doing a yellow to orange to yellow version as well that has better visibility on the right side. But I left both up so people can choose which they prefer. Yellow to Red is still the most popular by about 4 to 1, though.

#4523 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or you could put that thing down, flip it and reverse it and print a mold instead to make a reusable form for something like Enduro Flex casting. It's pretty durable, so I *think* it might hold up better than the blue rubber and is an option if these TPU bumpers don't work out. Once you had molds made, you could crank a bunch of these out in parallel with no printing required.

I've thought about casting these a bunch of times. Right now for "small" batches I think the FDM style printing works really nice. At a larger scale, you're spot on...we would have to talk about ramping into something much better. I think we're really trying to dial this in and understand how to scale the business without nickel and diming everyone. The costly thing is production, packing, shipping, and time. The parts themselves don't break the bank, but all together it gets expensive. I think it makes more sense for us to try and bundle some of the future parts, but that still needs decided.

I know you know all of this...but I figured I'd just toss out some open commentary for others who haven't tried to scale a 3D print pinball business .

#4524 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I've never quite understood what can happen with the drop target banks. I designed a rollover one about a year ago and then OutpostKodelia came along and made an improved model for it.
As I said before, I had good evidence (in my own games) to indicate that this solution would be an awesome solve for our protection needs but I didn't have the great partnership with OutpostKodelia to help me iterate and test MUCH faster!! Now that we're cranking on this stuff you might actually see my fabled shooter lane protector make it into the wild! The sky is the limit...well the 3D printers are the limit actually .

Looking forward to your shooter lane protector! Sign me up. =)

#4525 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Wait so both your node 10 and your friends are toast, sounds like? What part are they replacing? Hopefully not just a new node 10 as that'll get fried too. Keep us up to date on how the underlying cause is diagnosed and resolved, please...

#4526 2 years ago

Finally put my ninja scoop on.
All I can say……. If it holds up, Ninja for the win!!! Excellent job!
My scoop wasn’t too bad because I got to it early by overlapping the edges with Mylar .
I kept the forks but, made sure to smooth down the top edges with a fine file

#4527 2 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Wait so both your node 10 and your friends are toast, sounds like? What part are they replacing? Hopefully not just a new node 10 as that'll get fried too. Keep us up to date on how the underlying cause is diagnosed and resolved, please...

The simplest explanation is that his LE has a bad PSU voltage, or a ground fault somewhere. I’ll definitely check everything going into node board 10 before I install his replacement board. Fortunately I have my Premium to compare it to.

#4528 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Do NOT do that. The expression lights aren’t the same on both sides. There are often different effects and colors on either side.

I think he just wants to know if it’s possible.

#4529 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

As I said before, I had good evidence (in my own games) to indicate that this solution would be an awesome solve for our protection needs but I didn't have the great partnership with OutpostKodelia to help me iterate and test MUCH faster!! Now that we're cranking on this stuff you might actually see my fabled shooter lane protector make it into the wild! The sky is the limit...well the 3D printers are the limit actually

I haven't seen or heard any problems in that spot but the ball does roll over the slot to get to the hidden target so I would guess the slot edges there might take some abuse over time.

I'm stoked about your scoop solution, though. I think you may have came up with a new industry standard with this. Can't wait to get mine and put it through the paces!

#4530 2 years ago
Quoted from upsfeedr:

Very nice keep us posted

Played a ton today. So far it’s working great
Cliffy set with sterns fork left in place.

533A076B-EF58-477A-8CE3-8CB0CE8DF3DF (resized).jpeg533A076B-EF58-477A-8CE3-8CB0CE8DF3DF (resized).jpeg
#4531 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Played a ton today. So far it’s working great
Cliffy set with sterns fork left in place. [quoted image]

Cliffy looks great, is he advising to keep the forks in? I think they will alter side sneak ins and damage the balls. But if needed, guess have to leave em in

#4532 2 years ago

Have a question…..
I installed the new scoop protector and I am experiencing more bounce backs from the scoop. I don’t think it’s because of the protector itself.
I see less give in the scoop itself now .
I also hear that ping noise.
Is it possible to have over tighten the nuts under the playfield?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4533 2 years ago
Quoted from J-drum11:

Have a question…..
I installed the new scoop protector and I am experiencing more bounce backs from the scoop. I don’t think it’s because of the protector itself.

Haven't seen that here, but I did put 2 washers under left side, to direct the ball to right flipper. Maybe that raised scoop up enough? But I dont think it a protector issue for you. Have not had 1 reject yet

#4534 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Haven't seen that here, but I did put 2 washers under left side, to direct the ball to right flipper. Maybe that raised scoop up enough? But I dont think it a protector issue for you. Have not had 1 reject yet

Well when I first installed everything, the scoop started shooting straight down the middle. I had to go back under loosing the nuts etc , twist the scoop mechanism clockwise and while holding in place i tightened everything and it shoots to right flipper again

#4535 2 years ago

Shim it up, never sdtm again

#4536 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Shim it up, never sdtm again

That’s a good trick to know but I’m good now

#4537 2 years ago
Quoted from J-drum11:

Have a question…..

Which scoop, top or bottom?

Slo-mo film it with a camera phone to see what might be causing it.

#4538 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Which scoop, top or bottom?
Slo-mo film it with a camera phone to see what might be causing it.

Lower . Hmmm great idea!!
I’ll do that tomorrow
Thank you

#4539 2 years ago

One of you lawyer bastards needs to get up with Ninjacamp on that free advice as he needs to patent/trademark his shit asap.
Many thanks for the ingenuity

#4540 2 years ago

I mean, you do realize that Stern has already stolen this right? I'll still be a Ninjacamp customer for life, as will many others.

#4541 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

One of you lawyer bastards needs to get up with Ninjacamp on that free advice as he needs to patent/trademark his shit asap.
Many thanks for the ingenuity

It's really not practical on a product this niche. Legal costs will substantially reduce or obliterate (depending on demand) the income from the item. Plus there is prior art from Cliff (the OG) and Stern and JJP with the only change being the material (a kind of plastic, but mylar is a plastic with extensive prior art with this use, too), which may not be enough to successfully defend the patent even if it IS awarded.

And policing patents you own can be a VERY EXPENSIVE enterprise. There's a company I bought stock in with a seminal patent on DDR memory that underlies every stick sold since DDR2 that EVERYONE that used DDR2 and up (computers, phones, servers, EVERYTHING) owes royalties to. Google was shown the tech and ripped it off, got tremendously wealthy with the speed advantages and spent the last 13 years trying to bankrupt the company so they did not have to pay royalties. That is JUST now getting to a money judgment trial after finally getting a guilty verdict against google who exhausted all appeals last year. And this is on a patent worth tens or hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars. 13 years. Tens of millions spent to get justice.

So yeah, it's not an easy road, or a cheap road (or a recommended road, here), and if Stern wants to dick them around like they did to Cliffy with his OG protectors they flat out ripped off, there's little they can do about it without a LOT of money, probably more than they will make from these and related products. Essentially they just have to rely on the quality of their product and the propensity of the pinball community to support originators that move pinball forward.

#4542 2 years ago

PinMonk you are my favorite modder. I installed (and tested!) 3 of your quiet fans this weekend, and I’m incredibly grateful for the silence! (all my Spike games are on right now, and I can’t hear them). Your color mods for Stranger Things and Rush are frankly “must have”, and playing un-modded examples of these games fucks me up.

I just want to mention the other side of the patent equation: patent trolls. In my past life, I wrote software for cable set top boxes (which are about to be obsolete, thank god). But back in the day, we fought companies like GemStar about stupidly specific patents like “when I bring up the program guide, I want to be on my current channel at the current time”. Other companies ignored the patents, and GemStar sued them. It was just a really dumb time, and I spent endless hours on calls with TiVo while my group was coding our DVR application (remember hard drives and DVR??). I had to spend a week in depositions because I sent an email explaining how our competitors were beating us by ignoring patents (we had bought that competitor by then).

I can’t complain too much, because I wrote 20+ equally stupid patents at $2k a pop (they paid for finishing my basement). But it’s a war of lawyers, and only the lawyers win. I mean, I really can’t complain AT ALL because I have the best pinball collection all of that annoying shit could buy. Rush is just the jar of cherries on top of a great 20+ years.

#4543 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

PinMonk you are my favorite modder.

I appreciate the sentiment. It's all the better since this pinball mod thing was a complete accident for me. I mean, I made the characters and name, etc, but the mods themselves just kind of happened out of my OCD mixed with pinball.

Quoted from swampfire:

Your color mods for Stranger Things and Rush are frankly “must have”, and playing un-modded examples of these games fucks me up.

This is a hilariously frank quote that made me laugh, but I completely know what you mean. When I see streams with Iron Maiden with white mode inserts or a Deadpool with white multiplier inserts and character mode inserts it just looks WRONG. Basically any of the ones I've done, but especially those.

Quoted from swampfire:

I just want to mention the other side of the patent equation: patent trolls.

Additional info on this other aspect of the patent subject is appreciated, too.

#4544 2 years ago

Now working on the topper. Just ordered this mini R40 retro kit, the craftsman's is impressive...

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpgjhkfgd (resized).jpgjhkfgd (resized).jpg

#4545 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Now working on the topper. Just ordered this mini R40 retro kit, the craftsman's is impressive...
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's pretty cool. Where did you buy it?

#4546 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

That's pretty cool. Where did you buy it?

I know right! Replica R40 retro kit, right down to the tubular bells. He has other Peart kits, but would be hard to fit on the top of a back box!

https://www.miniatureinstrument.com/

#4547 2 years ago

Finally getting my Premium on Thursday. Wondering whether I should do a shaker or not?

Is a shaker a must have or meh on Rush?

#4548 2 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Finally getting my Premium on Thursday. Wondering whether I should do a shaker or not?

Must!

#4549 2 years ago

Very well integrated. Really adds a lot.

#4550 2 years ago

I put one in my pro. Very easy to install and definitely a nice premium feature. Recommended!

Quoted from Animal:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, WASHINGTON
$ 194.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

6,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersburg, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

There are 17,884 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 358.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/91?hl=aniraf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.