pasted_image (resized).png
FMdTpi7WQAcytJo (resized).jpg
D25927CF-D80B-46DE-BF98-43DB836FF9DE (resized).jpeg
77985EC1-96B2-43F9-8009-5040CF791432 (resized).png
A6E69789-7B41-498A-A639-D08B0D8CDB89 (resized).jpeg
20211207_205614 (resized).jpg
20211130_180127 (resized).jpg
5q2yk2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gov.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#469 2 years ago

Picked up a PS5 from my buddy recently. I skipped out on the PS4 so I am looking forward to going through that catalog while I wait for more PS5 proper games. I have Returnal and love it so far and I will be getting Ratchet and Clank at some point.

As for PS4 games I am starting with Spider-Man and then moving on to Horizon and God of War.

#486 2 years ago

Finished the Spiderman Remastered Story today. I really liked it but didn't love love it. It felt like AC: Odyssey in a Spiderman skin, which is a good thing as AC Odyssey is one of my favorite games ever. I am just not a huge Spiderman fan in general and prefer the setting of ancient Greece to NYC. That said, I am looking forward to playing Miles Morales, but I will come back to it later.

I did start the PS4 Ratchet and Clank and I am really enjoying it a lot. Also still plugging away at Returnal.

#487 2 years ago

I am selling Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate and FIFA 21 NXT LVL Edition if anybody is interested in them or working a trade. DLC codes are unclaimed and still good.

$90 for both shipped in the US.

Interested in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart or FFVII Remake Intergrade in trade. Both MK and FIFA for 1 of these.

3 weeks later
#488 2 years ago

Any other Nioh 2 fans out there? I tried it on PSNow and have fallen for it. I never gave the series a look as the theme never grabbed me, but I was very wrong. Excellent presentation and the combat is a more fun souls like. I really should have finished Demons Souls before starting this one. The combat is so much better and the story isn’t as bland. The PS5 update is very good as well.

#499 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've put in lots of hours into Nioh 1 and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've gotten Demon's Souls for PS5 and it is sooo frustratingly difficult to make any real progress in that game imo. Stats don't move a lot and if you are stuck trying to get past a part, you get stuck hard.
At least with Nioh, there's a bit of grinding you can do, and lots of more options as far as equipment/magic/loadout, that if one way doesn't work you can try numerous other ways. You can't do that with Demon's Souls for a little bit of progress that I've made in that game. Probably have put in 15-20 hrs and still have just beat the first boss. Just makes to hard to want to pick up with so little progress after such long game time. I like difficulty in my games, but this takes it to another level.

Yup I am the same. I haven’t beaten the tower night yet. If the combat was a little more refined I would enjoy it more. It just seems the timing doesn’t make sense to my brain. Nioh 2 it just clicked for me and a lot of people say it is harder than souls games. I don’t think so at all.

I started God of War, while I am enjoying it, it is way more linear than I thought it would be. The combat is fine but nothing super exciting. It’s is very pretty tho.

I really like returnal a lot but I am going to wait on the save game patch to play it more as I have had 3 very frustrating crashes deep into runs.

#514 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not arguing that Nintendo makes record profits. My point is that they focus more on profit than making great games

Um…what?!

#515 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

GoW is probably one of my top 3 games all time. It's so good! As noted by jayhawkai it opens up a bit once you get your boat but it is still relatively linear without any major side quests. That's ok in my book because for games like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn (both of which I loved) or BotW, they are too open for my personal taste and the side quests just become optional collect-a-thons that don't really add to the main narrative. Some of that is ok, but a game can be too open imo. For that reason, I haven't played BotW for more than 25 or so hours.
There is some joy in being able to wander around and doing whatever you want, but there are times where I just want some direction, especially if I put a game down for some time and completely forget wth I'm doing lol.

I love open world games as well as linear games. For some reason GOW hasn’t grabbed me yet. The combat might have a lot to do with it right now. I am heavy into Monster Hunter Rise and Nioh 2 right now, which are a lot more engaging combat wise. Not saying I don’t like it. Just not as much as I thought I would.

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've only tried a little bit of Monster Hunter in a demo, and felt that the combat was less refined than Nioh or GoW Nioh is very much precision and accuracy (in the same vein as the Souls games) and can be pretty methodic. GoW is not as methodic, but imo I think it's very satisfying. Especially once you start upgrading your stats. I think it's super fun, very refined, and a good bit challenging too later in the game without getting into spoiler territory Hopefully you can make it that far! GoW and Horizon are the 2 main reasons why I wanted to get a PS5. Usually, with past PS console launches, I've always waited to move "next gen" until after the revision, but this time around, I didn't want to miss on those 2 titles. They're that good!

I will complete the game. I like the game, just not as interesting gameplay wise as I was anticipating I guess. I am about 7-8 hours in so far. Monster Hunter is a game full of boss fights and that is why I enjoy it I think. It has a good gameplay loop for me. It isn't for everybody.

Some people love Nintendo for what they are and I am one of them. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Maker 2 etc are some of my favorite games ever. They can make the same kind of games forever and I will be happy b/c they are the kind of games I enjoy. I get what you are saying and they fill a need for a lot of people. They don't have to compete with Sony or MS and I don't think they should try. They are doing fine.

#534 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

FYI if you have game pass, all the yakuza games are free right now. I know this is the PlayStation thread, but it might save some of you some money if you didn’t know that.

That is where I tried them. They are not for me but I can see how they have a following.

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No game pass for me...yet.
I'll have to give it a shot some time. Seems like it doesn't take itself too seriously, which I always appreciate.

That is the one thing I did like about the one I played. It had a serious story but didn’t make it feel like it had to be that dire for every part of the game. Some parts are genuinely hilarious.

1 week later
#538 2 years ago

Finished the story on God of War. It was a good ride didn’t realize the final battle was the final battle at the time. Felt like there should have been more but we will get that in the next one. Loved the story and the look of the game tho. The endgame realms weren’t really that interesting for someone that isn’t going to mess with NG+ I feel.

Ratchet and Clank is next.

1 week later
#539 2 years ago

Just finished my first playthrough of Demon's Souls. It is my first 'soulsborne' experience and it was a great one. First of all it is the most visually immersive game I have ever played and the art direction was incredible. I liked the story even though it wasn't really in your face like most games these days. It is a sad story that lets you kind of decide how it ends. Took me a while to get a hang of things but I loved it. Will definitely be playing through it again. I know it has its flaws with gimmicky bosses and what not, but the overall experience was so fun. Look forward to playing more in the genre.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I've played them all since the original PS3 Demon's Souls and love the series. I just snagged a ps5, so I'll be making my way through the remake at some point soon. My favorite souls game is Bloodborne by far. I'm always hoping for a sequel of some kind.

Yeah I am going to hold out for the rumored Bloodborne remaster. I know everybody played the original at 30 FPS but I tried and it just bugged me too much. DS3 and Sekeiro are 60 fps at least. I am going to finish Nioh 2 before hopping into another soulsborne tho. Hard to go back to that 30 fps life unless it is the Switch.

#549 2 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Just ordered a PS5 for October. Also ordered BF2042.
Any absolute gems that I should consider or accessories?
Gonna be a busy later half of the year for me and my hobbies.
Woo Hoo

A second controller. Battery life isn’t great in them. I really like the 3D pulse headphones. They sound good and work great with the PS5.

As for games, same as what Fatpanda said. If you missed the PS4 there are a ton of great games already included with PS+ to keep you busy for months. As for PS5 exclusives, Ratchet and Clank and Demons Souls are both incredible imo. Returnal is awesome but not for everybody. Do your research on that one first. Spider-Man Remastered is worth buying if you haven’t played it. It comes with one of the Miles Morales editions.

#556 2 years ago

Different types of games for all types of people. Just like pinball machines

I don't really consider it wasted time if I enjoyed it. I enjoy getting better at stuff and 'figuring' it out. The difficulty makes games like Demon's Souls and Returnal rewarding and fun for some of us and annoying for others.

Quoted from FatPanda:

To contrast, in GoW the Valkyrie battles are hard as hell, but they were FUN! and they were beatable once you learned how to read each Valkyrie and their attack patterns. Difficult but doable.

I mean, this is the essence of soulslikes, just every enemy needs to be figured out

#559 2 years ago

I would be buying it for PS5 if I didn’t have a Series S already and it will be on Gamepass. I have about 50 hours on PC and Switch. Such a great game. Too bad no cross save tho on Xbox or ps5.

#567 2 years ago

The effects are subtle in Demons souls but nothing to showcase. Returnal and Ratchet and Clank utilize the dualsense features well. I will say I picked up a Series S recently and the Xbox controller feels like a toy compared to the dualsense. I also find the Xbox controller uncomfortable after an hour or so.

#568 2 years ago

Finished up Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. All in all, it was very good. Incredible looking game and I liked the story and new characters a lot. It was ultimately a bit short but chasing platinum should pad that a bit. For comparison the PS4 RnC clocked in at about 11 hours for me to complete the story. This game was 7 hours. While appreciate the shortness due to my backlog, I was left wanting a bit more.

On to FFVII Remake

#578 2 years ago

Playing Hades again on gamepass. I have been playing since early access so a lot of the early game is a bit different now with added assets and VO. They have added so much and it is such an incredible game. All time great and happy more people are getting to experience it. Hades and Dead Cells are two games I can see playing for years to come. They are my go to games if I only have 30 min or an hour to play.

#579 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Damn. Too bad it's so short. At full retail @ $70, you'd think it would have a bit more playtime than that! Not that dollars equate to game length, but to a certain degree, you'd expect a little bit longet playthrough.

I get that criticism but I am still very happy with it. I wasn’t sad that it was short bc I felt ripped off, I was sad there wasn’t more because I loved it so much

#582 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I just received my PS5 this week! First game I bought was Ratchet and Clank. Are there any games you recommend in particular?
Note I see mention of Hades - Great game. I have it on my Nintendo Switch, and enjoy the handheld format of that gametype.

Depends on what you like. Did you have a PS4? etc.

Quick ones: Demon's Souls (if you like Dark Souls), Spiderman Remastered/Miles Morales, God of War.

2 weeks later
#586 2 years ago

Pretty good showing today from Sony, even if stuff is a ways out. KotOR remake is intruiging.

#596 2 years ago

I once played through the original Demon's Souls solo offline and found it to be quite manageable (especially compared to my failed solo Dark Souls attempt). That was several years ago and maybe I'm a much worse player now, but there have been some struggles on my first playthrough of the remake. Though I did make it through the Maneater boss solo on the remake, so I'll give myself some credit. Just a couple bosses to go.

Nice. Maneater and Firelurker are the hardest bosses to solo IMO. Maneater is probably a bit more dangerous b/c he can bop you off the bridge. Even if the bosses are a bit easy, Demon's Souls is still an amazing experience. I am almost done with Dark Souls Remastered and wow it has been incredible. I just wish it looked as good as Demon's Souls

#598 2 years ago

Are you finding that there are enough players still to co-op on Dark Souls Remastered? Dark Souls at least gives some opportunities for NPC summons for some of the bosses, but once I got to Ornstein and Smough on my solo run, I figured it wasn't going to work out for me. It's so frustrating getting that far and hitting that wall. My Switch experience with Dark Souls remastered was that there weren't enough players, and I similarly hit an O&S wall.

I played on PC and never found an issue summoning help or being summoned until I reached the endgame. By then I didn't really need it. I think the only boss I actually got frustrated and resorted to summoning actual players for help was Quelaag. There is an NPC you can summon for O&S that really makes the fight pretty easy. If you can get a crystal weapon it helps a lot with them as well. I beat Dark Souls last night. Loved 95% of it. There were some annoying places and enemies, but it is an all time classic for sure. Will make my way through 2 and 3 as well.

3 weeks later
#599 2 years ago

So that Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty good

#601 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm not a big gamer, but that might be the best game I've ever played.

Yeah I was on a Dark Souls kick and needed a break before diving into DS3 again and decided to finally play Horizon. It took a bit for the combat to click, but I am really enjoying and I am enjoying the world and story more than I thought I would.

#603 2 years ago

Yup. Just finished the base game today. Just need to finish the DLC stuff now. I liked it in almost every way more than I did God of War. Only thing it lacked was the transitions on cut scenes. They were jarring at times. Very much looking forward to the Forbidden West. Also playing on the PS5 made the game look amazing. 60fps rock solid. Hard to believe the game is almost 4 years old.

#606 2 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Any thoughts on Deathloop? I was thinking about trying it out.

Haven't played it myself, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I will probably play it on PC someday though as I still can't do FPS with a controller. Funny enough 3rd person is fine. Go figure.

#608 2 years ago

I was lucky enough to snag it when Sony was giving it away for free back last year maybe. I didn't even have a console at the time, but I claimed it knowing I was going to be getting a PS5 at some point. Glad I did.

#611 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys have me thinking I should give Horizon another try. I tried it once already and it just felt like a standard bloated open world game with millions of pointless errands to run. How many hours are you guys putting in?

About 40 to beat the main game with doing some of the side quests. Not a ton. If you don’t like these kinds of games not sure anybody will sway you. Spider-Man, Assassins Creed, HZD all have the same structure. I will say that the side missions in HZD seem a bit more meaningful and do have some bearing on the final battle.

I will try and go through and complete most of the rest of them now as I enjoy the world and the story so much. First game I have played where I actually took the time to read all of the found messages and history stuff.

#613 2 years ago

The only thing I don’t like about the combat is not having the ability to lock on. With enemies that are jumping at you a lot it can be easy to lose them. Again I have been playing a lot of Dark Souls games lately so that might have something to do with it. I love the strategy of targeting parts and changing up ammo.

#615 2 years ago

I haven't played Valhalla yet but I didn't feel that way about AC Odyssey, but I liked the world and Kassandra so much that I enjoyed just playing and going around clearing forts and what not. I didn't like all of the side quest stuff in Spiderman and just did the main story stuff for it as the rest didn't interest me. I think the appeal of the world and characters has a lot to do with it for me.

#618 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

So, I've never played any of the dark souls games. All I ever heard was how impossible they were, but I finished Tsushima awhile back and wanted to give something else a try. I asked the guys at my local barcade and they told me to try Bloodborne. Not entirely sure how I feel about it so far, but then I haven't even made it to the first GD boss yet. Not usually a fan of these games with pretty much zero save points that rely heavily on memorization to clear a stage, but I'm gonna stick with it for awhile and see if it grows on me.

I tried to start with Bloodborne and had the same reaction. Demons Souls on PS5 was a better starting point for me. Levels are smaller and have a cool shortcut design and the enemies don’t mob you as bad as Bloodborne. It gave me a chance to get used to the combat and it finally clicked. Went from that to DS3 and liked it so decided to abandon that 10 hours on and play Dark Souls Remastered and Dark Souls 2. Have loved all of them so far and I think the “impossible” tag is misnomer and out there to make people that play it feel better about themselves or something.

If you can’t start with Demons souls I would go for DS Remastered. It isn’t very pretty and does show its age in a lot of places but really is a masterpiece, flaws and all.

I want to go back to Bloodborne now but I also want to wait on the nextgen patch or remaster that is rumored. Playing it at 30 fps is rough since everything else I play now is 60fps.

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Started playing Horizon today and yep...it's pretty freakin' epic. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am on the last mission of the DLC right now. I would like to plat it at some point, but too much other stuff to play right now

I am very much looking forward to the sequel though. Hopefully I have Elden Ring done before it comes out.

2 weeks later
#624 2 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Bought the directors cut of Ghost Of Tsushima on the PS5. Loving it so far, at least when my daughter doesn’t decide to help me haha. Great game, got a BOTW feel to it. The world is beautiful and the combat feels good. Getting better at learning which stances to be in and dodging and parrying.
I know I’m late on this one. I think i may also have gotten Horizon for free with PS+. I’ll have to check that out as well.

Someday I will get to GoT. Looks like my kind of game for sure.

Highly recommend Horizon. I loved it.

I preordered the Elden Ring Collectors Edition today. I am so excited for that one l, especially after the gameplay preview from this morning.

#626 2 years ago

Yeah I hear you on the lock on thing. I finally got used to it, but it took a while. I still think it would have been better with it. Such a great game though. The DLC was great too.

I have been playing through the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection. Those games hold up fairly well. They are repetitive, but still fun. I am about done with the 2nd game.

#628 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Another killer series. I loved the adventure style Indiana Jones story line and play them like once a year or so. I keep trying to get my daughter to play them and since she loves Tom Holland, I might have an in.
Just started the Demon's Souls remake... yea still trying to wrap my head around dying and starting at the beginning of the zone again (just cleared the first one). I've never been much of a parry or dodger so that makes things interesting.

Play with a shield, and just block stuff, it helped me a lot starting out. Parrying isn’t too hard in DeS but takes some practice. Demons souls is all about finding shortcuts to open up so dying isn’t as punishing. It makes exploring a lot of fun in the game. Keep at it. Once it clicks you will be hooked. Also don’t be afraid to look up the level order. I was trying to play things sequentially and 1-2 was kicking my ass to the point of giving up, until I found out that going to 2-1 or 4-1 was a better option.

3 weeks later
#629 2 years ago

Picked up Deathloop in the sale. Pretty fun so far. My wife picked up GotG for me in the sale as well, but I have to wait until Xmas to open it :p

#633 2 years ago

I tried to like Yakuza but couldn’t get into it. I like how goofy they can be tho.

I went ahead and started Deathloop because I know it isn’t a very long game. The overall design aesthetic is awesome and love just looking around at the world they created.

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's pretty cutscene and dialogue heavy, but the goofiness is pretty entertaining, and I really do like the story so far. It's pretty much an interactive drama. if you take it for that, and not expect an extensively gameplay focused game, then you might approach it differently. I didn't know what to expect tbh, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially after seeing the praise that it got from the general consensus. Deathloop is definitely on my playlist. I'm not a huge FPS guy but I think I might like what it has to offer.
Speaking of FPS, I'm still sorta waiting to see if Cyberpunk is going to get patched enough where it's a good playing experience on the PS5. I'm not sure it'll ever get there though...which sucks because it seems like a really great game. I don't want to pony up $2k for a gaming rig though, even though I just got an Oculus Quest 2 a couple of months ago and love it and thought about making a VR capable PC...

Deathloop feels more like Fallout than a fast paced FPS if that kind of thing matters. I am not a big FPS guy either but I like this one. I have been loving Halo Infinite and Lemnis Gate recently too so maybe I am more of a fan than I thought

3 weeks later
#642 2 years ago

Anybody get any fun Playstation stuffs for Xmas? I made out pretty well with 5 games

Guardians of the Galaxy
Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
Tales of Arise
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

I also picked up Dark Souls 2 for $10 in the sale online even though I have played it, I wanted all of the DS games on PS and it was the only one I was missing.

GotG is fantastic so far.

#647 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I got:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut
Spiderman Miles Morales
Hades
Devil Mau Cry 5 Special Edition
I also got my kid a white switch OLED so I get mine back finally. Going to play Metroid Dread then crack into one of the above. I'm most excited for HZDFW in February. I'm going to jump into the first one again in the beginning of February to prepare for it.

Nice, yeah I just played HZD for the first time a couple of months ago. I am very excited for Forbidden West. I have too much stuff to play before then though and also have to make the decision of to play FW first or Elden Ring

#648 2 years ago

I am crazy impressed with GotG. I think i prefer this cast and stories to the movies…and I love the movies.

1 week later
#664 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Try to the new demon souls for the PS5. It's challenging but definitely doable for us old folks and I really enjoyed it.

Demons Souls is the most approachable but also the most punishing imo. Just look up a guide for the world order to play. I assumed you were meant to go to 1-2 after 1-1. But in reality the other -1 worlds needed to really needed to be played first to get stronger. I did 1-1, 4-1, 2-1 etc.

1 month later
#681 2 years ago

HFW is amazing. Love the changes and is more challenging so far. I am about 25 hours in at this point. Gonna be hard to drop it for Elden Ring.

#683 2 years ago

Yeah totally hiding it

77985EC1-96B2-43F9-8009-5040CF791432 (resized).png77985EC1-96B2-43F9-8009-5040CF791432 (resized).png
#685 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, no idea why they keep blocking gameplay videos then. Makes no sense from a marketing perspective of the game is that great.

I don’t know. I think it worked pretty well. The anticipation was even higher not knowing for me. Now that the review are coming out I am even more hyped. There was a lot of gameplay from the network test available. Hours even. So it isn’t like you couldn’t find anything about it.

Excited to get started on it.

#687 2 years ago
D25927CF-D80B-46DE-BF98-43DB836FF9DE (resized).jpegD25927CF-D80B-46DE-BF98-43DB836FF9DE (resized).jpeg
#689 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Probably to prevent spoilers. I remember Sony doing the same thing for The Last of Us 2.

This is a big part of it. From is very conscious of this it seems.

#691 2 years ago

FMdTpi7WQAcytJo (resized).jpgFMdTpi7WQAcytJo (resized).jpg
#695 2 years ago

I enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima for the most part. It is a beautiful game and the combat is pretty good. I did get kind of tired of fighting the same 5 human enemy types by the end though. I plan to revisit it again at some point and complete the side quests and Iki island. I keep meaning to try Legends as well as it seems a bit more interesting with the yokai and such. Which is what I really liked about Nioh.

#696 2 years ago

I am really enjoying Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West. HFW is the best looking game I have ever seen by a large margin. I am liking everything about it at this point. After I gorge myself on Elden Ring I will be back on it.

I will say I am extremely disappointed in the performance of Elden Ring. Seems like it is an issue across all systems and not just PS5. It is pretty bad considering how good HFW looks and runs buttery smooth at all times. I know FromSoft isn't known for their technical prowess, but it is hard to stomach a AAA game in this age not running smooth. Especially given that graphically, it isn't that impressive. Artistically/aesthetically it is, one of the best I have seen, but technically, no.

It is a pity because it is a nearly perfect game for ME otherwise. Hopefully they can iron it out.

#700 2 years ago

I would start with Demon’s Souls. It is a great gateway into the genre IMO. It is hard but the easiest of the souls games IMO and is the best looking PS5 game. Elden Ring is hard AF, not as pretty and absolutely doesn’t hold your hand with the open world stuff. That said it is an incredible open world game unlike any I have played. It is all about exploring and being rewarded for doing so…..and also getting your teeth kicked in on the regular

#702 2 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Maybe I will grab Demon Souls. Ive heard nothing but good things about it.
Looks like its on sale too. $40 instead of $70. Makes that decision a little easier.

Don't be afraid to watch a guide or playthrough of the first area at least. I know people say 'don't spoil it!' and what not, but the game didn't click for me until I watched somebody else make it up to Phalanx. I had a lightbulb moment after that and everything fell into place. Also don't be afraid to summon help (after the first level that is).

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have yet to play a Souls style game far enough to get hooked, they all seem so bloody cumbersome. I have tried a couple times but action feels so slow and there is just so much damn grinding. Is the PS5 Souls or Elden more fast paced. Trying to decide if it's worth another attempt?

Sekiro is pretty fast paced. Demon's Souls and Elden Ring's combat feels very similar. A little more dynamic in Elden Ring. The enemies are way more aggressive in ER as well.

I personally think Bloodborne was the hardest one from FromSoft I have played. Nioh 1 is super hard, harder than any of the souls games IMO. Nioh2 is actually a great place to start but not easy either. It is at least really pretty and has more of a coherent story and a bit faster paced. The PS5 upgrade looks great too. The Nioh games are my favorite soulslikes not from FromSoft.

I honestly think if you really want to try a 'soulslike' but don't want the punishing difficulty to turn you off, Jedi Fallen Order is a great place to start. It is challenging but not as bad as the souls games and has more of a 'movie' like story.

1 week later
#711 2 years ago

Elden Ring has consumed me. Have made it to Rodahn and he is a brick wall. Gonna be a tough one. 70 hours in tho with no end in sight and I am loving it. Just exploring the world is so much fun. Already thinking about my next play-through with a different build.

#719 2 years ago

I find Elden Ring bosses to be more difficult than in Demons Souls.
One major difference is that there are a ton of save points and you can quick travel to any one. On top of that, there's usually a save point very close to bosses, so not much tedious grinding to get back to the boss every time you die.
Note: all souls games become easy if you summon help from other players. If a boss is too frustrating, summon a couple other players in for help and you'll get past it quickly.

Demons Souls has the easiest bosses in the series imo. DS is all about opening shortcuts to make the run back shorter but still can be long in a few instances. Elden Ring has a lot of quality of like changes which are nice.

I agree about summoning tho. Elden Ring is the first game that I have summoned real person help on more than one occasion. Some of the bosses feel like they were designed to be played with more than one person. Not a bad thing, just feels a bit different.

#721 2 years ago

There are some crazy summons later on. A lot to choose from and you can upgrade them.

#733 2 years ago

I have a Xbox Series S and gamepass and I hardly touch it. Kind of a waste of money at this point as I am only playing my PS5. I will play my Series S a few times a month to play Halo with my brother in laws online. That is about it sadly. I do appreciate being able to check out games on gamepass but there have been very few to hold my attention. Couple that with the fact that I much prefer the feel of a PS controller to Xbox. I know I am probably in the minority there though.

#749 2 years ago

Different tastes I guess. Horzion is one of the few series where I actually enjoy the dialogue the stories they tell.

#759 2 years ago

I am 96 hours into Elden Ring at this point and I think I am a little past half way…. Not complaining. Still loving it.

3 months later
#797 1 year ago

I'm in a love/hate relationship with it, too.
I'm at the fire giant and haligtree. I surprised myself and beat the first boss at the haligtree in only a few tries.
My big dislike is the recycled bosses. I don't know if it's just my bad luck in the order I'm encountering then in, but it seems like I have a high rate of finding a duplicate boss that I just fought a couple bosses ago. The game could be cut down in size so that every boss is fought once and I would be fine with that.
Btw, I'm this far in and I have relatively little idea what is even going on in this game story-wise. I felt like I had the general gist of the other From Software souls games. This one I'm supposed to kill some demi-gods and become Elden Lord... Whatever that is. And there's a tree and another tree... And fingers and finger reader crones... And I don't know what's happening! I'm not even entirely sure why I'm in some kind of death loop where I keep coming back. That mechanism was explained decently well in the other games, though probably it makes the most sense in the context of Bloodborne.

Even with all of the gripes, ER is still probably my favorite game ever at this point. I am on my third playthrough already and still loving it and finding new areas and bosses. Trying new builds and combat styles is fun as well.

As far as the story goes, it is very obtuse at times, but if you are just relying on cutscenes and dialogue, you will miss a lot. I was able to pick up on that you were 'undead' because destined death was stolen by Ranni.

However, for most of the story I just watch videos from Vaatividya and Quelaag on YT for lore and story explanations, and I actually find that way more interesting. There will always be polarizing views on the way Fromsoft presents story and lore.

#800 1 year ago

I think the open world has a lot to do with it. If they try and focus it too much it might become too linear. Maybe it is just bad design. I don’t know. It worked ok for me.

#801 1 year ago

All of that said. I do highly recommend the Vaatividya series in YT about ER lore. The story really is quite fascinating and his production value is off the charts.

#806 1 year ago

For those of you with a Steam Deck, PS5 Local Remote play is awesome on it. I can't even tell I am not playing the game natively. Played a few hours of Elden Ring last night with no issues.

4 months later
#816 1 year ago

I have seen them on the shelves several times the last few weeks at Walmart and Target around here. Hope you can get one. Still love mine.

On a side note, don't sleep on Nioh 2, especially if you have PS+ as it is free this month. Outstanding game.

#825 1 year ago

I have put several hours into it. It's hard for me to get into after Elden Ring. I want so badly to be able to jump... I hope jumping in Elden Ring hasn't ruined my ability to go back and play souls games without it. Nioh 2 just especially ends up feeling like the lack of jumping is artificially making navigating levels harder. I'm running across a roof and a simple log or sandbag it's an impassable barrier? I look over edge and there's an enemy I want to drop down on to attack... Oh, just a step too far away I guess.

Yeah, I had a bit of a buffer playing DS3, Sekiro and Bloodborne after Elden Ring, so I got it out of my system Honestly tho, Nioh 2 is as good as any of those IMO.

That said, Team Ninja's next game Wo Long Fallen Dynasty comes out in March and is basically Chinese Nioh with jumping

#830 1 year ago

I have been trying to get into RD2. I like it, but the pacing is so slow early on. Hasn't sunk its teeth into me yet. Nioh 2 kind of hijacked that one for me for the time being.

#834 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I bought Red Dead redemption for my PS3 last year. The beginning was so slow,and filled with a lot of boring stuff to do. I quit playing,and I still wonder if I should give it another try ?

I bought my dad a copy of the first game for the 360 and honestly, the little bit I played of it I enjoyed a lot more than RD2 so far. I am going to borrow it when he is done with it I think.

#835 1 year ago

Finished the main game for Nioh 2 last night. What a great game. It is really more of an action game than souls game. Feels way more like Ninja Gaiden games which makes sense since it is the same dev. Bought the DLC since it is on sale.

Def worth checking out if you have PS+

#850 1 year ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Nope. Games kind of passed me by at some point. I had 100+ Atari games, 50+ original NES games, then only about 8 with the Super NES. When controllers went to....what 10-12 buttons now? with hundreds or thousands of different button combinations that do different things, games became more of a chore than fun for me. I'm fine with a challenge, but I don't want to spend 20 hours memorizing different ways to attack or defend, or crafting a bunch of new supplies and weapons.

I would definitely recommend watching a youtube video of a person playing the first hour or so of the game. It's not going to spoil that much, but you will learn the ins and outs of how the combat is supposed to work in those games. The games really are worth it, and it took me a few false starts with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before it clicked with me. Fromsoft games have since become my favorite games ever and I have replayed many of them. It wasn't until I watched MFpallytime on Youtube play the first level of Demon's Souls before I had the lightbulb moment. Glad I did.

#865 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Play a recent Assassin's Creed. Valhalla took me all summer to finish, and then it just said, "Now that you've conquered England, go explore everything else you missed!" or words to that effect. And I was, like...um...no.

I would recommend Odyssey over Valhalla myself. Much better game overall IMO.

#867 1 year ago

I am not a big AC fan, but Odyssey was one of my favorite games ever. Make sure you play as Kassandra tho and not Alexios, she is a much better character.

1 week later
#891 1 year ago

Yeah, I need to try Mortal Shell again. Didn't really grab me the first time I tried it.

3 weeks later
#899 1 year ago

I just finished my third playthrough of Elden Ring tonight and honestly, this playthrough was the most fun so far. I did a Faith incantation build, which was very different from my first two runs both being melee (dex/strength). I have over 200 hours in the game now and I still found over a dozen areas I hadn't seen before in this run. Crazy.

The story is not in your face and you kind of have to work for it, but I am completely enamored with the lore and world. I have even been watching a lot of lore videos on YT and it is pretty incredible the amount of depth to the world and story. Every item, even down to the flowers you pick up have a specific meaning and purpose.

I need to make myself get in and play GoW:R, I like the game, but outside of the story the gameplay is so repetitive it is hard for me to keep my interest up. I am looking forward to the Horizon Forbidden West DLC coming out this spring.

#904 1 year ago

I started playing Remnant: From the Ashes today as I got it free a while ago. I tried it when I first got it, but it didn't click. Saw a video recently and it got me interested again. I am glad I gave it another shot. It is a really solid game. PS5 update looks great too.

It is a weird hybrid of a game, kind of a mix of Dark Souls, God of War and Gears of War. Challenging combat, but not too hard. You don't lose all of your stuff like a traditional souls-like, The combat feels like Dark Souls with guns, in a good way. Also, the promo material does not do the game justice. Almost all of the screenshots and videos I have ever seen of the game use the first zone, which is an ugly post apocalyptic cityscape. The levels once you get out of that zone are stunning visually. It really surprised me how beautiful it was.

Anyways, it is a hidden gem for me. I am loving it after about 10 hours of play. Epic gave the game away on PC last year, so if you claim those games weekly, like I do, you probably have it in your library already.

2 months later
#917 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sorry...just saw this. Yes...I finished Ghost of Tsushima and it was fantastic.

Glad you liked it. The newest game is the best one, I think, and the graphics are ridiculously good.
I'm personally working on the first Last of Us.
I also picked up the new VR2 setup and it's incredible. I got a whole driving rig and Gran Turismo 7, and paired with the VR2 goggles, I swear to God you think you're in the cockpit of a race car. Great time to be a gamer...

VR racing is a new level of immersion. I used it on PC for sim racing for a couple of years. I have gone back to triple screens for now as it was just too expensive to chase performance with it. I am very keen to try PSVR2 and GT7 just for the fun of it though.

#919 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Wish I could do VR racing, but it makes me sick. I know you can build a tolerance for it, but an Ultrawide works just fine for me.

Yeah, took me about a month to build it up, but been fine ever since.

#924 1 year ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

GT7 with VR is awesome. I loved VR with iRacing a few years ago on an original Rift. PSVR2 is just such an easy setup and I added casters to my little wheel stand with seat attachment. Super easy to setup and breakdown.
[quoted image]

If my wheel and pedals were supported on PS5 I would buy a PSVR2 in a heartbeat for GT7 in VR.

4 weeks later
#935 12 months ago

I finally got around to finishing GoW:Ragnarok and overall, I really liked the game a lot in spite of the combat. It never did click with me, and I found myself dreading entering an arena as the combat was just annoying to me. That said, it was a hell of a story and quite a spectacle.

I also played and enjoyed the Horizon Forbidden West DLC. It actually got me more excited for the next game as I was pretty lukewarm after completing the main story campaign after release.

#937 11 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Horizon is such a strange game for me, everyone raves about how good it looks, it may be a technical marvel but I find it so ugly. The color palette is just garish, something about the voice acting and facial animation just looks super wierd. I'll play the DLC eventually but there are just too many game on my list right now. .

You might be the first person I have seen call the Horizon games ugly

To each their own. I find them stunning.

I am going to wait on Jedi Survivor until they get the performance issues worked out. I am using the time to clean up some backlog games. Hogwarts Legacy atm.

1 month later
#951 10 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Any word on how Final Fantasy XVI is? I was thinking of getting it...it would be my first dip into that series. Don't know how it compares to Elden Ring-type stuff.

It def isn't like Elden Ring. I am liking it a lot so far, but you spend a lot of time watching cutscenes. Which is very similar to most FF games, at least recently, so keep that in mind. The story is very Game of Thrones so far but that isn't a bad thing. The combat in this one is more action based and I like it a lot, but it definitely isn't turn based oriented like the old games or even the newer ones. The last few games weren't turn based either, but they definitely still had a turn based feel to them, this one is closer to something like Devil May Cry, which makes sense since the combat designer worked on DMC.

There is a demo for it. Try it out, the progress carries over to the game if you buy it.

6 months later
#955 3 months ago

That is rad your library has games to check out. I wish ours did.

1 week later
#959 83 days ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Like a Dragon (aka Yakuza): Infinite Wealth
Sega really outdone themselves here. Absolutely, hooked!

I need to get back to Like A Dragon. I liked what I played of it and have heard this one is even better. I am currently addicted to Snowrunner and can't stop playing it...

#961 79 days ago

They know they are losing the hardware war and the exclusives for Sony have been a lot better than their own. I own a Series S and never play it. I only bought it because my brother in laws both have Xbox's and we play online sometimes. Then I realized I could just play any of the games on my PC and still play with them, so it became redundant. I would sell it, but it isn't worth anything.

There will always be people willing to buy Bathesda and Blizzard games, no matter the popular opinion. I am sure Starfield will sell great on Playstation even though it is a very medicore game.

That said, I do wish somebody else would step up. As much as I like Sony and like my PS5, Sony needs some competition. Nintendo is off in their own little world printing money, so they don't really count.

#963 79 days ago

High on Life was a good one. There have been some exclusives that were worth playing, but none that were console exclusive that I couldn't play on my PC. I do like Game Pass though and will keep the PC version.

#964 76 days ago

Finally picked up Armored Core VI. Game is a rush. Love it.

#967 70 days ago

Highly recommend Helldivers 2 if you have a crew to play with.

#980 69 days ago

I don't have a portal but I use my Steam Deck for the same purpose of remote play and it is great. I am sure the Portal is even better for that purpose.

#982 68 days ago

Weird. I find the Steam deck extremely comfortable to use.

#990 64 days ago

Horizon is a fantastic game. I have played it twice. Once on PS5 and again on the PC. Loved it both times.

#992 63 days ago

YES PLEASE.

GGzzHVRaEAAqrcw (resized).pngGGzzHVRaEAAqrcw (resized).png
#995 63 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm seeing it's a $40 DLC. Hope it's worth the price! Honestly, if it has half the content of the base game, I'd be happy. Haven't played ER in probably a year...gotta get my muscle memory back on this game!

Miyazaki said it would be around 30 hours, which means more like 60 in reality if his past comments are taken into account.

#997 62 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Nice, I haven't looked much into it other than knowing that it's coming. I spent around 120 hrs on the base game. It'll probably be at least another 60 hrs for the DLC if set up in the same way as the base game and there is a new world to explore. I'm assuming it's a new map? I thought I saw some new classes in the trailer as well.

Yes, new area/map that isn't directly connected to the current map. Looks like it is going to be in a 'deathbed' dream kind of like the Lich Dragon Fortissax fight in the Deeproot Depths. He said the map is a bit larger than Limgrave but more densely packed. So yeah, should be a lot there.

#1006 57 days ago

Helldivers 2 is the most fun I have had with a coop game in a long, long time. Even playing solo with randos is a ton of fun. I don't use voice when playing with randos. If you do happen to have a couple of friends to play with, I am not sure there is a better game out there atm.

#1011 54 days ago
Quoted from Whistles:

It seemed to me like a co-op PVE type but for hardcore lunchpail types that don't mind these games turning into a bit of a chore.

Na, the game is just pure co-op fun. You can try hard it if you want, but you can just play for fun too and it is a blast. Figuratively and literally.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gov.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-playstation-thread?tu=Gov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.