pasted_image (resized).png
FMdTpi7WQAcytJo (resized).jpg
D25927CF-D80B-46DE-BF98-43DB836FF9DE (resized).jpeg
77985EC1-96B2-43F9-8009-5040CF791432 (resized).png
A6E69789-7B41-498A-A639-D08B0D8CDB89 (resized).jpeg
20211207_205614 (resized).jpg
20211130_180127 (resized).jpg
5q2yk2 (resized).jpg

There are 1,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.
#701 2 years ago

Maybe I will grab Demon Souls. Ive heard nothing but good things about it.

Looks like its on sale too. $40 instead of $70. Makes that decision a little easier.

#702 2 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Maybe I will grab Demon Souls. Ive heard nothing but good things about it.
Looks like its on sale too. $40 instead of $70. Makes that decision a little easier.

Don't be afraid to watch a guide or playthrough of the first area at least. I know people say 'don't spoil it!' and what not, but the game didn't click for me until I watched somebody else make it up to Phalanx. I had a lightbulb moment after that and everything fell into place. Also don't be afraid to summon help (after the first level that is).

#703 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Don't be afraid to watch a guide or playthrough of the first area at least. I know people say 'don't spoil it!' and what not, but the game didn't click for me until I watched somebody else make it up to Phalanx. I had a lightbulb moment after that and everything fell into place. Also don't be afraid to summon help (after the first level that is).

Yeah I probably will. I dont usually play games like these. Definitely no hand holding. Maybe this will get
me to go back and play through Returnal.

#704 2 years ago

Just saw this thread. Finally got my hands on the PS5 after months of trying. Switched over from the One X and am having such a good time with everything from the controller to the graphics. Rift Apart was the first game I completed on it, and it's definitely some of the most fun I've had with the best graphics to any game to date. Control by Remedy was also very enjoyable, and now I am on Returnal which is great, just very difficult.

#705 2 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Yeah I probably will. I dont usually play games like these. Definitely no hand holding. Maybe this will get
me to go back and play through Returnal.

Other rogue-like/souls-like games that are more approachable are Bloodborne (from what I hear) or Nioh, which are more approachable imo and would introduce you to the series, in a different way. I played OG Demon Souls, and much more recently tried again with the PS5 version. i couldn't get into it. For me, when you put 2-4+hrs into a game and make very little progression, it takes a special mindset to be able to push through. Like you, and i'm sure others, I just don't have the time to sink into it like I used it. But with Elden Ring, I've been tempted to try again...but I just got into Deathloop so...lol

I'll probably try Elden Ring at some point, but I'll wait for it to drop in price before I get it.

#706 2 years ago

I have yet to play a Souls style game far enough to get hooked, they all seem so bloody cumbersome. I have tried a couple times but action feels so slow and there is just so much damn grinding. Is the PS5 Souls or Elden more fast paced. Trying to decide if it's worth another attempt?

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have yet to play a Souls style game far enough to get hooked, they all seem so bloody cumbersome. I have tried a couple times but action feels so slow and there is just so much damn grinding. Is the PS5 Souls or Elden more fast paced. Trying to decide if it's worth another attempt?

Sekiro is pretty fast paced. Demon's Souls and Elden Ring's combat feels very similar. A little more dynamic in Elden Ring. The enemies are way more aggressive in ER as well.

I personally think Bloodborne was the hardest one from FromSoft I have played. Nioh 1 is super hard, harder than any of the souls games IMO. Nioh2 is actually a great place to start but not easy either. It is at least really pretty and has more of a coherent story and a bit faster paced. The PS5 upgrade looks great too. The Nioh games are my favorite soulslikes not from FromSoft.

I honestly think if you really want to try a 'soulslike' but don't want the punishing difficulty to turn you off, Jedi Fallen Order is a great place to start. It is challenging but not as bad as the souls games and has more of a 'movie' like story.

#708 2 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Rift Apart was the first game I completed on it

Just finished that one. Loved it.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Other rogue-like/souls-like games that are more approachable are Bloodborne (from what I hear)

I played bloodborne for awhile and only made it to the second boss. I was definitely up for trying something different by I just couldn't get into it. Then GOTG dropped and that was the end of that. Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point, but I just picked up Forbidden West this weekend so it won't be any time soon.

1 week later
#709 2 years ago

For me Bloodborne always felt the most approachable and like it was going to be possible for me to proceed and eventually win. It's a different play style, rewarding fast offense vs heavy defense in other souls games. I can solo the main game and expansion on Bloodborne, making use of NPC summons.

I was able to solo Demons Souls on PS3, but have yet to beat King Allant in the PS5 version.

Elden Ring is along Dark Souls difficulty for me. You hit so many walls of super high difficulty with bosses if you go solo. I can relatively breeze through the dungeons, but the bosses are really difficult. My take on souls games is to enjoy them the first time through and summon other players for help with the bosses. It's so new, with so many players at the moment that you don't wait long finding someone to help you. Solo runs are for the future when it's harder to find other players.

I like some of the visual callbacks to Bloodborne found in some Elden Ring areas and enemies. I encountered a couple of enemies today that bled paleblood!

#710 2 years ago

Latest BF2042 just dropped! Here is hoping it is greatly improved.
Another major one in early April

#711 2 years ago

Elden Ring has consumed me. Have made it to Rodahn and he is a brick wall. Gonna be a tough one. 70 hours in tho with no end in sight and I am loving it. Just exploring the world is so much fun. Already thinking about my next play-through with a different build.

#712 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Elden Ring has consumed me. Have made it to Rodahn and he is a brick wall. Gonna be a tough one. 70 hours in tho with no end in sight and I am loving it. Just exploring the world is so much fun. Already thinking about my next play-through with a different build.

How does to compare to Demon Souls? Other than being open world vs linear? How is the difficulty/progression? Lots of grinding involved?

#713 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

How does to compare to Demon Souls? Other than being open world vs linear? How is the difficulty/progression? Lots of grinding involved?

I find Elden Ring bosses to be more difficult than in Demons Souls.

One major difference is that there are a ton of save points and you can quick travel to any one. On top of that, there's usually a save point very close to bosses, so not much tedious grinding to get back to the boss every time you die.

Note: all souls games become easy if you summon help from other players. If a boss is too frustrating, summon a couple other players in for help and you'll get past it quickly.

#714 2 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

One major difference is that there are a ton of save points and you can quick travel to any one. On top of that, there's usually a save point very close to bosses, so not much tedious grinding to get back to the boss every time you die.
Note: all souls games become easy if you summon help from other players. If a boss is too frustrating, summon a couple other players in for help and you'll get past it quickly.

I don't mind a hard boss. What I dont care for is making a run, getting to the boss, dying, then pretty much going through the same thing over again, with little character progress (my initial experience with DS).

I think with the open world layout, if I find a section too difficult, I would essentially be able to go somewhere else and come back once I felt like I was ready. I think this might be more of a better pace than DS. They save points are a huge plus.

#715 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I don't mind a hard boss. What I dont care for is making a run, getting to the boss, dying, then pretty much going through the same thing over again, with little character progress (my initial experience with DS).
I think with the open world layout, if I find a section too difficult, I would essentially be able to go somewhere else and come back once I felt like I was ready. I think this might be more of a better pace than DS. They save points are a huge plus.

I loved DS but admittedly not until I followed Cowboy's walk through for the first few sections. As it was my first souls game, I didn't have any idea about character or world tendencies or about dying twice and losing all my souls. I ended up playing through it 4-5 times with different builds just to experience the different play styles. Getting to the reaper farm as quickly as possible and being able to grind out some levels real quick definitely helped with survivability concerns as well. I also have Bloodbourne that I haven't played yet which I actually tried before i owned DS but the characters creepy long slenderman arms skeeved me out so it only lasted 10-15 minutes before I got distracted with something else and never went back to it. Definitely on the list to dig more into it now that I've gone through DS. The problem like most of us here is so many games and so little time...

#716 2 years ago

With all these post I’d figured I wouldn’t be alone grinding for Gold. Unfortunately it’s in GT7 and not elden ring.

#717 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

With all these post I’d figured I wouldn’t be alone grinding for Gold. Unfortunately it’s in GT7 and not elden ring.

How is it? I played hundreds of hours on the ps3 version. I still have "Turbo Lover" burned into my brain.

#718 2 years ago

I am just trying to get through Horizon then it's all GT7 for me. I'll give Elden a go eventually but I dunno if I can go back to games with shit performance. The PS5 really changed my perspective, I never really cared about framerate but now how do you go back after so many silky smooth 60 experiences.

#719 2 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Demons Souls has the easiest bosses in the series imo. DS is all about opening shortcuts to make the run back shorter but still can be long in a few instances. Elden Ring has a lot of quality of like changes which are nice.

I agree about summoning tho. Elden Ring is the first game that I have summoned real person help on more than one occasion. Some of the bosses feel like they were designed to be played with more than one person. Not a bad thing, just feels a bit different.

#720 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Some of the bosses feel like they were designed to be played with more than one person. Not a bad thing, just feels a bit different.

I like the spirit summons or whatever they're called. It appears that for bosses that have stock npc summons you can summon them and the spirit summon, but you can't use a spirit summon if you summon a real player. I don't understand the other times you're locked out of spirit summons. I think I encountered a boss where I couldn't use them even solo. Maybe they thought it would be too easy. I usually use the wolves when I can.

#721 2 years ago

There are some crazy summons later on. A lot to choose from and you can upgrade them.

#722 2 years ago

If any GT7 players (or anyone else) want to add me I'm craigmack7 on PSN. It would be fun to have some lap times to compete/compare against.

GT7 is a love letter to auto enthusiasts. You can really see the love poured into every aspect of this game. The music rally mode is a lot of fun, and the speed at which the game loads from menus to races or license tests really makes a world of difference.

#723 2 years ago

GT7 is an absolute masterpiece, definitely the ulitmate car game, not just the races, it's also a car history bible, with a compelling way to get you to want to learn everything about car history.
The game is stunningly beautiful, the level of settings for the cars is unseen but more than anything else every single change is noticeable on the tracks.

Truly a class of its own

#724 2 years ago

Thank god BF2042 is a little better now, if you are interested !
Also still loving Pinball Arcade, waaaaaaaaay better than Zen's effort.

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Also still loving Pinball Arcade, waaaaaaaaay better than Zen's effort.

I find Zen's effort pretty good.

Well; when you are playing the WMS tables in Classic Single Player mode that is. That's the mode that makes the physics much more realistic and removes cartoony animations. It plays closer to the real machine than TPA.

The regular Single Player mode on the other hand is for casual players with the simple physics, cartoony animation mods, and power ups.

#726 2 years ago

I’m enjoying GT7 as well. Fanatec has me eyeing their PS GT direct drive wheel bundle. Just sucks I can’t use their wheel with my Thrustmaster gear.

#727 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I find Zen's effort pretty good.
Well; when you are playing the WMS tables in Classic Single Player mode that is. That's the mode that makes the physics much more realistic and removes cartoony animations. It plays closer to the real machine than TPA.
The regular Single Player mode on the other hand is for casual players with the simple physics, cartoony animation mods, and power ups.

What do you play Zen on? I use PS4/PS5 nd Zen is trash , but nice wank factor.

#728 2 years ago

Love the PS5 for their exclusives but still lean Xbox Series X overall (trust me not a fanboy comment love em both). Always tell people I'm fine with either but having both is good too lol. Delayed playing stuff but went through Deathloop which I loved. Finally played TLOU 2 which is just amazing (played it again right after). Now Miles Morales which has also been fun (quick and easy but fun).

#729 2 years ago

I've always been a HUGE Xbox person and love the Atmos support on them. Just enjoyed the new Halo as well (although I thought it was the toughest one). That said, I'm finishing Ghost of Tsushima. Then doing the Horizon games. Then the Elden Ring/Demon's Souls games...all on PS5. I LOVE the haptic feedback controller, the load times, and the beautiful graphics of the native games - so much that I don't even miss the extra sound immersion.

I just might be a PS5 fanboy now...

#730 2 years ago

If this generation is your first on PlayStation do yourself a favour and get familiar with Naughty Dog. I owned and Xbox One S and I actually never played it the entire generation. I got it mainly as a 4K player and for any must have exclusives. I bought it used and it came with Halo and Gears and I played them long enough to go yep that is Halo and Gears. I was meaning to pick up the Pirate game that had all the hype but it didn't seem to deliver. Forza was one that I would have loved to play but not at the price of buying a second setup. I wonder if it's just that everything has an algorithm tailored to you but if I had to list major Xbox releases those 4 titles are all I can think of. Sony just seem to have such a strangle hold on the market.

#731 2 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

What do you play Zen on? I use PS4/PS5 nd Zen is trash , but nice wank factor.

Odd! I play the PS version too. The later Williams volumes (4 and onword) got the physics down pat. They even took into account the rebound rubbers in the flipper mech.

I'm wondering you are experiencing a unique problem, such as lag?

#732 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I wonder if it's just that everything has an algorithm tailored to you but if I had to list major Xbox releases those 4 titles are all I can think of. Sony just seem to have such a strangle hold on the market.

I own both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox Series X. It's undeniable that Sony has better exclusive games. Uncharted, God of War, and The Last of Us were all must-plays. At least for me, I wouldn't put Halo/Gears/Sea of Thieves into that same category. What Xbox has going for it is marginally better graphics/performance (this seems to have held through from generation to generation). And Gamepass which lets you play any of the exclusive games you'd want to play on the system in exchange for the monthly fee. We actually end up using that a fair amount, and therefore the Xbox gets more play overall.

I'm just glad Sony is still putting out all of its exclusives on the PS4 so there's no need to consider upgrading to a PS5.

#733 2 years ago

I have a Xbox Series S and gamepass and I hardly touch it. Kind of a waste of money at this point as I am only playing my PS5. I will play my Series S a few times a month to play Halo with my brother in laws online. That is about it sadly. I do appreciate being able to check out games on gamepass but there have been very few to hold my attention. Couple that with the fact that I much prefer the feel of a PS controller to Xbox. I know I am probably in the minority there though.

#734 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have a Xbox Series S and gamepass and I hardly touch it. Kind of a waste of money at this point as I am only playing my PS5. I will play my Series S a few times a month to play Halo with my brother in laws online. That is about it sadly. I do appreciate being able to check out games on gamepass but there have been very few to hold my attention. Couple that with the fact that I much prefer the feel of a PS controller to Xbox. I know I am probably in the minority there though.

Same, I never liked the Xbox controller, so I always bought the ps version of the multi platform games.
I bought a One to play Dead Rising 3 when it was exclusive, then got and enjoyed Gears and Halo and that was literally it

I haven't bought an X yet, I might depending on when and if Bethesda games become exclusive or if there a good Gears that comes out. But Xbox exclusive are no match for Sony exclusive games IMO

#735 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I'm wondering you are experiencing a unique problem, such as lag?

No lag just Zen has unrealistic ball movements and hate the ball trail ( I do turn it off ) Its like it plays at a higher gravity and speed is 1.5 times normal. If that makes sense.

#736 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If this generation is your first on PlayStation do yourself a favour and get familiar with Naughty Dog. I owned and Xbox One S and I actually never played it the entire generation. I got it mainly as a 4K player and for any must have exclusives. I bought it used and it came with Halo and Gears and I played them long enough to go yep that is Halo and Gears. I was meaning to pick up the Pirate game that had all the hype but it didn't seem to deliver. Forza was one that I would have loved to play but not at the price of buying a second setup. I wonder if it's just that everything has an algorithm tailored to you but if I had to list major Xbox releases those 4 titles are all I can think of. Sony just seem to have such a strangle hold on the market.

The Uncharted games are one of my two favorite series (Tomb Raider is the other). I used to borrow my son in laws PS4 just to play the Uncharted games when they came out, then said screw it and just bought my own.

#737 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I own both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox Series X. It's undeniable that Sony has better exclusive games. Uncharted, God of War, and The Last of Us were all must-plays. At least for me, I wouldn't put Halo/Gears/Sea of Thieves into that same category. What Xbox has going for it is marginally better graphics/performance (this seems to have held through from generation to generation). And Gamepass which lets you play any of the exclusive games you'd want to play on the system in exchange for the monthly fee. We actually end up using that a fair amount, and therefore the Xbox gets more play overall.
I'm just glad Sony is still putting out all of its exclusives on the PS4 so there's no need to consider upgrading to a PS5.

I'm just about done playing Far Cry 3 on my PS3, and it's an excellent game!
I was thinking about giving "The Last of Us" a try? I was wondering how scarce the ammo and the weapons are in this game? I've watched several YouTube reviews and it seems like a solid game.
I'm a casual player and I don't have a problem with too much ammo and too many weapons ,like better players do.
I remember playing Silent Hill and I did get use to the low number of weapons and ammo in the game.

#738 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I was thinking about giving "The Last of Us" a try? I was wondering how scarce the ammo and the weapons are in this game? I've watched several YouTube reviews and it seems like a solid game.
I'm a casual player and I don't have a problem with too much ammo and too many weapons ,like better players do.
I remember playing Silent Hill and I did get use to the low number of weapons and ammo in the game.

Definitely recommend TLOU and TLOU2 if you can, in the highest resolution possible! Ammo can be scarce in both games, but you can certainly adjust difficulty to increase/decrease. At default difficulty you should be ok on both games. These 2 games sit in some of the best games of all time for me.

#739 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I was thinking about giving "The Last of Us" a try?

You won't regret it. The game is amazing.

#740 2 years ago

A great arcade racer at a reasonable price is Hot Wheels Unleashed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#741 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

LOL I'm literally playing Forbidden West with just my sharpshot bow. They give you way more weapons in FW than HZD because they break up all the elemental status between different weapons and added more elements and yet I literally use 1 of them. As far as Last of Us, my daughter very much enjoyed the game although I never played it.

#742 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

LOL I'm literally playing Forbidden West with just my sharpshot bow.

Same. "You can take out that super big machine with traps, boulders, and big guns in the area". Nah, I'll just spend 20 minutes pumping it full of 500 regular arrows.

#743 2 years ago

I am enjoying Horizon gameplay but my god the dialog. The amount of just pointless conversation with the uncanny valley animation. I dunno why but I'm always like maybe I should listen this might be important. I just can't take it anymore, how about you just put the icon on the map and shut the fuck up. There is not a single character I give a shit about. How can they put so much time and energy into this aspect and get it so wrong. Every go to X and follow the trail is a 20 minute conversation.

The one other thing that drives me insane, she can run up a ladder at 100 mph but every other climbing animation is so slow and tedious, why does she need to pause for 3 seconds and have a think before moving to the next glowing yellow mark.

#744 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I am enjoying Horizon gameplay but my god the dialog. The amount of just pointless conversation with the uncanny valley animation. I dunno why but I'm always like maybe I should listen this might be important. I just can't take it anymore, how about you just put the icon on the map and shut the fuck up. There is not a single character I give a shit about. How can they put so much time and energy into this aspect and get it so wrong. Every go to X and follow the trail is a 20 minute conversation.
The one other thing that drives me insane, she can run up a ladder at 100 mph but every other climbing animation is so slow and tedious, why does she need to pause for 3 seconds and have a think before moving to the next glowing yellow mark.

Amen, brother. Is there no way to skip cut scenes in Horizon? That's the thing that pissed me off about Ghost of Tsushima. I could go make a tuna salad sandwich waiting for people to shut up in cut scenes. Some people have a life and would just like to get on with virtually killing some shit - I don't care about your stupid story.

#745 2 years ago

Death Stranding has some long cut scenes too....I finished that before starting up HFW. Lots of long cut scenes these days. Games have turned more into movies, which is cool...but sometimes, a little more editing would be nice.

#746 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It does seem worse than zero dawn as far as dialog goes. You can skip it all though. The ones where you ask a character 50 questions I just skim through. I read the subtitles a lot faster than waiting on the character to read them to me. You can hit a button to skip to the next piece of dialog after reading it.

#747 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Amen, brother. Is there no way to skip cut scenes in Horizon? That's the thing that pissed me off about Ghost of Tsushima. I could go make a tuna salad sandwich waiting for people to shut up in cut scenes. Some people have a life and would just like to get on with virtually killing some shit - I don't care about your stupid story.

You can skip the cut scenes and I do skip most of it. It's just weird when I think of all the time and energy they wasted on this content. I can't help but think ok there must be some reward or bonus for listening to this. They are going to give me a hint about a secret or something. They never do though it is just completely pointless. Some really great actors are in this but its all bad.

#748 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I am enjoying Horizon gameplay but my god the dialog. The amount of just pointless conversation with the uncanny valley animation.

I was late to the table with the original Horizon Zero Dawn, and am experiencing this same thing. I enjoy the gameplay but the cut scenes are crap (and over extremely variable quality) and the discussion-tree setup is so tedious. I'm thinking I'll bail and just move on to another of last generation's AAA games that I never got around to. Or maybe just dive into Elden Ring.

#749 2 years ago

Different tastes I guess. Horzion is one of the few series where I actually enjoy the dialogue the stories they tell.

#750 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Different tastes I guess. Horzion is one of the few series where I actually enjoy the dialogue the stories they tell.

I'm there with you. The dialogue makes it for me as well. I get that some of the dialogue doesn't lead to much, but I think it enhances the world that they're in and makes it more rich. It's like finding the dozens of notes or writings in other games that don't necessarily drive the narrative forward, but fills in gaps about the world you're taking part of.

Plus Ashley Burch is awesome.

There are 1,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-playstation-thread/page/15?hl=plovis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.