pasted_image (resized).png
FMdTpi7WQAcytJo (resized).jpg
D25927CF-D80B-46DE-BF98-43DB836FF9DE (resized).jpeg
77985EC1-96B2-43F9-8009-5040CF791432 (resized).png
A6E69789-7B41-498A-A639-D08B0D8CDB89 (resized).jpeg
20211207_205614 (resized).jpg
20211130_180127 (resized).jpg
5q2yk2 (resized).jpg
There are 1,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 21.
#601 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm not a big gamer, but that might be the best game I've ever played.

Yeah I was on a Dark Souls kick and needed a break before diving into DS3 again and decided to finally play Horizon. It took a bit for the combat to click, but I am really enjoying and I am enjoying the world and story more than I thought I would.

#602 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yeah I was on a Dark Souls kick and needed a break before diving into DS3 again and decided to finally play Horizon. It took a bit for the combat to click, but I am really enjoying and I am enjoying the world and story more than I thought I would.

I love the story. Rediscovering the past through the extreme future is a very cool idea and they executed it very well.

#603 2 years ago

Yup. Just finished the base game today. Just need to finish the DLC stuff now. I liked it in almost every way more than I did God of War. Only thing it lacked was the transitions on cut scenes. They were jarring at times. Very much looking forward to the Forbidden West. Also playing on the PS5 made the game look amazing. 60fps rock solid. Hard to believe the game is almost 4 years old.

#604 2 years ago

Any thoughts on Deathloop? I was thinking about trying it out.

#605 2 years ago
5q2yk2 (resized).jpg5q2yk2 (resized).jpg
#606 2 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Any thoughts on Deathloop? I was thinking about trying it out.

Haven't played it myself, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I will probably play it on PC someday though as I still can't do FPS with a controller. Funny enough 3rd person is fine. Go figure.

#607 2 years ago

Lol at least you waited long enough for it to be super cheap. Just in time for the February drop of FW. I plan on playing it over again during the holidays just to freshen it up in my mind for the new one. That'll be my 4th play through.

#608 2 years ago

I was lucky enough to snag it when Sony was giving it away for free back last year maybe. I didn't even have a console at the time, but I claimed it knowing I was going to be getting a PS5 at some point. Glad I did.

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I was lucky enough to snag it when Sony was giving it away for free back last year maybe. I didn't even have a console at the time, but I claimed it knowing I was going to be getting a PS5 at some point. Glad I did.

LoL to mix it up on my last play through I ratcheted up the difficulty to max and went north from the first zone and before I ever cleared the ring (old stadium), I went through and beat all of the frozen wilds (except for the chieftain trials). It was interesting trying to kill all of those OP animals in the Frozen Wilds. Made for real nice challenge that's for sure. Of course after that the rest of the game was very easy with all of the leveling and upgrades you get in the wilds. Not sure how I'll change it up this time, any ideas?

#610 2 years ago

You guys have me thinking I should give Horizon another try. I tried it once already and it just felt like a standard bloated open world game with millions of pointless errands to run. How many hours are you guys putting in?

#611 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys have me thinking I should give Horizon another try. I tried it once already and it just felt like a standard bloated open world game with millions of pointless errands to run. How many hours are you guys putting in?

About 40 to beat the main game with doing some of the side quests. Not a ton. If you don’t like these kinds of games not sure anybody will sway you. Spider-Man, Assassins Creed, HZD all have the same structure. I will say that the side missions in HZD seem a bit more meaningful and do have some bearing on the final battle.

I will try and go through and complete most of the rest of them now as I enjoy the world and the story so much. First game I have played where I actually took the time to read all of the found messages and history stuff.

#612 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

About 40 to beat the main game with doing some of the side quests. Not a ton. If you don’t like these kinds of games not sure anybody will sway you. Spider-Man, Assassins Creed, HZD all have the same structure. I will say that the side missions in HZD seem a bit more meaningful and do have some bearing on the final battle.
I will try and go through and complete most of the rest of them now as I enjoy the world and the story so much. First game I have played where I actually took the time to read all of the found messages and history stuff.

I played Valhalla to the end but I enjoyed the first bit then I figured it has to get better so I played some more. It never got better but I just got to the point that I was in so deep I figured I had to get to the end. The last 3rd I basically hated it. I loved Ghost of Ttsushima but I didn't get far enough in to Horizon for the combat to hook me. It is such a big franchise now I do want to give it another go.

#613 2 years ago

The only thing I don’t like about the combat is not having the ability to lock on. With enemies that are jumping at you a lot it can be easy to lose them. Again I have been playing a lot of Dark Souls games lately so that might have something to do with it. I love the strategy of targeting parts and changing up ammo.

#614 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I played Valhalla to the end but I enjoyed the first bit then I figured it has to get better so I played some more. It never got better but I just got to the point that I was in so deep I figured I had to get to the end. The last 3rd I basically hated it. I loved Ghost of Ttsushima but I didn't get far enough in to Horizon for the combat to hook me. It is such a big franchise now I do want to give it another go.

I beat Valhalla too and I thought the same thing, it's going to get better here and then it never did lol. Horizon is one of my favorite games of that style. You have to like story based games. I think the combat in Horizon is a lot more nerve wracking than any of the AC or Far Cry games. I'm playing through Far Cry 6 now.

#615 2 years ago

I haven't played Valhalla yet but I didn't feel that way about AC Odyssey, but I liked the world and Kassandra so much that I enjoyed just playing and going around clearing forts and what not. I didn't like all of the side quest stuff in Spiderman and just did the main story stuff for it as the rest didn't interest me. I think the appeal of the world and characters has a lot to do with it for me.

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

playing a lot of Dark Souls games lately

So, I've never played any of the dark souls games. All I ever heard was how impossible they were, but I finished Tsushima awhile back and wanted to give something else a try. I asked the guys at my local barcade and they told me to try Bloodborne. Not entirely sure how I feel about it so far, but then I haven't even made it to the first GD boss yet. Not usually a fan of these games with pretty much zero save points that rely heavily on memorization to clear a stage, but I'm gonna stick with it for awhile and see if it grows on me.

#617 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I haven't played Valhalla yet but I didn't feel that way about AC Odyssey, but I liked the world and Kassandra so much that I enjoyed just playing and going around clearing forts and what not. I didn't like all of the side quest stuff in Spiderman and just did the main story stuff for it as the rest didn't interest me. I think the appeal of the world and characters has a lot to do with it for me.

The AC series is one of my favorite. I haven't finished one in a while, but I still get giddy whenever I finish climbing to the top of a lookout and press the Synchronize button. I don't really mind swan-diving into straw piles, either.

PS - Haven't touched my Series X since I got the PS5. I'm really hoping Halo is awesome and gets me back on it...

#618 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

So, I've never played any of the dark souls games. All I ever heard was how impossible they were, but I finished Tsushima awhile back and wanted to give something else a try. I asked the guys at my local barcade and they told me to try Bloodborne. Not entirely sure how I feel about it so far, but then I haven't even made it to the first GD boss yet. Not usually a fan of these games with pretty much zero save points that rely heavily on memorization to clear a stage, but I'm gonna stick with it for awhile and see if it grows on me.

I tried to start with Bloodborne and had the same reaction. Demons Souls on PS5 was a better starting point for me. Levels are smaller and have a cool shortcut design and the enemies don’t mob you as bad as Bloodborne. It gave me a chance to get used to the combat and it finally clicked. Went from that to DS3 and liked it so decided to abandon that 10 hours on and play Dark Souls Remastered and Dark Souls 2. Have loved all of them so far and I think the “impossible” tag is misnomer and out there to make people that play it feel better about themselves or something.

If you can’t start with Demons souls I would go for DS Remastered. It isn’t very pretty and does show its age in a lot of places but really is a masterpiece, flaws and all.

I want to go back to Bloodborne now but I also want to wait on the nextgen patch or remaster that is rumored. Playing it at 30 fps is rough since everything else I play now is 60fps.

#619 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Bloodborne. Not entirely sure how I feel about it so far, but then I haven't even made it to the first GD boss yet.

Stick with it. The beauty of Bloodborne level design is that almost all of them have shortcuts you can open up as you progress, so shortcuts end up branching off of the save points, and paths to the bosses after all shortcuts are opened in a level are pretty manageable.

Also, be aggressive! Most levels, you can actually run right through most enemies to get where you want to go. They only follow you so far.

Also, there are a couple of options for first boss. My first playthrough, I completely missed the one people often start with, and found it much later in the game.

#620 2 years ago

Started playing Horizon today and yep...it's pretty freakin' epic. Thanks for the suggestion!

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Started playing Horizon today and yep...it's pretty freakin' epic. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am on the last mission of the DLC right now. I would like to plat it at some point, but too much other stuff to play right now

I am very much looking forward to the sequel though. Hopefully I have Elden Ring done before it comes out.

#622 2 years ago

I've been playing Lost Judgment lately, which is a spinoff of the Yakuza series. Having a blast with all the side content that it has to offer.

1 week later
#623 2 years ago

Bought the directors cut of Ghost Of Tsushima on the PS5. Loving it so far, at least when my daughter doesn’t decide to help me haha. Great game, got a BOTW feel to it. The world is beautiful and the combat feels good. Getting better at learning which stances to be in and dodging and parrying.

I know I’m late on this one. I think i may also have gotten Horizon for free with PS+. I’ll have to check that out as well.

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Bought the directors cut of Ghost Of Tsushima on the PS5. Loving it so far, at least when my daughter doesn’t decide to help me haha. Great game, got a BOTW feel to it. The world is beautiful and the combat feels good. Getting better at learning which stances to be in and dodging and parrying.
I know I’m late on this one. I think i may also have gotten Horizon for free with PS+. I’ll have to check that out as well.

Someday I will get to GoT. Looks like my kind of game for sure.

Highly recommend Horizon. I loved it.

I preordered the Elden Ring Collectors Edition today. I am so excited for that one l, especially after the gameplay preview from this morning.

#625 2 years ago

So I’m giving Horizon another go and I don’t know what I did the first time through but I’m really enjoying it. I think the first time I tried it had just played AC Valhalla and was burnt out on open world games. I do wish you could lock on and control time. I always end up fighting in the damn dark.

#626 2 years ago

Yeah I hear you on the lock on thing. I finally got used to it, but it took a while. I still think it would have been better with it. Such a great game though. The DLC was great too.

I have been playing through the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection. Those games hold up fairly well. They are repetitive, but still fun. I am about done with the 2nd game.

#627 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yeah I hear you on the lock on thing. I finally got used to it, but it took a while. I still think it would have been better with it. Such a great game though. The DLC was great too.
I have been playing through the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection. Those games hold up fairly well. They are repetitive, but still fun. I am about done with the 2nd game.

Another killer series. I loved the adventure style Indiana Jones story line and play them like once a year or so. I keep trying to get my daughter to play them and since she loves Tom Holland, I might have an in.

Just started the Demon's Souls remake... yea still trying to wrap my head around dying and starting at the beginning of the zone again (just cleared the first one). I've never been much of a parry or dodger so that makes things interesting.

#628 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Another killer series. I loved the adventure style Indiana Jones story line and play them like once a year or so. I keep trying to get my daughter to play them and since she loves Tom Holland, I might have an in.
Just started the Demon's Souls remake... yea still trying to wrap my head around dying and starting at the beginning of the zone again (just cleared the first one). I've never been much of a parry or dodger so that makes things interesting.

Play with a shield, and just block stuff, it helped me a lot starting out. Parrying isn’t too hard in DeS but takes some practice. Demons souls is all about finding shortcuts to open up so dying isn’t as punishing. It makes exploring a lot of fun in the game. Keep at it. Once it clicks you will be hooked. Also don’t be afraid to look up the level order. I was trying to play things sequentially and 1-2 was kicking my ass to the point of giving up, until I found out that going to 2-1 or 4-1 was a better option.

3 weeks later
#629 2 years ago

Picked up Deathloop in the sale. Pretty fun so far. My wife picked up GotG for me in the sale as well, but I have to wait until Xmas to open it :p

#630 2 years ago

I bought and played through Ratchet and Clank this past holiday weekend. That game for the first 5 hours is amazing. Then it becomes super repetitive with a big lack of ammo problem. When I was initially playing it, I was thinking this is way better than Psychonauts 2. By the end though, I think Psy 2 is a much better overall game. R&C just ran out of ideas like 1/2 way through, repeating the same enemies and bosses over and over, with barely any platforming. When you have to unload 12 different weapons at max ammo just to complete a stage, it's not fun anymore. I'd give it 10/10 for the first 5 hours, but overall maybe a 7 or 8. I think Psy 2 was a 9, though clearly it did not have the budget of R&C.

#631 2 years ago

Just started GoTG. Really enjoying it so far. Fun way to incorporate all the characters, with the ability to call on them to help out during battles that reminds of something like calling your fellow assassins in AC Brotherhood. Also, the gameplay is straightforward, closer to the storytelling of something like TLOU, as opposed to say Bloodborne, where you have limited spawn points and have to constantly traverse the same path over and over when something kills you.

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Picked up Deathloop in the sale. Pretty fun so far. My wife picked up GotG for me in the sale as well, but I have to wait until Xmas to open it :p

I was tempted to get deathloop too, but ultimately passed because my backlog is too big! I'm playing Yakuza 0 right now, and was also tempted just last night to get Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 ($5 and $8, respectively), but I've spent probably 30 hours on Yakuza 0 with plenty more to go and didn't want to buy two more 60hr games! This is my first foray into the Yakuza series, and it is awesome. The shear amount of things to do in the game is staggering. My lifetime thought was to work through all 6 of the Yakuza games, then eventually get to Like a Dragon, but after 0, I might just jump into Like a Dragon. Much different, turn-based style RPG vs the more standard Yakuza style.

#633 2 years ago

I tried to like Yakuza but couldn’t get into it. I like how goofy they can be tho.

I went ahead and started Deathloop because I know it isn’t a very long game. The overall design aesthetic is awesome and love just looking around at the world they created.

#634 2 years ago

It's pretty cutscene and dialogue heavy, but the goofiness is pretty entertaining, and I really do like the story so far. It's pretty much an interactive drama. if you take it for that, and not expect an extensively gameplay focused game, then you might approach it differently. I didn't know what to expect tbh, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially after seeing the praise that it got from the general consensus. Deathloop is definitely on my playlist. I'm not a huge FPS guy but I think I might like what it has to offer.

Speaking of FPS, I'm still sorta waiting to see if Cyberpunk is going to get patched enough where it's a good playing experience on the PS5. I'm not sure it'll ever get there though...which sucks because it seems like a really great game. I don't want to pony up $2k for a gaming rig though, even though I just got an Oculus Quest 2 a couple of months ago and love it and thought about making a VR capable PC...

#635 2 years ago

Currently, playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on my recently acquired PS5. I'm enjoying the game for what it is.

I just platinumed the PS5's pack-in game Astro's Playroom, which was a really fun platformer.

I love the Yakuza series and its spinoffs (Judgment, Lost Judgment, FotNS: Lost Paradise). I can't recommend the franchise enough. I recently just finished playing Lost Judgment, which is a film noir style murder mystery. Combat and most gameplay elements are very simiiar to Yakuza series, but adds stealth elements, clue hunting, and unique gadgets into the mold.

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's pretty cutscene and dialogue heavy, but the goofiness is pretty entertaining, and I really do like the story so far. It's pretty much an interactive drama. if you take it for that, and not expect an extensively gameplay focused game, then you might approach it differently. I didn't know what to expect tbh, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially after seeing the praise that it got from the general consensus. Deathloop is definitely on my playlist. I'm not a huge FPS guy but I think I might like what it has to offer.
Speaking of FPS, I'm still sorta waiting to see if Cyberpunk is going to get patched enough where it's a good playing experience on the PS5. I'm not sure it'll ever get there though...which sucks because it seems like a really great game. I don't want to pony up $2k for a gaming rig though, even though I just got an Oculus Quest 2 a couple of months ago and love it and thought about making a VR capable PC...

Deathloop feels more like Fallout than a fast paced FPS if that kind of thing matters. I am not a big FPS guy either but I like this one. I have been loving Halo Infinite and Lemnis Gate recently too so maybe I am more of a fan than I thought

#637 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Deathloop feels more like Fallout than a fast paced FPS if that kind of thing matters. I am not a big FPS guy either but I like this one. I have been loving Halo Infinite and Lemnis Gate recently too so maybe I am more of a fan than I thought

Loved Fallout 3 back in the day! Haven't kept up with that series though since I haven't gotten a new Xbox since the 360, but I know it's available for PS too. Just haven't gotten back to it. I much prefer a slower FPS over a more frenetic one any day. I dont have twitchy enough reflexes or control to play most mainstream FPSs lol.

Quoted from Shogun00:

Currently, playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on my recently acquired PS5. I'm enjoying the game for what it is.
I just platinumed the PS5's pack-in game Astro's Playroom, which was a really fun platformer.
I love the Yakuza series and its spinoffs (Judgment, Lost Judgment, FotNS: Lost Paradise). I can't recommend the franchise enough. I recently just finished playing Lost Judgment, which is a film noir style murder mystery. Combat and most gameplay elements are very simiiar to Yakuza series, but adds stealth elements, clue hunting, and unique gadgets into the mold.

I've only recently learned about the Judgement series! Gotta check that out one day too. Just too many damn games!

#638 2 years ago

Just got my $25 BF Guardians from Walmart and they are still shipping the pre-order steelbook with the new non pre-orders. It's a pretty slick looking case.

20211130_180127 (resized).jpg20211130_180127 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#640 2 years ago

If anyone wants a PS5, hit me up. I actually have a new one and a used one. (Bought a newer revision and planned to sell my original to a friend, but he backed out) the used controller needs a spring replaced, the left trigger is a little loose. Will sell either one and keep the other

#641 2 years ago

Finally managed to snag one on Cyber Monday. Nice Christmas gift to myself.

20211207_205614 (resized).jpg20211207_205614 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#642 2 years ago

Anybody get any fun Playstation stuffs for Xmas? I made out pretty well with 5 games

Guardians of the Galaxy
Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
Tales of Arise
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

I also picked up Dark Souls 2 for $10 in the sale online even though I have played it, I wanted all of the DS games on PS and it was the only one I was missing.

GotG is fantastic so far.

#643 2 years ago

My son gave me Far Cry 6 today as a gift. Never played the series before, but looking forward to checking it out.

#644 2 years ago

Yep this , a break from the norm

A6E69789-7B41-498A-A639-D08B0D8CDB89 (resized).jpegA6E69789-7B41-498A-A639-D08B0D8CDB89 (resized).jpeg
#645 2 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Yep this , a break from the norm
[quoted image]

I recently played that one on my PS5. Super Monkey Ball is a fun little game and I got a pretty good deal on the physical copy ($20 new).

#646 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Anybody get any fun Playstation stuffs for Xmas? I made out pretty well with 5 games
Guardians of the Galaxy
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
Tales of Arise
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
I also picked up Dark Souls 2 for $10 in the sale online even though I have played it, I wanted all of the DS games on PS and it was the only one I was missing.
GotG is fantastic so far.

I got:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Spiderman Miles Morales
Hades
Devil Mau Cry 5 Special Edition

I also got my kid a white switch OLED so I get mine back finally. Going to play Metroid Dread then crack into one of the above. I'm most excited for HZDFW in February. I'm going to jump into the first one again in the beginning of February to prepare for it.

#647 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I got:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spiderman Miles Morales
Hades
Devil Mau Cry 5 Special Edition
I also got my kid a white switch OLED so I get mine back finally. Going to play Metroid Dread then crack into one of the above. I'm most excited for HZDFW in February. I'm going to jump into the first one again in the beginning of February to prepare for it.

Nice, yeah I just played HZD for the first time a couple of months ago. I am very excited for Forbidden West. I have too much stuff to play before then though and also have to make the decision of to play FW first or Elden Ring

#648 2 years ago

I am crazy impressed with GotG. I think i prefer this cast and stories to the movies…and I love the movies.

#649 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I am crazy impressed with GotG.

Starting playing right before Christmas. Probably be the last I play on PS4. Loving it as well. Fun story, great gameplay.

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I'm most excited for HZDFW in February.

Finally picked up a PS5 with this game in mind, as well as the other big releases coming for 2022. Pretty excited about it.

#650 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Starting playing right before Christmas. Probably be the last I play on PS4. Loving it as well. Fun story, great gameplay.

Finally picked up a PS5 with this game in mind, as well as the other big releases coming for 2022. Pretty excited about it.

I'm so jealous. Been trying to buy a PS5 for nearly a year and a half.

There are 1,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-playstation-thread/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.