29FDA881-C6AE-4FDF-9FE0-FC1909E564CE (resized).png
Screenshot_20200919-173322 (resized).png
B9B421F6-C8BC-48E8-80B3-DB6C59828D6A (resized).jpeg
SJW GROW UP (resized).jpg
20200618_231824 (resized).jpg
90B1FF67-86E3-4F46-A1F0-FF88F4361D02.gif
F366DB8F-E95F-4C92-820E-A73CB600B477.gif
208FA9CB-6B76-4587-8136-C8B94711198F.jpeg

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
#501 12 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yup I am the same. I haven’t beaten the tower night yet. If the combat was a little more refined I would enjoy it more. It just seems the timing doesn’t make sense to my brain. Nioh 2 it just clicked for me and a lot of people say it is harder than souls games. I don’t think so at all.
I started God of War, while I am enjoying it, it is way more linear than I thought it would be. The combat is fine but nothing super exciting. It’s is very pretty tho.
I really like returnal a lot but I am going to wait on the save game patch to play it more as I have had 3 very frustrating crashes deep into runs.

GoW is probably one of my top 3 games all time. It's so good! As noted by jayhawkai it opens up a bit once you get your boat but it is still relatively linear without any major side quests. That's ok in my book because for games like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn (both of which I loved) or BotW, they are too open for my personal taste and the side quests just become optional collect-a-thons that don't really add to the main narrative. Some of that is ok, but a game can be too open imo. For that reason, I haven't played BotW for more than 25 or so hours.

There is some joy in being able to wander around and doing whatever you want, but there are times where I just want some direction, especially if I put a game down for some time and completely forget wth I'm doing lol.

#502 12 days ago
Quoted from seenev:

Trying to get a ps5 has been such a frustrating process that I think I'm just going to wait until there's a ps5 slim in a few years and let my ps plus account lapse. I rarely use it and I'll let withholding my $60 a year subscription fee be my protest.

The hot game this coming Christmas won’t be ps5. It will be the switch. I don’t even own one, but with zelda and availability they have an edge. IMO.

I wonder if the ps5 will ever actually launch? It hasn’t yet in my opinion.

I don’t need to replace my ps4 but I would have if I had seen a single one in a store in the last 15 months.

My money goes elsewhere… now.

#504 12 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The hot game this coming Christmas won’t be ps5. It will be the switch.

...if you're under the age of 12.

#505 12 days ago

My PS5 gets a lot of play, my Switch not so much. I'm trying to play Skyward Sword but the controls are still just so bad it's not fun. Do you really think a minor hardware revision with a slightly larger screen and a decade old generally disliked Zelda title are going make Nintendo dominate the holidays? I love Nintendo but the state of the industry is pretty clear. So many people in the industry grew up on Nintendo and now games like Ratchet and Clank have more Nintendo feeling than the stuff Nintendo produces. Nintendo has it's major releases but they only drop a couple a year.

I wouldn't expect to find PS5 on the shelf anytime from now till 22. Sony will continue to sell every unit they can produce long before it could get to a store. That being said if you want one it's really not that hard to get one without paying a scalper.

The only real question for the holidays is will Xbox actually manage to sway any one to their user base via subscription. It is getting a lot of attention but it's to early to tell if it will pay off. Right now it feels like they are just losing money to try and gain market share.

#506 12 days ago

I love my Switch. I've got a 8 and 6 yr old, and the Switch is much more conducive to us playing couch co-op together. Nintendo has the "family" thing down. No competition on that front.

The PS5 is for my "adult" games, even though the Switch offers similar titles. If choosing between the 2, the Switch is generally considered first due to its portability. The major downfall about the Switch was that it doesn't have the hardware power that we expect from modern day consoles. The resolution just doesn't cut it, so what could be beautiful games, are just nice looking, and there are some games that drop framerate when it gets intensive.

If/when they release the rumored Switch Pro, we'll probably upgrade for the increased horsepower and the 4K resolution...Even though the Steam Deck looks pretty amazing too. Switch-like portability with docking for big screen play. Can attach any peripherals like you would with a PC and full access to the Steam library. I don't have much of a Steam library, but would definitely start one up if the Steam Deck proves to be worthwhile.

#507 12 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

If/when they release the rumored Switch Pro, we'll probably upgrade for the increased horsepower and the 4K resolution...Even though the Steam Deck looks pretty amazing too. Switch-like portability with docking for big screen play. Can attach any peripherals like you would with a PC and full access to the Steam library. I don't have much of a Steam library, but would definitely start one up if the Steam Deck proves to be worthwhile.

Sadly the OLED Switch that drops in October appears to be the rumored "Pro" and it has no upgrades beyond the screen. Now all the signs are pointing that they are working on their next console and it is most likely a couple years out. I would love a true 4K 60 FPS Nintendo landmark game but sadly it just doesn't look like Nintendo wants to be in that space. They are kinda becoming far more corporate, it's all about profit margins these days. Nintendo doesn't seem to be focused on just making great games, they seem to be focused on using their licenses to make cheap games and cashing in. Sony is just dropping bombs with their exclusives and I am loving my PS5.

#508 12 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Sadly the OLED Switch that drops in October appears to be the rumored "Pro" and it has no upgrades beyond the screen. Now all the signs are pointing that they are working on their next console and it is most likely a couple years out. I would love a true 4K 60 FPS Nintendo landmark game but sadly it just doesn't look like Nintendo wants to be in that space. They are kinda becoming far more corporate, it's all about profit margins these days. Nintendo doesn't seem to be focused on just making great games, they seem to be focused on using their licenses to make cheap games and cashing in. Sony is just dropping bombs with their exclusives and I am loving my PS5.

If it happens, great! If not, then we have our Switch and it's doing just fine I'm not bothered either way since the games that Nintendo makes are cartoony enough that 1080p resolution is just fine. Where you're lacking are 3rd party games that would benefit from the better resolution and framerate, but that's what my PS4/PS5 are for!

Now Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok...those games will be gorgeous on the new hardware.

#509 12 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My PS5 gets a lot of play, my Switch not so much. I'm trying to play Skyward Sword but the controls are still just so bad it's not fun. Do you really think a minor hardware revision with a slightly larger screen and a decade old generally disliked Zelda title are going make Nintendo dominate the holidays? I love Nintendo but the state of the industry is pretty clear. So many people in the industry grew up on Nintendo and now games like Ratchet and Clank have more Nintendo feeling than the stuff Nintendo produces. Nintendo has it's major releases but they only drop a couple a year.
I wouldn't expect to find PS5 on the shelf anytime from now till 22. Sony will continue to sell every unit they can produce long before it could get to a store. That being said if you want one it's really not that hard to get one without paying a scalper.
The only real question for the holidays is will Xbox actually manage to sway any one to their user base via subscription. It is getting a lot of attention but it's to early to tell if it will pay off. Right now it feels like they are just losing money to try and gain market share.

The new game and absolute lack of availability on ps5 new systems will help Nintendo dominate. Nintendo is never to be underestimated. I can’t even buy a ps5 easily, so there’s that.

https://hypebeast.com/2021/5/nintendo-records-highest-operating-profit-in-fy2020

https://qz.com/1996287/why-you-still-cant-get-a-ps5/

#510 12 days ago

The Switch is great....but this is the Playstation thread if I am not mistaken

I still haven't snagged a PS5 yet myself, but I have been playing Neir:Autamata lately on the PS4. Cool it has different endings after you beat it the first time.

#511 12 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The new game and absolute lack of availability on ps5 new systems will help Nintendo dominate. Nintendo is never to be underestimated. I can’t even buy a ps5 easily, so there’s that.
https://hypebeast.com/2021/5/nintendo-records-highest-operating-profit-in-fy2020
https://qz.com/1996287/why-you-still-cant-get-a-ps5/

I'm not arguing that Nintendo makes record profits. My point is that they focus more on profit than making great games.

Getting a PS5 can be annoying for the average joe, that being said I have picked up at least 5 for friends. An hour of googling and you can get notifications when stock is in. I stopped picking them up for people because it was so easy.

When it comes to market share there is no comparison who is the top dog in console gaming.

#512 12 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Getting a PS5 can be annoying for the average joe, that being said I have picked up at least 5 for friends. An hour of googling and you can get notifications when stock is in. I stopped picking them up for people because it was so easy.

Show off. It took me 8 months to finally score one and I had to buy a huge bundle. I got the Twitter alerts and had a window open to 7 different retailers. Didn't matter...I couldn't even finish the transaction before it was removed from my cart. And I found out during this process that Best Buy blows.

#513 12 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Show off. It took me 8 months to finally score one and I had to buy a huge bundle. I got the Twitter alerts and had a window open to 7 different retailers. Didn't matter...I couldn't even finish the transaction before it was removed from my cart. And I found out during this process that Best Buy blows.

I’m in Canada maybe that’s why but usually you guys get big stock drops and a week or so later we get a trickle. I use a discord channel and have had no trouble.

#514 11 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not arguing that Nintendo makes record profits. My point is that they focus more on profit than making great games

Um…what?!

#515 11 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

GoW is probably one of my top 3 games all time. It's so good! As noted by jayhawkai it opens up a bit once you get your boat but it is still relatively linear without any major side quests. That's ok in my book because for games like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn (both of which I loved) or BotW, they are too open for my personal taste and the side quests just become optional collect-a-thons that don't really add to the main narrative. Some of that is ok, but a game can be too open imo. For that reason, I haven't played BotW for more than 25 or so hours.
There is some joy in being able to wander around and doing whatever you want, but there are times where I just want some direction, especially if I put a game down for some time and completely forget wth I'm doing lol.

I love open world games as well as linear games. For some reason GOW hasn’t grabbed me yet. The combat might have a lot to do with it right now. I am heavy into Monster Hunter Rise and Nioh 2 right now, which are a lot more engaging combat wise. Not saying I don’t like it. Just not as much as I thought I would.

#516 11 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

I love open world games as well as linear games. For some reason GOW hasn’t grabbed me yet. The combat might have a lot to do with it right now. I am heavy into Monster Hunter Rise and Nioh 2 right now, which are a lot more engaging combat wise. Not saying I don’t like it. Just not as much as I thought I would.

I've only tried a little bit of Monster Hunter in a demo, and felt that the combat was less refined than Nioh or GoW Nioh is very much precision and accuracy (in the same vein as the Souls games) and can be pretty methodic. GoW is not as methodic, but imo I think it's very satisfying. Especially once you start upgrading your stats. I think it's super fun, very refined, and a good bit challenging too later in the game without getting into spoiler territory Hopefully you can make it that far! GoW and Horizon are the 2 main reasons why I wanted to get a PS5. Usually, with past PS console launches, I've always waited to move "next gen" until after the revision, but this time around, I didn't want to miss on those 2 titles. They're that good!

#517 11 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've only tried a little bit of Monster Hunter in a demo, and felt that the combat was less refined than Nioh or GoW Nioh is very much precision and accuracy (in the same vein as the Souls games) and can be pretty methodic. GoW is not as methodic, but imo I think it's very satisfying. Especially once you start upgrading your stats. I think it's super fun, very refined, and a good bit challenging too later in the game without getting into spoiler territory Hopefully you can make it that far! GoW and Horizon are the 2 main reasons why I wanted to get a PS5. Usually, with past PS console launches, I've always waited to move "next gen" until after the revision, but this time around, I didn't want to miss on those 2 titles. They're that good!

Horizon will be released on PS4. For that reason alone I'm waiting to get a PS5 until the first revision.

#518 11 days ago

I only play 3 or 4 games a year. I takes me a while to get used to the controls of a new game and get interested in it. Playing Ghost of Tsushima now since it was a highly rated open world game. It's good, but kind of leaves me thinking something is missing. I've completed the main game and there just wasn't much of a story there. There's one bad guy you chase to 3 different main castles, kill him, and it's over. There's a couple hundred side missions, but they're all the same. Go rid an area of Mongols and get a small reward to level up your character. It feels like I should only be through part 1 of a 5 part game so far.

#519 11 days ago

Ratchet and Clank is a legit next generation experience worth the price of admission. It's fair that to say the landscape is pretty thin on the PS5 right now. At the same time they are doing a great job patching the major titles for PS4 and they are glorious. The timing is just right, for sure there is a bit of a lull of true next gen experience but its the perfect time to replay GOW, or TLOU2, Horizon.. at a silky smooth 60. I hadn't played Ghost of Tsushima and it was amazing on PS5 and the DLC is right around the corner.

#520 11 days ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I only play 3 or 4 games a year. I takes me a while to get used to the controls of a new game and get interested in it. Playing Ghost of Tsushima now since it was a highly rated open world game. It's good, but kind of leaves me thinking something is missing. I've completed the main game and there just wasn't much of a story there. There's one bad guy you chase to 3 different main castles, kill him, and it's over. There's a couple hundred side missions, but they're all the same. Go rid an area of Mongols and get a small reward to level up your character. It feels like I should only be through part 1 of a 5 part game so far.

I played Valhalla and man it was not for me, just such a grind and everything that is bad about open world games. I just got stuck in that spot that you put in so much time you have to see it through. I probably enjoyed it for the first 20% tolerated it to about halfway through and just grinded my way through in misery the entire second half. After that I played Ghost and it was so much more focused and driven and it progressed so much better. It never felt bloated with a bunch of tasks with no purpose everything felt fun. Every time he flicks his sword out with his thumb it was as awesome as the first time. You are just a badass gunslinger in feudal Japan. The combat was stellar and the game was so artistically beautiful. I agree with it was much shorter than typical open world games but I loved that and to me it was more like an adventure game.

#521 11 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I played Valhalla and man it was not for me, just such a grind and everything that is bad about open world games. I just got stuck in that spot that you put in so much time you have to see it through. I probably enjoyed it for the first 20% tolerated it to about halfway through and just grinded my way through in misery the entire second half. After that I played Ghost and it was so much more focused and driven and it progressed so much better. It never felt bloated with a bunch of tasks with no purpose everything felt fun. Every time he flicks his sword out with his thumb it was as awesome as the first time. You are just a badass gunslinger in feudal Japan. The combat was stellar and the game was so artistically beautiful. I agree with it was much shorter than typical open world games but I loved that and to me it was more like an adventure game.

After you've written a dozen Haikus and followed a fox from his den 20 times, it gets a little old. You earn those little charms throughout the game, but I didn't ever use them and tons were duplicates. I thought I'd find a way to sell the duplicates for extra supplies, but no luck.

#522 11 days ago
Quoted from loneacer:

After you've written a dozen Haikus and followed a fox from his den 20 times, it gets a little old. You earn those little charms throughout the game, but I didn't ever use them and tons were duplicates. I thought I'd find a way to sell the duplicates for extra supplies, but no luck.

That is fair but I never felt the need to do that stuff, I did the foxes when I came across them as they were quick and easy. The haikus were lame for sure. I enjoyed exploring the temples but I agree I only used a handful if charms the entire game. The combat was so good though and I loved just rolling into town and destroying, it was so satisfying, I played it on a harder difficulty. The story was awesome but I am a fan of the genre.

#523 11 days ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

The Switch is great....but this is the Playstation thread if I am not mistaken
I still haven't snagged a PS5 yet myself, but I have been playing Neir:Autamata lately on the PS4. Cool it has different endings after you beat it the first time.

NA is an amazing game and really one of the most depressing in many ways. One of the few where you really need to play the main game over and over so you get different perspectives and see the story develop. And some of the actual alternate endings are absolutely amazing (but you have to make certain decisions to get them--always helps to look at a walkthough with this one).

#525 11 days ago

I got Yakuza like a Dragon, I only took it because I had nothing else to play and it was on sale.

Now I'm going to buy every over Yakuza game, I totally got sucked into it. The story is captivting, the game has everything I like about Japanese twisted humor and there's a ton of things to do, piles of mini games, a bunch of Sega arcade emulated games, it's just non stop fun.

Highly recommended !

#526 11 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, I'm pissed off...finally got a PS5 bundle from Antonline, and the Playstation Plus code I got says it's been used already. Antonline passes it off as a Sony problem since everything they buy is direct from the factory. But what's to stop someone in the warehouse from writing down your code, selling it to someone else, and shipping you the used code? Now I'm waiting in a line of 250 people online at Sony to have them tell me tough shit. Then it's off to my credit card company. What a waste of time...
Ratchet and Clank are pretty cool, though.

Update on this: ANTOnline said it's Sony's problem...Sony said it's ANTOnline's problem...and ANTOnline sent me right back to Sony AGAIN. I'm done, and the waste of about 2 hours of my time is ridiculous. I had to open a dispute with the CC company and all I wanted was a PS Plus code that works. Anybody ever have this problem with a code, either with Xbox or PS?

#527 10 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

Um…what?!

I agree with him. I have a switch, ps5, and series X, and clearly of the 3 Nintendo is the one whose games are basically recycled gamecube games. That doesn't mean that they're not fun and that they're not good, just that they're not really trying that hard relatively. It's hard for me, as someone who owned a ps2, xbox, and gamecube almost 20 years ago, to say that Nintendo's trying when the ps2 to ps5 is a massive jump, the xbox to the series x is a massive jump, but then when you look at what was on the Gamecube compared to the Switch and their games really haven't gone anywhere.

#528 10 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I agree with him. I have a switch, ps5, and series X, and clearly of the 3 Nintendo is the one whose games are basically recycled gamecube games. That doesn't mean that they're not fun and that they're not good, just that they're not really trying that hard relatively. It's hard for me, as someone who owned a ps2, xbox, and gamecube almost 20 years ago, to say that Nintendo's trying when the ps2 to ps5 is a massive jump, the xbox to the series x is a massive jump, but then when you look at what was on the Gamecube compared to the Switch and their games really haven't gone anywhere.

Nintendo makes great games that's all what matters to me. They are also avoiding expensive project Ms can remain independent and still deliver boat loads of fantastic games without ever compromising quality.

I also enjoy the visually stunning AAA games on my PS5, but they leave a short trace in my memory, where I will never forget the thrill of every minute of each of my Zelda adventures.

#529 10 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I will complete the game. I like the game, just not as interesting gameplay wise as I was anticipating I guess. I am about 7-8 hours in so far. Monster Hunter is a game full of boss fights and that is why I enjoy it I think. It has a good gameplay loop for me. It isn't for everybody.

Some people love Nintendo for what they are and I am one of them. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Maker 2 etc are some of my favorite games ever. They can make the same kind of games forever and I will be happy b/c they are the kind of games I enjoy. I get what you are saying and they fill a need for a lot of people. They don't have to compete with Sony or MS and I don't think they should try. They are doing fine.

#530 10 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild,

If those were the only two games for Switch, I would still think it's worth getting.

#531 10 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

I got Yakuza like a Dragon, I only took it because I had nothing else to play and it was on sale.
Now I'm going to buy every over Yakuza game, I totally got sucked into it. The story is captivting, the game has everything I like about Japanese twisted humor and there's a ton of things to do, piles of mini games, a bunch of Sega arcade emulated games, it's just non stop fun.
Highly recommended !

I've always been intrigued by the Yakuza series, but thought it was too much like GTA, and I was over GTA at that time. I'm probably completely wrong lol. Do you have to play the other games in order to jump in with the latest?

#532 10 days ago

FYI if you have game pass, all the yakuza games are free right now. I know this is the PlayStation thread, but it might save some of you some money if you didn’t know that.

#533 10 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've always been intrigued by the Yakuza series, but thought it was too much like GTA, and I was over GTA at that time. I'm probably completely wrong lol. Do you have to play the other games in order to jump in with the latest?

Like a dragon seems to be a parallel story. It's also a bit different from the others. The others have some bta ingredients, this one is more rpg with a turned based battle system.

#534 10 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

FYI if you have game pass, all the yakuza games are free right now. I know this is the PlayStation thread, but it might save some of you some money if you didn’t know that.

That is where I tried them. They are not for me but I can see how they have a following.

#535 10 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

No game pass for me...yet.

I'll have to give it a shot some time. Seems like it doesn't take itself too seriously, which I always appreciate.

#536 9 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No game pass for me...yet.
I'll have to give it a shot some time. Seems like it doesn't take itself too seriously, which I always appreciate.

That is the one thing I did like about the one I played. It had a serious story but didn’t make it feel like it had to be that dire for every part of the game. Some parts are genuinely hilarious.

#537 9 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

That is the one thing I did like about the one I played. It had a serious story but didn’t make it feel like it had to be that dire for every part of the game. Some parts are genuinely hilarious.

Ok. you've convinced me now lol. Going to put Yakuza on my wishlist...the Legendary Hero Ed. is on sale for $54 right now....

#538 2 days ago

Finished the story on God of War. It was a good ride didn’t realize the final battle was the final battle at the time. Felt like there should have been more but we will get that in the next one. Loved the story and the look of the game tho. The endgame realms weren’t really that interesting for someone that isn’t going to mess with NG+ I feel.

Ratchet and Clank is next.

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside