"we've always had something of a ‘punk rock’ approach to pinball which has inadvertently defined us from the beginning. We never meant to be the ‘punk rockers’ of pinball, it just sort of happened that way because we were always just simple pinball guys at fun pinball gatherings. In hindsight, we should have just kept that going and worked with it through the end. So here we go, as loud and clear as I can: I am not a manufacturer, I am a pinball designer. I am not a business man, I am a life-long pinhead and over-dedicated arcade rat."
I feel awful for those who have money invested in this fool. I'm pretty sure he had it in his head to try and grind these games out and that Fox would just ignore it.
Yup after reading this my hunch is right. He was planning on building almost a million dollars worth of machines and hope to that FOX would never catch on.
Sorry guys, I'm sick and I have no "skin" involved. I'm used to these sort of things coming from the online poker world. I've seen scams and misdealings in the past four years go on for millions, and sadly most people don't get their money back and the scammer gets very little punishment. Hopefully the community uses this as a lesson about investing in start up. The preorder model from a boutique is pretty much dead.
Hope there is a way for a name to come along and salvage this project and get back some of your money.
Quoted from playboywillis:
I just can't get over the fact. He seriously thought once he had them built and shipped, this could never go back retroactively on them? Like someone from Fox wouldn't see one at a bar, see skit-b plastered on the side, done a quick google search that led him to Pinside, where some company sold Predator and is now making other games, and not sue the shit out of them!?
From reading the pinball news and blog post I have no doubt he had all intention of trying to build these things under the radar. It will be curious to see how courts would rule in the matter. Did he commit fraud or did everyone commit money to an idiot "business" man who ran his company into the ground. I think he full intended to build them, but the business practice of building a machine without a license was pretty idiotic. The only thing I'm sure of is the only people who will be seeing any money from Predator pinball is the lawyers.
If I was a betting man, the only people who I see getting any money out of this is the lawyers. I know it won't get anyone there money back, but I hope its Fox that gets him the hardest.
Quoted from Aurich:
I really, honestly think he meant to build them for everyone. I mean, if this was a scam it was a piss poor way to run one.
But still, there's zero excuse. There's no "but he seemed like one of us and a nice guy!". Maybe he was naive, maybe he really did talk to Fox and thought he was set.
But when you get a cease and desist it's obvious shit isn't cool anymore. And from that moment on the lies and fraud and bullshit start. And there's no "innocent Kevin" after that. He lied, LIED, to everyone. Even the people working with him who could get burned by that shit. No excuse.
100% agree with you, he is not innocent. He's a moron, plain and simple. Going from the blog post, I believe in his mind he thought he could build a bunch of machines and that the whole Fox thing would blow over. Judging by the "punk" rock statement in the blog, i believe that was his intent. Build a bunch of machines and stick it to the man.
He's a moron, someone who was way over his head who thought he could build these things under the radar. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if come this Monday he still has it in his head to make that he's still going to make them, he's a moron. As the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Quoted from PinChili:
Holy cow, that is a lot. Seems like it is proportionately more than it should be? I guess professions where you tend to make a little more $$ than others is expected when collecting expensive toys.
Lawyers make up about 5% of those who buy NIB pinball machines, while the other 95% are engineers.
Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside