Topic Stats

• 18,278 posts
  • 815 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by Mr68
  • Topic is favorited by 193 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,540 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Kulek.pdf (PDF preview)
6-pennywise-has-some-nickelback-funny-meme (resized).jpg
will-ferrell-fillwerrel-i-just-fell-down-the-stairs-holding-31512906 (resized).png
pinsiders (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
194b3475e0440b8112afc0ac4ad5bf0ed0e8ec3db63fb4b6748a4f2e06a9865b (resized).jpg
31A053C2-4495-4E3E-980F-E5ADEA02F1DE (resized).jpeg
IMG_2933 (resized).JPG
beetlejuice-shrunken head (resized).jpg
2716720260_bc8966f6b1 (resized).jpg
D460F55E-AD42-43C6-91EB-B8162A84A094.gif
Screenshot_20190103-214734_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181108-174321 (resized).png
Fife Appeal Sept 24 2018.pdf (PDF preview)
cat ooo 2.gif
7332539.attach (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

86 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 18278 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 366.
#1251 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Some people tried to do this to Stern concerning Star Trek. There's some guys in Texas that have proof

Unfunny.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Some people tried to do this to Stern concerning Star Trek. There's some guys in Texas that have proof Leonard Nimoy was murdered over it.

And I thought someone came back in time and actually was successful in assassinating Ambassador Spock. Just when you think you know the ending.

#1253 4 years ago

Please note: I have no interest in sabotaging this project, quite the opposite.

However, IIRC Kevin said he got all the rights to the movie, score and even the songs to be used in a commercially sold product. I may be wrong but maybe not, but I believe he said something like $5000 for all the rights.

Now, I don't believe that sounds right. Especially a song like 'Long Tall Sally' (which was licensed by Fox for the film), I don't think that gives Fox the ability to sell that song as a package with the rights to the movie. IOW, at least that song, is a whole separate issue. I also don't know the actors may be a whole other issue. I mean, Disney licenses the PotC movie but not the actors voices. There has to be a reason.

There is a movie "Slapshot" which was made with popular songs, but when it was released on VHS, those songs were replaced with no-name artists so that the movie company did not have to continue to pay for the real artists songs. These songs are big business and I think would cost a bit just to license one song. However if that were the case, I am sure Kevin could just omit that song in that were the issue.

found this link about song costs.

.I love the hockey movie Slap Shot with Paul Newman, and finally got around to getting it on DVD. I have seen it a few times on television before, and am old enough to have seen it in theatres. Problem is, as I listen to the soundtrack on the DVD version, I can’t identify any of the songs that I remember from the movie. What’s up? - M. Q. – via e-mail

This kind of thing happens quite often with both movies and television series. Slap Shot (1977) is the story of a tough bunch of minor league hockey players who struggle to just get through the day, let alone getting to the big time.

Paul Newman was Reg Dunlop, and Michael Ontkean played Ned Braden. For the day, the language was unbelievably salty, although by today’s standards, no big deal, and the rock-‘em-sock-‘em action was all about hurting the other guy.

You are quite right about the music – the songs you heard in the theatrical version, as well as those on the TV version, were all replaced for the VHS and DVD release. The reason is the price for the rights to the music.

When a “little” movie or TV series becomes popular, those whose music was included often want more for the rights. Sometimes the distributors pay, and sometimes they just replace the tunes because it’s much cheaper.

WKRP in Cincinnati had the same problem when the TV series went into syndication. All that great music that was played by Venus Flytrap became too expensive, so it was replaced . . . and the same thing held up the DVD release of that series for years.

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Whysnow, I'm not sure YOU are familiar with how any corporation operates based on some of these statements.
If you've ever even SEEN a contract from a company as big as FOX, you'd realize they tend to be EXTREMELY detailed is what's allowed and not allowed- to the point that ones eyes usually glass over. To suggest that they might not have been clear on things like online advertising and even the use of the WORD Predator is just insane, laughable, sad, or all three.
Also, to think a REAL licensing agreement would be so shoddy to make "phone calls from meddling kids" break it - it just beyond comprehension...

true dat... some of the contracts i have with some of my clients will literally make your brain want to leak out of your ears... they cover EVERYTHING...

someone should ask him to provide a copy of his original licensing agreement...

#1255 4 years ago

I personally would be fine when They finalize this project without The Song and The callouts. Exchanging These parts would be Way better than letting predator pin die in an Atomic blast . Hope that this could be a Solution....

#1256 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

However, IIRC Kevin said he got all the rights to the movie, score and even the songs to be used in a commercially sold product. I may be wrong but maybe not, but I believe he said something like $5000 for all the rights.
Now, I don't believe that sounds right. Especially a song like 'Long Tall Sally' (which was licensed by Fox for the film), I don't think that gives Fox the ability to sell that song as a package with the rights to the movie. IOW, at least that song, is a whole separate issue. I also don't know the actors may be a whole other issue. I mean, Disney licenses the PotC movie but not the actors voices. There has to be a reason.

Yeah, the actor part strikes me as weird too. I know what hoops Dutch Pinball had to jump through to get the actors for TBL on the playfield. And in the end remember they weren't allowed to do artistic renderings of their faces, they had to use photographs.

John Goodman had all kinds of rules about how his likeness could be used, like you couldn't show him with or next to a gun.

Julianne Moore is a L'Oreal Paris spokesmodel. Her contract is such that Dutch Pinball had to get her likeness approved by not only the movie studio, but L'Oreal too. They went back and forth like 7 times with them before they approved the photo, had to keep lightening it.

It was a lot of work, and had a lot of rules.

Just seems odd that Skit-B would be able to just get their buddy to draw up a comic book version of Arnie, and Ventura, serious public figures, and that's that. They showed it here on Pinside, obviously unfinished because people made suggestions (the shoulder mostly as I recall) and they changed them. Maybe there was an approval process we missed, but it seems like that went strangely smooth.

Anyone remember the story of the Demolition Man translite? Doug Watson had to draw like 10 versions of it because it turns out Wesley Snipes kept rejecting it, he didn't like the way he looked.

This shit is complicated, and takes a lot of approvals. I'm not straight up calling Kevin a liar here, just saying that it does seem odd. Doesn't pass the smell test. And we probably should have all thought about that a long time ago. I know I didn't really go through all that thinking at the time.

#1257 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

There is a movie "Slapshot" which was made with popular songs, but when it was released on VHS, those songs were replaced with no-name artists so that the movie company did not have to continue to pay for the real artists songs. These songs are big business and I think would cost a bit just to license one song. However if that were the case, I am sure Kevin could just omit that song in that were the issue.

Same thing happened with Married with Children when it was released on DVD. No Frank Sinatra "Love and Marriage" for the opening. It may sound like an overreaction but I can't watch that show without that song. It just doesn't feel right.

#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Same thing happened with Married with Children when it was released on DVD. No Frank Sinatra "Love and Marriage" for the opening. It may sound like an overreaction but I can't watch that show without that song. It just doesn't feel right.

Serious? I hadn't heard that. I grew up on that show, me, my brother and my dad. My dad loved the show JUST for that song at the intro. .. Wow.

#1259 4 years ago

Bosom Buddies too, was originally Billy Joel 'My Life' so I was watching the DVD and it was some crap singing a different song.

#1260 4 years ago

Why cant anybody Provide the names of the these upstanding people who have taken it upon them selves to decide what titles can and cant be made? If they have decided to make 250 collectors loose there money. They should be rewarded multiple law suites for there malice. Why let them hide behind a keyboard?

#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

Why cant anybody Provide the names of the these upstanding people who have taken it upon them selves to decide what titles can and cant be made? If they have decided to make 250 collectors loose there money. They should be rewarded multiple law suites for there malice. Why let them hide behind a keyboard?

there is one entity, and only one entity, that has taken money and not provided a product...

the "loss of money" is entirely upon that entity...

and that entity isn't PBN, or "mysterious callers", or anyone BUT skitb... THEY started a "business" (term used VERY loosely), promised a product, and collected money...

#1262 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

If 250 collectors lose their money, I'm pretty sure you already have the identity and contact info of the ONLY person who would be responsible.... It's the same guy you sent money to....

#1263 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That doesn't make you feel anxious? I mean, great, say you can get your money back. Cool. Is that what anyone really wants? Well, maybe now they just want their money back. But I presume that people who paid would rather see the pin.

You'll probably see a story on this on Pinball News sooner rather than later. But you don't blame the journalists for covering the story, they just report the news, they don't create it.
It's like trying to blame Watergate on the reporters, instead of Nixon.
Beyond that though, the premise is just ridiculous. Does anyone here thing they could stop Stern from shipping WWE by making a few phone calls?
"Hey, um, is this the WWE office? Uh, does Stern have the license to make a WWE game? Oh, they do? Uh, could you like, take it away from them? I don't like wrestling."

I never invest more money than I am willing to lose.

Besides, PRED theme is awesome and if there is even a small chance I'm getting one I'll stick it out.

Anxiety is saved for friends and family concerns. Sometimes work too, but other things in life are much more important.

I always respect your integrity Aurich, you're a stand up guy in my book.

Whysnow just takes a more zealot approach to his views. Gotta admire his passion, if nuthin else.

#1264 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Serious? I hadn't heard that. I grew up on that show, me, my brother and my dad. My dad loved the show JUST for that song at the intro. .. Wow.

Yeah and it isn't even a cover of the song by another singer, it is this really awkward instrumental

#1265 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

someone should ask him to provide a copy of his original licensing agreement...

That suggestion was made a long time ago. It was never provided. If I remember correctly, DP provided a copy of their licensing approval for TBL, so it can be done.

#1266 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Anxiety is saved for friends and family concerns. Sometimes work too, but other things in life are much more important.

Hey, not a bad philosophy. Sometimes people drop out of my projects for personal reasons involving family etc. I always tell them it's just pinball, focus on what's important.

I won't lie, I'm curious about this all. I've followed this project from the start, it's hard to not want to know the ending. I'm not rooting for a crappy end either, be much cooler to see people posting gameply videos of their new game. It's just that it's feeling hard to see that being the outcome. Sometimes you gotta just call it like you see it.

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I never invest more money than I am willing to lose.
Besides, PRED theme is awesome and if there is even a small chance I'm getting one I'll stick it out.
I always respect your integrity Aurich, you're a stand up guy in my book.
Whysnow just takes a more zealot approach to his views. Gotta admire his passion, if nuthin else.

most reasonable thing i've heard someone say in a long time

#1268 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That suggestion was made a long time ago. It was never provided. If I remember correctly, DP provided a copy of their licensing approval for TBL, so it can be done.

I can't remember if they actually provided anything from the license, but they did provide a copy of the Universal press release.

#1269 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can't remember if they actually provided anything from the license, but they did provide a copy of the Universal press release.

Ok, so no specifics, but at least some confirmation from the license holder that the license was approved for the pin.

#1270 4 years ago

Yeah and it isn't even a cover of the song by another singer, it is this really awkward instrumental

this is my only point. I bet "long Tall Sally" is not included in the package deal of Predator license. That's all I was saying. Not that's even anything to be concerned about. I was just saying Kevin could easily say we don't have that song, the pinball machine would still be made. But I suspect if that were the only issue he would have said it already. I am curious too about how much of the movie he has the license to now.

Please don't take that to mean I had anything to do with these mysterious callers. I'm on the side of the Pinsiders all the way. My only issue, if it ever sounded like I was upset, is that Kevin had a plan which was $250 deposit. Then collect money as the pins were being built. He changed that plan to $3000 in advance (and I assume, we all must have assumed that at that point, he would start building and shipping the pins which was 7 months ago now)

#1271 4 years ago

Got the letter and have been following podcasts, posts, interviews and other speculation from others in the past regarding Skit-B.
'I will continue to do everything I can to make sure that faith was not misplaced.'

Hoping this will all get sorted out for me and others.This quote from one of my favorite writers sort of sums it up on what I think about how things are going with Predator:

'I guess we always find excuses to keep on with our bad habits, don't we?' -Stephen King

#1272 4 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

This image got 1 "unsafe" tag and has ben hidden automatically, per your settings. un-hidefrabz-What-I-tell-My-friends-my-GF-looks-like-My-brother-my-GF-looks-l-7674f7.jpg (Click image to enlarge) 1

Wow shes hot...the one on the left lol

I didnt mean "your ex", i just ment "ones ex" in general.

Go Skit-B (for topic relevence)

#1273 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, not a bad philosophy. Sometimes people drop out of my projects for personal reasons involving family etc. I always tell them it's just pinball, focus on what's important.
I won't lie, I'm curious about this all. I've followed this project from the start, it's hard to not want to know the ending. I'm not rooting for a crappy end either, be much cooler to see people posting gameply videos of their new game. It's just that it's feeling hard to see that being the outcome. Sometimes you gotta just call it like you see it.

You and me both bro. I have a feeling this coaster ride hasn't hit the top yet.

#1274 4 years ago

This guy has been emailing me for a while now with all sorts of outlandish stuff and accusations about SkitB.

rinxy5000@gmail.com
He apparently set up this email under the name Greg Wells and says it is an alias.

he has outed himself as part of the TX group I am referring to. He also is the person saying that he has been working with Martin from PBN on the outing of SkitB and apparently pending 'breaking news'

Feel free to email and inquire if you want more information, but guessing you will get all sorts of cryptic stuff. He claimed to single me out for his communications but has been sending stuff to others I have been told.

They obviously are a bit ashamed for whatever actions they took as they are hiding behind a keyboard but trying to make Martin take more heat by naming him.
>>
"So who are "we" ?? We are going to remain nameless for now. (This Gmail is an alias, BTW) There will be too much of a temptation by some to forever label us "the guys who killed Skit-B" and it's not a tagline we want to own. Kevin did this to himself. Besides, we're all on PinSide and going back, it probably won't be hard to decipher who we were (although each of us will never admit it)."

" But after sitting on this for 5 months, and working closely with Martin Ayub on a responsible rollout of a vetted and on-the-record story, that will be the way this goes down." <<

I specifically attempted to reach out to PBN after getting an email from the alias assuming that if? they have a story "on the record" then they would likely be willing to talk with me as they supposedly gather 'facts'. PBN did not reply to my email, which makes it even that much stranger that they are named by the anonymous guy from TX.

Maybe he (anonymous emailer) is just punking me, and honestly up until the recent email from Kevin, I figured it was my favorite troll just being a sociopath.

#1275 4 years ago

Well, unfortunately Martin has been thrown in the middle of this. A post that either confirms he's aware of some activity with SkitB, more to come or denial altogether could put this to rest. The cat is either out of the bag or there is no cat.

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe he is just punking me, and honestly up until the recent email from Kevin, I figured it was my favorite troll just being a sociopath.

This is not cool behavior. I don't understand why anyone would even care, why piss on this project. Kevin is a cool dude, he has enough to worry about without someone trying to sabotage him.

Also, while I was upset when Kevin asked for most of the money up front, it was not a big deal and he refunded me within a day or so. So I have no ill will at all, I actually made out better since I got IMVE which I really love. So in any case, the change in collecting money just made my life easier. I just check on this tread out of curiosity to see what's going on, and why it's taking so long to build this pin, clearly money should not be an issue.

#1277 4 years ago

Well, if pinball news has something to add here, it would be appreciated.

Martin is a great guy, I'm sure he has a clue what's going on by this time.

#1278 4 years ago

I dunno what you would say to Martin Hilton, you've admitted you don't have any of the inside info.

I can tell you Martin has talked to Kevin, and other people involved. So no, that part at least isn't made up. The rest I couldn't say.

#1279 4 years ago

Who the F is Martin Hilton?

#1280 4 years ago

New mail from Kevin. Check your inboxes fellow preorderers.

#1281 4 years ago

#1283 4 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno what you would say to Martin, Hilton, you've admitted you don't have any of the inside info.

#1284 4 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

lol, sorry, that's two names, Hilton = whysnow, didn't mean to make that confusing.

#1285 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

lol, sorry, that's two names, Hilton = whysnow, didn't mean to make that confusing.

So Kevin invested into Mumbai hotel chains????

#1286 4 years ago

After reading the last 200 replies, my first thought is:

"You mean the next time Stern announces a crappy license, all we have to do make a couple phone calls and get it revoked? SWEET!"

Obviously I'm just kidding.

#1287 4 years ago

I've let Martin know about the comments, don't know if he'll choose to reply to them.

#1288 4 years ago

Kevin just sent out an email providing further clarification. All is moving along.

#1289 4 years ago

predator-martin-hilton-1.png

#1290 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

it really is that simple, isn't it? collect money, have responsibility for that money...
blame everyone except the person who took the money... yea, that'll work...

When in doubt, delegate the blame.

Protect the bureaucracy at all costs.

#1291 4 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Who the F is Martin?

apparently a guy that runs pinball news and has been investigating claims of Predator license issues or lack of issues???

#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is not smear Aurich.
ANYONE that is involved in the attempt to take down a project like this will lose any sliver of cred.
IF SkitB never had a license then of course that is a huge issue and they will take ultimate blame for lying to 250 pre-orders (I have no reason to think that is the case besides the continuous emails I keep getting from the 'anonymous' group from TX) , but I will still hold true that it is pretty sad if PBN is involved in bringing that to light in anyway. From what the TX guys say, they have been working with PBN on this 'story' for over 6 months?

It's PBN's responsibility to bring it to light if it's true and they have inside knowledge, because it hurts pinball as a whole if we have manufacturers playing fast and loose with licensing contracts.

If this is true, what do you think will happen the next time Spooky, Heighway or possibly even Stern approach Fox? "Another pinball company? Ehh, they're a pain in the ass to deal with and don't respect our IP. Small potatoes anyway. Pass."

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

Err what has Pinball News really got to do with this? As someone who has had the pleasure of knowing Martin for the last few years, I really can't think of anyone less likely to post anything defamatory about any individuals or companies. He's someone who genuinely loves playing pinball and writing about it. It's a great site that supports all sorts of developments within the scene.
Whilst there may well be a very interesting story that comes out of all of this I really can't see him routing through people's dustbins to uncover their guilty little secrets.

I have to second this. I've known Martin since 2009, wrote about a dozen articles for his site and saw him every year at PPE. IME his personality is such that if he runs into 'questionable' news, he exercises extreme discretion, particularly if it has nothing to do with him personally.

Let me suggest some easier and/or more plausible targets:

1) Wayne
2) Frankfurter
3) The ghost of Harry Williams
4) Python the reanimated zombie

#1294 4 years ago

I am glad this has not stinted any of my Ghostbusters pinball preorders for $8500 that will be available in 2019. That 2016 on the website had the 9 upside down.

#1295 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Let me suggest some easier and/or more plausible targets:
1) Wayne
2) Frankfurter
3) The ghost of Harry Williams
4) Python the reanimated zombie

I'm personally very suspicious about this new Ghost Taking a Dump character I'm hearing about. He sounds extra shifty. Who knows what kind of emails he's been sending while sitting on the crapper, or in some dark back alley corner.

#1296 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can tell you Martin has talked to Kevin, and other people involved. So no, that part at least isn't made up. The rest I couldn't say.

So what all do you know that you are keeping under wraps Aurich? Sounds like you have the inside scoop???

If you are confirming that PBN is talking with SkitB, I would hope PBN is also a responsible reporter and he will be sure to name all parties in his article (including the ones that are apparently working with him and have been anonymously emailing me).

#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would hope PBN is also a responsible reporter and he will be sure to name all parties in his article (including the ones that are apparently working with him and have been anonymously emailing me).

Is that how you really think reporting/journalism works, naming confidential sources? LOL

No one would be willing to wistleblow is they were outed. A journalist gets tips/leads from confidants and then does journalism to ferret out the truth or disprove the source. Come on man, you're better than that. With the amount of protesting you are doing, I surmise Kevin's email has you more shaken than your blustering is letting on.

#1298 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would hope PBN is also a responsible reporter and he will be sure to name all parties in his article (including the ones that are apparently working with him and have been anonymously emailing me).

oh just stop it. why should Martin do what you think he should do, just because you decided that is the responsible thing to do? i'm another one here that knows Martin as a friend, and this is just nonsense. leave the poor guy out of it.

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Is that how you really think reporting/journalism works, naming confidential sources? LOL
No one would be willing to wistleblow is they were outed. A journalist gets tips/leads from confidants and then does journalism to ferret out the truth or disprove the source. Come on man, you're better than that.

I agree with you.

Although I think what Hilton is trying to do is have others "fess up" if they are also receiving info from anonymous sources on the "major issues" Kevin eluded to in his email to owners. While Hilton is overly passionate in uncovering the "nameless" accusers and what they are alledging; he's also trying to say he's not a lone gunman in knowing something.

Again, is there a cat in the bag or just a bag? Drama seems so unnecessary. I feel like it's a radio teaser - keep listening through the commercials until the next segment. Ugh!

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I agree with you.
Although I think what Hilton is trying to do is have others "fess up" if they are also receiving info from anonymous sources on the "major issues" Kevin eluded to in his email to owners. While Hilton is overly passionate in uncovering the "nameless" accusers and what they are alledging; he's also trying to say he's not a lone gunman in knowing something.
Again, is there a cat in the bag or just a bag? Drama seems so unnecessary. I feel like it's a radio teaser - keep listening through the commercials until the next segment. Ugh!

That's a fair assessment. If pbn does investigate the allegations, the anonymous sources are a moot point once the investigating process starts. As you said, cat, bag, etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
€ 60.00
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 22.00
Hardware
The MOD Couple
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.00
Boards
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 4,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 29.95
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 59.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 18278 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 366.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside