Clevon (resized).jpg
0C707122-51D1-4488-8B69-8C91DA48018D.jpeg
72329539_10219705910182373_6362298985876553728_n (resized).jpg
pirateplayersclub (resized).jpg
case against keith.pdf (PDF preview)
_2_16-21030.pdf (PDF preview)
Kulek.pdf (PDF preview)
6-pennywise-has-some-nickelback-funny-meme (resized).jpg
will-ferrell-fillwerrel-i-just-fell-down-the-stairs-holding-31512906 (resized).png
pinsiders (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

87 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,488 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 370.
#10251 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

still progressing. There was some back and forth deciding which court needed to hear the case. That seems to be settled now. Gears of the system are turning slowly but still turning.

Thanks Hilton, any word of progress is reassuring.

#10252 8 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

If he would have kept it to a machine or 5, nobody would have taken notice, like the guys who did the Matrix. No license issue there, right?

Strictly speaking, *any* number violates IP and copyright laws.

However, for the most part, fan-made stuff is generally treated with leniency so long as the person is only creating for their self and not making any money at it. Partially, it's is goodwill towards the fanbase and partially not worth the expense of sending lawyers after a project that small.

In the case of skit-b, Kevin inteded to build several games for profit using someone else's IP and copyrights.

Quoted from PeterG:

If he could have rebranded the predator theme to something else and settle with FOX on the mistake made, he could have build a set of pins, or not?

I imagine he could have used an unlicensed theme, however, a good part of the draw for this particular game was the theme. There's no telling what it would have been like if it were something else entirely.

#10253 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I imagine he could have used an unlicensed theme, however, a good part of the draw for this particular game was the theme. There's no telling what it would have been like if it were something else entirely.

In general the game was viewed as being very basic in layout design (shots, flow, etc.), toys (and lets not talk about the UV), etc., especially by today's standards. While it could be argued that it fit the era of the movie (and machines of that time), hard to see this game being successful without the Predator Theme, which was far and a way the selling point, and the theme was pretty well implemented.

#10254 8 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I just wonder:
If he would have kept it to a machine or 5, nobody would have taken notice, like the guys who did the Matrix. No license issue there, right?
If he could have rebranded the predator theme to something else and settle with FOX on the mistake made, he could have build a set of pins, or not?

Where he went wrong was selling 250 machines (and the lies that went with it). Had he just made a few custom games and sold them on the down low, no one would notice or care.

#10255 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Where he went wrong was selling 250 machines (and the lies that went with it). Had he just made a few custom games and sold them on the down low, no one would notice or care.

At the end of the day, where he went wrong was not having a license and claiming he did. That was the foundation he used to build the game and collect a massive amount money. When that foundation cracked it all came falling down and the buyers were the ones who were left standing in the rubble.

If he had cranked the games out faster, it is possible he would have gotten away with it, at least in the short term. He was legit on the EoD license -- not that it appeared anyone was interested. You have to think that money on that project could ultimately have come under risk if Fox eventually did learn about Predator, even after they had shipped, and went after him. I wonder what the EoD guys know about what went down.

#10256 8 years ago

How do you know EoD was ligit?

Quoted from rosh:

...He was legit on the EoD license -- not that it appeared anyone was interested. You have to think that money on that project could ultimately have come under risk if Fox eventually did learn about Predator, even after they had shipped, and went after him. I wonder what the EoD guys know about what went down.

#10257 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Strictly speaking, *any* number violates IP and copyright laws.
However, for the most part, fan-made stuff is generally treated with leniency so long as the person is only creating for their self and not making any money at it.

I'm sure this is how the whole project started:

* After having a few beers and watching the Predator DVD, Kevin calls the number on the back of the box and asks if he can make a Predator Pinball Machine because they love the movie and love pinball.

* The secretary on the phone tells him as long as he makes it for himself and does not make any profit, he should be fine.

* Kevin hears: as long as I build the pinball machines myself and register as a non-profit, I have a license!

#10258 8 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

How do you know EoD was ligit?

Jamie Hyneman signed it.

#10259 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Technically the matrix guys illegally sold those machines for profit. And it's not just about skimping out on licensing, it's about protecting the brand. Imagine if someone wanted to do Hitler Vs superman.. it's only a few machines right? Well if it shows up at shows, or youtube and gets a lot of hits and DC comics finds out the machine was sold for profit, they may have an issue with that.

but anyone can make one as a one of and doesn't matter. Eventually a one of will be sold down the road. Could be a profit could not. Who knows. nothing is stopping anyone from making any theme they want.

#10260 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I heard something about that...the guy who played "Hawkins" is a writer....and supposedly helping write the script. Hope its better than the last one....."Predators"

Yeah that's Shane Black of Lethal Weapons fame. Although he did write Iron Man 3 which was just horrible.

#10261 8 years ago

Gotcha...I didn't know that....I'm just hopeful it's better than the Aliens vs Predator....or Predators....all those movies were just awful to me. Loved Predator 1 & 2

#10262 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but anyone can make one as a one of and doesn't matter. Eventually a one of will be sold down the road. Could be a profit could not. Who knows. nothing is stopping anyone from making any theme they want

True.. and that's why the goonies guy did NOT disclose what he sold it for. Also note that when Ben Heck sold his Bill Paxton, I believe he sold it for the money he put into it (parts), he did not include his labor which is why he sold it for only $2k.

#10263 8 years ago

I'm not sure why anybody expects any Predator movie to be good.

It's a 2nd-rate alien knockoff. Without Arnold where's the charm?

#10264 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure why anybody expects any Predator movie to be good.

Any movie could be good.

It just needs a good script, director and actors.

Who would have ever guessed that Final Destination 5 would have been the great movie that it was?

#10265 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Jamie Hyneman signed it.

What did he sign?

#10266 8 years ago

So far, only one predator movie has been good. And that's cause I was 12.

I think the trend of terrible predator movies will likely continue.

#10267 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So far, only one predator movie has been good. And that's cause I was 12.
I think the trend of terrible predator movies will likely continue.

That's fair.

#10268 8 years ago

The translite I believe.

#10269 8 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

What did he sign?

Jamie had appeared at one of the pinball shows out west with Kevin to promote the game. I believe a few folks around here saw the signed agreement (Aaron from FAST may have been one of them) -- the agreement was not with Mythbusters, but directly with Jamie and Adam, thus the reason the game was named Experts of Dangerous, which was what they used before mythbusters.

there may be a photo somewhere on pinside of Jamie at the event. Here you go . . .

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skit-b-2nd-game/page/12#post-1773283

When it was announced, they said JJP would be doing the manufacturing, which would have been interesting to see.

#10270 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Any movie could be good.
It just needs a good script, director and actors.
Who would have ever guessed that Final Destination 5 would have been the great movie that it was?

final destination 5 was good? I didn't see it but it's not one I would think would be worth a shit.

#10271 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

final destination 5 was good? I didn't see it but it's not one I would think would be worth a shit.

That's what I'm saying.

You would think that so far into the series, it would suck, but it's probably the best of them all.

#10272 8 years ago

I actually enjoyed Predators... Adrien Brody, Walton Goggins, lots of action. YMMV.

#10273 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's what I'm saying.
You would think that so far into the series, it would suck, but it's probably the best of them all.

netflix here i come.

#10274 8 years ago

I really liked the Unrated Alien vs Predator....

aliens_vs_predator_(resized).jpgaliens_vs_predator_(resized).jpg

#10275 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's not. The first one was entertaining, but each sequel got worse and worse. I think starting w/ the third, there's always a character says something like "Hey I found out on the internet that someone cheated death and then everyone died in the order they should have". Derp.

#10276 8 years ago

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/?search=final+destination

Final Dest 5 is the best of the series.

final-dest_(resized).jpgfinal-dest_(resized).jpg

#10277 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

I actually enjoyed Predators... Adrien Brody, Walton Goggins, lots of action. YMMV.

And I thought I was the only one....at least the story line was more entertaining...predator 2 with glover and Busey sucked balls....the ending was a joke.

#10278 8 years ago

i'm sure it's streamable. Only thing I'll lose is 2 hours, but i'll put it on while i'm restoring so nothing will be wasted. Hence how I watch a bunch of B movies...some really terrible.

#10279 8 years ago

My buddy told me that Aliens vs. Predator had good action. So I fast forwarded through all the dialogue and only watched the action. Thought it was SPOT ON! Aliens and Predators kicking ass and humans getting their asses kicked.

#10280 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

So I fast forwarded through all the dialogue

The dialogue is not bad either....

#10281 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

My buddy told me that Aliens vs. Predator had good action. So I fast forwarded through all the dialogue and only watched the action. Thought it was SPOT ON! Aliens and Predators kicking ass and humans getting their asses kicked.

It's actually pretty good, and I'm pretty picky about new films. It's nowhere near any of the source films, but it was entertaining.

#10282 8 years ago

I've thought they were all decent entertainment. I don't seek any of them out to watch them, but I won't turn them off if they are on and I'm surfing.

#10283 8 years ago

Damn, I was hoping to hear about jail time for Kevin but instead found a bunch of movie critics.

#10284 8 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Damn, I was hoping to hear about jail time for Kevin but instead found a bunch of movie critics.

We aim to please

#10285 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think starting w/ the third, there's always a character says something like "Hey I found out on the internet that someone cheated death and then everyone died in the order they should have". Derp.

Spoiler ALERT

#10286 8 years ago

Didn't someone win a free experts of dangerous game at California extreme when it was announced? Wonder if they got anything in writing on that.

#10287 8 years ago

I think the winner got a playfield? Or a free one time legal council

#10288 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I think the winner got a playfield? Or a free one time legal council

Refund_Dept_(resized).jpgRefund_Dept_(resized).jpg

#10289 8 years ago

That pic gives me the heebie geebies

It's thurs, feb 19, 2026.
...Yep, Kevin Kulek is still a massive chickensh!t douchebag.

#10290 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

It's fri, feb 19, 2026

Even 10 years further into the future. Excellent prognostication!

#10291 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

That pic gives me the heebie geebies
It's fri, feb 19, 2026.
...Yep, Kevin Kulek is still a massive douchebag.

Sorry, Feb 19, 2026 falls on a Thursday.

#10292 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

They're predicting snow.

#10293 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Corrected, I left an important word out

#10294 8 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Refund_Dept_(resized).jpg

It would be nice to see their pictures in the post office.

#10295 8 years ago

yes I heard the post office will be coming out with their new "'criminal series" of stamps

#10296 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

It would be nice to see their pictures in the post office.

Not like they are hiding from the law. The law is failing to take action, which is salt in the wounds for those who were ripped off.

#10297 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The law is failing to take action, which is salt in the wounds for those who were ripped off.

It's the legal system and it works the same for all. A bunch of people are suing some poor ($) person for a bunch of monies he doesn't have. What's the rush?

#10298 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's the legal system and it works the same for all. A bunch of people are suing some poor ($) person for a bunch of monies he doesn't have. What's the rush?

- removed-

#10299 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's the legal system and it works the same for all

totally disagree with this statement, as far as "works the same for all", but that is a conversation/debate for another time/place.

#10300 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

totally disagree with this statement, as far as "works the same for all", but that is a conversation/debate for another time/place.

Well I don't know how diff'rent civil court is for diff'rent folks. But anyway, I was going to put that it "worked the same (for all white people)" but I didn't want think anyone would really want to get into it since it has nothing to do with the topic on hand.

There are 18,488 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 370.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-skit-b-predator-discussion/page/206 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.