A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

I haven't seen When Marnie Was There (yet), but I did really enjoy Only Yesterday, which was recently released in America for (I think) the first time. A little slight but the overall story was nice. I really appreciate Ghibli's style, attention to detail, and willingness to go slow in their narratives.

#28 7 years ago

Soderbergh is great. Sex Lies & Videotape is still riveting, as is Erin Brockovich, and Gray's Anatomy introduced me to Spalding Gray, who's amazing. His Solaris isn't better than Tarkovsky's, but the soundtrack is super, super cool and chill.

#30 7 years ago

Eh, can't be worse than Ocean's 12.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

An all female team doesn't seem like it would happen in real life because most people just want the best person for the job. They don't care about gender. If you're doing a con job it would seem like you would need different kinds of people as well.

Does that mean the all-male team in Ocean's 11 is also unrealistic?

#58 7 years ago

Another excellent documentary about small town USA life is Rich Hill, which follows a handful of poor kids in the south. There's some really gorgeous photography in it, and the kids themselves are really interesting. It might make a good double feature with "Born Rich", which was a documentary by the heir to the Johnson and Johnson fortune where he interviewed all of his friends who were born rich.

2 months later
#351 7 years ago

"Arrival" is incredible. Really moving use of sci-fi concepts and amazing direction.

Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy a couple of days ago...WTF??? Why is this movie so popular? It was just like Jupiter Ascending but with a heap of references to (completely unrelated) other movies. No plot, no character development, WAY too much CGI. The talking raccoon was the only remotely engaging character (and did he even have a back story???). I don't say this very often but...0/10.

Yeah, I didn't care for it either, it felt like a movie made by committee.

6 months later
#567 6 years ago

Saw Alien: Covenant, it was passably entertaining but otherwise a forgettable rehash. It's funny that people are focusing so much on the aliens that they're not even, like, alien anymore. The whole thrill of the original film was that you didn't know what it would do next, but now they're so rote it's like a tradition. Some of the stuff with David's experimentation was cool, I liked the Island of Dr Moreau vibes. Too bad about the rest of it.

#569 6 years ago

It just feels like such a limp compromise between doing something new and trying to hook viewers with something they're familiar with. The franchise is such a product now, all the creativity is suffocated by this obsessive need to kowtow to Approved Concepts. Just make a new movie!

#579 6 years ago

I liked her, she looked like a real person, it's nice to have someone in a movie who doesn't look like they were plastiformed.

#592 6 years ago

I've heard both good and bad things about Wonder Woman, but man, idk, I just can't get excited for any of these superhero movies. They're so corporate.

Quoted from scylla:

I'm watching it again now because I'm a huge fan and my husband just left on a business trip (and isn't around to ask me why the heck I'm watching it for like the 30th time).

hahaha

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Indeed. They pretty much all follow the same format...
Hero introduced
Hero meets love interest
Bad guy does something very bad
Hero and bad guy have an extremely prolonged fight
Hero wins
Live interest is happy
End
I haven't seen WW but I bet it is much the same.
Mind you, with an $100m opening weekend, why would the studios ever change the format? They're laughing all the way to the bank.
rd

Hah, yeah, I know they'll just churn these out for years. They feel like they're designed by committee. I didn't even like Deadpool or Guardians, because even those felt like a bunch of people in suits sat around with big graphs and sheets showing them exactly how weird or offensive they could be before their market numbers dropped.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread?tu=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.