A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rooky79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 7 years ago

Want some off the radar indie films?

Frank - Bizarre but brilliant

Cheap Thrills - You just want to see how far they'll go for cash

Tyrannosaur - Very hard watch and brutal

Dead Mans Shoes -

Sid and Nancy - Been rereleased in the cinemas for the anniversary

American Mary - Just watch it. Not going to ruin it

SCUM - Ray Winstons first film at the tender age of 19 about a british boarstal. Savage story

Starred up - Prison Flick

Searching for Sugarman - Good doco

Beneath the Surface - Good doco about my mate from the UK; big wave surfer Andrew Cotton searching for a spot in Ireland

2 weeks later
#180 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

A movie like that for me was Requiem for a Dream. An amazing movie that was a singular experience. I'll probably never watch it again but I would recommend it to anyone who likes harsh reality type movies.

Yeah harsh film with a rough ending. Tyrannosaur and Harry Brown are like that. One watch only because it takes too much energy to get through from the bleakness. Great films, just hard going

1 week later
#198 7 years ago

Bad boy bubby

2 weeks later
#241 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That looks pretty weird! I will probably go see it this week ...
rd

1080p Version is up on Kodi.

Not that I use that sort of thing.

Definitely not worth paying for. It is seriously odd and not really in a good way

Definitely different though

1 week later
#307 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So what's the consensus on Sin City and Sin City 2? I watched the first one maaaany years ago and can't remember much of it.
rd

Both don't work onscreen for me. Trying to take a graphic novel and putting it to film in that style is too ambitious which can be be both bad and amazing if pulled off. Unfortunately; watchmen, sin city, preacher etc just don't do them justice. I have some hope for Y: The last man.

Killing joke and the dark knight were pretty great animations of the graphic novels though. Killing joke has to be the darkest joker/batman novel ever

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

"these were comics not graphic novels. 'Graphic novel' is movie code for comics"

"Graphic Novel" was coined by the comic fan and aficionado;Richard Kyle in an essay in 1964. Not movie code for comics at all.

Whether you use the term comics, graphic novels or albums. None are incorrect. Tomato, tomato

I'd love it if they had a go at adapting "The Boys" to cellular film. Garth Ennis is the man. Just a shame that Preacher didn't live up to my expectations. Apart from Arseface and Cassidy, I thought they casted it all wrong

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I A Dame To Kill For was one of the best stories though from the comics. Clive Owen as Dwight was one of my favorite characters from the first movie. I was a little disappointed with Josh Brolin as Dwight. He's missing the swagger and stylishness Clive Owen gave the character. He's more a brute force like Mickey Rourke's character, Marv.

Certainly agree with you there. Wonder why Clive Owen didn't take up the role again. I'm a fan of Brolin but he went the wrong direction with this for sure

#314 7 years ago

No I listen to lots of podcasts at work on all sorts of things.

I see Steve Dillon died today. Bummer

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That is sad. He did some pretty good work with Garth Ennis. I also enjoyed his work on Wolverine: Origins.

Yeah he was never my favourite but what he did in Hellblazer I liked. He was only 54 too.

Films! That's where we were.

Watched lights out last night

Absolute tosh of a horror flick. 3/10

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

We can talk about movies whenever. I hardly ever get to talk about comics.
You said you listen to comics podcasts. Do you have any suggestions for good ones? Maybe history of comics would be good since I don't read too many current comics. I used to listen to Cape Crisis but that was more for current comics.

I listen to so many different types of podcasts. Some are quite good, some I'll listen to one and move on. Comics and history is one, talking comics is another. Stuff you should know is good too. I'm pretty sure the stuff that was about the terms albums or graphic novels or comic books were in an actual book club podcast and not a comic one; but I'm sure Kevin Smith was involved so I can't remember. History of Batman was quite good

I listen to a lot of audio dramas too like We're Alive which is awesome and Serial.

No sure if you're android or apple (I'm apple), but let me wade through all my shit (I have 250+ subscriptions) and weed out the good ones for you. I listen too some awesome film review ones too with Kermode and Mayo being my favourite one.

I want to read some more with Darrick Robertson illustrating. Love his art style. I've been told Transmetropolitan is a good one. Have you read it? You know of any more he did?

Sorry Dave for us hijacking your film thread mate.

2 weeks later
#353 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Thanks, good to know! Planning to see it tonight.

You should read the short story it's based from. And I mean it is a real short story.

Great in its own way that something so short provokes so much thought; but the film takes all of it and makes it a great flick.

Enjoy guys

6 months later
#586 6 years ago

Trainspotting 2:

It's fantastic to have a true sequel and wanting to catch up with characters you gave a shit about 20 years ago.

It's poignant about reaching middle age and wondering what the fuck went wrong.

It's lovely that you get to see Spuds journey on becoming a better person for his ex wife and kid.

Begbie and Sick Boy, harsh and villainous as ever.

Side note: I'm English and could have done with some subtitles at times. The Scottish accent is thick as molasses

Fuck remakes and reboots. I want to see what these characters have been up to.

Now let's have a bit more of that.

I want to see what Jack Burton has been up to the last thirty years

8 months later
#971 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Black Panther
Out front - I don’t get the hype. I thought it was boring.
You have a secret civilisation with a cool metal called vibranium. They have a cool city with trains that don’t have tracks (see the cool opening shot of the city that has the train going through the rings in the sky) They have the kings sister who is an exact ripoff of Q from James Bond, who makes amazing stuff like spaceships that cloak into invisibility. Yet they fight hand to hand with spears and ancient hand weapons, and half the population lives in dirt shacks. Ok. And in the last scene, the king stands in front of ghetto style graffitied walls. Wouldn’t an advanced civilisation have no graffiti?
The plot was tired - we’ve seen it all before. I think it was taken from the Lion King. And like the Last Yedi, plot points are telegraphed a mile away. “What are the lights on that mag-lev?” “Oh the lights disable the vibranium“ - ok, when’s the fight on the train track gonna happen?
On the positives, I thought all the woman actresses were good, and the costumes were good.
The Lexus sponsorship was evident, good to see a GS-F and LC-F V8s being caned through Korean streets before being dismantled into pieces by a shot of Vibranium from Andy Sirkus and his crazy South African accent.
And “what are thooooooose?” was funny.
But overall, pretty disappointing. After 18 Marvel movies, I’m looking for something new in this genre - simply dropping in bad language (Deadpool) or African people (BP) isn’t changing the same plot lines over and over.
5 Popcorns. YMMV.
PS I went over to Rotten Tomatoes to see if anyone else agreed with me. Surprisingly some of the pro reviewers did.
I read some of the “reader reviews” ... how can anyone take RT seriously when the first page of reviews are 5 star reviews from people WHO HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE MOVIE!! That’s like submitting a pin review to Pinside and never playing the game!! W T F
rd

Yeah I wouldn't bother with aggregator site scores such as Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB. They're pretty much worthless. Conflicting directors or films end up with high high scores or low low scores resulting in an average.

This what you're referring to I think has something to do with the facebook group to bring down the scores of Black Panther and (some of) these people are counteracting the scores. Add to the hype of the recent news of the "this film is only for black people," resulting in the fake social media posts where white people have been posting fake pictures of white girls getting bottled at the cinema saying "get the fxxk out, this here is a black movie," is all adding fuel to the sad fire.

Pretty sad really and people don't have lives evidently.

I'm over superhero films myself. It's saturated and I like the ones that have a genuine different take. That's why I hold Logan in high regard.

Dr mark Kermode sums it up pretty well......

#972 6 years ago

Darkest Hour.

Outstanding performance by Gary Oldman. Acting through prosthetics apparently is super hard and he shines through it. He does a great job of being Winston Churchill without trying to imitate his voice. Surely a long time coming Oscar for him.

The film itself was good, although coming from the UKL and knowing the history behind it, it felt too juxtaposition told for my liking. "We have to inform so and so, the head of such department who did this and that." Felt shoehorned in. Almost expected someone to break the 4th wall to explain it. Probably explains why the UK critics had a more Luke warm response than the rest of the world.

And don't get me started on the impromptu cabinet meeting on the tube. The creators said that it was a scene with an element of truth. So not true at all then.

Not bad, but not without it's flaws

7/10

1 month later
#994 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Has anyone discussed Downsizing here previously? The DVD was released this week.
I hate to say it but I was very disappointed in it. It seemed like two different movies stitched together, one a syfy comedy and the other an economic hardship drama. The first half was great until the main star began a date in an apartment a year after arriving. Then the movie seemed to go off the rails for a weird relationship and gnome quest. Then it abruptly ended almost like they ran out of film.
Anyway, I’m curious what others thought about it.

Yeah it was a mess. It didn’t know where it wanted to go.

It had the same feeling like 3 billboards but at least you felt like you were in safe hands with 3 billboards. It was like the director didn’t have a clue.

Shit film

1 month later
#1078 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

anyone seen Infinity Wars? Its amazing but everyone dies. Im certain everyone will come back one way or the other.

That’s a pretty big spoiler right there.

What a cock

#1081 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Why thank you very much. I have never been called a cock before, asshole yes. If you didn’t know that a large number of the heroes die by now you have not been paying attention. Most of the things written about the movie tell you this. I did not say who dies and how and who lives. I’ll will you another secret. Nick Fury says mother fucker, surprise. Seriously, the movie stepped took Marvel movies to another level. The different characters from the various movies meshed quite well. There were some personality conflicts that led to some funny situations and some very funny lines including a reference to Harry Potter. There is so much to this movie you could go on and on. I was impressed.

Hmmm.

Yeah na, I don’t know what places you’ve read things, but if what you’ve read said that multiple characters die then that’s well shit.

I haven’t read or heard any reviews that even hint at characters dying. They’ve all danced around anything major. I had a hunch that they did but just a hunch.

Saying that all the characters died is a fucking big spoiler. I don’t care if you didn’t say who and it hasn’t even been out a week.

Yup. What a fucking bellend.

4 weeks later
#1108 5 years ago

Solo isn't bad at all.

Fun for sure but unnecessary. No sense of jeopardy throughout. With the Lando spin off in the works and what they're setting up for the cameo in the future is unsure.

No doubt Disney are milking the Star Wars universe. Just hope that it doesn't get saturated like Marvel/DC and making them for the sake of making them. Obi Wan, Darth Maul, Lando, Boba Fett and other films are already in the pipeline, who knows how many more.

I expect the fella who has a death sentence on 12 systems will get one too if they can make a dollar out of it lol.

I was worried about the casting of Ehrenreich and Glover for Solo and Lando but I thought they were good.

But yeah good fun. Entertaining. Better than The Last Jedi that's for sure.

7/10

1 week later
#1112 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Solo - I've seen all the Star Wars films at a theater. I like to hear movies loud with surround sound on a big screen. From a production value, this was the worst Star Wars film yet. I wish I knew what Ron Howard was thinking... Most of the movie had a dark look to it. I'm not talking about the theme or a dark attitude like Batman. Solo was simply dark and hard to watch. There was NO creative lighting, it's like the whole film was shot in twilight hours with no contrast or depth of field. The audio was not much better. Music was mehh, and with exception of the Millennium Falcon sound effects, nothing exciting. I could go on about the acting and story..
4 sad Popcorns

If you look at the issues he had with the production, I’m surprised it came out as well as it did. There was so much rewriting and reshooting going on.

As for the lighting, you’re not the only one to say this. Mine was okay and not too dark. One reason that has been said as to why some places play it and looks dark and others looks fine is because they haven’t changed the lens from the 3D. 3D lenses create light loss and non-3D films can still be run through them, but light loss is still occurs.

Some cinemas will switch the lenses out depending on whether it’s 2D or 3D being shown, but some others just don’t bother.

3 weeks later
#1127 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I had to rewatch the first one last night. Benecio Del Toro is just top notch in both. Unfortunately, the 2nd one is just a slow burn all the way through.

I watched this at home last night. If this was a standalone film I think it’s pretty good but falls flat a bit as a sequel. Feels a bit old too. Like it should’ve been released 10 years ago.

1 week later
#1133 5 years ago

Isle of Dogs

Not a big fan of stop motion (never really have been) but I thought this was awesome. I’ve had this since it came out but never could bring myself to watch it. I’m so glad I did.

A strange little tale where all dogs in Japan are banished to Trash Island because of Snout Fever and Dog Flu and a little kid goes over to try and find his lost dog and it unfolds from there.

Directed by Wes Anderson with an all star cast or more like an ensemble cast featuring Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Scarlett Johansson, Harvey Keitel, Francis McDormand, Leiv Schrieber, Bob Balaban, F. Murray Abraham, Tilde Swinton, Ken Watanabe and Angelica Huston.

Typical eclectic Wes Anderson style and the animation very much in the same style as Fantastic Mr Fox. All the cast are great at putting life and character into their doggy avatars and if you liked The Royal Tenenbaums, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom, Life Aquatic and The Darjeeling Limited, I think you’ll enjoy this film a lot.

Anderson’s films not to everyone’s tastes however being that “Marmite” Director so if you didn’t like his previous efforts, I suspect this’ll fall flat for you.

But for me a solid 4.5/5 FFC

1 month later
#1154 5 years ago

Summer of ‘84

Film set in the summer of 1984 (obvs) that follows a group of 15 yr old mates in a sleepy little town where kids from 12-16 have been going missing. The officials come out saying there’s an official serial killer on the loose and the central kid in the film believes it’s his cop neighbour.

Not a bad film if you can’t find something to watch. I was pleasantly surprised and found it fun. When they go bowling there’s a few vids in the background and the elusive Polybius is there with an “out of order” sign which I thought was a cool little touch.

It’s obviously got inspiration from all the usual suspects ( stranger things, etc) but I thought it was alright.

7/10

#1165 5 years ago

I love the retro film nights. Gives me a chance to see flicks that I was too young to get into the cinema for when they were released.

Looking forward to Predator, Robocop and Terminator

https://www.eventcinemas.co.nz/EventsFestivals/RetroSessions

1 week later
#1168 5 years ago

The Predator.

Shane Black’s (Hawkins from the original) attempt at a part reboot, part sequel falls flat. Bigtime.

The characters don’t gel and the running jokes miss their mark every time. The action is nothing special.

To be fair with all the shite since the original like AVP and AVP: Requiem and Predators, my hopes weren’t high anyway.

It’s a shame though because Shane Black has done some great films in the past and known for his snappy dialogue, but falls well short of the mark here. So if you’re expecting Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys or Iron Man 3 calibre; you won’t find it here.

Shane Black said he was going for “a close encounters/E.T. vibe.” I didn’t get that at all apart from the kids all out on Halloween.

The only joke I thought had some fun to it was the debate on why it’s called predator and not a hunter. That’s a throwback to what the original was going to be called. But not many people would get that anyway.

And Predator dogs? Really?

6/10. That’s being generous.

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Searching
Harold has got his burgers from White Castle, and now he’s a middle aged man living in San Jose. His wife has just died of Lymphoma, and now his daughter has gone missing.
The majority of this story is told via on-screen computer screens, showing messenger and texting in real time - I found this a bit annoying at first but soon got into the swing of things.
The plot is strong and has several twists and turns that keep you involved until the end.
The movie has an underlying story of how much we are on computers and social media - quite an interesting subtext. And White Castle Harold didn’t really know his daughter at all - they all lived through their devices. Food for thought for all parents.
I thought it was one of the better movies I’ve seen this year. Interesting all the way through, and different in the way it was portrayed.
8.5 popcorns.
Cellphone check - 0
rd

Yeah it’s a good film. Have you seen Unfriended?

It’s weird because it feels like it shouldn’t work but it just does somehow.

Evident that the found footage genre of film has evolved. It needed to as well as it got stale as all hell.

5 months later
#1245 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Ooooooooh lots of thumbs down. Just his opinion guys!
I watched it on DVD the other day. I thought it was a solid movie! Reminded me of the older 70s movies in the way it was paced. Maybe a throwback to the original movie from the 70s, but I haven’t seen that so I don’t know.
I thought Gaga (you can use your real name now ..) was very good, considering it was her first movie.
Couple of things that made me roll my eyes though - she sang her original song in the carpark, the next night she’s on stage singing a fully fleshed out version with his band - when did that happen? How’d they know the words? How’d she know the arrangement? As an ex musician that wasn’t very realistic.
And when her career started, she went all pop music and the husband (who was a respected musican and star) seemed to have no input at all. Again, probably not what would happen. But hey, it’s a movie ...
Maybe more of a chick flick but I enjoyed it for the music aspect of the movie. And I thought the acting was good.
I’d go 7 popcorns. Fiona was 7.5 popcorns.
That’s like, my opinion man!
rd

I think the thumbs down was for the spoiler more than anything. Who gives a shit about thumbs down anyway?

This film was a hard watch for me and Michelle. Bit too close to home for us. Had me in tears a couple times.

Great debut from Bradley Cooper though. He’s got talent.

8 months later
#1314 4 years ago

Seen “The Irishman” twice now. Once on the small screen and once on the big screen. Definitely better on the small screen to handle the hefty 3.5 hour runtime and you can have a break etc. And it’s not really too much of a cinematic experience so you don’t miss much. Needed to be cut back to at least 2.45 hours.

Weakest of the “Goodfellas Trilogy” for sure but still good.

Full review here:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=470496326922928&id=359218388017636&anchor_composer=false

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rooky79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread?tu=rooky79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.