A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Just finished reading the book Ready Player One, and the confirmed movie adaption has the potential to be great. I wouldn't really recommend reading the book (it has severe pacing problems, logical inconsistencies and the protagonist/narrator keeps going off on pointless tangents), but the story is excellent and with Spielberg directing I could see the movie being really good.
The story is similar to The Matrix- dystopian future with a simulated reality- except that everyone knows they're in a simulation and can log in and out whenever they want. When the program's creator dies he offers his entire estate- including control of the simulation- to the first person who can complete a series of tasks to find an easter egg he's hidden somewhere. The easter egg hunt revolves around 80s pop culture- movies, books, video games, music (unfortunately no pinball, although Williams Electronics gets a mention). Great for anyone who grew up in that decade.

I really loved that book and I'm very excited to see how the movie turns out. I hope they do it justice. I've heard only good things about the production so far, but I'm very curious as to how they are going to pull off some of the more "elaborate" final scenes. Also, ever watch Bloodline? Ben Mendelsohn (Danny) is going to be Nolan from RPO. That seems like a perfect fit.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Anybody go see Ben-Hur?
» YouTube video

No. Don't know who greenlit that. Probably the same people that gave the thumbs up to the awful Clash of the Titans remake and its even worse sequel. Bastards. I think a MichaelBaysplosions version of Lawrence of Arabia is up next.

Glad i found this thread.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

KIs that before or after the new remake of The Magnificent Seven?

I just looked up the full cast of that and wow, impressive, but i feel like those salaries must have accounted for a big chunk of the entire budget. Chris Pratt alone commands who knows how much now.

#98 7 years ago

Watched John Wick the other night and it was actually pretty good. Not too deep, but certainly fun and well-done mindless action.

Also, I'm pretty sure we can also all agree that Army of Darkness is a cinema classic.

#135 7 years ago

Ben Affleck is arguably a better director than actor...

#142 7 years ago

Cool. I mean, they'd be crazy if they didn't renew it, but it's nice to hear they did for sure. Also, very pleased that there will be more episodes.

#146 7 years ago

Anyone else ever see Murder Party? Pretty low budget but really fun film.

1 week later
#170 7 years ago

It was a BBC miniseries, not a movie, but did anyone else watch Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? It's on Netflix now and it was quite good, though a bit slow to start. I'm going to have to read the book now.

2 weeks later
#215 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Blair Witch....waiting to hear...first one was terrible...

I thought this new one was bad too but the wife insisted we see it since she liked the first one. I hated the first one too and honestly can't decide which was worse. Same basic premise, but this one has even more elaborate weird shit going on. That doesn't really work in its favor though.

Overall I'd feel much worse about it if we didn't catch it at a $5.50 matinee and our theater serves beer...

1 week later
#249 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Don't think it's been mentioned: The Cabin in the Woods. It's a Joss Whedon horror film with a twist to the usual "formula".
I'll go 8 popcorns on it.

Yeah, that's a really fun movie. It's worth watching just for the last 15 min or so even if you don't care for the rest of it.

1 week later
#282 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows is another really good one. It used to be on Netflix but not anymore.

Sucks that's not on Netflix anymore. I'm not into wrestling either but that was a really good one.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It was very heavy handed and the author wasn't fond of the movie.

It's my understanding that Alan Moore has always been against almost any movie adaptation is any of his works.

Like V for Vendetta, i felt Watchmen the movie wasn't anywhere close to being as good as the graphic novel, but it was still enjoyable in its own way.

1 month later
#401 7 years ago

I thought Rogue One was very good. I personally liked it a little better than force awakens. Acting quality was some of the best of any star wars film, imo. The movie wasn't perfect but it lacked any major (kylo-ren-shaped) annoyances and, as everyone else has mentioned, the end is awesome. Also, one of the best done droid characters of any star wars film. Alan tudyk did not disappoint.

1 month later
#415 7 years ago

Split.

McAvoy does a great job with the different characters. He's definitely the highlight of the film. Otherwise, most of the other characters and the story itself were fairly two dimensional and, as a whole, the movie was very predictable. It doesn't even have much of a Shyamalan twist as one might expect. Still, it's best Shyamalan film I've seen in awhile and middle of the pack overall for his films, so i didn't regret seeing it for matinee prices. Also, there's a very tiny cameo at the very end (before credits) that nearly made the whole thing worth it.

Best part (tie): either McAvoy's acting or the last 15 seconds or so of the film.

Worst part: super-predictable, emo-teen protagonist

6 popcorns.

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

^You mean James McAvoy not Michael Fassbender.^

Yes, yes i did, in fact. Too much x-men and not enough sleep for me i guess

3 months later
#543 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Get Out
For some reason, this movies release date was held back in NZ, probably because we just had the school holidays here. Usually we open most movies same weekend as the USA. I was going to see it in Texas when we were there but Danni doesn't like scary movies.
Great movie. The story never sags, keeps you interested all the way through. Theres a few scares here and there to keep primed for more.
Good to see a movie with an original script too, the superhero-meets girl-beats up bad guy stuff gets very tiresome.
I'm going 9 Popcorns.
rd

Very excited to hear about his next potential film.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/jordan-peeles-next-project-is-a-terrifying-lovecraftian-1795275560

As a longtime Lovecraft fan, i absolutely loved that book.

So, has anyone seen Alien: Covenant yet? Was thinking about going tonight but what I've heard so far has been pretty mixed.

1 month later
#691 6 years ago

Saw Despicable Me 3 this past weekend. It was pretty fun. Probably better than the second, but not as good as the first.

I can't bring myself to see the Mummy when there's anything else out to see, particularly because Cruise is such a clown. Perhaps later on Netflix. That said, i hope at least some of the "universal dark universe" thing succeeds. Some of them seem like they could be good.

I've heard good things about Baby Driver, so I'm considering heading to that next weekend. This review made me really want to see Transformers though, particularly because my nearby theaters is cheap and serves beer:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/transformers-the-last-knight-the-spoiler-faq-1796409426

My wife has expressed (mild) interest in both so we'll see.

Quoted from Astropin:

I "try" to always have an open mind...but not so open my brains fall out.

I think that the term you're looking for is "trepanning."

3 weeks later
#743 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Spider-Man Part 53 (aka the new one lol)
The $9 movie of the week!! Boooya!
Thought it was pretty good! The movie had a lot of deadpan humour similar to Ironman 1, which I enjoy.
The bad guy had some dimension, a working guy trying to stick it to the man and make some coin for his family ... rather than the usual megalomaniac douchebag who wants to destroy the planet for no particular reason. Wouldn't it be better to keep the world rather than blowing it up? I can never figure that out ...
The movie starts with a funny moment ... the city is repairing all the damage from the last Avengers showdown. As a property guy, when I was watching that movie I said to the Mrs "who the hell is paying for all this damage??" Haha!
Enjoyable superhero watch.
8 Popcorns.
rd

I agree. Saw this one Sunday and found Michael Keaton to be a very good, atypical villain and the movie overall better than expected. I was worried that the new actor's "teenagerness" from Civil War would be too annoying at feature length, but it ended up being a good balance.

2 weeks later
#775 6 years ago

Saw Dark Tower on Sunday. I have not read the source material, but am generally familiar with it and have a lot of friends who are huge fans.

Acting was good, action was pretty good, but overall i found it somewhat vanilla and unmemorable. Maybe if the trailers hadn't been so good and i hadn't had such high hopes, i might have thought a bit better of it. That said, i still hope they make more since there's a lot left to be said, and that the future ones are less bland. One particularly fun part was trying to pick out all of the many Stephen King references throughout.

6.5 popcorns.

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Valerian - So Echovictor and I are the only ones that liked that movie ? I thought it was a great look into the far future . Thought it was better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2 .

I was very excited for this film and really really wanted to like it, but just couldn't. I love a lot of things by Luc Besson and Fifth Element is one of my all time favorite films, but the story was just ok and predictable and the dialog was downright cringeworthy at times. It seemed almost like the two main characters were an unfunny take on Archer and Lana (Valerian was a dick whose only redeeming quality was that he was very good at his job).

Still, it wasn't THAT bad overall. It was visually beautiful and conceptually interesting. I get the feeling it's something i might have loved if I'd seen it first as a kid. Also, i did like it better than Avatar.

5 and a half-ish popcorns with some disappointment-flavored butter topping.

2 months later
#865 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thor Ragnarok
I enjoyed it. Kiwi director Taika Waititi injects his brand of humour into the Marvel franchise. If you’ve seen any other Taika films (Boy, What we do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) you’ll notice it straight away. He also dresses up as a large Rock Man and introduces Marvel fans to “Maori boy” talk.
I wonder how the traditional Marvel/Thor fan will view this movie. It’s a bit of a departure from the first two ...
Anyway, enjoyable way to spend two hours. 8 Popcorns.
rd

Saw it last night and I'll raise you 8.5 popcorns. Maybe nine.
It was pretty great. One of the best Marvel has done, imo.

4 months later
#1007 6 years ago

Saw RP1 last night and was actually kind of disappointed. It strayed very far from the book in nearly every respect aside from general theme and character names. I was certain that was going to be the case after watching the trailers, but after leaving the film, I really think it only had something like 15% of in common with the source material.

To quote my friend who saw it with me. "It was very Spielbergey, but not at his best." I guess i was hoping for more D&D and Joust and instead got more WoW and Avatar. I understand why they had to go that route to update it and make some money, but i wish it were at least a little less "stylized" or "modernized." For example, will someone please explain to me how every "geeky teenager" in every new movie also manages to be athletic, attractive, and good in a fight? Seriously, a large chunk of the film were these kids fighting/running from "the man" quite effectively in the real world. Art3mis and Parzival were a lot more Trinity and Neo than they probably should have been.

On the upside, acting was pretty good overall (as always, Ben Mendelsohn was excellent). A surprisingly large amount of the dialog was quite cringeworthy, but some was fun and smart, making it really feel like the film was written and/or put together by 2 (or more) different people.

Overall, it was still an entertaining film that served up a rarely-seen breadth of pop culture all together and a lot of fun action scenes. A few parts were really great even (the shining, chucky, etc). Just understand that the target market for this film seems very different from that of the book.

6.5 Popcorns.

8, if i pretend I'm a nine year old into escapist fantasy films.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread?tu=nman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.