A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Xerico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#444 7 years ago

My wife and I saw "La La Land" for on Valentine's Day.

She gives it 10 popcorns. It's her favorite movie of the past few years. It resonates with her on so many levels. She is an "LA" native and she misses California. She is a sucker for a good romantic movie. And she just loves Ryan Gosling. So that trifecta sealed her love and affection for this movie.

I thought it was fantastic. I really enjoyed the story and the musical numbers were well done. I enjoyed the chemistry between Stone and Gosling. I enjoyed the scenic views. And most of all, I cared for the characters.

I give it 8 popcorns.

Marcus

1 month later
#487 7 years ago

I saw "Lion" yesterday.

It was fantastic! Riveting story based on real life events. Excellent acting. Inspirational.

And if you are not careful, allergies can strike.

I give it 9 popcorns.

Marcus

3 weeks later
#512 6 years ago

I picked up "Why Him?" this weekend at Redbox.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4501244/

It stars James Franco and Bryan Cranston.

It's a typical "Father meets Boyfriend" movie with some funny, crude twists. If you are a KISS fan, you will enjoy the liberal playing of KISS songs throughout the movie.

I'm glad I did not pay full movie theater pricing to watch it, but for $1.50, it was very enjoyable.

I would give it 6.5 popcorns.

Marcus

#513 6 years ago

I picked up "Gold" this weekend at Redbox.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800302/

It stars Matthew McConaughey, Edgar Ramirez, and Bryce Dallas Howard.

This is a very good movie. It's about the Gold Business. Like the oil wildcatters of the early 1900s, these wildcatters search the world for the next gold deposit instead of oil field. And like the oil business, it's filled with sharks. And sometimes, the sharks eat other sharks. So if you like a movie with plenty of personal demons and drama on your screen, you will enjoy "Gold".

It's inspired by real life, but of course Hollywood adds its own flair.

The movie drags a bit in the middle, but the ending is well worth the time spent watching the movie.

For a Saturday afternoon movie on your own couch, and costing only $1.50-$2,00 from Redbox, it was well worth the money.

I give it 7.5 popcorns.

Marcus

3 weeks later
#584 6 years ago

Over the weekend, I watched two very good movies.

"Woman in Gold" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404425/ - Historical Drama - It's the story of a woman (Helen Mirren) who challenges the Austrian Government in court for the rights to a family painting that was stolen by the Nazis during WWII. Her young lawyer (Ryan Reynolds). It closely follows the storyline of the real world event. It's well done, and I highly recommend it. 7.5 popcorns.

"Black Mass" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/ - Historical Criminal Drama - It's the story of how the FBI helped create one of the biggest Crime Lords ever. Whitey Bulger (Johnny Depp) takes over the Boston Crime Syndicate with the protection of the FBI since he is an informant that is helping bring down the Mafia. Many well known actors are in this movie. The story is fast paced and well executed. It's a riveting story, especially when you realize that it is based on real life events. It's full of gangster murders and Depp does an outstanding job of portraying Bulger. I give it 8.5 popcorns.

Marcus

1 month later
#711 6 years ago

I realize I am a few months late to the party, but I finally saw "Get Out" last night.

It is the best movie I have seen all year. It felt like a classic "Twilight Zone" episode, but stretched out to movie length.

I plan to watch it a few more times to catch all the little things I missed in my first viewing.

10 popcorns.

Marcus

7 months later
#952 6 years ago

I saw "Wonder" recently. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543472/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It is a fantastic movie. Reminds me of the PG 1980s movies I would watch as a kid.

The main actor, Jacob Tremblay, does a fantastic job as do the "stars" of the movie, i.e Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson.

But you will truly love the Child Actors in this movie. They all are excellent and add so much meaning to the movie.

If you enjoy feel good movies, this one is definitely 8 popcorns.

Marcus

#956 6 years ago

This is the movie discussion thread. Discussing movies and their content is fair game. Causing this thread to go off topic is not. And let's keep the politics out of this thread.

It's a tight rope, I know. But let's keep the focus on the movie. So discussing a scene or the movie's tone is fair game. Bringing real world political discussion into this thread is NOT.

Consider this my one and only warning to those in this thread. Let's keep it on topic and about the movies.

Thanks.

Marcus

1 month later
#996 6 years ago

Had a busy redbox week last week.

I, Tonya - 7 popcorns - very eye opening movie about the knee attack heard around the world. Every thespian in this movie gave amazing performances.

Justice League - 6 popcorns - it was a very fun popcorn movie. There are some weak plot elements, and it really suffered from the lack of introduction movies for Flash and Cyborg. But overall, I enjoyed it much more than BvsS.

Shape Of Water - 9 popcorns - This is a beautifully shot movie with a terrific cast and story. I think Sally Hawkins should have won the Oscar because her portrayal of the mute janitor was incredible. After seeing all the movies nominated for Best Picture, I think The Academy got it right this year. Fantastic Movie. I would watch this again and again. The make up for the Creature is amazing. Loved watching the bonus footage that showed how they filmed this movie.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 7.5 popcorns. Strong movie with many great acting performances. I think Woody is underrated and I'm happy that Sam Rockwell earned his Oscar.

Marcus

#1006 6 years ago

Another Redbox Night.

Only The Brave ... incredibly moving story about real events in Yarnell, AZ. I will not lie, allergy season is in full affect for this movie.

As a story, 10 popcorns. As a movie, Solid 8.5.

Marcus

1 month later
#1075 5 years ago

Borg vs McEnroe - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5727282/

Excellent film. Did a great job of diving deep into the men that made Tennis so exciting in 1980.

As a film, it is a solid 7 popcorn movie. It's character driven, so if that is not your kind of movie, you will not hold it in as high regard as I do.
As a sports film, it is a solid 9 popcorn movie for me.

Sverrir Gudnason is amazing a Bjorn Borg. He makes the movie. A lesser actor would have caused tremendous damage to the story. But Sverrir is not a lesser actor.

Shia Lebouf actually does a great job portraying McEnroe. His performance humanized McEnroe and allowed the viewer to see beyond "the brat" persona.

Highly recommend.

Marcus

#1076 5 years ago

Last Flag Flying - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6018306/

This is a somber movie that highlights three fantastic acting performances. Steve Carell once again demonstrates incredible dramatic chops as he plays the role of a father who is on a trip to collect the body of his Marine Son who gave the ultimate sacrifice. On the way, he collects two friends from his Vietnam War tour. Bryan Cranston plays Sal, the half irish owner of a Bar and Laurence Fishburne plays Mueller, a pastor with a wild man past.

While these three offer some great comedic moments, their dramatic turns are what make this film such a treat.

The subject matter is not for children. But this is an excellent movie to show young adults as it will stimulate plenty of conversation after the movie.

I give this movie a solid 7.5 Popcorns.

Marcus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Xerico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread?tu=Xerico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.