A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jumping-Box.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Just watched Adventures in Babysitting...

Elisabeth Shue. My Hollywood sweetheart.

shue (resized).jpgshue (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#185 7 years ago

I've read most of this thread, and it's hard to believe that JAWS has not been mentioned.
Jaws is the PERFECT movie...

Great characters and acting
Great directing
Great photography
Great music
Great writing
Great heroes
Great villain

A total 10.. Perfect!

#187 7 years ago

Another film favorite on mine, 1976 Bad News Bears. I suggest that all teenage athletes watch this movie. It's got bad language and is completely politically incorrect, but the theme of true sportsmanship trumps all. And the music.. If I hear Carmen playing, I immediately picture Buttermaker on the mound.

bad-news,bears (resized).jpgbad-news,bears (resized).jpg

1 week later
#209 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Blair Witch....waiting to hear...first one was terrible...

Hmm.. Need to disagree about the original Blair Witch. It's a horror movie with no blood, gore, or monsters. The characters scared themselves. I'm not a big fan of the POV movie style, but I think it worked for the Blair Witch.

1 month later
#355 7 years ago

Just watched Arrival. For a Sci-Fi movie, I give it high marks for the realism, especially the military response. Some guy was snoring in the back of the theater, so it's a bit slow but I would recommend.

Last week I watched Dr. Strange, now that's two wasted hours. The 3D visuals were cool, the movie blows.

6 months later
#537 6 years ago

Looking forward to Alien: Covenant this weekend. When a film has...

Ridley Scott
Strong female lead
Flame throwers
Aliens and Androids
and rotating beacons

It's beautiful.

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Talk Radio (1988)

I think Oliver Stone did a great job of making Talk Radio visual, because the film is mostly of a guy talking into a microphone. The movie is based in Dallas. I remember he talked about the hookers on Harry Hines St. In the last 25 years Dallas has changed so much.. but the hookers are still there.

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I saw Alien: Covenant yesterday.
My biggest beef with Ridley Scott's Prometheus & now Covenant is that he uses science fiction devices when it suits his film's plot but completely ignores reasonable technological advances.

I agree, I expected much more from this film. The dueling androids were predictable, and the visuals were OK but not great. The aliens themselves were like extra cast members. No rotating light beacons and no flame throwers. 5 Popcorns... Prometheus was better.

#585 6 years ago

I know it's not a movie.. I just watched a wonderful story about Robert Gagno on HBO's Real Sports. Here's the HBO trailer video:

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/242-episode/video/pinball-wizard-autistic-pinball-champion-trailer.html?autoplay=true

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Just saw Wonder Woman. Terrible Terrible movie.
" For only love can save the world"

I enjoyed Wonder Woman. Great theme music! As far as comic book movies, I think WW is better then the latest Batman and Logan films.

1 month later
#702 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Baby Driver is a pretty good movie. Kindof Thelma and Louise type movie.

Thelma and Louise..? That was a men bashing film. Baby Driver is cool action movie with a lot of different music. With all the music, it reminds me of The Galaxy of the Guardians.

1 week later
#706 6 years ago

I enjoyed seeing the setup and the references to the original 1968 Planet of the Apes.

3 weeks later
#790 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Knowing the history will only enhance the movie.

I think this movie was just that.. history. The struggle of the men wanting to stay alive is interesting, but the film did not have much of a plot. I felt like a witness to an historic event. Dunkirk - 7 popcorns Recent war movies, Hacksaw Ridge - 10 popcorns.

#800 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I was very excited for this film and really really wanted to like it, but just couldn't.

I wanted to like this movie as well, and the first 15 minutes showed promise. The crazy looking aliens and the space station had that Fifth Element look and feel. But then, the main characters were introduced and it went downhill fast. After one hour, I was ready to walk out. With the exception of Gaudiness of the Galaxy vol 2, science fictions movies this year have mostly been duds. But I have high expectations for the new Blade Runner.

1 week later
#810 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Logan Lucky - Oceans 11,12,13 with a redneck version,

I enjoyed this movie. At any moment, I expected Daniel Craig to turn into a typical dirt bag. But he and most of the characters were unpredictable. It's a fun and intelligent movie. 8 popcorns

Quoted from rotordave:

The Big Sick
The trailer said it was "gut bustingly funny" and "hilarious"

I agree. I don't understand why Rotten Tomatoes gives it such high marks. This film was not funny. Ray Romano had a couple of chuckles.. but not much else. 4 Popcorns

2 weeks later
#820 6 years ago

Wind River - For some reason I expected this film to be smarter. The bad guys were typical scumbags, and the FBI agent was a bit naive. The temperature was said to be below zero, but I noticed water and slush not frozen. And when the characters talked, you could not see their breath.. Yea there was snow, but the movie did'nt look cold. 5 popcorns. Fargo, now that was a cold movie!

#823 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I think in real life, criminals ARE usually just stupid scumbags, same as portrayed in the movie. They are only super brained criminal geniuses in Hollywood movies...
rd

Perhaps.. I believe the better movies have a blurred line on who is good and bad. In "Hell or High Water", is Chris Pine's character a scumbag? He's a bank robber but helping his family. In "Unforgiven" is Clint Eastwood or Gene Hackman the dad guy? I like films that gives options to the moviegoer. Wind River did'nt do that for me.

1 week later
#835 6 years ago

IT

I liked IT, and the clown was great. Very creepy! This movie had that classic mullet-bully. Just like "Like Stand by Me" and "Christine, you wanted revenge on the bully. The production value was high. 8 popcorns

2 weeks later
#845 6 years ago

Blade Runner 2049

If you like the original Blade Runner, you will like this one. The film has a dark and desolate feel, but it's beautiful. The 3D is just cool, and music is great (much like the original 1982 movie) It's a true sequel. 9 popcorns

3 weeks later
#858 6 years ago

Only The Brave

I expected a macho action movie about firefighters, like Backdraft or something.. I was pleasantly surprised, this movie had drama and real life issues. Good acting and the fire scenes were cool. 8 popcorns

Quoted from dtown:

We just couldn’t find the time to see it in the theaters. At almost three hours, I think I’ll just Blu-ray it and watch it at home.

Blade Runner - The 3D is worth watching at a theater.

2 weeks later
#871 6 years ago

Murder on the Orient Express

3 Popcorns This movie is not fun. The ending is lackluster with little excitement. The production values are average with poor sound... yuck

2 months later
#913 6 years ago

The Post - It's entertaining and a bit edgy. It's cool the watch the thought process of newspaper men of that time. Tom Hanks did a good job, but I think another actor would been a better choice for Ben Bradlee. Jason Robards played a great Ben Bradlee in All the Presidents men.
6.5 popcorns

3 weeks later
#964 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I, Tonya.
If you didn’t know this story was true, you wouldn’t believe it. Great tale of white trash all trying hard to out-dumb each other. I don’t know how they filmed/CGId the ice skating scenes, but they are visually stunning at times...

I agree! At first, I had no interest in this film because I remember watching the drama on TV. Why pay for something that I know already... But this was a good movie. Great acting! Tonya admits to being a redneck, and it's fun to learn how she got there. 8.5 popcorns

#965 6 years ago

Darkest Hour

Gary Oldman gets a 10 for acting! From Dracula to Zorg (The Fifth Element) The man can act.
I would think that Winston Churchill is a tough charter to play, but Oldman pulled it off. If you liked Dunkirk, go see this movie. 7 Popcorns

1 month later
#1060 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

A Quiet Place
Quite enjoyed it - amazing how so few words the characters hardly speak..

Yea, the sound of popcorn being chewed was louder then the film. This movie was interesting and different. The scene with the mom in the bathtub was intense! However, there were many unanswered questions for me, and the ending did not work. Because of the poor ending only 6 popcorns.

2 weeks later
#1073 5 years ago

Chappaquiddick

I don't know how true this film is.. If it is true, Ted was a dick. If the voters had watched this movie, there's no way he's elected.
The movie is OK, it provides more information then entertainment. The movie shows what privilege can do, and as an average Joe you feel a bit pissed off.
5 Popcorns

1 month later
#1111 5 years ago

Solo - I've seen all the Star Wars films at a theater. I like to hear movies loud with surround sound on a big screen. From a production value, this was the worst Star Wars film yet. I wish I knew what Ron Howard was thinking... Most of the movie had a dark look to it. I'm not talking about the theme or a dark attitude like Batman. Solo was simply dark and hard to watch. There was NO creative lighting, it's like the whole film was shot in twilight hours with no contrast or depth of field. The audio was not much better. Music was mehh, and with exception of the Millennium Falcon sound effects, nothing exciting. I could go on about the acting and story..

4 sad Popcorns

1 year later
#1317 4 years ago

I believe most pinball people are attracted to great visuals and sounds. This film is a visual masterpiece. You cannot see one edit in the film, it's a constant flowing shot in real time. It's EZ to watch and I thinking to myself, "what's coming next" Go watch 1917 in a theater, great movie!

9 Popcorns

1 year later
#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

How do you replace origin story James Bond?

The character of James Bond is timeless. Bond is a man to admire, in any decade he has an old school cool about him. How do you keep with the current story line without Bond? 007 as a woman or a young hipster just won't work for me. Like Spiderman, perhaps James Bond can come back in another dimension.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jumping-Box.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread?tu=Jumping-Box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.