A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.
#401 7 years ago

I thought Rogue One was very good. I personally liked it a little better than force awakens. Acting quality was some of the best of any star wars film, imo. The movie wasn't perfect but it lacked any major (kylo-ren-shaped) annoyances and, as everyone else has mentioned, the end is awesome. Also, one of the best done droid characters of any star wars film. Alan tudyk did not disappoint.

#402 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I thought Rogue One was very good. I personally liked it a little better than force awakens. Acting quality was some of the best of any star wars film, imo. The movie wasn't perfect but it lacked any major (kylo-ren-shaped) annoyances and, as everyone else has mentioned, the end is awesome. Also, one of the best done droid characters of any star wars film. Alan tudyk did not disappoint.

I want to see it but I'm supposed to wait till Christmas weekend to see it with the family. Maybe I'll go secretly today.

1 week later
#403 7 years ago

Saw Passengers this afternoon... meh.

It had a lot of great potential with real opportunities for exploring interesting and deep topics but never more than scratches the surface of any of them. The CGI was nice to look at but not amazing. It was kind of relaxing sitting in the theater with the pretty space ship and the plot left me plenty of time to imagine myself in such a predicament.

Also there is no fear of missing something when you take a bathroom break... and I like nachos with jalapeños.

#404 7 years ago

I saw Captain America Civil War and really didn't expect to like it, because The Avengers (being the only other superhero movie I've seen) was one of my least favorite movies of all time. This one was the exact opposite.

The Avengers felt like boring action with flat and underdeveloped characters and no plot to back up what was happening, while Civil War was extremely exciting with tons of personality and lots of interesting and thoughtful writing at every point.

There were some parts where CG stood out and visuals looked a bit awkward, but overall things looked nice enough and there was nothing that felt completely out of place. Also the soundtrack was rather good and complimented the scenes well.

I'd give it something around a 9/10.

#405 7 years ago

Train to Busan

Probably the best zombie flick I've seen in a decade.

8/10

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I saw Captain America Civil War and really didn't expect to like it, because The Avengers (being the only other superhero movie I've seen) was one of my least favorite movies of all time. This one was the exact opposite.
The Avengers felt like boring action with flat and underdeveloped characters and no plot to back up what was happening, while Civil War was extremely exciting with tons of personality and lots of interesting and thoughtful writing at every point.
There were some parts where CG stood out and visuals looked a bit awkward, but overall things looked nice enough and there was nothing that felt completely out of place. Also the soundtrack was rather good and complimented the scenes well.
I'd give it something around a 9/10.

Have you seen Captain America or Captain America: The Winter Soldier yet? Captain America is okay, but The Winter Soldier kicks ass! (but you do need to watch Captain America first to get the set up for The Winter Soldier).

#407 7 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Have you seen Captain America or Captain America: The Winter Soldier yet? Captain America is okay, but The Winter Soldier kicks ass! (but you do need to watch Captain America first to get the set up for The Winter Soldier).

Winter Soldier was the turning point for Marvel, when Disney realized it probably should produce quality movies for the $4B franchise.

1 week later
#408 7 years ago

I love the first Cap. I didn't believe they would have the cajones to set a modern superhero movie in WW2 but they did and it was awesome. I often forget how perfect Hugo Weaving was as Red Skull. It was a great Cap movie that ended perfectly with Cap in modern day talking to Nick Fury.

I think the Cap movies are my favorite Marvel series. Iron Man has the awesome RDJ but little else. Thor is enjoyable but forgettable. Cap's movies are treated more like ensembles and feel like comics come to life.

2 weeks later
#409 7 years ago

The Girl with all the Gifts
Original take on an old genre, couple weak scenes but I liked it.
7/10

#410 7 years ago

Rogue One

Not the biggest Star Wars guy (blasphemy, I know ...) but enjoyed the movie. Lots of action happening. All
My Star Wars buddies loved it.

8 Popcorns.

#411 7 years ago

Don't Breathe

A little late to the party with this one, only just watched it on Bluray.
Some teens learn that a guy got a big insurance payout and decide to go and take it from him. Strangely, the fact that he is a war veteran (ummm ... guns!) doesn't phase them. Oh, and he's blind too. Rob the blind guy. Nice one!

However, by the end of the movie you are rooting for them. That's the sign of a good movie, imo.

Lots of twists and turns and jump scares. I liked it!

8 Popcorns.

#412 7 years ago

"Hidden Figures"

Plot Summary: "The incredible untold story of Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson - brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race, and galvanized the world. The visionary trio crossed all gender and race lines to inspire generations to dream big."

I saw this wonderful movie on Friday. Very enjoyable, especially if you like historical dramas. Includes Kevin Costner is a very convincing supporting role. Although the featured ladies are the clear stars in this excellent movie, Costner's portrayal was both understated and memorable. Highly recommended.

8.5 Popcorns.

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I saw this wonderful movie on Friday

Looking forward to seeing it. Looks good!

rd

#414 7 years ago

Assassins Creed

Don't know anything about the video game, so I don't know if it's true to the video game storyline. Had some good action scenes in it. Fassbender has been hitting the gym, he's looking pretty sweet.

Not the best movie I've seen, but not the worst either. 6 Popcorns.

rd

#415 7 years ago

Split.

McAvoy does a great job with the different characters. He's definitely the highlight of the film. Otherwise, most of the other characters and the story itself were fairly two dimensional and, as a whole, the movie was very predictable. It doesn't even have much of a Shyamalan twist as one might expect. Still, it's best Shyamalan film I've seen in awhile and middle of the pack overall for his films, so i didn't regret seeing it for matinee prices. Also, there's a very tiny cameo at the very end (before credits) that nearly made the whole thing worth it.

Best part (tie): either McAvoy's acting or the last 15 seconds or so of the film.

Worst part: super-predictable, emo-teen protagonist

6 popcorns.

#416 7 years ago

^You mean James McAvoy not Michael Fassbender.^

#417 7 years ago

I enjoyed Split, though it is certainly no The Sixth Sense. They seemed to gloss over some stuff to get that PG-13 rating.

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

^You mean James McAvoy not Michael Fassbender.^

Yes, yes i did, in fact. Too much x-men and not enough sleep for me i guess

#419 7 years ago

That'll do it for sure.

#420 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Yes, yes i did, in fact. Too much x-men and not enough sleep for me i guess

If you want to see a cool McAvoy movie, check out Filth from 2013. Quite weird, probably not for everyone, but I liked it!

rd

IMG_4247 (resized).JPGIMG_4247 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#421 7 years ago

Sorry but M Night Shyamalan should be black listed. He made one great film.....one. Well "Unbreakable" was okay. The rest were total trash and I honestly think "The Happening" might be the worst movie I've ever scene. End rant.

#422 7 years ago

Has anyone seen "lego batman movie"? I am taking my son and one of his friends today and kind of dreading it. The lego movie burned my eyeballs and brain with its ADD storytelling, I'm expecting more of the same. ... and I LIKE superhero movies!

#423 7 years ago

"The Founder" - 2016 Drama film/History, starring Michael Keaton

Rotten Tomatoes Summary:

"Directed by John Lee Hancock (SAVING MR. BANKS), THE FOUNDER features the true story of how Ray Kroc (Michael Keaton), a struggling salesman from Illinois, met Mac and Dick McDonald, who were running a burger operation in 1950s Southern California. Kroc was impressed by the brothers' speedy system of making the food and saw franchise potential. Writer Robert Siegel (THE WRESTLER) details how Kroc maneuvered himself into a position to be able to pull the company from the brothers and create a billion-dollar empire. The film also stars Laura Dern as Ray Kroc's first wife Ethel; John Carroll Lynch as Mac McDonald and Nick Offerman as Dick McDonald."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_founder/

My Review:

This is a fascinating look at the early development of the McDonald's fast food empire, one of the most famous franchising stories in business history. It takes some artistic license with the actual historical record, but the broad themes of the Ray Kroc story are accurate. Michael Keaton's portrayal of Kroc is excellent overall, but he really shines in the cold-hearted scenes where this otherwise brilliant businessman displays the unseemly personal traits that still tarnish his legacy.

8 popcorns

#424 7 years ago

I saw John Wick 2, pretty bad ass if you liked the first you will defiantly like this, maybe even better than the first?

#425 7 years ago

Inside out 8.5/ 10
The look of silence 9/10
Phoenix 8/10
Brooklyn 9/10
Blind 8.5/10
The assasin 9/10

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sorry but M Night Shyamalan should be black listed. He made one great film.....one. Well "Unbreakable" was okay. The rest were total trash and I honestly think "The Happening" might be the worst movie I've ever scene. End rant.

Well I guess differing opinions...

I think Unbreakable is his best movie partly because it doesn't have much of a twist which keeps it from being stupid on repeat viewings. I love the music. I love Willis' understated performance. It may be my favorite superhero movie.

The Sixth Sense doesn't hold up as well because of the twist. I watched it a couple of times and don't need to see it again.

Signs is about like Sixth Sense but brighter and dumber although I kind of prefer watching it.

Everything he made after Signs is pretty awful.

The Happening is terrible but in an awesome way. Wahlberg is at his worst here. His acting never changes much but he was at his most annoying. Watch the OSW Review of The Happening. It's hilarious.

Split was pretty great for me. MacAvoy's performance was so interesting and fun. It drove the movie. I didn't really notice the PG13 rating till afterwards when I was thinking about it. It didn't have a twist ending either but a build till we see the monster which I loved. The ending also made me think we may see a Shyamalan extended universe

#427 7 years ago

I saw La La Land. I'm not sure what the hubbub's about. I liked it well enough but it's not Academy Award winning (but we'll get into that later). 6/10

Been watching a lot of older movies lately because I got a CED Videodisc player.

Used Cars 6/10
Six Pack 5/10
Neighbors (1983) 6/10
Longest Yard with Burt 7/10
Starting Over 5/10

#428 7 years ago

Intersteller was really good, but man I had a hard time hearing the dialogue. All the mumbling and background noise drowning it out. Cool movie though.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone seen "lego batman movie"? I am taking my son and one of his friends today and kind of dreading it. The lego movie burned my eyeballs and brain with its ADD storytelling, I'm expecting more of the same. ... and I LIKE superhero movies!

Just watched this. Not in the same league as Despicable Me or The Incredibles, but not awful either. I'll say 6 1/2 popcorns. Oh yeah, sat in D-Box seating. I would never pay full price for D-Box, but it was kinda cool.

#430 7 years ago

Anybody want to give their opinion on who should win the Academy Awards this year from the available nominees?

Best Picture
My three faves of this category were Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or High Water. The first two were spectacles worth seeing on the big screen. The last one reminded me of a 70s movie with it's low budget, location shooting. Music was great too.

When pressed I'd probably go with Arrival for best picture. It's close between it and Hacksaw Ridge for me.

Best Director
Easy pick for me. Mel Gibson. His direction of action, the look and lighting of the film, it was amazing. I went expecting another basic war movie but it was visually appealing as well as a interesting movie.

Best Actor
I can't pick this one. I didn't get to see three of the films and Denzel and Viggo are usually top notch. Andrew Garfield was great though.

Best Animated Feature
For me it was Kubo and the Two Strings. The animation was exciting. The music was great and the story was interesting. I loved it. It won't win because of Zootopia which I thought was formulaic but oh well.

#431 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Just watched this. Not in the same league as Despicable Me or The Incredibles, but not awful either. I'll say 6 1/2 popcorns. Oh yeah, sat in D-Box seating. I would never pay full price for D-Box, but it was kinda cool.

Why did you pick those two to compare it to? I consider both of those lower tier animations anyways.

Lego Batman was pretty fun to me. I loved the many references to previous Batfilms. It surprised me with how heavy it pushed it's message but that was cool. The beginning was the best when it was just more of the Batman we saw from The Lego Movie. 7/10

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Why did you pick those two to compare it to? I consider both of those lower tier animations anyways.
7/10

Because it's not just about the animation. I really enjoyed both of those movies and have watched them more than once. I just don't have the same opinion of Lego Batman.

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Anybody want to give their opinion on who should win the Academy Awards this year from the available nominees?
Best Picture
My three faves of this category were Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or High Water. The first two were spectacles worth seeing on the big screen. The last one reminded me of a 70s movie with it's low budget, location shooting. Music was great too.
When pressed I'd probably go with Arrival for best picture. It's close between it and Hacksaw Ridge for me.
Best Director
Easy pick for me. Mel Gibson. His direction of action, the look and lighting of the film, it was amazing. I went expecting another basic war movie but it was visually appealing as well as a interesting movie.
Best Actor
I can't pick this one. I didn't get to see three of the films and Denzel and Viggo are usually top notch. Andrew Garfield was great though.
Best Animated Feature
For me it was Kubo and the Two Strings. The animation was exciting. The music was great and the story was interesting. I loved it. It won't win because of Zootopia which I thought was formulaic but oh well.

Second vote for Kubo. Laika Entertainment does not disappoint.

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Because it's not just about the animation. I really enjoyed both of those movies and have watched them more than once. I just don't have the same opinion of Lego Batman.

I was talking about them as a whole as well. Despicable Me is decent but I was disappointed that they advertised him as a supervillain but he's not much of one. It was pretty standard overall. I actually prefered Megamind because his and Metro Man's story is pretty interesting.

Despicable Me 2 was garbage. It was shocking how bad it was. Like Cars 2 bad. Minions was OK. Probably about same good as the first one.

The Incredibles is great. One of the weaker Pixars still makes it better than most everything else.

I'm kind of an animation nut. But I prefer movies that don't talk down to kids. The Secret of Nimh was one of my faves when I was just starting grade school.

#435 7 years ago

I am an animation nut from the old school. (Who cannot use the quote feature for the life of me)

I think one of the first movies or animated movies I ever saw was this one

https://www.google.com/search?q=fantastic+planet+movie&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Fantastic planet 1973 I was six when my mom brought me. You can imagine the way the rest of my life went.

Fantastically!

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The Incredibles is great. One of the weaker Pixars still makes it better than most everything else.

I put Incredibles up with the best of Pixar (Nemo, Wall-E, Ratatouille, TS series, and Up). It's hard to say where the "weaker" Pixars start, because even the relatively weak ones like Monsters Inc are pretty solid. Dory, Good Dino, Cars 2, Monsters U weren't great.

I think Incredibles fares well against live-action superhero movies, too, especially the garbage that DC is putting out these days.

#437 7 years ago

Loved the Incredibles, bought the dvd at a garage sale for 5 bucks when my kids we little, we watched it a bunch, loved Cars but the second one was shit.

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I saw John Wick 2, pretty bad ass if you liked the first you will defiantly like this, maybe even better than the first?

John Wick was a great movie... till I realized that they were going to end it in a cliffhanger to lead into another movie. Kinda sucked that there was no real ending to the conflict and I will have to wait till the 3rd movie. At least they didn't kill his dog again.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am an animation nut from the old school. (Who cannot use the quote feature for the life of me)
I think one of the first movies or animated movies I ever saw was this one
https://www.google.com/search?q=fantastic+planet+movie&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
Fantastic planet 1973 I was six when my mom brought me. You can imagine the way the rest of my life went.
Fantastically!

I'm going to have to check that one out.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

I put Incredibles up with the best of Pixar (Nemo, Wall-E, Ratatouille, TS series, and Up). It's hard to say where the "weaker" Pixars start, because even the relatively weak ones like Monsters Inc are pretty solid. Dory, Good Dino, Cars 2, Monsters U weren't great.
I think Incredibles fares well against live-action superhero movies, too, especially the garbage that DC is putting out these days.

I put The Incredibles with the other solid Pixar movies. For me Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 are above everything else they've made. They were a perfect melding of a meaningful, moving and daring story with some comedy and wonderful animation.

I've yet to see Inside Out and Dory though.

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

John Wick was a great movie... till I realized that they were going to end it in a cliffhanger to lead into another movie. Kinda sucked that there was no real ending to the conflict and I will have to wait till the 3rd movie. At least they didn't kill his dog again.

Yea glad they didnt kill the dog, but was bummed about the Mustang.

#441 7 years ago

John Wick 2. 9.5 popcorns

Bad Santa 2. 3 popcorns

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I put The Incredibles with the other solid Pixar movies. For me Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 are above everything else they've made. They were a perfect melding of a meaningful, moving and daring story with some comedy and wonderful animation.
I've yet to see Inside Out and Dory though.

I need to watch 3 again. Saw it in theaters and thought it was great, but can't remember if it's head-and-shoulders above 1 and 2.

Inside Out was great. I have digital codes for it and Finding Dory available at a reasonable price (or trade for other digital movies) if you need them.

#443 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I need to watch 3 again. Saw it in theaters and thought it was great, but can't remember if it's head-and-shoulders above 1 and 2.
Inside Out was great. I have digital codes for it and Finding Dory available at a reasonable price (or trade for other digital movies) if you need them.

I teared up watching 3 but I consistently forget how good 2 is. I'm pretty sure 3's the best but I should rewatch 2 to be sure. I love 1 but the animation doesn't hold up as well. It's still great though.

I love a kid's movie that pushes the boundaries of what kids can see. I just watched the Kenny Rogers vehicle Six Pack. It's not very good but it was admirable how one kid named Mouth would say bitch, shit and bastard. I like lessons to be taught but not at the expense of realism. By realism I'm talking about the way different people act everyday.

#444 7 years ago

My wife and I saw "La La Land" for on Valentine's Day.

She gives it 10 popcorns. It's her favorite movie of the past few years. It resonates with her on so many levels. She is an "LA" native and she misses California. She is a sucker for a good romantic movie. And she just loves Ryan Gosling. So that trifecta sealed her love and affection for this movie.

I thought it was fantastic. I really enjoyed the story and the musical numbers were well done. I enjoyed the chemistry between Stone and Gosling. I enjoyed the scenic views. And most of all, I cared for the characters.

I give it 8 popcorns.

Marcus

#445 7 years ago

Anyone see the new 50 shades of grey?

As far as John Wick goes, a corvette and Camaro guy so destroying that rusting didn't hurt my feelings

#446 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Anyone see the new 50 shades of grey?
As far as John Wick goes, a corvette and Camaro guy so destroying that rusting didn't hurt my feelings

what about the Chevelle right at the beginning, it got a huge dent but was fixable.

#447 7 years ago

The Chevelle was pretty sweet. I liked it better then the mustang.

So any of you people in the know have any idea how he is going to operate since he has been excommunicated and everyone is after him. He has no safe haven.

#448 7 years ago

Did anybody notice Emma Stone's husband in La La Land was Tom Everett Scott who played a jazz drummer in That Thing You Do?

I thought that was pretty neat. It's a favorite of mine. It must have been known to the director who previously directed Whiplash.

1 week later
#449 7 years ago

Spilt

I liked it! Quite slow pace, but I never found it boring.

McAvoy did a great job flicking through the 6 (of 24) different characters that were in Kevin's head. He had some good accents happening too.

I'd go 8 Popcorns. Liked it!

rd

#450 7 years ago

Saw Logan a few hours ago, pretty good liked John Wick better though.

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.