A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,571 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.
#1551 3 months ago

Another Disney classic that never gets old and I can watch over and over-Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

A true family friendly film that everyone enjoys.

I give this one 9 out of 10 pops for being a timeless classic.

Honey I shrunk the kids (resized).jpgHoney I shrunk the kids (resized).jpg

HISTK (resized).jpgHISTK (resized).jpg

#1552 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Another Disney classic that never gets old and I can watch over and over-Honey I Shrunk The Kids.
A true family friendly film that everyone enjoys.
I give this one 9 out of 10 pops for being a timeless classic.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I really miss Rick Moranis, but I respect his decision to raise his kids after his wife died

#1553 3 months ago

Haven’t been to the cinema much recently - however had some spare hours yesterday and went to Five Nights at Freddie’s.

Probably more a kids movie than an adults movie to be fair.

It was … a tad boring. But filled in two hours. It had some pinball machines. Basically the same premise as Willies Wonderland, but without the bonus of Cage.

5 popcorns. Your 12 year old might like it.

rd

#1554 3 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Haven’t been to the cinema much recently - however had some spare hours yesterday and went to Five Nights at Freddie’s.
Probably more a kids movie than an adults movie to be fair.
It was … a tad boring. But filled in two hours. It had some pinball machines. Basically the same premise as Willies Wonderland, but without the bonus of Cage.
5 popcorns. Your 12 year old might like it.
rd

I found it "ok+".

4 weeks later
#1555 77 days ago

"Ecstacy of Order: The Tetris Masters"

Caught this streaming on Documentary+

Having watched the Tetris World Championships live at PRGE, it was really interesting hearing the stories behind some of the masters. This documentary brings together all the world record holders for a competition. The movie builds up Thor Aackerlund as a kind of protagonist. He won one of the original Nintendo World Championships in 1990 playing NES Tetris, but then disappeared from the scene. What happend? And after 20 years, will he show up for the competition? Will his old skills hold up against the new record holders? You have to watch to find out.

Other similar documentaries / If you liked these... The King of Kong, Free to Play

#1556 77 days ago

"Donovan's Echo"

I remember hearing about this movie or seeing it in sci-fi lists, but have never seen it until now. I think I caught it streaming on Pluto Fantasy.

Donovan tragically lost his family in a car accident many years prior and has never overcome the grief and stress. Now he's experiencing deja-vu in observing the lives of his neighbors. Is he losing his mind, or are his premonitions giving him a purpose to his life and past experiences?

Certainly not a plot that hasn't been done before, but this style appeals to me, so I found it good entertainment.

Similar to / if you liked these... K-Pax, Knowing, A Beautiful Mind

#1557 77 days ago

"All Things Must Pass"

Think this one was also streaming on Documentary+

Many years later, this looks back at the rise and fall of Tower Records. From humble beginnings in 1960, to conquering the world in the 90s, and bankruptcy in 2006, ride this roller coaster with the people who were there and experienced it first hand. This was a great ride, I'd say the ticket was worth it.

Similar to / if you liked this... Class Action Park

#1558 77 days ago

Heard about the Netflix series REACHER.....Great stuff!

#1559 74 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

"Ecstacy of Order: The Tetris Masters"
Caught this streaming on Documentary+
Having watched the Tetris World Championships live at PRGE, it was really interesting hearing the stories behind some of the masters. This documentary brings together all the world record holders for a competition. The movie builds up Thor Aackerlund as a kind of protagonist. He won one of the original Nintendo World Championships in 1990 playing NES Tetris, but then disappeared from the scene. What happend? And after 20 years, will he show up for the competition? Will his old skills hold up against the new record holders? You have to watch to find out.
Other similar documentaries / If you liked these... The King of Kong, Free to Play

I felt “special when lit” had this vibe too.

It is my favorite pinball movie.

#1560 74 days ago

Leave the world behind.. See what happens to america when our infrastructure fails

No hard feelings with jennifer lawrence, Matthew broderick plays the dad. Fun movie.. short nude scene Jennifer fighting on the beach

#1561 73 days ago

"Rob the Mob"

You can file this one under "Truth is Stranger than Fiction". I caught this streaming near the start, not knowing what it was about, but it sucked me in: what a crazy story, funny and suspenseful. I was astounded when it ended and there was a where-are-they-now retrospective revealing this was a documentary! The title says most of it. A young punk figures out a way he can rip off the mob, and this retells the tale. I don't remember the movie really getting into a major contributing factor but the ending retrospective made that clear.

#1562 73 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

"All Things Must Pass"
Similar to / if you liked this... Class Action Park

Another rise-and-fall documentary that just came to mind I could have mentioned in this category...

"GLOW: The Story of The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling".

Although I wasn't a fan, I vaguely recalled the show and a few of the wrestlers, as it came on after NWA wrestling back in the day, which I did watch. If you also ever watched wrestling, this would probably entertain you too with the history of the start, and the behind the scenes stories. Plus, this is your chance to see the cheezy chants and skits if you've never seen them! But as to the fall, it didn't fade away, nor end due to lack of popularity. It apparently ended dead stop at the height of popularity due to something you wouldn't guess.

And speaking of wrestling documentaries, "Dark Side of the Ring" is a great series. I found s3e04 "The Collision in Korea" and s3e08 "The Plane Ride from Hell" hilarous. A lot of them are tragic and sad: the one about the Von Erichs is difficult to watch.

#1563 73 days ago

Now that I'm thinking about these rise-and-fall documentaries, feel like it's worth mentioning this one too.

"Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators"

I thought this was a movie, but just looking it up, it was a recent mini-series on Netflix. Regardless, it might be the best of the bunch, next to "Class Action Park" which is the must-see if you only see one of these, and ever want to a water park in the 80's. But here's the info on the AGs one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27851747/

2 weeks later
#1564 57 days ago

I watched "Leave the World Behind" over the holidays. The trailer made it look like an action-filled sci-fi, but it's actually mostly dialog and suspense. The suspense and story build up is good. But the ending is a lazy cop-out. None of the questions and suspense that is built up is answered. So if you want to watch an imagine-your-own ending movie, this might be for you. But I'm not a fan of these leaving-you-wonder. I'm rating this one "unsatisfying".

I caught another one that you can file under that rating too, "Z for Zachariah". It felt like a cheap made-for-TV / made-for-streaming movie, but I'm a bit of a sucker for the post-apocalyptic plot lines and it seemed like it was building up to something so I kept watching. But nope, not really: kind of ends in the middle just when something interesting happens. You can write your own ending for this one too, because the author's were too lazy again, ha.

#1565 57 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I watched "Leaving the World Behind" over the holidays. The trailer made it look like an action-filled sci-fi, but it's actually mostly drama and suspense. The suspense and story build up is good. But the ending is a lazy cop-out. None of the questions and suspense that is built up is answered. So if you want to watch an imagine-your-own ending movie, this might be for you. But I'm not a fan of these leaving-you-wonder. I'm rating this one "unsatisfying".
I caught another one that you can file under that rating too, "Z for Zachariah". It felt like a cheap made-for-TV / made-for-streaming movie, but I'm a bit of a sucker for the post-apocalyptic plot lines and it seemed like it was building up to something so I kept watching. But nope, not really: kind of ends in the middle just when something interesting happens. You can write your own ending for this one too, because the author's were too lazy again, ha.

Most people hated the ending to "leaving the world" including me.. wasn't even like a sopranos ending where you're left guessing, it just sort of ended in the middle of a bunch of shit happening. It was like a well done movie and then they ran out of money to finish it.

#1566 57 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Most people hated the ending to "leaving the world" including me.. wasn't even like a sopranos ending where you're left guessing, it just sort of ended in the middle of a bunch of shit happening. It was like a well done movie and then they ran out of money to finish it.

I was surprised to learn that the Obama's were executive producers for this after watching it. I did a bit more investigation, and if I knew that, along with these quips I could have saved a couple of hours...

[Obama] really wanted to do justice by the book and this theme about mistrust and this being a cautionary tale about what could happen if we don’t have that community or bond that holds us together

Director [Sam Esmail] made a few changes from the novel — particularly with the film’s ambiguous ending

It makes you wonder what the novel's ending was, but I doubt the director's is an improvement. I hope I remember the director's name so I can avoid him in the future, ha.

#1567 57 days ago

I liked Leave the World Behind, including the ending. It definitely had some flaws that I can't really point out without some pretty significant spoilers, but overall I prefer this type of horror over the traditional type with it hitting a lot closer to home.

#1568 56 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I watched "Leave the World Behind" over the holidays. The trailer made it look like an action-filled sci-fi, but it's actually mostly dialog and suspense. The suspense and story build up is good. But the ending is a lazy cop-out. None of the questions and suspense that is built up is answered. So if you want to watch an imagine-your-own ending movie, this might be for you. But I'm not a fan of these leaving-you-wonder. I'm rating this one "unsatisfying".

I would enjoy my time added back into to my life that I used to watch this propaganda. for at least two reasons.
But I guess I’m glad I watched it so I can adequately discuss it.

1 month later
#1569 20 days ago

If you are a fan of the classic Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart(10 out of 10 pops) then you may enjoy another Humphrey movie from the essential collection.

1951- The African Queen. I give this one 8 out of 10 pops for the suspense and classic plot. A memorable movie that leaves a lasting impression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_African_Queen_(film)
The_African_Queen_(1952_US_poster) (resized).jpgThe_African_Queen_(1952_US_poster) (resized).jpg

#1570 20 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

1951- The African Queen.

My great uncle, in his mid 90s didn't say too much. African Queen was on the TV & when Hepburn started to pour out the booze, my uncle spoke up.
"That bitch is pouring out all the good booze. "

I just about died laughing.

1 week later
#1571 11 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If you are a fan of the classic Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart(10 out of 10 pops) then you may enjoy another Humphrey movie from the essential collection.
1951- The African Queen. I give this one 8 out of 10 pops for the suspense and classic plot. A memorable movie that leaves a lasting impression.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_African_Queen_(film)
[quoted image]

I am planning on watching that entire series on my new apartment complex private theater.
Very nice.

There are 1,571 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.