A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 32.
#1451 2 years ago

The Hot Chick

Surprisingly refreshing and fun compared to recent movies.

#1452 2 years ago

Throwing this out...lots of talk on next James Bond. No actor lists mention Josh Brolin. He's a little older to be starting the role, but has the creds. Plus James Brolin did do a test to be a replacement. Thoughts? Kind of be neat to see him get the part his father did audition for, even for a couple movies.

#1453 2 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Throwing this out...lost of talk on next James Bond. No actor lists mention Josh Brolin. He's a little older to be starting the role, but has the creds. Plus James Brolin did do a test to be a replacement. Thoughts?

Character's too UK. Its not like DDLewis playing Lincoln man, they'll go fucking crazy over it.
No better choice than Idris Elba

#1454 2 years ago

I know, has to be someone as in the past. English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish or Australian. Just wanted to open it up with his creds and that his father did screen test for it. Make it interesting.

#1455 2 years ago

Gunna be a challenge to replace Daniel Craig. It was an easier sell to replace Pierce Brosnan. His movies were the 90s/2000s in a nutshell. They were campy and on brand with Bond.

"Christmas came early" omegalulz JB.

How do you replace gritty James Bond? How do you replace origin story James Bond? How do you replace emotional James Bond? How do you replace Daniel Craig's James Bond?

#1456 2 years ago

Body of Lies with Leonard DiCaprio, directed by Ridley Scott. A movie of the times '08. T

Leo is a CIA operative fighting terrorists. That's all you need to know really. The movie has a hard time deciding between being a political thriller or action film.

6/10 pops.

#1457 2 years ago

Promising Young Woman. 8/10. Worth the watch. A Sadistic & charming revenge story. Has a few plot holes but nothing egregious for a sudo horror movie. Great social commentary about the lack of strong character in our young men. On HBO max

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Throwing this out...lots of talk on next James Bond. No actor lists mention Josh Brolin. He's a little older to be starting the role, but has the creds. Plus James Brolin did do a test to be a replacement. Thoughts? Kind of be neat to see him get the part his father did audition for, even for a couple movies.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Gunna be a challenge to replace Daniel Craig. It was an easier sell to replace Pierce Brosnan. His movies were the 90s/2000s in a nutshell. They were campy and on brand with Bond.
"Christmas came early" omegalulz JB.
How do you replace gritty James Bond? How do you replace origin story James Bond? How do you replace emotional James Bond? How do you replace Daniel Craig's James Bond?

Adam west had an oppertunity to be 007:
https://handitv.com/stories/adam-west-almost-became-james-bond-perhaps-thanks-to-a-chocolate-milk-ad

https://reelrundown.com/celebrities/Actors-Who-Were-Almost-Cast-as-James-Bond#:~:text=The%20original%20Caped%20Crusader%20Adam%20West%20was%20known,British.%20He%20ended%20up%20turning%20the%20role%20down.

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

How do you replace origin story James Bond?

The character of James Bond is timeless. Bond is a man to admire, in any decade he has an old school cool about him. How do you keep with the current story line without Bond? 007 as a woman or a young hipster just won't work for me. Like Spiderman, perhaps James Bond can come back in another dimension.

#1460 2 years ago

Daniel Craig for me was pretty piss poor. He had a good look, but bit the banter.
But honestly 007 hasn't really interested me since a kid in the 80s. Little bit with Goldeneye I guess.

#1461 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Daniel Craig for me was pretty piss poor. He had a good look, but bit the banter.
But honestly 007 hasn't really interested me since a kid in the 80s. Little bit with Goldeneye I guess.

It went downhill hard after goldeneye. I still watched all of them since I was a kid in the 90s, but they're almost unwatchable now. The Craig ones have been entertaining but pretty forgettable. I will say Skyfall was one of my all-time favorite Bonds.

#1462 2 years ago

Just finished The Fare (Prime). Not what I was expecting, in a good way.

Great sleepy afternoon flick.

#1463 2 years ago

just saw the new bond movie.
after 15 minutes i lost interest and began to read some threads on pinside.
another great franchise that is ruined by some untalented writers .

#1464 2 years ago

2021 Disney Eternals:

I knew right away that this movie would be complete garbage and to wait until it streams and not to waste a penny in the theatre. All you had to say is Salma Hayec and Angelina Jolie and I lowered my head in disgust. This was a low point in the Marvel universe and I will pretend it does not exist.

I give this one a .05 pops because that is the amount of time I wasted watching it-turned off after first fight scene in five minutes. Wonder if all the cheesy toys are selling big time at Target stores? Huge fail-do not waste your time.

#1465 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

2021 Disney Eternals

Not sure what the point of the movie was. Lol. The movie was bad which is a shame because the characters are on the verge of interesting. The movie would have benefited from actual villains.

#1466 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

2021 Disney Eternals:
I knew right away that this movie would be complete garbage and to wait until it streams and not to waste a penny in the theatre. All you had to say is Salma Hayec and Angelina Jolie and I lowered my head in disgust. This was a low point in the Marvel universe and I will pretend it does not exist.
I give this one a .05 pops because that is the amount of time I wasted watching it-turned off after first fight scene in five minutes. Wonder if all the cheesy toys are selling big time at Target stores? Huge fail-do not waste your time.

I place it in the "trying too hard" category. Marvel outwardly trying to catch lightning in a bottle, Avengers 2.0 this is not. It's ok for what it is, and a lot was covered in one sitting. Ultimately, I'm in no hurry for the next chapter. I'll probably watch, but I could easily forget about this franchise.

#1467 2 years ago

The Last Duel with Adam Driver, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon. 8/10 pops.

Entertaining for what it was, a bit long. Ridley Scott directs well. He is a good director when he's not obsessed with AI and robots.

#1468 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

The Last Duel with Adam Driver, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon. 8/10 pops.
Entertaining for what it was, a bit long. Ridley Scott directs well. He is a good director when he's not obsessed with AI and robots.

Just watched that yesterday. I don't usually do well with period pieces, and this one was L_O_N_G, for me at least.

I get tired of the cool kids overtly picking on the nerds in movies. It's long been overplayed.

That said, an interesting movie that exeeded my expectations.

1 week later
#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Finally had time to watch Nobody yesterday. WOW! This Movie does get your attention right from the start! Lots of WTF moments that will have you wondering what's going on. And a Christopher Lloyd was great in this (even if he only had a limited roll in the movie).

I give it a 8 out of 10

I agree with your review. Nobody via HBO Max is a fun movie. If you like John wick or Bob Odenkirk you'll like Nobody.

3 weeks later
#1470 2 years ago

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022 via Netflix. Sooooooo bad. It is the complete opposite of 2018's Halloween. It's borderline unwatchable.

If you have 90minutes to waste, Netflix, enjoy blood and want to not feel, then give it a watch.

Characters suck, plot sucks, even the chainsawing sucks. Not scary or suspenseful.

3/10 pops. Too bad too because Netflix could have had something here.

#1471 2 years ago

Border - 2019 Swedish (subs)

If you’re sick of Hollywood guys dressing up in stupid fancy dress costumes, check this out.

It’s so far out of left field, you can’t even see it over there.

Just totally original. A number of times my movie buddy said “how did they come up with all this?”

Being Scandinavian, it’s not fast paced.

8/10 popcorns.

rd

#1472 2 years ago

Nightmare alley....Meh

#1473 2 years ago

Licorice Pizza

Had been looking forward to this.

Left the theatre a little underwhelmed to be honest.

The cinematography was great - you were in 1970s Los Angeles for two hours.

The movie, like some of Anderson’s other movies, sorta feels like a bunch of scenes put together. Some have no impact on the story - they’re just sorta there. Like Sean Penn rang him up and said “can I be in the movie?” “Sure! I’ll give you some scenes to do”

I’ll probably like it better next time I watch it.

Hey - enjoyable enough. And it does have some pinball stuff at the end. The 70s vibe is very well done.

6 popcorns.

rd

#1474 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nightmare alley....Meh

I can't decide if what I watched was good or not. The movie has all of the "movie things" to be good. Proper writing, motifs, character motivations but the problem I have is it's a Guillermo del Toro movie & it's not on brand. There's no werewolves or creatures.

#1475 2 years ago

Nobody. I was entertained, and I appreciate a nice concise runtime.

8/10 popcorns

1 month later
#1476 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I can't decide if what I watched was good or not. The movie has all of the "movie things" to be good. Proper writing, motifs, character motivations but the problem I have is it's a Guillermo del Toro movie & it's not on brand. There's no werewolves or creatures.

It's a remake of a 1947 movie. The original is pretty good (and there's a 1936 Bally Bumper in it as well! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/64#post-6537706 ).
The title on the original is kind of odd. It makes it sound like a horror movie, but it's not. It's a Noir drama.

1 week later
#1477 2 years ago

The Green Knight 9/10 pops. Arthurian tale. Very avant garde. Visually well done. Plot was good & a slow burner. Plot was original compared to the trash movies Netflix is releasing these days.

$2 at the Redbox

1 month later
#1478 1 year ago

Okay, So I DIDN'T go see Top Gun: Maverick, but I did go see the Bob's Burgers Movie this weekend.
And if you're a fan of the show, you'll defiantly like it (and I had already seen the first 10 Minutes of it back in April at Wonder Con).
Kind of nice to see a (Mostly) 2D animated movie for a change.
And they didn't bring in a bunch of "Guest actors" into the movie. It's most of the T.V. cast. I think only Megan Mullally was the only person not in the movie.

I'll defiantly have to watch / listen to the movie again when it comes out on Blu Ray. I probably missed a lot of the visual gags, but I caught a lot of those and and some quick one liners that were quite funny.

#1479 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever!!

#1480 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ok.

#1481 1 year ago

Okay, So I DIDN'T go see Top Gun: Maverick, but I did go see the Bob's Burgers Movie this weekend.
And if you're a fan of the show, you'll defiantly like it (and I had already seen the first 10 Minutes of it back in April at Wonder Con).
Kind of nice to see a (Mostly) 2D animated movie for a change.
And they didn't bring in a bunch of "Guest actors" into the movie. It's most of the T.V. cast. I think only Megan Mullally was the only person not in the movie.
I'll defiantly have to watch / listen to the movie again when it comes out on Blu Ray. I probably missed a lot of the visual gags, but I caught a lot of those and and some quick one liners that were quite funny.

Seen it on Saturday. I enjoyed as well. It's a lighthearted show and the movie followed suit. The one thing I never understand about animated television making the jump to a feature film is the extra shadowing they implant onto the characters and sets in relationship to the sun. The restaurant looked so dark compared to the show. Annoyed me a bit.

It's a strange look that always bugged me. The Simpsons movie was the same way.

#1482 1 year ago

Saw Top Gun Maverick over the weekend and hands down the single best film/theater experience I've had since the original Matrix and Jurassic Park before that. Walked in expecting good stuff, watched good stuff and walked out with a smile on my face. I can count how many movies I've seen my entire life that qualify as such. Last I checked it was 96%/99% on RT as well.

Had the look, the feel and everything of a Tony Scott movie from the late 80s, early 90s (Top Gun, Days of Thunder etc..). It was a true summer blockbuster and it wasn't trying to cater to anyone or anything outside of that. What was a refreshingly absent was the forced focus group content, political or activist driven agendas. It was very clearly a movie carefully crafted by committee and with intent. The action sequences were better than I could have expected and I really have zero complaints.

Anyone who's been turned away from theaters or movies in general over the last 5+ years will be transported back to the 90s with this great film. 9/10
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpgTop_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg

#1483 1 year ago

I’m glad you reconsidered and see it my way!

#1484 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Greatest Bond since Sean Connery that is.

#1485 1 year ago

Greatest Bond since Sean Connery that is.

Ok it was a different time and a different world.I think I liked Craig right out of the gate when they presented him as more gritty and real.Connery could have done the same and as far as that goes Pierce Bronson didn’t get a fair shake!
Some of the writing and special effects in Pierce’s movies was just ridiculous

#1486 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ok it was a different time and a different world.I think I liked Craig right out of the gate when they presented him as more gritty and real.Connery could have done the same and as far as that goes Pierce Bronson didn’t get a fair shake!
Some of the writing and special effects in Pierce’s movies was just ridiculous

To be honest, I liked Pierce as bond, but the movies themselves mostly weren't that good.
Same for Timothy Dalton. I hated his first Bond film, but License to Kill was way better.
The only Bond I didn't care for was The Saint ... I mean Roger Moore.
He was way to old when he joined the franchise, and didn't come off as well as Connery or even George Lazenby ( I know a lot of people hate him and On Her Majesties Secret Service, but admittedly the movie doesn't start off well, but it does get really good later into the movie).
It's just too bad that none of Roger Moores Bond films were as good as For Your Eyes Only. Maybe Live and let Die was a close second to it though.

#1487 1 year ago

It's just too bad that none of Roger Moores Bond films were as good as For Your Eyes Only...

There's no Bond films ever as good as FYEO...that thing has got it all.

#1488 1 year ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

...The one thing I never understand about animated television making the jump to a feature film is the extra shadowing they implant onto the characters and sets in relationship to the sun. The restaurant looked so dark compared to the show....

That seems to be true of most flat animation. Maybe it's done for presentation on a projection surface. Who Knows?

#1489 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There's no Bond films ever as good as FYEO...that thing has got it all.

ehhh, maybe for a Moore film. But it does have a great conclusion though (No Spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen it!)

#1490 1 year ago

I always got a kick out of Felix in any of those movies. Maybe cause I'm an american rube?

#1491 1 year ago

Really enjoyed this, weird in a good way.

Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
#1492 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Really enjoyed this, weird in a good way.
[quoted image]

trailer looked good. its on my to-watch list.

#1493 1 year ago

… or even George Lazenby ( I know a lot of people hate him and On Her Majesties Secret Service, but admittedly the movie doesn't start off well, but it does get really good later into the movie).
It's just too bad that none of Roger Moores Bond films were as good as For Your Eyes Only. Maybe Live and let Die was a close second to it though.

I feel On Her Majesties Secret Service is one of the best bond movies and Lazenby was fine…better than Moore or Brosnan

#1494 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I feel On Her Majesties Secret Service is one of the best bond movies and Lazenby was fine…better than Moore or Brosnan

What's ever weirder is that there are people that love Goldfinger, but hate On Her Majesties Secret Service, but they don't know both movies had the same director.

Admittedly, OHMSS doesn't start out very good, but it gets real good as it goes along, and then, there's the ending. No spoilers, but the ending sets up the beginning of Diamonds are Forever.

#1495 1 year ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Saw Top Gun Maverick over the weekend and hands down the single best film/theater experience I've had since the original Matrix and Jurassic Park before that.

Sorry, but I can't give that Scientology Cult Member a dime.....

#1496 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sorry, but I can't give that Scientology Cult Member a dime.....

You kidding bro?

#1497 1 year ago

Topgun was a blast just left the theater. If you want an action movie with only the mission in mind expect a great movie experience. Go see it in theaters. 5 out of 5 bags of popcorn.

2 weeks later
#1498 1 year ago

Slightly off topic about going to the actual theater…

So I went with some friends to see Jurassic park dominion recently.
I have never experienced such a loud crowd. Kids not told to be quiet. Part of a 25-30 person family party.

I was friendly to the manager, but I told him, I’ll need a refund or something. 4 passes then given.

It was pretty bad to the point I am not going back to any theater for a very long time. I will use the passes, but I’m buying a new sound bar and then staying home for about a year.

Rant almost over.
It’s too bad, but I had never heard a more rude crowd. Never want to again.

I’m 54 and been going to theaters since I was five. I think my very first film was 2001 a space odyssey at five years old. I was somehow able to be quiet. Shake the magic eight ball and try again later…

#1499 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

It was pretty bad to the point I am not going back to any theater for a very long time.

This is why I always go to the movies during the day - during the week. There’s nobody there.

Otherwise, everyone’s on their phones, bright white screens everywhere - it’s just beyond annoying.

I might have mentioned before - but since the COVID lockdowns, I just fell out of the habit of going to the cinema. I used to go every week. Sometimes more than once. I’ve been like 5x in two years now.

A/ most new Hollywood movies are just shit now. The same recycled f**king nonsense over and over. Avengers Infinity quest was the last straw for me. That scene towards the end where Th-anus is there, and hundreds of “superheroes” line up against him. And can’t touch him. GTFO. What nonsense.

B/ most good content is on the streaming services now. The series they’re putting out now are so much more in depth and complete than what you can put in 2 hours in a theatre. Imagine Breaking Bad all rolled into one 2 hour movie. It’s only a snap shot of what it can be in a long series.

Unless Hollywood ups it’s act, the movie cinema as we know it is doomed. Sure, there’s the occasional hyped blockbuster, but most movie theatres are empty.

rd

3 months later
#1500 1 year ago

Clerks 3 stream started yesterday. Even though some of it was repeating lines from the first movie (duh, the plot was filming clerks), if you liked the first film it was a great watch because like EVERYONE came back. It also wrapped up nicely in the end.

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.