A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 32.
#1301 4 years ago

Yeah US is pretty damn good.
If you haven't already try Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
And Crawl is fun also.

#1302 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Then I'm going to rent Us. I'll leave a review afterwards. Any other movies I should add pinside?

Yep, US is good. Keeps you thinking at the end too, the type of movie I like. Rather than just slasher stuff, that’s not really my bag.

Get Out is the same director, that’s really good. Not really a horror as such though. But a good movie!

I like the first two Conjuring movies - probably considered to be “horror lite” but they are loosely based on the true stories of the Warrens, the Catholic Churches ghost hunters. I heard an interview with the lady who wrote the initial book that the first movie was based on (about a haunted farm house, the lady was one of the daughters who lived there) and she reckons that the movie was actually a bit tamer than what actually happened. But she could just be trying to sell books ...

rd

#1303 4 years ago

Here here on the Conjuring movies!
Skip the Annabelles.

#1304 4 years ago

Also not a horror guy, but I'll recommend "Cabin in the Woods". Completely unique and fun. A must watch for the genre in my opinion.

#1305 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Also not a horror guy, but I'll recommend "Cabin in the Woods". Completely unique and fun. A must watch for the genre in my opinion.

yep, that was a good one.

rd

#1306 4 years ago

That is one of my favorites!

#1307 4 years ago

I don't know how I missed the movie thread. I love movies! So much so that I built this in my basement. Full soundproofing and acoustically treated walls. The screen is 2.35 : 1 acoustically transparent and the front / center / subs are hidden behind the screen. The front 1/3 of the theater is wrapped in velvet panels to eat up any screen wash.

I still need another row of chairs and a door, but it's close.

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow last night which was pretty bad ass, even though I'm not a Tom Cruise fan.

IMG_5299 (resized).JPGIMG_5299 (resized).JPG

IMG_5305 (resized).JPGIMG_5305 (resized).JPG

#1308 4 years ago

Probably the best "paybacks a MF" movie ever.

#1309 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I don't know how I missed the movie thread. I love movies! So much so that I built this in my basement. Full soundproofing and acoustically treated walls. The screen is 2.35 : 1 acoustically transparent and the front / center / subs are hidden behind the screen. The front 1/3 of the theater is wrapped in velvet panels to eat up any screen wash.
I still need another row of chairs and a door, but it's close.
I just watched Edge of Tomorrow last night which was pretty bad ass, even though I'm not a Tom Cruise fan.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Are those "Java" seats? I just ordered some of those to replace some berklines I had. Information on them is a little scarce.

#1310 4 years ago

Alright, some Halloween(ish) movie updates from a guy that doesn't really care for "scary" movies.

- The Conjuring - 5/10

Pretty decent for the haunting type movie, I suppose. It felt quite a bit like Poltergeist, though it's been a really long time since I've seen that. It didn't feel very original because of that. The acting was pretty good, I really like Ron Livingston. I saw there's a 2 and a 3 coming out next year. I don't know how those stories could really differentiate themselves from this one, other than a different family or location.

I went between a 4 and a 5 for this one. Overall it held our interest enough to score the extra point.

- Mother! - 5/10

This was a really odd one. If you like artsy though-provoking movies, this would probably be up your alley. It was a really slow burn, and honestly it took me quite a bit of time to understand what was happening. It's pretty controversial and in a lot of ways disturbing. I thought it was done well enough, but it really dragged out. This could definitely have been a 30-40 minute short. I checked my phone a lot, and really just wanted it to end to get some sort of closure over the whole thing as it went past my bedtime.

1 week later
#1311 4 years ago

Doctor Sleep

The continuation of 1980s The Shining follows Danny, the son from the original movie, as he battles alcoholism and ultimately his “shining”.

You can really see the director nodding his hat to the original, with lots of Kubrickisms throughout. And if you’re a fan of The Shining, you’ll see some favourite scenes return later in the movie.

Like Kubricks movies, it’s quite slow paced ... yet over its 2.5 hour running time, I never lost interest.

I think it’s a movie you’ll either love, or not care much for.

Personally, I liked it!

8 Popcorns

rd

#1312 4 years ago

If we're talking horror movies can't go wrong with " wrong turn " , sorry if it's already been mentioned .

IMG_20191114_214126 (resized).jpgIMG_20191114_214126 (resized).jpg
#1313 4 years ago

Are those "Java" seats? I just ordered some of those to replace some berklines I had. Information on them is a little scarce.

They are the Fusion Jive. I didn't have a to of width because of the support poles in the basement, so I needed something narrow. I think they have a 92" width if I remember correctly.

1 week later
#1314 4 years ago

Seen “The Irishman” twice now. Once on the small screen and once on the big screen. Definitely better on the small screen to handle the hefty 3.5 hour runtime and you can have a break etc. And it’s not really too much of a cinematic experience so you don’t miss much. Needed to be cut back to at least 2.45 hours.

Weakest of the “Goodfellas Trilogy” for sure but still good.

Full review here:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=470496326922928&id=359218388017636&anchor_composer=false

#1315 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

They are the Fusion Jive. I didn't have a to of width because of the support poles in the basement, so I needed something narrow. I think they have a 92" width if I remember correctly.

Ah yeah, that's what I meant. I just got mine and have them setup. I got the shared middle seat and a removable arm. My space is tight, so that was was probably the right move, but I'm not wild about the arm.

#1316 4 years ago

Late Phases

A blind Vietnam vet is moved into a sleepy retirement community where a werewolf attacks him. The plot moves on from there.

Definitely a must watch if you like werewolf movies!

Good acting, good plot.

8 popcorns. Watch it via Amazon Prime

2 months later
#1317 4 years ago

I believe most pinball people are attracted to great visuals and sounds. This film is a visual masterpiece. You cannot see one edit in the film, it's a constant flowing shot in real time. It's EZ to watch and I thinking to myself, "what's coming next" Go watch 1917 in a theater, great movie!

9 Popcorns

3 weeks later
#1318 4 years ago

Sweetheart 8/10

Fun movie, don't want to spoil it so I'll leave it there like the cover does.

Sweetheart DVD Cover (resized).jpgSweetheart DVD Cover (resized).jpg
#1319 4 years ago

Parasite - 8/10

I jumped on this one after all of the oscar buzz. I wasn't disappointed, it's a really well made movie. I watch the subtitled version, and I think that's always necessary for foreign films so you don't miss any voice inflections. That does make for a bit of a labored viewing - you have to actively watch his, no browsing your phone or diverting your attention in any way.

I think the less you know going into this one the better. Worthy of a $2-3 streaming rental in my opinion.

#1320 4 years ago

The Blackcoat's Daughter 3/10

Netflix picked up that I've been watching some horror recently and kept repping this to me, so I checked it out last night. The setup seems promising for the first five or ten minutes, but it's mostly wasted. Never builds much tension, and the three intersecting timelines go from seeming entirely random to completely predictable without an enjoyable "a-ha" moment. There's plenty of stage blood splattered about, but no scares (or even chills) to speak of. I'd give this one a hard pass.

#1321 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Gretal & Hanzel really surprised me in a good way; from same Director.

#1322 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gretal & Hanzel really surprised me in a good way; from same Director.

Maybe I'll check it out then. Seems like half the movies I watch these days were produced by A24, pretty good track record with their stuff so I was disappointed by Blackcoat's Daughter.

#1323 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe I'll check it out then. Seems like half the movies I watch these days were produced by A24, pretty good track record with their stuff so I was disappointed by Blackcoat's Daughter.

Well if you wanna Netlix try again his "I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House" is available too.

#1324 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I have to disagree with this. I really enjoyed the blackcoats daughter. I find that some of the movies I like best take me a couple of days to get to that conclusion. Also youtube is really great for "ending explained" videos. I like movies that are not so clear cut and leave the viewer to figure out what the hell they just experienced. For me, this was the case with TBD and I found it to be a pretty haunting movie. Ive got a copy of "The Nightengale" at home but Im afraid to watch it. Im excited for "The Colour out of Space" to come out. I did see "Sweetheart" too with my 9 year old daughter and we both found it kind of silly.

#1325 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I have to disagree with this. I really enjoyed the blackcoats daughter. I find that some of the movies I like best take me a couple of days to get to that conclusion. Also youtube is really great for "ending explained" videos. I like movies that are not so clear cut and leave the viewer to figure out what the hell they just experienced. For me, this was the case with TBD and I found it to be a pretty haunting movie. Ive got a copy of "The Nightengale" at home but Im afraid to watch it. Im excited for "The Colour out of Space" to come out. I did see "Sweetheart" too with my 9 year old daughter and we both found it kind of silly.

I also like googling movies I've just watched (love em or hate em it's fun to see what other people thought). And based on what I read I think I followed where Blackcoat's Daughter was trying to go, I just didn't find the ride or the destination to be much fun. IMO the bones of a good creepy movie were there, and the acting was mostly solid, just lots of little decisions by the filmmakers took it from a potentially decent horror flick to a slow-moving dud.

But to each his own, as they say!

#1326 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I did see "Sweetheart" too with my 9 year old daughter and we both found it kind of silly.

Silly is a good way to describe it.

#1327 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Unbreakable wasn't TOO bad and I thought because Bruce was in it maybe it might be ok....I was wrong....

Glass was a piece of crap but Unbreakable was a great film. A classic in my opinion. Lets talk about something new, that I figured would be great and wasn't. The Irishman, not terrible but damn what a let down. I saw The Joker recently and while a good movie and great performance by JPhoenix I didn't see anything amazing there. We have gotten so use to mediocrity that when something just "good" comes along we deem it a masterpiece. Same thing in music right now. Everyone freaks out over a singer that 30 40 years ago would never have gotten out of the bar/club scene.

#1328 4 years ago

Just came here to post that you should all watch Repo Man.

repo (resized).jpgrepo (resized).jpg
#1329 4 years ago
Quoted from sixleggeddog:

Just came here to post that you should all watch Repo Man.

I am lost without a popcorn rating. How many pops?

#1330 4 years ago
Quoted from sixleggeddog:

Just came here to post that you should all watch Repo Man.[quoted image]

Picasso Was Never Called an Asshole.

#1331 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I am lost without a popcorn rating. How many pops?

I would give it 9 popcorns!!!

#1332 4 years ago

Completely random posting,
Watched 1990 "The Boyfriend School" staring Steve Guttenberg, Jami Gertz, and Shelley Long. Mostly forgettable movie about a guy who recovered from Cancer who undergoes a makeover to create a new persona to make him more appearing to his love interest.

But the really random reference to me was that he patterns his appearance and mannerisms on DC's "Lobo" character, and goes by the name Lobo for most of the film. My guess is that NOBODY (including my wife) got this reference and assumed this to just be a random name chosen for him.

6 popcorns, due to the boost for the obscure comic reference and loses point for faulty New Zealand accent.

lobo1 (resized).JPGlobo1 (resized).JPGlobo2 (resized).JPGlobo2 (resized).JPG
#1333 4 years ago

Dr Sleep was really good.The Rose the Hat character was badass.
It’s probably better if you see The Shining first.

#1334 4 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I believe most pinball people are attracted to great visuals and sounds. This film is a visual masterpiece. You cannot see one edit in the film, it's a constant flowing shot in real time. It's EZ to watch and I thinking to myself, "what's coming next" Go watch 1917 in a theater, great movie!

9 Popcorns

Best movie I have seen since Mad Max Fury Road!
10Pops for me.

Girl on the Third Floor

CM Punk buys a victorian home & works to fix it up. The house may or may not be haunted.

"The film tells the story of a deeply flawed husband who renovates an old home for himself and his wife, and the supernatural events that ensue while they live there."

Weird & Gross but suspenseful. Worth a watch if you are bored. 7 Popcorns. Watch via Netflix

#1335 4 years ago

Just watched The Aeronauts on Prime - great movie

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#1336 4 years ago

Color Out of Space lives up fo sho.
I don't wanna say I doubted Stanley's triumphant return, but I for sure didn't think it would be this well; and it is. Instant Cult Classic...can it beat Hardware RobKnapp ?!?

A double feature with this and Mandy would be enough, but what if you played a Stranger Things whilst doing it? Would there be any 'Purp left in the world?

2 months later
#1337 3 years ago

Really enjoyed The Lodge.
Wouldn’t call it scary as hell though.

4A758490-D13D-4053-B1C8-DC4D3B811CA8 (resized).jpeg4A758490-D13D-4053-B1C8-DC4D3B811CA8 (resized).jpeg
#1338 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Anyone see the Cube trilogy? Any good?
[quoted image]

The first cube, just turn that on now. You will like it I’m sure.

2 months later
#1339 3 years ago

We just watched "Us".

I wasnt over the moon about Get Out, probably mostly because a friend recommended it, and then compared it to another movie I had seen, completely ruining it for me... the movie itself was well done, it just didnt really shock me since I had a pretty good idea about what I was watching.

Us on the other hand, I had no idea what to expect. The premise as portrayed in the trailers confused me. How are they going to explain this? The movie just never really answered important questions for me. It tried to address some of them, but that only made it worse.

I saw this movie has a 93 on rotten tomatoes. I really have no idea how. I give it 2 popcorns. It would be a 1 if it weren't at least well produced. But in my mind its still just a well produced horrible movie..

#1340 3 years ago

I saw this movie has a 93 on rotten tomatoes. I really have no idea how.

Because RT's is as genuine as the Pinside top 100. Take a look at Batwoman. Audience 8% like and critics 80%. Kinda like MB and MM are still the best pinball machines. Come on.

#1341 3 years ago

We just watched "Us".
I wasnt over the moon about Get Out, probably mostly because a friend recommended it, and then compared it to another movie I had seen, completely ruining it for me... the movie itself was well done, it just didnt really shock me since I had a pretty good idea about what I was watching.
Us on the other hand, I had no idea what to expect. The premise as portrayed in the trailers confused me. How are they going to explain this? The movie just never really answered important questions for me. It tried to address some of them, but that only made it worse.
I saw this movie has a 93 on rotten tomatoes. I really have no idea how. I give it 2 popcorns. It would be a 1 if it weren't at least well produced. But in my mind its still just a well produced horrible movie..

I thought Get Out was great, but Us was a big disappointment - the previews were pretty creepy but the movie itself wasn’t scary at all and the ending was just lame. Hard pass on that one.

#1342 3 years ago

I just watched Radius. It was pretty bad ass.

Don’t watch the trailer though. I think it gives too much away.

The plot synopsis is “A man wakes up with no memory of who he is and finds that everyone who comes within a certain distance of him suddenly dies”

1 week later
#1343 3 years ago

We just watched "Us".
Us on the other hand, I had no idea what to expect. The premise as portrayed in the trailers confused me. How are they going to explain this? The movie just never really answered important questions for me. It tried to address some of them, but enjoy that only made it worse.

I did not enjoy "us". I did enjoy "get out".

There was something about it. There was an early point where the whole thing went south for me.

It was pretty and ambitious. But I would have made it more of a real bloodbath, myself...

2 weeks later
#1344 3 years ago

Bill and Ted face the music - Was it a fun movie that let me dip into the bill & ted world again? Yes.. Did they still have chemistry? Yes. Was it nice of them to include the original dad, the original missy, the original death? Yes. It felt a bit too much like the same journey with so much re-hashed, and there seemed to be a lot of continuity issues. There were some nice surprises I don't want to spoil. I was happy to pay $20 to watch the VOD. I give it a 7/10.

#1345 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Bill and Ted face the music

Didn't get far into that one. A simple 2 word review

Shit Sandwich.

Oh I also saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood" One word review

Shit

Man was it awful. That's ok. Star Trek 6 is on right now and its making me feel better

#1346 3 years ago

Incredible. I'm always a little reluctant to dedicate my night to a war movie. They're generally pretty draining, and always depressing. If I'm going to watch one, it had better be good. This one didn't disappoint.

10/10 popcorns. A perfect movie. Putting it together with a good sound system and a screen that can display HDR will really help. The cinematography was incredible, I could only discern maybe 2 or 3 cuts in the entire film.

If I use RD's 'phone check' count, I would have been at 0 if not for some history checks. It's worth getting some really broads stroke reminders on the conflict if your recollection is spotty.

#1347 3 years ago

If I use RD's 'phone check' count, I would have been at 0

That’s always a great measure.

I’ve been working on my 100 year old house project since January, so my weekly movie theatre visits have gone down the toilet.

There’s a couple I want to see, so I might get along in the next few weeks.

Me and a few mates still catch up once a month to watch Z grade movies in my buddies basement. That’s always good for some LOLs.

I have a new candidate for the worst movie ever made - THE BED THAT EATS.

It’s just 100% shithouse! Its got some good backstory around it, but the movie - holy shit it’s bad. B. A. D!

We watched CRANK last week - that’s a great B movie. 9 popcorns. Non stop from start to finish.

And we also watched The Head Of The Family - that was really bad, but saved by the sexy co-star who we discovered also did pornos. 10/10 for her - 2/10 for the shitty movie. Lolllll

rd

7 months later
#1348 2 years ago

10 outta 10 pops

Just watched Tenet via HBO Max. Trippy time travel movie from Christopher Nolan. 8 outta 10 pops. Definitely worth a watch! I'll scarf down anything made by Nolan.

3 months later
#1349 2 years ago

Back again with a Jordan Peele double feature Get Out and Us.

Get Out - 7/10, worth the $4 via Amazon Prime. Good plot, entertaining, not a conventional horror movie but will make your skin crawl a bit.

#1350 2 years ago

Get out was decent. Us? Awful.

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/27?hl=sixleggeddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.