2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,267 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 95 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CC126E57-941E-48FD-B645-0EBF90FA69CD (resized).jpeg
B523937B-F5E0-4A4F-8690-10CC892BF087 (resized).jpeg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
MV5BMjMxNjM3MjcyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTcwNTkzOTE@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,666,500_AL_ (resized).jpg
Frankenstein Legacy Collection (resized).jpg
roadhouse (resized).jpg
roadhousestill70 (resized).jpg
E6DA8C8F-666C-4E18-A774-A099FC327F28 (resized).jpeg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_103 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_102 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_078 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_055 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_054 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_030 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_033 (resized).jpg
Candid Monsters Volume 2 _Page_021 (resized).jpg

There are 1267 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.
#1201 4 months ago

Went and saw Overlord. Awesome Nazi zombie type movie set in WW2.Loved it.

#1202 4 months ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Went and saw Overlord. Awesome Nazi zombie type movie set in WW2.Loved it.

Funny you should mention that ...

Overlord

When I saw the preview for this a month ago, initially I thought “castle wolfenstein movie!” And that was pretty much what it was.

Haven’t seen a movie like this for a while. Sorta a B movie but with some much better production values.

D-Day paratroopers set out to blow up a German radio tower at a church in the middle of France - but there’s more going on down in the basement ...

If this sort of thing is up your alleyway, check it out.

7.5 popcorns.

rd

#1203 4 months ago

Saw Girl In the Spiders Web. Good movie. I thought Dragon Tattoo was better (and the girl was better), but this one upped the action quite a bit! Good adult action thriller!

#1204 4 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Saw Girl In the Spiders Web. Good movie. I thought Dragon Tattoo was better (and the girl was better), but this one upped the action quite a bit! Good adult action thriller!

Haven’t seen it as yet ... but what worries me about that movie, having seen the previews ..

In the 3 Swedish movies (excellent movies, watch them if you can) and the US remake of the first one, Lisbeth was a normal person, who could do some hacking.

Now, in this new movie she’s James Bond Mk2, or a Batman type superhero. Which sort of misses the point of the first 3 movies IMO.

I’ll still go watch it at some stage ...

rd

#1205 4 months ago

I watched the trailers for alita battle angel about 4 times. Im not a manga guy but fuck me it looks great!

1 week later
#1206 3 months ago

Holy Crap! Just saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Schwantzinheimer (or whatever the hell it's called)! Let me tell ya....don't take young children to see it. They will NOT sit still! AND...don't go tired! You will be asleep! 25% action and some cool shit....75% boring talk. My wife, who is a fan, almost fell asleep!
Sorry....but this one was not for me!

#1207 3 months ago

I find most of that world pretty dull. I never got into the books. I know it takes place in the Harry Potter universe, but where and when? I get the impression it's prior to Harry Potter, and possibly based in the US?

#1208 3 months ago

Widows

4 gangsters get killed in a heist gone wrong, leaving their widows saddled with their debts - the ladies decide to complete the husbands next planned job for a haul of five meeeeeellllionnnn dolllaaaaarssss.

This one seems to be quite hyped up by the critics - the reviews I saw before I saw it were glowing.

However it seemed a bit incoherent to me. The director tried to make something that was much deeper than maybe it should have been, and didn’t quite pull it off imo.

The “twist” at the end could have been done better, it could have had way more impact if it was dropped suddenly rather than announcing it before hand. Watch it and you’ll see what I mean.

And just quietly - if you had your share of $5m - the last thing I’d be doing is going and reopening my shitty dress up costume store. Lol!

Not horrible ... but not fantastic. 6 popcorns.

#1209 3 months ago

American Gangster

11 years late to the party with this one.

You know how it goes - I’ll get to the movies to see it - oh shit, it’s finished - ok, I’ll rent the DVD - oh, it’s out - I’ll get it next time - what movie was that again? - oh, have you seen the new ____? - etc etc

So anyway, finally watched it.

Starts off really slow, but sucks you into the story of Frank Lucas. It wasn’t till towards the middle that I clicked that it was based on a real story, I’ve watched some documentaries on him and how they imported drugs in coffins from Vietnam during the war, and all the currupt cops back in the 70s.

Really good tale, up there with some of the other classic gangster movies out there.

8.5 popcorns for me.

rd

#1210 3 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You know how it goes - I’ll get to the movies to see it - oh shit, it’s finished - ok, I’ll rent the DVD - oh, it’s out - I’ll get it next time - what movie was that again? - oh, have you seen the new ___? - etc etc

I know how it goes, but I usually end up watching movies I had never considered watching before because they happen to come on some HBO or other channel that I am currently getting for free.

Case in point, I took in The People Vs. Larry Flynt the other night and it was pretty entertaining.

Another was "Captain Fantastic" from 2016 that had nothing to do with Elton John or the pinball game, but was a great story with Vigo Mortensen raising his children out in the wild until his wife dies and they have to take a road trip to attend her funeral and make things right.

Very entertaining, and well done. 8 popcorns

MV5BMjMxNjM3MjcyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTcwNTkzOTE@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,666,500_AL_ (resized).jpg

#1211 3 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Starts off really slow, but sucks you into the story of Frank Lucas. It wasn’t till towards the middle that I clicked that it was based on a real story, I’ve watched some documentaries on him and how they imported drugs in coffins from Vietnam during the war, and all the currupt cops back in the 70s.

"Whadda gunna do Frank? You gunna shoot me in front of everybody?

#1212 3 months ago

Watched a movie called Upgrade with my son the other day, I dont know why I watched it cause I didnt reconize any of the actors in the movie but the previews looked good, If you like science fiction you might like it, basicly a guy and his wife go on a road trip and get mugged after an accident in there car, his wife gets killed and he ends up paralyzed. Some wierd scientist offers an implant in his back that pretty much resembles an IC chip from a pinball mpu circuit board that is supposed to able him to walk again. He gets no help from the police to find his wifes killers so he start investigating on his own, then learns his new implant that helps him walk gives him super human powers. I give it 7 popcorns (would have gave it an 8 ) loved the movie till the very end, I give the writers credit for the plot twist but was a bit disappointed in the final outcome. Its still worth a watch, the movie had some really cool fight scenes.

#1213 3 months ago

Anyone see the Cube trilogy? Any good?

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
#1214 3 months ago

I must be sick....

Bunny gets the pannnnncaaaaake

#1215 3 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Anyone see the Cube trilogy? Any good?

Cube 1 is good. The others are worth a watch.

#1216 3 months ago

The classics keep on coming on Showtime and HBO. No wonder I don't pay for that service.

Last night it was "Sphere" from the 90s. It came on at a time I had nothing better to do. I think I took a short nap halfway thru it.

5 popcornies.

#1217 3 months ago

I remember when Sphere was on KTLA some years back. I'd never had seen it, so i started watching it. Watched it all the way through. Why?
It was such a train wreck that I just couldn't look away.

Sad that Michael Crichton is connected in any way with this movie. I've never read the book, but I'm worried it might be like the movie.

#1218 3 months ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I remember when Sphere was on KTLA some years back. I'd never had seen it, so i started watching it. Watched it all the way through. Why?
It was such a train wreck that I just couldn't look away.

When it first started I was so hyped up I was about to start a Dustin Hoffman Vs. Al Pacino thread. By the time it ended, I was over that and ready to hit the bottle again.

1 week later
#1219 3 months ago

A couple of Netflix watches last night...

Long Shot - 9/10 popcorns

This is a very concise legal documentary. Being only 40 minutes long, there's no reason not to watch it. The less you know going in the better. I love that they didn't try to increase the runtime on this. I have a lot of love for the ability to tell a complete story while respecting the viewer's time.

Cartel Land - 7/10 popcorns

This explores the cartel from both sides of the US/Mexico border. It highlights what people do when they feel their respective governments fail to do what's necessary to provide protection. It also shows how inherently difficult it is to fight corruption.

Contrary to the statements I made above, I didn't feel like this one provided all of the information necessary. The jumps to both sides of the border felt like 2 different stories, and never really came together in the way I expected. It was still an interesting watch overall.

2 weeks later
#1220 82 days ago

The Mule

Clint Eastwood is pretty darn cool. This movie is a likeable enough tale of an old divorcee, down on his luck who (somewhat surprisingly) starts running drugs for highly armed Mexican gangsters.

Evidently based on a real tale, this movie is solid enough without being stunning, and delves into the Hallmark channel a bit at times.

But not too bad.

6.5 popcorns

Talking of popcorns, it’s pretty funny that this was the smallest popcorn/coke combo I could get in the AMC in Las Vegas. $14. Enough for a whole family! I said to the lady, can I get a smaller one? Yeah, you can get a smaller popcorn and a slightly smaller drink. How much is that? “$18”. Lol

rd

B523937B-F5E0-4A4F-8690-10CC892BF087 (resized).jpeg
#1221 80 days ago

Watched a couple of sci-fi's over Christmas time...

The Endless... This one got really high ratings, but I'd say it's over-rated. After 10-years away from an off-the-grid-type cult, 2 middle-aged guys tire of the grind of their humdrum life and decide to visit their friends back at the cult. Will they discover the mystery of the cult? Is it really a UFO suicide cult? Is something paranormal going on? Will they escape?

If you need the answers to those questions, you need to watch this film! For me, I didn't need to, but the high ratings lured me in. At least the suspense was kind of fun, but some odd inconsistencies are distracting.

6 popcorns

#1222 80 days ago

Bird Box

This sci-fi has an odd premise. Something is causing mass suicide, but it can't harm you if you don't see it. The solution? Blind folds! Is that enough to escape? Can our protagonists get to a rumored safe and unaffected community? You have to watch to find out. While there's some entertaining suspense, too many questions are left unanswered, and there's little surprise about the community.

6 kernels, this movie never really popped.

#1223 80 days ago

Aquaman
Certainly enough cool CGI to look at...almost overkill....

#1224 79 days ago

GET OUT - Yes I know I'm late on this one, had it in my "wanting to watch queue" for a while. Really dug it, what an amazing first director job by Jordan peele. Characters are great, story was good.. I like that messed up horror where it's not just "boo!", or "i'm going to kill you".. But that slow burn of slowly unraveling what's really going on, and it's really messed up. I give it 9 out of 10 popcorns. His 2nd movie looks just as good:

#1225 79 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Of the charts popcorns for Zardoz!
It’ll blow your mind! Or something ...
rd

Ok, Netflix didn't have it but watched a preview on Redbox. Is this actually good or like gotta-be-drunk-then-it's-hilarious good?

#1226 79 days ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Ok, Netflix didn't have it but watched a preview on Redbox. Is this actually good or like gotta-be-drunk-then-it's-hilarious good?

Hmmmmmm

Probably the latter.

Top movie.

rd

3 weeks later
#1227 55 days ago

A few I've watched recently...

A Quiet Place - 6/10 popcorns

A pretty decent movie overall. The previews really took a lot of air out of this one's sails, unfortunately. It would have been better to know much less going into this one than what's made available in trailers.

This one is tense, and had me pretty stressed throughout. I imagine that's the goal, but not something I particularly enjoy.

Birdbox - 2/10 popcorns

Lots of buzz around this one right now, and thematically pretty similar to the aforementioned A Quiet Place. This tries hard to replicate the formula that A Quiet Place lays, but falls flat in characters. I don't like Sandra Bullock nearly as much as others, so this one never really got off the ground for me. I felt like this one really gave up on a few tough decisions that could have helped this movie say something about anything at all. In the end it felt like a mashup between a SyFy channel movie, and a Lifetime movie.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 4/10 popcorns

This is what happens when Jurassic Park meets Fast and Furious, I suppose. They've completely given up on the world that Michael Crighton masterfully crafted in the original movie, and it's now just an all-out action flick. That's fine, I suppose, but don't try to make it more with the political messages or whatever. I'm pretty disappointed overall, I was hoping this franchise could have been something more than just a mindless dinosaur romp.

Bladerunner 2049 - 8/10 popcorns

I finally saw it! I'd been waiting for my wife to watch the original before diving into this one. She never did. I finally just gave up and we watched this one together. I enjoyed it. It matches the tone and feel of the original, which is an accomplishment in itself. The story meanders into something that ultimately fails to completely satisfy, though. Once everything comes together, the stakes suddenly feel very low. The A/V experience was very satisfying, and my modest theater room feel like a necessity to enjoy all that went into the production.

#1228 55 days ago

Glass! Oy! Last M.Night Shamalamadingdong film I will ever watch! WHY they keep giving him money is anyones guess. Everything you need to see is in the trailer!

#1229 55 days ago

I was so mad when I watched Split. It was recommended to me, and I never saw the first movie that it was a surprise sequel to. It was a bad attempt to make a "universe" out of a movie that no one really cares about.

#1230 54 days ago

Unbreakable wasn't TOO bad and I thought because Bruce was in it maybe it might be ok....I was wrong....

#1231 54 days ago

Vice

Went to this in Hollywood last week.

Political movies can go either way - generally they’re boring and the critics “hysterical” isn’t even a giggle to most normal people. Death of Stalin was a great example of that. What a shit movie that was. Imo.

This one though - very good. Bale is great, Steve Carrell keeps going from strength to strength acting wise, and Sam Rockwell is awesome as Bush Jr.

Some people say the movie comes at it from one side - but they would, cause they’re on the other side. If you put all that shit aside, it’s a good movie. Maybe a tad long, but I didn’t gaze at the phone for the whole movie.

I’d go 8 popcorns. Hell, 8.5. Why not. Enjoyed it.

rd

1 week later
#1232 46 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Vice
Went to this in Hollywood last week.
Political movies can go either way - generally they’re boring and the critics “hysterical” isn’t even a giggle to most normal people. Death of Stalin was a great example of that. What a shit movie that was. Imo.
This one though - very good. Bale is great, Steve Carrell keeps going from strength to strength acting wise, and Sam Rockwell is awesome as Bush Jr.
Some people say the movie comes at it from one side - but they would, cause they’re on the other side. If you put all that shit aside, it’s a good movie. Maybe a tad long, but I didn’t gaze at the phone for the whole movie.
I’d go 8 popcorns. Hell, 8.5. Why not. Enjoyed it.
rd

Someone didn’t like my review. Loll

Clearly they didn’t get the memo that anyone can review a movie as they see it (as per the first post in the thread) Feel free to post your own review if you feel differently.

One mans poison is another mans cure etc etc.

Hopefully he’ll love this one!

GLASS

The continuation of Unbreakable and Split, both cool movies.

To be frank, this one was boring as hell. Just uninspired. Started ok ... then ... blah. If I’d had a mattress in the cinema I probably would have gone to sleep.

3 popcorns.

rd

#1233 46 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Someone didn’t like my review. Loll
Clearly they didn’t get the memo that anyone can review a movie as they see it (as per the first post in the thread) Feel free to post your own review if you feel differently.
One mans poison is another mans cure etc etc.
Hopefully he’ll love this one!
GLASS
The continuation of Unbreakable and Split, both cool movies.
To be frank, this one was boring as hell. Just uninspired. Started ok ... then ... blah. If I’d had a mattress in the cinema I probably would have gone to sleep.
3 popcorns.
rd

"Glass" was so bad I almost left the theatre before it was over.Just stupid.

#1234 46 days ago

Glass pissed me off so bad. Really thought m night may make another decent movie in his life time........wrong.

#1235 46 days ago

See Post #1228! I tried to warn yas!!

1 week later
#1236 34 days ago

Cold Pursuit

Liam Neeson is like the AC/DC of movie stars - much of his output is much the same.

This movie is a little different. It’s a remake of a Danish film called Kraftidioten - the same director directs this remake for the American market.

I’m all about the niche Scandinavian movie - love me some subtitles ... original Dragon Tattoo x 3, Headhunters, Jackpot ... but I hadn’t heard of Kraftidioten. Can’t even get it at the library. So hard to compare the two ...

Neeson still plays the “kill everyone” guy, but the movie has some dry humour to it. Not LOL funny by any stretch, but it has its moments.

Not the worlds best movie, but ok.

6.5 popcorns.

rd

#1237 34 days ago

Bad Times at the El Royale

Missed this at the cinema - caught it on the flight back to NZ.

Thought it looked stylish and cool in the previews. And a lot of it was. But ultimately it let me down somewhere along the way, it didn’t really live up to its potential IMO.

Starts off promisingly, but sort of runs out of puff towards the 2/3rds point, and it joins the ranks of Tarantino wannabe movies.

Report card: could have done better.

5 popcorns.

rd

#1238 33 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Liam Neeson is like the AC/DC of movie stars - much of his output is much the same.

Yeah....the movie was ok, but I like it better when he has "a special set of skills" rather than just a guy killing people....

#1239 33 days ago

Following up on Scandinavian stuff - even though this is the movies thread, I want to recommend a Danish/Swedish TV series called “the bridge”. Or Bron-Broen back in Denmark/Sweden.

Really good series - each series follows one story all the way through. The first one has a body found on “the bridge” between Copenhagen and Malmo, which is joint jurisdiction of Denmark and Sweden. Enter Saga, a female detective from Sweden who has some form of autism, and her Denmark male counterparts.

The series has been shown in over 100 countries.

You can get it on DVD, or it’s on the web if you want to search for it. Make sure to get the BBC version with the English subtitles.

One of the better TV series I can recall. Keeps you going right to the last episode of each series.

rd

CC126E57-941E-48FD-B645-0EBF90FA69CD (resized).jpeg
#1240 33 days ago

[Note: spoiler below]

A Star is Born almost made me like Lady Gaga. Bradley Cooper dies.

1 week later
#1241 24 days ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

[Note: spoiler below]
A Star is Born almost made me like Lady Gaga. Bradley Cooper dies.

Ooooooooh lots of thumbs down. Just his opinion guys!

I watched it on DVD the other day. I thought it was a solid movie! Reminded me of the older 70s movies in the way it was paced. Maybe a throwback to the original movie from the 70s, but I haven’t seen that so I don’t know.

I thought Gaga (you can use your real name now ..) was very good, considering it was her first movie.

Couple of things that made me roll my eyes though - she sang her original song in the carpark, the next night she’s on stage singing a fully fleshed out version with his band - when did that happen? How’d they know the words? How’d she know the arrangement? As an ex musician that wasn’t very realistic.

And when her career started, she went all pop music and the husband (who was a respected musican and star) seemed to have no input at all. Again, probably not what would happen. But hey, it’s a movie ...

Maybe more of a chick flick but I enjoyed it for the music aspect of the movie. And I thought the acting was good.

I’d go 7 popcorns. Fiona was 7.5 popcorns.

That’s like, my opinion man!

rd

#1242 24 days ago

Watched Fight Club last night - haven’t seen it for years but Fiona got me the deluxe DVD from a goodwill for $1 lol

Man, what a great movie. Lots of stuff I’d forgotten in the years since I’ve seen it.

Definitely somewhere on my personal top ten list.

rd

#1243 24 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I watched it on DVD the other day. I thought it was a solid movie! Reminded me of the older 70s movies in the way it was paced. Maybe a throwback to the original movie from the 70s, but I haven’t seen that so I don’t know.
I thought Gaga (you can use your real name now ..) was very good, considering it was her first movie.
Couple of things that made me roll my eyes though - she sang her original song in the carpark, the next night she’s on stage singing a fully fleshed out version with his band - when did that happen? How’d they know the words? How’d she know the arrangement? As an ex musician that wasn’t very realistic.
And when her career started, she went all pop music and the husband (who was a respected musican and star) seemed to have no input at all. Again, probably not what would happen. But hey, it’s a movie ...
Maybe more of a chick flick but I enjoyed it for the music aspect of the movie. And I thought the acting was good.
rd

Thumbs down had nothing to do with his opinion, just the blatant spoiler.

#1244 24 days ago

Someone give me their opinion of serenity.

#1245 24 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I think the thumbs down was for the spoiler more than anything. Who gives a shit about thumbs down anyway?

This film was a hard watch for me and Michelle. Bit too close to home for us. Had me in tears a couple times.

Great debut from Bradley Cooper though. He’s got talent.

#1246 24 days ago

Hereditary has one of the most gripping scenes I think I've ever seen. Pretty brilliant horror/suspense movie. 4 star acting, creepy story. Stuck with me for a few days. 3.5 Jackpots!

#1247 24 days ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Thumbs down had nothing to do with his opinion, just the blatant spoiler.

Oh, I see. In that case ....

rd

#1248 23 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oh, I see. In that case ....
rd

Hah, yeah I expected the thumbs down. Although in fairness the movie has been around in one form or another since 1937. Can it really be considered a spoiler 80 years later?

You’re review said perfectly what I was thinking. I agree with your praise and criticisms. I like actress Gaga better than meat dress Gaga. Cooper was fantastic!

#1249 23 days ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

You’re review said perfectly what I was thinking. I agree with your praise and criticisms. I like actress Gaga better than meat dress Gaga. Cooper was fantastic!

I don’t really know much about Gaga - I know the meat dress - but I do know she likes the Metal music so that’s cool with me.

Obviously a talented person - unlike the majority of pop “singers” who are just pretty faces groomed to sell product.

rd

#1250 23 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Watched Fight Club last night - haven’t seen it for years but Fiona got me the deluxe DVD from a goodwill for $1 lol
Man, what a great movie. Lots of stuff I’d forgotten in the years since I’ve seen it.
Definitely somewhere on my personal top ten list.
rd

That was literally the first DVD I ever bought!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.99
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 40.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
There are 1267 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside