A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 32.
#901 6 years ago

Dealt

Biography of one of the greatest card mechanics/magicians.

10/10

1 week later
#902 6 years ago

Jumanji:
Creative elements a big plus.
Acting was nice. It gets the normal 5-8.
Go see it. Takes your attention off the fake news.
(Disclaimer for Jayhawkai and Schwarz: Don't harsh all over.
Go make your own review)

#903 6 years ago

I enjoyed Jumanji
Solid 8 for me

#904 6 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

I just watched "Jim & Andy The Great Beyond" it is a documentary of the movie, "Man on the Moon" where Jim Carrey portrayed Andy Kaufman. Interspersed with current interview segments with Jim. It really have a great insight into how far her delved into Kaufman's persona and how the role affected him.
If you were a fan of the movie, it would be 9/10, but dramatically less if you didn't like/see the Man on the Moon.

Thanks for the tip...just watched it the other night...great documentary! 9/10! Talk about method acting!

I also watched "IT". Not a big "horror" fan in general but this was pretty well done. Good story and some great child actors in this one - 7.5/10

#905 6 years ago

So...three films I have to catch.....The Post, All the Money In the World and Molly's Game.....

#906 6 years ago

Battle of the Sexes

Missed it in the cinemas, so I just watched it on the plane.

Emma Stone stars as Billy Jean King, who was challenged to a match by former male grand slam winner, and self confessed male chouvenist Bobby Riggs (played by Steve Carell) in 1973.

The match was big news worldwide, and shown live on ABC.

The film also covers the start of the WTA and also BJKs first female love affair (she was married at the time)

Really good movie, well worth a watch.

8 Popcorns.

rd

#907 6 years ago

PATTY CAKE$

Independent film from 2017. It tells a often told underdog story, about a couple of kids trying to break out of New Jersey via music.

Patty is an overweight 23 year old white female rapper, and her accomplice is a skinny Indian guy who works in a pharmacy. So a couple of more unlikely rappers you’re unlikely to see. Patty’s mother is herself a failed musician, so she doesn’t offer up much encouragement.

Like I said, you’ve seen this story before, but it’s told here with some charm. If you’re looking for beautiful people playing the roles, you’re best to look elsewhere, but if you like an underdog tale (albeit with some plot holes .. like how did the “Antichrist”, who lived in this abandoned house in the woods, have all this quality production gear, let alone power to run it) but like a lot of independent movies, you tend to look past this stuff and take it at face value.

I’d go 7 Popcorns.

rd

#908 6 years ago

For school age kids you can try out my film, Destination Fame.

#909 6 years ago

The Flight of the Phoenix. An incredible survival story..

#910 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Flight of the Phoenix. An incredible survival story..

I hope you're talking about the original and not the 2004 remake.

#911 6 years ago

I didn't even know they remade that one. Original for sure. Watched it the other night. Classic!

#912 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't even know they remade that one. Original for sure. Watched it the other night. Classic!

Yup. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/

#913 6 years ago

The Post - It's entertaining and a bit edgy. It's cool the watch the thought process of newspaper men of that time. Tom Hanks did a good job, but I think another actor would been a better choice for Ben Bradlee. Jason Robards played a great Ben Bradlee in All the Presidents men.
6.5 popcorns

#914 6 years ago

Lego Batman Movie - 9/10 popcorns! - I went into it thinking, this could be bad, or awesome. Well, as my family all agreed, it was the best Batman movie of all the Batman movies. Hands down. The writing on this was great, it lampooned the other Batman fils, yet beat them all at their own game. That and they made fun of other DC films as well - "What am I gonna do, get a bunch of criminals together to fight the criminals? That's a stupid idea." LOL

Great film, a must see!

#915 6 years ago

The Last Jedi

Late to the party here, hey, I've been travelling!

First up - I'm not a Star Wars guy. I've seen all the movies, and have enjoyed most of them, but I've never bought the merch or kissed George Lucas' hand. Or ass.

I enjoyed the last two ... Force Awakens and Rogue One (yeah I know its not a SW movie .. ) They were fun enough.

But whats up with this one?

I'd heard all the fanboy bitching. I put it down to .... fanboy bitching.

But really, they were right. This isn't really very good.

You don't really root for the good guys. You don't really root against the bad guys. It's all "ahhhh whatever..." None of the new characters have any X factor.

And did you notice - there was one character from every ethnicity there. Presumably to appeal to their home market. Hmmmm ...

By about 1/3 way through, it was "check the phone time" which is an instant sign that the movie had lost my attention.

While the original SW movies were adored by children, they didn't pander to them. This movie seems to. Like the way after every plot development, a character says exactly what just happened. That started from the very beginning.

Yoda appeared ... and sounded like me doing my bad Yoda impersonation.

Anyway, thats about it. I just found it all a bit hum drum, and pretty boring if I'm being honest.

3 popcorns.

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Rogue One (yeah I know its not a SW movie .. )

Rogue One is most certainly a SW movie.

Quoted from rotordave:

And did you notice - there was one character from every ethnicity there. Presumably to appeal to their home market. Hmmmm ...

Not to mention that Disney is really pushing the "powerful women" characters...way too hard. I have nothing against strong female characters...in fact I prefer them. But Disney is pushing so hard that it's a total fail. Ray is ridiculously talented with seemingly no real weaknesses and Laura Dern's character was a complete buffoon. One bad decision after another.

Quoted from rotordave:

While the original SW movies were adored by children, they didn't pander to them.

100% agreed. Of course episodes 1-3 fail in this regard even worse...especially 1&2.

#917 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Rogue One is most certainly a SW movie.

No argument from me ... I meant “not part of the series” .. they even marketed it as “Rogue One .. a Star Wars Story” to tell everyone that it wasn’t the next in the series.

It’s not even in most of the lists I looked up to find out the name of the Force Awakens which I had forgotten ... old age will do that.

rd

#918 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

While the original SW movies were adored by children, they didn't pander to them.

Well put.

#919 6 years ago

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Slow burning Arthouse type flick.

Probably not everyone’s cup of tea. Some great performances by the main actors, although Abbie Cornish’s Aussie accent seems strangely out of place slap bang in the middle of middle America.

Worth a watch for the acting alone.

7 Popcorns.

rd

#920 6 years ago

Split - 2/10 popcorns

Had I known what this was, I wouldn't have wasted my time. Unless you're a dedicated fan of m. night's previous movies, there's 0 reason to watch this in my opinion.

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Split - 2/10 popcorns
Had I known what this was, I wouldn't have wasted my time. Unless you're a dedicated fan of m. night's previous movies, there's 0 reason to watch this in my opinion.

Who keeps giving this idiot work? I HATE his movies...they are so predictable and feel like they were written by a 10 year old. Yes he had ONE big hit (The sixth sense)...but that was it...I guess "Unbreakable" was "watchable"...but the rest...HORRIBLE.

I think (given the budget) that "The Happening" is the worst movie ever made (again...given its budget and "star power"). The worst!

M. Knight rant over.

#922 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Who keeps giving this idiot work? I HATE his movies...they are so predictable and feel like they were written by a 10 year old. Yes he had ONE big hit (The sixth sense)...but that was it...I guess "Unbreakable" was "watchable"...but the rest...HORRIBLE.
I think (given the budget) that "The Happening" is the worst movie ever made (again...given its budget and "star power"). The worst!
M. Knight rant over.

I don't know.I thought "Signs" was pretty good.

#923 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I don't know.I thought "Signs" was pretty good.

OMG...worst ending of all time.

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think (given the budget) that "The Happening" is the worst movie ever made (again...given its budget and "star power"). The worst

Not to mention that one with the water. Uh a doosie. Signs was okay. Not a great ending. Um the aliens have the technology to travel here and cloak their ships but they don't have h2o filters? Eh... : thinking:

#925 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I thought "Signs" was pretty good.

Signs was a movie about faith and religion. It had a few good creepy moments(the roof, the leg in the corn field and the hand in the coal chute come to mind), but if you aren't digging the "god kills Mel's wife and stages the dumbest alien invasion ever to get Mel to be a priest again" plot, it falls apart quickly. The acting was good, but it couldn't save the movie for me.

#926 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

but if you aren't digging the "god kills Mel's wife and stages the dumbest alien invasion ever to get Mel to be a priest again" plot,

I'm having a hard time thinking of a worse plot.........oh yeah "The Happening".

#927 6 years ago

Didn't he also do a big budget Chinese action film or something? Also shite!
What I find is the more control he has over the movie, the worse it is.....

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a worse plot.........oh yeah "The Happening".

Which did you find more unbelievable?
1) Shrubbery is murdering society
2) Marky Mark is a professor of anything

#929 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Didn't he also do a big budget Chinese action film or something? Also shite!
What I find is the more control he has over the movie, the worse it is.....

Avatar - The Last Airbender should have been great but thanks to M Night it has a 6% rotten tomatoes score. The village wasn't bad but it would have been better if it was his first film, not a mid-career film. M Night & JJ Abrams are on my "Do Not Pay Money For Movie" list.

Cloverfield Paradox - 2 popcorns. It's free with Netflix. It's definitely boring. Good luck - Skip if you don't like Cloverfield movies. Skip if you don't want to ruin the Cloverfield series.

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Cloverfield Paradox - 2 popcorns. It's free with Netflix. It's definitely boring. Good luck - Skip if you don't like Cloverfield movies. Skip if you don't want to ruin the Cloverfield series.

Ah bummer. It didn't look all that appealing to me. I was compelled by the cloverfield movies for some reason and watched them both recently. I'd give them each 4 popcorns. Entertaining enough in a weird niche sort of way, but I definitely wouldn't consider either to be good movies. I was hopeful that the new one would make things come together a little, but it doesn't sound like it does.

#931 6 years ago

Gone Baby, Gone. 7 popcorns.

The second least-talented Affleck brother stars in this one. I liked it, but there's a stretch that seemed a little choppy. It offers a look into some of the darker parts about humanity, and encourages you to consider some ethical issues concerning them.

#932 6 years ago

Girl On A Train....or whatever it was called....I fell asleep!

#933 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Girl On A Train....or whatever it was called....I fell asleep!

Watched that on a plane and fell asleep.

#934 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Which did you find more unbelievable?
1) Shrubbery is murdering society
2) Marky Mark is a professor of anything

It's a VERY close call but I have to go with the shubbery. Marky Mark is not a great actor...but he's also 100x better than what he did in "The Happening"...so I blame the DIRECTOR.

#935 6 years ago

Tangerine

I saw this again last night. I thought I’d reviewed it before, maybe it was in that old thread.

Tangerine is an independent movie made for $100k in Los Angeles. It follows two transgenders on a crazy day around West Hollywood, with pimps, Armenian taxi drivers who “looooove the Cock”, and donut shops.

The whole movie was filmed on IPhone 5s phones, which, when you see the movie, is quite amazing. You’d never know.

This movie certainly isn’t for everyone ... but if you like weird, quirky indie movies, give it a look.

7.5 Popcorns.

rd

#936 6 years ago

Last night we watched "A Monster Calls." It was a good film and we all enjoyed it, just be prepared, it is a solid kick in "the feels." I don't want to give anything else away, so I won't give any more of the plot away.

I would give it 6 out of 10 popcorns.

#937 6 years ago

I really liked split and can't wait for the next movie in that series. Also thought that cloverfield paradox was a fun movie and was interesting to see how it all started.

#938 6 years ago

Hostiles:
More thought provoking than entertaining.
Excellent character studies by all cast members.
If you're looking for "meaning" or "message" from a movie, this is it.
Slow, plodding progression well done, comes out more as "deliberate".
Duty, shock and horror of loss, a gritty take on Westward expansion in US,
prejudice by everyone, it's all there.
A good story well presented. Maybe not for everyone, but how many movies are?

#939 6 years ago

I'll have a review of Black Panther tomorrow....

#940 6 years ago

Please keep the BP review spoiler free. Very much looking forward to seeing it this weekend...

Later,
EV

#941 6 years ago

Will do! I won't mention he dies at the end!

#942 6 years ago

Hostiles 1/2 a bag of popcorn. Slow and plodding gives it way too much credit. Go one afternoon if you want a nice nap

Maze Runner. 8 1/2 bags for me

Btw, Absentsia on Amazon Prime gets 9 1/2 bags baby! Wow, it’s awesome suspense. You’ll never figure it out until last episode

#943 6 years ago

Was going to see Maze runner, but, for principal, if a film was supposed to come out in 3D and doesn't...I skip it and wait for cable.

#944 6 years ago

I've always liked movies and enjoy having a home theater setup at home for friends and family...even if it takes up precious pinball space, lol. An uncle of mine that I was close with was really into movies, specifically foreign films. He had amassed a good sized Criterion DVD collection over the years. Sadly my uncle unexpectedly passed away a couple years ago. His wife and daughter wanted me to have his Criterion film collection. I've watched a handful of them so far and most if not all are really good. I remember my uncle often pausing a foreign film to explain something to me when we would have a movie night. Each Criterion DVD / Bluray comes with a booklet with insight about the film so my rule now is if I watch one of his movies I read the booklet afterwards

I started purchasing a few Criterion Blurays to expand the collection. I recently picked up the "Lone Wolf and Cub" trilogy and the Lady Snowblood collection. If you are a fan of samurai films you will really like these. Lady Snowblood ended up being Quentin Tarantino's inspiration for his Kill Bill movies.

DSC01320 (resized).JPGDSC01320 (resized).JPG
DSC01326 (resized).JPGDSC01326 (resized).JPG
DSC01324 (resized).JPGDSC01324 (resized).JPG
DSC01323 (resized).JPGDSC01323 (resized).JPG
DSC01322 (resized).JPGDSC01322 (resized).JPG
DSC01321 (resized).JPGDSC01321 (resized).JPG
DSC01325 (resized).JPGDSC01325 (resized).JPG

#945 6 years ago

Wow! Nice collection! Watch the foreign version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. He probably has it!

#946 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wow! Nice collection! Watch the foreign version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. He probably has it!

Thanks. Haha, he actually did! Not sure where that one ended up at. I remember us talking about it though, I like both versions but prefer the Swedish version.

#947 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks. Haha, he actually did! Not sure where that one ended up at. I remember us talking about it though, I like both versions but prefer the Swedish version.

The Swedish trilogy are awesome.

Maybe a long shot, but see if there’s the Norwegian Jo Nesbo movies, Jackpot and Headhunters. Both really good.

rd

#948 6 years ago

I, Tonya.

If you didn’t know this story was true, you wouldn’t believe it. Great tale of white trash all trying hard to out-dumb each other.

Really well put together ... the narrative of the story is from recreated interviews of the 4 main characters, taken from real life ones. They show a little of those at the end.

I don’t know how they filmed/CGId the ice skating scenes, but they are visually stunning at times.

Cool soundtrack too ... extra points for being the second movie in a year to use The Chain.

Really enjoyed the movie. 8.5 Popcorns.

rd

#949 6 years ago

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - really cool visuals, decent storyline. Lots of VR and augmented reality. I like the setup in the beginning showing how our space station continues to evolve into a giant city, and becomes an intergalactic meeting place. It's from the producers of fifth element and shares some of the same vibe. I give it 9 popcorns.

#950 6 years ago

Lady Bird

The movie follows the lead character, Christine “Lady bird” MacPherson through her last year at high school, and her relationship with her mother.

That doesn’t really sound very fun, but the movie is entertaining enough. Some will find it boring and I can totally understand that. This is the sort of movie that the critics love, and expect it to win some awards.

Good performances from the cast, including Saoirse Ronan as the lead.

Maybe more of a chick flick to be honest.

Mrs RD - 8 Popcorns. Loved it.

RD - 6 Popcorns. Enjoyed it, probably wouldn’t watch a second time.

rd

There are 1,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/19?hl=wolv3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.