A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 32.
#851 6 years ago

Geostorm:
Intense action sequences
Terriffic computer aided graphics
Mild corny dialogue in a few spots
Fun twisty plot
Some segments even tug at the heart strings (A La "Armageddon")
Part of the acting was marginal but didn't detract much
It's fun, I'd strongly suggest seeing it.
Like to give it eight and a half popcorns to encourage your viewing pleasure

#852 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinpast:

Geostorm:
Intense action sequences
Fun twisty plot

IMDB - 5.9
RT - 11%
Metacritic - 21%

Yikes. No thanks.

#853 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinpast:

(A La "Armageddon")

I’m out.

#854 6 years ago

SuperFly (1972)

What airline in the world would show a retro movie like SuperFly, uncut in all its in PC glory? Why, Air New Zealand of course, the #1 airline in the world!

Watching this is a blast ... average acting, terrible editing, a script that goes nowhere, but the sweet Curtis Mayfield soundtrack and the cool 1970s vibe make it a cool watch. And what’s up with his car? Unreal!

Movie wise: 5 Popcorns
Coolness factor: 8 Popcorns

rd

3A367CAF-8848-4257-9757-E513F214E7A6 (resized).jpeg3A367CAF-8848-4257-9757-E513F214E7A6 (resized).jpeg

D233B9F1-D623-4048-A95B-13CFCF3C3A3D (resized).jpegD233B9F1-D623-4048-A95B-13CFCF3C3A3D (resized).jpeg

#855 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinpast:

Geostorm:
Intense action sequences
Fun twisty plot

Geo Storm?

1993_geo_storm_2dr-hatchback_gsi_fq_oem_1_500 (resized).jpg1993_geo_storm_2dr-hatchback_gsi_fq_oem_1_500 (resized).jpg

#856 6 years ago

6 Days

This is a NZ made movie, about the siege at the Iranian Embassy in London in 1980.

The film is shot almost documentary style ... just as things happened. I picked up the style of older UK TV programs such as The Professionals.

The “as it happened” style may make it a bit slow paced for mainstream audiences, but I felt the tension amped up nicely as the film came to its conclusion.

7.5 Popcorns for me.

rd

#857 6 years ago

Baby Driver

Heavily cliched, but also refreshingly stylized. The story itself is something you've seen a hundred times without much deviation, but the style that it's delivered is unique. The problem is that style is distracting at times, and also a bit inconsistent.

I liked it. It was a fun movie with some real good action.

8/10 popcorns

#858 6 years ago

Only The Brave

I expected a macho action movie about firefighters, like Backdraft or something.. I was pleasantly surprised, this movie had drama and real life issues. Good acting and the fire scenes were cool. 8 popcorns

Quoted from dtown:

We just couldn’t find the time to see it in the theaters. At almost three hours, I think I’ll just Blu-ray it and watch it at home.

Blade Runner - The 3D is worth watching at a theater.

#859 6 years ago

Is it me, or, are there just a shit load of 8 popcorn movies? Does this scale go from 5-8?

#860 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Is it me, or, are there just a shit load of 8 popcorn movies? Does this scale go from 5-8?

I try to avoid even seeing any movie that looks like it's less than a five (I have better things to do with my time). On the other end virtually no movie is a perfect 10...so yeah that kind of narrows the range.

#861 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I gave Sausage Party 3.

rd

#862 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

We apparently use the IMDB scale here.

#863 6 years ago

Thor Ragnarok

I enjoyed it. Kiwi director Taika Waititi injects his brand of humour into the Marvel franchise. If you’ve seen any other Taika films (Boy, What we do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) you’ll notice it straight away. He also dresses up as a large Rock Man and introduces Marvel fans to “Maori boy” talk.

I wonder how the traditional Marvel/Thor fan will view this movie. It’s a bit of a departure from the first two ...

Anyway, enjoyable way to spend two hours. 8 Popcorns.

rd

#864 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thor Ragnarok
I enjoyed it. Kiwi director Taika Waititi injects his brand of humour into the Marvel franchise. If you’ve seen any other Taika films (Boy, What we do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) you’ll notice it straight away. He also dresses up as a large Rock Man and introduces Marvel fans to “Maori boy” talk.
I wonder how the traditional Marvel/Thor fan will view this movie. It’s a bit of a departure from the first two ...
rd

I'm a Marvel Thor fan and I'm looking forward to this one. Probably see it early next week.

#865 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thor Ragnarok
rd

Saw it last night and I'll raise you 8.5 popcorns. Maybe nine.
It was pretty great. One of the best Marvel has done, imo.

#866 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thor Ragnarok
rd

We saw Thor today. Very entertaining, nice humor moments (Banner dressed as Stark constantly adjusting his pants was one) and the music was good too...done by Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo. I'd give it a solid 8...

#867 6 years ago

Saw Thor also .Funny as hell.Loved it.

#868 6 years ago

The first two Thor movies were disasters, this one can't be worse and looks to be better. Plus, I have thoughts about Cate Blanchett and a thing for witches.

#869 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

The first two Thor movies were disasters,

I really liked the first one. Even got better the more I saw it. The second one was okay.

#870 6 years ago

I saw three different movies over the weekend one was Thor Ragnarok I really enjoyed the movie one of my new favorite marvel movies I give it 9 out of 10 popcorns.

I also saw the dark tower it had it's cool moments but I feel like the movie was too short and left me wanting more I give it 4 out of 10 popcorns.

The other movie is saw was baby driver the soundtrack was good and it had a lot of funny and cool moments but towards the end I started to not like it I give it 5 out of 10 popcorns.

1 week later
#871 6 years ago

Murder on the Orient Express

3 Popcorns This movie is not fun. The ending is lackluster with little excitement. The production values are average with poor sound... yuck

#872 6 years ago

Atomic Blonde - I'm a sucker for Charlize Theron and she doesn't disappoint here. I also really loved the soundtrack in this one. Good flick...a solid 7+ popcorns. Probably good for a second viewing.

Also watched Ghost in the Shell. Wasn't expecting much but it was better than I expected. This one got panned by Rotten tomatoes (45%) but I enjoyed it. I tend to love Sci-fi though. 7 popcorns.

#873 6 years ago

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Never heard of this movie from 6 years ago, friend recommended it so we watched it. It was actually a fun movie.. 9 popcorns.

#874 6 years ago

From the thread title I thought someone wanted to make a movie about Pinside! Heaven forbid.

#875 6 years ago

I love Tucker and Dale. I heard they're rolling around a sequel.

#876 6 years ago

I finally saw Baby Driver. I really liked it even though it is tough to watch anything with Kevin Spacey in it now.

#877 6 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

From the thread title I thought someone wanted to make a movie about Pinside! Heaven forbid.

I want Micheal Bay to direct that movie.

1 week later
#878 6 years ago

Justice League

Dunno what it is about the DC movies ... they just can’t quite match what Marvel has done.

Wonder Woman was a welcome surprise ... probably because that was the most “Marvel” of all the DC movies.

In Justice League, WW is the shining light. She lights up the screen every time she appears.

I think JLeague tried to do too much .. there are 3x new characters, trying to introduce them all sorta doesn’t work IMO. Either information overload, or “who the hell is this?” The story seems overly convoluted ... and you can see the one liners coming about a minute before they do. And the CGI reaches Michael Bay overload at times.

I’ve said before, if you reach for your phone in the middle of the movie, that’s not a good sign. I made it to the part where Superman comes back from the dead and returns to the farmhouse with tired looking Amy Adams before I *had* to check my phone lol

It’s ok. But not great. Filled in 2 hours.

5 Popcorns.

rd

#879 6 years ago

what happened to monday - netflix original movie. Dystopian future world where the population peaks and food can't keep up, so they implement the "one child per family rule" in hopes this will help curb things. When that doesn't work, they implement a system where siblings are forbidden, and if someone should have more than one child they cryogenical freeze them until such a time the population problem can be solved. When a group of 7 identical twin girls are born, one doctor comes up with a plan to share the identity among all 7 of them, letting them have one day per week to go outside. I give it 8 popcorns.

#880 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Justice League
Dunno what it is about the DC movies ... they just can’t quite match what Marvel has done.
Wonder Woman was a welcome surprise ... probably because that was the most “Marvel” of all the DC movies.
In Justice League, WW is the shining light. She lights up the screen every time she appears.
I think JLeague tried to do too much .. there are 3x new characters, trying to introduce them all sorta doesn’t work IMO. Either information overload, or “who the hell is this?” The story seems overly convoluted ... and you can see the one liners coming about a minute before they do. And the CGI reaches Michael Bay overload at times.
I’ve said before, if you reach for your phone in the middle of the movie, that’s not a good sign. I made it to the part where Superman comes back from the dead and returns to the farmhouse with tired looking Amy Adams before I *had* to check my phone lol
It’s ok. But not great. Filled in 2 hours.
5 Popcorns.
rd

I agree with your review but would probably go 6 maaayybbe 7. I still found it entertaining even though the story was week. There were some good moments.

#881 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I agree with your review but would probably go 6 maaayybbe 7. I still found it entertaining even though the story was week. There were some good moments.

Yeahhhhh I was teetering on a 6 ...

But the “check the time” moment swayed me.

Plus the fact that old mate Navajas said we always rate things highly. So Justice League took one for the team. Lol

rd

2 weeks later
#882 6 years ago

About to watch episode 8 The Last Jedi!

#883 6 years ago

Saw The Disaster Artist on Sunday. Very good, James Franco's acting performance was impeccable, very much an academy award worthy.

The film itself was incredibly faithful to its subject matter, something that's not particularly common in "based on a true story" films. People who aren't particularly interested in Wiseau's story might have more of a 6/10 or 7/10 experience, still positive, but for those who are interested then I'd say this movie can easily hit 9/10 territory. There's no single element out of The Disaster Artist that will blow people away (outside of how accurately the actors play their respective characters), however it's very well polished all around in a way that should entertain any audience.

#884 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

About to watch episode 8 The Last Jedi!

Still letting it sink in. It's good but there are some iffy plot moments. Feel like it could have been even better. I was just expecting more from Luke and from Snoke.
7.5 popcorns.

#885 6 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Saw The Disaster Artist on Sunday. Very good, James Franco's acting performance was impeccable, very much an academy award worthy.

I'm not very familiar with the subject matter. Is it necessary to familiarize myself, or watch the room?

#886 6 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm not very familiar with the subject matter. Is it necessary to familiarize myself, or watch the room?

Nah, watching The Room isn't necessary. The Disaster Artist does a good job of bringing everyone up to speed, and although there might be a few jokes and things you'll miss out on, there's nothing that would prevent you from enjoying the film on its own.

#887 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Still letting it sink in. It's good but there are some iffy plot moments. Feel like it could have been even better. I was just expecting more from Luke and from Snoke.
7.5 popcorns.

I also saw The Last Jedi (weird for me to see two movies in one week because I usually only see a couple movies per year) and I thought it was good. It was reaaally long and during the first hour or so I was getting pretty tired of it. Things really picked up though, and it certainly had some strong moments.

I agree that 7.5 is a fair score and it probably could've been improved. The first half also kind of awkwardly clung on to the idea of having 'cute'/'funny' comic relief characters ala Jar Jar, which I wasn't a fan of.

I can't really talk about the things I enjoyed, since they're all closer to the end and in spoiler territory, so don't get me wrong there was a lot to like here too! Also the soundtrack was incredible as always.

#888 6 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Nah, watching The Room isn't necessary. The Disaster Artist does a good job of bringing everyone up to speed, and although there might be a few jokes and things you'll miss out on, there's nothing that would prevent you from enjoying the film on its own.

Cool, looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the review.

rd

#889 6 years ago

After further thought and discussion I'm reducing my rating on The Last Jedi to a flat 7 (fighting with myself about a 6.5). It's entertaining and that keeps it above 6 but their are weak plot and story lines that did stand out to me.

Added over 6 years ago: The more I think about what this movie could have been... the madder I get. Dropping it to a flat 6 it's getting into prequel territory.

#890 6 years ago

Sicario 2 trailer is out.

Looks pretty cool.

The scene in the first movie where they were crossing back over the Mexican border was one of the best movie scenes I’ve seen.

rd

2 weeks later
#891 6 years ago

Downsizing

Saw this today in Los Angeles. It’s the tale of how Norwegian scientists came up with a miniaturisation drug, and how they planned to shrink everyone down to 5” high to save the planet. There are tiny little estates where they all live, and their “full size” dollars are worth heaps more, because little stuff is a lot cheaper than big stuff!

I really liked it. I saw it has some shitty reviews, I don’t know why. Some said that Matt Damon’s character is boring ... that’s the whole idea! He’s a struggling middle class schloob from Omaha, looking for a way out.

The movie Is quite thought provoking ... like how even though you’ve changed to 5” tall, the class system still exists.

Well worth seeing in my books.

8 RD Popcorns.

rd

#892 6 years ago

No one has seen or cares to comment on The Greatest Showman? I saw it and was very disappointed when I saw it was going to be a musical but it turned out to be an amazing movie. We loved it. I would give it a 9.
Its a shame that the circus is no more. I would love to take my grand daughter to see it.

#893 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

No one has seen or cares to comment on The Greatest Showman?

Nope, haven’t seen it ...

I think everyone has spent their movie bucks on Star Wars.

rd

#894 6 years ago

Finally saw Pixar's Coco this weekend.

Absolutely brilliant. Take the emotional impact of the first 5 minutes of "Up" (the Carl and Ellie montage), and apply it across an entire movie. Colorful, creative, and a fantastic return to form for the folks at Pixar.

Hard to believe this comes from the same company as the nihilistic Last Jedi.

Go see Coco with your family. You won't be disappointed.

10/10 Popcorns.

Later,
EV

#895 6 years ago

The arrival (2016). Had high hopes even knowing it had nothing to do with the 1996 tiger blood version. The alien language made up of symbols that have no beginning or end was interesting, but that was like the whole movie.
A. How do you even attempt to understand such a futuristic language? I mean I get pattern recognition and building up from basic words, but how can you really even confirm with accuracy if you're translating correctly (even with the help of computers)?
B. How do you base the entire plot of a movie on translating language? I mean if I read that script I'd be like "really? this is the whole movie?"
C. There was no explanation whatsoever how she could suddenly travel ahead in time in her mind and see the future.. I mean seriously, she meets up with the chinese leader in the future and not only has a conversation with him, but he repeats what she said back to her so she'd know exactly what to say to him in the present? Did the aliens enable her this gift? I'm so confused.

wife liked it, but her career is also in language.

#896 6 years ago

Loved the Arrival.

IIRC, earlier in the film she notes that when you study in a certain language for long enough, your thought patterns change and you begin thinking in that language.

To me, the circular patterns of the alien text were a metaphor to represent how these aliens didn't precieve time linearly, and therefore didn't think linearly.

Thus, her continued exposure to them altered her awareness enough so that she began to see space-time as a circle, and could thus see the future as well as the past.

YMMV of course.

What I thought was coolest about the story was the idea of this.... If you knew beforehand that your child would die of a horrible disease at age 10, would you still have kids?

Later,
EV

#897 6 years ago

I just watched "Jim & Andy The Great Beyond" it is a documentary of the movie, "Man on the Moon" where Jim Carrey portrayed Andy Kaufman. Interspersed with current interview segments with Jim. It really have a great insight into how far her delved into Kaufman's persona and how the role affected him.

If you were a fan of the movie, it would be 9/10, but dramatically less if you didn't like/see the Man on the Moon.

#898 6 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

I just watched "Jim & Andy The Great Beyond" it is a documentary of the movie, "Man on the Moon" where Jim Carrey portrayed Andy Kaufman

I watched that a few weeks back ... I’d never seen Man on The Moon but I know the story.

Carrey was so annoying in character that my wife couldn’t watch it! Haha! She trundled off to bed instead. I enjoyed it, I thought it got really good in the second half especially when “andy” got cancer and all the crew were emotionally involved...

Funny how the Director Milos was really pulling his hair out at th start but by the end everyone seemed on board. Except the wrestler who wanted to smash Jim’s face in.

rd

#899 6 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

I just watched "Jim & Andy The Great Beyond" it is a documentary of the movie

9.5 popcorns. Jim Carrey is on a different mental level & maybe he's onto something. Best part is when he sent the other guy to the playboy mansion then later showed up himself. Hef's face was priceless. Awesome Documentary.

#900 6 years ago

I just watched "The Vault" with James Franco. 4/10 pops. If you are working on something and need some background noise, then this is perfect flick for you. Not scary, not original, not over the top, not for kids, bland.

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/18?hl=kvolak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.