A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 32.
#651 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Gosh I hope this Logan's run doesn't suck.

I just watched it the other day. It was a great movie but it was sooooo hokey. That 70s futuristic is funny looking

#652 6 years ago

Really they should try to make the new one hokey. But good.

Like with Simon peg as the friend. Who comes after him. It could be good.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#653 6 years ago

Sorry about the image? The high evolutionary. Why I'm not sure.

#654 6 years ago

Baywatch

Yes, I went to Baywatch. The Boss wanted to see it. So I cleverly waited until it was half price and we went today.

You know what you're gonna get here. Some funny one liners, silly plot, lots of abs (Efron looks like he is made of plastic...) some hot ladies in tight bathing suits...

If you check in your brain at the door, it was entertaining enough. I have to admit, I never watched a full episode of the TV show (it was on Saturday night and I was usually out playing in my band) but some of the in-jokes about life guards solving crimes were quite funny. And Hoff and Pamela make an appearance.

Brain Popcorns 2/10

Entertainment Popcorns 6/10

rd

#655 6 years ago

Sorry the reason I placed the high evolutionary was that box from Logan's run was like a poor mans high evolutionary. My mind is all over the place.

#656 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Baywatch
Yes, I went to Baywatch. The Boss wanted to see it. So I cleverly waited until it was half price and we went today.
You know what you're gonna get here. Some funny one liners, silly plot, lots of abs (Efron looks like he is made of plastic...) some hot ladies in tight bathing suits...

If you check in your brain at the door, it was entertaining enough. I have to admit, I never watched a full episode of the TV show (it was on Saturday night and I was usually out playing in my band) but some of the in-jokes about life guards solving crimes were quite funny. And Hoff and Pamela make an appearance.
Brain Popcorns 2/10
Entertainment Popcorns 6/10
rd

I went in with very low expectations but I enjoyed it. It was silly and unoriginal but it was still funny. I laughed my ass of when the girl asked why their swimsuits rode up into their asses and the answer was that it made them swim faster. That and The Rock giving Zack Efrom such a hard time.

#657 6 years ago

Alien Covenant-

Watched this film until the Vice principals dude uttered "sugar tits"...at which point I walked out and proceeded to catch the last half of boss baby in the adjacent theater

Your time would be better spent watching the 27" screen over the shoulder of someone playing The Hobbit at expo...

#658 6 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Watched this film until the Vice principals dude uttered "sugar tits"...at which point I walked out and proceeded to catch the last half of boss baby in the adjacent theater

Sounds like u gave it a chance.

Why did "sugar tits" push u over the edge?

and lastly Boss Baby, really?

#659 6 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

lien Covenant-

Ooooooh bad burn!!

rd

#660 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I love the MST episode of Manos. But I can't imagine sitting through the actual movie without the crew.

That's kind of true of most of the movies they riffed on.

#661 6 years ago

Movie 43

I remember seeing something on TV about this movie being made, and it looked good! It has a heap of stars all acting in short clips, much like Kentucky Fried Movie from the late 70s. Then I never heard of it again until I saw it at the library and grabbed it.

Oh wow. No wonder I never heard of it again! What a disaster area! Heaps of big name actors talked into doing some pretty weird scenes. Hugh Jackman has testicles on his neck. Anna Farris wants Chris Pratt to poop on him. I gotta admit I laughed at that. But it got worse after that. Leprechauns! Jonny Knoxville! Elizabeth Banks murders a cartoon cat in front of children. Leprechauns!

How'd they con these actors into making this movie? Boggles the mind! Fiona spent most of the movie hiding her eyes! Haha!

I had to look it up on Rotten Tomatoes after I watched it. I had a rating of 4!! 4!! I've never seen one that low!!

I laughed at the poop so I'll go a generous 2 Popcorns. Probably a little generous to be fair.

rd

#662 6 years ago

Movie 43, Totally bizarre, not sure how they got these big stars to play the parts either. Hugh Jackman on a blind date with balls under chin (probably find this on youtube), got some chuckles out of me, worth a watch just for how weird it is.
2 popcorns just for the actors being good sports, probably is generous RD.

#663 6 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

2 popcorns just for the actors being good sports, probably is generous RD.

Yeah, I reckon.

Have the Farrelly brothers made a good movie since Something About Mary? Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, Something about Mary .... it's all been downhill since then ...

Movie 43 is just Peter Farrelly, it takes the cake.

rd

#664 6 years ago

Me and my friends at school today were talking about iconic NZ films and one I wanna mention is Boy. Boy is that classic "back in the day" kind of rural New Zealand comedy. Some of us were rewatching it, and it's pretty good. [I would give it 7/10 popcorns].

Another good one is What We Do in the Shadows but I think I already mentioned that one but I may as well mention it again. IT IS MY FAVOURITE BECAUSE IT'S HILARIOUS. 9.6/10 popcorns.

IMG_1167 (resized).pngIMG_1167 (resized).png

#665 6 years ago

I guess I'm becoming the old bastard I always wanted to be but for the most part what people call funny these days just sucks to me, Ted, Family Guy, movie 43 and most of what I see via funny or die and SNL its just terrible, maybe I was spoiled by my 70's/80's/90's especially 80's comedy films, thank baby jesus for Will Ferrel.

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I guess I'm becoming the old bastard I always wanted to be but for the most part what people call funny these days just sucks to me, Ted, Family Guy, movie 43 and most of what I see via funny or die and SNL its just terrible

I concur. I don't think I have ever laughed at anything I have seen on SNL. Or any of those late night TV shows either for that matter.

Maybe it is because we are old ... we have seen it all before.

Or maybe it is because we are miserable bastards.

But maybe not ... I go to live stand-up comedy all the time and alway have a good snicker.

rd

#667 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Movie 43
I remember seeing something on TV about this movie being made, and it looked good! It has a heap of stars all acting in short clips, much like Kentucky Fried Movie from the late 70s. Then I never heard of it again until I saw it at the library and grabbed it.
Oh wow. No wonder I never heard of it again! What a disaster area! Heaps of big name actors talked into doing some pretty weird scenes. Hugh Jackman has testicles on his neck. Anna Farris wants Chris Pratt to poop on him. I gotta admit I laughed at that. But it got worse after that. Leprechauns! Jonny Knoxville! Elizabeth Banks murders a cartoon cat in front of children. Leprechauns!
How'd they con these actors into making this movie? Boggles the mind! Fiona spent most of the movie hiding her eyes! Haha!
I had to look it up on Rotten Tomatoes after I watched it. I had a rating of 4!! 4!! I've never seen one that low!!
I laughed at the poop so I'll go a generous 2 Popcorns. Probably a little generous to be fair.
rd

There were a ton of these type of movies in the past. Everything You Want To Know About Sex, The Meaning of Life, History Of The World Part One.

I did chuckle a few times. Hugh Jackman was funny. The Ipod that looks like a naked girl you're not supposed to screw was interesting. I enjoyed Batman helping Robin get laid. The problem was most of the skits just ended without a big payoff. And the connecting scenes blew big time.

#668 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I concur. I don't think I have ever laughed at anything I have seen on SNL. Or any of those late night TV shows either for that matter.
Maybe it is because we are old ... we have seen it all before.
Or maybe it is because we are miserable bastards.
But maybe not ... I go to live stand-up comedy all the time and alway have a good snicker.
rd

When Ghostbusters '16 came out, some people speculated that comedy today is different from the comedy of the original. Back then they crafted and molded a script, now comedy is mainly improv and adlibs.

#669 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

When Ghostbusters '16 came out, some people speculated that comedy today is different from the comedy of the original. Back then they crafted and molded a script, now comedy is mainly improv and adlibs.

and CGI. Everything is CGI - Comedy, horror, sci-fi, commercials. . . .

#670 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Back then they crafted and molded a script, now comedy is mainly improv and adlibs.

I think that's one of the differences.

The "improv" those ex SNL guys have is a lot different to the real improv that guys learnt playing for years in the clubs, or doing Theatresports.

American comedy shows have a big back room of writers. Here's the current writers for SNL... prepare yourself ...:

Head writer(s)
Chris Kelly, Sarah Schneider, Bryan Tucker, and Kent Sublette (Since episode 12).
Writing staff [18]
James Anderson
Kristen Bartlett
Jeremy Beiler
Zack Bornstein
Leslie Jones
Joanna Bradley
Megan Callahan
Michael Che
Judy Chase
Fran Gillespie
Sudi Green
Steve Higgins
Colin Jost
Chris Kelly
Erik Kenward
Rob Klein
Nick Kocher
Dave McCary
Brian McElhaney
Dennis McNicholas
Drew Michael
Lorne Michaels
Josh Patten
Sarah Schneider
Pete Schultz (Weekend Update Head Writer)
Streeter Seidell
Will Stephen
Julio Torres
Bryan Tucker

That's 23 dudes!!

Of course, the actors will have some input .. but it always cracks me up when someone says "oh, that <SNL guy> is soooo funny!!" ... the dude has 23 guys writing his shit!

You compare the British version of Who's Line is it Anyway ... that show was full improv, coming from a base of Theatre sports. They made all that shit up on the fly, cameras rolling ... go for it. No filters. You can see those dudes do a live version of the show at the London Improv every week. The US version had to be scripted so they didn't offend anyone. That's a bit sad ...

rd

#671 6 years ago

Good conversation. Remember the original SCTV (Second City Television) improv crew? Heck, two are even Ghostbusters.

John Candy,Joe Flaherty,Eugene Levy,Andrea Martin,Rick Moranis,Catherine O'Hara,Harold Ramis,Martin Short,Dave Thomas

Loy of funny stuff there. I'll have to go watch dome of the old stuff and see how it has help up over time.

#672 6 years ago

I think snl is pretty damn good right now. I have been watching since the 70s.

There is no apples to oranges here. But snl. Now is pretty good. For exactly what it is. I think they have a great thing right now. Looking forward to next season.

Plus these crazy ass times.

#673 6 years ago

I have never been on snl, has anyone else?

#674 6 years ago

Wonder Woman

Man, I'm on a roll with my half price movies!

Enjoyed it!

Like DMB, I thought it was the best DC movie so far. The movie is the Wonder Woman origin story, set around the end of WW1. Chris Pine's bi-plane magically appears near Wonder Woman's home island through some portal thing (which never really gets explained, but whatever ...) and away we go.

Ladies beating up on bad people is always good watching (KickAss' HitGirl is one of the best movie characters ever) and WW does extremely well here, racking up an impressive body count, all with the minimum of any blood whatsoever (gotta get that G rating!)

The inevitable Hero(ine) vs Bad Guy scene is a little drawn out ... and some of the Matrix style fight CGI is a bit hokey, but over all it's a fun way to fill 2 hours.

And Wonder Woman was indeed looking Wonder(ful)

8 Popcorns.

#675 6 years ago

Resident Evil: Vendetta was pretty good. 8/10, solidly entertaining zombie action. Not at all like that crappy live action Resident Evil.

#676 6 years ago

Going to see Transformers Imax 3D....I'll keep yuz posted!

#677 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Don't do it Ted! (There...you've been warned)

1 week later
#678 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

And thennnnnnnn ..... ?

IMG_6381.GIFIMG_6381.GIF

#679 6 years ago

The Mummy

Yet another half price movie! I'm on fire!

I went in with low expectations. Despite Teds misgivings, we both actually enjoyed it. Filled in two hours nicely, with no major flat spots.

Like Ted, I don't have a lot of time for Cult Man Tom, but he is ok here, there are even some one liners which work ok. His sidekick has some good lines, even when he is dead. (!)

I was hoping for a David Miscavage cameo, alas, he was nowhere to be seen. Unless he was disguised as a zombie. Lots of dead bodies coming back to life in this movie.

Chubby Russell Crowe also makes an appearance as Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde, maybe opening the way for his own franchise?

Anyway, the gist of it all was Tom Cruise and his buddies unearth a nasty Egyptian mummy lady (who was quite the hot number) who inevitably came back to life and chose Tom to join the cult errrrr I mean her Eternal Life thing she had going on. In the end, she bites the dust but Tom has been inducted into the cult errrrr Eternal Life thing and is now "The Mummy" for ever and is free to make as many sequels as David Miscavage lets him make.

Popcorns - 7. Entertaining enough!

rd

#680 6 years ago

I see what you're saying...it had its moments.
It was a huge flop in the US, but doing well overseas. When the smoke clears, it may cost Universal $90+ million. Hopefully Bride of Frankenstein (next up) and The Invisible Man will be better. Thankfully, Creature is down the line....

#681 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It was a huge flop in the US, but doing well overseas. When the smoke clears, it may cost Universal $90+ million. Hopefully Bride of Frankenstein (next up) and The Invisible Man will be better. Thankfully, Creature is down the line....

Hollywood seems to be fixated on remaking old titles. I guess they figure that they were winners back then, so they are starting from a good base and they can coin it up with the movies and Merch.

Also, I guess 90% of todays movie going market has never seen the original movies, so they can do what they want story wise.

I gotta say, 3 different Spider-Man franchises in 15 years is getting a bit crazy though.

rd

#682 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm going to catch the mummy at a theatre near me this week, Why not.

I need amusement, and they have a kiss in the lobby.

#683 6 years ago

Anybody see "Baby Driver" yet? I'm kind of itching to see that one.

#684 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm going to catch the mummy at a theatre near me this week, Why not.
I need amusement, and they have a kiss in the lobby.

Current movies:
Baby Driver > Wonder Woman > Guardians of the Galaxy 2 >.....Etc....Etc....Etc....Better than the two that are DEAD LAST....The Mummy and Transformers (Tie for dead last). I will skip those two even when they are free on cable. (IMHO) 15% on Rotten Tomatoes for both.....15%!

#685 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I will skip those two even when they are free on cable. (IMHO) 15% on Rotten Tomatoes for both.....15%!

See, I'm a little different than most I guess.

I don't read review sites before I go to the movies. I try and see a movie with an open mind. I don't need people telling me what to do or think.

Occasionally I will look up reviews AFTER I've seen it, like I did with Movie 43 to see if I just didn't get the movie and was missing the awesomeness somewhere. I wasn't. Haha!

Looking at The Mummy on Rotten Tomatoes, the "pro" reviewers have given it 15%. They seem to be comparing it to the original movie or the Brendon Fraser movies (which don't stick in my mind as being great movies.. maybe that's me..) They all seem to be mentioning the Dark Universe in a negative light, like they are just anti the whole concept from the start.

The "mega poster" reviews all seem to be around 3-3.5 stars out of 5 which is the same as my 7/10.

When I review a movie, I'm looking at the "popcorn" factor ...
1/ was it entertaining?
2/ did I look at my watch at all?
3/ did I feel like I got ripped off?
4/ was the hole in the plot so big I could drive my furniture truck through it?
5/ did I walk out? (Only happened once ever ... I'll stick it out to the bitter end!)

Overall, number 1 is the biggest factor in any movie. I can go see a movie I have no affinity for at all, but still be entertained. At the end of the day, that's what movies are about, entertainment and escape from the everyday world for a couple of hours.

rd

#686 6 years ago

Following up from that, here's a "mega reviewer" from RT with a very well written review, making the point in the first section that reviewers just set out to hate this movie before they even saw it.

https://nathanzoebl.com/?s=Mummy&submit=Search

Probably sums it up:

Suffice to say, in my view The Mummy does not deserve its savaging by the critical community. I think too many critics are assailing larger points (Tom Cruise as a person, cinematic universes) and losing sight of the actual movie itself. The Mummy is not a perfect film by any stretch but it’s a movie that has a strong sense of its identity and how to meet its goals. The Mummy is a modest B-movie with a sense of fun that offers enough surprises, suspense and action sequences, and clever visuals to entertain. If this is the start to the Dark Universe then I feel optimistic about where else the newest creature features will lead. I recommend giving this one a chance once the dust settles. You may be just as surprised.

Nate’s Grade: B

rd

#687 6 years ago

Baby Driver is a pretty good movie. Kindof Thelma and Louise type movie.

#688 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

See, I'm a little different than most I guess.
I don't read review sites before I go to the movies. I try and see a movie with an open mind. I don't need people telling me what to do or think.

You're not different at all. I don't always agree with the so called "professional reviewers". But 15%? I can't think of a single movie rated that badly that I really liked. 40-50% sure...but not 15.

Sometimes I agree with the pro's...sometimes I agree with "viewer" ratings...sometimes I agree with neither. I "try" to always have an open mind...but not so open my brains fall out.

#689 6 years ago

I watched the McDonald's (Ray Kroc) movie on a plane ride, thought it was pretty good, the one brother was stubborn and croc was a heck of a scammer on that deal.

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I "try" to always have an open mind...but not so open my brains fall out.

My brains fell out years ago.

rd

#691 6 years ago

Saw Despicable Me 3 this past weekend. It was pretty fun. Probably better than the second, but not as good as the first.

I can't bring myself to see the Mummy when there's anything else out to see, particularly because Cruise is such a clown. Perhaps later on Netflix. That said, i hope at least some of the "universal dark universe" thing succeeds. Some of them seem like they could be good.

I've heard good things about Baby Driver, so I'm considering heading to that next weekend. This review made me really want to see Transformers though, particularly because my nearby theaters is cheap and serves beer:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/transformers-the-last-knight-the-spoiler-faq-1796409426

My wife has expressed (mild) interest in both so we'll see.

Quoted from Astropin:

I "try" to always have an open mind...but not so open my brains fall out.

I think that the term you're looking for is "trepanning."

#692 6 years ago

Dave, any verdict on Children of Men yet?

#693 6 years ago

Couldn't even finish the mummy........so bad. Surprisingly enough bay watch was not horrible.

#694 6 years ago

Missed opp to not have Spider-Man opening over the 4th..come on...Its summer !!
Ah well, maybe I just don't find this weeks offering all that compelling.

#695 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Couldn't even finish the mummy........so bad. Surprisingly enough bay watch was not horrible.

What did you find so bad about the Mummy?

rd

#696 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Dave, any verdict on Children of Men yet?

Still waiting for the DVD from the public library. Obviously other Aucklanders have read the Pinside glowing reviews and booked it up!!!

We are next in line so hopefully this week.

rd

#697 6 years ago

John Wick. (1)

If it wasn't for this thread, I never would have heard of John Wick. It wasn't even released in NZ cinemas. Why? I dunno.

So I got it on DVD and watched it last night.

Quite a throwback to the 80s-90s big body count action movies! I haven't seen a movie like this for a while. All the dead people were Russian gangsters so I guess that makes it ok. Lol!

Wick was a cool cat, lots of double taps to the head. Story was predictable of course, bad guys did something bad, hero comes and wastes everyone involved. The spirit of 80s Arnie movies lives on!

Enjoyed it for what it was ... a shoot em up revenge movie with some good action. JW2 comes out on DVD here shortly, so looking forward to that. I passed on watching it in the cinema until I watched the first one.

7 Popcorns.

rd

#698 6 years ago

McLaren (Documentary, 2017)

Kiwi Roger Donaldson (Cocktail, Dantes Peak, Thirteen Days etc) directs a documentary on Bruce McLaren, founder of McLaren Cars and Racing team.

McLaren started racing in New Zealand in the 50s, after a childhood crippled with Perthes disease, which left him with one leg shorter than the other.

Much like The Worlds Fastest Indian (A great movie about Bert Lancaster from Dunedin with Anthony Hopkins), Donaldson focuses on the famous Kiwi "number 8 wire" ingenuity, which is what we have developed down here at the ass end of the world. The early McLaren cars were literally made from old pipe and metal, sweat and blood, and crafted to be world beaters from an old shed in England.

Donaldson has unearthed some great old footage both from NZ and the races around the world, all through the 60s and up to Bruce's tragic death while testing at Goodwood in June, 1970.

McLaren became the youngest ever driver to win a F1 race at 22 years old (a record which stood for over 40 years), won Le Mans, won Monaco F1, and the team he founded is now the second longest running F1 team behind Ferrari.

The legacy of McLaren lives on. After his death in 1970, the company continued until 80/81 when it merged with Ron Dennis' company, and continues as McLaren today.

My review is biased, as I am a Motorsport enthusiast, and personally knew Bruce's sister Jan as a customer in my store.

Bruce McLaren was an amazing man .. what he did back in the 60s was astounding, coming from a tiny country on the other side of the world with little resources, and finally the world can see the story that us Kiwi racing enthusiasts embrace.

10 Popcorns for me, because the story is close to my heart. YMMV, but I bet you'll have a tear in your eye towards the end of the film.

rd

IMG_6414 (resized).JPGIMG_6414 (resized).JPG

IMG_6413 (resized).JPGIMG_6413 (resized).JPG

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Anybody see "Baby Driver" yet? I'm kind of itching to see that one.

I saw it yesterday. It was a fantastic movie made from a seemingly-boring premise, as with all Edgar Wright movies.

#700 6 years ago
Quoted from Tux:

I saw it yesterday. It was a fantastic movie made from a seemingly-boring premise, as with all Edgar Wright movies.

I really liked baby driver. I kind of felt bad for the kid and the girl. The girl was a doll. But it worked out

There are 1,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/14?hl=kvolak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.