A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 32.
#601 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

They pretty much all follow the same format...
Hero introduced
Hero meets love interest
Bad guy does something very bad
Hero and bad guy have an extremely prolonged fight
Hero wins
Love interest is happy
End

That's why Watchmen and The Dark Knight were such great movies. They didn't even come close to that format.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I think WW is better then the latest Batman

Well that isn't too hard. BvS still brings a smile to my face when I think of Martha.

#603 6 years ago

Gold

Watched this on the A380 yesterday. Not a bad flick. Based on a true story, very much in the mold of Wolf of Wall Street, The Big Short etc.

Matthew McConaughey is looking sweet with his pot tummy and balding head. You wince as he makes bad business decisions and he inevitably loses it all ... or does he?

7 Popcorns.

A380 Big Screen!

IMG_6186 (resized).JPGIMG_6186 (resized).JPG

#604 6 years ago

I went to watch Wonder Woman and thought it was easily the best DCU movie yet. It was very solid, almost Marvel like. In fact it reminded me of a mixture of the first Cap and Thor movies with the setting of a World War, and the fish out of water and mythology stuff.

The first act was a little slow and kind of boring on the island. Once they were in London it got interesting helped by the fish out of water comedy. The third act and climax was very satisfying with David Thewlis putting in a terrific performance.

I went with my eleven year old niece not because she needed to see a woman led film but because she was visiting my parents and I wanted to spend some time with her. She liked it but agreed with me that Guardians was better.

I actually prefer my Wonder Woman depiction to be more like a Spartan from 300. Gal Gadot did a decent job though.

The soundtrack was good but that terrible guitar was distracting. It's sad they'll probably try to keep using it in future films cause it's really awful.

The CG was hit and miss. Sometimes it looked really bad. I have mixed feelings about the Matrix approach to the fight scenes also. The ending fight with Ares was fun.

Overall I was pleased it turned out so well. Justice League looks like a hot mess from the trailer but I'm sure I'll go see it. 7/10

#605 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I went to watch Wonder Woman and thought it was easily the best DCU movie yet. It was very solid, almost Marvel like. In fact it reminded me of a mixture of the first Cap and Thor movies with the setting of a World War, and the fish out of water and mythology stuff.
The first act was a little slow and kind of boring on the island. Once they were in London it got interesting helped by the fish out of water comedy. The third act and climax was very satisfying with David Thewlis putting in a terrific performance.
I went with my eleven year old niece not because she needed to see a woman led film but because she was visiting my parents and I wanted to spend some time with her. She liked it but agreed with me that Guardians was better.
I actually prefer my Wonder Woman depiction to be more like a Spartan from 300. Gal Gadot did a decent job though.
The soundtrack was good but that terrible guitar was distracting. It's sad they'll probably try to keep using it in future films cause it's really awful.
The CG was hit and miss. Sometimes it looked really bad. I have mixed feelings about the Matrix approach to the fight scenes also. The ending fight with Ares was fun.
Overall I was pleased it turned out so well. Justice League looks like a hot mess from the trailer but I'm sure I'll go see it. 7/10

I thought that the theme song is pretty epic.

#606 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I thought that the theme song is pretty epic.

To each his own I guess. It felt out of place in BvS and that carried over because most of the score was really good. Different composer for both films too.

#607 6 years ago

Just saw WW and liked it too. Still not up to Marvel snuff, but much closer than the previous efforts. Both Guardians movies are my high-water mark of what a comic book movie should be.

Quite liked how they made WW like 1/3rd Captain America, 1/3rd Leonidas, and 1/3rd Indiana Jones. Those lasso moves were badass!

Later,
EV

#608 6 years ago

I thought Wonder Woman was pretty good, all I kept thinking in the begining was I wish I was stranded on that island.

#609 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Gold
Watched this on the A380 yesterday. Not a bad flick. Based on a true story, very much in the mold of Wolf of Wall Street, The Big Short etc.
Matthew McConaughey is looking sweet with his pot tummy and balding head. You wince as he makes bad business decisions and he inevitably loses it all ... or does he?
7 Popcorns.
A380 Big Screen!

Just watched this on our flight to Denver. Quite the rollercoaster story...I enjoyed it. 7.5 popcorns.

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I thought Wonder Woman was pretty good, all I kept thinking in the begining was I wish I was stranded on that island.

Those women would crack your spine

#611 6 years ago

alien the original has fully stood the test of time for me.

I saw alien when it came out. I convinced my grandmother to take me and my brother. The poster helped. Vague but r rated. I was in 5th grade going into sixth. My friend had seen it but no spoilers from him. He just said beyond everything else. I needed to see it.

Then grandma took us me and my brother. He was in like 1st grade awesome.

The movie was like no other instantly, then that thing in the guy's face. The speed began.

When the chest burster scene occured it was cinema magic.

My grandma said Michael why did you take me to this?

My brother had his eyes covered.

I watched with my fingers gripping the chair. Until the end. And the lights came on.

That is movie magic. I don't think it will happen again. But who knows.

#612 6 years ago

Went to see The Mummy in 3D. Yikes, what a shit show! Made no sense. I paid for another film and then snuck in to see the Mummy as I will not put one dollar in cult member Tom Cruise's pocket. I just hope they don't screw up Creature From the Black lagoon!

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Went to see The Mummy in 3D. Yikes, what a shit show! Made no sense. I paid for another film and then snuck in to see the Mummy as I will not put one dollar in cult member Tom Cruise's pocket. I just hope they don't screw up Creature From the Black lagoon!

Wait what? Are they doing CFTBL again? Bad ass.

#614 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Wait what? Are they doing CFTBL again? Bad ass.

The "Dark Universe" is doing them all in this re-imagined fashion. Dracula, etc.... But after seeing this I just hope they don't screw up Creature.

#615 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

The "Dark Universe" is doing them all in this re-imagined fashion. Dracula, etc.... But after seeing this I just hope they don't screw up Creature.

I watched CFTBL for the first time a few years back. Considering how old it was, it was pretty darn cool. My mother told me how it freaked everyone out when it came out in the 50s.

rd

#616 6 years ago

For me the creature was the epitome of universal monsters. As a young child the others did not even remotely interest me. The suit is still amazing. What a creature.

#617 6 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#618 6 years ago

That creature, just look at his moves.

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I watched CFTBL for the first time a few years back. Considering how old it was, it was pretty darn cool. My mother told me how it freaked everyone out when it came out in the 50s.

Did you watch it in 3D??

creature 3d screen.jpg (resized).JPGcreature 3d screen.jpg (resized).JPG

#620 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Did you watch it in 3D??

I have. Saw it at a theatre in Los Angeles back in the lat eighties that was running a bunch of 3D movies and shorts.

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Did you watch it in 3D??

No, just in flat-a-vision.

rd

#622 6 years ago

You can get it in 3D on Blu Ray.....it's worth it!

#623 6 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

I want to see what Jack Burton has been up to the last thirty years

Amen to that. Give me the Porkchop Express!

#624 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

You should watch the sequel. I've only seen it on MST3K but the suit still looked amazing.

#625 6 years ago

Just watched Children of Men again for the millionth time. I'm not sure why I watched it the first time. I can't remember if I saw Cuaron's Harry Potter film (which is the best one) before or after. Every time I watch it though it's amazing. It's one of my favorite films. So unique and intense. Almost spiritual. 10/10

#626 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Just watched Children of Men again for the millionth time. I'm not sure why I watched it the first time. I can't remember if I saw Cuaron's Harry Potter film (which is the best one) before or after. Every time I watch it though it's amazing. It's one of my favorite films. So unique and intense. Almost spiritual. 10/10

11/10. So, so good. It's the closest thing to my favorite video game, The Last Of Us. You might enjoy this:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/children-of-men-alfonso-cuaron-c-v-r.html?mid=twitter_vulture

#627 6 years ago

Speaking of '50s 3D movies, anyone else ever see It Came from Outer Space?
91qnu8eOYKL._SX385_.jpg91qnu8eOYKL._SX385_.jpg

I got this last fall on sale. Had never seen it before. Even in 2D (I don't have a 3D system) it looks impressive. Very good story for 1953. Also features a young Russel Johnson. If you get this, DO watch it again with the commentary track. Lots of interesting info about the making of the movie and Things You might have not noticed in the story.

#628 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Speaking of '50s 3D movies, anyone else ever see It Came from Outer Space?

At a deadly pace it came from outer space.

#629 6 years ago

Do the old 3D movies look any good on modern setups? I always wondered and would be one the few reasons for me to get a modern 3D TV.

#630 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Just watched Children of Men again for the millionth time

Quoted from jayhawkai:

11/10. So, so good

Never heard of it! So I ordered it from the public library. $2 for two weeks.

I shall report back! Just on the last discs of my Breaking Bad rewatch binge ...

rd

#631 6 years ago

Children of men. Fewer movies have been made that good recently. You are in for a great movie. I envy you.

#632 6 years ago

I think I'll pop it in today later and watch it too. Children of men should not be missed.

#633 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do the old 3D movies look any good on modern setups? I always wondered and would be one the few reasons for me to get a modern 3D TV.

They look fantastic! Just go for Passive Glasses (no batteries) and enjoy! I've bought just about every 3D film available....love it!
Every time I have visitors I have to watch Avatar again!

#634 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Get a 2016 or 2015 4K TV with passive 3D. I splurged for the 2016 LG OLED model with passive 3D and it looks amazing.

#635 6 years ago

I have a Optima 3D projector with the active glasses and it works very well. Although I rarely use the 3D ... I think I've watched 2 3D movies lol.

rd

#636 6 years ago

Watched two movies yesterday: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Bob Roberts.

First AOTKT: I have no idea how this movie ended up being dubbed 'the worst ever'. Maybe people were expecting a serious horror film. It's a very silly comedy, similar to Hot Shots or Flying High/Airplane- except that AOTKT takes itself even less seriously than those movies. Some jokes fall flat but there are plenty that don't. Some of the absurdist humour wouldn't be out of place in a Monty Python sketch. 7.5/10.

Bob Roberts: I watched this mainly because I loved the Simpsons episode 'Sideshow Bob Roberts'. This movie was just...bizarre, and I'm kind of surprised it actually got a mainstream release. It's more a propaganda film than satire, an unsubtle diatribe written, directed by and starring Tim Robbins. While there are a couple of funny moments, the political/social commentary never rises above the level of "four legs good, two legs bad". No wonder Robbins landed himself a starring role in Team America. 1/10.

#637 6 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I have no idea how this movie ended up being dubbed 'the worst ever

Haven't watched that ... but if you want to see a shitter, watch Manos Hands Of Fate. Ohhhhhboy.

Pretty sure you can watch it on the net these days.

rd

#638 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They look fantastic! Just go for Passive Glasses (no batteries) and enjoy! I've bought just about every 3D film available....love it!
Every time I have visitors I have to watch Avatar again!

I did mean old 3D movies from long ago unlike Avatar.

I'm more interested in seeing movies from the 50s or 60s in 3D.

#639 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I did mean old 3D movies from long ago unlike Avatar.
I'm more interested in seeing movies from the 50s or 60s in 3D.

House of Wax original starring Vincent Price as the mad professor, Charles Bronson as the mute assistant Igor, and Carolyn Jones (Morticia Addams) as the pursued victim.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045888/?ref_=nm_knf_t2

Classic 3D movie and one of the first made.

#640 6 years ago

House of wax is awesome, the original.

#641 6 years ago

Saw 47 meters down last night. What a turd.

#642 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Haven't watched that ... but if you want to see a shitter, watch Manos Hands Of Fate. Ohhhhhboy.
rd

But does make great fodder for the best episode of Mystery Science Theater 300.

#643 6 years ago

I read that they are remaking Logans Run. I can't wait.

#644 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I read that they are remaking Logans Run. I can't wait.

I have mixed emotions. I love the original and if it is like most re-bakes it will be a reason to use CGI.

#645 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

But does make great fodder for the best episode of Mystery Science Theater 300.

I love the MST episode of Manos. But I can't imagine sitting through the actual movie without the crew.

#646 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I love the MST episode of Manos. But I can't imagine sitting through the actual movie without the crew.

I'm the opposite ... I tried to watch MST and I just found it to be annoying. I don't need people telling me what is funny or not I guess. I didn't find those guys funny at all. I know it has a big following, but it wasn't for me.

We used to have "the incredibly strange film festival" here in Auckland 15-20 years ago, I saw heaps of the Z grade movies at those festivals. Manos, Blackula, Dolemite, heaps of bad movies. Now they have incorporated that festival in with the NZ Film Festival and it isn't so good anymore. They still show some weird movies, but none of the really old shitters from the past.

rd

#647 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I have mixed emotions. I love the original and if it is like most re-bakes it will be a reason to use CGI.

Gosh I hope this Logan's run doesn't suck.

#648 6 years ago

I mean the original is so good, why bother even remaking it. That's my opinion.

#649 6 years ago

i remember being so excited as a child that the movie kept going.

So epic.

#650 6 years ago

This guy.

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.