A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 32.
#551 6 years ago

"munters? I don't think it means what you think it means.

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

"munters? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Munter in Australasia (that's Aus and NZ) is a slang word for "dick" or "asshole" or similar.

Example: "Don't be a munter"

Or: "that munter crashed into my car!!"

It is also a form of knot used in rock climbing.

rd

#553 6 years ago

Well now that makes sense. I looked up the meaning, seems to be many versions. Here is one:

noun

a very unattractive person.
Shes a munter straight from muntervillle!
Last edited on May 10 2002. Submitted by Emily S. from Droxford, Hampshire, UK on May 10 2002.
a very unattractive female. Origin: British
Last edited on Jun 17 2003. Submitted by Dylan H. from Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK on Jun 17 2003.
an ugly person.
I'd kiss a munter like that, I'm not fussy.
an unattractive person.
She's a bit of a munter.
Last edited on Sep 09 2005. Submitted by Phil H. from Cambridgeshire, UK on Sep 09 2005.
an unattractive, unintelligent male. A male "minger".

Anyway, had to look it up as never heard that word before your post.

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Talk Radio (1988)

I think Oliver Stone did a great job of making Talk Radio visual, because the film is mostly of a guy talking into a microphone. The movie is based in Dallas. I remember he talked about the hookers on Harry Hines St. In the last 25 years Dallas has changed so much.. but the hookers are still there.

#555 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Anthropoid
In 2014, I was in Prague and did a walking tour around the city. One of the stops was the Methodius Cathedral. Inside, we toured through the catacombs underneath, and learnt of the story of the assassination of Nazi general Reinhard Heydrich, known as the butcher of Prague. His assassins hid out in the catacombs of the church. This is the movie of that story.
The Nazis who occupied Prague were a nasty bunch of munters, led by Heydrich, who was the 3rd highest ranked in the Nazi party and the architect of the "final solution"
So London sent two Czech fighters in to knock him off... Operation Anthropoid. You'll have to watch the movie (or read the history books) to find out the rest ... but let's just say, don't get too attached to the cast. And the Nazis took out another 5000 men, women and children on top for retribution, just for good measure. Hey, I told you they were munters!
Good wartime history movie, and pretty true to the original story as far as I know it.
7.5 Popcorns.
rd

Refreshingly, the vast majority of that film was historically accurate!

*** SPOILERS ***

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/anthropoid/

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Refreshingly, the vast majority of that film was historically accurate!
*** SPOILERS ***
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/anthropoid/

Even the actors look sorta like the real dudes!

rd

#557 6 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Looking forward to Alien: Covenant this weekend. When a film has...
Ridley Scott
Strong female lead
Flame throwers
Aliens and Androids
and rotating beacons
It's beautiful.

I saw Alien: Covenant yesterday.

My biggest beef with Ridley Scott's Prometheus & now Covenant is that he uses science fiction devices when it suits his film's plot but completely ignores reasonable technological advances. Spoiler Alert: they still don't wear helmets or masks or anything while walking around on a strange planet. In a world where AI exists, space travel/hyper sleep exist, etc, you are telling me there are NO protocols when it comes to exploring other strange planets. Come on man!

The movie is worth a watch. Redbox or stream it. It does have more gore than other Alien movies so that's a plus.

6.5 popcorns.

#558 6 years ago

Alien Covenant

Just saw this in the West End while the boss went to Aladdin at the theatre. I hate the theatre. Pretentious clowns.

Interesting tidbit: the theatre had the lights on dimly throughout the movie. Must be some crazy UK Health and Safety thing. They have some crazy stuff here. It was strange watching a movie not in complete darkness.

My preface: I saw Alien and Aliens back in the 80s. I haven't seen Prometheus as yet. I rewatched Alien about a month ago to see what the fanboys were going on about. It is an ok movie, but IMO hardly the second coming some of those guys make it out to be.

I thought Covenant was pretty good. It is very similar in pace to the original, which is pretty funny as a lot of the fanboys say it is slow. Maybe their memories are a bit cloudy? Or blinded by fanboyness?

Good visual effects all round. The "planet" they land on is Milford Sound in NZ so that was cool.

I liked the twist at the end, but I did pick up that was going to happen while they were still on the planet.

Overall, I would go 7.5 Popcorns.

rd

#559 6 years ago

Now you need to watch Prometheus. It explains a lot. They are both( as you know) prequals to Alien and explain where they they came from

#560 6 years ago

I'll chime in a little late for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. I think it might be one of the best movies I've ever seen in terms of balance between SciFi, action, and comedy. There must have been four different villains in the movie and poor Rocket Raccoon was called everything under the sun: Rat, Raccoon, Triangle-Nosed Monkey, Puppy, Panda, Fox, etc. In my opinion, he was the best character, although baby Groot and Drax put in their fair share of comedy. Kurt Russell was great as Ego the Living Planet......a celestial! The movie really answered a lot of open questions about Quill's backstory, Gamora and Nebula's backstory, Yondu and Quill's backstory, etc.

#561 6 years ago

I loved Gaurdians 2 as well. I thought it was one of the best Marvel movies and up there with the best sci fi ornaction movies ever. I hate that Yondu died after he became a hero but I guess someone had to buy it. I don't know if he died I. The comics or not.

#562 6 years ago

To get ready for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, I went to the Aniversary showing of the Fifth Element, a limited movie theater showing. It was great to see it on the big screen with an audience.

If you look carefully in the trailers you can see the Thai floating Junk and a Corben Style Cab. Love that this is 'of the universe' but entirely its own. Not the the comic was part of that, but likely an influence.

#563 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I went to the Aniversary showing of the Fifth Element, a limited movie theater showing

Yeah, they were running that in New Zealand this weekend too. If I was there I'd go.

They've also been running Alien and Aliens at the cinema too.

rd

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I hate that Yondu died after he became a hero

I never new anything about Guardians of the Galaxy till seeing the first movie after renting it at redbox, i thought the trailers made it look dumb, but after watching the first one i became a fan. In the first one i always wanted to see what Yondus arrow could do and in the second you really got to see (I thought it was awesome) really liked Drax in 2 and liked how you got to learn about the characters history.

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I'll chime in a little late for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. I think it might be one of the best movies I've ever seen in terms of balance between SciFi, action, and comedy. There must have been four different villains in the movie and poor Rocket Raccoon was called everything under the sun: Rat, Raccoon, Triangle-Nosed Monkey, Puppy, Panda, Fox, etc. In my opinion, he was the best character, although baby Groot and Drax put in their fair share of comedy. Kurt Russell was great as Ego the Living Planet......a celestial! The movie really answered a lot of open questions about Quill's backstory, Gamora and Nebula's backstory, Yondu and Quill's backstory, etc.

I'm hoping the third one fleshes out Rocket's and Groot's backstory.

They did a great job with the family themes to keep it grounded. It reminded me of why I liked the first Thor because of the bittersweet relationship between the brothers.

Kurt Russell also just nailed it. I've seen it twice and kind of want to see it again. His speech about the song Brandy is really memorable.

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I hate that Yondu died after he became a hero but I guess someone had to buy it. I don't know if he died I. The comics or not.

His death was very necessary to me. It gave the movie an emotional punch that stuck with me. The funeral scene at the end was great with all of the emotional beats between pretty much all of the characters. Quill and Rocket. Quill and Gamora. Rocket and Yondu. Quill and Yondu. Drax and Groot. Gamora and Nebula. Even Kraglin had some nice moments.

#567 6 years ago

Saw Alien: Covenant, it was passably entertaining but otherwise a forgettable rehash. It's funny that people are focusing so much on the aliens that they're not even, like, alien anymore. The whole thrill of the original film was that you didn't know what it would do next, but now they're so rote it's like a tradition. Some of the stuff with David's experimentation was cool, I liked the Island of Dr Moreau vibes. Too bad about the rest of it.

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

The whole thrill of the original film was that you didn't know what it would do next, but now they're so rote it's like a tradition

With Alien (and other movies too) I think you have a few things in play.

1/ when most of us saw Alien, we were kids or teenagers and it was pretty scary. Now, we are 40 (+) and we have seen it all before. Twice.

2/ a lot of people assign nostalgic memories to the first time they see something. Nothing will ever match up. See: Star Wars fans. See: Ghostbusters fans.

rd

#569 6 years ago

It just feels like such a limp compromise between doing something new and trying to hook viewers with something they're familiar with. The franchise is such a product now, all the creativity is suffocated by this obsessive need to kowtow to Approved Concepts. Just make a new movie!

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I saw Alien: Covenant yesterday.
My biggest beef with Ridley Scott's Prometheus & now Covenant is that he uses science fiction devices when it suits his film's plot but completely ignores reasonable technological advances.

I agree, I expected much more from this film. The dueling androids were predictable, and the visuals were OK but not great. The aliens themselves were like extra cast members. No rotating light beacons and no flame throwers. 5 Popcorns... Prometheus was better.

#571 6 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I agree, I expected much more from this film. The dueling androids were predictable, and the visuals were OK but not great. The aliens themselves were like extra cast members. No rotating light beacons and no flame throwers. 5 Popcorns... Prometheus was better.

I get real pissed at the Spoilers in this thread without and clear SPOLIER ALERT separation.

#572 6 years ago

Watched half of the Ghostbusters remake yesterday. You ever get to that point in a movie, not that it's a bad movie, but that you just don't care about anything going on enough to invest another moment? There you go.

Just finished 10 Cloverfield Lane. Didn't really know anything about it going in, and luckily so. Worth the watch.

#573 6 years ago

I liked Alien Convenant and didn't find it derivative of other movies in the series while watching it. After thinking about it, I guess some of it was similar to the first one, mostly the end sequence.

I was fascinated by Fassbender's David. His arc through Prometheus has been really interesting. I've read rumors that Sigourney was hoping to return to the series. It would be neat if they do another movie set years later where David has to be stopped by an older Ripley.

Disappointed that Noomi Rapace was so casually discarded. She's one of my favorite actresses but it was a neat callback to kill her offscreen.

I think every movie James Franco is in should start off with him dying.

#574 6 years ago

Pirates of the Caribbean (2017)

I'll go 6-7 popcorns. I had rather low expectations, so given that it ended up being enjoyable. Just sit back and watch it....don't think about it too deeply or you could ruin it.

#575 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Watched half of the Ghostbusters remake yesterday. You ever get to that point in a movie, not that it's a bad movie, but that you just don't care about anything going on enough to invest another moment?

that's how I felt, and it wasn't just because it was women. It didn't have good comedy, it didn't have good scary cgi, storyline was too much like the first movie.

Quoted from jibmums:

Just finished 10 Cloverfield Lane. Didn't really know anything about it going in, and luckily so. Worth the watch

Totally agree.. I just watched this maybe 2 months ago, one of those moments "Hey, I didn't watch that movie, looked interesting". Definitely had a good "I'm not sure if he's telling the truth or not". The trailer is good too because it makes it look happy go lucky, then it turns

#576 6 years ago

T2 Trainspotting 2 - Great throwback film, lots of nostalgia, good tunes, fun story. - 7 Popcorns

Adult Life Skills - Funny dialogue, new take on a coming of age film, good for a second watch - 7.5 Popcorns

#577 6 years ago

Does anybody else think Katherine Waterston is one of the ugliest looking actresses? Maybe it was her terrible Scott Pilgrim hair do.

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Does anybody else think Katherine Waterston is one of the ugliest looking actresses? Maybe it was her terrible Scott Pilgrim hair do.

I must admit, when I was watching Covenant I did think to myself it was strange not seeing a "dolly bird" having the lead in a Hollywood movie ...

rd

#579 6 years ago

I liked her, she looked like a real person, it's nice to have someone in a movie who doesn't look like they were plastiformed.

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I liked her, she looked like a real person, it's nice to have someone in a movie who doesn't look like they were plastiformed.

I concur. It's just unusual to see it ...

rd

#581 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I agree but I was looking thru IMDB and she looks quite atractive with ling hair.

#582 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

She looked alright in Harry Potter - Fantastic Beasts.

Are you a Harry Potter Fan? See 1. Do you have children of age 10+? See 1. Do you like magic? See 1. Wizard fetish? See 1. Are you bored? See 1. Other? See 2.

1) Rent Movie
2) Skip

Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them - 7 Popcorns

#583 6 years ago

Great movie too by the way.

IMG_0423 (resized).JPGIMG_0423 (resized).JPG

#584 6 years ago

Over the weekend, I watched two very good movies.

"Woman in Gold" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404425/ - Historical Drama - It's the story of a woman (Helen Mirren) who challenges the Austrian Government in court for the rights to a family painting that was stolen by the Nazis during WWII. Her young lawyer (Ryan Reynolds). It closely follows the storyline of the real world event. It's well done, and I highly recommend it. 7.5 popcorns.

"Black Mass" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/ - Historical Criminal Drama - It's the story of how the FBI helped create one of the biggest Crime Lords ever. Whitey Bulger (Johnny Depp) takes over the Boston Crime Syndicate with the protection of the FBI since he is an informant that is helping bring down the Mafia. Many well known actors are in this movie. The story is fast paced and well executed. It's a riveting story, especially when you realize that it is based on real life events. It's full of gangster murders and Depp does an outstanding job of portraying Bulger. I give it 8.5 popcorns.

Marcus

#585 6 years ago

I know it's not a movie.. I just watched a wonderful story about Robert Gagno on HBO's Real Sports. Here's the HBO trailer video:

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/242-episode/video/pinball-wizard-autistic-pinball-champion-trailer.html?autoplay=true

#586 6 years ago

Trainspotting 2:

It's fantastic to have a true sequel and wanting to catch up with characters you gave a shit about 20 years ago.

It's poignant about reaching middle age and wondering what the fuck went wrong.

It's lovely that you get to see Spuds journey on becoming a better person for his ex wife and kid.

Begbie and Sick Boy, harsh and villainous as ever.

Side note: I'm English and could have done with some subtitles at times. The Scottish accent is thick as molasses

Fuck remakes and reboots. I want to see what these characters have been up to.

Now let's have a bit more of that.

I want to see what Jack Burton has been up to the last thirty years

#587 6 years ago

This one's going back a few years, but "Mother Night" is one of my favorite movies and if you're a fan of Kurt Vonnegut, it's a very good adaptation of his book. I'd like to hear opinions from anyone else who's seen it, I always ask but no one has ever heard of it, much less seen it. The soundtrack also makes wonderful use of Arvo Pärt's minimalist style, if you're a classical music fan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117093/

#588 6 years ago

Just saw Wonder Woman. Terrible Terrible movie.

" For only love can save the world"

#589 6 years ago

I liked WW

#590 6 years ago

I want to go see Wonder Woman but my expectations aren't very high.

I hate her theme. That electric guitar riff gives me traumatic flashbacks to BvS.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, they were running that in New Zealand this weekend too. If I was there I'd go.
They've also been running Alien and Aliens at the cinema too.
rd

Did you know that Covenant was filmed in Milford Sound? My husband and I just watched it last night. One of the early scenes had a ship landing on a planet with mountains and waterfalls. My husband immediately said he thought it was Doubtful (we spent three days sea kayaking in Doubtful earlier this year as part of a trip to NZ). Turns out it was Milford - so close enough.

Covenant was good - it makes Prometheus make sense. But nothing will ever be as good as the original. Talk about standing the test of time. I'm watching it again now because I'm a huge fan and my husband just left on a business trip (and isn't around to ask me why the heck I'm watching it for like the 30th time).

#592 6 years ago

I've heard both good and bad things about Wonder Woman, but man, idk, I just can't get excited for any of these superhero movies. They're so corporate.

Quoted from scylla:

I'm watching it again now because I'm a huge fan and my husband just left on a business trip (and isn't around to ask me why the heck I'm watching it for like the 30th time).

hahaha

#593 6 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

Did you know that Covenant was filmed in Milford Sound?.

Indeed I did. I picked it as soon as I saw the trailer.

rd

#594 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Indeed I did. I picked it as soon as I saw the trailer.
rd

Of course you would have.

We had the best time there. Ended up in Manapouri for a couple of nights afterwards. Locals were hilarious and very welcoming - and we even found pinball at this odd campground.

#595 6 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

Of course you would have.
We had the best time there. Ended up in Manapouri for a couple of nights afterwards. Locals were hilarious and very welcoming - and we even found pinball at this odd campground.

I know the guy who owns those pinballs.

Did you go to the underground hydro power station? Pretty amazing ...

rd

#596 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I've heard both good and bad things about Wonder Woman, but man, idk, I just can't get excited for any of these superhero movies. They're so corporate.

Indeed. They pretty much all follow the same format...

Hero introduced
Hero meets love interest
Bad guy does something very bad
Hero and bad guy have an extremely prolonged fight
Hero wins
Love interest is happy
End

I haven't seen WW but I bet it is much the same.

Mind you, with an $100m opening weekend, why would the studios ever change the format? They're laughing all the way to the bank.

rd

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I know the guy who owns those pinballs.
Did you go to the underground hydro power station? Pretty amazing ...
rd

We actually stayed at the campground. He and his wife (?) were very nice. His collection of old cars is something else. And of course pinball...

Missed the underground hydro station. Next time!

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Indeed. They pretty much all follow the same format...
Hero introduced
Hero meets love interest
Bad guy does something very bad
Hero and bad guy have an extremely prolonged fight
Hero wins
Live interest is happy
End
I haven't seen WW but I bet it is much the same.
Mind you, with an $100m opening weekend, why would the studios ever change the format? They're laughing all the way to the bank.
rd

Hah, yeah, I know they'll just churn these out for years. They feel like they're designed by committee. I didn't even like Deadpool or Guardians, because even those felt like a bunch of people in suits sat around with big graphs and sheets showing them exactly how weird or offensive they could be before their market numbers dropped.

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Just saw Wonder Woman. Terrible Terrible movie.
" For only love can save the world"

I enjoyed Wonder Woman. Great theme music! As far as comic book movies, I think WW is better then the latest Batman and Logan films.

#600 6 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Over the weekend, I watched two very good movies.
"Woman in Gold" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404425/ - Historical Drama - It's the story of a woman (Helen Mirren) who challenges the Austrian Government in court for the rights to a family painting that was stolen by the Nazis during WWII. Her young lawyer (Ryan Reynolds). It closely follows the storyline of the real world event. It's well done, and I highly recommend it. 7.5 popcorns.

Agreed...just watch this last night. Good movie...I like a cool "true story".

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.