A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 32.
#451 7 years ago

I saw Logan yesterday and loved it! Second favorite movie in the X universe. Plus the Deadpool Easter egg at the beginning of the movie put me in a great mood.

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Saw Logan a few hours ago, pretty good liked John Wick better though.

Logan was good. Better than the other 2 Wolverine movies for me anyways.

#453 7 years ago

I saw Logan and loved it. I've never been one to care about super heroes or super hero movies (something I mentioned earlier in this thread), but the trailers for Logan really reached out to me and made it seem like it'd go beyond the typical boundaries of its genre and be something I'd love, and after seeing it, I think it absolutely held true to that.

The characters and acting are outstanding, everything feels so relatable that it makes me really care about the characters, and causes the film to just be so much more impactful.

I mention those two things specifically because to me they were the aspects that spoke strongest, but that's not to say they're the only notable portions. Everything else you'd expect to be excellent was: the soundtrack, the writing, the filmography, the action, etc.

Obviously nothing's perfect, so I can't entirely say something deserves a 10/10 rating, but this film is up there for me, and I'd say comes relatively close. With that in mind I'd probably give this movie a 9.5/10.

#454 7 years ago

Wow, did we see the same movie. I just got out of Logan and I saw it as dark and depressing and another Sony movie that screwed up the X Men. They went to another universe and used old Logan which I'll admit I never read but I have to wonder why they can't stick to one Marval Universe and one basic timeline. And where the fuck did they pull this origin of the new mutants from?

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Wow, did we see the same movie. I just got out of Logan and I saw it as dark and depressing and another Sony movie that screwed up the X Men. They went to another universe and used old Logan which I'll admit I never read but I have to wonder why they can't stick to one Marval Universe and one basic timeline. And where the fuck did they pull this origin of the new mutants from?

I imagine the discrepancy comes with our experience in the Marvel/Xmen universe. I've never seen another X-men movie nor read an X-men comic in my life, everything I know about X-men comes from the pinball machine (which is to say I essentially know nothing about X-men).

Since I didn't really know anything there's not any extended universe for me to care about, or things that I expect them to be consistent with. At least in my opinion (which I'm sure will be drastically different than others), it'd really take more movies like this to get me to particularly care about super heroes. I want things to be dark and personal, if these heroes actually existed in the real world this is the kind of story we'd get, and that's something I like a lot.

#456 7 years ago

Yes I do believe that if mutants existed in real life they would be hunted or exploited. That is what the human race does, especially I'm sad to say white people. If it doesn't make them money or give them powers or it cannot be exploited in some way kill it. I would find myself taking the stance of Magneto ove Xavier. I would just kill anyone who fucked with me instead of saving their bacon while they wanted to use me or kill me.

#457 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

another Sony movie

It was a Fox movie. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm a lifelong Wolvie fan. My first comic I bought was a Wolverine #79 in '94 in the toy aisle of Wal-Mart. I was 10years old and that Adam Kubert cover was the greatest thing I ever saw. I collected comics from then till around '97. In that time frame Wolvie had bone claws and was very vulnerable. He also always seemed to be on the road because he quit the X-Men for a time.

This may be why I loved this movie so much.

The X-Men movies have always been a disappointment to me. I was happy to see them come to life but they were never that faithful or showed much love for the source. Singer always screwed them up though DOFP is fun. Vaughn really had something special going with First Class but didn't get a chance to build on it. Mangold's The Wolverine was really good until it veered into schlock with the mech wearing silver samurai. Deadpool is the only great movie to come from the franchise... until this one.

I was unsure if the R rating would work. I was unsure if X-23 would work. But it was amazing. The R rating is used to perfection. The very first line was Fuck and hearing that come from Xavier was jarring but acceptable from this world. The storyline is compelling with surprising twists and moving moments. There were many times my eyes misted up. This was the character I loved as a kid.

Jackman ,while the best thing about the X-movies, was never good enough for me. He was too big and had too many speeches for a character of few words. But as the years wore on he got better along with the scripts. He was perfect in this movie. Reluctant until the very end to help this girl he didn't know.

Patrick Stewart was also very good. He was finally given something meaningful to do. X-23 was great as well. Speaking no words at the beginning and then making her action brutal was the right way to win the audience. I also thought the actor who portrayed Donald Pierce was a standout. While a throwaway character in the comics, he was very cunning and charismatic.

I give it 11 out of ten popcorns. It may be the best comic book movie. It's up there with Dark Knight and Deadpool. It transcends the genre and hopefully more studios will give filmmakers a chance to do something different with their super hero movies.

I also thought Johnny Cash was very fitting at the end. My parents loved it. I may have to see it a third time.

#458 7 years ago

So are these kids going to become the New Mutants?

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It was a Fox movie. Don't know if that makes a difference.
I'm a lifelong Wolvie fan. My first comic I bought was a Wolverine #79 in '94 in the toy aisle of Wal-Mart. I was 10years old and that Adam Kubert cover was the greatest thing I ever saw. I collected comics from then till around '97. In that time frame Wolvie had bone claws and was very vulnerable. He also always seemed to be on the road because he quit the X-Men for a time.
This may be why I loved this movie so much.
The X-Men movies have always been a disappointment to me. I was happy to see them come to life but they were never that faithful or showed much love for the source. Singer always screwed them up though DOFP is fun. Vaughn really had something special going with First Class but didn't get a chance to build on it. Mangold's The Wolverine was really good until it veered into schlock with the mech wearing silver samurai. Deadpool is the only great movie to come from the franchise... until this one.
I was unsure if the R rating would work. I was unsure if X-23 would work. But it was amazing. The R rating is used to perfection. The very first line was Fuck and hearing that come from Xavier was jarring but acceptable from this world. The storyline is compelling with surprising twists and moving moments. There were many times my eyes misted up. This was the character I loved as a kid.
Jackman ,while the best thing about the X-movies, was never good enough for me. He was too big and had too many speeches for a character of few words. But as the years wore on he got better along with the scripts. He was perfect in this movie. Reluctant until the very end to help this girl he didn't know.
Patrick Stewart was also very good. He was finally given something meaningful to do. X-23 was great as well. Speaking no words at the beginning and then making her action brutal was the right way to win the audience. I also thought the actor who portrayed Donald Pierce was a standout. While a throwaway character in the comics, he was very cunning and charismatic.
I give it 11 out of ten popcorns. It may be the best comic book movie. It's up there with Dark Knight and Deadpool. It transcends the genre and hopefully more studios will give filmmakers a chance to do something different with their super hero movies.
I also thought Johnny Cash was very fitting at the end. My parents loved it. I may have to see it a third time.

Great JCD's think alike

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Yes I do believe that if mutants existed in real life they would be hunted or exploited. That is what the human race does, especially I'm sad to say white people. If it doesn't make them money or give them powers or it cannot be exploited in some way kill it. I would find myself taking the stance of Magneto ove Xavier. I would just kill anyone who fucked with me instead of saving their bacon while they wanted to use me or kill me.

All white people are evil and exploitative? I'm not sure what's more bothersome, that you said it, or nobody seems bothered by the statement.

Can't we just talk about movies, music, AT&T, boobs, alcohol, and oh yeah, pinball without sharing our "controversial" beliefs? Good grief!

#461 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So are these kids going to become the New Mutants?

I wouldn't be against it but I don't think that's what they have planned. There's a different New Mutants movie in development.

I think it would be neat if they called a movie involving these kids The Runaways but fans of that comic probably wouldn't like it.

Mangold has said he wants to do an X-23 movie so I'm thinking Fox doesn't have any plans for any of the cast of Logan right now.

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

All white people are evil and exploitative?

No, I never said that but some are and the rich and powerful ones often are. Look what our government did to the Native Americans for example.

The whole premise of the X-Men is that the government wants to control or destroy them because they are afraid that they might become to powerful and take over or to use them and their powers to their advantage.

#463 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I wouldn't be against it but I don't think that's what they have planned. There's a different New Mutants movie in development.
I think it would be neat if they called a movie involving these kids The Runaways but fans of that comic probably wouldn't like it.
Mangold has said he wants to do an X-23 movie so I'm thinking Fox doesn't have any plans for any of the cast of Logan right now.

I thought at first that this would be a lead in for the New Mutants. It isn't how they came to be but they really don't stick to the comics anyway. But, there was no end credit scene leading to another movie. Are these runaway kids strictly out of the Old Logan comics? I don't remember them from the X-Men I read when I was a kid.

#464 7 years ago

I never heard of John Wick until people starting talking about John Wick 2. Is the second one the only note worthy movie or is it like Kill Bill where you need to see both, both are great, but the second is best?

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I thought at first that this would be a lead in for the New Mutants. It isn't how they came to be but they really don't stick to the comics anyway. But, there was no end credit scene leading to another movie. Are these runaway kids strictly out of the Old Logan comics? I don't remember them from the X-Men I read when I was a kid.

You should grab the trade for Old Man Logan. It's pretty good and written by Mark Millar who did Kick Ass and Civil War.

If I remember correctly I don't think X-23 or the rest of the kids were in Old Man Logan. It also included more of the entire Marvel universe with Hulk, Daredevil, and Red Skull having major roles.

Part of me is glad they don't worry about getting in line with the other movies but that they only worry about telling a good movie. That said I don't think they were any inconsistencies with the other movies. DOFP reset the timeline so the fact Xavier was vaporized in Last Stand and Wolvie was without Adamantium after The Wolverine doesn't matter.

#466 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I never heard of John Wick until people starting talking about John Wick 2. Is the second one the only note worthy movie or is it like Kill Bill where you need to see both, both are great, but the second is best?

I thought John Wick 1 was slightly better than 2 maybe because it was new but I would give them the same rating of 8 out of 10.

It's been awhile since I saw one and I don't think it's necessary to see it before two but you will get more references if you do.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I never heard of John Wick until people starting talking about John Wick 2

I was the same. Never heard of it until this thread.

rd

#468 7 years ago

Yeah, people on a radio show I listen to on my way home from work had a segment on JW2. They never talked about the first one because movies aren't usually a big part of the show. Now, I know I need to check both out ASAP. It's perfect because the wife and I are always looking for something good.

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

there was no end credit scene leading to another movie.

I thought it was kind of funny. About half the theater stayed looking for a stinger. I did a quick google search and then left.

I'm glad it didn't have one as it wouldn't have been right for the tone of the ending.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

No, I never said that but some are and the rich and powerful ones often are. Look what our government did to the Native Americans for example.
The whole premise of the X-Men is that the government wants to control or destroy them because they are afraid that they might become to powerful and take over or to use them and their powers to their advantage.

You made negative generalizations about people with a certain skin color. I don't know how the hell else to read that. It's wrong, and has no place here.

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Yeah, people on a radio show I listen to on my way home from work had a segment on JW2. They never talked about the first one because movies aren't usually a big part of the show. Now, I know I need to check both out ASAP. It's perfect because the wife and I are always looking for something good.

My son and I love the JW movies but my wife would never watch them. They are all out action violence. I'm partial to the first one because that is your introduction to the character and his "style" of fighting.

#472 7 years ago

Hell or High Water
Strong characters played well by all involved with beautiful cinematography and soundtrack. Bit heavy on the social commentary re the banks foreclosing on properties, keeping the poor poor etc but very good besides. 8/10

Nocturnal Animals
Knew nothing about this before watching and it was a roller coaster ride from start to finish! Incredibly tense throughout telling a story within a story. Warning, very strange opening credits! 9/10

#473 7 years ago

Logan and John Wick 2 were decent. Get Out was great.

#474 7 years ago

Anybody seen Kong yet? I'm thinking about going.

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Anybody seen Kong yet? I'm thinking about going.

I did a few days ago, and I thought it was really great! Great action and special effects. Some good actors too (Samuel Jackson among them). IMAX made the movie all the more immersive and huge than watching it on a regular screen. I recommend that all the way.

On a different note, prior to Kong I saw Get Out. Was sorta spoiled going into it, but still I found it a riveting, thought-provoking and genuinely scary movie (in its own special and creative way). Also -- much to my surprise -- laugh-out loud funny at some parts. Amazing how this was Jordan Peele's debut film as a director...

2 weeks later
#476 7 years ago

Ghost in the Shell

Firstly, I haven't seen the anime, so I'm a blank canvas. Movies based on Animes often differ from the Anime anyway, as anyone who has seen Death Note anime/live action movies can attest.

The film was mostly shot in NZ, and all the visuals were done by Weta Digital in NZ. They're saying the film added $85m NZD to the NZ economy. Thanks Hollywood!

I liked it. Visually stunning to watch in IMAX. Some might say it is a bit slow, and while it has some good action scenes it certainly isn't a full on action movie. The plot isn't the deepest in the world, but kept me interested for 100 minutes.

Minor quibble, it's supposed to be set in future Tokyo (at least in the anime) but the landscape/background is clearly Hong Kong. Anyone who's been to either place can spot that instantly. You can even see some of the landmark architecture in some of the shots.

My personal Popcorns - 8. I liked it.

Added bonus: the cinema in Corpus Christi had 3 nice pinball machines. Downer: the token machine was out of order.

rd

IMG_5347 (resized).JPGIMG_5347 (resized).JPG

#477 7 years ago

A Monster Calls just came out on digital and on demand. I thought it was great.

1 week later
#478 7 years ago

I saw Ghost in the Shell. Pretty good visually. It tries to be a whodunnit mystery but the plot is pretty basic. CG Scarlett was distracting. Put her in a nude suit and call it a day. I loved seeing Beat Takeshi. 7/10

I'd like to rewatch the anime to compare.

#479 7 years ago

I've been watching a lot of 70s and 80s movies since getting into CEDs and VHSes. Enough to where when I watched Kong a few weeks back I told my brother Alison Brie's wardrobe wasn't period correct because she was wearing a bra.

The Anderson Tapes-6/10 Basic 70s heist movie with a subtext on police surveillance methods that were pretty new to the time. Quincy Jones electronic based soundtrack is the highlight.

Into The Night-5/10 The movie is stylish with 80s beauties Goldbloom and Pfeiffer but the plot is nothing and boring. B.B.King soundtrack is awesome.

Dr. Giggles-8/10 Really enjoyed the satirical humor in this one. Last of the slasher movies for awhile, the Doctor constantly spews medically related puns while killing people in different and unique ways.

#480 7 years ago

Saw The Fate of The Furious friday all I can really say is

#481 7 years ago

Agree. Fan of the series, but the loss of Walkers character is felt and takes the heart of the series away.
Fate is a just a so so action movie -nothing new.
A cash grab for sure, put this car on blocks- it's done.

#482 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Saw The Fate of The Furious friday all I can really say is

Quoted from Vino:

Agree. Fan of the series, but the loss of Walkers character is felt and takes the heart of the series away.
Fate is a just a so so action movie -nothing new.
A cash grab for sure, put this car on blocks- it's done.

Check reviews before you go. It's going to hit $100M on opening weekend and the only way to stop mediocre movies is to ignore them. Vin Diesel isn't getting hired for any movies other than this and XXX, so he's going to keep making them for as long as he can.

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Check reviews before you go. It's going to hit $100M on opening weekend and the only way to stop mediocre movies is to ignore them. Vin Diesel isn't getting hired for any movies other than this and XXX, so he's going to keep making them for as long as he can.

I hear you, the only reason we went was wife likes the fast and furious movies for some reason, i liked a couple of them but this one was just crap.

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Don't forget he can always return to making Riddick movies and stretching his acting chops in Guardians.

#485 7 years ago

I watched A Stranger Is Watching with Kate Mulgrew before Star Trek and Rip Torn. It was directed by the director of the first Friday the 13th so I was hoping for something good but it was pretty bad. The stalker/killer guy was so bumbling and inept it was funny. The ending was also trash.

3/10

#486 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Don't forget he can always return to making Riddick movies and stretching his acting chops in Guardians.

Haha, he was awesome in GotG and Iron Giant!

#487 7 years ago

I saw "Lion" yesterday.

It was fantastic! Riveting story based on real life events. Excellent acting. Inspirational.

And if you are not careful, allergies can strike.

I give it 9 popcorns.

Marcus

#488 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I saw "Lion" yesterday.
It was fantastic! Riveting story based on real life events. Excellent acting. Inspirational.
And if you are not careful, allergies can strike.
I give it 9 popcorns.
Marcus

Awesome! Hoping to buy the digital code for that soon along with La La Land.

#489 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Maybe they could pull off an "Iron Giant " sequel.

#490 7 years ago

I know its lame, but just watched Rogue One over the weekend. I was waiting for an excuse to buy in 3D, and we had a couple gift cards left over from my son's birthday. It was good, but didn't give me the same kick ass feeling after watching The Force Awakens. It's still 1,000 percent better than EP I, II, and III.

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I know its lame, but just watched Rogue One over the weekend

I wasn't aware that it was "lame" .. all my Star Wars buddies liked it. And we know what those dudes are like ...

I'm not a Star Wars guy, I enjoyed it.

rd

#492 7 years ago

My TV in the basement finally crapped out (and old Samsung DLP) so I'm moving my upstairs plasma down to the basement and replacing it with our first 4k TV. Got a great deal on a Sony XBR 65".

So now I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my AVR and get a UHD 4k Blu-ray player? Not sure if I want to get into that or not... probably will.

Sorry for the OT post.

#493 7 years ago

American Assassin ... looks promising ...

rd

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Does that mean the all-male team in Ocean's 11 is also unrealistic?

What is the percentage of male criminals vs female criminals. I would say a all male team is more realistic than all female.

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My TV in the basement finally crapped out (and old Samsung DLP) so I'm moving my upstairs plasma down to the basement and replacing it with our first 4k TV. Got a great deal on a Sony XBR 65".
So now I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my AVR and get a UHD 4k Blu-ray player? Not sure if I want to get into that or not... probably will.
Sorry for the OT post.

Inbox got a 4K tv and later bought the 4K blue ray and it is a noticeable difference.

#496 7 years ago

Netflix surprise the other night for me...Seeking a friend for the end of the world. Pretty good flick. World is ending in 21 days. WhAt do you do? Steve Carrell and Kiera Knightly. Kind of slow but pretty mind provocaing and fun.

#497 7 years ago

Anyone into Anime? I'm watching One-Punch Man on Netflix. Subtitles only but the show is great. 9.5 pops!

#498 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Anyone into Anime? I'm watching One-Punch Man on Netflix. Subtitles only but the show is great. 9.5 pops!

Totally agree. Just recently started watching it on Spectrum on demand. Definitely fun! Got hooked on the first episode. Unfortunately with a vacation coming up, I'll have to put it on hold for a couple of weeks.

#499 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Death Note is great.

If you want to watch something weird, watch BENTO. To give away the plot, gangs of teenagers assemble at the supermarket to await the discounting of bento boxes at closing time, and have massive fights over the best bento. It's LOL and also quite sexed up ....

rd

#500 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sorry for the OT post.

It's right on topic to me.

I've been reading about HDR and it sounds pretty cool. I've been a fan of OLED for awhile and I'm going to make that my next screen purchase. I'm not in a hurry though so hopefully the price continues to drop and I can get one for cheap.

I love watching old movies in HD. Black and white is even better.

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.