A42B4B46-2501-4FE1-922D-254F519BF735 (resized).jpeg
The last Blockbuster (resized).jpg
barbarian_ver2_xlg (resized).jpg
L.A. Confidential (resized).jpg
Entrapment (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220602-130119 (resized).png
Top_Gun_Maverick_Poster (resized).jpg
785ED4D9-1012-4E30-B7D5-382190FDA156 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 32.
#1 7 years ago

Here's the thread to discuss all things movie ... New releases, upcoming releases, new trailers, reviews, and old favourites.

Go forth and discuss!

rd

#2 7 years ago

I encourage everyone to rate the movies you see, as you personally rate them.

Don't be afraid to go against the flow!! Say it as you see it!! If you think the Ghostbusters reboot is solid gold, rate it highly!

The scale we shall use in this thread is the kernel of Popcorn scale, from 1-10.

1 Popcorn = bad, I am off to scorch out my eyeballs with a burning pencil

10 Popcorns = the second coming of the messiah.

rd

#3 7 years ago

Finally watched Downfall last night. I missed it in the theatres when it was released back in 2004, and every time I see a Pinside Hitler video I say "I gotta find that movie!" Finally got around to it. Hey, good things take time!

What a great movie.

My personal assessment of what makes a "great movie" is when I wake up the day after I watched it, and I'm thinking about the movie. It was obviously interesting enough to me that I am still thinking about it.

With recent discussion being about GhostBusters reboot and Suicide Squad .. I have to report that I did not awaken with those movies running through my head. Thus .. Not great movies.

If you haven't seen Downfall, track it down. It's in German with subtitles for extra cred.

The RD score: 9/10 Popcorns.

rd

#4 7 years ago

Downfall was a very sobering movie to watch. Incredible film.

Would like to hear what others say about Suicide Squad.....havent seen it yet. Ive heard its ok, but nothing great

#5 7 years ago

I thought this was hilarious....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4176826/

#6 7 years ago

Have you seen it? I've never heard of it.

Looks pretty cool, I will try and track it down.

rd

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Would like to hear what others say about Suicide Squad.....havent seen it yet. Ive heard its ok, but nothing great

I was underwhelmed TBH.

I posted a review in the GB thread ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-new-ghostbusters-reboot-thread/page/9#post-3288847

rd

#8 7 years ago

Watched the new Jason Bourne movie and it was as billed, an action packed movie. Lots of action (at some points too much, where it is distracting to follow the story line) and stunt work but, the story line was lacking for me. I mean it was to similar to the previous movies. I know to some extent it has to have similar ingredients but that still leaves room for a new direction. Still worth seeing if your into the Bourne story.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Have you seen it? I've never heard of it.
Looks pretty cool, I will try and track it down.
rd

It's funny as hell. The translations are sometimes a little rough. It's kind of like Hitler meets Borat. The actor portraying Hitler plays it straight the whole movie. Sometimes the response is what you would expect and sometimes it's not.

#10 7 years ago

So, today, as I lie in bed looking pale and ill, as I am, I write a review for the beautifully animated film, When Marnie Was There.

When Marnie Was There, or Omoide no Marnie (as in Japanese), is a Japanese film produced by the Studio Ghibli team. The film is based off of the book by Joan G. Robinson.

IMDb sums it up pretty well in the summary of...
"Upon being sent to live with relatives in the countryside, an emotionally distant adolescent girl becomes obsessed with an abandoned mansion and infatuated with a girl who lives there - a girl [last part remove because I don't wanna give anything away]."

I went to see this film last year when it was on at the Auckland Film Festival, and boy, I do not regret it. The people around me probably regretted going to see it though, as I cried from about 5 minutes into the film until after the credits. I literally cried and sniffled the whole way through this film. At the time I would have been getting extremely emotionally attached to this film and I just wanted to hug these fictional characters and I wanted to be in that movie with them. I would like to take a minute to say how I was on the Studio Ghibli bandwagon at the time of viewing this film, so my opinion was biased because I absolutely loved them. Continuing on...

So the first thing in the movie, basically, that happens is that Anna (the protagonist of this story) is sent off on a train with her bag to go live with some of her relatives for a while. Anna is pretty bloody depressed, so of course if you don't like that then you're gonna be angry at her for being 'a depressed and selfish teen'. But it adds to the film. It just does. It feels real... Well to an extent. I cried. I cried at the start of the film because if I was sent away from my mama I'd be quite upset, but yeah hahah, continuing on again...

So it takes a good while until she actually stumbles upon the mansion and meets Marnie. That is all I'm going to say because I don't want to give anything away oh goodness it's too good.

when-marnie-was-there-oscar-3_(resized).pngwhen-marnie-was-there-oscar-3_(resized).png

There is detail in the animation, as I hope you can see by this picture. If you are familiar with the style of Studio Ghibli, then it's pretty much the same. I say that ignoring the movie 'My Neighbors The Yamadas', because that did have a wayyyy different approach to animation than the rest of the films that Studio Ghibli has made.

I really, really liked the characters in this film. I found myself getting super attached to the characters, which does not happen in many films that I watch, and I felt so involved in this movie.

I thought that the plot was totally flawless at the time, but of course now that would change if I rewatched the movie.

I think it was more the time of my life that I was at that made me really, really love this film. I think if I watched it now then I would have a very different view of the film and the plot. My father, who took me to see the movie at the time (thnx papa Peck), guessed where the plot was going about 15 minutes into the film. I was too busy crying my eyes out to notice it hahahaha.

At the time of watching it, and for a long time after my original watching of When Marnie Was There, I would have given it a solid 10/10.

Now, however, both looking back on myself and the film at that time, I think if I were to rewatch it, I would probably give the movie a 8/10 popcorns.

Omiode_no_Marnie_poster_(resized).jpgOmiode_no_Marnie_poster_(resized).jpg

I think this could also be considered a very feminine family film (such alliteration!), but I still recommend it if you want to go on a magical emotional trip. I do not guarantee that you will like it, or that you will bawl your eyes out after seeing it, but I personally enjoyed it.

My next review will probably be a combo of Spirited Away, and then My Neighbor Totoro as well.

#11 7 years ago

I was at the same screening of When Marnie Was There, and I can confirm that I also had a tear in my eye. Great movie, and I'm not a Ghibli fanboy. Well, I'm not really a fanboy of anything.

The RD Rating - 8/10 Popcorns. Very good.

rd

#12 7 years ago

I haven't seen When Marnie Was There (yet), but I did really enjoy Only Yesterday, which was recently released in America for (I think) the first time. A little slight but the overall story was nice. I really appreciate Ghibli's style, attention to detail, and willingness to go slow in their narratives.

#13 7 years ago

PSA - I just read that the NZ Metal splatter movie DEATHGASM is on Netflix in the USA ... Go watch it. It's kiwiana at its finest. One of the local pinball guys (Tim) did all the special effects for it.

Metal + chainsaws + 1000000 litres of fake blood = winner.

rd

#14 7 years ago

National Lampoons Vacation. Best movie ever made Russ.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

When Marnie Was There

Just bought the book for my daughter...I'll read it too.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

National Lampoons Vacation. Best movie ever made Russ.

It's up there. Lots of classic moments in that one.

rd

#17 7 years ago

My last six Netflix movies. Nightcrawler, The Sting, Chef, Electric Boogaloo, I Love You Philip Morris, Goosebumps

Nightcrawler - 7/10 popcorns - An enjoyable look at sensationistic journalism and the ambulance chasing cameramen. Great performances and a great car chase at the end.

The Sting - 7/10 - Loved the visuals, music, art direction, costumes, and cast. It felt like going back in time to early 30s Chicago.

Chef - 6/10 - Fun and easy look at a Chef and his son's relationship. Great Cuban Soundtrack.

Electric Boogaloo - 8/10 - Very interesting and fun. Shows the B movie making side of Hollywood in the 80s from Cannon Films.

I Love You Philip Morris - 6/10 - Kind of forgettable but still amusing. It had a Catch Me If You Can vibe but without Spielberg's expertise.

Goosebumps - 5/10 - Despite the terrible CGI, I still had fun watching this. The Dummy was really great.

#18 7 years ago

Thanks for the Downfall recommendation. I always wondered what movie that was.

Look Who's Back is on Netflix.

Thanks for the When Marnie Was There recommendation. I'm a big animation lover but still haven't watched any Studio Ghibli movies. Been wanting to watch Porco Rosso for the aviator pig.

If you want an animation recommendation, check out Song of the Sea. I really love that movie. I recently got into a discussion of what was the best animation of 2014 with most people naming How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Big Hero 6. I had to add Song of the Sea. It's that good.

#19 7 years ago

Movies in theaters I've seen recently: Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters, Suicide Squad, The Conjuring 2, Batman The Killing Joke Rifftrax MST3K reunion, Secret Life of Pets

Star Trek Beyond - 7/10 - It was fun and definitely the best reboot movie yet. It did drag at the beginning a little.

Suicide Squad - 5/10 - The cast is great but a lot of unnecessary characters and unexplained instances. The editing and structure makes it crazy confusing. I had fun watching it though for the most part.

Ghostbusters - 3/10 - Pretty boring. Script and dialogue was terrible. Direction was nonexistent. The tech was cool at times and the CGI impressed occasionally.

The Conjuring 2 - 7/10 - Very fun and creepy. The first scary movie I've watched in theaters in a long time. I was glad it was daylight when I came out. I got goosebumps a couple of times.

Batman the Killing Joke - 6/10 - They did an admirable job with the added material but it ultimately fell flat, out of place, and unnecessary. The original story though was great and it was cool to hear Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy. I'm glad I went to see it. Big crowd.

Rifftrax MST3K reunion - 10/10 - I laughed so hard I cried. They must have saved their best stuff for this because very few jokes missed the mark. Shake Hands with Danger was the highlight. It may not play as well alone at home as it did in the theater.

Secret Life of Pets - 6/10 - Amusing but forgettable. Kevin Hart's bunny rabbit was the most memorable.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sausage Party, Hell or High Water, and Blood Father. Also I might go see Rifftrax Mothra.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nightcrawler - 7/10 popcorns - An enjoyable look at sensationistic journalism and the ambulance chasing cameramen. Great performances and a great car chase at the end.

I gotta say, I was disappointed with that one. Looked really good in the trailer, but the movie lacked "creepy" for me. Yet another missed opportunity to really make something stunning, instead sinking back in to mediocrity.

But the lead character looked like George Gomez so that was cool.

The RD score on Nightcrawler: 6/10 Popcorns.

And that's what's cool about this thread, we can all air our opinions, everyone sees things different. What's cool to one is maybe not so much to another. Everyone's opinion is valid.

rd

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I gotta say, I was disappointed with that one. Looked really good in the trailer, but the movie lacked "creepy" for me. Yet another missed opportunity to really make something stunning, instead sinking back in to mediocrity.
But the lead character looked like George Gomez so that was cool.
The RD score on Nightcrawler: 6/10 Popcorns.
And that's what's cool about this thread, we can all air our opinions, everyone sees things different. What's cool to one is maybe not so much to another. Everyone's opinion is valid.
rd

Yep I could see giving it a six but I won't change it now. The soundtrack is what was missing for me. I expected a synth/thumping soundtrack like Drive and instead got a conventional one that didn't do anything for me. You're right about missed opportunity. Still one the best action sequences at the end though. Really unexpected which might have made so good.

All scores have a margin of error of +/- 1 point.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I gotta say, I was disappointed with that one. Looked really good in the trailer, but the movie lacked "creepy" for me.

The guy never blinked ONCE. He was fucking CREEPY.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Finally watched Downfall last night. I missed it in the theatres when it was released back in 2004, and every time I see a Pinside Hitler video I say "I gotta find that movie!" Finally got around to it. Hey, good things take time!
What a great movie.
My personal assessment of what makes a "great movie" is when I wake up the day after I watched it, and I'm thinking about the movie. It was obviously interesting enough to me that I am still thinking about it.
With recent discussion being about GhostBusters reboot and Suicide Squad .. I have to report that I did not awaken with those movies running through my head. Thus .. Not great movies.
If you haven't seen Downfall, track it down. It's in German with subtitles for extra cred.
The RD score: 9/10 Popcorns.
rd

Yeah the whole movie is riveting.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Rifftrax MST3K reunion - 10/10 - I laughed so hard I cried. They must have saved their best stuff for this because very few jokes missed the mark. Shake Hands with Danger was the highlight. It may not play as well alone at home as it did in the theater.
Secret Life of Pets - 6/10 - Amusing but forgettable. Kevin Hart's bunny rabbit was the most memorable.
I'm looking forward to seeing Sausage Party, Hell or High Water, and Blood Father. Also I might go see Rifftrax Mothra.

I have to get back into the Rifftrax stuff. MST3K was a ritual.

Here is a blast from the past movie. 1977 Wizards - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_(film)

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah the whole movie is riveting.

Funnily enough, the day after I watched Downfall, there was a doco on History Channel about the last days of Berlin. Their footage echoed what was shown in Downfall, right down to the shaking hands (Parkinson's diesease) and the scene of Hitler giving the medals out to the soldier kids (including Peter)

Obviously the Downfall makers really did their research before they made the movie.

rd

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

My next review will probably be a combo of Spirited Away, and then My Neighbor Totoro as well.

Spirited Away is good stuff.

I'm too cheap to go to the theatre these days, and in that vein, my all time favorite movie is Clerks.

#27 7 years ago

I refuse to bump the GB16 thread because that subject is done. So I'll continue about Ocean's Eight the sequel/reboot of Ocean's Eleven here.

The Clooney/Pitt movie is one of my all time favorites and the sequels are very good as well. Looking it up now though, it has some definite talent in the cast. Gary Ross writer/director is a little hit and miss and that's a big deal because Soderburgh was so instrumental in Ocean's Eleven's success. He's a great writer/director.

#28 7 years ago

Soderbergh is great. Sex Lies & Videotape is still riveting, as is Erin Brockovich, and Gray's Anatomy introduced me to Spalding Gray, who's amazing. His Solaris isn't better than Tarkovsky's, but the soundtrack is super, super cool and chill.

#29 7 years ago

(pasted)EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York for Ocean’s Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identified Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina. The latter is the hip-hop moniker of Asian-American rapper and actress Nora Lum, who most recently had a role in Neighbors 2. (End)

My question: why?

If you want to continue Oceans 11, get those dudes back and make a new episode. Those movies were great.

If you want to make a movie with 8 ladies, make a different movie. Create a new franchise.

Why the f**k would you feel the need to make Oceans 11 with ladies?

Hollywood has jumped the shark I'm afraid. F**king clueless.

rd

#30 7 years ago

Eh, can't be worse than Ocean's 12.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Sex Lies & Videotape is still riveting

I need to watch that again. I watched it when I was younger and it didn't leave an impression.

Quoted from trunchbull:

Blasphemy!

I love how twelve flipped the script. They went from being very professional and state of the art to using second hand equipment and being on a budget. The ending did tie things up too nicely though.

Quoted from rotordave:

If you want to make a movie with 8 ladies, make a different movie. Create a new franchise.

Agree with you there. I hate hard reboots in general. Soft reboots are preferred if they have to do it. Create a new team but somehow tie it to the old movies. I am amused by the idea that they could make a bunch of Ocean's # movies and eventually fill in the numbers from 1 to 13.

An all female team doesn't seem like it would happen in real life because most people just want the best person for the job. They don't care about gender. If you're doing a con job it would seem like you would need different kinds of people as well.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

To be honest, I can't remember. Long time since I've seen it.

I very rarely watch a movie more than once. Because I already know what happens.

Movies I have seen more than once (from memory..)
Star Wars
Shawshank
Matrix 1
Kick ass
Oceans 11 (Clooney version)
Clockwork orange
Ghostbusters (original)
American vacation
Wouldn't be too many more than that.

rd

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

To be honest, I can't remember. Long time since I've seen it.
I very rarely watch a movie more than once. Because I already know what happens.
Movies I have seen more than once (from memory..)
Star Wars
Shawshank
Matrix 1
Kick ass
Oceans 11 (Clooney version)
Clockwork orange
Ghostbusters (original)
American vacation
Wouldn't be too many more than that.
rd

That's a good list. I'm kind of embarrassed to say I've never seen Shawshank Redemption. It's seems like good comedies are always a good repeat viewing. Bull Durham is movie I love to watch over and over.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

An all female team doesn't seem like it would happen in real life because most people just want the best person for the job. They don't care about gender. If you're doing a con job it would seem like you would need different kinds of people as well.

Does that mean the all-male team in Ocean's 11 is also unrealistic?

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Does that mean the all-male team in Ocean's 11 is also unrealistic?

Yes and why in the sequels they added females to the team.

#36 7 years ago

I just watched Sin City: A Dame to Kill for. I'll give it 5 Eva Greens out of 5 for the visuals. Overall 4 popcorns out of 10.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I just watched Sin City: A Dame to Kill for. I'll give it 5 Eva Greens out of 5 for the visuals. Overall 4 popcorns out of 10.

Man that was a disappointing movie. I loved the first and couldn't wait for the second. Then they take 9 years to make the sequel and recast Dwight with Josh Brolin.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's a good list. I'm kind of embarrassed to say I've never seen Shawshank Redemption. It's seems like good comedies are always a good repeat viewing. Bull Durham is movie I love to watch over and over.

I never get tired of The Shawshank Redemption. I have no idea why. Dances with Wolves is another I can watch again and again.

#39 7 years ago

War Dogs review

Just went to see War Dogs. Enjoyed it.

Very much a Wolf of Wall Street type of movie, based on a Rolling Stone article about two guys who did some gun running deals for the US Government and it all turned to custard.

The first 2/3rds of the movie are really good, with some good LOL moments (similar to TWOWS) but it does slow down a little towards the end.

All the actors play good parts, Jonah Hill packed on a bunch of weight for it and got a neat spray tan too Every time he does his funny laugh, I cracked up.

I liked it! Not as good as TWOWS but I may be biased on that as I really liked the TWOWS book.

The RD popcorn rating on War Dogs: 8/10 Popcorns Maybe 8.5/10. I don't feel bad about spending $12 on the ticket.

rd

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

recast Dwight with Josh Brolin.

That's how the comic book is. Dwight has cosmetic surgery. The timeline of the comics is very confusing just like the movie.

#41 7 years ago

Half pops? Come on RD!!!!!!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

- Agreed Worth the watch. If you have Netflix spend a few hours on Nightcrawler - 7/10 pops

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Goosebumps - 5/10 - Despite the terrible CGI, I still had fun watching this. The Dummy was really great.

- It was fun but could have been better. Sort of like a drunken night out in Rio. 4/10pops.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

That's how the comic book is. Dwight has cosmetic surgery. The timeline of the comics is very confusing just like the movie.

I guess you haven't seen the movie because they do that in A Dame to Kill for but they just put prosthetics on Josh Brolin. If they would have cast Josh Brolin as the post Op Dwight that might have been cool. I just really liked Clive Owen doing an American accent from the first movie. It sounds unique and weird like Bob Hoskins from Roger Rabbit.

#44 7 years ago

For Sci-Fi give me the real classics and/or the ones I grew up on.

Forbidden Planet, Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing from another Planet / Logan's Run, Rollerball, What's Up, Tiger Lily?

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

For Sci-Fi give me the real classics and/or the ones I grew up on.
Forbidden Planet, Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing from another Planet / Logan's Run, Rollerball, What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Watched Logan's Run recently. Not as good as I remember when I was a kid. The best 2 things about that movie were Jessica-6's boobs.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Watched Logan's Run recently. Not as good as I remember when I was a kid. The best 2 things about that movie were Jessica-6's boobs.

Yes, it is just a quick side boob shot when changing in the Box scene but awesome as a kid. Also "The Love Shop" and Farrah Fawcett.

I thought it would be a great Pin. Re-theme a POTC. Use a New You shop at the Mix Master, Chapel for the ship and Box for the Chest. Final wizard mode is Renewal. The jewel symbol for inserts with color changing with aging.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

One of these things is not like the others......................

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

One of these things is not like the others......................

Just checking to see if people are reading what others post or just throwing there own stuff up.

I almost said Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Best is you recognize the movies the cut from. Real test of old school.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I almost said Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Best is you recognize the movies the cut from. Real test of old school.

It's been a very long time since I saw that, but I remember it being pretty cleverly done. Might have to drag it up for a rewatch.

rd

#50 7 years ago

Bad Moms review

I feel like I need to start with a small disclaimer; I don't go movies that often, and my wife really really wanted to see bad moms so I thought why not. I really wanted to see the new Star Trek, but she wanted this more - the things we do for love

Bad moms is an occasionally funny movie targeted at middle ages moms, preferably stuck in unhappy marriages, overbooked activity schedules and unrealistic expectations. It's about moms cutting loose and attempting to let go of the pressures and stress they are under not to mention the inherent guilt all mothers seem to feel. The actors are pretty good, and definitely rowdy, rude and crude at times.

The movie seemed to resonate well with the female oriented audience, and my wife enjoyed it too. There was only one other man in the audience, and we exchanged understanding looks after the movie

So, as a male I was definitely in the target audience but I can see the movie working for those it is targeted for.
Verdict - Men, save your popcorn for another movie!

There are 1,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-movie-discussion-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.