57999AFD-06E2-4F09-9A54-F2CBC5C63798 (resized).jpeg
BE44BDD1-EA20-4FE8-AEE8-E08C2E1A0ACC (resized).jpeg
0838500B-B6CB-463D-874C-D680FD6328E2 (resized).jpeg
C7FAC4C5-32B5-488F-8CA8-8F90B156B63F (resized).jpeg
759775A7-F5C8-4E15-A02A-D2D593E5FC4E (resized).jpeg
4AD81C5B-67B4-41DD-B0EB-2709761AD5AD (resized).jpeg
96900868-861B-4D9B-8F28-166EA2150446 (resized).jpeg
2DC55DBA-C59E-4656-85FC-963F1ED0398C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I’m creating this thread so you can share your favourite hard rock and metal bands to like minded fans of the genre.

Personally, I define hard rock/metal as maybe Led Zeppelin/Sabbath/Deep Purple through to Lamb of God at the harder end. Heavy metal music is defined by great guitar work, thunderous drumming and soaring vocals.

When the vocals get “un-understandable”, there is a death metal thread created for fans of that genre. Feel free to migrate to that thread and share your favourite music.

Feel free to intelligently discuss others posts ... however, moronic posters of “that sucks” and the like will be ejected from the thread. Life’s far too short for that crap.

Go forth and share your love of metal!

Dave.

6AA4891D-EBE2-4486-83C6-B6C9AC5E4CA9 (resized).jpeg6AA4891D-EBE2-4486-83C6-B6C9AC5E4CA9 (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

Let’s kick it off with some classic stuff.

Ronnie James Dio at the peak of his game.

Ritchie Blackmore pissed off with Deep Purple and out to show them who’s the boss.

Kill the King.

rd

#13 6 years ago

Last year I had the privilege to be at the Killswitch Engage show in Auckland .. they were playing the whole Alive or Just Breathing album for the 10th anniversary of its release.

Just an awesome show.

Here’s some of it from Canada.

rd

#14 6 years ago

Slightly old news, but Judas Priest have released the first song off their new album Firepower, due out soon.

rd

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I was fortunate enough to see RJD during his Master of the Moon tour as well as when he reunited with Black Sabbath as "Heaven and Hell."
He may have began to peak in the 70s, but I'm certain that peak never dipped for the rest of his career. A nearly unmatched performer/writer until the end, and the fact you could always see that he loved what he was doing puts him over the top for me

I would concur.

Pretty much all of his output was top notch. Maybe a couple of dips in the middle of the Dio albums, but pretty darn good across the board.

Alas, the only time I ever got to see him live was with Heaven and Hell in Auckland. Dio never came to NZ. I missed Dio by a week in Las Vegas around 2000, which I was totally bummed about.

rd

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I've never met anyone that has any idea who Saxon is. I first discovered them when Unleash the Beast was released

I’ve got the first 8 albums, but sort of fell off the train after that. I had to look up Unleash the Beast to see what it was.

Back in the 80s Saxon were one of the biggest bands of the NWOBHM. They never really caught on outside of Europe though.

They played at Wacken last year. And they’re down to support Priest on their upcoming US tour.

rd

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

R.I.P. Fast Eddie Clarke

Don’t know if you’ve heard of Fastway, the band Eddie formed when he left Motörhead (he was replaced in Motörhead by Brian Robertson from Thin Lizzy, who recorded the awesome Another Perfect Day album)

Eddie and Pete Way (ex UFO) formed Fastway in 1983. Fast + Way = Fastway. Genius huh?

Pete Way recorded the album but he was contracted to a different label and had to leave the band. Fastway had some success with their few albums before they broke up.

rd

#64 6 years ago

Talking of Motörhead, the Brian Robertson era is really interesting.

Fast Eddie quit, and the band strangely chose ex Thin Lizzy axe hero Brian Robertson.

They only made the one album, Another Perfect Day. Brian’s playing added a level of melody to the onslaught, which IMO makes it the best of the Motörhead studo records. YMMV.

Lemmy is on record as saying Brian was out of control on the drink (and heroin), one of the worst he’s seen ... and that’s coming from Lemmy.

The final straw was when Brian showed up to a gig in pink shorts, and the Hells Angels wanted to beat him up. Brian was out ... Phil and Wurzel were in.

Here’s Back at the Funny Farm with Brian.

rd

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Didn't they do the music to the Trick or Treat movie with Gene Simmons?

Yes, they did ... I’m not sure of what Genes involvement was. Probably took all the money.

rd

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He had me at

» YouTube video

The best band nobody has really heard of. Except for Boys are back in Town.

That video shows the Thunder and Lightning tour ... John Sykes (ex Tygers of Pan Tang) was in the band. He was considerably younger than the other guys, and really gave them a boot up the ass musically. I have the double live album from that tour, and all the Lizzy classics are played way faster and heavier than the 70s versions, bringing the material into the 80s to compete with the NWOBHM bands.

John Sykes went on to join Whitesnake and re-record the Slide it In album for its American release. Then they created the 1987 album and they were millionaires overnight. Sykes never toured the album, he was kicked out of the band by Coverdale before it even came out. But he got his royalties from it. Ching Ching.

rd

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you are doing Yingwe, at least make it a song that has some cock in it
Yngwie Malmsteen - Since You Been gone

Graham Bonnet could certainly belt it out.

Strange dude ... he admits he was never really into the rock/metal music, he much prefers singing rockabilly.

Back to Yngwie ... cool to see him with a V. I’d never seen him play any guitar other than a Strat.

it always amused me that he called himself Yngwie J. Malmsteen ... as to not get confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there ...

I prefer the Jeff Scott Soto stuff off the first two albums. He belts it out! He’s singing on Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan’s new project.

rd

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ha! The dude's still around! I wonder what Blackmore's up to these days. Strumming a harp or something.
» YouTube video

Actually, Blackmore put Rainbow back together! After 20 years playing renaissance fairs.

They performed at some big European festivals in 2016/17. He found an unknown singer dude who is pretty good. Handles the Purple stuff and all the Rainbow stuff well.

They did it all pretty much in secret, the first most people knew about it was when they walked out on stage at a euro festival.

rd

rd

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do you think these guys will get back together too?
» YouTube video

That’s amazing ... I had no idea that he’d got back together with Gary Barden. He still sings just like he did on the MSG records of the 80s! As soon as I saw the stage moves I knew it was him.

Good band too ... Neil Murray on bass and Simon Philips on drums.

I wonder if Schenker was drinking back then. He was pretty bad. I think he’s off the booze now.

I used to crank the MSG albums all the time when I was learning guitar, and try to keep up. Great guitar player.

rd

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Oh man... didn't anyone warn you that you can't talk bad things about any group or rock band and (mainly) you absolutely can't swear or say curse words in this thread? There are women and little kids reading this, for christsakes....
May that be your first strike. One more and you'll be ejected!

If you’re going to be a dick, please go do it elsewhere. This thread has been going in a very positive direction.

rd

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We were big John Sykes fans. He formed a band after Whitesnake called Blue Murder that had a few albums that nobody heard, but they were incredible. Saw him live a few times. I still listen to his material even today. If you have not heard it, pick up the first one, simply called Blue Murder.
» YouTube video
Still of the Night and Crying in the Rain are freaking awesome.

Yep, I’ve got the 3 Blue Murder albums. Sykes is an amazing guitarist, such a good tone.

Check out Bad Boy Live if you haven’t heard it, his solo album recorded in Japan around 2004ish. Blue Murder, Whitesnake and Lizzy songs, recorded with Tommy Aldridge, Marco Mendoza and Derek Sherinian.

Pretty sure that was his last recording, although he is supposed to have had a new solo album in the can for some time.

rd

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

» YouTube video

Man, the Cults Electric album ... I think we played that more at parties in 1988 than we did Appetite for Destruction (and that was on extremely high rotation...)

rd

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Edit- Album was called Killing Machine in the beginning.
» YouTube video

Yep, it was Killing Machine everywhere in the world except for the USA where the record company thought that was too extreme. So it became “Hell bent for leather” in the USA.

Which is funny because “bent” is an English slang word for gay. So I’m sure Rob was having a chuckle at that irony.

Quoted from mof:

You have it backwards from me. That album was last nail in the coffin for me.
Definitely check out the first-4 from Priest... Sad Wings has incredible production. Rocka Rolla is VERY warm and feel-good with a fat warm mid range.
-mof

I have the original Gull albums on Italian pressings ... and also Hero Hero, the Gull greatest hits double LP ... found them new in this totally random ma and pa record store in Napier in the late 80s.

As we discussed some time back, it’s interesting to listen to Priest from Rocka Rolla all the way through, and watch as they evolve from basically a heavy blues band through to prototype speed metal (rapid fire) and then full metal (SFV and DOTF) and then heavier again with Painkiller onwards.

I quite like the Ripper Owens albums too. Different to Halford obviously but the albums are ok.

rd

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I got thrown out of a Wasp concert for stage diving, and then snuck right back in.
I guess I'm just a wild child.

Were you wearing your buzzsaw codpiece?

rd

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Australia now.
Angel City, City Out of Control
» YouTube video

Funny, I was going to bring them up.

They’re what we call Aussie pub rock .. rock music with a hard rock edge. Honed in the tough pubs of Adelaide and toured around Australia. Exactly the same circuit that AC/DC played.

The Angels were one of the biggest bands in Australia for years, along with Cold Chisel.

After AC/DC broke big time in 1980 with Back in Black, the american record labels set their sights on Aussie for more gold.

They signed both The Angels, Rose Tattoo and Cold Chisel to contracts.

They renamed The Angels to “Angel City” for the US market, to avoid any confusion with the 70s glam band Angel, the guys who wore all white robes. If you saw the two bands together, there could hardly be any confusion ....

None of these new Aussie bands hit it big in the USA, but The Angels had some success on the west coast circuit. In Slash’s book, he talks about sneaking into their shows in Hollywood and how they were a big influence on him. Same for Rose Tattoo ... in fact GnR covered Rose Tattoos Nice Boys (don’t play rock n roll) on their self produced EP “live f**k like a suicide” in 1986.

This is a cool song, not their heaviest, but a good tune nonetheless ... Stand Up, live in 1983. It comes off the album Watch the Red from the same year.

rd

#194 6 years ago

What a great song to blast first thing in the morning.

Good pit!

Laid to rest.

rd

#199 6 years ago

The best rock/hard rock band you’ve never heard of. Kings X.

They seem to be lauded more by musos than by the public. I’ve been into them since 1987 when their first album came out, after reading a really good review in Kerrang (that was how we got our metal news pre Internet ...)

rd

#216 6 years ago

New Zealand.

Subtract.

rd

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

METAL CHURCH - Kicks some ass at 1:17

I remember buying the Metal Church album The Dark in 1986 — dropped the needle down, cranked it up — “whaaaat the faaaaaark!” I’d never heard anything like it. So heavy for the time.

Still play them all the time. Saw them in NYC last year, they were great.

rd

#225 6 years ago

Jake E Lee shows you you’ve been playing Bark at the Moon wrong all these years ...

rd

#228 6 years ago

Let’s have some Fake Healer ...

rd

#244 6 years ago

A good way to start the day. Some rock n roll in your face. Some Hellyeah.

rd

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

And massacrstion, hard core superstar & krokus!!

Talking of Krokus ... here is a very good story about them from Dee Snider. Well worth the listen!!

Note the part when the mob were going to kill them .... !!

rd

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

RD - Have you ever listened to LIVE LIFE by Lizzy? If not give it a try! I feel it's one of the best live albums

Yes sir! I think it’s the best of all the Lizzy albums. Tied with Live and Dangerous.

John Sykes cranks the band to a much heavier sound on Live Life ... Lizzy had to compete with the NWOBHM.

That was always Lizzys issue ... the production on the studio albums was dull and shithouse, it’s really only on the live albums where the songs come to life ...

rd

#264 6 years ago

Walk with me ...

rd

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

For your Friday evening listening pleasure I present Badlands with Jake E Lee...
» YouTube video

Love Badlands. Jake E Lee is such a good guitar player, and Ray Gillan belts out the vocals. Eric Singer on drums too.

Great heavy blues/rock.

rd

#286 6 years ago

One band I really like, Underoath.

They’re a Christian metalcore band out of Florida .. they had some success in the late 2000s, then split in 2013 .. evidently they got back together again in 2015 but I haven’t seen a new album yet.

They go pretty hard, but there’s a good sense of melody behind it all.

I have the CDs in high rotation in the pinball room. As cycochris will attest to when he rang me the other day and couldn’t hear me over the Underoath racket lolll

rd

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

This band is worthless and will never be remembered, in my top three I can’t stand new trendy stuff.

Korn is hardly new and trendy .. they’ve been around since 1993. That’s 25 years ...

I like their stuff, the 7 string guitars really give you a punch in the nuts! Some killer riffs in there.

I haven’t got the newer albums, so don’t know much about that. But I have seen the live show, and they’re still out there performing to huge crowds around the world.

If you like a good read, Brian “Head” Welch’s book about finding god is a really good read. He (and the rest of the band) were completely off the rails doing drugs and partying 24/7, and one day he begged god to save him from his imminent death. He reckons god came to him (maybe it was the drugs ..) and told him to quit the band. So he did. Just walked out in 2005. In 2013 he reunited with the cleaned up band and stays there to this day.

Love them or hate them, Korn redefined the heavy sound with the 7 string guitars and downtuning.

rd

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That was probably the saddest time in music history, men dressed as women, singing ballads with a gated snare drum

True ... but they were laughing all the way to the bank.

It’s easy to look back at certain eras and have a laugh ... what about 70s disco? Huge collars, huge hairdos, bell bottoms, light up dance floors ...

rd

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Disco was great music to dance, do some blow, and get blown.
If I tried to get blown to Winger, I'd loose my erection and my balls would retract.

Dunno ... I wasn’t around LA in the late 80s but I understand Winger BJs were pretty popular ...

rd

#309 6 years ago

That is not good. Mind you, all these guys are getting old ... that’s why about 10 years ago I made the decision to see all my favourite bands before they quit/die.

Only 2 left on the list ...

rd

#310 6 years ago

Let’s kick off the day with some good old 70s rock n roll.

Have I mentioned the Led Zeppelin pin I’m making .... ?

rd

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yep, it's the end of Priest. I'm sure they are just finishing the commitments for this tour. Sad - both KK and now Glenn.

Dunno ... as long as Rob can still sing they’ll probably keep it going.

Looks like they have bought in Andy Sneap from the UK as touring guitarist.

Ian Hill is the only original member ... he’s been there since 1969! Remember Al Atkins was the original singer before Rob. Halford joined in 73 and Tipton in 74.

rd

#318 6 years ago

So let’s crank up the best Fleetwood Mac cover you’ll hear today.

rd

#328 6 years ago

Some classic Thin Lizzy from 1976. I hadn't seen this before ....

Love Brian Robertson. The king of the rock wah wah pedal.

I always wanted to play like him when I was a teenager. My dream guitar was a black Les Paul like he has on Live and Dangerous ... I got one eventually, a 1980s model. It was f**ken tone dead lol. Sometimes the dream is better than reality haha.

rd

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

» YouTube video

I saw that Heaven and Hell tour here in Auckland. Its the only time I ever got to see Dio perform.

Small in stature ... kicked ass on stage. So cool ...

rd

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Same, I did see Dio in the early 90's opening for Megadeth but at that time is was all about Megadeth wish I could go back not even sure what album Dio was riding on.

When the Holy Diver album came out in 1984, I saw it in the store and thought
“Cool cover! What the f**k is a Dio?” ... as a 14 year old kid would ...

Bought it and it blew my mind! Great singing, and awesome guitar playing by Vivian Campbell.

rd

Lol at this ... it’s from the Offical live video that came out back in the 80s. Hear Vivian play the wrong guitar part at 1.27 ... wonder they didn’t edit it out and tidy it up.

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Holy Diver came out in 1983. As a 13yr-old metal-head in 1983 (hey look, we have the same age ), I already knew DIO from Sabbath!

I wasn’t into Black Sabbath when I was 10. I doubt you were either ...

rd

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Me neither, but at 11 I had to start somewhere.
» YouTube video

I was 11 when I saw Zeppelin do Stairway from Song remains the Same. The next day I had the double cassette and a few weeks later a black Swan Song Zep shirt.

rd

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Your technology in NZ was way ahead of ours in the states.

I can’t recall ever seeing an 8 track for sale new here. Maybe back in the 70s (before my time..) but I don’t think we had the players here, at least in large numbers. Certainly the cars never had them like they did in the States.

Probably a bit like the Beta VCR players. There were a few around but 99% of people here had VHS so beta went the way of the dinosaurs ...

rd

2 weeks later
#355 6 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Les Binks was a great drummer. When he went, so did the double bass drums.........bummer.

Haven’t you seen Scott Travis play? He’s all about the double bass drums ...

rd

1 week later
#357 6 years ago

Anyone made it along to the Priest/Saxon Tour yet?

rd

#363 6 years ago

Let’s start the day with some widdly-widdly!

rd

#365 6 years ago

These guys are playing at ReplayFX .. Saturday night around midnight.

Dethlehem ... best band name ever?

Cool music ... obviously they have a sense of humour. Watch the video right till the end.

rd

#368 6 years ago

A great band from Sweden - Soilwork.

rd

#375 6 years ago

Good Friday - quite a few beers - some rugby league on TV - and some Deftones.

Rock on.

rd

#379 6 years ago

Burn the Priest are back - for a cover album.

(Burn the Priest was Lamb of Gods original name)

rd

#386 6 years ago

Comedian Dean Delray put on a Bon Scott tribute show in Hollywood last week.

Guests included Bill Burr (drums) Marc Maron (guitar) Nikki Sixx, Scott Ian, Rudy Sarzo, Michael Devin ...

They played the Powerage album right through, and some other tracks at the end. Add in some stand up as well.

Looks really cool. I almost flew over for it but decided not to ...

PS listen to the Dean Delray podcast if you like comedy and rock music. He has lots of really interesting guests. Including Tim from Pinball Hall of Fame on episode 100. I’ve seen Dean live at the LA Comedy Store a few times, funny guy. Chatted to him about pinball too, he loves it.

rd

3ECEF792-2E5E-46EC-9902-3D45F575613E (resized).jpeg3ECEF792-2E5E-46EC-9902-3D45F575613E (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#387 5 years ago

Arch Enemy from 2009. Live in Japan.

#389 5 years ago

Hadn’t seen this before ..

Metal Church re-recorded Fake Healer last year, with Todd La Torre guesting on vocals.

If you haven’t seen Todd in Queensryche, check him out. As good (if not better) than Tate. Really good singer.

rd

1 week later
#395 5 years ago

Ozzy back out on the road with Zakk back in the band butchering more Classic Songs ...

Zakk Wilde - the man who ruined pinch harmonics for everyone.

Bring back the Greek guy!

rd

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I think Zakk's style, as in the pinch harmonics, are more subjective to taste. However, I personally believe that Zakk should not incorporate this technique in any of the RR or Jake E. Lee tracks. If it were up to me, he would strictly cover the songs note to note to the best of his ability, which is fairly high. (I am not discrediting Zakk Wylde's skills on his instrument in any way!)

The guy can certainly play, for sure.

But I couldn’t even make it to the end of Bark at the Moon on that video. Between Ozzys out of tune singing and Zakks whiizzz wherrrrr whizzzz EEEEEEEOOOOOEEEEEE every 10 seconds, I could take no more.

rd

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Have you ever listened to the album "Live & Loud"? Zakk even finds a way to fuse his pinch harmonics into the Sabbath classics on that album. rotordave

Oh yeah. I went to see Black Label Society last year, more of the same. But he seems to really overdo it in those old Ozzy songs.

rd

2 weeks later
#412 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What is Evan Seinfeld doing these days? I thought he quit biohazard?

Does he still do the porn stuff?

rd

1 week later
#417 5 years ago

Anthrax are always a good way to start my day.

I actually prefer the John Bush albums. Such a powerful singer.

If you didn’t know, John Bush is who Metallica originally wanted to sing for them (as James wasn’t comfortable singing). It would have been interesting to see how that would have gone.

John was in Armoured Saint back then. And is again now. The latest album is pretty strong.

PS if you want to see how powerful a singer Bush is, watch Belladonna try to sing this song on a recent tour. They dropped it from the setlist half way through. Just couldn’t pull it off.

rd

#421 5 years ago

You may remember Dee Snider, the singer from Twisted Sister. About 6 months ago, he was on the Jamey Jasta podcast (recommended) and Jamey pitched him to make a real heavy record.

Dee took him up on it, and the first song is coming out today. Album is coming out in July.

Songs were written by Jamey, Howard Jones, Mark Morton and others. Lots of guests on the tracks including Alissa White-Gluz from Arch Enemy.

I’ve heard some snippets of it, sounds pretty impressive.

Here’s the first release from it.

rd

1 week later
#427 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Does anyone like Yngwie Malmsteen?

“I am a Vikkkkkkinnngggggg!”

I was a fan back in the day when I was trying to steal his licks.

I listened to the first 2 albums a few months ago when I was painting a ceiling. I usually have metal playing as I paint. Helps make the job bearable. The albums are still sounding good - and Jeff Scott Soto’s vocals were really strong.

rd

#430 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

rotordave
As a young lad, I wasn't ready for "change" when Boals came around to front the 3rd album -- he may be more talented with his vibrato (more like Dio), but I liked how raw the first singer felt -- Soto sounded more like a Viking to me... 3rd album had more keys and felt more pop rock -- wasn't quite my bag. 4th was over the cliff by then...
Listening now with older ears, 3rd album holds up well actually. Real nice vocals.
Funny thing is -- that first singer was ~18 when he did the first album... hardly a viking!
-mof

I would concur - I thought (at the time) that the first two albums were really strong. The third album started getting more proggy, exactly as you say. I don’t think I bought the fourth one! I think I’d moved on by then.

Good to see Jeff Scott Soto still out there singing. You probably know he did a tour with Journey (before they got Arnel) and now he is singing with the supergroup Sons of Apollo.

rd

3 weeks later
#441 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

This one's for you RD! Happy "let's blow some shit up" day to ya bub.

B2DE92D3-6249-40C6-9915-A63DFAB09875.gifB2DE92D3-6249-40C6-9915-A63DFAB09875.gif
#444 5 years ago

How about some Alex Skolnick to start up the day ...

rd

1 week later
#450 5 years ago

Good picks Haz.

I’d add in some tracks from “the dark album”

rd

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

$1000 is insanity for a SINGLE album

No shit! Bat shit crazy.

Watch the moneyed up yuppies snap them up though ...

Good money making scheme for Axl and buddies.

I remember when the box set of Live:binge and purge came out and we were up in arms because it was like $60 or something haha

rd

1 week later
#462 5 years ago

Seen LOG 5 times I think? Every time they’ve been to NZ.

Here’s some footage I took in 2013.

#463 5 years ago

“Yo! Bison is metal!”

3 weeks later
#465 5 years ago

Rearranging my shed/competition pinball zone.

Dug out my boxes of cassette tapes from the early/mid 80s when I used to buy cassettes.

Pretty much every hard rock/metal album that came out I would buy on either vinyl or cassette. Generally vinyl, then I’d tape it to listen to in the car.

Some real blasts from the past in there. Girlschool anyone? How’s about some Warlock? Doro was sooooo hot.

rd

028F8F23-AE1A-4F2C-90EE-355D0E3CB856 (resized).jpeg028F8F23-AE1A-4F2C-90EE-355D0E3CB856 (resized).jpeg9410AA05-19B8-4A3B-B7F4-B7B3BA760DF4 (resized).jpeg9410AA05-19B8-4A3B-B7F4-B7B3BA760DF4 (resized).jpeg
#467 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have a car that plays 80s cassettes -- still living the dream my friend...
-mof

My hearse has a tape deck ... can’t wait for it to chew up my Killers tape. Lollll

rd

2 weeks later
#470 5 years ago
Quoted from GrueLurks:

Post one of your favorite local metal bands here that you actively support and love.

Cool.

We only have a little scene here.

My favourite is Subtract. They’ve been quiet for a while but there’s a new album about to come out. Seen these guys a bunch, supporting Lamb of God and other touring bands.

Arguably our biggest rock/metal band is Shihad. They started very much as a Metallica sounding band, but after 30 years gigging, they’ve mellowed out to more of a hard rock.

I saw them last year, they did a special 1 hour set ... and every song was a hit. One of the best sets I’ve seen.

They were signed to an American label in 2010. They were recording their new album in LA when 9/11 happened. The record company said their name sounded too much like Jihad and made them change it. That didn’t go well ... There was a feature film documentary made about them, it was on Netflix.

This song is a banger.

rd

#473 5 years ago

If Priest are looking for a permanent replacement for Glen, I have a candidate.

Better looking too, just quietly ...

rd

#477 5 years ago

Priest and Ozzy just announced a NZ tour for March next year. Amped ... I’ve seen Ozzy heaps but haven’t seen Priest before.

Here’s some US festival! My old mate Odin was there ...

And how harrdddd is this! Pretty damn cool.

From my favourite JP album, Defenders of the Faith ...

rd

3 weeks later
#480 5 years ago

New Soilwork album on the way.

Great metalcore band from Sweden.

rd

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Great thread and posts all! Thanks - just went from start to end ... maybe I’ve missed it but has no one discussed Budgie?

Maybe a bit before most of our time I guess?

I know of them, but they don’t have a huge following “down under”. I know they were popular across UK/Europe and Canada ...

rd

2 weeks later
#482 5 years ago

CrazyLevi - you need this in your life. Haha!

Shame you can’t capitalise the letters - looks like Crazylevl lol

rd

https://www.judaspriest-namegenerator.com

0CAB86D3-8059-449F-9C0E-09D4B3DFABCB (resized).jpeg0CAB86D3-8059-449F-9C0E-09D4B3DFABCB (resized).jpeg129F5E0D-2E4E-465C-BB3D-BBF0DA747643 (resized).jpeg129F5E0D-2E4E-465C-BB3D-BBF0DA747643 (resized).jpeg
#483 5 years ago

Great video of Queensryche coming into their peak period.

If you haven’t seen the Operation Livecrime DVD, do yourself a favour and check it out.

Always love the chain drum set. So cool.

rd

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

New album soon! I don’t know who plays drums on it since Scott is apparently taking a break

I heard that, maybe on Eddie Trunk. I think it was a Todd La Torre interview.

I like Todd La Torres vocals - arguably better than Tates ...

rd

#487 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

No way Jeoff Tate and Chris Degarmo were Queensryche. The Warning was a epic album, I miss those guys.

I would agree - Chris DeGarmo maybe more so. He was a big contributor in the songwriting. Of course, the focus will always be on the vocalist, that’s just the way it is.

Those first few albums were epic metal records. Operation Mindcrime is at the top of a lot of “best metal album” lists.

But in the last ten+ years, Tate was taking the band in a softer direction which the rest of the band didn’t like, amd by all accounts was becoming a real jerk, so ultimately they had to get rid of him.

Le Torre has proved a more than capable replacement - the latest albums with him singing are way heavier, and the best music the band has done in 20 years.

rd

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

uh... Does your copy not have the blotchy red demon baby? lol
and by complete happenstance, i read this the other day:
https://www.black-sabbath.com/2004/06/depeche_mode/

What a great story! I love shit like that.

Now, for some big LOLs listen to Gillan talk about the dwarf!!

You can see where Spinal Tap borrowed their ideas from...

rd

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

OK WHO ORDERED THE SINGAPORE GRIND?

Nobody. Haha!

God bless ya Grrrryyyzzzzzzz!

rd

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My wife just texted me "It is late"

Hopefully she wasn’t talking about her “time of month ...”.

rd

1 month later
#508 5 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

they have been my fave band since the mid 80's and been fortunate to have seen them and met them many times

Did you go to the Operation Livecrime show at the Metro a while back?

I flew over to Sydney for that. It was pretty cool.

rd

1 week later
#514 5 years ago

Just saw a picture of this album cover and it sent me down a brief Deep Purple rabbit hole...

Was never a massive purple fan, but I do like the Coverdale MK3 era. And I love Ritchie Blackmore, he’s one of the best guitar players ever. And Jon Lord .. genius.

If you are working in front of your computer, throw this album on and give it a whirl all the way through. This is taken from a live radio broadcast the MK3 lineup did on their only UK tour in 1974 .. so there are probably no overdubs at all.

What you heard live in 1974 is what you get.

Ritchie Blackmore
David Coverdale
Glenn Hughes
Jon Lord
Ian Paice

rd

#516 5 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Glenn Hughes is out doing Purple mk3 tour, reviews of show in England are great!

Yeah, he can still sing like a MF even though he’s almost 70 and has done more coke than maybe anyone else on the planet (read his book if you haven’t - a good read)

Did you see Black Country Communion had a new album last year... For those who don’t know, BCC is Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham, Joe Bonamassa and Derek Sherinian. Good hard rocking music.

rd

#518 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Has Jason Bonham done anything that doesn't have a Led Zep sound to it?

The fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree.

He did drum for Foreigner for ages, I guess he couldn’t have made them sound like Kashmir ...

rd

1 week later
#519 5 years ago

New Soilwork songs are out ...

Slightly more melodic than usual, although it does kick in around 3:00 in ...

New drummer in place, as the old one is now in Megadeth.

rd

#520 5 years ago

And the new Slipknot came out a while back.

Whatever you think of their shtick, this song will go off big time on the stage ... when that riff kicks in, it’s a banger!

rd

1 month later
#522 5 years ago

So good.

Jake E Lee was on Dean Delray’s podcast a few weeks ago, he talked about being the original guitarist in Dio ... jammed in Dios house and everything .. before they went for Vivian Campbell.

rd

#524 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Is anyone else interested in KISS's farewell tour?

Lots of talk online about it.

Appears Paul is singing along to tracks this time. Just like most pop acts do these days.

A lot of fans can’t stomach Thayer singing Shock Me and Singer doing the Beth schtick on the pretend Liberace grand piano. Reality is 95% of the audience probably don’t even know they’re not “the guys”. Lol

They’re coming here in December - I’ve seen them a dozen times but I might take my 9 year old grandson along to them cause he’s a big fan. Stageshow will blow his mind.

rd

#525 5 years ago

Tears for Fears reimagined...

rd

1 week later
#527 5 years ago

A few weeks to go!

Danni is amped!

Slayer/Anthrax are the 15th, the day before.

rd

3F54C459-51B5-44F7-B55D-107CDAA7EEDE (resized).jpeg3F54C459-51B5-44F7-B55D-107CDAA7EEDE (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#528 5 years ago

Saw Alice in Chains in Auckland last night. Was going to see them in 1993, but they cancelled because the drummer hurt his arm.

Good show. Towards the end, Chad Smith and Josh Kinghoffer from RHCP came out and jammed Them Bones and Dam that River - this rarely happens in NZ because it’s rare for two big bands to be here at the same time.

We have a heap of good bands coming over the next month - Priest, Anthrax, Slayer, Halestorm, Sevendust ... concert bonanza!

rd

1CB65749-04B0-44A0-8D0D-F3D09CEC0A06 (resized).jpeg1CB65749-04B0-44A0-8D0D-F3D09CEC0A06 (resized).jpegE7ACDC12-2134-4AFE-8A67-7086F05BE98A (resized).jpegE7ACDC12-2134-4AFE-8A67-7086F05BE98A (resized).jpegA25FAD1C-715A-4215-B092-B67DB0996EDB (resized).jpegA25FAD1C-715A-4215-B092-B67DB0996EDB (resized).jpegEFA6E737-683E-416D-B832-4381A6635FE3 (resized).jpegEFA6E737-683E-416D-B832-4381A6635FE3 (resized).jpeg
#530 5 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

Hopefully you won't end up sleeping on the sidewalk.

I don’t think Gryzzzzz is unaccustomed to that ....:

rd

#535 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well it ain't no fun lest yer name is RD

Its a long way to the shop .... when you want a sausage roll .....

rd

1 week later
#538 5 years ago

Caught Anthrax and Slayer last night in Auckland.

Anthrax were on first, and in great form. All Joey songs, mostly old ones but a couple from the newer Joey records.

89B937CB-E86D-413C-9327-2C27D04D2726 (resized).jpeg89B937CB-E86D-413C-9327-2C27D04D2726 (resized).jpeg

42A41207-255A-494A-898C-ECCA44CD1741 (resized).jpeg42A41207-255A-494A-898C-ECCA44CD1741 (resized).jpeg

88AA1128-79D7-4EDE-AD0A-1CB5704F7394 (resized).jpeg88AA1128-79D7-4EDE-AD0A-1CB5704F7394 (resized).jpeg

EA37AE81-9AC8-46CE-BBB3-AC0C1F733DD2 (resized).jpegEA37AE81-9AC8-46CE-BBB3-AC0C1F733DD2 (resized).jpeg

Slayer followed, and while I’m not a big fan, there are plenty who are and they were loving it! The crosses turning upside down on the curtain before the show was pretty cool.

rd

748FF368-2B05-4F04-B96E-5BFE339CDBE1 (resized).jpeg748FF368-2B05-4F04-B96E-5BFE339CDBE1 (resized).jpeg2DC55DBA-C59E-4656-85FC-963F1ED0398C (resized).jpeg2DC55DBA-C59E-4656-85FC-963F1ED0398C (resized).jpeg8BE49886-9E42-4E7D-8E22-2898409450BF (resized).jpeg8BE49886-9E42-4E7D-8E22-2898409450BF (resized).jpeg9691E105-F8A0-41C7-A9DB-615FC8F38173 (resized).jpeg9691E105-F8A0-41C7-A9DB-615FC8F38173 (resized).jpeg

#539 5 years ago

Another concert in the month of metal.

Judas Priest and Halestorm tonight.

3rd time seeing Halestorm and they’re always good live. Their recordings are a bit on the softer side, but they really rock out live. And 100% live, no tracks! Lzzy belts it out, and her brother is a star on the drums.

Priest were one of the last bands on my “must see before they quit” list (the only remaining one is Kings X) and they didn’t disappoint, coming out to Delivering the Goods, and slamming metal hit after metal hit.

Personal highlights were Desert Plains and Freewheel Burning ... nice!

Danni was gagging for some Priest, and when Rob Halford came out she said “it’s like seeing Metal Jesus”. Lol

Good times.

rd
96900868-861B-4D9B-8F28-166EA2150446 (resized).jpeg96900868-861B-4D9B-8F28-166EA2150446 (resized).jpeg4AD81C5B-67B4-41DD-B0EB-2709761AD5AD (resized).jpeg4AD81C5B-67B4-41DD-B0EB-2709761AD5AD (resized).jpeg759775A7-F5C8-4E15-A02A-D2D593E5FC4E (resized).jpeg759775A7-F5C8-4E15-A02A-D2D593E5FC4E (resized).jpeg57999AFD-06E2-4F09-9A54-F2CBC5C63798 (resized).jpeg57999AFD-06E2-4F09-9A54-F2CBC5C63798 (resized).jpeg0838500B-B6CB-463D-874C-D680FD6328E2 (resized).jpeg0838500B-B6CB-463D-874C-D680FD6328E2 (resized).jpegBE44BDD1-EA20-4FE8-AEE8-E08C2E1A0ACC (resized).jpegBE44BDD1-EA20-4FE8-AEE8-E08C2E1A0ACC (resized).jpegC7FAC4C5-32B5-488F-8CA8-8F90B156B63F (resized).jpegC7FAC4C5-32B5-488F-8CA8-8F90B156B63F (resized).jpegF3A97DD2-BE31-4478-AEE0-707B404B03A4 (resized).jpegF3A97DD2-BE31-4478-AEE0-707B404B03A4 (resized).jpeg

#541 5 years ago

Mariachi heavy metal songs.

You need this in your life.

https://metalachi.com

Thank me later.

rd

1 week later
#543 5 years ago

So, as I said, Danni (just turned 17 the other day) is right into her Priest ... her current jam is Tyrant.

rd

1 month later
#548 4 years ago

Cool video about the guy who was Van Halens third singer ... but wasn’t ....

rd

#549 4 years ago

Maybe the worst rock merch I’ve ever seen ...

https://loudwire.com/kiss-crocs/

rd

6EBE107F-F596-42C9-925F-8FB9549D80E6 (resized).jpeg6EBE107F-F596-42C9-925F-8FB9549D80E6 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#558 4 years ago

We had a Mexican theme to our Alice Cooper Launch Party the other night.

I cranked up the Metalachi on the stereo ... couldn’t help but notice the number of subscribers...

It’s a sign. Possibly.

rd

473325BC-7D08-4323-A43D-1BE6A93BB9AC (resized).png473325BC-7D08-4323-A43D-1BE6A93BB9AC (resized).png
#559 4 years ago

Sweet video!

Pit in the plaza.

rd

#560 4 years ago

Full Testament set from Hellfest.

If you didn’t know, ARTEtv show most of the huge European metal festivals live on TV and on the net. Last year I watched most of Wacken live from my sofa. Nice!

Search the ARTEtv channel and you’ll see all the Hellfest stuff from Slayer, Anthrax, COF, LOG, etc etc.

rd

4 weeks later
#566 4 years ago

The return of the decent music video ...

rd

#567 4 years ago

Jinjer bang it out at Wacken. This girl can bring it.

rd

#568 4 years ago

New As I Lay Dying.

Tim’s out of prison and a new man!

rd

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-hard-rockmetal-thread?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.