57999AFD-06E2-4F09-9A54-F2CBC5C63798 (resized).jpeg
BE44BDD1-EA20-4FE8-AEE8-E08C2E1A0ACC (resized).jpeg
0838500B-B6CB-463D-874C-D680FD6328E2 (resized).jpeg
C7FAC4C5-32B5-488F-8CA8-8F90B156B63F (resized).jpeg
759775A7-F5C8-4E15-A02A-D2D593E5FC4E (resized).jpeg
4AD81C5B-67B4-41DD-B0EB-2709761AD5AD (resized).jpeg
96900868-861B-4D9B-8F28-166EA2150446 (resized).jpeg
2DC55DBA-C59E-4656-85FC-963F1ED0398C (resized).jpeg
There are 579 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
#1 6 years ago

I’m creating this thread so you can share your favourite hard rock and metal bands to like minded fans of the genre.

Personally, I define hard rock/metal as maybe Led Zeppelin/Sabbath/Deep Purple through to Lamb of God at the harder end. Heavy metal music is defined by great guitar work, thunderous drumming and soaring vocals.

When the vocals get “un-understandable”, there is a death metal thread created for fans of that genre. Feel free to migrate to that thread and share your favourite music.

Feel free to intelligently discuss others posts ... however, moronic posters of “that sucks” and the like will be ejected from the thread. Life’s far too short for that crap.

Go forth and share your love of metal!

Dave.

6AA4891D-EBE2-4486-83C6-B6C9AC5E4CA9 (resized).jpeg6AA4891D-EBE2-4486-83C6-B6C9AC5E4CA9 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

EDIT: Ah I see why now RD.

#4 6 years ago

Let’s kick it off with some classic stuff.

Ronnie James Dio at the peak of his game.

Ritchie Blackmore pissed off with Deep Purple and out to show them who’s the boss.

Kill the King.

rd

#7 6 years ago

Something killer for the thread.

#8 6 years ago

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

» YouTube video

Hey, welcome Hazoff

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hey, welcome hazoff

Hi Alex, are u ready to be fondled in another thread. I'm a really great fondler.

Oh Hi RD how r ya.

#11 6 years ago

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Hi Alex, are u ready to be fondled in another thread. I'm a really great fondler.
Oh Hi RD how r ya.
» YouTube video

Just remember, no trolling allowed!

#13 6 years ago

Last year I had the privilege to be at the Killswitch Engage show in Auckland .. they were playing the whole Alive or Just Breathing album for the 10th anniversary of its release.

Just an awesome show.

Here’s some of it from Canada.

rd

#14 6 years ago

Slightly old news, but Judas Priest have released the first song off their new album Firepower, due out soon.

rd

#15 6 years ago

How about some vintage Judas Priest? Pre-leather Halford looking like a hippie!

Epic!

#16 6 years ago

King at his finest:

#17 6 years ago

Testament:

I think they should replace Megadeth in the “big four”.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Let’s kick it off with some classic stuff.
Ronnie James Dio at the peak of his game.
Ritchie Blackmore pissed off with Deep Purple and out to show them who’s the boss.
Kill the King.
rd
» YouTube video

I was fortunate enough to see RJD during his Master of the Moon tour as well as when he reunited with Black Sabbath as "Heaven and Hell."

He may have began to peak in the 70s, but I'm certain that peak never dipped for the rest of his career. A nearly unmatched performer/writer until the end, and the fact you could always see that he loved what he was doing puts him over the top for me.

Quoted from Thermionic:

Testament:
» YouTube video
I think they should replace Megadeth in the “big four”.

but...Megadeth is amazing. Big Four for me would be Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Exodus.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I was fortunate enough to see RJD during his Master of the Moon tour as well as when he reunited with Black Sabbath as "Heaven and Hell."
He may have began to peak in the 70s, but I'm certain that peak never dipped for the rest of his career. A nearly unmatched performer/writer until the end, and the fact you could always see that he loved what he was doing puts him over the top for me

I would concur.

Pretty much all of his output was top notch. Maybe a couple of dips in the middle of the Dio albums, but pretty darn good across the board.

Alas, the only time I ever got to see him live was with Heaven and Hell in Auckland. Dio never came to NZ. I missed Dio by a week in Las Vegas around 2000, which I was totally bummed about.

rd

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

but...Megadeth is amazing. Big Four for me would be Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Exodus.

They are amazing for sure, but the competition in Thrash is stiff and I think there other bands that are more consistently amazing and even getting better rather than worse as they age (Testament, Exodus, Death Angel)!

How about your Big four but replace Megadeth with Death Angel?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I would concur.
Pretty much all of his output was top notch. Maybe a couple of dips in the middle of the Dio albums, but pretty darn good across the board.
Alas, the only time I ever got to see him live was with Heaven and Hell in Auckland. Dio never came to NZ. I missed Dio by a week in Las Vegas around 2000, which I was totally bummed about.
rd

I could say Lock Up The Wolves was weak against the rest of his work, but even albums such as Strange Highways and Angry Machines are top notch for me (I know those have gotten some flack).

When I saw Heaven and Hell, the openers were Alice Cooper and Queensryche--amazing show.

Quoted from Thermionic:

They are amazing for sure, but the competition in Thrash is stiff and I think there other bands that are more consistently amazing and even getting better rather than worse as they age (Testament, Exodus, Death Angel)!
How about your Big four but replace Megadeth with Death Angel?
» YouTube video

Ha ha. I can admit that Super Collider and Dystopia were crap Megadeth albums, and Thirteen was the first sign of a half-effort (I highly anticipated every album up to that point), but I can't ignore how great nearly everything was in the 80s and up through Endgame (even Risk is a good album IMO, if perhaps not a "Megadeth" / thrash album).

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

King at his finest:

» YouTube video

A great album but I would have to go with this for the finest.

#23 6 years ago

#24 6 years ago

Hope this one fits here... they told me it's not allowed at the TRUE METAL thread!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

» YouTube video

I've never met anyone that has any idea who Saxon is. I first discovered them when Unleash the Beast was released. I was 12 at the time and bought that album solely because of how awesome the cover art is (same reason I picked up Testament's Souls of Black--both great purchases). Unleash the Beast and Lionheart are perhaps my favorite albums from them, but Princess of the Night off Denim and Leather is my favorite track (and I believe the only Saxon album I own on vinyl). Their Court of the Crimson King cover is another favorite as well that led to getting into King Crimson.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Oh Hi RD how r ya.
» YouTube video

That's what I call cheerleading metal!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

King at his finest:
» YouTube video

Quoted from Hazoff:

A great album but I would have to go with this for the finest.
» YouTube video

All hail the KING of KINGS!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

He may have began to peak in the 70s, but I'm certain that peak never dipped for the rest of his career. A nearly unmatched performer/writer until the end, and the fact you could always see that he loved what he was doing puts him over the top for me.

The term "BIG" 4 was stated for the biggest sellers, not for the best bands.
If you'd want to start a list of the BEST 4, here's mine: EXODUS, TESTAMENT, DESTRUCTION and OVERKILL. DEATH ANGEL and the "big 4" are definitely runners-up!

And as I always say: OLD SCHOOL THRASH METAL RULES!!!!

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I've never met anyone that has any idea who Saxon is. I first discovered them when Unleash the Beast was released

I’ve got the first 8 albums, but sort of fell off the train after that. I had to look up Unleash the Beast to see what it was.

Back in the 80s Saxon were one of the biggest bands of the NWOBHM. They never really caught on outside of Europe though.

They played at Wacken last year. And they’re down to support Priest on their upcoming US tour.

rd

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

If you'd want to start a list of the BEST 4, here's mine: EXODUS, TESTAMENT, DESTRUCTION and OVERKILL. DEATH ANGEL and the "big 4" are definitely runners-up!

Sure, top selling, most influential, early in the genre, etc. We'll still hear people debate the four they think should be recognized above others.

Overkill is amazing as well. While I had heard of them many times, I didn't really know any of their music until Gigantour 2 came around and then I was immediately impressed once they took the stage, eventually buying several albums.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

King at his finest:
» YouTube video

Love them , my first show ever was them and metallica together , i d'ont remember the year but i was still in school so around 86

#32 6 years ago

Alter Bridge and Tremonti! Don't know if there's a better singer out there right now than Myles Kennedy.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Alex, how could you forget Sepultura!

#34 6 years ago

One of my all time favs from the college days....

The_Lizard_(Saigon_Kick_album)_coverart (resized).jpgThe_Lizard_(Saigon_Kick_album)_coverart (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Alex, how could you forget Sepultura!

Sepultura was cool until they decided to mix and incorporate brazilian rhythms into their sound... Arise was their last good album unfortunately... And the new singer doesn't help much also... The Cavalera brothers kick much more ass!!!

And those bands I mentioned always stood true to real THRASH METAL, no matter which "trend" metal in general was going through.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Sepultura was cool until they decided to mix and incorporate brazilian rhythms into their sound... Arise was their last good album unfortunately... And the new singer doesn't help much also... The Cavalera brothers kick much more ass!!!
And those bands I mentioned always stood true to real THRASH METAL, no matter which "trend" metal in general was going through.

Well obviously I meant the thrash albums - schizophrenia through chaos Ad. Beneath and Arise are completely unbeatable.

#37 6 years ago

Vintage speed metal ala Priest!

#38 6 years ago

R.I.P. Fast Eddie Clarke

fasteddieclarkelemmy2014_638 (resized).jpgfasteddieclarkelemmy2014_638 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Vintage speed metal ala Priest!

Never heard that song before, my Preistly Passion starts with Painkiller but man what a great song, time to dig into the oldies, this is an oldie but best version for me is played live a few years back. KK's solo is one of the greatest I've ever heard.

#40 6 years ago

Never really listened to Sin after Sin before its amazing.

#41 6 years ago

Slade - Gudbuy T' Jane

#42 6 years ago

Cheap Trick - Auf Wiedersehen

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

» YouTube video

Well, you might not have been 15 years old in 1977 either.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, you might not have been 15 years old in 1977 either.

3 years old, Priest was never something I listened to in the 80's or really even the 90's just recently in the last 10 years did I find appreciation for them and Painkiller is more my style but damn Sin after Sin is greatness.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

3 years old, Priest was never something I listened to in the 80's or really even the 90's just recently in the last 10 years did I find appreciation for them and Painkiller is more my style but damn Sin after Sin is greatness.

There were like three of us that listened to Priest back then. lol. Advantage- hanging out in a record store when we should have been in school.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

» YouTube video

Had that record in my car my entire senior year of high school. My car was called the “anti-chick mobile” lol

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My car was called the “anti-chick mobile” lol

Ha! Most of the dudes couldn't hang with it either. It was a little too heavy for the average Joes back then.

Sinner!

We were some little hellions alright.

#48 6 years ago

They actually used to play this on the radio:

Riot - Road Racin'

#49 6 years ago

I love fusion too, so when I got this album:

It is an AMAZING cover:

#50 6 years ago

There are 579 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-hard-rockmetal-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.