IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xelz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8578 2 years ago

Have a question for the audiophiles out there. I have a LE on pre-order (arriving in the distant future since I was very late to pre-order mine ) and Iā€™m currently planning to install a pinwoofer.

However, I also have a spare A/V receiver lying around, and Iā€™ve got the space to place good bookshelf speakers on stands next to the cab. Are there any good options for running audio out to a receiver without getting audio lag?

Sorry if this has already been addressed. Iā€™m currently reading through this whole thread and Iā€™m on page 81 - only 91 more pages to go

2 weeks later
#9370 2 years ago

For those who have used a small iron to repair pooling before it cracks, which iron brand do you recommend? Iā€™m a total noob at this and wouldnā€™t even know what to google other than ā€œironā€

Trying to find one like Nick on Buffalo Pinball used with a round head.

I have a LE coming in the very distant future, but a Stern arriving in a week or two and itā€™d be handy to have an iron on hand. Just in case...

#9372 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I wouldn't assume you're going to have problems. Don't even think about ironing unless you do.

I think itā€™s highly unlikely that Iā€™ll need it, and I donā€™t plan on touching my play field with an iron except as a last resort. But I like to be prepared just in case. Itā€™s the nature of my personality

#9375 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I'm not trying to come off as woke or PC, but I noticed that the condom, bra, and underwear patches are still accessible in "non-adult mode."
This does not offend me one bit. I do not have kids and I'm very Rated R, however, I will soon have friends with kids finally coming to visit me. This is a game with flashy lights and cool toys, so kids are naturally going to gravitate towards it. Perhaps I am wrong.
It's just that I have a small collection, so it's not like they can walk over and play TMNT or Wonka while the adults throw down on GNR.
The game is obviously not intended for younger players, but it would make me feel more comfortable having the ability to hide sensitive patches like a condom or women's underwear when an 10-year old girl or boy is in my home. I would definitely want to have this as an option if I had a daughter.
It makes me a bit uneasy. I don't want to put my friends in an uncomfortable spot explaining or trying to hide "stuff" to their kid(s). The same applies if I decide to throw a work party sometime in the future. I want to be sensitive to those who are sensitive. Make sense?
Again, I know this is GNR, but I do wish there was a way to hide these particular patches, including the lighter. At the very least, perhaps they could become something else in Family Mode, even if each one is missing a callout. One could argue about guns not being kid-friendly, but there's no getting around it.
How do you parents deal with it? Are the kids kept off-limits?
In all seriousness, how does JJP address this in somewhere like Utah? I imagine their endgame is to sell as many games as possible.

Iā€™m very curious about Utahā€™s thoughts on this...

In all seriousness, Iā€™m in the same boat with no kids but friends and family who have younginā€™s. I plan to just leave GNR off, at least while the kids are in the room. GNR will always be there for adult nights, just like Cards Against Humanity.

But I can see how itā€™s more of a conundrum with a small collection.

#9379 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Contact Yelobird he had a kit at one time.

Contact Nate at JJP.
LTG : )

Thanks LTG!

1 week later
#9720 2 years ago

I personally would be ok with waiting an extra year if it meant getting a PF that I donā€™t have to worry about. Iā€™m in no rush.

But Iā€™m also pretty confident in Fooā€™s solution plus using an iron if needed. And I doubt most buyers would be as patient for a fix.

I wonder if JJP will partially pivot like Stern and change the art to avoid ink around posts for better clear adhesion. Didnā€™t Stern make that adjustment between different Deadpool runs?

#9783 2 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Iā€™m sorry to lol!!
But this is so wrong. People are really adding washers to a brand new game.
Return it!

I have a Deadpool incoming and the first thing Iā€™ll do is add washers to a few of the ball guides to prevent them from scraping through the clear.

Iā€™ve learned that preventative maintenance comes with the hobby

#9856 2 years ago

Anyone with 500+ plays not have any pooling, flaking, or cracking damage currently? Trying to get a sense of how likely it is to get a playfield that doesnā€™t eventually develop pooling problems.

#9878 2 years ago

What worries me is that this may be an issue with the ink not adhering to the wood rather than strictly a problem with the clear. If the ink was fine, then the clear coat could improve with time as it cures. Or you could re-coat it (if you wanted to go through the trouble and expense).

But if the ink doesnā€™t adhere, imagine painting something without properly priming it first. The worldā€™s best clear coat wonā€™t matter if the substance underneath it doesnā€™t grab the wood. The paint (or ink in this case) can slowly separate and flake off over time, starting in higher impact areas and edges, and then spread outward from there.

#10033 2 years ago

That guitar neck chip is the most concerning example. Itā€™s a) not at a post, and b) occurs at a location where the ink doesnā€™t reach the edge of the clear.

Itā€™s only one case so far, but it potentially means JJP canā€™t fix this just by changing their art design, aka Stern, to remove ink from around the posts.

Out of curiosity, has anyone checked other areas where the ball frequently impacts the playfield, like where the ball drops from the upper playfield? Would be interesting to see how the clear is holding up there.

#10053 2 years ago

I agree that a class action lawsuit isnā€™t the best way. But JJP needs to experience a stronger repercussion than angry posts on a forum. That apparently hasnā€™t been enough to change their direction for the past few years.

#10060 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

We have a great charitable community. But JJP is a company, not a charity. There is no reason ever for us as a consumer to have to pay to fix our machines under reasonable warranty claim. It is just crazy to think some are suggesting we pay even at wholesale cost, for replacement PFs. That is like a new car manufacturer telling us after only driving a couple hundred miles, sorry the paint is chipping, peeling, cracking all over the place, but we will let you pay cost to have it repainted. No one, absolutely no one would agree to that scenario. Do we just roll over and say, just play pinball? Thatā€™s exactly what they want us to do, the cowards way. There are a bunch that are affected now, but it is only a matter of time when a wider number are affected. These PFs are ticking time bombs, as we have years of JJP PF known issues as examples to draw from. Voting with our dollars is the only thing JJP will understand. Stop buying till this problem is really fixed, not just a band-aide.

My new Jeep had a lot of scratches, chipped paint, and even a bent B pillar after a few hundred miles. Probably because I drove it through some pine trees while off-roading

I absolutely understand why someone would be angry if their playfield starts chipping in less than a year. Generally consumers expect their product to not experience damage if itā€™s used as intended and not put in unusual circumstances (like jousting a tree in a Jeep). I donā€™t think them expressing their disappointment makes them toxic, no more than others who lack empathy and tell them to eff off when they warned others about this problem earlier in this thread.

We each have own degree of tolerance for this kind of damage and wear. Personally, Iā€™m ok with some small chipping adjacent to posts as long as it can prevented or concealed with washers and doesnā€™t spread further.

For better or worse, my preorder was so late that Iā€™ll probably have 9+ months to see how this unfolds. Iā€™ll be following Fooā€™s experience very closely - I hope his 3/4 inch washers solve the problem more or less permanently.

#10115 2 years ago

At least GNR is being discussed here. You guys should check out the Mandalorian reveal thread. The current topic is which programmer has the longest schlong.

#10117 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

In the Haggis Fathom thread we are talking about aussie snack foods.

That sounds way more entertaining!

#10242 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

My distributor notified me that my GNR LE is shipping this week, ordered on December 15th. Game is paid in full, can't wait to receive this masterpiece and bolt on all of the Lior mods I've been stockpiling. Hoping for no issues, but either way, I plan to address all trouble areas before playing a single ball. It's been a long time since I had a GNR (Data East) in the lineup and I have a feeling this JJP is going to blow me away. I'm ready for the @#%*&% jungle baby!

Wow, that was a big jump for JJP to already reach mid December orders. Does this mean their manufacturing is accelerating?

#10462 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'd rather leave the rubbers off and preserve the original gameplay intent.

Wouldnā€™t we all

#10545 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Here's what matters at the end of the day ...I probably have spent about 15+ hours just on playfield repair adding washers, ironing, tweaking, repairing...
This game represents the most labor I've ever had to put in on a NIB pin...not just the playfield. I definitely cannot at this point, recommend a JJP pin for a first time NIB user or someone new to the hobby...it is far too labor intensive and really requires a lot of maintenance and fabrication in a lot of places, and a ton of creative thinking and patience.
Repairs or replacements consisted of (I'm probably leaving things out):
spotlights, lockdown bars, mylar on sticks, cliffy protection, scoop hoods, fans for flipper fade (say that 3 times fast), rubbers, rail adjustments, rattling in backglass, sunken disk, magnet too high, fences sticking, machine not booting up, vinyl bubbling on decals, flipper alignment, shooter lane fence lower, this doesn't include all my own mods for fun...
DESPITE ALL OF THAT...this is simply a must have pin in my collection and is never leaving unless it decides to.
I totally can understand how this pin is not for everyone. It is not a plug and play pin solution in most cases. Maybe you are lucky and haven't had to tweak a thing.
Going forward, JJP really needs to step it up in pre release wear game testing...a bunch of these issues probably could have been worked out before distribution if someone from QC put 1000 games on a cross section of games.
This picture is all that matters now. It shoots like butter, is completely dialed in, despite the washers...here is my player view poistion. I Love this game.[quoted image]

Heh, I just spent 2 days on a NIB Deadpool installing washers under ball guides that are known to scrape the PF plus all my mods. 9hrs spent day 1, 4+ hrs spent day 2.

Granted itā€™s my first pin and I was learning the basics as I went, so everything took waaaaay longer than normal. After that experience Iā€™d be ok with 15hrs on GNR

#10558 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Say you keep multi ball going the entire song. You never get a cash out opportunity. The songs all vary in length but on full completion you should get the jackpot. The applause jackpot feels like it should be a separate award. I mean itā€™s a bit frustrating that you can play excellent and then miss out on a huge score because you fail to hit one shot in the last 10 seconds. Just my opinion. It still keeps the risk reward feature in place, just provides a little more satisfaction

Maybe make it an option in the settings menu?

1 week later
#10918 2 years ago

Maybe if owners and prospective owners were allowed to discuss their issues/concerns, and continue to work through them without being told to leave and that theyā€™re ruining the thread, theyā€™d be less defensive and adamant, and then move on.

Thatā€™s how it worked in the Deadpool thread when people discovered the guide rails were scraping off the art. People there actually thanked others for discovering it, and new owners were greeted with a warm welcome and kind suggestions to fix their guides to prevent damage. It was considered common courtesy, not ruining the thread.

Having read both the DP and GNR threads from start to finish, it seems the more people here try to suppress discussions on play field damage the more it gets discussed. Just a thought - let people work through a very real problem and rather than push back, instead post about the other topics you want to discuss to steer the conversation.

#10920 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Exactly this. I fixed my DP playfield thanks to that owners thread and havenā€™t had a care in the world since, play the snot out of my DP, and itā€™s been well over a year. Iā€™m hoping the same comes to fruition with GNR. I donā€™t have time to flip flop between multiple threads, I tend to just follow owner threads of the games I own on a daily basis. this is the owners thread; letā€™s discus, adapt, and overcome so we can enjoy the game enough to discuss its gameplay.

Same here - I preemptively fixed those DP guides and now Iā€™m flipping away worry free

And thanks to the play field discussions in this thread, I feel confident about the fixes identified and canā€™t wait to receive my GnR pre-order!

#10935 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's the thing. The issue and solutions have been discussed to death already.
I am 100% in favor of identifying issues and sharing fix info. But there also comes a point where we're just piling on and beating a dead horse.

I wouldnā€™t agree with that at all. When people first started posting about playfield damage, you and others chased them out of the thread.

So rather than acknowledge the problem and encourage a fix to be brainstormed right away, the problem went unaddressed and percolated to other machines. Now you have more playfields with damage that could have been prevented had you and others not bashed people who tried to help other owners, which means more people now have damage, which means there are more posts discussing it.

You reap what you sow. The best you can do now is a) let the thread discuss it as they will so that new owners or future owners arriving in the thread spot the problem and take proactive steps so they donā€™t discuss damage in the future, and b) just post topics you want to discuss.

#10959 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Don't forget pintips.net as well. Handy site, and nice and bareboned for quick searching/browsing, but not a lot of people know about it.

Cool site, thanks for the tip on pintips

#10963 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Exactly how I feel! Iā€™ve been following this thread and taking notes since I ordered in January. I donā€™t think a lot of people have the time or inclination to do the same, so I get it when I read questions that have been answered ten times, and I ainā€™t mad. Weā€™re gonna see a lot of repetition. Iā€™ve stayed mostly off since I donā€™t have mine yet and canā€™t really contribute anything, but Iā€™m supposed to be getting mine soon and Iā€™ll be darn happy to try to be more helpful. I donā€™t mind people posting about almost anything game related.
I totally get how annoying it is to read playfield concerns over and over when youā€™ve had your game for a while and you want to talk strategy, lost jackpots, and parse out rules moreā€¦ but hey, weā€™re all at different stages of the process. Soon I hope to have some ability to take all the strategy posts and make some sense of what to doā€¦ but dangit, I havenā€™t been taking notes on that stuff!

Out of curiosity, did you receive an ETA on your order? I have a Feb pre-order and I'm very interested to hear when Jan orders start shipping

#10965 2 years ago

Wow, nicely done. Sounds like your distro ordered that unit before January. I ordered directly through JJP in Feb, so I'm guessing mine will arrive significantly later.

#10970 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

I hope sooner than you think Xelz! I donā€™t know how many jjp allocates themselves in the schedule or how long the queue was. But the games seem to be coming faster and more furiously here latelyā€¦

I hope JJP was able to speed up production, heh.

I ran the math back when I ordered - at that time the rumor was a 3,000 unit backlog and PinMonk (IIRC) estimated 50-60 units produced per week. Assuming a week or two off for holidays, that would take exactly a year to produce my order. Which I was ok with when I ordered. If JJP delivers earlier, it'll be a welcome surprise

#10974 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

This should be fun!!![quoted image]

Hmmmm, fly to the GnR show or stay at home while the in-laws visit... decisions, decisions...

Btw, charge your phone!

#11002 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I thought that I read that someone removed the plastic washer from a trouble area and the pooling was gone.
Has anyone else checked their playfield condition by removing a clear washer?

For reference, it was this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/217#post-6322566

You could check with @fooflighter. He was one of the first to install clear PETG washers and may have checked under them.

#11019 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I ironed all my pooling prior to putting down clear PETG. I haven't touched them since I put them down (something about not fixing what's not broken) but they look the same from above coming up on 1000 plays since installing them. No new damage, no edge pooling, no pressure squeezing into the playfield...they look perfect. Even the PETG's that i scored or cut to fit haven't fractured, cracked or anything. Love that material.
My son came home from college for the past week and we've had a blast playing it. He really loved it and thought it looked amazing. I showed him my fixes and he thought it came from the factory that way. I don't even see them anymore to be honest. I know it sucks but for those who already have the game or are getting it who either have issues or are worried...but you can get after it the minute you notice some shiny pooling if you choose to wait and see if your's is affected...at this point you can arrest further issue by being immediately proactive.
These were both just taken with 1000 plays since install...as well as the rest of the playfield
[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome to hear. Thanks for finding a solution to the problem and posting your updates. The clear washers look fine to me and I agree that, if I didnā€™t know better, I wouldā€™ve assumed they came that way from the factory.

Just received my washers from Pinball Life. Now I just need to wait another 9 months for my GNR

1 week later
#11424 2 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

Hey guys
I got the call from JJP that my machine is very close to shipping. I am really torn about going ahead with the purchase. I have been super excited about the game, and the one-of-a-kind gameplay experience it offers. And it combines our families passion for live music with pinball. But it is heartbreaking to see all of the playfield issues and other quality issues with the game. Any word on what these new post kits are that JJP is shipping out? I have hopes that can help keep the playfield issues at bay. So ultimately, the tough question is, is the game really worth it given all of the challenges to keep the game going? Are there a lot of GNR owners that are happy with the game? I know I see some here on the forum, but they seem to be drowned out by so many folks having problems with the game.
Thanks,
MacJedi

Based on all the recent evidence, buy and install the PETG washers recommended by Fooflighter. That appears to prevent any playfield damage around the posts.

Nothing is 100% guaranteed to work, but if I were in your position (and I jealously wish I was!) Iā€™d make the purchase

#11454 2 years ago

I wish I had a GnR that I could complain about, heh. Counting down the months before mine arrivesā€¦

#11477 2 years ago

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but donā€™t consumer protection laws in many European countries put the onus of replacements/returns on the distributor if problems arise?

If thatā€™s the case and I was a distributor there, Iā€™d be covering the playfield in Kevlar

#11489 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Not helpless, no. It's just that I have this absurd notion that when I drop 10k for an elaborate toy, I'm going to be able to play the game instead of shutting it down for an extended period of time to iron a pooled playfield and install additional washers. Out-of-the-box adjustments are one thing, but I'm not eager to invest time in a machine to address aesthetic issues on a brand new game.

I wouldnā€™t worry about it, the work wonā€™t seem that bad once you do it. I received a NIB Deadpool a month ago, which is notorious for ball guides that scrape off the clear and art. They required removal and washer installs - basically similar to the situation with GnR only different causes.

I dreaded the work on Deadpool and it turned out to be fine. The GnR posts should be no worse, if not easier, considering how much had to be disassembled on Deadpool to remove those guides.

#11553 2 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Anyone know what would cause the keyboard sensors to pickup upon trough eject? Thatā€™s the only time I can tell that they misfire, every game. Iā€™ve tried reseating connectors, and calibrating, to no avail. Iā€™ve searched this topic, but havenā€™t seen this particular issue with the sensors.

Different machine and different opto switches, but Iā€™ve had bad opto switches that triggered on vibrations before (trough eject, flippers, even my subwoofer going off). In my case, reseating connectors, repositioning the switches, etc. didnā€™t work - it was just a sign that the switch went bad. Bought a new one, replaced it, worked like a charm.

#11566 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Just got it today actually...Sorry no photos but I broke my phone camera lens yesterday
It was 3 posts, including nuts and black washers...I'm assuming they are for the 2 posts near the AXL lanes and the one by the AMP GNR Lanes...I think they may be longer. There were also black washers with notches in them for the metal fence proximity to the inlane post.
The other part of the kit was repacement posts and clear washers for the slings. Mine already came installed with and have never been an issue in that area.
So it seems like an interim type kit as the new ones going out already have all the fixes. I may take the posts out and replace them but I've got everything else already covered.

Good to see JJP is tracking solutions from the community and implementing them.

Personally, I like the black washer look.

#11666 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

A big rolled up rug cannot be cheap to ship to UK
All good stuff is always overseas....

I mean this in the kindest possible way, but doesnā€™t that come with the territory of living on an island?

1 week later
#12095 2 years ago

I've been away from the thread for a bit to follow the Spooky reveals. Did I read correctly that JJP has now stopped adding the black washers and longer posts to new machines? And they further limited the scope of their warranty?

I previously applauded them for taking steps to protect their customers, but now this feels like they're getting into sleazy territory. Even if they ran out of parts, the prudent thing to do would be to fix your supply chain and wait for the parts to build the machine right.

GnR still looks awesome, but I'm liking JJP less and less.

#12101 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

There's nothing to indicate that they have stopped adding washers and posts improvements. Latest shipments have shown these modification. What you may be referring to is a post of one request made to support for a may build that did not have these changes and they replied to this person due to supply chain issues they can't send parts and go source from Marco or pinball life.
As for the limited warranty, the may GNR manual is very limited compared to nov2020 version last year.
November
JJPā€™s Limited 90 Day Bumper to Post Warranty
What is covered on the game?
Our Bumper to Postā€œ Limited Warrantyā€ covers every part in your new Jersey Jack Pinball Machine for 90 days from the date of purchase written on your invoice. The LCD monitor will be covered for 1 year from the date of purchase written on your invoice.
What is not covered? Tax, labor, service calls, loss of income, negligence, misuse, abuse, alteration, modification, rust, warping, damage caused by electrical surge, intrusion of any liquid, fire, theft, acts of God,
improper repair, installation, testing and improper electrical connections, damaged caused by converting game from one region to another.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/gnr/GNR_Manual_Nov2020.pdf
May 2021
What is covered on the game?
Our Limited Warranty covers only the items listed below (ā€œCovered Partsā€) from the date the machine is shipped to JJPā€™s authorized distributors
(or directly to the original owner), for the period of time indicated (the ā€œWarranty Periodā€):
1. Printed circuit boards (game logic). Warranty Period ā€“ Sixty (60) Days.
2. LCD monitor. Warranty Period - Two Hundred Seventy (270) Days.
What is not covered on the game?
JJPā€™s Limited Warranty does not cover anything other than the Covered Parts during the Warranty Period. JJPā€™s Limited Warranty also does
not cover claims for Covered Parts arising from misuse, abuse, alteration or modification, rust, warping, damage caused by electrical surge, intrusion of any liquid, fire, theft, acts
of God, improper repair, installation, testing and improper electrical connections, or damage caused by converting game from one region to another.
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/gnr/GNR_Manual_May2021.pdf

Thanks, so it sounds like builds after May still have the extra/improved parts installed.

#12243 2 years ago
Quoted from liorillusion:

Resin is much much more durable than 3D printed ABS or PLA. we are not doing resin print that get damage very easy and doesn't suitable for production. we are doing CASTING with silicone molds ONLY! and also the quality is 1000 times better than 3d printed parts. its all made by hand! if it will brake also during installation or after long time just contact me and you will get new one with no charge at all. we stand behind our products
[quoted image]

Did you check it in person? There is over 200 kinds of resins. We are using the best resin by smooth on that is flexible and also can get big impacts. same for the paints. its only because sometimes the air is trapped in the tiny spots also if we are using vacuum or pressure chambers. but as i said if it broke you will get new one

+1 to resin instead of plastic, especially 3D printer plastic. Can't wait to receive my machine so I can buy these mods

#12247 2 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

I bought all the mods, and I'm still waiting to receive my machine.

Heh. So I did that with Deadpool - bought a gazillion mods and a subwoofer. And then the machine arrived with a damaged cabinet. Luckily my distributor is working with Stern to send me a replacement cabinet (I'll still need to move everything else over), but it made me realize I need to wait for the machine to arrive before investing way too much money into mods.

1 week later
#12747 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I ordered direct 12/30/20 and have been told by JJP to expect a fall ship date. If yours was October 8 direct, and flip out just gave one of their customers their Le from October 15 order then they are shipping slower than I thought. I'm sure I remember some posts on here from people ordering direct at the end of October and getting theirs. I also thought there was some very few first of November direct orders being received. So just makes no sense to me. I thought for sure they'd be into November by now. October 8th is very disappointing.
Another comment is that last I saw some recent unboxing that they were shipping in the 1200s or 1300s referencing the license plates.... The flipnout le just received was 1729 from mid October .... Draw your own conclusions there. My conclusion is that there is a lot of pins being shipped out and their owners are just not on pinside.

As you may have noticed or determined , I think JJP direct is always slower because you're in one big honking line.... I chose to go direct because I didn't know I even had a distributor model at the time I ordered and I thought going direct to the source was going to be faster. Apparently it's slower and just puts more money in JJP's pocket because they don't have to pay a distributor. Doesn't help me a bit. Not to mention I've got to deal with the installation and pick up all by myself with no help. If I could switch to a distributor I would do it in a heartbeat.
Going through a distributor seems faster is most all cases and extremely fast in tdiddy case. His order was like Amazon fast. That's crazy. I've seen other distributors deliver in few months too. I have a personal opinion that the larger the distributor The more orders, the slower it will be because they only are allotted so many. But there is not consistent data to support this just my feeling. So not only would I go with a distributor if I could do it again, but I would go with a small distributor, maybe smallest possible and preferably with less than three orders pending.
Because everything is so inconsistent and data from the posts here and who they order from and at what time they ship I feel like there's a lot of back scratching going on, but maybe that's the impatient conspiracy theorist in me.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"e5f8a232ffaeb5515cba71bb4628ea50484d59cd-1627175883-1800"};
//]]>

JJP offers white glove delivery and installation if you donā€™t want to pick it up yourself. At least thatā€™s what their site mentioned and what they told me over email when I pre-ordered

1 week later
#13039 2 years ago

Pricing aside (which personally Iā€™m ok with $500), itā€™s good to see JJP at least offer the option to buy a replacement PF. Iā€™m also glad itā€™ll be at the end of the production run, giving them the most time to iron out (heh) their PF problems.

If nothing else, it means you could have a spare PF that you can let sit and cure for years if you wanted to. Or replace a chipped playfield when you want to sell the machine and potentially add more than $500 back to the value of your resell.

Should JJPā€™s warranty cover their playfield problems since these issues are more common than just a few outlier cases? Yeah. But this is another step thatā€™s better than nothing.

(Bracing myself for the downvotes )

#13064 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

The sound quality on the this machine is extremely bad for a music pin. I've seen posts about adding pinwoofers and powered subs with alligator clips, but has anyone tried to add a bluetooth soundbar and sub?

I canā€™t speak for JJP machines, but the upgrade PinWoofer makes for Stern games raises the sound quality to a whole new level. Itā€™s the next best thing to installing your own amp and reference speakers, and without all the hassle that would entail.

#13080 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

So on the sound front, I have a pretty nice home stereo that happens to be in the same space as where the GNR is going when it arrives next week, and Iā€™ve been on the fence about pinwoofer. Not because I donā€™t think it would be great, but because I donā€™t have money to spend thoughtlessly. I figured Iā€™d see how it sounds out the box, then see about hooking it up through the stereo. It seems silly but itā€™s already right there and no harm in trying it out?
Is there an easy audio line-out in the game, or would I need to splice some wires, or what? If you think Iā€™m crazy, no need to post, Iā€™m aware, and Axl sings it to me every time I put on my GNR Lies (the superior version of that song all day every day).

Very curious to hear how your setup goes. I have a spare A/V receiver and was thinking about connecting it to the pin and some home audio speakers. My biggest concern is audio lag with a receiver, and the only truly lag-free solution I was able to find was an amp plus reference speakers (or PinWoofer).

#13204 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For Pinwoofer owners did you install the anti rattle tape on your Invisiglass? Does it matter what side of the glass it goes on? I'm not sure if the anti rattle tape adhesive would cause any damage to the Invisiglass glass.

Different machine and glass, but I installed their anti-rattle ā€œtapeā€ (more like a plastic strip) on PDI glass on my Deadpool. Side didnā€™t matter. It might affect the anti-glare coating under the tape if you peel it back off, but itā€™s on the edge and hidden by the glass guides, so youā€™ll never see that area.

For what itā€™s worth, their tape completely stopped my glass rattles. But thereā€™s no need to install it if your glass doesnā€™t rattle in the first place.

3 weeks later
#14429 2 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

I am closer to your point of view than others Zaph, loving the game.
I was just hoping to do the iron thing before putting a petg or Cliffy on, but thwarted by a stuck washer.
(Itā€™s the inlane amp/GnR post - suspect petg on top of that washer will increase impacts to the post butā€¦I dunno!)
And I prob would order a back-up pf, if there was any indication they were any differentā€¦

A similar situation in the Deadpool boards - related to a guide rather than posts - recommended applying painters tape around the affected area and holding it down while lifting the hardware.

Not sure if thatā€™s going to completely remove the risk of lifting or cracking the clear/art, though. I have a Deadpool guide clearly (heh) entrenched so far into the clear that it had cracking NIB and I left it the heck alone. No reason to make existing damage worse.

You could consider cutting a piece of Mylar that fits around the washer. It may help hold the pooling together to resist cracking and flaking off.

#14450 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Looks like Iā€™m going to a expo early on saturday
[quoted image]

Could you ask Mirco if he prefers the term ā€œchipping,ā€ ā€œcracking,ā€ or ā€œpoolingā€ to describe his playfields?

#14477 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, but I want to gather temp data of the magnet before I jump into that so I have a baseline. The diverter coil also gets VERY hot, well over 200F.

Considering the number of coils we need to cool, I'm wondering if the fan below would be more efficient?

In all seriousness, thanks for designing all your fan solutions. The pair on my DP made a noticeable difference, and I'll be ordering a GNR set as soon as my unit ships. Which will probably be well after you finish designs for the diverter and magnet

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14612 2 years ago

Do the best of both worlds: PinWoofer with an external sub

#14860 2 years ago

Whenever my GNR arrives Iā€™m definitely installing PinWoofer and an external sub. Dan sells an add on for the GT kit that provides a line-out for a sub with volume control inside the cabinet.

I did this to my Deadpool and holy s*** what a difference! First time I turned on DP with the new sound system my wife could hear and feel the pin from the other end of the house, on a different floor, and thought the neighbors were hosting a backyard party

#14885 2 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

Interested in ordering a LE. Anyone know if the playfield issues have been fixed as of late?
Thanks

Not fixed by Mirco or JJP (yet), but the community has made some progress problem solving solutions.

#15030 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Wtf. Let's put these disty pins with no orders on hold at JJP and blow through the back log of direct orders for a while, um-kay?

No kidding. Really wish I went through a distro instead of direct. Lesson learned for next time.

#15032 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Next time? Why would you put yourself through this playfield issue again?
There'll be no next time for me and JJP.

Heh, well, if they make another pin that blows my mind, then I'm willing to tolerate a JJP playfield. But it needs to be GNR or POTC good. Anything less and I'm fine buying from other great pinball manufacturers.

#15057 2 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Is it that worth it to buy with all these new titles coming out? Have not played one yet. I can't imagine people would want the machine if it is pooling and chipping. Sucks

Depends how much you like the pin. If itā€™s a must-have pin for you, then yeah, itā€™s worth putting up with a JJP playfield.

If it only tickles your fancy, then steer clear and buy a different pin.

Try one on location first to see if it impresses you.

#15113 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

What do you suppose would happen if a distributor ordered 15 LE's back in November on spec?
Perhaps they'd get them now, and perhaps they'd have a couple that aren't presold and are available for immediate delivery?
Not everything is a conspiracy.

Yeah, it's not a conspiracy. Or if it is, it's a bad one, because why would JJP conspire to prioritize distributor orders that make less margin per unit than direct orders?

Distro stock is obviously becoming available. Could be distros that ordered extra units on top of their customer pre-orders, or units freed up when customers cancelled their pre-orders, or a combination of the two. Either way, we're beginning to see "off the shelf" NIB supply hit the market.

#15274 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Had my GNR about a month now and loving it! Had some of the same issues folks have posted about in forum or brief key posts but wanted to add a few photos and all in one place as I just did all of these fixes and they all immensely helped! Thanks team!
Right flipper alignment issue: as some others reported, my right flipper was tilted slightly up from factory and it felt hard to hit left ramp. To adjust, simply loosen the hex nut with a wrench or hex driver in small increments while holding the flipper. Once the flipper moves, adjust it to the preferred angle and hold it in place while you retighten. Be sure the tighten as much as possible. Before "B" and after "A" pics included as well as a photo with hex nut circled.
Center scoop SDTM issue: another user glpinball kindly posted his fix of adding a washer to the left screw holding the scoop down. This worked for me too! Luckily both left and right scoop screws can be accessed with a long Philips head from top of playfield carefully through guitar head. Magnetized screwdriver or magnetic wand may help with screws. Pic of screw to add washer under is circled.
Center scoop protector not level to playfield: was having issues with side shot never going into scoop. See in photo from factory the scoop protector was arched up on both sides, causing the issue. Used a piece of felt for protection and just pressed gently down with needlenose pliers. Don't go too hard so you don't dig into playfield.
Right ramp ball jam between left drumstick and gate: as another user PeterG posted, loosen the 2 screws on the gate, slide gate back a bit ensuring still in line with ramp exit. Also add a washer or 2 per glpinball under the back left post of right ramp (circled pic). This should end ball jam issue.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Could this be stickied?

Edit: Er, made a key post?

#15335 2 years ago

IIRC, someone claimed that Jack told them he had 3,000 orders for GNR back in January. I know they pull these LE numbered plates a bit randomly, but itā€™s probably safe to assume that roughly 2,000 of them have been distributed.

That would mean JJP shipped about 2/3rds of their orders through Jan. Itā€™s also close to the 1yr anniversary since GNR was announced, so accounting for CE a d SE production, JJP has probably been manufacturing at a ~3-3.5K annual average.

If that rate doesnā€™t change - either faster due to new facilities or slower due to parts and labor shortages - then it would take roughly 4 months to get through the remaining 2020 orders.

As someone who ordered direct back in Feb, that means JJP is still on track to deliver in Feb 2022, which is what I estimated back when I placed my order. So they havenā€™t gone faster, but they also havenā€™t slowed down, either, which is impressive during all these pandemic shortages.

2 weeks later
#16209 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I agree that you think you're king frog. But honestly, that's about it. Here comes the down vote from you... Wait, wait for it, ah...there it is.

I'll admit, I read the exchange too quickly and thought Vespula's GNR machine finally shipped, not the keychain

1 week later
#16596 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Lesson Vespula order from a disto, but you already know
[quoted image]

I'm in the same boat as Vespula. Also, lesson learned

Jack said there were about 3K pre-orders already placed by the time I ordered mine, so I'm anxiously watching the serial numbers creep up toward 3,000.

#16625 2 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Joined two JJP clubs this week including GnRā€¦
[quoted image]

Niiiice. Whatā€™s the other one, Wonka?

#16726 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Farmer style!! # 1776 showed today, bicentennial number is pretty cool. Sept build , no issues at all. What a great game!!

Congrats and awesome game room design! What's your serial number if you don't mind me asking?

#16729 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Only complaint is audio sux, but pinwoofers will be here tmrw or Wednesday so I'll manage

Yeah, Pinwoofer will be a great upgrade! Looks like JJP is still in the low/mid-2,000 LEs produced. Pretty good progress so far, especially considering supply and labor shortages.

#16791 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Mine donā€™t hit the slings, but counter clockwise orbit is close to down the middle. I can always save it, it hits around 3/4 of the left flipper, but itā€™s an ugly chaos right after and I should surely try to reign that in a bit. Shooting multiple orbits does sound fun.

If there's anything I've learned after owning my first pin, it's that dialing in orbit guides is a PITA. I'll gladly install washers under every post if necessary, but adjusting guides by a hair one way or another to hit a sweet spot on a flipper drives me crazy.

700+ plays in and I'm still trying to get my DP's left orbit guide aligned correctly.

1 week later
#17100 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Bingo! .. She wants to finalize because it shipping soon!!! That's a good sign for those with a direct order. Mine was placed 12/30/20.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"c9aa7dde4335b7bdb4e8b60b84297b5efce26ddf-1635947781-1800"};
//]]>

Hallelujah! Your order was a couple months before mine, which bodes well for us early 2021 orders. Hope yours gets delivered by T-Day!

#17101 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Exactly why all the "fix" posts were such a waste of time. It is what it is, play it and have fun. Get the playfield offer. Swap it when it's time to sell, or sell the backup with the game. Life is short.

Eh, itā€™ll take maybe a day with some beer breaks to put mitigating measures on those posts. Itā€™ll probably take more time making tweaks to get shots to flow correctly, avoid ball hang ups, etc.

No problem if people want to just straight up play their pin. Heck, no one is forcing you to wax the playfield, either. But I personally donā€™t mind some proactive maintenance. I actually find it somewhat therapeutic and I learn a lot about my pin along the way

That said, canā€™t wait to actually get my copy so I can join the gameplay discussions.

#17200 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

Sweet. Congrats! Iā€™ve got a box of parts as well and waiting for mine to come in. I think itā€™s close so Iā€™m hoping it will arrive before Thanksgiving (fingers crossed). Iā€™m just a bit south of you in Bothell, WA. dobler on Scorbit.

Nice, hope yours arrives soon! Seems like there's a small cluster of us out here - I'm north of you, and southeast of Marysville, in Snohomish.

#17384 2 years ago

Looking forward to trying Scorbit in the future. In regards to challenges, Iā€™ve enjoyed Zenā€™s approach that letā€™s you issue a challenge with X attempts over Y days. Then both you and everyone you challenged gets the same number of tries.

#17470 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Went to install my cliffy scoop protector and found this ā€¦.

On the bright side, you now have one of the coolest looking cosmetic mods

#17641 2 years ago
Quoted from trailrider:

Interesting that you would say those blue bumpers are a "wear item". It seems to me they one of the many not very well thought out pieces of this game. Think of the Addams Family "chair" with the posts on either side, I have never in 20 years had to replace them.

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™ve had to replace post rubbers long before the ā€œblue nubs of death.ā€ Might just be the angle at which the ball is hitting these on GNR that maybe wears them out faster, but theyā€™re definitely a wear item. Keep a few on hand for replacing like you would any rubber on a pin.

#17723 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I thought the same thing. If someone could post up all the cheat settings to change make it easier on scorbit that would be helpful.
Or maybe JJP can code in with the scorebit integration so if you're actually responding to a challenge that uses default settings so everyone's on the same level play field ... Then again maybe it just doesn't matter

Yeah, itā€™d be great if we can quickly switch between default and custom settings for Scorbit challenges. Or is there a way in Scorbit to make a challenge specific to the coded tournament rules?

I plan to increase the MB ball save timers among other rule tweaks, partly for me but mostly because our guests are inexperienced pinball players and would enjoy a bit more time on songs to hook their interest. But Iā€™d like to ā€œcompeteā€ on a level playing field when it comes to Scorbit challenges.

#17726 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

While we're on the subject of the washers, this is interesting. While swapping out the clear washers that came with the pin on the slings, I noticed they are not flat on the bottom. Instead, they have a raised ring in the center and outer edge. Wonder if this was by design? I can't see any advantage and I would think they might make indentations (although I didn't see any).
As an FYI, I've been putting a clear PETG washer on pretty much every post on the pin (although the black ones really do look fine) and in only one case was there any pooling, and that post was not tightened down from the factory, so it was leaning slightly and digging in to the pf from the rubber pulling.[quoted image]

That washer design seems counterintuitive to what the washer should accomplish to mitigate pooling. One of the theories is to spread the downward force over a larger area to create less pressure at each point, but that only works if the washer is flat. The other theory, per Fooflighter, is that PETG washers make an inverted conical shape that doesn't put pressure at the circumference of the washer, thus preventing pooling at the washer's edge.

This design doesn't seem to benefit from either theory or purpose.

Maybe Mirco fixed their playfields and it doesn't matter anyway. Personally, I'll replace any of those washers with PETG clears that I bought from Pinballife. I'll be removing them all to place mylar under the washers, so might as well replace the washers while I'm at it.

#17729 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's because that black washer is cut from a tube and the PETG ring is cut from a flat sheet. It's a manufacture artifact from the process.

original (resized).pngoriginal (resized).png
#17740 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Folks just know we're hearing you loud and clear about challenges. Ironically they've been around for over a year but we really do need to roll out more data and instructions on using them! We're taking in all this feedback and you will start seeing changes soon.

Heh, no worries. I think weā€™re just brainstorming wishlist items. I donā€™t even have my pin yet, so donā€™t take it as any sort of criticism. The current feature set already sounds great

1 week later
#18183 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Sorry to be a downer guys...
I'll work on this over the weekend.
I've had my 2 weeks of fun playingb and modding it.. now it's time to get on it.. it, being the not as fun "bulletproofing" stuff.

If heating and smoothing out the Mylar doesnā€™t work, one option could be removing the entire mylar piece and using it as a stencil to draw and cut another piece from a fresh sheet of mylar.

Edit: Also, if you do place new Mylar there, maybe cut out a larger area around the post so the washer doesnā€™t rest directly on the Mylar. That may help prevent this from happening again.

1 week later
#18413 2 years ago

If thereā€™s anything I learned when trying to ā€œcalibrateā€ TV settings, itā€™s that personal preference varies a ton. Some people like the highest color and gamma curve accuracy, others want colors to pop or the deepest possible dark areas and donā€™t care about black or white crush. And room lighting matters a lot, too.

#18445 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

Having a problem with SDTM drains from the left guitar lock. It started after I installed the scoop Cliffy. Not sure why, because all connections are tight and both Playfields are level. I did record the ball in slow-mo, and it is careening off the left catwalk as others have noticed. Not sure why it wouldnā€™t do it before, I canā€™t recall a single SDTM during prior to the Cliffy install. I did increase the lock release duration to maximum which helped (I think the coil was releasing too soon and shooting up against the ball as it was being released which made it worse) But I still get one in five or so SDTM. Any ideas? I know some people have used bumpers to cushion the catwalk impact but I feel like that would be a last resort, and Iā€™m not sure why it worked fine before the Cliffy install without a bumper being needed.
Tried to link slow mo video prior to adjusting the coil:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xmxPJjJ2y3LwGtp6

Has anyone tried putting sorbothane on the inside edge from where the ball drops to prevent it from bouncing into the catwalk? I donā€™t have my GNR yet to test this, but itā€™s prevented unwanted bounces on other machines.

#18457 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Fact of life my friend...only way to avoid dimples is not to play and I certainly do not advocate that

Yeah, dimples are a fact of life with pinball. Learn to love 'em

#18557 2 years ago
Quoted from Jones130:

Hello guys!
What does this package contain that you have to open first?
[quoted image]

If itā€™s the warranty, then it can go straight to the trash

1 week later
#18856 2 years ago
Quoted from etr104:

So I haven't seen too many people in this thread complaining about how long it's taking to get their game. In fact I haven't seen much in the way of 'unboxing' type posts in the past month or so. Does this mean that JJP is finally pretty much all caught up in terms of manufacturing? I got my game in September after a 10 month wait, but I'm curious how they are doing for everyone now?

Ordered in Feb and still waiting on mine. Based on the serial numbers people have been sharing, Feb ā€˜22 seems like the most likely ETA for my machine.

#18908 2 years ago
Quoted from abelelectronics:

Anyone interested in a fresh game off the line PM me. I have some coming next week from JJP. I can drop ship one right from the factory.

Would love to, but I already committed to a JJP direct order with a non-refundable deposit

At least this means JJP is still cranking these machines out the door despite omicron and every other global production nightmare.

1 week later
#19253 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My right flipper has been mushy feeling since day 1, not bad but not strong. I put stiffer springs on both today and huge difference. Very snappy now, had to turn back down to factory settings

What springs did you use?

#19331 2 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So orders from April/May are getting theirs now, right? Trying to figure out current wait time if I order anLE now lol!

I can confirm that direct orders from Feb havenā€™t all fulfilled yet. But as Vespula said orders from distros could arrive at any time depending on when the distro ordered from JJP.

#19461 2 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

How is everyone handling the chip playfield issues? I have a chance to get a used one but of course there is a chip behind a metal post. Are we filling them in with something? Covering with washers? Thanks for the input. Just trying to get a game plan. At 10.5 not sure if i should even mess with it.

Just piling on what others said: for nearly the same price you can get a NIB with playfield issues greatly reduced if not fixed entirely, plus warranty coverage. And Abel just posted that they have NIBs available.

#19686 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Awesome ! just make sure you've worked all the bubbles (if any) out to the edges now. It dries over the next few days and there's no getting a bubble out at that point.
Once it dries it tightens up and really flattens out and looks even better!
P.s. don't forget to put your protectors on EVERYTIME you lift the playfield. I had to stop myself a couple times until it's a habit!

My mnemonic device before lifting a playfield is BBB:

- install Blade protectors
- remove Balls
- put towel over Back glass

#19695 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

New owner today, got a new Jan build GnRLE .. Absolutely love this game. However, a few issues I need advice on:
1. The bottom piece of wood of the head cabinet is cracked on the bottom. Should I return or try and fix?
2. Glass has three big black rubs. From rubbing the metal on playfield is my guess. I assume they will send me a new one.
3. The spring on the shooter rod is too weak. It wonā€™t launch a ball. I had another spring from a different game which I had to adjust to get just right.
I plan on contacting JJP on Monday. I am looking for advice on each issue. Pics attached.

At the least the glass would be easy to replace. Those smudges donā€™t come off with ammonia-free glass cleaner?

If thereā€™s a way to disassemble the back box then wood glue will prevent that crack from becoming a bigger problem. Worst case ask for a replacement back box and swap the new one in when it arrives.

#19699 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

I just got mine two days ago, had the same issue with scuffs in the glass. Left wire ramp and wire on apron rubbed the coating off the glass. JJP had me take pictures and are now sending me a new sheet. Sorry to see the damage to your back box, hope they do you right in fixing that. Best of luck.

Bummer. If the anti-glare coating rubbed off then definitely warrants a new sheet. Glad JJP is making it right.

#19714 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Sorry everyone, not trying to turn this thread into a commercial, but just to answer a couple of questions Iā€™ve gotten a bunch of times already, depending on how many preorders there are (the bigger the parts orders, the more I can save), the price for the Hyperlytes will be around $250-280, and USPS priority mail within the US will be around 15-25 bucks.
Here is the website with the high end of the cost on it (inventory is 0 so you canā€™t order them anyway) and a link to the preorder form, which will help me greatly in my parts orders! I will update anyone who signs up in a week or two and make sure youā€™re down! Thereā€™s no deposit or anything binding to be on the list, but please be reasonably sure youā€™d like a set so I donā€™t end up with a garage full of backups for my own GNR
https://bit.ly/3qRYJyD
Preorder Form:
https://forms.gle/jG27Yydvp8FpK3dn8

Super effing awesome. Pre-ordered.

#19750 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

There are two pieces of adhesive one at the top and one at the bottom on each rail.. so you could pop them off. I did it once already when I installed them upside down. Lol.
It's just a 3M adhesive so while they stay on there very well they're not permanent .. And of course the adhesive is replaceable.

For the back, maybe attach them with 3M Velcro? Then you donā€™t have to re-apply adhesive whenever you drop or remove the back box.

#19828 2 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I haven't liked the flippers on my GnR since I bought it December. They seemed slow to return compared my other games, and they bounced a little on return. I decided to give the Stern return spring a try. They are the same exact length and diameter, they're just a slightly stiffer spring. It's a night and day difference, especially with all the multiballs this game throws at you. Your flippers settle back to the rested position quicker, which allows you to be ready for the next ball quicker. No adjustments were needed to coil strength because I didn't notice any loss in power with the stiffer springs. They were only needed on the main and the upper right flippers. It's not needed for the upper playfield.
At $0.62 each, it's a great upgrade! These are the springs I bought if you want to give it a try.
https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-flipper-extension-spring.html

Thanks for the tip! I was going to test this same thing whenever mine arrives, but good to know in advance the Stern springs work.

#19875 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Incredible. Are your slings set to the default power or did you power em down? At factory standard I am drain city.

Iā€™ve been wondering about the best sling power setting. I was watching Karlā€™s latest stream and noticed quite a few times the ball would get stuck in a back-and-forth loop between the slings, then eventually break free straight into an out lane.

Seemed like the sling power needed to be higher or lower.

#19901 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Pretty much the same experience for me, sent an email regarding the blue snubber and got no response. Little Shop of Games is out of stock also. Thankfully mine are still good but it's only a matter of time.

Does anyone sell that blue rubber in a sheet or as blanks? Seems like the rubber could be cut and drilled to match the part. Is it the same rubber that Stern and W-B used for blue nubs?

#19924 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

In theoryā€¦ it would look even more like an actual record with the center hole.
In practiceā€¦ let us know.

Heh, Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing. Doesnā€™t it look weird if thereā€™s *no* hole in the middle of the record??

#19933 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a version of loctite (not blue) that's safe for plastics, but it's basically superglue, so buying superglue is cheaper...

Would plumberā€™s tape work? Iā€™ve never tried it on something as small as a screw, but maybe a tiny piece could help ā€œlockā€ everything in place?

#19937 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't know. Isn't plumber's tape (aka teflon tape) mostly for thread leak prevention? Like Depends for pipe threads...

It also creates more resistance in the threads. Might not be enough to make a difference, though. Something to try whenever my GNR arrives.

#19942 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Damn, and I was SO sure your pin would be here in January.. must be weather related issues messing with my calculations.

Heh, yeah weather, omicron, continued supply chain issues.

#19959 2 years ago

Just wanted to note that we reached page #400 in this thread. Keep it up and we might surpass "THE~NEXT~STERN~PIN" in page count

#19966 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Goodbye cruel game.
[quoted image]

Sorry to see you go punkin. Maybe I'll see you on the MM owners thread if CGC follows through on their 2023 run.

#19976 2 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

anyone hear anything about a code update? Would love to see some better scoring for album modes etc....ya know all the stuff we have been complaining about in this beast.

Nothing. Heck, POTC is still waiting for code updates and their final wizard mode.

#19997 2 years ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I took a nice gift today from the game, was down to 1 ball on a song, hit the scoop to progress to the next part of the song and decide between collect/add a ball, i guess song was about to end as while i took a few seconds to make up my mind, it said Applause Jackpot collected, guess it triggered since the song ended and ball was already in the scoop.

New high score to track: Biggest jackpot for indecisiveness

#20013 2 years ago
Quoted from mostater:

I'm super excited because I got an email yesterday that my LE has shipped and is on it's way! But it's been snowing pretty good these last couple of days and looks like there will be about 10-12" of snow when all is said and done. I have to dolly the box around the back, down a hill, and in through a basement door. That's not something I really want to attempt to do in all that snow. My options are to store in garage until ground conditions improve, which could be a while, or shovel a path in the yard. Getting into the house anywhere else besides that basement door is not an option.
What would you do? And is it safe to store the boxed up game in an unheated garage for a while?

Out of curiosity, did you order through a distributor or direct from JJP?

#20039 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Doesnā€™t the song volume increase automatically? Maybe this only happens if you have a certain song value and/or take the song it gives you? Maybe Iā€™m losing my mind

This. Plus, isnā€™t there also a setting to change how much the song volume increases automatically?

#20101 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

You will most likely have to poke a hole in the decal and tighten the screw in the record also. That fixes the wobble if I remember correctly. That's what the real issue was on mine. The wobble caused it to always be lower/higher on one side.
The fix for that is tightening the screw under the decal on the record.

Whatā€™s the best way to create that hole without tearing the rest of the record?

#20131 2 years ago

Hey folks, can we all agree that different people like to do different things to their machines? Youā€™ve got some owners here sharing tips for a mod they both like.

No one told you that you should add a Slash figurine to your machine, so why come in and tell them you donā€™t like their taste? Have some manners.

#20133 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If people post here to brag about it are they not inviting opinions?
To be clear your game is your game, trash it how you like but I donā€™t have to like it.

You donā€™t have to like it, but you donā€™t have to take a dump on their parade either. I donā€™t plan to mod my PF, but I respect other people enough to be happy that theyā€™re enjoying their purchase.

#20152 2 years ago

Art blade question: When watching streams I noticed the side rail lights ā€œreflectā€ off the black interior walls which creates a cool effect (at least at the cameraā€™s angle). Do you get that same effect as the player and if so, do the art blades impact it?

#20172 2 years ago
Quoted from PinsNJeeps:

In an effort to bring some positivity and joy to this thread on an otherwise dreary Monday morning, I have an unopened set of Tiltā€™s Legendary art blades. I ordered the official blades and these were sent instead. Tilt didnā€™t want them back and I have no use for them. If anyone would like them for your machine, let me know and they are yours. If you want to kick in towards shipping that would be appreciated, but not required.
To our friends outside of the lower 48, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s cost effective to ship them outside the country right now.
Have a Happy Monday everyone.

Heh, your photo shows how cool the side rail lights shine on the art blades. It wasn't your original intent, but you sold me on the official blades

#20179 2 years ago

I didn't watch that video from Karl since I'm trying to keep a few wizard modes unspoiled. But out of curiosity, does "No Sympathy for the Devil" provide enough points to compensate for the lower risk/reward return of the album modes? Just wondering if a long-term progression strategy toward the final wizard mode is worth it when playing for points.

#20192 2 years ago

There were a few posts a month or so ago about rubber rings being too tight and causing posts to dig into the playfield. You may consider swapping those rings with ones 1/4ā€ larger.

#20317 2 years ago

I've been searching the GNR manual until my eyes crossed looking for a list of all rubber rings and parts. I feel like an idiot, but can't find one in the manual. Does anyone know if it's in there, or if not, if anyone has a comprehensive list of all the rubber rings and sizes?

#20319 2 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Looks like I generated a lot of comments and discovered many folks had or have auto plunge issues, too. I have talked to JJP tech several times. The first check recommended by them was connectors. In my case, I had several sensors acting as if they were registering a "hit." I could see 4 or 5 sensors "flashing" by going to switch matrix. Thus, auto plunge triggered. As I mentioned, I had a Polk sub with Pinnovator to prevent ground issue. Still, I had problems with initial board and was sent 2nd board. The 2nd board is only acting up for one sensor now. JJP is sending me a third board. Hope that helps some folks as they trouble shoot.

Are the bulk of these auto-plunge issues in newer builds? I know it's been an off-and-on problem since day one, but there have been more reports recently. Wondering if JJP got a bunch of bad boards in their latest batch.

#20320 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

No list in the manual, but titan has lists customers have put together

Thanks, that's actually exactly what I needed the list for - to order a complete set of Titans. And I'm trying to figure out which of the overly-tight rings I need to upsize.

#20322 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Buy bigger by 1/4" on all the rings

Thanks again @hayfarmer. Just to confirm, all stock rubbers are clear/milky white (other than flippers)?

#20331 2 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

I spy. What's wrong with this picture?
[quoted image]

Lights, pyro, and amps still need to be lit

#20343 2 years ago

Itā€™s interesting to hear that auto-plunge issues related to the skill shot optos can be avoided just by unplugging that board. Makes me wonder if the code should be updated to not trigger auto-plunges off the skill shots.

Itā€™s not an exact fix for the problem, but seems it would make it far less of a PITA for those experiencing the issue until JJP identifies a permanent solution.

#20347 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Check page 151 using this manual.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/gnr/GNR_Manual_May2021.pdf
Remember most people recommend 1/4 size bigger, I havenā€™t needed any yet so canā€™t confirm.

Thanks!

#20348 2 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

They are just trolling us now.

It's nice to see their marketing people have a sense of humor.

#20352 2 years ago

LE is shipping in the next week or so, and think I've got everything I need on order. Am I missing anything important from a proactive maintenance and spare part standpoint?

Here's what I have so far:

- Titan silicone rings, 1/4" larger than stock in most cases
- PinMonk fans
- PinMonk air ball shield
- Ball Baron carbon steel balls
- Emax ES3054 servos
- PETG washers
- Cliffy's
- Nylon washers for the leg bolts

I have a few cosmetic upgrades like art blades plus PinWoofer incoming, but mostly I want to get the machine up and running as quickly as possible with spare parts on hand for common problems like the servos.

#20354 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Maybe just some extra flipper rubbers. They tend to wear out fast. Iā€™d also grab a few extra coil stops and a dozen coil sleeves on your next order

Thanks, completely spaced on the coil stops and sleeves.

#20367 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Mylar shooter lane, foam for pop bumper skirt, oil for lock diverters, lermods back box led kit, and blue rubber nubs around middle scoop.

Can anyone remind me who sells the blue rubber nubs? I checked a few weeks back when they were sold out and forgot which site it was.

#20369 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Little shop of games. Someone also mentioned jjp might have them now?

Thanks! PSA that Little Shop of Games has the blue snubbers back in stock.

#20372 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

New build The PinMonk stuff is priority A1. Personally on this game Iā€™d get a pinnovators tap and external sub as A1. I would still want this with pinwoofer.
All the other stuff is insurance. PETG will be a waste of time unless the clear coats have reverted.
Iā€™d also play the game with the old school hella bouncy rubbers in place before swapping out with titans. Something weirdly anti gravity about factory rubber.

Ordered a line trimmer with my PinWoofer kit to connect a SVS sub. Should be able to hear this pin from the other side of the house

#20418 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

Umm itā€™s a pretty common sentiment that the lack of a true plunge and a fairly simplistic skill shot on this game make for a pretty underwhelming plunge experience.
Scan through the reviews and you will see that Iā€™m far from the only one who feels this way.
Donā€™t get me wrong, I love this pin, but this is its weakest part.
I think it would help if they modified the code so that an underplunge automatically ends the skill shot and results in an auto plunge to start the ball. Otherwise itā€™s too easy to just under plunge until you get at least some skill shot, which to be honest, doesnā€™t really take any skill

I get what youā€™re saying. Personally I prefer skill shots that involve hitting specific shots from the flipper off a full plunge rather than precision short plunge shots. GNR could be the GOAT of short plunges and Iā€™d still prefer the super/secret skill shots from AfM and MM

But itā€™s just personal preference and to each their own.

#20498 2 years ago
Quoted from mostater:

Same here...rec'd a new board about 4 days after talking with Ken. I've only been able to put in a few games with the replacement board installed, but no issues so far.

Sounds like there were just a bunch of bad boards recently?

#20542 2 years ago

Finally

02DE48B4-5D7B-4FB2-BE4F-FE8CCBA30C0A (resized).jpeg02DE48B4-5D7B-4FB2-BE4F-FE8CCBA30C0A (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#20685 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Anyone else play with their Pinwoofer settings a lot? Who has truly spent the time to dial it in?
Anyone care? lol.
I have been experimenting and trying to dial it in for weeks and seems like a moving target.
I have tried so many combinations of pin volume, pw gain, pw vol, backbox vol, bass vol, bass freq and it seems something is always out of balance and I cant find the sweet spot in the range of my pin volume adjustment that works really well. Trying to balance all the sounds, songs, call outs, bass, treble (the treble setting is simple, I dont need to mess with that one much) but bass freq seems to easily exceed the limits of the 8" woofer if its not in the right area, and also you lack bass response if its too high or too low also. Bass volume setting depends on bass freq, AND pw vol, AND gain. any of those out of sync and you get the cone bottom out, or the skill shot sounds like the speakers are gonna blow.
The guitars riffs rocking when you press start get great, but call outs weak. So I adjust for the call outs and then the bass is too much and distorted. I change the master volume and everything shifts, and I have to back off the backbox and bass to the call outs are great. I up the gain to max and play around again, and same things but with some occasional background noise in between certain audio tracks.
Then I adjust my pin volume up or down 5 notches and it all gets out of whack again (not linear) so I tried vol on the pin at 25 and dial it in and it doesnt sound right at 20 or 30 anymore. Oh, and then there is this strange phenomena that I swear the volume goes up or down on its own during the game, and also I think the coin door with high voltage dropping and coming back is affecting things too sometimes, but I am not sure about this. I have been pulling the switch out to restore high voltage and keep the coin door open so I can adjust the woofer while i am playing btw.
I reboot the pin and it all starts over and seems different yet again. Sound quality is great but I cant find the settings that rock call outs, game music, songs, in both the midrange and especially bass.
What is your pin volume set to when you adjust the PW?
What is your pin volume set at that you play all the time?
Anyone obsessed about the sound enough to REALLY have played with all the dials?
Would love to see pics of your dials and then what is your gain at (2 oclock?) and what is your pin vol at?
Does your main play setting that sounds great also sound good moving pin volume up 5 and down 5 from your "go to" vol?

Welcome back Vespula! Iā€™m curious about this too, going to set mine up soon.

#20752 2 years ago

What exactly does "Volume Effect Intensity" affect? Also, does the "Music Mix" setting only impact songs or all music in the game, including the background music when not in a mode?

#20756 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Volume effect intensity turns up the volume while you are in a song mode. I just have mine turned off. I prefer an even level of volume throughout playing a game. However, I get that some people want to pump up the volume when the song is playing.

Thanks! That's exactly what I hoped it did

Edit: Follow-up question. How do Maximum Volume Effect and Volume Effect Intensity interact with each other? The manual says Intensity is a multiplier, while Maximum reads like it's a cap. So does raising the intensity do nothing if you don't also increase the maximum?

#20807 2 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Waiting for all my mods and bulletproofing/tear down b4 game 1. The anticipation is killing me. Thoughts on whether I should be proactive and change out original servoā€™s while their accessible?

I wouldnā€™t wait on in the servos, or even replace them until they die. Keeping the current servos wonā€™t harm anything.

Items that do prevent damage, like Cliffyā€™s, are things that I personally would wait for before game 1. But thatā€™s just me and I order them way in advance so theyā€™re here before my machine arrives.

#20822 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think advising newbies to disassemble and reassemble their brand new game (voiding the warranty) is poor advice.
But we'll agree to disagree.

Wait, JJP games still have a warranty?

#20887 2 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Polaris carbon from Ball Baron

Polaris have worked for me as well.

#20934 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's just a roller switch that has either bent too much or one of the wires (or diode) ends on it has broken. Go into switch test mode and press that roller down and see if it registers. Make sure your solenoids aren't enabled or it will kick your finger if it IS working. IF the switch works in switch test mode, you just have to re-bend the arm so the ball will press it enough to register. If the switch DOES NOT work in test mode, you likely have a broken wire or diode leg.
Last possibility if the switch doesn't work is a bad switch.

Out of curiosity, is there an interlock that disables the solenoids when the coin door is open?

#21011 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

So why is it that modern pinball machines donā€™t disable tilt when the machine goes into ball seek mode? Clearly a ball is stuck somewhere. Iā€™d rather shake it loose than have to pull off the glass. It seems like such a simple software change.

Somebody hire this man.

1 week later
#21166 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

JJP told me they are ending the run at the end of the summer. With over 3500 shipped already, it is possible that theyā€™ll reach 5000?
Say 3600 LEs produced so far. Add 500 Ce and say 500 SE? 4600 total. Started production around Sept 2020? Say 20 months. Thatā€™s about 230/month on average, but Iā€™m sure they are more efficient now, after 1.5 years of production. Say 250/month production. Four and a half more months until end of summer. That would estimate 4750. Thatā€™s pretty darn close to 5000 LEs. And a total ballpark.
I bet they complete the run.

Iā€™ll bet they complete the run. Theyā€™re on pace, orders have been strong, and JJP expanded their manufacturing capacity without announcing any new games (yet).

Kudos to JJP for plowing through their GNR run before releasing a new title.

#21173 2 years ago

Whatā€™s the consensus on installing Cliffyā€™s scoop protector vs. keeping the OEM part?

#21196 2 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

I kept the original part also - mostly bs I heard the cliffy is a time consuming job to install. I do however have both of the side ā€œtabsā€ lifting. Sounds like Cliffy also has this issue at times. I am curious if anyone with the original has had luck bending the tabs back down? I tried but they are metal and just seem to lift back up as soon as the pressure is off of them. Anyone have any tricks?

Iā€™ll apply Mylar over the wings, see if that keeps them from lifting over time. At least it canā€™t hurt.

#21236 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

Not sure why you wouldnā€™t just get the Cliffy. It works great and with the ā€œquickā€ install technique itā€™s like a 45 minute job.

I have the Cliffy (and plan to install the other Cliffy protectors elsewhere). There have been reports of Cliffyā€™s scoop protector edges lifting on GNR, hence the question.

#21250 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

You guys definitely removed the OEM metal ring lining the inside of the scoop right? It wasnā€™t super clear from the Cliffy install instructions. But thatā€™s critical to get a good fit of the Cliffy.
My Cliffy hasnā€™t budged in a year and snapped in like a glove.

Thanks for the tip. Will keep it in mind when I install mine. Sounds like Iā€™ll take my normal approach to Cliffā€™s scoop protectors - play with the OEM one until it breaks, and then swap in the Cliffy.

#21259 2 years ago
Quoted from barroncaliber:

is there a full playfield protector for gnr like is availalbe for godzilla ? i would like to better preserve my playfield from dimples longer term and am thinking this is a good thing to do unless there is a better informed opinon .

Dimples donā€™t really show as much as some people think they do, especially under most lighting conditions.

With a PF protector, you risk getting dirt trapped between the PF and the protector, plus it often makes games play differently than intended by design.

To each their own. Personally, I would recommend against a protector and just wax the PF every few hundred plays.

#21286 2 years ago
Quoted from skwal:

Hi guys,
I got a gnr le, i ve noticed on my left flipper, when the ball transition from the guide to the flipper it always do a small bump and it gets difficult to shoot onthe fly because of this.
This does not happen on the right flipper and the ball transition from guide to flipper is really smooth.
Is there a way to adjust this?
I ve put new rubbers on both flippers but it makes no difference at all
Thanks guys

You may want to angle the flipper down so it runs parallel to the ball guide. Also, check the guide to see if itā€™s sitting below the flipper and causing the ball to hit the flipperā€™s ā€œknuckle.ā€

1 week later
#21351 1 year ago

Finally, Iā€™m officially in the club! I actually received my NIB back in Feb, but between house renovations and throwing out my back I wasnā€™t able to set it up until this weekend.

Crazy question for you all (after some backstory): Whenever I get a new pin, I start with the feet fully screwed in on all legs and run a bunch of demo games to check for mechanical problems. Once thatā€™s done, I start working on pitch and leveling.

But oddly GNR seems to be playing perfectly at this extremely flat pitch. Every shot is smooth as butter, balls are landing square on the flippers from the scoop, plunge, and ball guides. Iā€™m almost nervous to raise it to a normal pitch with it playing this well.

So my question is, am I technically doing something wrong if I leave the playfield flatter than 6.5? Like am I making the game too easy? Usually I prefer very steep games, but damn sheā€™s playing so well at this angle.

#21355 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies, sounds like GNR sits steeper than I realized with the feet all the way in. This may be my first pin that doesn't require any dialing-in

#21358 1 year ago

Just a heads-up/PSA, I noticed minor pooling around a couple posts while setting up my NIB this past weekend. These were no big deal and nowhere close to chipping; I just covered them in Mylar and added washers under each post - problem solved. A couple notes in case this helps anyone:

- Both are posts with rubber rings that are arguably too tight, and you'll notice the pooling goes in the direction the posts are pulled

- Haven't found pooling around any posts with washers or posts that aren't part of a multi-post rubber ring group

- This pooling came straight out of the box with 0 games played (other than whatever JJP played for QA). Feb 2022 build

One other observation: The post at the top of the upper playfield felt tight, but only because it was fully screwed into the T-nut. However, the lock nut underneath wasn't fully secured, and that post would've loosened on its own and started moving around a lot. I was able to lift the upper playfield enough to tighten the nut without disconnecting any wires underneath (still disconnected the servo and hexagonal light wires at the back of the playfield).

IMG-3256 (resized).jpgIMG-3256 (resized).jpgIMG-3257 (resized).jpgIMG-3257 (resized).jpg
#21367 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

famous last words...

You jinxed me Vespula

I moved GNR from my work area to its permanent spot and the pitch changed from 5.8 to 6.3. Now balls coming down from the upper playfield drain went from swishing directly into the inlane to bouncing off the inlane post and traveling a slow, painful rainbow path into the left outlane.

Luckily everything else is still guiding the ball correctly. I love the flow of this pin, its silky smooth and every shot feels good.

#21371 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

wait... you were playing it at 5.8*? And now it's still only at 6.3*? You should definitely try it around 7.

Heh, I usually like my games at or above 7.0. But this GNR is playing so damn well at a low pitch.

#21375 1 year ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Does anyone have some knowledge as to why the pitch is different at different parts of the playfield? I set my GNR to fooflighter ā€™s recommendation (I think it was 6.5 at the flippers) and seem to remember his acknowledging that it was 6.3 in the middle of the PF, or maybe vice versa, and I found that to be true, and also that the pitch made my game play much better.m (thanks!) I was curious and checked a couple of other games and found the same thingā€”that the pitch was slightly different at different parts of the playfield. Seems like it should be a plank, straight and the same all the way down, right? Someone must have some know-whyā€¦ and Iā€™m curious.

Playfields can bow slightly, even with all those ply layers. Every PF can be unique; I think the most common experience is a tad steeper at the top/back and less steep down by the flippers.

I measure at the flippers because thatā€™s usually where I find the easiest visual references to ensure my leveler is precisely vertical, but measuring in the middle would get you a more accurate ā€œaverageā€ pitch.

#21384 1 year ago
Quoted from barroncaliber:

i have found that setting the front to back angle of the machine so that the flippers can hit the ramps and stuff with enough speed to be consistent is the place to start . i tried to use a level and a phone app from side to side but then realized that by playing a few games it was easy enough to see if one side is was higher . make leg leveler adjustments to the high or low side then after a few games and adjusts it seems like i have a good general level and it might even account for small warps in the playfield . may be not scientific but i am happy with the results . sorry if this was already covered but does anyone else use this approach ?

I've seen Deadflip adjust the side-to-side level by feel on a few of his streams. Frankly, the pitch should be determined based on whatever optimizes the gameplay, so feel is really the best barometer when finding the correct pitch.

In my experience the iPhone is pretty poor as a level tool. I tried it with a couple of the latest gen models, and I can place the same phone on the same spot and get very different results. A great way to test the quality of a level tool is to read it in two orientations 180 degrees apart in the exact same location. If the tool doesn't report mirrored results (e.g. leaning left 0.3 degrees in one orientation, and 0.3 degrees the other way when re-oriented 180 degrees), then its a bad tool and it'll just mislead the user.

#21396 1 year ago

I've been really enjoying the album modes thanks to their great variety and unique game elements. Big shout out to Eskaybee for his tips on making their scoring more worthwhile.

#21419 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Which is it? Are early builds shit, or all builds shit if they are still getting screwed?

Thereā€™s a post in another thread with bad pooling and early chipping on two posts by the AXL lanes from a Nov 21 build after 120 plays. Mine arrived NIB with slight pooling around two posts, Feb 22 build and 0 games.

With early builds, some playfields are fine, some arenā€™t. With new builds, some playfields are fine, some arenā€™t.

So the playfield lottery is still in effect. The upshot is:

- If you donā€™t care about art chipping, then thereā€™s still nothing to worry about

- If you do care about it, then follow the suggestions outlined in previous posts in this thread

I placed PinMonkā€™s Mylar rings around exposed posts and took FooFlighterā€™s suggestion to install 3/4ā€ PETG washers around every high-risk post, including replacing the black washers with PETG when they fit. Then I used the spare black washers (minus the metal washer) under posts that couldnā€™t fit a 3/4ā€ washer.

It took a few hours, frankly was a bit easier than work Iā€™ve had to on my two other NIBs, like dialing in Mando. Either way, this is an easy problem to ignore if you donā€™t care or easy to proactively fix if you do.

Edit: I shouldā€™ve mentioned also replace any overly tight rubber rings with ones that are a size larger. The tension from a few of the stock rings have been known to cause posts to lean and dig into the playfield.

#21421 1 year ago

I could use help understanding the Vader patch. IIRC, it says it spots Frank, which I had assumed meant he would automatically be qualified for songs at that point. But after collecting the patch, I still needed to hit his shots to qualify him, so I'm clearly misinterpreting the patch. What exactly does it do for Frank?

#21437 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Impressive. Looks like mylar under your sticks are peeling too. Someday I'm gonna fix mine... Someday...

Mine arrived already peeled and found an easy fix, based a bit on what I think Fooflighter did. I cut wide but short strips of Mylar and just used them to tape the edges of the factory Mylar together at regular intervals.

Didnā€™t even need to remove the sticks. Takes 5-10min depending on how nimble your fingers are.

#21444 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Mylar stitches. And they're still holding up huh? Oh wait..You just unboxed your PIN...
I don't know how difficult it is to take off the sticks but that's pretty encouraging. Obviously to do the best job would require removing the sticks but again I'm not sure what that involves.

Lol, yeah, basically just stitches. Or I like to think of them as gift wrap tape

But theyā€™ve held up so far to a solid week of gameplay. The Mylar at the ends of the sticks is held firmly in place by where theyā€™re installed, so thereā€™s no risk that I can see of the Mylar coming completely undone until you remove the sticks (at which point they could be properly fixed).

So as an interim solution, all you need to do is address the middle flaps that hang down and interfere with the ball.

#21450 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Under the pf on the scoop bracket. Theres 2screws on left and on the right.
So ur sayin you put a washer on top of the pf?

They go under the playfield, between the scoop bracket and the playfield. Sounds like you put them in the correct spot. Could try two washers. I added two washers to each screw on my machine and the scoop hits dead center on the left flipper.

#21505 1 year ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Just wondering if there has been any code talk for GNR? Are there any indicators that more is coming down the pipeline, or should we consider it basically finished, with maybe some bug cleanup here and there?

Itā€™d be nice to see some of the scoring balances fixed, like improved rewards for Slash solo and album modes. But at least all the wizard modes are coded.

Considering that POTC coding hasnā€™t finished yet, I donā€™t have high hopes for new GNR code any time soon.

#21510 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Iā€™m having issues with my Center Scoop kicking the ball out STDM, where is it supposed to feed to?
The left or right flipper?

I placed two washers under each of the left screws under the playfield and the scoop shoots the ball to the middle of the left flipper every time.

#21562 1 year ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Hey all..
Donā€™t want to sound like Iā€™m flogging a dead horse butā€¦.
You think JJP will release a code update to sort the MB madness?
I love my GnR due to theme and wonā€™t leaveā€¦ it could be so much better with a tactical update IMO.

Probably not given the strategic role that multi balls play in setting up and progressing through songs.

Besides, updating GNR doesnā€™t seem to be a priority for JJP. Youā€™d think theyā€™d have improved the scoring imbalances by now if they could spare some time tweaking the code.

#21596 1 year ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Something with letting demolition derby time out at a certain point I believe, Buffalo pinball posted a video about it.

So, I guess we canā€™t complain about album modes not scoring high enoughā€¦

1 month later
#21998 1 year ago

Could use some Pinside brain power to troubleshoot a weird issue. The pyro shot is triggering every flipper activation, whether from the right or left flippers. The leaf switch looks fine, the gap between the leaves is fine, and the standup target is fine. In a switch test, the pyro switch doesn't trigger when I bang on the playfield or cabinet, and I have to push the standup target back a normal amount to get the switch to fire.

And yet, it still triggers on every flipper activation, even before plunging. Thoughts?

#22015 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

See the spinning record ? Look back a little more and to the left. See the leaf blade switch sticking up behind the rubber ring ? Try adjusting that one.

Awesome as always @ltg! That fixed it

#22016 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Fuckin' botched it up on last ball. Couldn't nab the extra. Still a hell of a run for me. It's exhausting. That was about 40 minutes.

So your game just happened to stop when you hit 420...

#22021 1 year ago
Quoted from william30513:

Thanks for answer, but yes I dont think I explained it very well. Its basically first shot of the game or anytime on a new ball, the ball barely makes it up to the first flipper area, the circled area, not to the very back of the playfield.
So when shot, ball slowly goes up the playfield about 12" then falls onto the playfield below the first flipper.
[quoted image]

Working as intended. That's as far as the ball can go. There's a backstop that prevents the ball from going further up the playfield, and it will always enter the playfield from underneath the third flipper.

Every plunge in GNR is a "short" plunge.

#22029 1 year ago
C17F9235-802E-4F05-ACC3-FC8D99D34D0C (resized).pngC17F9235-802E-4F05-ACC3-FC8D99D34D0C (resized).png
#22043 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You may have stumbled into a variation on the 16 quintillion score bug.

Hogbog / JJP really needs to get a code update out for this game. It's way overdue.

Theyā€™ll get around to it after they finish programming another 200 carnival sounds into TS4

#22058 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

I have a cliffy too waiting to install but may not. Scoop looks fine so far.

Ditto. Got my Cliffy as a back-up for when the OEM scoop protector eventually fails. But itā€™s held up well so far.

I actually take the same approach on my Sterns, too: save the Cliffy scoop protector as a backup.

#22065 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought the same thing , but my shooter lane is sweet as well .
I think you either got a shit Playfield or it's really good , I feel bad for the guys who didn't .
[quoted image]

My shooter lane is looking good too, and I didnā€™t even install my Cliffy shooter lane protectors. I started to remove the apron, took one look at the mess of cables Iā€™d have to disconnect, said eff that and placed Mylar strips in the lane instead.

Iā€™ll get around to the Cliffys eventually, but the lane has held up well so far.

1 week later
#22198 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thinking of getting a GnR.
Are there more code updates coming?
I read that album modes are fairly dull at the moment.

Personally I think the album modes are a blast, and all play with unique rule sets. The issue is their scoring is low and not worth the risk/reward with default settings. Ditto for Slash Solo.

#22221 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

For what it's worth, I was told by Dan at pinwoofer that the GT and the KO amp were the same power. The GT mainly benefits from the subwoofer output and some extra adjustments if I remember correctly. So, if you don't plan on using an external sub, you could save a few bucks with the KO amp. I know a sub kicks ass on this game though...lol.

Maybe itā€™s different on the JJP KO, but I got the Spike2 KO for JP and have the GT kit on everything else. Subwoofer support seems the same between my Spike2 KO and all my GT models.

Only noticeable difference was no more gain control.

#22222 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks mate
That's all I've been doing , sleep , watch movies and drink enough to get back to sleep .
All this free time and haven't had the energy to play a single game of pinball

Well, you know, they do say the COVID virus is destroyed when exposed to alcohol

Seriously though, hope you get over it quick.

#22223 1 year ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Need some advise. GNR definitely could do with better quality sound. I have a unused Rel Strata III sub. It has its a built in amp and crossover. Would I be able to connect this up via the headphone socket ?

Not sure if the headphone out can be used simultaneously while the speakers are on. You could try testing them.

I highly recommend PinWoofer if you want to upgrade the audio. One of the key sound issues on GNR is the upward facing mid range speakers, and getting an external amp like PinWoofer lets you dial in the frequencies to partially compensate.

If you plan to attach an external sub, I also recommend grabbing their line trimmer accessory. Itā€™s a quality of life improvement that lets you adjust subwoofer volume from the cabinet rather than crawl under the pin every time to tweak volume controls directly on the sub.

#22239 1 year ago
Quoted from 3MTA3:

Couple questions:
1.) How much height is added with the Jersey Jack topper for GNR. Hoping it clears ceiling when added so I don't have to redo my basement
2.) Installation of JJ side blades...any been there done that advice. Did most of you remove the play board entirely from box?
3.) Anyone have their game freeze (or crash) during game play?
tks in advance

My game froze and crashed twice in the first hour of play. No crashes or freezes since then.

#22269 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, that sucks. That's literally the first I've heard after Sept 2021 with pooling.

My Feb ā€˜22 build arrived with pooling. I put your Mylar rings over it along with a PETG washer and problem solved. Pooling hasnā€™t gotten worse.

#22275 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

Just wondering how everyone's left orbit feeds. On my machine the ball was hitting the top of the left sling so I adjusted the rail and now the ball goes sdtm unless I hold up the left flipper than I can catch it just barely. I cannot get the machine adjusted to where I don't have to flip when coming down the left orbit (frustrating). Wondering how other machine fed and if anyone had any tips for me.

My left orbit hit the top of the slings. I assumed thatā€™s by design because the slings are positioned so far inward to allow two in lanes on the left side.

#22283 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

My left orbit goes to my left flipper... It did that from the factory but the way they did it was poor.. basically cranked down the nut underneath the rail until the rail bent to accommodate a perfect flipper return...
The result was of course a bent washer imbedded into the playfield and clear coat pooling.
I removed the bent washer, fixed the clear, and installed a larger washer to accommodate more precise positioning of the rail.
Then while having the playfield pulled out to the last service position, I tightened the nut under the rail, the same time holding the rail in an eyeballed upright position
Then what followed was a series of ball tests, over and over and retightening and repositioning until I got consistent feeds to the left flipper. This took a while, I won't lie
This is what I consider dialing in a game... Trial and repeat until perfect.
The result has performed perfectly since I adjusted it and hasn't budged and no further playfield damage has occurred.
Center left flipper every time... Can easily do and drop and live catches

Huh, I guess Iā€™ll try adjusting the guide. Mine is so far off - it isnā€™t just grazing or nicking the sling, itā€™s feeding directly into the top post - that I couldnā€™t imagine it was intended to feed the flipper.

1 year later
#26772 5 months ago

Just installed the 2.00 update. LE crashed at ball 2 on the first game after the update. It rebooted itself, and then crashed at the start of the first game post-reboot. Now it's bricked and won't boot at all, but it's still sending power to the speakers with the rocker switch in the on position. Anyone else experience this? Any fix?

#26775 5 months ago

Thanks guys. So interestingly I got it to boot after about 10 tries. It still crashes and reboots soon into a game, but doesn't crash at all during jukebox mode. Also, I caught a glimpse of some lines claiming errors at the end of the update installation, but they went away too quickly for me to get a photo.

So I'm leaning toward either a bad SSD or the update got corrupted during download/installation. Sent a ticket to JJP, we'll see what they say. Any SSD replacement recommendations?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11,000.00
ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xelz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=xelz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.