IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1036 3 years ago

So I got a photo memory from the Oct 2017 Pinball Expo with Steve Epstein and saw that I had the 2017 Louisville Arcade Expo GNR shirt on. That was when I ordered my JJPOTC from Flip-n-Out / Larry Kitchen too. My brother and I came up with the design of that shirt while literally at the GnR Not In this Lifetime Tour concert in Cincinnati 2016. Turns out that concert poster is on the LE cabinet too! Needless to say, with Virtual Expo going on, and Steve telling me through this pic "You NEED to order this game too", I placed the order for a GNR LE with Flip-n-Out / ZMeny !

Looking forward to joining the club!

20171012_213222 (1) (resized).jpg20171012_213222 (1) (resized).jpggnr (resized).pnggnr (resized).png
1 month later
#3119 3 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

What distributor do you use?

My opinion, I am not sure if it really matters what distributor was used. I feel bad for all parties involved, and yet we are in the middle of a pandemic. I am a LE order, which I set the expectation it will be early next year. I have checked in a couple times with my Distributor (FlipNOut), and they haven't heard anything and I trust that. I am assuming that JJP is being silent because they are not at a position that they can even predict when Distributors will actually get games due to so many varialbes (parts, playfield issues, tweaking the line, etc). I have been extremely fortunate for owning 2 NIB Sterns and 2 NIB JJPs, and it is such an awesome experience. I am also fortunate that I have games to play every day, and now even more with things shut down.

Sorry for the long post, but yeah trying to track what distributor someone ordered through I think just adds more stress with when you may or may not get your game. JJP only really knows, and obviously this is where they still have a lot of learning to do (communication with the distros). Any new CE folks, this is typical for JJP. They always do a LE run and Standard run, then CE run. Louisville is very lucky to have Zanzabar, which they always get the CEs, and history has proven this pattern.

With Stern saying they have a crazy backlog, JJP announcing an amazing game and keeping on advertising it like crazy, oh and they just literally moved a factory in a pandemic; to me it just means longer waits that what was typical. I hope people get their games as soon as possible, but I think people should just set the expectation of next year. Heck, maybe it will be better to even just start a "pre-order thread", since there is only like a dozen pinsiders that have LEs, a dozen with Standards, and maybe a couple CEs. It is going to be a long wait unfortunately for most, including myself, but I am ok with that.

Just my 1 credit's worth.

1 week later
#3499 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

It took a long-ass time for me to find it.

We appreciate all of your hard work pinball_keefer and for being in the thread!

1 week later
#3960 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Probably better to report these to JJP direct on Twitter. They’ve fixed some bugs I’ve reported there already.

FWIW, I reported a bug for JJPOTC a couple weeks ago to their tech support email ( [email protected] ), and was surprised on how quick of a response I got from Stephen, considering it was middle of the night! He forwarded it on to the development team. Also via email, I was able to attach the audit log dump file as well. I would recommend taking this route, as it would allow for the bug to be documented, tracked, and prioritized into the next release.

Now thinking about this, I wonder if JJP will give the option to "report bug" from their System menu on the machine, since it has wifi capability .That way it can snapshot and send the audit log automatically to them. Have it so that it cc's your registered email (would have to be entered once in the settings), so that you can reply-all with any additional details from your phone or computer.

#3975 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

They can access the logs if you are connected via WiFi.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know!

1 month later
#5604 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I only just realized that the POTC-style multiball stacking we love was brought forward into GNR during the pre-song stage.
POTC has the 5 colored banners that show totals when you lose the stack, then disappear.
Guns does the same with the 4 quadrants for lights, pyro, amp and crowd.
Now I’m going to focus on getting “sixes” (fours)!

This is great to hear! Love seeing the banners on JJPOTC as well on a stacked multiball!

2 weeks later
#6335 3 years ago

I must say, thank you to everyone who already has a JJPGNR* machine, and is finding and reporting issues. It makes the wait for mine bearable knowing that less issues will be found when I get ours

1 week later
#6517 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

mine arrived! Really liking it!

That is an amazing line up Neil!

3 weeks later
#7591 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I never was a real fan of that upper PF. The constant rocking just annoyed me and made your shots just lucky sometimes. It is a really cool idea and excellent theme integration though.

I haven't got/played GNR yet, but love the rocking ship on pirates. Shots can be made if you time right (and I do notice I rock with the ship when playing it some time lol). There is one pirate that does make the ship rock less, I think Cotton. Anyway, back to GNR! Can't wait to try the upper playfield!

3 weeks later
#8113 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Theoretical question, what happens if I accidentally install the LE software on my SE via USB?

There isn't a separate download for JJP versions, so it isn't possible like Stern to accidentally do that. JJP has hardware dongles.

#8128 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

On the JJP site I only see a single download for 1.21. Is it the same code for all models? Or is that only for the LE?

Yep, same code...which what I meant when I posted yesterday

Quoted from pinballj:

There isn't a separate download for JJP versions, so it isn't possible like Stern to accidentally do that. JJP has hardware dongles.

#8144 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Omg I miss calculated by one month! You got me!!

Hey, I am just happy for you that you are still enjoying your game! Can't wait till mine gets delivered!

#8731 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Done. I put it under the playfield section of the tech posts. If you sort by keypost summary it puts them all together for easy browsing.

Dude, I completely appreciate this! Still waiting on delivery, but if you can just keep starting the owners thread for anything I may buy, and organize the posts, I would appreciate it haha!

#8734 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Waiting on delivery of what? It was a repair keypost.
I suddenly feel like I've been daydrinking. Two posts in a row I don't get.

Oh sorry lol.. I'm still waiting on delivery of a GNRLE. I just appreciate you (and everyone) with chiming in on fixes for the game. It makes it way easier to double check things on delivery and initial setup.

1 month later
#10291 2 years ago

I am a second week LE order (I think Oct 12th?), and I know I will be downvoted by some, but I just looking forward to playing the game. Yeah I know it will probably have wear around some of the posts.

I was one to have chipping around the slings and Tortuga saucer, and took JJP on the "half off" playfield offer. Several weeks after I took that offer, I got a call from Jack, which we talked about other things too, and he then told me "well we are giving a free replacement for people that had issues with the playfields, so we are refunding your payment", and I got the refund. Anyway, I know there is a good chance that this playfield may have chipping issues, but I am just so looking forward to the game . I ordered through FlipNOut, so I assume that is almost ready for delivery, and if it has issues, will just follow the typical path of letting my distro know and then jjp.

I just can't wait to have fun with it. If there are issues with it, I sure hope JJP and Mirco (or cough cough not Mirco?? ) gets it right for future titles.

Anyway, love reading this thread when it is about strategy, mods, fixes in that order.

2 weeks later
#11078 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

By also tapping the ground wire, it sounds like you only run the positive to the external power? Does that make it so it turns on and off automatically along with the game?

The connection diagram is actually on the amazon page actually. Just think of the "controller" in the diagram being one of the 3 pin drivers from the machine.
If coming off the same power supply, you don't need to connect the grounds together (since it is obv the same ground in the power supply). If you are using a completely separate power supply though, you will need to connect the grounds together to allow for the data line to have a potential difference from the ground on the LED strip.

The LEDs should turn off as per the datasheet , a reset is active low, so no data should turn them off.
Link to the datasheet:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812B.pdf

I don't have my game yet, so can't test though

Hope that helps.

Screenshot_20210610-221705 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210610-221705 (resized).png

#11321 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Finally got the call today, 10/9 order direct with JJP, ETA around Friday or Monday for my GNR LE!!!

Very exciting! I haven't got the call yet but I am a mid Oct order through FlipNOut

#11323 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

You're in very good hands vendor.
Don't let the playfield talk scare you it's a intense pinball machine.
It'll become your #1 favorite

Yup no worries on my side at all. Really looking forward to getting the game and putting a lot of plays on it

#11531 2 years ago
Quoted from cwb440:

Any idea which switch Matrix switch #35 is on an LE?
[quoted image]

Don't have the game yet, but any chance you can go to: Tests->Switch Tests->Single Switch
Then go to matrix 35?

I would think it would pull up the diagram of the playfield and highlight the switch location.

I love this in JJP games btw

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#12033 2 years ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

I've had a LE on order since Jan 31 through a FL dealer. Has anyone heard if these will be built and shipped anytime soon? I do have a email into the dealer I bought through. However you guys seem to know the latest.
I've searched through this thread but there are sooooo many posts.

I think it will really come down to what your distro says, as it doesn't seem like communication/expectations set by JJP is any good. I am a mid Oct order through FlipNOut, which Zach said maybe end of July the last time I bugged him, if that helps any.

#12037 2 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Have there been enough games delivered and enough transparency here amongst owners to build a narrative that suggests it was better to order from a large distributor or a small distributor or JJP directly in order to get your game the fastest?

To be honest, I am very happy I didn't get mine early now, to let whatever fixes and adjustments to be made prior to shipping. Don't get me wrong, the waiting sucks, but I am hoping for fewer issues thanks to the delay.

#12043 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Yup thx. That makes the point that depending on your disty and their % allocation from each weeks production you could wait less than six months if you pick the right disty... Bigger disty is probably worse since their orders qty are bigger, allocation percentage is smaller, which makes their line longer.. smaller Disty, less orders, shorter line...... But if you order direct from JJP then you are in one big honking line waiting 9 or 10 months minimum.
If I could go back, I'd probably go through my disty which I didn't even know I had until recently, honestly. Logically going direct to JJP seemed advantageous... But that was before I see how it works.... Oops.
At least as mentioned many times, later builds seem to have provided time to work out some kinks. I keep telling myself that while I wait, and wait, and wait...

Funny, but I was just slacking with my brother about the exact same thing, that going through a smaller distributor seems like the way to go. Kinda sucks really, as it shouldn't matter what the distro's volume is, and makes me wonder what to do when the next title announced and shown off. Oh well. It is just a hobby right? I have plenty of games to play and work on to pass the time lol.

#12050 2 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

The size of the distributor shouldn’t matter. Each one gets the same percentage of their orders with each run. So a large distributor with 50 orders may get 5 but the smaller guy with 10 would get 1.

Yeah totally agree. I have zero clue how the distribution works from any mfr to distributors...add a pandemic and major shortages across the board and that is even more delays.

Quoted from Vespula:

What if they only have 2 orders did they get it 2 tenths at a time in pieces until they can build one? Lol

This is what I am wondering really. If it is a "each distributor gets X %, but at least one game". Either way it doesn't matter. I already placed my order and still waiting. Maybe I get it in July, maybe not.

#12057 2 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

It’s cheaper that way. And yeah the math would get funky if they get less than a game.

Man I agree.with you except the cheaper part. All games I have bought NIB have been directly shipped by the mfr, including JJP, so I don't see this being any savings unless you are talking about exports

#12065 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

What is the value proposition of the disty anyway?
Do they come out the day of delivery and set it up?

In the past for me, when I had a problem (this was JJP POTC btw with the monitor), I reached out to FlipNOut and they handled it quickly. Submitted a ticket and I got a replacement fast.

Now the value prop itself is opionated, but with the issues reported lately, I am very happy to use a distro. Surely in that case, I am not the only one to have that experience IF I have an issue that is outside of an adjustment or minor issue. Just my 2 cents.

2 weeks later
#12698 2 years ago

LE 1729 arrived yesterday!
Ordered Oct 15 (around there) from FlipNOut and could not be happier. We only had to make one minor adjustment to the top playfield flipper. It was sitting a little low and would hit the playfield (in the recess). Loosening and raising a little fixed it.

April 22 stamped date on the back of the playfield.
The game had all of the washers and post changes as documented here already.

Packaging-wise is top notch. The foam+plywood mat at the bottom of the box was a good idea.

I unpackaged in the garage, then used the escalara to move to the basement.

After setup and leveling, a few friends came over and we put 34 games on it (checked audits this morning).

The necessary mod was installed (the "hold my beer" pin gulp that is).

Concert tickets from 1992 GnR/Metallica/Faith No More at the Hoosier dome, and NITL tour from Louisville placed on the apron too.

It is going to be an awesome weekend!

Shout out to @zachmeny /FlipNOut for a smooth transaction!

PXL_20210723_001444845 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_001444845 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_002124932 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_002124932 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_002553898 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_002553898 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_002602903 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_002602903 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_004746852 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_004746852 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_005145421 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_005145421 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_005220597 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_005220597 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_005257874 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_005257874 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_011438746.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_011438746.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_013103204 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_013103204 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_115905250 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_115905250 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_120133139 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_120133139 (resized).jpg
#12733 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Same as any other micro switch with a wire arm. Bend down a tiny bit, past the body of the switch so you don't effect the tiny knob being pushed into the switch body.
LTG : )

Yeah, what LTG said..also make sure the switch is centered in the slot and not rubbing against the edge of the playfield. Once again a slight bend left or right

#12734 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

As Ltg said, have a close look at it and push with your finger with the glass off. You may see that it's touching the wood when the ball presses on it, or it may be raised higher than the ones around it.
Also check the slope of the playfield, too shallow and the ball won't have enough momentum.

Lol..was thinking the same thing !

#12810 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’d be annoyed if I didn’t have somewhere to plant balls (i.e guitar lock) while in song modes.

I totally agree..uhhh..planting balls in song modes.

200w.gif200w.gif
#12822 2 years ago

Very happy to see others getting their GNR as well. It was a long wait, but so worth it. I know several have said "It is an adrenaline rush and multiball heavy", which it absolutely is lol. I crossed the 100 games played mark last night (last Thurs I got the game), and there is a lot of strategy to figure out, but you don't need to. Last night I had my best score of 26mil, which was due to a 23mil Mr. Brownstone Applause jackpot. Skipping out on the "cash out options", and keep on playing to the end of the song is a bit nerve wracking. Especially, when you had 3 balls, you lost 2 and THEN it says "Applause jackbot is lit". But when you DO hit the scoop w/applause and see the points you one, that is so awesome.

Anyway, good luck to all getting their games, and hopefully no major issues! I have just had to do some adjustments so far.

#12827 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I love it when I have 5 balls locked for power chord jackpot and just as I send the 6th one up there, it times out. Every single time!

It was mentioned before, but the guitar lock is a blessing for helping with Multiball management for sure. At least it gives a little bit of a break to the somewhat insanity that can be happening when you have all 6 going around the playfield.

#12934 2 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

These ideas may not be useful to everyone, but I thought I would post anyway....
1. I found my left ramp diverter was banging against the underside of the ramp. I added one of the thin 3M rubber feet/cabinet door protectors to the arm of the diverter and it has both softened the sound and prevented it from so violently hitting the plastic. An additional benefit is that now the diverter doesn't come all the way up past the ramp gap so any alignment or scraping issues are non existent as well. And because the height it is set properly, it is not close to hitting the playfield nor trapping the ball while it is down. So far it has worked great but if anyone can point any negatives that I'm not thinking about then please let me know.

This is a great idea! I am going to try this myself. Thanks for sharing!

2 weeks later
#13494 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Plus the whole "decision point" stress of "bail now, or push your luck?" is awesome.

I totally agree. Also, when you make that decision to go for it, having multiple balls in play, then you get down to one ball and “applause jackpot is lit” and then miss..miss..miss..OMG why is that scoop right in front of me so hard to freaking hit ?!?!?

#13735 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

One audio thing I do wish were different is the generic “Encore” chant; so flat and sterile. A “Guns N’ Roses” chant (see intro to Get in the Ring) seems a better fit.

That is a great idea! Keep the Encore graphic even, just change the chant.

2 months later
#17654 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Just got an email from FedEx that my JJP art blades have finally shipped.
[quoted image]

I just received mine today! Thanks ZMeny /FlipNOut for a smooth transition as always.

2 years later
#27044 4 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

SONG MULTIBALL>Lit Locks at Game Start
Default is 0, I’ve set this to 1,3,6 and it doesn’t seems to spot locks (ie still need 6 guitar lock balls to max start a song). The only thing I noticed is the left ramp diverter is down when you start with this set to 1-6. General the diverter is up until you hit a couple shots

Maybe you know this, but starting a song is lit when you collect all of the band members, and doesn't require you to lock balls in the guitar lock.
Every time you qualify a band member (example spinning the hat to qualify Slash, or bass ramp for Duff), a spot lock it lit on the guitar lock.

So if you have the "Lit locks on game start to zero" , that means you have to qualify a band member before you can lock a ball, and then the ramp diverter will drop.

Any other setting should start with the diverter down since you have a spot lock lit.

Having 6 balls locked in the guitar lock is not the same as collecting /qualifying the band members, which is why it doesn't always light "start a song".

Hope that helps! The game is pretty awesome to play!

#27048 4 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

While we’re reviewing rules does someone know what page patch explanation is on?

Mentioned here..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/422#post-6867406

The tilt forum writeup has a good explanation of the patches:

http://tiltforums.com/t/guns-n-roses-jjp-rulesheet/6803

#27069 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wait until it calls you a dick head. You might rethink it.
LTG : )

This happened to my wife walking in the basement! She had no idea what was going on and came up to me and said "Hey, one of your machines called me a dickhead?"

Pretty hilarious

2 weeks later
#27235 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:For someone who as already purchased the board, I wonder if they would be willing to try that on their old board? Sacrifice for the greater good?

From the manuals, and just looking at the 70v rail since that is what the flippers and other coils like pops are powered from:
15-004001-01, C701 and C702 listed for Pirates is 3300uF
this is the same as Guns N Roses too

15-004001-07 For Toy Story - C701,C702 listed at 6800 uF (this is noted as Rev D for the board)
15-004001-09 For Elton- C701-C702 listed at 6800 uF (rev E)

15-004001-09 looks to be the same as 15-004001-FP (on pinball life), going off mockup image in the manual from Elton for the board

There are some other differences too, such as the capacitors for the 12v and 20v rails.
---
I could see only switching out C701 and C702 would definitely help, especially when other coils are firing, but I don't think you could draw a conclusion that was the ONLY thing changed to help with the flippers, since there is also the PIC micro at U200 which could be programmed differently based on the revision of the board (ie...like PinMonk mentioned before in other threads about the PWM duty cycle, frequency etc.)

I play my games quite a bit, but I don't really "camp" on a game long enough to see much flipper fade. I'm also used to flipper fade from older games (F-14, I am thinking about you) when yeah, you open the coin door to let it cool off.

I think I will swap out the caps on either POTC or GNR this weekend just to see if there is a noticeable diff, since they are the same board.

PSA: I would warn others, that board work could, and probably does, void any warranty you may have.

1 month later
#27721 52 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Very happy with the beta - Definitely much higher scoring now.
“Biggest loser” is a great little add in!

Completely agree! It is almost like a new game, and it is really just scoring changes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

8,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
$ 11,000.00
7,998 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=pinballj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.