image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2652 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4454 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2642.gif

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 3 years ago

Showed my wife the trailer tonight and she said "I'm onboard". I replied surprisingly "No sh*t?". Lol guess I can't argue with that.

2 weeks later
#1424 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Interesting catch. I'm not an owner, so I didn't know about this issue being discussed. Here's a closer look from the original higher-resolution image. I could've provided an even better look but I'd goofed and inadvertently shot it at lower resolution than I'd meant to (which limits the maximum size print I can make now). Anyway, here ya go, analyze away:[quoted image]

Good grief, I can't believe this is still occurring. Micro said they now have more durable playfields, called Spectrum playfields, but it's possible that the GNR playfields going into early games were made before the new process was implemented. We've already seen GNR playfields stamped with build dates of 2019 so who knows if those were made with the more durable build process.

At $9500 for an LE I'll wait 6 months for these issues to be worked out, early buyer headaches like this are not worth it at today's crazy NIB prices in my opinion.

Update: Sorry meant to post this in the general game thread.

5 months later
#8104 3 years ago

So I'm in on an LE! I've had a deposit in on an LE since shortly after the game was announced. Didn't know if I was going to move forward but now with the price increase and early playfield issues resolved I think I should buy it while I still can at the original deposit price.

I played an LE on location on Monday and really enjoyed it. A few minutes ago I showed my wife the JJP trailer for the pin and she said "I'm in" lol.

#8154 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Help me out here, is your addiction beer or being an asshole on pinside?

Quoted from punkin:

There's a cure for the addiction i have that you like to lord over me because it makes you feel bigger while looking smaller and smaller.
Your problems, not so much.

Usually there's no arguing in club threads lol. We all have a GNR or one on order during a global pandemic, let's be as happy as we can A beer sounds good right now.

#8255 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Really? There really isnā€™t a lot to it. Pick out your patches. Play the boosters. Lock balls. Start a song. Power chord. Band frenzy. Play album modes. Tour multi all. Slash solo. Rinse and repeat.
I may say this game is wide, but deep. No, definitely not deep.

GNR is a very deep game and I think you may be simplifying it a bit too much. All of the song modes play differently in regards to different shots being required to be hit on the playfield. Song modes shots can also change as it's played through, that's pretty cool. Each song mode can be played as a single ball or a multiball mode. Theres a variety of other multiball modes that can be stacked with song modes. Finally there's the album modes which are essentially mini wizard modes. Finally finally lol there's a super wizard mode. All of that is layering that very few games do.

I know a lot of people say ACDC is deep but that pins looks extremely shallow compared to GNR. The song modes in that game are very dull in my opinion, all requiring a player to just bash one specific shot over and over again versus working the playfield. All of the multiballs are similar with no unique animations and there's not even 1 mini wizard mode.

#8278 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

My opinion on this game is way different but i prefer modes and actual feel of moving through a story as I play the modes. Its not deep at all when it comes to progressing to Wizard modes. Most new Sterns are coded better and every JJP is coded better so far when it comes to feeling like your progressing in a game. Play a song from each album for what 3 minutes then start the album modes. I almost beat the game on the 1st or 2nd day playing it like a mode based game not knowing it was a game setup for jackpots. Every song does have different lights but really they all felt the same besides the light show. Slash solo and the two UYI album modes are worthless so far but im sure that will be fixed. When i compare it to Wonka code Wonka(much better layout and smooth with satisfying shots) is a adventure with way better code thats actually alot of fun for me where GnR feels like another MET but with even less things to achieve but way more songs. The songs light shows is the best thing this game has going on for it and the assets are decent but not as good as BM66. Easily the worst JJP to date if your looking for a mode based adventure but the best JJP if you like to just go for high scores. I loved killing Smaug and melting the Witch, where is that level of fun on this game? This is just my opinion coming from a person that loves a adventure under glass, I never look at my score while playing any game until the games over so being a jackpot oriented game just killed any staying power and fun for me on this one.

With a music pin I don't think an adventure / quest ruleset such as the ones found on LOTR, Hobbit, and WOZ would work. Those three games are among the deepest in pinball but there are other ways to make a ruleset deep.

GNR is deep in the way of how song modes can be played (single ball or going for a specific multiball), choosing to continue a song mode (where the shots then change) or cashing in a song jackpot. The applause jackpot, rock meter, encore, and booed off stage features are also elements that adds to the games depth and creating a world under glass with that being going on a concert tour.

There's a lot of variety and choice with GNR compared to other music pins. Choice also includes being able to play 1 of 21 different song modes which almost double then any other music pin. The 4 album modes in the game are then your mini wizard type modes, qualified I think by playing 3 minutes of a song. The 3 minute album mode qualifier is to earn a silver record, there's also golf and platinum. To top it all of there's a super wizard mode.

When you factor in all of these ruleset elements GNR is pretty damn deep, easily deeper then all other music pins and a majority of non music based pins. Personally I felt like MET was chopping wood with many of a majority of it modes simply requiring the player to hit the same shot over and over again. Hit the ramps 10x, hit the snake 10x, hit Sparky 10x. The Crank it Up modes offered shot variety but I didn't like having to play through a bunch of "hit this shot 10x" style modes to get there.

#8310 3 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Got my game on Tuesday. Happy to report that there's zero pooling issues. Dimples seen in the pic with the chandelier reflection are invisible in person from player perspective (and not different than I've experienced with other NIB games).
Also digging the wood used, with darker bands showing in the shooter lane and upper playfield (prettier in person).
Thanks ZMeny / Flip N Out Pinball for a smooth transaction
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! The game looks great. Are those clear washers at the sling posts installed at the factory? If so is JJP putting clear washers down in other areas as well besides the sling posts?

This is more of a general question for all owners but has JJP resolved the chipping issues with the latest builds? It seems like the playfield issues only affected the first batch of games?

#8330 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

LOL GNR has "The best lightshow on the planet" and when does it ever look like the view on the left.
[quoted image]

Lol yeah something isn't right. Here's a pic of a GNR LE I played on location in an average lit room. Looks great. I just ordered a set of Pin Stadiums for my WOZ but for GNR it seems like overkill.

20210412_143039.jpg20210412_143039.jpg

Another pic from the attract mode.

20210412_143148 (resized).jpg20210412_143148 (resized).jpg

#8528 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

It's images of GNR playfields with pooling after someone tried to pretend it's never happened on GNR playfields. LMAO. I know someone with a chipped GNR playfield, want me to go over and get some time-stamped taken-today new photo's to make you feel better?
And like I said, he's playing the crap out of it and enjoying it. If you're buying a early run GNR it would be the first thing I'd look for and I wouldn't pay full price for one with it!

I think that's all people here are trying to say, pooling / chipping affected early run games but has since been resolved. We haven't seen any widespread reports of pooling / chipping on newer build games. Still BS it happened and JJP should at least send affected buyers a new playfield.

#8535 3 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Very nice. Anyone have the action button mod from cointaker? How is it? Pics? Any durability issues? The trailing vines are fragile and it has me concerned... Mine arrived already broken. They are sending a replacement but just wondering if it will sit flush on the action button and lockdown bar...... And how long I can expect this design to last after the first smash of the action button to cash out? Experience? Thoughts?[quoted image]

It looks like Cointaker is selling the Back Alley Creations version of this mod? May want to put some additional adhesive on the vines if there isn't already.

#8705 2 years ago

Need to stop ordering mods for this game, don't even have it yet lol (waiting on LE to ship). Mezel Mod ramp signs, Art of Pinball action button mod + shooter rod, and Pinwoofer super kit ordered.

#8709 2 years ago

For some of these quality issues being reported I would hammer on JJP to replace the parts. Small wrinkle in decal? Send a new set. Mylar coming off drum sticks? Send a new set. Decal wrinkling at spinning record? Send a new decal. A broken server arm should be an automatic replacement. These games are already insanely priced at $9500 for an LE, let alone $10,500. If JJP and Stern want to charge top prices (not to mention raise the price by $1k) then they need to be held accountable for top quality.

For major issues such as larger cabinet, decal, and playfield chipping / pooling issues I would want my distributor to fight for a game replacement. No excuses for those issues at these prices.

#8711 2 years ago

That sucks. Hope it all gets worked out. They might have to up their hourly wage. I'm told that landscape workers in my area make $20/hr.[quoted image]

Yeah, wow. For a production line worker at the supposed best manufacturer of pins one would think that the starting wage would be at least $15. Amazon delivery drivers and starting pay at Costco is at least $15 an hour. $13.50 - $14 an hour is $28k - $29k yearly, just a bit over poverty income level in many states.

1 week later
#9029 2 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

I am about 250 plays on on my CE and noticed this around a couple of the posts. What's the best way to repair this and/or prevent further damage. I tried the fender washer approach, but I don't care for the look and the fact that it could affect the play of the ball(two of the posts are in the pop bumpers). Any input is much appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, I'm sorry to see that happening. JJP should send you a fully populated playfield in my opinion, there's no excuse for that to happen.

If you don't mind me asking what is your games build date?

#9034 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Another Mirco "quality" playfield. Bummer.

Yeah. It's disappointing to say the least. JJP should have an SLA agreement with Mirco that basically fines them for quality issues like this within the first year.

Quoted from Chetrico:

I will need to double check...I believe build date 12/20. Barry at JJP told my distributor that they aren't sending out replacement playfields, but he did offer to send out washers. Another smaller issue that I brought to JJP's attention is that I have is some cloudiness/spots under the clear. [quoted image]

Thanks for the date. I'm sorry you were told that by JJP, that's not right at these prices. Hopefully that's the only affected area, will cover up well with a washer.

#9050 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I would gladly pay JJP extra to have a playfield like Haggis.. free from dimples, pooling, chipping, missing art.. That would eliminate most modern pin issues

What's sad is the clear coat used in old Bally Williams diamond plate playfields is still available. The real problem may be artwork around posts due to the digital printing process used today. Stern got around this by not putting artwork around posts. At this point I wish JJP would do the same thing.

What I don't understand is how Hobbit playfields made by Micro are pretty much perfect, probably the best quality playfields on JJP games. Micro seemed to change something with how they are making playfields. It's on JJP though for continuing to use them and sell products with quality defects.

2 weeks later
#9729 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

That area takes a lot of abuse. Before anyone flips a ball on their pin, they should put PETG clear's (3/4) inch under any posts they can, and if not those, then larger metal or carbon. I like the look of the hard clears and they disperse the weight properly. This one requires a little notch to fit but it stays put and this is after 400 games with no further wear
[quoted image]
The other areas that are a must are the ones near the pop bumbers and all the posts just north of the slings on both sides of the playfield. If you can reach it easily, cover it with clear PETG. There is some minor disassembly in some hard to reach areas, but this beats disassembly and touch up.
It sucks but you have to play an active role in the preservation/damage mitigation process. It's not if this will happen for certain areas but when. But you can stop it before it starts
The rest of the field looks amazing, just these post areas all take a hit
Heat it up with an iron or some carefully directed blasts from a heat gun then cover it up...I covered mine at the first sign of pooling
Here's some more samples:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

It's insane that at these prices we have to apply clear washers. I know it helps cut down on issues but it's also ugly, at these prices we shouldn't have to do this. I have a $9500 LE spot that should be shipping next month and I'm now strongly considering canceling it over these issues.

#9731 2 years ago

Shrek topper coming soon![quoted image]

Damn, I was really hoping it would say "Better Playfields Coming Soon" lol.

#9733 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Got my nasty bit of playfield pooling.
138 Games in, on a CE PF.
ā€œHow disappointingā€ call out on CONGO is the only thing that comes to mind. should I just flatten it out and stick a piece of Mylar before replacing the post? Hope the other side stays intact.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm sorry to hear you are having that issue. JJP should at the minimum send you a fully populated playfield and if not buy back the game. A washer "fix" kit is unacceptable.

Could you please share your games build date? Also, does anyone else know if the latest GNR's are coming with washers installed from the factory at that location?

#9735 2 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

For the record, my LE have same issues:
- pooling at the left inlane
- 3 posts with pooling and art tearing
- other spots of pooling (not in visible areas)

Sorry to hear that Can you please share your games build date?

#9746 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to offer a solution. I agree it stinks at this price level, but it is what is is for now. I'm just trying to provide a solution for people who want to keep their games. I do hope this is addressed going forward

Here are some photos with different color schemes from my players perspective 1st person. Again, not making excuses at all...but once fixed...you don't see the washers during play unless looking for them
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I apologize for getting grumpy with my original comment. Thanks for offering a fix for owners.

#9800 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

While checking my playfield near my diverter for damage I found a suprise where the post are I assumed hammered in. Doesnt bother me to much, but it is a sad sight. I'm not sure what can be done to cover or save this from happening. Tips?

Damn, I'm sorry to see that happen to your game, I would report it to your distributor and or JJP. If you don't mind me asking what is your games build date?

#9816 2 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

147 games played on one of the newest playfields. Manufacture date: 4/21. It took at least 500 more plays on POTC before damage of this magnitude showed up. Anyone defending JJP's shortsighted policy of ignorance is bliss either has skin in the game, or needs to pay more taxes. This is not the cost of playing pinball! I wholeheartedly agree that Eric and Slash and team have designed one of the best pinball machines of all time! Hands down. No argument there. That does not mean that I should feel privileged and honored to spend premium pinball prices on a pin in which the paint is literally flaking off a mere 2 weeks after delivery. If I wanted to throw my money down the drain I would've bought a Homepin.
This is not the distributor's problem or solution. They have no say in who makes the playfield, and no means to fix it, other than the bandaids currently offered. I've recommended to JJP that the least they can do for us is sell us a properly manufactured, unpopulated playfield at cost. The reply was a curt "we no longer deal with customers about these issues," translated to "pack sand." While I'm not in this hobby for the money, I'm definitely not in it to throw any more money away than I have to. Would you accept paint peeling off of your car before the first oil change, and say "welp, I guess I should just be happy to be able to drive this sweet car?" Umm, nope. This is one of the most expensive parts of the pin, and by far the hardest to swap out. Anyone think of the operator's out there who have one of these on location? They'd better hope it gets 10k plays on it, because resale will be a challenge.
Some of you might look at this damage and downplay it, but if all indications are correct, this is just the tip of the iceberg. None of us should have to deal with this clear manufacturer's defect. None of us should be treated like we're an easily replaceable commodity by JJP. They're clearly at fault, and their reputation is at stake, along with my future purchases, or lack thereof.
[quoted image]

My goodness, sorry to see that your playfield is having an issue. A 4/21 build date too, that means this issue can more then likely occur on the latest build games. You are right, this is not acceptable.

#9876 2 years ago

If the playfield issue was permanently corrected then JJP wouldn't be using any washers at all. By installing washers in the game JJP is pretty much admitting that they know there's an issue with playfields. Its better then nothing but also unacceptable.

I'm now on the fence about getting my LE from last year. Would love to own this game but these playfield issues are unbelievable.

#10081 2 years ago

I'm asking my distributor tomorrow to delay my LE order until the playfield issues are resolved, if they are not resolved by then I'll just cancel. I can't believe how widespread the playfield issue now is, completely unacceptable.

#10094 2 years ago

Wow. "Screw You" you are telling me because I'm not going along with your "Be happy, use washers" vision? Sad and rude. You are acting like everyone should shut up about this issue, use washers, and keep quiet. Anyone delaying their order or cancelling wants a GNR, they like the actual game, but don't want to deal with a major issue such as pooling / chipping in an $8k - $12k+ pinball purchase of all things.

#10110 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Every class action lawsuit Iā€™ve ever benefitted from I got a check for like 5 bucks.
Iā€™d rather JJP survive than get five bucks.

How about JJP finally corrects an issue that has plagued their last 3 releases, sends all GNR customers with affected games properly made unpopulated playfields, and continues making awesome games? Then we can finally stop talking about using washers, irons, and hair dryers on our $8k - $12k+ pins.

2 weeks later
#10945 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's because in my view we've identified the issue and potential workarounds. What else is there to say? What's the point of 1000 "me too" posts?

All of the posts of people posting pictures and information about playfield issues helps to create a timeline for when these issues started occurring, what batches of games are affected, which games have what washers, and to let potential future owners know if the issue is resolved. With pretty much 0 communication from JJP on this issue it's unfortunately been up to customers to create this timeline.

1 week later
#11420 2 years ago

I'm in the same boat MacJedi! Amazing game but nervous about all of the reported playfield issues.

I already delayed my order once and the next opportunity I can get a game is in July. I assume my games build date would be June.

My question though is has JJP taken additional measures since the April build date games to prevent playfield issues? Are different washers and or posts now being used?

#11517 2 years ago

In regards to code is it completed at this point? I thought I read someone saying that a bunch of things are still missing or haven't been coded yet. Not sure how true that is.

#11572 2 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

I had some pooling around the black washer on the inlane post. Happened after 175 plays or so. I took it off and ironed it out with a friend of mine. Looks fine now. You still need to keep an eye on those same problem spots unfortunately.

Just curious, what is your games build date and did JJP include the longer post that goes through the t-nut with a nylon nut for the one that pooled? JJP now seems to be installing the black washers + longer posts with a nylon nut. For a time there seemed to be games with no washers on the problem posts, then washers but no nylon nut on back, and now washer + longer posts + nylon nut. It's hard to keep up with all of the different combination of "fixes".

#11582 2 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

I'm a May build date. It came with longer posts through the T-nuts on upper playfield and by the Axl lanes. It also had a black washer on the inlane post. It looks like this latest batch has black washers everywhere - upper playfield, by axl lanes, outlanes, etc. The inlane post goes through the playfield with a nylon nut. My pooling was around the black washer that it came with. The ironing got it back to looking normal. Hopefully its a permanent fix. I will say that the clear is very soft. Even moving the outlane posts - you have to be careful not to overtighten. It feels like you can just keep tightening. It doesn't come to a hard stop like you would think.

Thank you very much!

#11658 2 years ago

Does anyone know if the rotating concert stage lights are more reliable on the latest builds? Curious if JJP has made any improvements.

#11762 2 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Where are the code updates for GNR?? Nothing but bug fixes (and some new ones introduced) and minor tweaks for 6 months +. Song mode scoring is cryptic at best, other modes are worthless and risky, code is still buggy, no desert demolition mode yet, coils overheating, etc...

I've been wondering about this as well. GNR is JJP's flagship game yet code updates for months now have been small minor bug fix releases. Where's the larger meat and potatoes type code updates that finish and polish existing modes?

JJP has still yet to finish Pirates code and that was two releases ago. I hope GNR isn't treated the same way with the code team now onto JJP #7...

#11887 2 years ago

#Where'sTheCodeJJPGNR

Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Placed my order for an LE in April, and am patiently awaiting delivery in Nov-Jan. Was able to pick up a TMNT premium for the family to shoot around on in the meantime (only a 1-pin home at the moment).
As I page through this forum it sounds like I will want to take preventative measures before playing my first ball to protect the art/playfield around some of the posts in the game. I have seen some of you use washers, others have actually received different posts (I believe from JJP), and have even seen the video on Facebook with the guy claiming the original posts were mis-engineered to handle the force of the ball knocking into them.
This is a grail game for my wife and I which we plan on keeping in our home for many, many years. During the pandemic, we put over 5,000 games on our first pin (JP pro) before trading it for an AIQ. We love to play these games, and do not expect them to remain looking pristine after so much use. What I would love to try and avoid however is big chucks of the playfield splintering near these posts in our first 100 games.
Given that our game will likely see heavy use in the coming years, what is the best strategy for trying to prevent these playfield issues from occurring? I am hoping that JJP figures out something in the factory that my later build might benefit from, but would like to be prepared anyway. Sincerely appreciate any and all recommendations.
Happy flipping!

With the latest build games I don't think you will need to do anything else with the problem post areas. Those areas are now using longer posts secured with a nylon nut + a black plastic washer on top. Reports of pooling / chipping have dropped to nearly 0 with this combination.

#12083 2 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

JJP pulled the new beta update, FYI. Unexpected issue for a user in the open beta group. They are looking into it.

Bummer but it's good they are correcting the issue.

Just curious, does the latest beta expand on existing game modes and or completes the unfinished ones?

#12086 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Someone said JJP finished desert demolition in the latest beta.

Awesome, good to hear! Thank you.

Quoted from Enchantress:

I really want to pull the trigger on an LE but what are my odds of getting a pin with an Fā€™d up playfield?

I'm going to say lower then it's ever been assuming you get a game with the latest fixes with those being longer posts in problem areas + black plastic washers + nylon nuts installed from the factory.

I've delayed my order a couple times due to playfield issues but I'm moving forward at this time. My LE is being shipped on Friday.

#12096 2 years ago
Quoted from GymRatt:

Anyone on the fence for the Pinwoofer kit for the GNR should pull the trigger. Anyone else install this kit? Whats your thoughts? 1st mode done on my LE. No regrets here. Worth every penny IMO. Like that I have booming base without a external sub sitting under the machine. Super easy to install following the YouTube video for installation. Now you can truly FEEL the sound like a title like this should have been out of the box. JJP fell short on the sound system. Pinwoofer addressed that problem quite well. Instruction have you installing the amp in place of the coin box. I chose to keep the coin box in place and mounted it next to the subwoofer. In my opinion its still easy to reach in through the coin door to make adjustments and pop it out of the holder to pull it outside the machine to adjust. The coil of wires next to the speaker is so the amp can be pulled out the coin door while hooked up. For those of you that don't know.

That's great to hear! Your game looks awesome. I have a Pinwoofer Super kit ready to go for my GNR LE once it gets here. I installed a Pinwoofer Super kit on a TMNT Premium and it sounds so much better.

#12140 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

If anyone thinks that installing the longer locking post alone would prevent the pooling and artwork tearing, let me dispel that fantasy. My GNR lane post has significant damage and it came from the factory with the longer locking post.
For those who attempted a repair on the upper playfield post - did you replace it with the longer locking post? Asking because it would involve taking off the upper playfield and removing all those wires which seems like a pretty time intensive task. Would just ironing the pooled area and adding the larger washer likely be enough?
Thanks

Just curious, what is your games build date? Did the longer post also have a black plastic washer installed and is secured by a nylon nut?

#12144 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Some of the posts were personal towards him. Not all playfield type.
I think he finally realized, "I don't need this".
A shame. He provided good help.
LTG : )

Yes he did, I hope he comes back. He contributed a lot to the site and helped a lot of people.

#12254 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

So JJP will be using a new Playfield supplier? Makes sense! Man if I had just received my machine I'd be selling that sucker! If I had it since last year or a while, I guess I would have gotten my $$ worth out of it in plays and wouldn't care that the newer games will be worth more (kind of like how the old WOZ's with the old boards are worth less).
And if you look in the market, it appears that there are over a dozen GNR LE's for sale!! At least the current owners have had the fun with their machines, right? And it looks like many are even trying to make a grand after playing the crap out of it and offering it up with a damaged playfield? You'd have to be desperate to buy one at a premium price if you ask me.
I can't think of any other game where there has been so much hype and confirmation that it's a great game, only to be followed up by so much disappointment at the production level...

Why are you in a GNR owners thread trolling? This thread is for owners / people who have a game on order. You are just trying to start crap and are making up false claims about certain games being worth less. Ridiculous. Every GNR doesn't have playfield issues! A portion do but there's hundreds of owners without issues. Also, latest builds don't have the issue. Finally, there's 7 LE's for sale on the market place, 1 pending, the rest are brand new game listings from distributors. Please stop spreading false information.

The rumor of JJP switching to a new playfield manufacturer is just that, a rumor. I've recently heard that they are not switching playfield manufacturers for what it's worth.

#12258 2 years ago

The new art blades look great, will go nicely with the LE. From what I'm seeing the posters on the blades are unique from the LE cabinet artwork, very cool.

#12269 2 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Picking up my GnR Le tomorrow, it will be my first JJP pin, there is a ton of info in the is tread. What are the first things I need to do to make sure my playfield doesn't begin to have issues. Should I swap out the posts and go Williams style or is there another suggestion. Game is fresh off the line ....idk if that makes a difference

My LE shipped yesterday, supposed to be fresh off the line as well. With the latest fixes (just need to verify they are there of course, should be) I don't plan on changing anything. The latest games should have the longer posts, black washers, and nylon nuts in the problem areas.

#12271 2 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Ok, so that's the first thing I'll check, should I swap out the pinball like we do for Stern?

That I'm not sure. Hoping the pinballs are good at least on a $9500 - $10,500 pin lol. Usually I swap them out but will see what other owners say.

#12292 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Not from Detroit nor complaining but Iā€™m baffled how this one wasnā€™t used anywhere unless Iā€™m missing it ?
[quoted image]

It's on the right cabinet artwork. Cool poster.

Screenshot_20210713-214404_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210713-214404_Chrome (resized).jpg

#12336 2 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

[quoted image]

Awesome! Congrats on the new pin.

#12370 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Having done both, I would suggest going with the pinwoofer if you're comfortable with the install.

Pinwoofer Super Kit is the first mod I will be installing. I'm ready to crank this game up! Should be having an LE being delivered today.

#12385 2 years ago

She just got here! What a heavy damn game, like all JJP games. The Escalera and myself got a workout moving it. Can't tell exact built date yet but the giant shipping box shows July 2021 so that's good.

Huge shout out to Gary from Abel Electronics who not only delivered the game personally but stayed to help me move it into my basement. Awesome distrubtor!

20210715_173227 (resized).jpg20210715_173227 (resized).jpg

#12390 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Post the PF build date. Curious also if there are any new changes

I will, beer and Door Dash first after moving this beast of a game lol.

#12422 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes. Happens every once in awhile. Check your sensor harness under the playfield. See if itā€™s perfectly nicked like the pic below. You may need a new harness - Iā€™m on my 3rd and suspect it gets nicked when lifting the pf or putting it back. [quoted image]

Thanks for the heads up. Will check that area out on my game before I even play it, may put some electrical tape on that side or something.

#12440 2 years ago

Thanks to Pinhead1982 for posting and sharing this alternative post idea.

I have a brand new July build with the updated longer posts + black washers + nylon nuts. Reports of playfield issues on the latest builds have dropped heavily. Would anyone recommend swapping the posts for this one on the latest builds? I assume I could then just get rid of the black washers?

a925d0d4147e1ecadd69a8ff30861e337d2cfc2e (resized).jpga925d0d4147e1ecadd69a8ff30861e337d2cfc2e (resized).jpg

b727cbbcdd85000bdc88b79fcc2efd1913498eb4 (resized).jpgb727cbbcdd85000bdc88b79fcc2efd1913498eb4 (resized).jpg

#12467 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think those posts are there for a reason though; I predict the rollover switches will get bent if you remove them.

Welcome back! I've been watching your GNR rules overview video a couple times to get a grasp of the rules, thanks.

#12484 2 years ago
Quoted from Bfults:

Ordered from Distro 2 Days after launch. I got it in yesterday. Weird thing is the Born on date is next Wednesday! There is a little hanky panky going on! Going over all know issues now.
[quoted image]

Lol! Mine says the same date, just got it on its legs. This is the first JJP game I bought that doesn't have an exact build date, just 7/21. Also, I can't find a build date on the playfield, not sure where that is at or if they are no longer stamping them (just a serial number I see).

What are the items that you are going over?

#12527 2 years ago

Has anyone else with a July 2021 build not been able to find a manufactured date stamped on the playfield? I can't find it on any side, including all the way at the back. I've bound a couple 4 - 5 text / digit strings but that's it.

#12529 2 years ago

Played 1 game, absolutely amazing, wife was happy to beat me lol.

Have 1 issue. The tight lock release is not going up on its own. Throughout a game I noticed it very slowly starting to come up. Once down again the process would repeat. In the test coil menu I can triggering the right coil release did nothing, just a slight noise. Activating the left lock release coil repeatedly caused the right one to slowly go up.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

20210718_164417 (resized).jpg20210718_164417 (resized).jpg

#12533 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Take a look underneath. This happened to mine but had two issues; the bolt holding the lock was loose and the coil sleeve was worn to a hilt. Doubt your sleeve will be bad though with it so new so check the bolt.

Thanks! Got it fixed, just had to adjust the bolts underneath a bit.

#12546 2 years ago

Just a heads up, saw this posted on the JJP Facebook fans group. The image shows where JJP is taking protective measures at with certain posts. Looks like 11 posts total.

219333463_102675108775076_3235823579160979032_n (resized).jpg219333463_102675108775076_3235823579160979032_n (resized).jpg

#12550 2 years ago
Quoted from Straight2VHS:

I reached out to JJP support regarding pooling and chipping around the amp/gnr inlane post. I had issues with both pop bumper posts early on. Both came loose and found their way down the playfield. The posts were too short to thread into the t-nuts. I resolved that issue by countersinking the holes so the t-nuts go in further into the back of the playfield. I also had both spotlights replaced under warranty due to failed servos and cracking arms.
Engineering responded to the pooling/chipping issue to go through my distributor. My distributor contacted the same engineer who told my distributor they are not sending out replacement parts for this issue and to buy a kit from Pinball Life or Marco. Not sure why I needed to go through my distributor to get that response. The reponse could have been just sent directly to me without going through my distributor. Any how, I canā€™t seem to find any kits on either site that are JJP specific or even generic ā€œWasher / Post kitsā€. Does anyone happen to know what these kits are and possibly a link to one of them?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Here's the kit from Pinball Life. It's embarrassing that JJP is not sending these out to customers who paid $10k+ for these games.

https://www.pinballlife.com/jersey-jack-pinball-guns-n-roses-pinball-post-spacerprotector.html

Update: Just realized link is already posted above.

#12575 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

My LE should be delivered next week. I plan on spending 8 hours to JJP-itize everything with Cliffy protectors, PETG washers, and cooling fans. I should be excited but Iā€™m nervous about having to take a new machine apart and put it back together just to play it.

Your LE should come with black plastic washers installed at the 11 posts below, personally I don't think you will need (or should) to remove them and replace with PETG washers. This latest combo appears to be working very well.

2067a7c79c0a43e5a97c9829cf1759dd2bcc7ed8 (resized).jpg2067a7c79c0a43e5a97c9829cf1759dd2bcc7ed8 (resized).jpg

Below are pictures from my July 2021 build showing a majority of the new post / washer combination.

76267f15c7ac499ea85e81182c7c72d5713acf06 (resized).jpg76267f15c7ac499ea85e81182c7c72d5713acf06 (resized).jpg
933463b1d61300fa8ed5996cb1111861b05a3ea3 (resized).jpg933463b1d61300fa8ed5996cb1111861b05a3ea3 (resized).jpg
c5327ee17361b8d892486f82289c5912853ec10f (resized).jpgc5327ee17361b8d892486f82289c5912853ec10f (resized).jpg
fcd48131df3c43098bcb6959158a4eb131a1adc6 (resized).jpgfcd48131df3c43098bcb6959158a4eb131a1adc6 (resized).jpg

#12596 2 years ago

Just curious, what is different with the black washers JJP is now using on 11 posts versus the clear washers that remain in use in other areas such as the sling posts? Is the material itself different?

I wonder if it would be worth it as an extra preventive measure to remove the 11 posts in question on a latest build and install a small mylar square under each?

#12599 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You and I are absolutely on the same page. You canā€™t simply mylar a three dimensional pooled surface and expect it to fix it. Mylar is the bulletproof solution to Not have this issue to start. Or you need to refer to the post repair thread first then Mylar. Your only option when the art and clear are shattered is to use a rubber washer and hope it keeps pressure on it to minimize spreading. Iā€™ve just seen so many ā€œbulletproofing before playingā€ posts and wanted to share what I have had complete success with.

Would you recommend then on a latest build, where the latest washer / post / nut combo is installed, to remove the 11 posts in question and install a small piece of mylar under each?

#12610 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Do the playfields with issues have this under the playfield? [quoted image]

Sadly yes

#12654 2 years ago

Does anyone know if the height of the left ramp divertor can be adjusted? Mine is sitting just barely to low in the down position and as a result balls are getting stuck underneath it after they fall off the upper playfield.

#12656 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Yes it can. Do you mean the left ramp that returns the ball back to the left inlane?

Cool. Yes, the one that moves up / down to redirect the ball either to the upper playfield or to the left inlane. Is it just an adjustment underneath or a menu option setting?

#12660 2 years ago

Does anyone know if there's a setting in the game to adjust the non in song mode volume of the background music. I have a Pinwoofer configured in my game using recommended settings but the standard in game background music seems a bit low.

#12662 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

There's a setting to boost the volume of the song mode music. Go ahead and turn that off then all of your in-game music should be at the same approximate level. I forgot exactly what it's called, but it's right next to the other settings that you adjust for sound level.

Thank you!

#12814 2 years ago

Anyone with a latest July build decide to remove the posts with black washers and install mylar squares under the washer? Still debating on doing this with < 50 games in on my July build LE but not sure if it's necessary.

#12828 2 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

all i'm doing is adding rubbers to the posts without them. you couldn't pay me to play it without them; don't care if that's the design or not.

Good idea, thanks. I just added rubbers to the two posts without them, one near the left inlane and one on the upper playfield. I wonder why those two posts don't come with rubbers from the factory?

Also, after 10 games I noticed the factory balls starting to look rather dull and slightly dinged up. I tossed them out and put in some balls I had ordered from Ball Baron a while back.

#12893 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I wonder what % of people are having issues?

Have wondered that myself. There seems to be a lot of affected playfields but I've also read multiple posts from December, March, and April owners that don't have any issues.

What's interesting on my July build game is that a playfield manufacturing date isn't stamped anywhere on the playfield. I looked all over for it. Game has all of the latest fixes and hoping that it doesn't have any issues. I should probably still remove the posts in question at this time and apply mylar squares while still under 50 plays.

#12903 2 years ago

Does anyone know the easiest way to adjust the left ramp divertor? This is the ramp diverter that goes up and down to allow balls into the upper playfield or return to the left flipper. On my game the divertor seems just a tad low and the bottom left edge of it is preventing balls from exiting (when it down position) as balls fall off the mini playfield and try to pass through the loop.

#12922 2 years ago

Got my game yesterday and we are out of town this weekend so I just said fuck it and we played a few games tonight without bulletproofing the playfield. Got to a couple songs but got booed off pretty quick. Game should be lots a fun but I hope I donā€™t regret playing the game in the factory shipped condition. [quoted image]

If you have one of the newer build games, sounds like a July build if you just got it, then you should be fine with all of the latest fixes. The only extra preventive measure you could do is remove a few of the posts suffering the issue the most on earlier builds (by inlanes, 1 on upper mini playfield, 2 near the pops) and add a piece of mylar under the black washer.

#13110 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Here are my pinwoofer amp settings for reference. I think it's dialed in pretty well, but curious if you guys have other settings. Those knobs are sensitive![quoted image][quoted image]

Will try those settings, thanks! I think my backbox speaker volume needs to be turned down a bit, it's a bit too loud but I have the setting at the 2 - 3pm position lol.

#13176 2 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

No substantial code updates since the game was released really. It seems excessively long to me between updates.

It's very odd. JJP used to crank out code updates but that hasn't occurred in years. Pirates owners are still waiting for a final wizard mode and that game was 2 releases / 3+ years ago...

I remember the days of massive WOZ updates dropping monthly. Same goes for The Hobbit during its final few updates. It's just odd seeing GNR, JJP's flagship game, receiving very few substantial updates.

#13177 2 years ago

For Pinwoofer owners did you install the anti rattle tape on your Invisiglass? Does it matter what side of the glass it goes on? I'm not sure if the anti rattle tape adhesive would cause any damage to the Invisiglass glass.

#13181 2 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey PanzerFreak - the GT electronics minimize most of the terms that give rise to glass shake, with limits, so we supply the glass tape.
I recommend putting the tape on top. The only reason being less friciton on the tape itself from the weight of the glass when taking it in and out, so the thinking is that the tape will bond longer.
IG is a bit thicker than Tempered Glass so I recommend taping just one side (left or right) and first try that for fit so you don't end up with a tight glass. If it is too tight, abort.
The tape adhesive is acrylic and neutral Ph (7 +/- 0.1). I can't imagine glass being even remotely sensitive to it.

Thank you so much for the information and tips! I'll try that.

#13335 2 years ago

Regarding beta code, do you have to sign up for the JJP beta program to download beta code or is there just a toggle in the game menu to download beta code over WiFi?

#13340 2 years ago
Quoted from MutterFudder:

Toggle on the game will present you with a beta agreement to join the beta program. You accept the agreement by hitting start. After that, the game will look to the beta channel for updates -- you will just update to the beta code from the same wifi update mechanism as before.
You can also see the JJP beta post for how to join the beta chat, if you're so inclined: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-open-beta-program

Thank you! That was easy to do

20210810_121035 (resized).jpg20210810_121035 (resized).jpg

#13473 2 years ago

Does anyone know if it's an option to turn off add a ball during song modes? I like the default settings but for tournament / league play I was wondering if add a ball during song modes can be turned off. Part of me also wants to try it for home play as playing a song mode with only the balls you earn prior to starting a mode seems like an extra challenge.

#13490 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone know if it's an option to turn off add a ball during song modes? I like the default settings but for tournament / league play I was wondering if add a ball during song modes can be turned off. Part of me also wants to try it for home play as playing a song mode with only the balls you earn prior to starting a mode seems like an extra challenge.

Just a heads up, there is a setting to turn add a ball off for song modes. I disabled add a ball for song modes and think the game is so much better for it. The player already has the opportunity to earn up to a 6 ball multiball prior to a song starting + the default song mode ball saver is 60 seconds. With add a ball turned off I think it makes going for locks prior to starting a song mode more meaningful and it adds more risk to continue going through stages during a song. Leaving add a ball on for song modes makes the game too multiball heavy in my opinion, the game seems more fun with the setting turned off.

#13492 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I wish I were a stronger player, those add-a-balls are life to me. Plus the whole "decision point" stress of "bail now, or push your luck?" is awesome.

Yeah good point. I like that the programmers loaded the game up with a lot of different settings to tweak it as we see fit. Game is awesome!

#13545 2 years ago

Iā€™m so lost on looking up whatā€™s required to make this new pin playable. And I tore down a Williams Indy SuperPin to the PF (seems much easier). Is this normal for NIB?

Nothing really, maybe some minor tweaks out of the box. Just recently I recieved an LE made in July with all of the latest fixes. Had to adjust the lock posts and ramp divertor, both were quick tweaks. Game plays great.

On a latest build I think it's unnecessary to change out the washers, apply mylar, etc. The latest builds have a combo of washers, nuts, and who knows what else that have pretty much stopped all reports of pooling / chipping.

#13559 2 years ago

With newer build games, late June / July going forward, with the latest combination of black washers, longer posts, nuts, etc is it still necessary to remove the black washers and replace with PETG ones? We were hearing multiple reports of pooling / chipping with some April, May, and early June builds but that seems to have stopped completely with the latest build games.

1 month later
#15721 2 years ago

Ok, so Iā€™m 1 step closer to having time to unbox and bullet proof this GNR.
Here is a list of items I have. Let me know if I left anything out:
1. Cliffys - Check
2. BallBaron Carbon Balls - Check
3. Titan Rubbers - Check
4. Williams large posts - (1-7/8" Tall Metal Post With #10-32 Threaded Base) - check
5. 3/4 & 7/8 Clear PETG washers - check
6. Pinball Life GNR post & washer kit - check
7. Pinmonk Tibetan Breeze & Airball drain stopper - ordered
8. 0.625 Nylon Fender Washers for leg bolts - Ordered
9. Topper - Check
10. LE sideblades - ordered
11. ???
Do these items exist?
1. Plastic Protectors? (Seems like Pinbits is no longer)
2. Also sounds like the Servos for the spot lights are an issue. Iā€™ll probably just unplug these unless thereā€™s a sure fire fix that last more than 100 plays
Anything I left out besides some hard alcohol and 12 hours of my time to get these in place?[quoted image][quoted image]

Do you know your games build date? If it's late June + you shouldn't need to install / replace any of the existing washers and posts. The latest builds are using an updated washer and post combination that seems to have stopped any playfield issues.

1 week later
#15955 2 years ago

Sounds like a code update will be dropping for GNR tomorrow that adds and or enhances ScoreBit support. The Facebook post below is from this afternoon after JJP posted a video about achievements with ScoreBit. Hopefully the code update adds some new gameplay related items as well.

Screenshot_20211011-170517_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211011-170517_Chrome (resized).jpg

#15989 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

In the new update, the Big Game Start Effect is fucking awesome lol!!!

Cool! Will have to download it soon, new change log is up on the JJP site.

At this point are there any modes that are missing or modes that are incomplete?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#16007 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Nope I actually like it, I'll post a video of the intro one sec.
HD is still processing:

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing

3 weeks later
#17198 2 years ago

Has anyone tweaked the left ramp divertor so that it doesn't smash into the playfield as it drops into the down position? A piece of it appears to be hitting the wood around the playfield area it comes out of. The top piece of the divertor has already been adjusted to sit as high as it can yet it's still hitting the playfield a bit. I put a double piece of mylar on mine for now but not sure how well that will hold up.

Screenshot 2021-11-05 130727 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-05 130727 (resized).png

#17214 2 years ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

I havenā€™t tweaked it but I ordered the Cliffy carbon fiber actuator rod protector for that location and I hope it will prevent playfield damage. Still waiting to receive it.[quoted image]

Thanks, will check that out.

You do it from under the PF. You will need to move it up a tad (not too much though you donā€™t want it above the plastic). I marked the original settings before I loosened it and move it enough to where it doesnā€™t hit

Thanks! Will try that.

1 month later
#18491 2 years ago

Installed the official art blades tonight (well again lol, see below) and overall I think they look very nice. The game definitely stands out more with the art blades installed. Its also nice that each art blade has unique artwork.

Note! You must use the included clear plastic protectors anytime you are lifting or lowering the playfield with these art blades. I've never seen so little room between a playfield and cabinet before. I actually made a mistake during my first install attempt, ripped both art blades and had to order a second set as I accidently forgot to install the protectors when lowering the playfield (lesson learned).

For the second time around I tried the wet method to install these and it didn't really work. There's so little room in between the playfield and cabinet that even with a bit of soapy water sprayed on the blades still got stuck. I ended up having to apply them with the backing on and then remove it a few pieces at a time. Again, always use the clear plastic blade protectors during and after installation.

One last thing, it's disappointing to see how thin the official JJP art blades are compared to Sterns that in my opinion are thicker, have what appears to be a more durable surface coating, and are cheaper ($90 versus $130).

Screenshot_20211214-230137_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211214-230137_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211214-230149_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211214-230149_Gallery (resized).jpg

#18499 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The game I just purchased had mirror blades installed. I much prefer the look of mirror blades on this title...the art blade art is too busy for my eye. Just looks like a rehash of the LE cabinet artwork...

Mirror blades are always cool. What's nice about the art blades is that all of the art work is unique compared to the LE cabinet artwork and each side has its own art. It's not a rehash of anything thankfully.

8 months later
#22629 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Keefer just said this on the beta thread
ā€œ Afaik beta and release gnr are the same at this time, though that is likely to change very soon.ā€
Sounds like a code update comingā€¦at some point anyway

I sure hope so. JJP's code support has been very disappointing IMO as of late. Updates come out very infrequently and then are typically just bug fixes versus adding anything new, and polishing existing modes. Can't believe I'm saying this but Stern is now offering better and more consistent code support.

#22684 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The changelog just mentions that it is updating the updater. Maybe in preparation for a more significant future update?
[quoted image]

6quvf9 (resized).jpg6quvf9 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#22758 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

New Beta 23 offers an equalizer. I played with it for 20 minutes and created this custom curve, finding it to be much superior to default/flat. But it's early days. Might decide I don't like the high end roll off or some other aspect.
[quoted image]

That's awesome! Very cool addition. Thank you for sharing the settings. Will have to check out the change log to see what also has been added with beta 23.

1 month later
#23187 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Expoā€¦.software updateā€¦.tic tic tic???
If not now, when?

I don't get it. What happened to releasing software updates at JJP? Stern is cranking them out and then crickets from JJP. I was at a pinball league this past weekend and myself and the other 3 GNR owners all said this game desperately needs score balancing, additional mode polish, etc. There's a reason GNR has been taking a hit on the used market lately and a big part of that is code related. Please listen to your customers JJP.

Hopefully this latest public GNR code update is a game changer as it needs to be. JJP still has some of the best programmers in pinball and I know they can deliver great code work as many of their past games (especially WOZ and Hobbit) have already proved that.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#23390 1 year ago

#Where's the code? It's been over a year since the last public update...

#23410 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

It's true tho.
If you prefer clunky shooting, flow interrupting games that break a lot then the LE is exactly what you want. Not saying its horrible, I mean it is GNR....
If you want to not worry about it breaking and get some actual flow and smoothness going then the SE is the way to go.
Up to you and your preference.

This is one of the old "The SE plays faster" and "Pro's player faster" style arguments. Of course they play faster...there's not a lot in them! Lol.

#23418 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

SE blows. LE is the better game. We all know that. Letā€™s move on. Now where is the Fā€™n code update!!!

Waiting for a GNR code update

Waiting-Skeleton (resized).jpgWaiting-Skeleton (resized).jpg

1 month later
#23788 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Download the beta. The next release is coming along.

GNR desperately needs a massive code update. JJP did this with The Hobbit, listened to owners feedback, and released several massive code updates to improve the game. Why is it taking so long for JJP to release not just a code update for GNR but for any game? They haven't released a code update for a game, other then some minor ones for Toy Story, in over a year which seems very odd as they were (sadly using were) a company that would crank out updates.

This being in beta pattern for months on end is extremely frustrating as an owner while Stern meanwhile is constantly releasing public updates to their customers.

2 weeks later
#23895 1 year ago

Has anyone seen this before? Just happened after installing one of the latest betas. I had the game off for a while, have never seen this.

150120B9-55C5-4A3C-89E2-1C7B310D09FE (resized).jpeg150120B9-55C5-4A3C-89E2-1C7B310D09FE (resized).jpeg

#23896 1 year ago

Fixed the power up / bios screen issue. The power cable to the SSD was unplugged. The game powered up just fine once powered back on but now I have no audio! lol, time to diagnose the next issue.

#23898 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

A setting in bios change when you powered up the motherboard without ssd hooked up ?
LTG : )

Possibly Iā€™ll check it, thank you. All of my audio connections look good. Is there anyway to force going into the bios now that the hard drive is hooked back up?

#23899 1 year ago

Hereā€™s the audio settings Iā€™m seeing in the bios (just disconnected hard drive again to get into it). I do have a Pinwoofer setup / amp connected to the game.

0FF4E30D-E34C-4FFA-9719-CE18810601C1 (resized).jpeg0FF4E30D-E34C-4FFA-9719-CE18810601C1 (resized).jpeg

#23900 1 year ago

Got the audio part of the way back, loose Pinwoofer cable. However now it sounds very garbled.

Update: fixed! Pinwoofer cable was loose again. Go figure all this happened right before Iā€™m having family over lol.

#23947 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

I hope you all will enjoy our upcoming release that's coming soon. We're just trying to make the release really solid for you all and resolve many of these issues.
The issue with the "Loading Session" hangup has been resolved, along with the addition of auto-claim/save with the app off. Sorry for the trouble.

Thank you for the update and for all of the work being put in today GNR code.

#23954 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Agree, I find the Stern experience much more intuitive and seamless to use.

Agree. Stern designed Insider Connected from the ground up, itā€™s intended just for them and the quality shows. Scorebit while neat just isnā€™t on the same level of integration and quality IMO.

#23957 1 year ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I don't have the link handy, but somewhere in this thread is a link to a website where you could buy all six replacement stickers for the record for $30, so if you have to cut a hole in the decal you can order those and then also choose which album sticker you want on your spinner as well as have backups

Should be this one below.

https://pinballwizard.com/products/guns-n-roses-platinum-record-decal-set

2 weeks later
#24152 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

....but where is the code.....

GNR needs a couple big game changing updates like JJP did the with the Hobbit. GNR has been hammered on the secondary market because of its code. It sounds like something is being worked on but itā€™s been over a year since JJP released a public update for GNRā€¦Hopefully a big code update is right around the corner.

#24155 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Have you not heard of the open Beta program? Plenty of updates happening there. No major issues. Seems like any other normal progressive series of code updates. Just ignore the beta moniker and treat it like a regular update and you should find more happiness.

Beta updates are great and all but they don't change the general perception about the games code as they are not official updates. I doubt half of GNR home owners and likely 0% of location operators are running beta code. Where's a new public code release? It's been over a year since the last one. A public code release has the capability to change the perception of GNR, increase sales, and positively impact it's value.

This whole code being in beta for 6+ months and in some cases years (Pirates) has gotten a bit ridiculous. I love JJP games but their code support and frequency of public updates has fallen from years past. I'm not the only one thinking this way, 3 other GNR owners in a pinball league I'm in are saying similar things and one of them is now selling their game. As a customer it's making me starting to look at Stern pins, which for the past 5 years have had great code support, for my next pin purchase.

1 week later
#24215 1 year ago

GNR (resized).jpgGNR (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#24404 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

The rules on GnR are awesome in my opinion...Simple play if you want, or super duper deep if you want to get into the patches

Just waiting for the public code update to drop. How long can an update be in beta for? I love JJP games but why on Earth is it taking years for code updates to now drop?

2 weeks later
#24667 1 year ago

Bummer. The only reason to do this is if JJP plans to develop their own online connected platform as Stern has. I actually hope this is the case as ScoreBit has always felt as the inferior product (still impressive) to Sterns Insider Connected IMO. JJP implementing their own proprietary online system would like be a big improvement.

Now if JJP just removes ScoreBit and doesnā€™t have a replacement that is a huge disappointment. Maybe they donā€™t want to keep supporting it with code releases as so few code updates are now released from the companyā€¦

#24705 1 year ago
Quoted from Pizza-Bob:

Why are there so many GNR LE for sale in marketplace so cheap?

Lack of code support is a big one. The game hasnā€™t received a single code update in over a year!

JJP could easily improve game sales, company goodwill, and game value through additional code support. Stern gets it, JJP has sadly lost it as of late.

#24710 1 year ago

Beta code updates are great but they donā€™t have the capability to change a gameā€™s public perception and therefore value. Many home owners likely donā€™t opt into beta updates and location owners running beta code are probably few and far between. Also how long has Pirates code been in beta? Do you want to wait 3 years? Lol.

The same thing goes for having to implement 10 community suggested setting tweaks to fix scoring balance issues. That wonā€™t change game perception and value.

#24718 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Because maybe they want to sell?
PanzerFreak are you thinking about selling?

No Iā€™m not selling. JJP will get the code done right hopefully, I need to keep in mind that they are releasing beta updates. The long wait though is a bummer, hopefully the new programming hire helps speed up code updates.

#24725 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Code's buggy and unbalanced. The polish hasn't happened yet, and we're almost 3 years in. People are ready to move on because it feels like the new JJP has.

Bingo. A reasonable amount of wait time has passed, a lot of owners are upset after having spent $9500+ on these. Meanwhile Stern cranks out the code updates. Yes Stern releases games more incomplete but they complete and polish code far faster over the past 5 years.

1 week later
#24898 1 year ago

Vegas odds are out for a GNR code update being announced at TPF.

123 (resized).jpg123 (resized).jpg

#24900 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I think I may have found a useful resource for you.
https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/contact/

Code inquiries using that method go to the black hole below.

sgr A_ ESO and M. Kornmesser 690 (resized).jpgsgr A_ ESO and M. Kornmesser 690 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#25290 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

When I was looking at getting a GnR part of my decision was a gamble that they would update code.
I knew it was a gamble but the pin is so fucking cool and beautiful I couldnā€™t resist any longer.
I traded my 5 year old DI for it.
Iā€™m happy with deal because I had played out on DI?
Keefer please finish code on GnR
you know it needs it and Iā€™m sure it keeps you awake at night so just do it!!!!

Code support from JJP has sadly been abysmal over the past few years, I don't know what's going on. I'm sure JJP staff are tired of reading these types of comments but they were the ones that set the persistent of JJP games receiving deep code support with games like WOZ, Hobbit, and Dialed In. It's been 18 months since GNR received it's last code update. That's how the best selling JJP game of all time is treated it? Again I don't understand it. There's a reason so many GNR's are listed on the marketplace and lack of code support is the number one contributor IMO.

Code cannot be in beta forever either, that's another one I don't understand. Publicly releasing code is what can change a games perception, a games value, and more importantly for JJP a companies overall perception. Why should I buy Godfather or the next JJP title when the previous several are not polished, missing modes, and need more more choreography? I recently sold a couple games and Godfather was a potential next title for me but I just can't stomach a purchase due to where past JJP titles are at code wise. Sadly I can only assume Godfather will be treated the same way, goes back to the perception point. I'll be buying a Cactus Canyon remake or Godzilla Premium instead.

#25296 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just curious , what do you think is missing from The Godfather code ?

Thereā€™s a severe lack of choreography in all of the games multiballs. Compound multiball, Sicily multiball, etc are all very generic IMO. Thereā€™s the same animation playing throughout them. What about a compound is going on Compound Multiball? Nothing. Thereā€™s no unique animations, callouts, etc that change / play as shots are made. Same goes for the others. What about Sicily is going on with Sicily multiball? Nothing, itā€™s just random jackpot shots. If thatā€™s just the way they were designed thatā€™s very underwhelming.

Meanwhile at Stern todayā€¦

A44E02B7-44C7-498B-B348-E70B426CDDB9 (resized).jpegA44E02B7-44C7-498B-B348-E70B426CDDB9 (resized).jpeg

#25298 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

You need a YouTube channel dude. You need a bigger platform and I think you'd do well, seriously.

Lol thank you. My wife would probably like that so I start talking less about pinball to her all the time haha.

#25300 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

In other news. Iā€™ve had my GNR for 2 1/2 years and games that have come and gone and tried to dethrone GNR are, in no particular order:
IMDN
Jurassic Park
Deadpool
LOV
TMNT
AIQ
So thereā€™s that. All in all Panzer, it might be a good idea to sell and get a Godzilla if youā€™re into code updates. But it seems that people tire of that game in just a few months, can you say most overrated game on pinside? Fair warning. Other than that; whatā€™s your main gripes on GNR code and have you tried adjusting settings?
But yea, a code update for GNR would be nice.

Oh yeah, GNR is still awesome. I'm definitely not selling mine, my wife and I enjoy it a lot.

2 weeks later
#25421 11 months ago
Quoted from altan:

I don't understand all the code complaining. While not perfect answers, there are some obvious choices:
1. Make small changes to the game settings, reduce multi ball, you can make it however you like! SOLUTION.
2. Grab the beta. It's got bug fixes, some adjusted light shows, EQ and other stuff. SOLUTION
3. Do #1 and #2, enjoy the game. Maybe some more aggressive change will come, be happy with what you have. SOLUTION.
4. Move on and sell. The game isn't for you w/its current functionality. SOLUTION.
Clearly the above is somewhat tongue-in-cheek ... everyone is free to speak their mind.

People paid upwards of $12k+ for this game and there hasnā€™t been a publicly released code update in over 18 months. The lack of code updates has clearly hurt game sales as well as resale value. Thereā€™s things JJP could do with the code but they refuse to acknowledge concerns from the community. The company now seems more focused on coding the next game and moving on. Heck Pirates was announced 5 years ago and still doesnā€™t have it final wizard mode.

Also, having to manually tweaks settings doesnā€™t change perception about the game as location players, and many home owners, will never make those changes. Needing to tweak settings also shows ā€œsomething isnā€™t working rightā€ by default, it exposes flaws. Finally how long can a code update remain in beta? 6 months seems like a while but a year+? Thatā€™s ridiculous.

I like my GNR LE, itā€™s not going anywhere, but the lack of code support had led to me choose a Stern for my next pinball purchase versus JJP. I just placed a deposit down for a Godzilla Premium over a Godfather LE due the code update situation over at JJP. Iā€™m done waiting for code updates that never come or those that only offer a few bug fixes (and removal of ScoreBit lol).

#25422 11 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Keefer and crew have repeatedly said a production update is coming, the beta work is part of that process, and when all the bugs, and items have been dealt with, it will release. They reinforced what we know yet again with the Facebook response. See altan post above for options

Whatā€™s a reasonable amount of time for a code update to be in beta? A few months great, 6 months alright, but 18 months+? No. The next time my wife asks me to work on a house project Iā€™ll just say ā€œitā€™s in betaā€ and see if I can wait a year and a half lol. Meanwhile Stern is putting out code updates and continuing to polish their games (while implementing some changes based on owner feedback) left and right.

GNR has tanked in value and a big part of that is due to to the state of its code. JJPā€™s lack of action has shown they donā€™t care and thatā€™s sad as it didnā€™t used to be that way. JJP once implemented some massive game changing updates with Hobbit based on community feedback. Those updates had a huge impact on the game including its value and I bet more games sales. Is JJP that same company today? I sure hope so but as each day passes without a substantial code update that starts to fade.

#25424 11 months ago

617511C4-5BC6-4497-B589-E1F043119A0E (resized).jpeg617511C4-5BC6-4497-B589-E1F043119A0E (resized).jpeg

#25428 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

All this talk of if they do Code updates , the game will go up in value , is just crap .
They've sold so many and they're still available NIB , so why would it go up in price ?
Once they're no longer available , that's when they will rise in value .
It's not like they're going to add video modes or change the style of gameplay , they'll just do some score balancing and some tweaks . So if you don't like how it plays now , move on and find something you prefer .
And they've released a number of code updates but if you don't want to use them , that's your choice .

Code updates have a direct impact to game value. Ghostbusters and Hobbit for example wouldn't be worth what they are today without the last few big code updates each game received. Same goes for a ton of other games. Jurassic Park by Stern would in no way be worth what it is today without those final couple code updates that went above and beyond to polish and add additional modes to the game.

If code complete was represented by a finish line then JJP is just barely reaching it with their latest games while Stern is running past the line another mile or so to deliver more value for customers. Stern has likely sold as many Godzilla's as JJP GNR's yet look at that games value! Why is it so high? A big part of that is the incredible code support from Stern. A Godzilla premium, a premium, is now worth more then a GNR LE that has more features in it. That's sad.

GNR needs a 2.0 style update, not just some minor scoring balance and tweaks. There's a number of multiballs in the game that just feel mindless with little mode choreography. Have them all stacking together, toss in the "shoot everything" mode and the game can feel like a big mess at times. If the game stays as it is ok, that makes my decision to buy a Godzilla over Godfather feel even better. I'm not dealing with this same code update waiting game again at these insane prices.

#25434 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Tell me what the big code update was , which changed the value of the Hobbit .
Last big update , let you see in the game menu , when you held a Flipper , was all the different values of the modes and if you had done them or not , that's not going to change the price of the game .
The Hobbit went up in value because after all the bullshit hate of there's nothing to shoot for and there's nothing in it , died down , people realised what an awesome game and how incorporated all the modes were and had all the assets and when you couldn't buy a new one , it went up in value .
And Ghostbusters is just as divisive as it ever was , and once again the reason it's gone up in value is because you can't buy a NIB .

Checkout the release notes below, that first big update, 2.9, is when everything started to change for the Hobbit. A ton of things were added (final wizard mode, the mode ranking system, mode rewrites, new lightshots, new animations, etc) and then things only continued to improve from there. There's a bunch of other smaller updates I didn't even add that continued to polish the game. If these updates were not added game value would have continued to tank and it wouldn't be as well regarded as it is today.

The update wait for Hobbit from 2.01 (December 15th, 2017) to 2.9 (June 28th, 2018) is about the same amount of time where we are at now with waiting for a GNR code update. Will the GNR code update be anywhere near as substantial as what we see below with Hobbit? Sadly probably not but this is what JJP was once capable of and I hope we see a return to code update glory from them.

This is how you polish and support a game post release! This is what "we make the best pinball machines in the world" looks like. This is what Stern is doing now...

hobbit_1 (resized).jpghobbit_1 (resized).jpg
hobbit_2 (resized).jpghobbit_2 (resized).jpg
hobbit_3 (resized).jpghobbit_3 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#25517 11 months ago

Help us Keith and deliver a great code update for this game

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png
2 (resized).png2 (resized).png
3 (resized).png3 (resized).png

3 weeks later
#25567 10 months ago

I'm beginning to think JJP doesn't care! Is the world record but a code update being in beta trying to be beat? Never mind, I think Pirates is winning that race.

7ot0vl (resized).jpg7ot0vl (resized).jpg

#25589 10 months ago
Quoted from Kalipin:

On the topic of constant code updates, I understand working thrru the initial kinks is a mustā€¦.but once a game is mature , how can the manufacturers constantly provide updates without new revenueā€¦.has anyone in the industry consisdered selling updates as a subscriptionā€¦.ie, they work on something new and worthwhile and we pay for itā€¦.or even open it up for third party hobbyists to sell their updatesā€¦.

I don't think anyone is asking for constant updates but just for a big update to finally be released and one that doesn't sit in beta forever. It's now been 20 months since the last code update was released for the game. Customers paid upwards of $12k+ for these games and deserve to have the code properly completed and polished. The lack of polish updates for this game is also causing it's resale value to tank. Releasing more code is an "easy" way for JJP to generate new game sales and create customer goodwill for future purchases.

JJP can choose to no longer support a game and or not to polish it after seeing hundreds of customer complaints, that's fine, but they then have to accept that such action will upset some customers and those customers future pinball dollars will go elsewhere. That's what happened to me. I could have spent $12k on a new JJP Godfather LE but nope, that money is going towards a Godzilla Premium and the main reason why is because of the code support situation at JJP.

2 weeks later
#25667 9 months ago

Please fix this and release a public code update JJP. This wait is beyond ridicilous at this point. Not giving JJP another dime for a game until Pirates code is completed and GNR code is heavily polished. Add another mode or two to Toy Story while at it. Do something.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 101551 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-06-30 101551 (resized).jpg

#25669 9 months ago
Quoted from altan:

Dude, while I agree an official code drop with lots of awesome newness is preferred, I've lost track of your goal in continuing to post this over and over. The same thing. You want code. We get it.
Yet in this specific case, the solution already exists. Adjust one or two settings.
BTW, I don't think JJP is a bucket full of dummies. I suspect JJP knows that a lot of their customers love multi ball. They did this on purpose.
Yet because they aren't a bucket full of dummies, they provided a solution already for people that want less.
Yet you continue to ignore.

Yup will continue to wait, nothing else to do (well besides give my money to Stern instead of JJP for a Godzilla premium). I'll try making some more settings tweaks.

2 weeks later
#25881 9 months ago
Quoted from TICTAC:

In great shape [quoted image]

Did you ask Slash about when GNR is finally getting a public release code update?

#25893 9 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Now that you mentioned it, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what JJP will go with

Lol probably. I hope 3+ years of minimal code updates has been worth lost sales and taking a massive customer goodwill hit.

#25926 9 months ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

If you play Sweet Child of Mine backwards, at 2:39 into the song, Axl says "January 21". So there's your answer.

January 21st, 2025, next code update confirmed! Rumor additions below.

+ Update to update the updater for future updates

3 weeks later
#26000 8 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

For code updates I would contact PanzerFreak

LOL

There's no code update coming, I've given up looking forward to it at this point. JJP has forgotten how to put out public code updates, substantial updates (update to update the updater and removing Scorebit doesn't count), and is likely working on their next title.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 221409 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-08-08 221409 (resized).jpg

download (4) (resized).jpgdownload (4) (resized).jpg

fddf (resized).pngfddf (resized).png

#26003 8 months ago

Hilarious but also sad & true

Yeah, it is sad as JJP didnā€™t used to be this way. Itā€™s as if they donā€™t care about code support anymore which is crazy considering the prices for these games. Sure thereā€™s beta updates but code being stuck in beta for years is ridiculous. I love my JJP games but Iā€™m done buying anymore until they turn their code support situation around.

IMG_3805 (resized).jpegIMG_3805 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#26037 8 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

JJP should spend their time finalizing the code update instead of wasting time on posters that are simply an image from the playfield

This 1000% JJP won't get another dime from me until they start putting out some substantial public code updates. Enough is enough, this wait is insane.

#26062 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Waiting...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Just opened with it's so easy...
[quoted image]

Very cool. Speaking of waiting did they say anything about a code update? Lol

#26075 7 months ago

I asked Axl at the show if a code update is finally coming out for GNR and he yelled in a perfect high pitch voice.

"Ya gotta keep pushin' JJP for the code and fame
You know code updates are all a gamble when it's just a JJP pinball game"

He then left, it was something.

2 weeks later
#26152 7 months ago

Since JJP has no intention on updating the code or supporting this pin, they should do us loyal owners a favor and cut off production now short of 5000. 5K was really never what I would consider limited. I think others see it the same otherwise it would be sold out. DE GNR was only 3K. Does that make it SLE?
Wonka and POTC held value as soon as they cut production. I think itā€™s time JJP caps this one and focuses on the next title

If JJP doesnā€™t care about properly supporting their games with code then they sure as hell donā€™t care about game value anymore.

Nearly 700 days since the last GNR code update, itā€™s sad and pathetic at this point.

#26154 7 months ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

They were marketing the wifi feature like it was the best thing since sliced bread. All that for basically 1.5 updates. So much effort for so little in return

Yup. Same with the "Equalizer". Yeah it's neat, but come on polish and expand the existing code. JJP is acting like they are completely ignoring these concerns from customers and it's clear it's impacting their sales.

If JJP goes into Expo with radio silence on code and their Scorebit replacement then I don't know what to think. Just a bad look and the complete opposite attitude of what JJP started with.

#26160 7 months ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Has anyone tried calling or emailing JJP directly regarding code updates? Serious question. If so, what was the response, if any? Approaching 2 years now is ridiculous.
On a side note, GnR is live at Thompson Boling arena tonight, and I'm super stoked!!

Yeah all I hear is "we're sorry the number you have dialed has been disconnected ".

#26163 7 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I've been playing GF in our league for a few months now and it's a fun pin with interesting shots. But the code and scoring is a mess and I'm pretty confident JJP will never fix the this. GnR is my last NIB JJP pin, I'm done with them.

Yup. That's the problem with JJP not completing Pirates and not polishing GNR code. A new precedent has been set of "Maybe code will be completed and polished for your next JJP purchase, but maybe not". It's a roll of the dice and at these prices it's not a chance worth taking IMO. Hope they turn things around and come out at Expo with a bunch of code related news.

#26170 7 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Solid post and I agree with many aspects you mentioned. Scoring can be a tad unbalanced in certain areas - no big deal. Weā€™ll get there eventually.

We are past eventually. When will we get there? It's now been 700 days since a GNR code update. This wait is insane. No more JJP's for me until the code situation turns around.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 100251 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-09-13 100251 (resized).jpg

#26174 7 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Can they bundle all of that together and release as a code update?Along with a few other goodies?

JJP

dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gifdont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

#26176 7 months ago
Quoted from MutterFudder:

Minor/personal preference stuff:
- Some of the song modes have much harder shots than others and aren't score balanced for their difficulty.
- Song Level and its impact on score/jackpot escalations isn't shown anywhere (would be a nice add to the tutorials section).
- Some song effects leave the playfield completely dark. This looks "cool" but nothing more rage inducing than draining out because all 200 twinkly lights went out for 3s.
- Would be nice to have collected badges faster than instant info, would be great to line the ones you have above the score area for those of us who know them all by heart now.
Medium priority:
- Song scoring/difficulty pass. Hard shots should complete levels sooner, and be worth more points.
- Album modes need a score boost. Not worth playing at all unless platinum albums have been achieved, and even then, it's not worth the additional risk when songs give you more safety/ball save/points.
- Value increase of mini multiballs should be shown (jackpots award +x song level).
- Some lower quality badges could be rebalanced. Badge order could be balanced.
- I like Scorbit, but if you're ripping it out, you better have something similar for me. Nothing really there.
- Would be nice to optionally buy the newer power driver boards from TS4/Godfather that make flippers not feel like overcooked spaghetti. Precision flippers help but are not a solution.
High priority:
- Song Level isn't anywhere on the screen unless in song mode. At the LEAST it should be in instant info, but it really should be on the score section of the screen at all times. You can't determine if your song level is high enough for your liking before starting a song, or if you should work towards that last mini MB before starting your song. Very important in competitive settings.
- There absolutely should not be "start song" as a mystery mode. It's detrimental to be playing and not prepared to lock songs, and then you have to get out quick and requalify everything if the value isn't there. If you're completely averse to that for some reason...
- You need to be able to abort songs when going into the scoop. See above. Let me hold the action button and kick the ball back to me. Make me requalify some band members as a penalty if you must. Fine. Whatever.
- The game has absolutely no competition/remove randomness settings whatsoever. Players in a competition should have fixed order of scoop awards at the least, and some other minor settings would be appreciated as well.
It sucks because the game can do a lot of interesting and really rad things, but there's way way too many things that needed more polish. Not showing the most important scoring number anywhere before starting a song is just straight dumb. And I realize that most folks don't care about score balance and competition, but most every good game by any measure has them. This is an area where Stern, Bally, and Williams to name a few are just head and shoulders above JJP (and Spooky, but that's another thread).

Great list! Excellent points.

I just want to add this complaint as well. The 4 booster multiballs pretty much suck, are boring, and come across as pointless.

Make Some Noise Multiball, Throw the Lights Multiball, Ignite the Flames Multiball, and Turn it Up! Multiball all suck are boring soulless modes. No game should give the player a feeling of giving out random multiballs but GNR excels at it. Each of those 4 multiballs should be rewritten to be more meaningful, with actual mode choreography, and you know actually be fun.

#26179 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I find you amusing most of the time and your points about update and care for this game by JJP to finish and polish are valid but this makes you sound as if you don't understand the game design which really translates into not liking the game which makes me wonder why you bought it and kept it this long. Eric didn't accidently make the game multiball heavy. It's the flipping design. It works. If you don't like it and it's so important not to have Multiballs like this then you just bought the wrong game for the wrong reasons without playing it first.
Imo you just can't subtract the Multiballs from this game and have it be close to as good. It's supposed to be multiball heavy. It's a broken record played since day 1 to posts like yours.
You can make them harder to achieve with a sacrifice to scoring, but I did that , tried it for a while and it's just not the same level of fun. The game became anemic, neutered and more boring, less of a rollercoaster that it is designed to be that I think makes it great.
Your credibility as a GNR owner is now questionable and you sound like an uneducated ax grinder, not the picket holding cheerleader clamoring for updates that you normally are.
How you feel about too many Multiballs is how many pinsiders feel about your frequency of same old posts.
Love u man... But you missed it with this post.

I disagree, the game is far too multiball heavy. The 4 booster multiballs feel very generic and are given out to easily. I listed out a way they could be improved but you ignored that. I can like the game but not like some things about it. That's normal, just like how you can like how mutliball heavy it is. I think I'll try some of the suggestions posted here to ease the frequency of those booster multiballs.

GNR is a good game, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Would just to see it be a great game and it's the code holding it back IMO. I'm far from the only one thinking this way. There's a reasonable amount of time to wait for code to be completed / polished and nearly 2 years isn't it.

Quoted from altan:

[quoted image]

Lol, ok I'll take a break. Will be optimistic, a massive code update is right around the corner for the game. That corner may be another 100, 200, or 300 days away but it's there.

#26188 7 months ago

If JJP really wanted to make GnR more desirable/valuable, they'd first announce they're done making more. Then, they'd follow that up with a huge code update including a few new songs, videos, light shows, and the suggested changes we've all been discussing. One can dream, right?

Yeah, this should be their approach, especially for code. Instead it's radio silence. Ok cool JJP, my wallet has gone radio silent for any future JJP purchases.

JJP already has our money and could care less about the future value of their machines.

This, they used to, but clearly don't anymore. On the bright side they are focused on $1500 accessory packages (Godfather) that replicate nearly all special features from CE's...

#26192 7 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Damn Panzer I thought you said you were done and going to shut up ?

Lol nope. The no code updates for 700 days made the official JJP Facebook page today along with a bunch of other people complaining about a lack of code updates for the game.

Customers have had it! Want to sell more games JJP? Then polish and finish the code. This shouldn't be so hard to do, the wait is beyond ridiculous at this point. No more betas either. Maybe they really don't care about their customers anymore JJP used to comment on people's code complaints made on their Facebook page but it's all silence lately.

vbvbv (resized).pngvbvbv (resized).png

#26196 7 months ago

Yup, keep hounding them, and eventually, maybe a code update will come. Crazy that this is what we must resort to. Finish the fucking game for Gods sake.

Yup. Nearly two years and still nothing. Meanwhile Stern has put out probably 50 - 100 updates in that time.

#26201 7 months ago

700 days of no GNR code updates is the main topic and headline of Kaneda's latest show. People are fed up! Glad this is getting more and more attention across this community.

#26224 7 months ago

Code will be complete and polished as soon as Pirates and GNR code is done. So 2032 or somewhere around there lol.

#26227 7 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Maybe quicker to reach out to Slash.
Iā€™m sure he wants a code update too.
One phone call from him is all thatā€™s needed.

Sounds like the code update is being timed with the release of the next GNR album.

#26231 7 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Somebody here ask Panzer if heā€™ll take me off his ignore list when the new GnR code comes out real soon?
Lol

Unignored! lol. I was taking things too seriously and apologize.

#26296 6 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Well now PanzerFreak can at least reset his counter

Reviewing all of the gameplay change notes now! After 700+ days of no code updates this 2.0 update must be massive with a ton of gameplay changes.

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

audio (resized).jpgaudio (resized).jpg

#26298 6 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Write down all the ones you notice while you're playing. They're all Easter eggs, except the EQ. They said they didn't want to make it easy on panzer and felt bad releasing an update to reset your clock. So they came up with the empty release notes idea to give you something to chew on. Who knew they loved you that much? JJP cares!

I just love how nearly everything that people have been complaining about isnā€™t in this update lol. Well, at least itā€™s not in the release notes. Not surprised when JJP made such a big deal about an audio equalizer of all things.

2.0!

#26300 6 months ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

I just played a couple games on her and I canā€™t see any changes to code. Slash solo is definitely still the same. Plenty of MB modes to keep me busy. And no obvious tweaks to scoring. Still a great game I will never part with just a let down after a long wait thinking they were going to polish the code out. It would have been EPIC to see a new song!

JJP used the 2.0 tag for this update which makes it seem like it contains big changes but instead thereā€™s very little actually in it in terms of gameplay changes. Beyond disappointing after this long of a wait.

#26304 6 months ago

IMG_4169 (resized).jpegIMG_4169 (resized).jpeg

#26388 6 months ago

Going to take a break from complaining about code (I'll try my best!) and actually give this game another shot with the 2.0 update + setting changes posted by @Eskaybee.

I haven't given these settings a try yet but it seems promising.

gfgf (resized).jpggfgf (resized).jpg

#26446 6 months ago

813x5f (resized).jpg813x5f (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#26521 6 months ago

Really hoping we hear about a big new code update for this game at Expo that actually impacts gameplay (with community feedback implemented) versus a few bug fixes + an audio equalizer.

#26541 6 months ago

JJP should know something is wrong when so many GNR owners are posting how to ā€œfixā€ the game through multiple settings changes. Ridiculous what the code situation has become with this game.

Excited to spend $12k - $15k on Elton John after this mess? Ummm, no lol.

#26552 6 months ago

So I watched the JJP seminar and there was no announcement number 2 or 3. Good news is they didnā€™t say no more code updates for GNR PanzerFreak
[quoted image]

Lol. Get hyped!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-expo-2023-surprise-2-and-3-thread-code-updates-connected

#26574 6 months ago

The song multiball modes just are not unique to each other. Itā€™s just a barfing of 6 balls flying everywhere every time. The boosters actually are unique somewhat. Just would be nice like DE GNR (which Lyman coded) which you definitely can tell each multiball mode is unique. 6 balls should always be reserved for something special like the final Wizard. I think exploring tweaking the Game Settings should add some life back into this game. We can always use the stock presets to set it back to default

Yup. This has been my main issue with Keith Johnson's latest rulesets, they are too generic for the sake of having a ton of modes but the mode count doesn't matter when all the modes play the same. Pirates did this, GNR did this, and Godfather also does this (multiballs are very generic). I don't get it. It's also Pirates and GNR that are the two most incomplete and unpolished JJP games.

There's a lack of mode choreography in terms of unique animations and shots in GNR. Sure the light shows are all unique (very cool) but you don't play those. Personally I would have preferred most focused story based modes with stages. Factor in having a number of other multiballs stacking with a song mode and you can't tell what the hell is going on. It's sure great when you have a song mode going, 1 - 4 other multiballs, and then the announcer says "Shoot Everything" for some other generic mode. At that point it seems like nothing matters.

My hope for a proper 2.0 code update was seeing JJP fix the scoring issues that owners have been complaining about for 2 years and create some more unique moments within the code. Instead after a two year wait we got Score Bit removed and an Audio Equalizer added.

#26575 6 months ago

The song multiball modes just are not unique to each other. Itā€™s just a barfing of 6 balls flying everywhere every time. The boosters actually are unique somewhat. Just would be nice like DE GNR (which Lyman coded) which you definitely can tell each multiball mode is unique. 6 balls should always be reserved for something special like the final Wizard. I think exploring tweaking the Game Settings should add some life back into this game. We can always use the stock presets to set it back to default

Wanted to mention this separately, may have already been posted.

A setting change that helps tone down multiballs during song modes is not allowing any additional balls to be earned when the mode is playing. This makes adding more balls before a song mode starts more interesting and valuable IMO. What you start with at the beginning of a song mode is what you get. That setting change combined with changing the song mode ball saver time to 30 seconds from 60 seconds helps create a more fun experience. Now to just tone down the booster MB's with the setting suggested here.

#26593 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Were the later builds of this game fixed? Or do some things still need tweaked to prevent playfield issues?

I think it was around late June of 2021 when builds started to come from the factory with the upgraded posts and washers. For earlier build games JJP would offer to send out the "fix" kit.

Below is the diagram JJP sent out for the "fix" kit

Pinside_forum_6394744_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6394744_0 (resized).jpg

#26662 5 months ago
Quoted from loanguy7171973:

Hi Guys - getting a NIB LE delivered in the next couple of days. Canā€™t wait. Any recommendations before playing it? Itā€™s in the 4000ā€™s so itā€™s a later run. Fully Cliffyā€™s recommended? Anything else?

Awesome, congrats!

These are my three musts for all NIB games

1. PinGuard mylar protectors (protects area around flipper buttons, especially against ring slap saves): https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-flipper-button-wear-protector-set.html

2. PinGuard nylon leg and bolt protectors (armor powder coat will scratch around leg bolts without these): https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-nylon-leg-and-bolt-protectors-colored.html

3. Mylar in shooter lane, just the first 3-4 inches or so of the shooter lane.

#26664 5 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Number one I never did.. No signs of ever needing it.
Number two I ordered from pinmonk.com along with the airball shield mentioned, and the coil fans Which made a huge difference.
Number three I never did and my shooter lane looks the same... This isn't a stern.

You will never realize you need mylar protectors around the flippers buttons until it's too late. One slap save by a person with a ring on and the decal is damaged forever. Stories about this happening have been posted here.

I need to check out those coil fans.

#26670 5 months ago

LTG is about the only JJP team player you can always count on. Unfortunately I donā€™t have much positive to say about the other JJPā€™ers, esp those responsible for the short cut menus. Look at this, NONE of the install presets are programmed with the exception of pricing - the LEAST important presets unless youā€™re an international operator. So weā€™re on our own with manually configuring the game settings. Why you do dis to mi dimmi? Come on JJP!

Iā€™m sure those items will be filled in with the next code update in another 700+ days.

#26690 5 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

This image will fucking haunt my dreams for quite some time!
What song did he use it on?

1. I've heard people praise these and then people against them. Are they more for hand wear or slapping damage, like you mentioned? I don't even nudge, frankly. Sacrilege!!!
I just got a NIB delivered two days ago myself!

Both. To me those flipper area protectors are cheap insurance versus having decal damage that would negatively impact game value.

#26727 5 months ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Are the Mylar flipper button protectors a must have for my soon-to-be machine ? If they needed to come off for whatever reason, would that damage the decal ?

I do this to every NIB game I buy. It protects against decal wear and protects against decal damage from slap saves (can happen easy if someone has a ring on). I've never had to remove one.

2 weeks later
#26856 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Donā€™t worry guys you know JJP is working on a speedy fix for this problem. Itā€™ll be in there next regularly scheduled updateā€¦

Yes, 2026 is right around the corner for the next GNR code update.

1 week later
#26953 4 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

More fixes just released...
GNR Beta 38 is available
Fixes lamp shows for Nightrain, Paradise City, Better. (Nightrain is the most obvious change.)

Beta 38, beta 48, beta 58, whatever. Give us an update that actually changes, polishes, and adds to gameplay!

#26963 4 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Your light shows are broken dude.
The songs have been messed up. If you're on any other beta or production, sans 1.25, light shows are broken.

The 3.0 update will fix them all in 2026, I heard there's some new audio equalizer features coming with the update.

#27003 4 months ago

Any way we can get these presets working so we can save custom game settings to them? Right now theyā€™re blank.
[quoted image]

I'm sure JJP will add those with the next "big" code update in a year or two.

1 week later
#27070 3 months ago

JJP hinting at something or just blowing the question off? It comes across like a "will you stop complaining" reply. Wow.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

200w (1).gif200w (1).gif

#27124 3 months ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

$8000 for an LE these days?!? That's F'n nuts. Why are people dumping these at any cost?

Quoted from romulusx:

I hear you man this game is badass! The scoring could be more balanced and play tweaked but I think Pinside figured it out with the settings adjustments.Iā€™ve owned a lot of games but this one is a blast

Lack of code updates have negatively impacted resale value. Customers shouldn't have to make dozens of settings changes in an attempt to fix the game while the manufacturer waits 2+ years to properly finish and polish code.

After seeing GNR prices tank is anyone really excited to drop $12k+ on a future JJP pin? Not here lol.

The sad part is JJP doesn't seem to care, posting this again as this was their most recent reply to a customer about a GNR code update. Ridiculous.

Untitled.pngUntitled.png
200w (1).gif200w (1).gif

#27155 3 months ago
Quoted from PocketHoleshot:

I'll be streaming some GNR LE today. 3:30 p.m. MST. Stop by and hang out...
https://www.twitch.tv/pocketholeshot
I wish we had new code to stream!

New code coming 2027! Big audio equalizer changes incoming.

#27161 3 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Guys, there is no new code coming. This is it. You will attack this game the same way for the rest of its days. You will continue to skip the album modes and time out slash solo. You will have purchased more spotlight servos than you ever thought possible. One day you will decide to manually change the settings, like many of you have, to try and make the game ā€œbetter.ā€ Before you sell it, you will take the glass off to experience the wizard mode, which you will realize is an incoherent mess.
The day you sell it for $7,500 will be a good day and you will have no regrets. You will stalk this thread forever, hoping you were wrong to part ways because a shiny code update finally arrived, but it never will.
- The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

LOL. Do you even own GNR anymore or did you really just come back here to troll?

#27162 3 months ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

Yeah, It's getting old. We all know it needs to happen but man i'm pretty sure that when it will happen it will be a big one. we all need to have some patience, yeah, yeah.....

Yes because waiting literally multiple years to have the code properly completely isnā€™t being patient enough. The wait is beyond ridiculous at this point. JJP is only proving they donā€™t care about their customers. Now who wants to buy their next pin for $12k+? lol not many GNR owners who feel burned.

#27164 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I hear you and but starting to feel naive in my optimism.The after Christmas rumors got me pumped up thinking new code was coming.
If theyā€™re done the should release a statement saying they are!!

I'm now hearing rumors that the next big code update will drop on Valentine's Day or Easter. What year though is another question.

4 weeks later
#27490 82 days ago
Quoted from Guitarpinman:

Hi all, perhaps against my better judgement I'll be getting a G'n'R LE in a few days (big Slash and G'n'R fan, do thought it'd be cool to own one at least once in my life, but not expecting Metsllica levels of gameplay greatness - only played a G'n'R a couple of times)
My LE already has prescision flippers fitted, so excited to see what that's like.
So what's the general consensus re; if JJP will release any more code updates? - I know there was mention early on that Co-Op would likely be introduced late in the code. As there are still NIB Guns being sold, surely it'd be worth it to release updated code and would also give buyers of say Godfather/Elton John etc confidence that they will be supported with updates for some time to come?

I've given up on JJP making actual meaningful code changes to this game. It's been 2+ years and nothing other then an audio equalizer.

1 week later
#27558 75 days ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

JJP can suck $400 out of my ass. FINISH THE CODE.

LOL

Code update is right around the corner in 2030, rumor has it an audio equalizer 3.0 is being implemented.

3 weeks later
#27798 49 days ago

Glad to see that JJP is FINALLY addressing code issues with GNR. Itā€™s a miracle. Thank you everyone who never gave up complaining about code after all these years and yes thank you JJP

#27811 48 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

End of Q2 is June. June is right around the corner and Sounds like they have a long way to go, hope they deliver. Stern used to promise dates and it blew up in there face. Cheers and good luck JJP, we are pulling for you.
Scoring balance can be fixed in settings on current software, so id argue slash solo is the biggest problem for me; not just scoring but integration of the mode is a mess. Iā€™d also add that I would rather see an emphasized power chord jackpot (ie release all the balls at once if you score a jackpot; one at a time otherwise) and more choreography and moments with the album and wizard modes.

Well, they didnā€™t say what year lol. jk

#27905 42 days ago

Yeah even WVH showed up
[quoted image]

Rumor has it Slash was more then up for an Oscars appearance after hearing that JJP is coming out with a substantial GNR code update.

1 month later
#28345 3 days ago
Quoted from STVPIN:

GnR Allen Wrench Mod...
[quoted image]

Very nice, is that the GNR Allen Wrench LE mod from JJP for $199.98?

#28374 18 hours ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Just had a nice long session on b45.
Really enjoyed playing all the modes and feels much more balanced overall. I wasn't avoiding anything and pulling in some good scores all around... Every mode was worth it to me and wasnt disappointed getting it, and not grumbling at the result. I completed swpag mode probably for the second time ever and that was cool. Dd got to the last car. Tfc I was so close.. ss didn't seem annoying, coma multiball after coma was cool, and tour multiball even gave me 3 or 4 million ... Songs were great with super lock timeout set to zero.... And if when I just want to keep going, I have enabled coin door ball saver and can explore the game indefinitely...

Yeah the new betas with score balancing are coming along great! Lots of nice improvements. Finally! Glad to see that JJP is getting it done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

12,060 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 11,000.00
8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.